Caps 6, Blackhawks 2

That was more like what the Washington Capitals folks are expecting to see this season.

One game after looking out of sync and rusty, the Caps got two goals from Alex Ovechkin, two from Mike Knuble and three assists from Alexander Semin in a 6-2 thrashing of the Blackhawks.

First, the news: While the Caps aren't close to announcing a roster for opening night, Coach Bruce Boudreau dropped made strong statements regarding two players.

When asked about Semyon Varlamov's 26-save performance (that includes 13 stops in the third period), Boudreau said: "I have got to believe Varly has a good chance of being here. He played really well. In the third period, he kept us in. He made some big saves and controlled the rebounds."

Then he made a similar remark when asked about Quintin Laing, who received the second-most shorthanded ice time of any forward and blocked two shots.

"He's giving it a good chance to make the team," Boudreau said. "He never complains. After the last game, he had a little twinge ... I asked him, 'Are you okay?'. He said, 'I'll play, I'll play.'"

Some other notes and quotes:

*Knuble scored another goal off his leg only 2:36 into the game. Then he showed he can score pretty ones two, skating the puck around Patrick Sharp before beating Corey Crawford with a laser from the high slot.

Knuble also had a primary assist on Nicklas Backstrom's goal.

"He's a meat-and-potatoes guy," Boudreau said. "Coaches love guys like that. It's an element we haven't seen around Washington in a while."

*Boudreau also was impressed with the high-risk, high-reward top line of Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin, which made its preseason debut. It was mostly high-reward tonight.

"Those guys were a lot better today, meaning Alex, Alex and Nicky," Boudreau said. "When they're good, they're pretty fun to watch. They're a line that I don't think will stay together for 82 games, but when they're on and they're not just looking for each other to be fancy, they're a pretty unique, skilled line."

*One game after going 0 for 5 on the power play on Monday, the unit went 3 for 6 tonight.

*Semin went down hard in the second period after catching an elbow from Ben Eager. Semin missed a shift or two, but is going to be fine, Boudreau said.

*Tom Poti took three minor penalties (high-sticking, tripping and interference).

*Tyler Sloan also received some praise from Boudreau. The defenseman was solid all night and blocked four shots. "He certainly played good," Boudreau said. "I thought he was as good as we had."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 23, 2009; 11:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Should the Capitals Retire No. 37?
Next: Morning Skate Updates

Comments

What...no Schultz bashing?

Posted by: ralCapsFan | September 23, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I like all 3 players (Ovi, Semin, Backstrom), but i do not like them being on the same line. I understand having to do it if the original line isn't working. Going back to last year and BB's comments about them being "too cute".....it seems like when Ovi and semin are out there together, they don't take the shots they normally would and always try to pass. I think they need to shoot the puck. Just my opinion though. I would love to see Knuble be in front of the net to grab Ovi's rebounds! Whats everyone else think about the Ovi, Backs, Semin line?

Posted by: OviFan08 | September 23, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Just a side note...Did anyone else notice that no Caps banners were hanging from the rafters!

Bullets/Wizards...check...Hoyas..check...
Mystics attendance records...check.

Big opening night presentation to raise the new banner? What's up?

Posted by: WCAPS1 | September 23, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Preseason is the time to muck about with the lines. I'm sure once the regular season starts, it will be back and forth with Semin and Knuble to see who gets the top line right wing slot.

For the first two frames, I think Varlamov could have been out there with a copy of "War and Peace," reading it, and nobody would have noticed... the third frame, it looked like the top two lines weren't getting quite as much ice time for some reason... can't imagine why... ;-) Oh yeah. Give someone ELSE a chance to score!

Quintin Laing: PuckStopping Beast of the East. I really liked his performance tonight.

Posted by: irockthered | September 23, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Here is the thing about Ovie, Backs and Semin. They will see plenty of playing time together as is because of Power Play. On average there are 3-5 power plays per game and they usually stay out there for 1-1.30 of it. So that's roughly 4-7 min together with a man advantage per game. As far as even strength, certainly not all season. But maybe if we are down in the third and need a big goal or change the chemistry in a tight game. But would rather prefer ovie and semin on separate lines as there will be plenty of nights throughout the season where teams won't be able to match up defensively against two world class scorers on different lines.

Anyways it was fun to watch today. Still amazed by amount of people today at the Pre-season game. Even 2 years ago some regular season games had less people in the stands. Amazing. Also Semin's pass today on a second goal to Ovie was jaw dropping.

Posted by: lightshow | September 23, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

@ralCapsFan

Do you really want to open the door to that? I'm trying to respect Gabby's wishes here. But I'm not going to let you convince yourself Schultz is Rod Langway.

Posted by: large23220 | September 23, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

53 rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wendel2 | September 23, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

It's always fun watching ovie, backs, and semin in a groove. Excellent hockey. BB will move them around this season as he sees fit. One thing about BB...his instincts appear to be right on. After watching nearly every game last season I can't tell you how excited I am to have Knubs in front of the net. This was the piece we were missing and after tonights game I am convinced that the addition of Knubs will make us a very difficult team to beat. We just got alot tougher...are you listening Philly fans?

Posted by: dcfan1 | September 24, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Schultz didn't play, no need to bash.

Posted by: jmy999 | September 24, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I think all the banners are down for some sort of time line presentation for 35 years of Caps hockey. I noticed it Mon. Unless they're getting new ones or something.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | September 24, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

i definitly think laing should be a capital on opening night.we have enough good scorers on the team.what we dont have are the puck blocking gritty in ur face players like laing.he brings another energy to the team that i think we need.so i really hope he gets his shot and stays a wash cap for a long time,GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | September 24, 2009 4:03 AM | Report abuse

The banners weren't there Monday either. Just like last season there will be a banner raising ceremony on opening night for sure. Hopefully there will be 3 banners going up next year.

As far as retiring numbers...I think Toronto has it right. They don't retire numbers on a regular basis but they do honor the players that have made a mark on the franchise and raise that number to the rafters. Multiple players names are on banners. I believe they only have four retired numbers and they are 5, 6, 17, 93, and 99. Ace Bailey, Bill Barilko, Wendel Clark, Doug Gilmore and Wayne Gretzky respectively.

Here is the list of honored players and the numbers they wore. There are a couple of HUGE names on the list:

1 Johnny Bower G 1958/59-1969/70
1 Turk Broda G 1936/37-1942/43, 1945/46-1951/52
7 King Clancy D 1930/31-1936/37
7 Tim Horton D 1949/50 1951/52-1969/70
9 Charlie Conacher RW 1929/30-1937/38
9 Ted Kennedy C 1942/43-1954/55, 1956/57
10 Syl Apps C 1936/37-1943/44, 1945/46-1947/48
10 George Armstrong RW 1949/50, 1951/52-1970/71
27 Frank Mahovlich LW 1957/58-1967/68
27 Darryl Sittler C 1970/71-1981/82

The Maple Leafs didn't want to start running into the possibility of using 3 digit numbers like the Canadiens will if they keep retiring rather than honoring numbers.

There are NHL legends on that list that only have their numbers honored so if the Caps went to that format players should not feel slighted.

I know Gartner's number was just retired but if we switch to honoring rather than retiring his number it will still go to the rafters and but be available for use. Every future Capital that wears #37 will be reminded of a former 2 time All-Star and Vezina Trophy winner who once wore the number.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Laing was a beast during the PK in last night's game!! He really played great, but what does he give us offensively?? I guess though, we have enough offensive power.

Last night's game got me fired up for the regular season until I realized the first game is on VS and apparently that channel no longer exists on DirecTV. Guess I gotta go to a bar to watch it.

Posted by: adamkatzen | September 24, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Lets not start the Scultz thread again--he wasn't out there last night. Good game. I thought BB was giving the other forwards a chance to play more in the third. It was great seeing so many new players hustling out there. Have to say too without the ad stoppages the game went a lot faster too.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 24, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Agree too that Knuble is a great fit. I saw a lot more net presence from more players than just Knuble. I could see the guys getting their rhythm back.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 24, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else worried about BMo? He hasn't suited up for a game since he was plowed at the the end of the 1st preseason game. There has to be something wrong because with just about every other assumed opening night roster player suiting up during this 2 game homestand, and no BMo, he has to be injured.

Also, I'm kind of shocked that BB isn't even giving Nylander a chance to show if he has re-invented himself. Folks at Kettler seemed to think Nyls was playing pretty good there, so why not a test drive during a game. There's a LOT more going on behind the scenes. Hopefully something is in the works that will be good for all parties involved, including the Nylander family.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

@large23220 and newbiecapsfan07

No worries...will be happy if the topic doesn't arise anytime soon as it is so played.

@jmy999
No kidding...hence the dripping sarcasm

Posted by: ralCapsFan | September 24, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Something has to be up with Nylander, he owns a home here and yet left his family back in Sweden. School has already started so I'm pretty sure they will not be coming over now and have their kids a month or two behind everyone else. Guess we will just have to wait for the cards to be played out.

Posted by: PhilR | September 24, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1--I wondered about BMo too. Just thought that BB was experimenting with line combos. Hope he's okay--I am looking forward to seeing him play. As for Nyls I am just hoping it will work out, that he'll land somewhere. I'm tired of the Nyls topic. Course BB could have been taking the opportunity to try out some of the younger guys--trying to remember off the top of my head which ones were centers.
The stadium seemed more than half full and there was a lot of energy. Had a couple of Blackhawks fans behind me--they weren't showing so much excitement. Oh well!!!

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 24, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

That second goal by Knuble was a thing of beauty. So happy we signed that guy.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | September 24, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Really irks me that none of these preseason games are televised. Stuck with all the Redskins preseason games and some of the Oriole/National preseason games were shown as well. When will Comcast figure out that the Caps have a steady following now and start showing these games so people like me, who live out in Western Maryland, will get a chance to see the young kids coming through the system play?

Posted by: PhilR | September 24, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

@philR

go to http://www.atdhe.net it broadcasts the games, it shows you the feed from the jumbo tron, it's perfect! today it said Caps vs. Buffalo cause they didn;t rename it, but it showed the game of the blackhawks. try it out on saturday.

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 24, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

i mean the next game, so try it out tomorrow

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 24, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Yea, it kinda sucks they aren't televised. But, in my case, a Laptop with a s-video out connected to the big screen tv playing the streamed version from the Caps website and Viola! Instant "televised" game. And I like that I get to see the Jumbotron activities too! They are much better than Comcast commercials.

Posted by: jdhoover | September 24, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I will certainly give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for the link, I did a bit of searching last night but could not find it anywhere. Thanks again!

Posted by: PhilR | September 24, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Tarik or Lindsay: Would either of you be so kind as to see if you can find out what's up with BMo?

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan387

The only reason that site was able to show the jumbotron feed was the Caps were broadcasting the jumbotron feed through the regular Caps portal. You could have seen the same thing on the Caps website. Since tonight is an away game that won't be available. Having said that, MSG is broadcasting the game so there should be Internet broadcasts of the MSG feed.

Posted by: capsnumber1 | September 24, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget the Caps play tonight in NY. It is on MSG for those that have Directv.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

newbiecapsfan07 - Mathieu Perreault comes to mind as a young pivot last night... We also had Andrew Gordon (RW), and Kyle Wilson (C).

And was Quintin Laing (LW) a beast out there or WHAT? WOW!

Posted by: irockthered | September 24, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

These are some notes from my point of view at the game last night.

1) 8-19-28 line is sometimes too fancy for words, but they do create amazing goals. I think it's a great idea letting them spend some time together on the same line, but breaking them up on occasion as well.

2) #53 is a fan favorite for a reason. He gives 100% every time he's out there, and almost single-handedly shut down one of the Chicago PP's himself.

3) #89 just looked SOLID on DEF. In position, smart outlets and clears, and when he's on the blue line, he moves his feet to find a lane to get the puck to the net. This time he got a goal, but last year he did the same thing for assists. He belongs up IMO. Especially when you consider salary.

4) #22 looks damn good in red!! I've liked #21 and #17 (when healthy) as the best alternatives, but with #22 is out there, you can tell the world of difference in what it means to play the crease and crash the net.

5) I felt bad for Perrault and Wilson. You could see this was his last game in DC this year. Oskala has a big frame, and potential, but not yet.

6) Pothier was invisible (unfortunately), ShaMo was awful. Juice had some hits, but was a liability and not solid the entire game. Poti had 6 shots, and not 1 of them had a chance of going in. It says volumes that our NHL level defensive players were so drastically out shined by Sloan. =(

7) Clark looked healthy and buzzed around.. but he just didn't look like he fit in with the style of his line / teammates.

8) Chicago's top line is scary talented, and if you saw how good Q. Laing and Varley played against them, you would be as impressed as I was. First goal was on 3rd rebound shot after 2 great saves (bad defensive pressure down low, but they couldn't do anything from up top with Laing stuffing them). 2nd goal was a deflection Varley didn't have a shot at getting.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | September 24, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I've been wondering about BMo myself. Maybe there's yet another forward slot available to open the season.

As for his namesake, I wonder if we're shopping ShaMo? Don't know that he could fetch much at his salary but we've got 7 D and good prospects. I don't know if the bench is deep enough yet, but I see him as the odd man out.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 24, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

This isn't a big deal to those that live in the area, unless you don't have Versus or CSN+, I guess. But since I moved to Texas, it's a bit difficult to see all the games... www.hockeystreams.tv is my savior :) There is a subscription fee (in the form of a 'donation') but at least for me it's worth it. The picture isn't outstanding, but there is an HD membership if you want a better pic. All the games are archived, too, so if you missed a game you can see it all - not just 30 seconds of highlights.

Posted by: DCTexan90 | September 24, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Irtr-Yeah I loved how Laing went down to body block a shot. Loved watching them all last night. My son started to feel sorry for the Blackhawks and I had to remind him that we couldn't let up because they are a really good team and would only take advantage of a momentum shift. That they were playing both Toews and Kane. I noticed Clark looking good and healthy but it didn't look to me like he wasn't fitting in. But I was also just taking in the whole game--not analyzing it a lot as I watched.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 24, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

What...no Schultz bashing?

Posted by: ralCapsFan | September 23, 2009 11:25 PM

I thought Shultz had a "wonderful"
game last night.

You asked for it.

Posted by: whiteltng | September 24, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

No reason to go to the pirate feeds last night -- the Caps Website had the same feed and it was fine. Dang I want to be at the pre-season games, but I've given up those tickets so as not to cheat the family of my time; there are all those regular season games I need to go to.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 24, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

For you Schultz haters...he didn't play last night because he's already made the team. He played solid on Monday and BB specifically talked about his performance in Buffalo. The good news for the bashers is they will have somewhere between 70 and 82 times this regular season to trash him because that's how many games he'll play. BTW, apparently one of the few that actually like Schultz, well, except for the ones that matter like BB, Woods, and GMGM.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Count me in fanohock1. I'm looking forward to a great year by Sarge this year.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 24, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I really want to see BB stick with Knuble on the top line and Semin on #2. Quit switching them around and let OV, Backstrom and Knuble get some chemistry. I think Knuble can score 30 goals on that line.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 24, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

What is the deal with B. Morrison?

Posted by: ERHDC1 | September 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Recently posted on TEB's Twitter:

Doesn't look like Chris Bourque is going to skate today (or play tonight). Tough break for a guy fighting for a spot.
16 minutes ago from web

Posted by: pstenigma | September 24, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Schultz had a great game last night.

1. He didn't screen the goalie's sight lines;
2. He didn't deflect any pucks in.
3. He didn't get beat to either the inside or outside.
4. He didn't fall down at an inopportune time.
5. He didn't look lost.

Who could ask for more! I'm gonna run out and get a Schultz jersey now!

Posted by: Greg S. | September 24, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Well, knowing that Bourque is missing is fine and dandy, and expected considering the cheap shot he received in the 3rd period on Monday. BMo is a bigger deal. He was brought in to be the 2nd line center, was hit in what was considered a dirty play a week ago, and said to be OK. If he's not OK, we don't HAVE to know, but it would be NICE to know. It would be nice for a couple of reasons. The first would make this preseason more interesting because that means Perrault and/or Aucoin will be here on the opening day roster. That is assuming BB is done with Nylander as it appears he is since he's not playing and has no idea why.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 24, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Oops, the 2nd reason it would be nice is to see if BMo has aggravated a known past injury, or if it's a new problem.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Greg S.: No, none of that happened to Schultz last night either. Additionally, I guess you could say his +/- was E last night. That shows he didn't play because he is normally at least a +1.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

ANYONE ELSE NOTICE?????

One thing that concerned me more than anything last night was when our player went down in the second period (couldn't tell if it was Milan or Semin) was the LENGHT of time the trainer took, casually strolling across the ice, often stopping to feed starving kids, before completing the task of getting over to our downed player. What a F@ joke. I was mad as hell...and still am. When Chicago had a player go down, 5 mins before, the trainer had Ovie type shoes on and was over there in a heartbeat. Our trainer looked like he was out for a morning stroll. He's there to look after our guys and fix them up. Now I know walking on ice is difficult at best, but there was not an ounce of urgency about his demeaner. If I was BB, I'd personally open the door at 33'000ft on the way to NYC and kick him out. What a joker.

Posted by: TottenhamCaps | September 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@TottenhamCaps

Why hurry? The guy down was Semin. The trainer knew that it was probably just a booboo; I wouldn't be surprised if BB himself told hi to take his time sort of a time out for the team without having to use your TO...
Between Semin, BMo and Fleisch...look for a minimum of 100 missed games this season.
So, who is our second line center again?

Posted by: atybat | September 24, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Go ahead and throw internet junk at me but Nylander should be our second line center. There, I said it, besides Backstrom he is our 2nd best playmaking center. Give him some tools, and he can prove me right.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1

Good points!

IRTR

Yes, dear...I was joking. :)

Olympics 2014 News:

Malking will go to the 2014 Olympics if he's asked and there's a roster slot for him. Is anyone dumb enough NOT to give hiim a spot? He even said that he'd forego the rest of his NHL career to play in 2014.

Me thinks these guys are serious!

Posted by: Greg S. | September 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@atybat

you forgot Captain Supremo...add Clark in that mix and i think the total missed games will be closer to 1000

Posted by: TottenhamCaps | September 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Well, aren't you just a breath of stagnant air.

Posted by: _Mark | September 24, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think its time for the Nylander milk cartons. Too bad, really. I know he's unlikely to play much or at all here during the season, but they can't really be trying to trade him to anothe NHL team if he doesn't play and show some health and skill. I suspect that he'll either get traded to Europe, or if that doesn't happen, he'll get the Eminger treatment and end up on IR forever.

Greg S., I will buy you the Schultz jersey and give you license to complain about him here, but you have to agree to wear it to every game, and perhaps get his number tattooed on you somewhere.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 24, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock,

I actually agree with you. We have some other decent centers, but the only other proven "playmaker" is Nyls. They should start him, play him, let him rack up a few points with the second line. If they actually want to trade him, a few weeks on the Semin line will help his numbers.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 24, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 24, 2009 11:14 AM

LOL! Not a chance, unless the tattoo's on my kiester.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1 - I'm with you. When is Nylander going to given his fair chance. 4 preseason games and no sweater to wear. My displeasure with Bruce & GMGM has risen to 20%.

Posted by: puckman | September 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Schultz is Good.

Posted by: redlineblue | September 24, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

adamkatzen:
Before you buy your first drink next Wed night, check with the bar first. Most use DirecTV so they won't have the game either.

According to Vogels, the video stream from the Caps webpage is only available in the DC metro area (NHL rules). If you don't get MSG on your cable package, Atdhe.net should have the last two games, albeit with the Ranger Broadcasting team.

Posted by: bagace | September 24, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

I like your suggestion about honoring numbers -- I mean don't we all wear particular numbers because they're the ones our role models wore? Having future players be able to pay tribute to a favorite player by wearing their number would be cool.

Posted by: nicko | September 24, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask | September 24, 2009 9:31 AM

@sonyask:

I, too would rather be legit than fly the black flag (so to speak).

However, so far this preseason I have had no damn luck with streaming video through ANY channel, so I am stuck with AM radio/web radio.

I am a resident of Fairfax County VA and a subscriber to Verizon FiOS Internet.

Unfortunately, the last couple of games I haven't gotten home until around 7:30. and go to the Caps' web site and follow the link to view the game stream.

I click the "View" button (or "Play" or "Watch" or whatever), and it

Just.

Sits.

There.

And.

Does.

Nothing.

Last night was even worse for me because I could find no radio coverage to fall back on.

Perhaps you could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Help, anybody?

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 24, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Bullets/Wizards...check...Hoyas..check...
Mystics attendance records...check.

Big opening night presentation to raise the new banner? What's up?

Posted by: WCAPS1 | September 23, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope so, I got tickets to the home opener. Its a pretty cool ceremony to watch, I was at the home opener last season when we did it too. all the fans got these 5ft nylon banner replica's, its awesome. I have it in my living room so my Flyer's fan of a roommate can see it.

Posted by: breaklance | September 24, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"I would love to see Knuble be in front of the net to grab Ovi's rebounds!"

Yes, but some of his shots miss high and could wipe out a fellow. I guess that's why they make good money.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | September 24, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty obvious that the Caps have no intention of ever suiting up Nylander and are doing their best to either trade him or get him accept an assignment to a team in Europe or Russia. Nyls has been classy about it IMO and has only said he'd like a chance to prove himself. That's not possible if BB and GMGM won't let him suit up. I'd like to at least see him get a chance to play considerin BMo hasn't played much at all in the preseason and may have some type of injury.

As another blogger said, it's also very telling that Nyls left his family behind in Sweden with the school year starting here in early-Sept. You have to believe that he figures that he's going to be traded or reassigned at some point and didn't want to uproot his family. I hope the Caps do something soon that is in both their and Nyls best interest.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 24, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse