Caps 6, Rangers 5 (updated)

Lots going on, and I'm pressed for time because of the potential for an absolutely crazy travel day tomorrow. So here's an abbreviated version of the post game wrap.

Check out my gamer here, then come on back for a few notes and quotes:

*One streak lives on while another came to an end. The Caps' winning streak is now at 12 games - the longest in the NHL since 2000-01. Alexander Semin's 10 game point streak, however, is over despite the winger's five shots on goal.

*Tom Poti has done an excellent job creating offense from the back end during Mike Green's suspension. The veteran D-man tied the game at 5 in the third period tonight and has four points in the past three games.

"He's that leader on the defense, an older guy who when we need the offense he can bring the offense, and when we need defense, he stays back and plays defense," Coach Bruce Boudreau said.

*With two goals and an assist, Alex Ovechkin reached 500 points for his career. He's only the ninth player to do it in five seasons, and he did it in style. His second goal of the night was one of his best, and according to him, the first he's ever scored with one hand.

*And in case you missed it, the Devils, who sit right behind the Caps in the Eastern Conference standings, just got a whole lot better tonight when they acquired Thrashers sniper Ilya Kovalchuk in a five player trade. Boudreau didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but how could he not be a little concerned considering his team's struggles against New Jersey this season?

*Olli Jokinen had a busy home debut for the Rangers. He had a goal, an assist and seven shots on goal. He also took three minor penalties.

*One more note: TSN's Bob McKenzie tweeted that the NHL is looking into a laser pointer that was aimed at Jose Theodore in the third period. Last month, there was a similar incident in Vancouver, where a fan pointed a laser Calgary goalie Miikka Kiprusoff's mask. I didn't notice it, but I have sent an inquiry to the league.

Update:A league official confirmed that they are looking into the incident. Nothing further to report yet.

It certainly wasn't textbook - the Caps took six minor penalties, allowed four power play goals and were outshot 18-6 in the first period. But, as you might imagine, there was a very little grumbling in the visitors' dressing room here at Madison Square Garden after they fended off a desperate Rangers' team.

"Other than the first period, I didn't think we were too bad defensively," Boudreau said. "They scored four power play goals, but it wasn't tic-tac-toe breakdowns."

That's it from me. I've got a story to write tonight and a late morning flight tomorrow (weather permitting).

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 4, 2010; 11:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps beat Rangers, 6-5, for 12th straight win
Next: Caps push record-setting streak to 12

Comments

Laser pointers... Stay classy NY.

Posted by: Raber | February 5, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

From Previous:

I know we won but I don't know that I feel so good after this game. I mean good Lord our PK sucks. Lets call a spade a spade folks, our PK flat out sucks. I personally think we've got the personnel to be a decent PK team but I really disagree with BB's philosophy of letting just about everybody kill penalties. I mean it's terrible and there are guys that shouldn't be out there on the PK. Steckel to me is the #1 guy that shouldn't be out there unless there are only a few seconds left and we just need to win a draw. Secondly, why the hell is Laing a constant scratch? He's our best PKer. We need him up top blocking shots. We need Laing, Backs, Semin, BMo and Brads as our main PK unit up top. These guys can kill penalties there are many others that are out there that can't. This has to be fixed before the playoffs. I'm sorry but I can't see us winning the Cup with a PK percentage of

This was the Ranges for crying out loud! It's not like they have a good PP or anything. Gotta get it fixed.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 5, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 4, 2010 11:27 PM

--------------------------------

I think Steckel's been one of our better PKers actually. Not only does he win draws in the defensive zone, but his long reach disrupts the passing lane and he doesn't fan on clearing attempts.

Laing's out for a reason - who are you replacing with him? Gordon, who's scored in the last 2 games? Steckel, the #1 face-off man in the league? Who?

Posted by: Raber | February 5, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Late morning flight? Have fun in NY.

Posted by: hokiedee | February 5, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Here's the television image celebrating Ovechkin's 500th point: http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq131/photos4all_20XX/Me/Caps020-2-1.jpg

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | February 5, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Here's the video of the laser pointer incident:

Posted by: elicea | February 5, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh, forgot to mention that I totally agree - our PK had a terrible night tonight. But if someone crunches the numbers on the win streak it's actually one of the main reasons we keep winning.

Posted by: Raber | February 5, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

"I still thought the Caps needed some work on PK instead of a day off."

I get what you are saying, and I know its a business, and these players are getting payed millions of dollars to work, but I think having the mentor's trip and some quality time with their fathers/brothers for a brief time is just as important for their morale. I have a feeling having their fathers in the crowd alone played a huge part in these past two wins. Sure, I always want the players to improve, but with the amount of games they have been playing recently, I think a day off is not the worst thing.

That said, I definitely feel that the Caps need to work on their PK in practice, and I am sure they will get to it. As a fan I have enjoyed this historic streak, and I am glad they got to break/set a record in front of their fathers and brothers, getting the opportunity to spend some quality time with them along the way.

How much of the Olympic break do players who are not playing in the games take off? Is there a strict freeze on NHL action in terms of practices?

Congrats on the 12 wins, and congrats to OV on his 500th point!!!!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 5, 2010 12:24 AM

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 5, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

RE: Kovalchuk now a devil - Hey GMGM, time to make a move of our own, a veteran D-MAN. I was over it, but now with the new firepower in NJ... If it's not the Pens in the second round against us, it's the Devils. We need to step it up. Streak's been great, but it's been mostly against 8-seed wanna be's. Caps need more D, plain and simple.

Posted by: DKSW | February 5, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps

Yes, I'll admit to being the person that said the Caps needed to practice PK instead of having a day off. But you're right in that the day off to be with their dads was a great morale booster.

I hope they do lots of work on PK this week. Time to tweak their system.

Normally, they're not as bad on PK as they were tonight. But working on PK is always helpful

Welcome back to the lineup, Green. The Power Play needs you back.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 5, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

I've been a Poti hater, but I've got to admit he's really stepped up his game the past month, on both sides of the ice.

Posted by: butcherbaker | February 5, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Eric Brewer of the Blues doesn't have the flashiest stats but according to PuckProspectus, he's one of the best PK defenders in the league.

And, he's being shopped by the Blues.

Just sayin'.....

He's got a year left - at 4.25 per - on his deal after this season but the Caps have the cap room for him and will have more this summer if the let Pothier (and perhaps Shaone Morrison) walk, not to mention if Theodore goes or comes back at a lower number.

Brewer is a former all-star and Canadian national teamer who has won gold at the Olympics, World Cup and World Championship.

Brewer might not be the sollution for the PK but it's the team's biggest weakness and it needs to be addressed and Brewer is currently one of the better penalty killers available.

Posted by: mercedeskk | February 5, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Tariq why are you flying from New York? With the way newspapers are bleeding money, you should take Bolt Bus!

Posted by: mercedeskk | February 5, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

A big ESAD to the Ranger scum who was shining that laser pointer at JT.

Posted by: cbs75 | February 5, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom with a 5-point night. Very good. I think he just moved ahead of Kovalchuk and Semin in the points-per-game race.

And that backwards pass on the Knuble goal--that was truly awesome.

What a player. As good as he was last year, this year he's so much better, I think. Backstrom will lead us to the finals.

Devils are 3-1 against the Caps this year, but for 2 of those Caps losses Ovechkin wasn't in the lineup, and the other one was a shootout loss. Devils + Kovalchuk is scary, but at least they no longer have Oduya, who I feel is a great defender who always played really well against the Caps.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 5, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Come on Tarik! (and Ovie, for that matter)...

"The Goal" was one-handed.

Oneal

Posted by: thetick73 | February 5, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Agree -- "The Goal" and at least another, falling-down goal I recall were one-handed. Think Ovi is wrong on this...

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 5, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

youaresquishy:
right
gaborik w/ 2pts now: 1.214
backstrom w/5 pts: 1.210
kovi unchanged: 1.183
semin: 1.166

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 5, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Say what you will everyone....I am as big a fan as anyone and I agree with the notion this could be our year...HOWEVER, Kovi in NJ having given up nobody from their starting lineup is no joke. The Devils are what we need to focus on.

I know that we need to beat the PENS but I am freaking out now that NJ has KOVI. SCARED!!!

Someone put my mind at ease PLEASE!

MB+ that D + KOVI?

Posted by: broud0 | February 5, 2010 2:37 AM | Report abuse

broud0 here is my attempt. Kovy is a great player no doubt. But he has always played in Atlanta who has a run and gun style similar to what the Caps play. He also has only been in the playoffs once and never won a playoff game. He has a total of two playoff points in the NHL and only 3 in his career including Russia. He has never felt the pressure of being on a team with this much expectations. Some players are better when they don't have expectations to live up to. Look at guys like Steve Mason and Jonathan Cheechoo. NJ also gave up two players who were playing a lot for the team. Oduya has been playing over 21 minutes a game for the team. Who is going to replace him as a top 4 D man for the team? Niclas Bergfors was a second line guy who gave the team some scoring after their top line. I also don't think that NJ will be able to resign Kovy either so they are putting it all on the line for this season. I think NJ improved their offense but they are actually putting more pressure on Marty to stop more shots with the hit their D took in this trade. Also with the standings right now we wouldn't play NJ until the East Finals. By then who know who is hurt, who is hot, and what the match-ups will be.

Also Ovechkin made the number one play on Sports Center.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 5, 2010 3:15 AM | Report abuse

On "The Goal" it always seemed to me he shot it with two hands and the second hand fell off the stick. You be the judge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAWu3T2mU9s the very end has it in frame by frame

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 5, 2010 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Icehammer

After watching the link, I would say the actual shot was one handed as he had both hands on the stick until he actually shot from his back. It looks as if just before the shooting motion, he lost one hand off the stick.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | February 5, 2010 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom is starting to scare me. He's going to cost us SO MUCH MONEY! SIGN HIM ALREADY BEFORE HE'S AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE IN POINTS!!!

Posted by: Raber | February 5, 2010 4:44 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering, why wouldn't Tarik just rent a car and get home Friday morning, instead of waiting for a late morning flight. I'm just saying, kind of silly.

Posted by: nfb987 | February 5, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

NJD sold the farm for one last chance with Matry B in goal -- he's getting pretty old, but still an awesome goalie. The Devils whole system is predicated on a superb goalie and Marty has a couple years left, so I see -some- sense in the trade. But come July Kovi is GONE. No way Kovi stays in a neutral zone trap system with dump-n-chase offensive system. Kovi is just NOT that kind of player. No clue where Kovi will be next summer, but it won't be NJ.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 5, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse