Caps 5, Hurricanes 4 (SO)

Tarik will be back with the big picture and quotes from tonight, but this is the kind of game you have to start talking about right away, isn't it? The Caps held on to win this dogfight, 5-4, in a shootout at a raucous Verizon Center after both teams traded punches all game (metaphorically speaking; there weren't any 5 for fightings).

Alex Ovechkin scored the game-clincher in the shootout, Mike Green broke out of his scoring slump and Alexander Semin scored his 29th goal, tallied in the shootout and added three assists.

The Caps avoided losing their fifth straight game at home and added to their division lead despite allowing a tying goal from Niklas Wallin halfway through the third period.

Stay tuned for a wrap-up, coming soon.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  March 14, 2009; 9:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup: Hurricanes at Capitals
Next: Semin, Theodore Help Caps End Home-Ice Slump

Comments

im not worried about either of those.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

how about neither...i am more worried about the flyers!

Posted by: CapsSkins | March 14, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah...and our defensive lapses! theo has proven he will be a more than adequate goalie for the playoffs.

Posted by: CapsSkins | March 14, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Yea, I'll need a none of the above option on that one as well.

At this point, I'm most worried about focus and consistency. 2 1/2 good games won't win a playoff series.

Posted by: Ames00 | March 14, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

You have got to be kidding me. Whoever posted this poll is non respectful of Theo's great game tonight.

Posted by: mauree | March 14, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Agreed neither

More worried about the Caps defense wilting in the face of a good forecheck. Thank goodness teams don't aggressively forecheck in the playoffs. I can't wait for Alzner and Pothier for the playoffs. Schultz can watch from the pressbox

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 14, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

quote="Alexander Semin had a goal and three assists"
Actually Semin got the winner in SO, so he has 2 goals and 3 assists, right?

Well, Jose Theodore could improve even more :P come the PO.

Posted by: Hazz | March 14, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

OT goals do not count as goals for the season, but in a bit of statistical irony, Semin gets the GWG

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 14, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Ethan Moreau is a beast.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 14, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Semin gets the GWG? Is that true? I mean it can't even be verified since the Canes' third shooter didn't go...

Posted by: Raber | March 14, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Semin seemed fine while congratulating OV. But, anyone notice he seemed to grimace when he (Semin) jumped up against the glass against his shoulder?

Posted by: dezlboy1 | March 14, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Good job Sports Editor :)

Posted by: mauree | March 14, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

can someone identify the artist known as...

washingtonpost.com Sports Editor

Not Katie? Not TEB? Independent Contractor?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 14, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

The First scorer for the team that wins the shoot out gets credited for the GWG. Alex S. was the first Caps scorer in the SO tonight so he gets credited for the GWG even though Ovechkin later scored in the SO.

Posted by: MReilly9 | March 14, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and props to Brodeur on tying the win record. Also, props to the Canadiens' fans who booed their crappy team right up until the final buzzer, and then all stood up and applauded the accomplishment.

Posted by: Raber | March 14, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

am i the only who does not see this poll? hmm..

good game by the CAPS! although there's things that need to be improved. theo was rock solid though!

Posted by: jogabonito | March 14, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's not the first scorer of the SO that gets the GWG in the stat book. It's actually the shooter who scores the goal that's one more than whatever the opposing team ended with. For proof, see Mike Comrie's shootout winning goal today (and he's listed as the GWG getter).

I just think it's silly to be awarding GWGs in a shootout win.

Posted by: Raber | March 14, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Awesome game, because we won. SHould never have let them get back into it, but thankfully it was the refs fault. Terrible tonight, both ways. Kind of the norm around here, eh?
Semin is a freak, a bongo playing freak.
Nice job, Steckel. Thats what I'm talking about. fire.

Posted by: oo7 | March 14, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

they seem to have removed the poll. what was it asking?

Posted by: virkulous | March 14, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@oo7

How do you figure the refs fault? Yeah, the Poti call was marginal, at best. But Carolina didn't score on any of their power plays.

The Caps stopped working late in the second through the remainder of the game. They were out hustled to every puck by a more desperate team and when they got a stick on the puck they didn't clear it.

The most angry I got was when Erskine and Jurcina were both below the goaline with no pressure. One Carolina player came in and pressured Erskine and he turned the puck over.

This team needs to learn to chip the puck out, it has been a problem all season long. Thankfully, JT kept them in it tonight.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | March 14, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game. Not clearing the puck has been a huge issue. I definitely had a few at the game so bear with me, I know TARIK saw me toast him during the "Unleash the Fury" from my nose bleed seats in 416.

Erskine was at fault for the first goal, easy clear attempt that he just happened to chip right into an oncoming Canes player. GG there. I thought it was going to be 4-1 when we had a 3 on 1 going one way when Ovie made the pass to Green but he didn't bury it...ended it coming back the other way and gave up that rebound. I would get on Semin for not clearing it fast enough but he was trying plus he had 4 points tonight I'm not going to get on his case.

3rd and 4th goals were just us kinda lapsing into a sit back and wait type of posture that almost cost us this game...I think overall the top lines did well. Heck there was an actual Nylander making a play sighting tonight, great feed to Backie. Our PP looks great anytime we can get sustained zone pressure. I still wonder how it is we NEVER, EVER get any calls from like the 10 min mark in the 2nd through the end of the game. That's enough for now I'll hit up Tarik on his recap I know he saw me.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 14, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

The fight apparently happened up in section 421 last night... no idea what was going on, but after the game, instead of being able to stay for the three star presentation, the yellow jacketed guys herded everyone out...rather rudely too.

Apparently there was a fight about 10 rows behind me (I'm in the front row), but the arena staff could have been more polite. Screaming "Get your (expletive) asses out of here" is not a way to treat paying customers.

Posted by: MikeL-Caps911 | March 15, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Shootout goals don't count towards season totals, but the goal that is the difference maker in the shootout. Carolina scored 0 goals, so the first one by the Caps (Semin's) is the game winner. He gets credit for a GWG, but does not get credit on his stats line, which reads 1 goal, 3 assists. I don't think he's to worried about it, as a 4 point night is a great night.

On to Atlanta!