Caps 5, Flyers 3

Brooks Laich's slump is over. Alex Ovechkin's penalty shot drought is history. And so might a local restaurant's profit margin if the Caps keep scoring at this clip.

With a 5-3 win over the Flyers this afternoon, the Caps regained first place in the Eastern Conference by recording five or more goals for the fifth time in their past six games. When they do that at home (and they've done so three times during that stretch) it means fans can redeem their ticket stub for 10 free wings at Glory Days.

Which leads me to the quote of the season. After converting his first career penalty shot (on his sixth attempt) Ovechkin told reporters: "I just wanted to give the fans free chicken wings."

Like most of the Caps, Ovechkin was in a good mood again after this afternoon's pummeling of a hated rival. And why not? They're on a roll. They've won three in a row, six of their past seven and are back on top of the conference.

Check out my gamer here, Gene Wang's sidebar on Laich here, and then come on back for a few notes that didn't make the paper:

*Ovechkin's penalty shot goal marked his 2,000th shot of his four-and-a-half year career. No other player accomplished that in his first six seasons.

*Mike Knuble now has six goals in six games. I would tell you how he scored it, but something tells me you already know.

*With a goal and an assist, Alexander Semin has 11 points in his last seven games. He also had the move of the night. Late in the first period, Semin sent a no look cross ice pass between his skates to a cutting Nicklas Backstrom. It did not result in a goal, but it certainly was pretty.

*After struggling early (like many of his teammates), Jose Theodore bounced back with a solid effort in the second and third periods to pick up his third straight win.

"He steadied the course and made us feel comfortable in the second period," Boudreau said. "We got the lead and I was very secure with him today, as I was the last game."

The save of the night, however, belonged to Tom Poti late in the second period on Jeff Carter. (There's more on that in my gamer).

*The Caps' 22 shots were a season low. They took only five in the third period as they protected their lead.

*The Caps also took six penalties and surrendered two power play goals. That marked the fourth straight game that they've taken more penalties than the opposition. (Me and my big mouth).

*Another impressive performance by rookie defenseman John Carlson, who looks much more NHL ready on this stint than he did in his first. Today, he blocked two shots and was a plus-2 for the night.

Practice tomorrow is at 11.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 17, 2010; 8:24 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Brooks Laich, Philadelphia Flyers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's game: Flyers at Caps
Next: Morning roundup: Caps stay hot

Comments

Flyers suck! Flyers suck!

How that warms my heart...

Posted by: crooks_c | January 17, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

@rachel...thanks for the chimera article link. i completely missed it!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 17, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

great to see some humour from Tarik.
Good game by Caps. 100% PP is always nice to see )

Posted by: Hazz | January 17, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Got back home from the game. We stayed around the VC area, ate at the Green Turtle and watched a lot of the Chargers/Jets game.

Observations:

Initially, the Caps weren't looking too good. The Flyers had many more shots on goal and scored on a PP. Fortunately, the Caps tied it up. By the end of the first period, it was tied up. I wondered if it was going to be one of those uber high scoring games.

Glad that Laich is scoring again. That's the way we Laich it when one of our major offensive cogs is back on the beam.

Good game by Semin, even though he's playing with a wrist injury and getting cortisone injections to stay in the lineup (and seeing the doctor). (I think the people who say that Semin won't play through injury can just shut up.)

Somehow the Caps managed to win, even though they seemed to have a parade of guys going to the penalty box and the Flyers had very few -- a total of 2, once on a coincidental minor. At least the Caps scored on their one and only power play today.

The Caps killed all the penalties, except for the first and the last. The last PK resulted in a "who cares, we've already won the game" type of goal that screws up the goalie's statistics. (The Flyers had also pulled their goalie, making things even more challenging.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

CapsSkins: No problem. =)

Ovie quotes are the best! Always makes me laugh. He's so delightful.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 17, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Not to put too fine a point on it, Tarik, but at least two of those penalties that were called on the Caps ... I have no words for how weaksauce the call on Schultz and the call on Poti were, or for how downright BAD the refereeing was tonight.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 17, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz: Agree completely on the officiating. Marouelli should join McCreary in retirement.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 17, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

Somehow the Caps won the last two games, even with the disparity in penalties called.

How did the Flyers become such a disciplined team all of a sudden?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

Discliplined? Oh...you were certainly being sarcastic. With that "idiot" (BB's favorite phrase) Carcillo and fiesty as ever Hartnell..there was so many calls that Dan "Broad Street" Marouelli looked the other way on. Trip on Ovechkin, cross check on Backstrom, instigation on Hartnell...Oh well, after the game -- I stood outside "F" St. waving to all the orange jersies for a while: "Have a safe drive back. Thank you for coming."

They are not in our division, but without question - our most hated rival. "Flyers Suck" !!!

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | January 17, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan75,

they didn't. The officials were really hosing the caps today. How does Coburn not get called for that BS on Semin? Suddenly the flyers are not thugs?? It was clearly obvious that the referees were trying to keep the game close and it's total crap.

Posted by: O-V-P | January 17, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

So sweet to beat the Flyers, but even more so seeing Laich break out of the slump, what a beauty that shortie was.

Posted by: Gould23 | January 17, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

@Political_Stratgst

Of course I was being sarcastic about the Flyers suddenly becoming "disciplined".

Enjoyed the Caps beating the Flyers despite no help from the officiating. (And also enjoyed hearing the news that the Vikings demolished the Cowboys today, as well.)

I hate the Penguins much worse than I hate the Flyers. (Even though I refer to the Flyers as Philthy and one of the posters on Japers keeps getting upset with me for doing that.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Could somebody please explain how the Caps, when protecting a lead against two of the bigger thug teams in the NHL turn into goons and their notorious opponents do nothing wrong?

Posted by: CapsNut | January 17, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

"...I refer to the Flyers as Philthy and one of the posters on Japers keeps getting upset with me for doing that."
Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 10:12

Clearly, that person has never visited the 'city of brotherly love'.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | January 17, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan - All things are relative. I think the new coach is having an effect, and the Flyers engaged in less of their usual nonsense.

Posted by: zmega | January 17, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

@zmega - you may be right, Carcillo didn't sucker punch anyone this time

Posted by: Gould23 | January 17, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@Wiley_One1

I think you're right about that. I believe that person's posting name is "CapsFaninSeattle" or something similar. Hence, from the Pac Northwest, I would assume.

That person is the political correctness policeman on the Japers' Blog. (He or she doesn't like the term "Crysby" either but complains more about me using Philthy.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@CapsNut

I've been wondering about that myself.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

@Wiley_One1

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

LAME! All forms of expression for ragging on philthy or s*itsburg are completely acceptable!!

Posted by: mrszilla | January 17, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

While I know some think that Philly is our greatest rival I can tell you from my standpoint there is no rival like the ladies from Pennsyltucky! I can't stand anything that comes from Pittsburgh. Sorry but Pitt will always be my #1 rival and there would be no sweeter victory than for us to beat them in the conference finals this yr on our way to our 1st Cup.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 17, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

The Violet went to philthy and turned into The Violent. New coach, same waste dump of humanity.

I saw at least 6 missed (ignored) interference calls on orange. In the late 2nd period and in the 3rd, philthy was continually hitting guys before they got possession of the puck. Of course it was mostly hartnell. Christ I wish somebody would knock that freak's clown wig off his head.

There IS a conspiracy. The Canadian Mafia in Toronto is doing everything they can to marginalize, minimize and detract from the Caps success. Because the Russians are Russian and because they don't like Greenie's image (if he was a squeaky clean pretty boy like Cynthia, he would have been a lock for the Olympics). This is exactly the kind of team Don Cherry and his Clan want to see losing.

How often do you see an overall positive Caps article at NHL.com? They are like Bigfoot and Nessy; I don't think they exist.

Posted by: large23220 | January 18, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh has been the biggest and most hated rival since I've been paying attention in the early 90s. I think the Philly hatred comes from the first couple decades of Caps-dom. And the fact that Philly is the only city in America even more unpleasant than DC...

Posted by: butcherbaker | January 18, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

This team is awesome. Just straight awesome.

Ted, though probably more Snyder than we'd like to admit, has built an awesome team. Very fun to watch.

I'm just nostalgic for the pizza goal and a free small pie from jerry's

Posted by: CF11555 | January 18, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Some stats for your reading pleasure:

* The Caps assist leader isn't Nick Backstrom. It's Mike Green (37) - higher than Backs(35) and good for 5th in the league

* The Caps have 4 +20 players and 7 of the top 22 players in the league in +/-

* Flash leads the league in shooting percentage among players who have 40+ shots (Knuble and Fehr are both in the top 30)

* The Caps are in the bottom half of the league in winning percentage when scoring first (18th, .677) but are 1st in the league when opponents score first (.529)

* Kind of a weird one, but the Caps are tied for the most Game Misconducts...

* The Caps haven't lost a game by 2 goals. They've lost 6 by 3, 6 by 1 in regulation, and 6 in OT/SO

Posted by: Raber | January 18, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

what the hell are you smoking cf...and give me some. ted is the furthest thing from snyder and is the only owner in town that has a clue how to run a successful franchise.

on another note...anyone see the shootout in the detroit/chicago game. that was the best one i have seen in awhile. that change-up goal by detroit was awesome!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 18, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. I couldn't believe the way Howard finally got beat. I was expecting something a little more epic.

He lost in SO, but that kid is GOOD.

Posted by: large23220 | January 18, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Large - there's plenty of good press around about our boys. I'm not a conspiracy theorist outside of JFK so I don't in any way think the NHL Gods/World is against us. Quite the contrary. I believe Bettman & CO would love to do nothing more than to promote OV. Yes I understand our PP's last yr compared to Pitts were way off but I would rather assert that to 1 ref vs. the conspiracy of the world. Come on bro! Would you rather be us or 25 other teams looking up at us?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 18, 2010 3:30 AM | Report abuse

@LARGE - in the words of the ESPN NFL crew..... COME ON MAN!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 18, 2010 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: butcherbaker | January 18, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

WTF? insulting Philly is one thing, but seems kinda ridiculous to insult DC here.

I take it you don't get to DC much, huh? You're missing out.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 5:34 AM | Report abuse

"I just wanted to give the fans free chicken wings."

Ovechkin always chuckles me!

Posted by: arakakij | January 18, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Was Pronger just going through the motions, saving himself for the playoffs?

He was only -1 but took just one shot on goal through all those "penalties".

Posted by: Bartolo1 | January 18, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to the Caps for giving me bragging rights here in my current domicile of Philadelphia. It was fun to both see the Caps play relatively well and win, and resist numerous temptations, no doubt, to fall into the Flyers goon trap with fights, etc. We simply matched their physical play. Still too many PK's, but some of the calls were very weak. Let's hope they do it again against Detroit, and this time, unlike the past, there won't be more Detroit fans than Caps fans in the audience.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | January 18, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

butcherbaker is dead wrong. DC is a great city. Philly does suck (I know. I live here), but there is definitely one, maybe two cities that are much worse -- Pittsburgh and Buffalo. Try attending Caps games there sometime, and look at the fans. . .

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | January 18, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Those Detroit fans ARE caps fan...how many people reading this blog, are Michigan transplants to DC, and pull for the Caps EXCEPT when the Wings are in town? I think I just named about 3000 fans at every Caps game.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 18, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

would like to see the Caps win a 3-1 or 4-3 contest this week . We need a top defenseman by trade deadline . We will not win the cap without one , Im sorry Matt Bradley cost us a goal yesterday by not clearing out . We do that alot and it is not going to work for us if we keep up the sloppy play !

But I love my caps enough to say these things

Posted by: terryreece | January 18, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Pronger looked horrible not to mention he should have been whistled for at least two obstruction interference calls. Was it Green he tried to line up and missed so bad behind the net? Lucky the boards were there or he would have ended up in the parking lot.

Posted by: IceNutz | January 18, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm normally the one that defends the refs on here. Yesterday, yikes! It was almost like a WWF match where the refs attention was diverted as a chair was whacked against someones head.

Great effort by the boys!

Posted by: FLDave | January 18, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

terryreece -

We have "top defensemen" already. Who can argue against Green as one of our offensive-minded D, as well as Poti and Pothier? Schultz has been playing great this year and Alzner and Carlson are close behind. One could make a point that the team's rebuild is complete up front, and through draft picks, is just about there on D. Overall, we have an offensive-minded team and because of that our goals against is going to be higher than other teams. Look at our goal differential and the plus/minus stats. Not bad, eh?

Posted by: gonchpup | January 18, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

@Bartolo1

So Pronger is saving himself for the playoffs. Last time I checked, the Flyers were out of the top 8.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 18, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface1208 & butcherbaker

I'm with you folks on Pittsburgh hatred. I was originally a baseball fan and disliked the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 70's for all the indignities they visited on my favorite teams (Cardinals and Orioles). I was not too favorably disposed to the Penguins as a result. As time passed, I disliked the Penguins more as they were a major rival of the Caps over the years. And at this point, I root for anyone over the Penguins. (Although if the NY Islanders got good again and reared their ugly heads, I would hate them again as I am not a fan of NY teams in general.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 18, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Well, like a lot of posters here (we've had this discussion), I gew up in Pgh. I was glad to root for the Pirates beating up on the O's and Cards (but those days are long gone), and I became a Caps fan by going to Landover to see the Pens play. (I'm not a fan of the Pens or Bucs anymore, but I'll always be a Steelers fan).

I'm a ten year Caps STH and I hate the Pens with a passion. Nonetheless, Pittsburgh is a beautiful city with very friendly people -- tho it seems like Pens fans fall short most of the time.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

List of teams/cities I hate the most:

1) New York. Yankees, Rangers and Mets. Growing up in Baltimore, NY was nothing but the big bully on the block that always took your lunch money.

1A) Pittsburgh. Pens, Pirates and Steelers. The Pirates whipped the O's twice in WS, the Steelers have been a thorn in the Ravens' side (and Colts in 70s) and what the Pens have done to Caps since 91-92 Playoffs has been painful.

3) The state of North Carolina, due to Duke, North Carolina and NC State in college BB. God how I hated it when Dean Smith would put up those four fingers when he was up 42-40 with ten+ minutes to go in the game. That 4 Corners almost ruined the sport. I have given up college BB because the last two minutes takes an hour to play, as the continuous fouling has REALLY ruined it.

4) Philadelphia. Like it or lump it (as Cindy says), Filthy only comes in 4th for me. The Eagles have never been a rival and the Phillies never did anything to the O's (except lose, thanks). As for the Flyers, they've only beaten the Caps once. Actually, the biggest thing to hate in Filthy is the people.

5) Boston. I always felt a kindred spirit with Bostonians growing up as they and us Baltimorons were the two Yankee haters. Now, though, with the Patriots and Red Sox winning so much, it's like the Kraken has been released and we see that they are just as beastial as New Yorkers (but they don't spit on kids like Filthydelphians).

Everything's a list these days, so there's my top five.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

good for you admitting that you switched from the Pens to a Caps fan.

There are people on Penguins blogs, that dont accept that people like you exist.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 18, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

good for you admitting that you switched from the Pens to a Caps fan.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 18, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

We do. It was not hard to switch -- the Pens just have had our number so bad, for a while it seemed like they were toying with us, particularly in the early MCI Center days. Last year looked different, but alas Game 7.

It's a new day, I believe firmly.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: large23220 | January 18, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

what success? the only success that counts for anything is playoff success.

you wanna shut'em up? they're gonna have to at least make it to the finals

Posted by: joek443 | January 18, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Here's another list: Top 5 Pittsburgh athletes I totally DESPISE:

1) Mario Lemieux. Some great players, like Gretzky, I simply admire. Others, Messier is included here, I don't like but respect grudgingly. Lemieux though always acted like a snot. I was so heppy when Bobby Gould beat him up. I wish Gould would drive over to Lemieux's house, ring the doorbell and beat him up again.
2) Cindy Crosby. He'll eventually be #1, but he hasn't annoyed me for as many years as Lemieux.
3) Jagr. I never met him, but I'm guessing he's a totally unlikeable individual. With him, it was "Me, me and me."
4) Willie Stargell. Anytime I head that "We Are Family" song, I want to get out my Pops Stargell voodoo doll and hammer it with the nail gun.
5) Bruce Kison. He was the reliefer who shut down O's to win both in 71 and 79.
6) OK, gotta make it six, cuz Ben Roethlisberger's face just annoys the crap out of me. Boy do I love it when a Ravens linebacker pile drives him into the ground. How's the motorcycle riding coming along, Ben?

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

OK, @tominfl1, I can understand Jagr, maybe Lemieux, though I don't quite see that. The others are there because they have been so darned good. I understand the whole We Are Family thing got a bit out of hand and probably felt like the Braves' Tomahawk Chop did to me when they kept beating the Pirates, but hate Stargell? the guy was a gentle giant. He was a fine man and earned his elder leader status by the '79 series.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Geez, I forgot to put the NY Jets and Joe Willie Namath as a reason for hating NY so much. It was like when you forget something your mind can't handle.

I should also note that the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 70s have nothing but my total respect. Along with Canadiens of 70s and Gretzky's Oilers, you can list them as my "model franchises." I can almost put late 60s Orioles and Colts there, but they didn't win quite enough. I guess I can include on the model list Jordan's Bulls and the Celtics from the 60s since Bill Russell was such a respectable player.

Hopefully ten years from now we can look back and have the Caps on that list.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1
LMAO....nice old school pull on Bobby Gould. While he is there can he take care of Cindy as well?

Posted by: DBnMD | January 18, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Sonyask: My whole Stargell hate was only because he was the "Dad" of that Fam-i-lee group. I don't hate him nearly as much as the three Pens though. His is a one-time hatred. All of those Pirate wives dancing up in the stands...and that d@mned song (that would be Sister Sludge) being played over and over...and a million more times at their victoty parade. I simply despise that 79 Pirate team as much as any baseball team ever, except maybe the 69 Met team. No, the Pirates are most hated because of the song. There's...wait a minute...the Yankee team that won because the kid reached over the fence and caught Jeter's HR ball that would have been an out...the 96 Yanks...I hate them pretty good. Any team that puts kids with gloves in the stands to cheat - yup, hate em.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I remember when the Caps had their preseason in Russia. The Russians voted Bobby Gould the most handsome Caps player. That gave me a good chuckle...

Posted by: FLDave | January 18, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

You might want to add Dave Parker to your love list so that you don't seem like a total Pitt hater. Parker is a great guy who participates in a lot of charities. I met him this fall at a charity and he was just an awesome, grounded man.

Posted by: FLDave | January 18, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1, I can see that.

I had just moved out west in '79 and befriended a group house full of Annapolis ex-pats. We watched that series together religiously, and when the Pirates took the series and one housemate turned off the TV in disgust, the biggest O's fan among them yelled out -- Turn that back on; this fan's team just won the World Series.

I know that won't be mistaken for you Tom (joking), but I thought it was a good moment.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@DBnMD: I'm thinking Gould could just go wild and lay out Lemieux like last time and then march down into the basement where he can take care of both Crysby and McCreary. BTW, you can read all about it in Mario's new book:

"My Life With Cindy and McCreary's Pink Outfit."

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Sonyask: Oh, I watched. You can bet I watched. And then I watched the highlights from the parade where they just kept playing the song OVER and OVER.

As for Dave Parker, no hate at all. I remember once he was RF in the All-Star game and some one popped it down the right field line. Parker raced over; grabbed the ball on one hop; then spun and fired an absolute bullet straight on a line to the catcher. What an arm. Jesse Barfield had an arm too, and that reminds me that I HATED, yes, HATED, the Blue Jays from like 89 through 93.

By the way, as we speak, contractors are building a new wing in the Lemieux mansion so McCreary has some place to stay after he retires. Him and Cindy, together forever.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I didn't get to see a lot of Gretky here in the East but got to see basically the entire career of Lemieux... yeah he could be annoying especially when he beat up on the Caps but the Caps beat up on him and his team pretty good in his first few years in the NHL as well. Gussy used to frustrate the heck outta him.

just goes to show that you can only hold down the great ones for so long and hopefully Ovie and the Caps can eventually do the same.

Posted by: joek443 | January 18, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

LOL.

Hey, I have to call-out Tarik for this nugget in his "gamer" today: "But James van Riemsdyk restored the Flyers' lead with an ordinary-looking shot that eluded Theodore." Wait a sec. Theo was screened entirely on that JVR shot by 3, yes 3, Caps, who were staggered to block out any view right in front of him.

Theo should have gotten the first one -- though Carter's shot was wicked it was straightforward -- but I don't blame him for the 2nd or the 3rd; I put those on our D, with an assist from the refs on the third.

Jose gets no love at all from Tarik. Indeed, I think Tarik likes to stir the pot on Theo.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 18, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I remember one game in which Gussy completely shut down Lemieux and towards the end of the game Super Mario gave Gussy a little tab with his stick, aknowledging the job Gussy did on him.

so he wasn't a complete jerk.

Posted by: joek443 | January 18, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of players I despise, yesterday on the broadcast either Joe B or Locker mentioned that the Flyers had hired Derian Hatcher to mentor the young prospects in their organization.

Yes, you heard that right.

Kind of like if the US Gov't hired Moammar Qaddafi to mentor the young people in the State Department.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 18, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I've always hated the NY and PA teams. Not because of the uniforms, players or even the stadiums. It was the cities and the high percentage of scumbags that reside within them.

Posted by: FLDave | January 18, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

tominfl1

Good call on Hatcher!

Posted by: FLDave | January 18, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

We need a puck clearing, hard checking, fast skating, stay at home defensman that can score goals. Make it happen GMGM.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 18, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@CapsXXVI

Magic wand time? I can't think of a single defenseman available who has all those qualities. Get Scott Stevens to come out of retirement maybe?

Who can the Caps get and what do they have to give in return?

Posted by: FLDave | January 18, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if I posted this link correctly. This article really moved me and gave me a lot to think about. I think it's worth taking a look at if you have the time.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 18, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

the Caps desperately wanted to draft the younger Hatcher but Minnesota took him one spot ahead of him in the draft... they ended up with John Slaney instead

Posted by: joek443 | January 18, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@CapsXXVI

Who can the Caps get and what do they have to give in return?

Posted by: FLDave | January 18, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

But but, thats what we we you know...need! hOW r we win CUp without superman defensaman?

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 18, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@joek443,

I also remember seeing Lemieux go out of his way to give a nod to Don Beaupre after he made an incredible save on a Lemieux shot.

Posted by: grackle5 | January 18, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse