Caps 8, Flyers 2

Matt Bradley makes a living sticking up for his teammates. Tonight, his teammates returned the favor in an 8-2 rout at Wachovia Center.

After Bradley got dropped by a sucker punch from Daniel Carcillo late in the first period, the Caps' big, bad enforcer, a.k.a the power play, made the Flyers pay, scoring three times to break open what had been a close game.

If Bradley could have smiled afterward -- he had a bunch of stitches in his left cheek -- I bet he would have.

"We really wanted to take it to them," Mike Green said. "When you fight for your teammates, it's our job to fight for him. He gave us a nine-minute power play, and we took advantage."

The power play went 4 for 6 tonight and vaulted to the top of the league with a 24.6 percent success rate.

Check out my game story here, then come on back for a handful of notes and quotes that didn't make the cut:

*Early indications are that Matt Bradley is going to be okay. He spoke to reporters tonight and said he was not knocked out cold. He's scheduled to fly to Tampa tonight with the team, and despite a pretty large gash on his cheek, said he hopes to play Monday against the Lightning.

*Here was Carcillo's explanation for the incident, which could lead to a suspension:

"I saw him drop his gloves so I started punching," he told reporters. "I'm not happy about it. ...Uh, you know, they called it the way they called it. Yeah, you know he dropped his gloves and I thought we were in a fight. ...He kind of came at me the shift before and he was talking to me before so I thought we were going to fight. I don't know why he waited so long to drop his gloves. Once you see that you're in a fight, you start punching."

Asked if he expects to be suspended, Carcillo said: "Yeah, I don't know. Probably. I don't know what they're thinking. I thought I was in a fight. I've never done anything dirty. I've never punched guys when they're on the ground. I'm not a dirty fighter."

I always thought punching an opponent before he gets his gloves off and squares up to you is against the code.

*With David Steckel getting his first goal since the playoffs, 15 different Caps have scored 36 goals in the eight games that Ovechkin has missed this season. Now that's a team effort.

*The only thing lower than Carcillo's sucker punch was the wild cheering after referee Stephane Auger took a puck to the ear in the second period ... and the booing when he got up.

Sounds like the Caps are going to be off tomorrow in Tampa. But if there's a suspension, I'll post an update.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 6, 2009; 12:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Flyers
Next: Flyers' Carcillo suspended four games

Comments

It is one thing to cheer when a Ref gets clipped by a checking player, but when a mans life is potentially in play, no matter who he is (other than like hitler or something) you dont cheer it. Getting pleasure out of someone elses pain is the definition of sadism. That puck goes a few more inches in any direction and that refs leaves in a body bag not an ambulance.

Classless philly fans. Hope none of the TONS of caps fans that were at the game partook in the cheering, it was shameful.

Posted by: QuintenD | December 6, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Great stuff Tarik. Keep up the good work.

Get some rest guys. Back to work Monday night in Florida.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 6, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Carcillo deserves a suspension for the sucker punch. Brads never had a chance. Makes you wish we still had Brashear, although 3 goals on the PP because of Carcillo was pretty sweet revenge too.

Flyers and their fans have no class. Cheering the refs injury was pathetic - even by Philly standards.

Posted by: ellinwoods | December 6, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Great game Caps. Philly can SMFD.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 6, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

CapsFan75

No question whatsoever that Ovie's hit paled before Carcillo's. Not even in the same league. Ovie's was not mean-spirited. To me it looked like an accident. He just couldn't stop on time. Carcillo's was clearly dirty. I mean the guy is down and he keeps punching. If he does not get suspended, NHL should close shop and admit defeat.

Posted by: caraveli | December 6, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Been reading some Philly blogs. Most are split on Brads being ready. Surprise, surprise.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 6, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

4.5 goals per game WITHOUT Ovechkin

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 6, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Sure we all have our issues with the officials but you never want to see them getting hurt and then being upset that they're not. You have to be a pretty disturbed person for that. I hope the league throws the book at Carcillo since he could have very seriously hurt Bradley. Here's hoping Laviolette will bring some class and discipline to their organization.

Posted by: jonsnoek | December 6, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

The only thing better than an 8-2 beating of the Flyers is a Steckel goal! Maybe it's time for Philly to fire their coa...oh wait:)
Too bad I missed it.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 6, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

@caraveli & jonsnoek

Carcillo should be suspended for his actions of tonight. People (including our very own Ovi) have been suspended for less egrarious deeds than he did.

Did Duco ever get suspended?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 6, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Holy jumping Flyers that was fun and oh so satisfying.

I don't think Duco did get suspended - my bet is his prize was a bus ticket back to Rochester, which to a call-up like that is a worse punishment in some ways. Carcillo has been suspended before, I believe, and I will be surprised if he doesn't have a seat for two or three games for that little stunt.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 6, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

"Makes you wish we still had Brashear"

Brashear would have done something equally stupid and given the nine minutes right back to the Flyers. The Caps are 100% better off without him wasting a roster spot.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | December 6, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Again, from reading some of the Philly blogs even they admit cheering for a downed ref and booing upon his rise was pathetic. Some Philly fans actually do have a sense of reality.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 6, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Class has never been a part of the Philly sporting scene and it never will be.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | December 6, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking with the new coach in town that may well have been Carcillo's last shift as a Flyer anyway. He is very easy to replace. Doesn't fit Laviolette's style.

Posted by: lornemyoung | December 6, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

4.5 goals per game WITHOUT Ovechkin

Posted by: butcherbaker

========================================

So where do those goals go when Ovechkin is actually in the game? If the so called "supporting casts" can do this without Ovechkin, why do they not do it with him in the line up? I doubt the extra 2 or 3 minutes distributed among the 16 different goal scorers, with Ovechkin not in the lineup, is the reason. Maybe the supporting casts should just mentally pretend that Ovechkin is not playing at all when he finally gets back from the suspension.

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 6, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Good job, Tariq.

Your blog rocks, your camera rolls! Keep going, man. You're da best.

Posted by: CodePoetry | December 6, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

I just finished reading some of the Philly blogs and they were overwhelmingly anti-Carcillo - shockingly for Philly. Many commented about it being a dirty play and said they hoped Laviolette would get rid of him - hoping that would also send a message to the rest of the team....I didn't expect those comments from Philly fans - I expected lots of criticism for Brads.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | December 6, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

I was with the fan club on the trip. Given that one drunk jerk was screaming curses at us when we got off the bus, and general demeanor of SOME of the Philly fans sitting a section over from us before they got escorted out by security for fighting with other Philly fans, the cheering and booing the ref injury didn't surprise me. Many of them were good, many were not. We had some fun with them though, heheh.

Two games in a row where we had the other team do themselves in with utter stupidity. A 9 minute PP. Wow. What a night!

Posted by: EricS2 | December 6, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Philly fans have to be some of the dumbest in
hockey. How can so many stupid people be in one place?

Posted by: jmy999 | December 6, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

From the recap: "The reeling Flyers, who somehow managed to outshoot the Capitals 36-30 and still get beat by six goals..."

I didn't realize we were outshot, nor that we only had 30 shots total.

Posted by: Raber | December 6, 2009 3:29 AM | Report abuse

You don't see many trick plays in hockey, but check out what the penguins did to tie the game tonight:

Posted by: Raber | December 6, 2009 3:37 AM | Report abuse

@JohnWWW
It's a tough situation: the reason all these guys don't score is because the 25+ minutes per game Ovie usually consumes are being distributed to them, maybe an extra 5 minutes per game distributed among another 5 skaters. That's a lot of time. But it's not only a matter of ice time: team dynamics are really different when he's on the ice. He's the primary puckmover, everybody is looking to him to make the move to the net. The deference to Ovie and reliance on Ovie to make plays is actually keeping us from performing as we could. It's incredible irony: we're better without him.

Posted by: large23220 | December 6, 2009 3:48 AM | Report abuse

@JohnWWW

Posted by: large23220 | December 6, 2009 3:50 AM | Report abuse

philly cheering a ref's injury?

the same philadelphians who complain about us bringing up the santa claus incident? or calling them classless thugs?

why am i not surprised????

Posted by: CF11555 | December 6, 2009 4:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bgfgf402 | December 6, 2009 4:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 6, 2009 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Now thats the caps team i know and love.They played great in every aspect of the game.Bradleys a soldier and i'm so happy for steck's.Hes been due for that one for a looong time.I wasnt able to watch probably one of the best games this year cause all links to the game were broke so i couldnt see it on my pc so i missed the whole thing with brads so if anyone has a link to watch what happened i'd appreciate it greatly.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | December 6, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 6, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

philly papers playing the role of flyers apologists...claimed brads hit carcillo with a high stick then :

"Carcillo retaliated with a cross-check and dropped his gloves. Just as Bradley dropped his gloves, Carcillo decked the Caps' right winger with a right to his face.

As Carcillo threw the punch, Bradley appeared to throw off his right glove as if he wanted to fight."

so what is it? Brads did drop his gloves or "appeared" to drop his right glove? Either way, carcillo is a punk who should know the code. He also needs to pick his spots. At least duco waited until his team was down by 4 before his flipped his lid.

You know laviolette did want that. No doubt carcillo will be seeing some press box time even after his suspension... Love seeing the flyers in dissarray. Who out there is still mad that we didn't sigh pronger?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 6, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Scott Hartnell wished Brads the best in his post game interview...said it was a scary time, and you never want to see a guy go off like that....wished him well and hoped he was OK...

I hate Hartnell, but good for him in the interview.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 6, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

When the punch landed, Bradley had just thrown off his right glove, it hadn't hit the ice, he still had the stick in his left hand.

Sucker punch.

Had Carcillo been a wee more patient, Bradley would've squared up and fought, and lost and bled.

3 seconds cost his team a 9 minute pp. He should get a 2+ game suspension.

Posted by: JSchon | December 6, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

"The only thing lower than Carcillo's sucker punch was wild cheering after referee Stephane Auger took a puck to the ear in the second period ... and the booing when he got up."
haha thats philly for ya'

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 6, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I came home from a fund raiser at my son's school last night to the news that the Caps beat Philly 8 to 2, AND that Steckel finally got his first goal of the season. (Have to admit to being really happy about Green scoring twice too!)

I watched the replay of the "fight" several times. Brad's hit seemed pretty clean, yeah, maybe his stick went a little high, but so what. Carcillo cross checked Matt while he was down, shoved Matt from the side as he got up, shoved Matt on the chest and grabbed Matt's jersey and sucker punched him---to me it looked like Brads' gloves fell off at that point almost as much from being swung around by Carcillo and by being hit by Carcillo as being intentionally dropped to try to get a punch in on Carcillo! Do I have homer glasses on?

I do know some Philly fans who live in DC who would never cheer a ref getting hit by a puck and going down on the ice. However, I think they are the exception and not the rule. Wow. Stay classy, Philly.

Good news for Philly: They ended the shut-out streak against themselves.

Bad news for Philly: They are still Philly.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 6, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

What a smack down on those jerks. The Caps played inspired smart hockey. The best is yet to come.

Posted by: ridgely1 | December 6, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Big Caps fan here, love Bradley, but I don't see the Carcillo 'incident' as a sucker punch. They squared off and Carcillo was simply quicker to the punch. Had the play been called the way many others saw it Carcillo would have maybe received an additional cross check. That would have changed the whole flavor of the game.

The Caps need an enforcer who can stick up for the team including Bradley the Bleeder.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

@FLDave--Carcillo didn't give our Brads time to drop his stick or get his gloves off before hitting him. Carcillo crosschecked him and as Brads got up and start turning to face him, he grabbed Brads by the jersey then punched him even though Brads still had both gloves on and the stick still in hand. Yes that is a sucker punch. The refs got it right. All 9 minutes worth. And we made them pay with goals.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

And bleeding easily is great--makes the refs all woozy and prone to call the infractions hard. Thank goodness for Brads' paper thin skin--though to be fair he did have to get his cheek stitched up. We all would bleed with an actual cut in our cheeks.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Bradley's own words...

"I hadn't dropped my gloves yet," Bradley said. "Maybe it's my fault for not expecting that, but I was willing to fight him. Obviously, I didn't get started."

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Fldave, there is a code for fighting and it includes not fighting an unwilling participant and giving the guy a chance to drop his mittens. Clearly brads did not want to engage at first, and by the time he was ready to go carcillo swung. This is like Crosby jumping the guy in thefaceoff circle. Clearly a sucker punch and just plain stupid considering the game was tied. Was it carcillo who got goaded into a fight in the playoffs last year (v pitts) when the flyers were ahead. Turned the game and series around

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 6, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

FLDave - You have probably seen replays of the "incident" (not really a fight) and I am sure Brads was willing to go, but Carcillo did not connect because he was quicker to the punch. He did so because he did not wait for Brads to drop his stick and gloves. Watch again, and you can CLEARLY see him holding the stick in his left and in no way squared off for a fight. The refs got this one right. As for the enforcer bit, I'm not sure. We don't have a clearly defined enforcer, but enough grit. I think it says a lot about our team to be able to beat these physical teams with our talent

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

gee, the philly broadcast seems kinda b1tching about the call against carcillo, saying bradley should have gotten a penalty, too.

he's a hockey player. he should know. both men drop the gloves, shake the helmets, and circle it up.

Posted by: j762 | December 6, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I am well aware of the code. I have been in several hockey fights and you always want to get the jump. Bradley squared up to fight and Carcillo was simply quicker. Bradley said as much in the post game interview.

In this instance where both guys are squared up it's like blaming a gunslinger for pulling his pistol faster than his opponent.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

looking at it again, carcillo grabbed bradley's sweater even before he had dropped his gloves. Clean hit by a$$.

Posted by: j762 | December 6, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

anybody have a vid of the whole ref-booing affair?

Posted by: j762 | December 6, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

FLDave - Come on.... Does your definition of "squaring up" include still holding your stick with gloves on? You're wrong on this one.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"Bradley said as much in the post game interview."

He was being diplomatic.

If you're going to get in a true fight, be a man and square up. Carcillo begins to swing before Brads gloves hit the ice. Not questioning Carcillo's toughness. And as someone else above mentioned, if he had waited for Brads, the outcome would have been the same, but without the ensuing PP/ejection.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 6, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

@FLDave--So what are you saying, that Brads should have been quicker to drop his stick and gloves and square off. I don't think he realized at first that Carcillo waned to fight given that it was a clean check against the boards. By the time Brads realized that he wanted a fight Carcillo didn't give him time to drop the mitts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that if two players are going to fight, they BOTH need to have their gloves off first. I would argue that Carcillo jumped the gun--he made the mistake. Not our Brads.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey, if 9 out of 10 Flyers fans think it was a sucker punch and hope Carcillo gets booted...

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

FLDave, can't buy that argument. There is a code, and Brad's glove hadn't even hit the ice prior to getting decked. Clear violation of fighter's code. The nine minute PP did seem extreme, but we'll take it.

The biggest problem in the NHL right now is guys simply don't respect each other. Carcillo's actions were exhibit A. Duco running the notorious thug Giroux. The list goes on - Keith's elbow on the PIT player last night, whatever the heck Malkin was doing to Brouwer, Richards hit on Booth. Someone is going to get seriously hurt one of these days, and sadly what its going to take to crack down.

Posted by: rnscaps | December 6, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

All of you guys saying Brads should've been ready... wow. Watch it again. Carcillo was crosschecking him in the back and once Brads stood up, Carcillo was ready and threw a sucker punch. He didn't have a second to dropped the gloves.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I am playing devils advocate here a bit. Was Carcillo too fast to throw? Yes, but by milliseconds. Bradley was in the process of dropping his gloves, he knew what was coming. Had his gloves been fully off the end result would have been the same if not worse.

Had the refs called it differently (which was a definate possibility) and the Flyers won, would everyone be so happy about one of our guys taking a beating? Team toughness, grit, etc is nice, but having someone “qualified” to answer to the Carcillo’s of the league is just as important. At minimum, we should call up someone from Hershey in games against teams loaded with goons.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I think the 9 minutes came (2 more even than Duco in the Panthers game) was because he backchecked Brads when Brads was down after the initial check against the wall. Then he pushed Brads trying to instigate the fight, hence the instigator penalty, Then he grabbed his jersey and hit him. So 2 plus 2 plus 5 I think.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

mscaps - Agreed, but as for the 9 minute pp, while it was very unusual, it all added up as it should. The initial 2 for the cross-check (the refs arm was immediately) 2 more for clearly instigating the fight, as well as the 5 minute major. Nothing to Bradley because he had yet to commit to the fight. I am sure he was willing to go, but up to that point he was still just yapping at Carcillo - nothing to penalized for.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Something that stood out and no else here has mentioned was the attendance of all the CAPS fans who made the drive up to South Philly last night. It's GREAT to hear all those cheers when the CAPS scored.

Seven years ago, we couldn't fill a bus to the WACH ...... It's unbelievable how far this fan has come. Rock the Red!

Posted by: noreaster1 | December 6, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

@FLDave
I also respectfully disagree with you, having also been in a few fights over the years. It wasn't like blaming a gunslinger for pulling his pistol faster, it was like blaming him for shooting me in the back before we both get set and draw on each other. This isn't a street fight where we are worried about survival or not getting up; this is a calculated act that both parties have to agree to and start on even ground. Brads never got that chance.

Posted by: Roose | December 6, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

@FLDave

I understand that you like the idea of an enforcer on our team and don't think Brads is it, but in this case I don't see HOW the refs could have called it in any other way. Carcillo had Brads by the jersey with his arm pulled back while Brads still had the gloves on and the stick in both hands. There is NO way he had a chance to drop his gloves and prepare for a fight. Then Carcillo cut his cheek open with the punch and it required stitches. Not a good decision at all by Carcillo and if he doesn't get suspended I am going to be tripled p*&%ed at the NHL. There are rules for fighting so that players don't get hurt. What if Brads had a concussion when he hit the ice. He has to have time to drop the gloves and get his hands up. Sorry I don't buy your devil's advocate argument at all. And if you are still not sure go to Japer's and see the photo there of Brads with gloves and stick and not squared off and jersey in Carcillo's hand. Nope I don't buy your argument at all.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

No reason to speculate that the outcome would have been worse if Brads had his gloves off and squared off. That 1st punch would have been thrown at a "ready" Bradley who would have had a chance to duck, defend, clutch, throw a few of his own, etc... Again, Bradley does not see himself as an enforcer. We don't need one. Let some of these teams try pushing us around. Maybe there will be a fight now and then and we may come up on the losing end. Overall we have enough who can hold their own. Bottom line is the score board.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Being one of the 'TONS' of Caps fans at the game, we cheered when the ref was hurt... The part when he got up off the ice...

My wife, a Flyers fan, was pretty disgusted with her fellow Flyers fans.

I was quite glad the Caps took it to them for Brads.

Posted by: DrCapsFan11 | December 6, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Please do not judge all of Florida based on the comments of FLDave.

The proper way to do it, like two real men would do, as I've seen a million times, is both drop and fully square off with both cocked fists in the ready.

What you had last night was two people engaged in a tussle, only one of whom was a man.

The other person will soon be out of hockey.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

DrCapsFan11 - As with all teams, you've got fans that cover the spectrum of class vs classless. Maybe some have different ratios or some are just OVERLY classless. In my visits to other arenas I see both. At times, Caps fans may overly vilify other fans - most of the Pens fans I know (quite a few actually) are great people. Even as fans they are objective and respectful. Still, there is something about those in Philly that kind of make you wonder. As for the ref, did he continue with the game?

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

@large23220

I totally agree it is a tough situation, and your points about deference and reliance to Ovechkin by the rest of the team when he is in the lineup is spot on. I just wish they would mentally block him out and play up to their capabilities and allow Ovechkin's play be a bonus on top of their skill sets.

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 6, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

@ large23220

"It's incredible irony: we're better without him."

Posted by: large23220 | December 6, 2009 3:50 AM

Better off without Ovi??? Are you kidding me??? You my friend are smoking the good stuff....all I can say is WOW....

Posted by: washcapsfan | December 6, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter if Carcillo was quicker. If he wanted to be fair he would've waited for Brads to drop the gloves. It's amazing how anyone could defend Carcillo. It was a cheap shot.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Lets face it. Most of the Philadelphia sports fans are a lower class of people than we are. Lower class attracts a lower class of athlete. Iverson, Vick, this idiot who assaulted Bradley, on and on.

Posted by: MKadyman | December 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

washcapsfan: large23220 had already, previously, been sent to the Doofus Brigade. At this point, all we can do is to promote him to sergeant so he can a full squad of his own.

A well-earned promotion with a comment like that. "Better off w/o Ovechkin."

By God, I think he's officer material.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

If the roles were reversed I can guarantee at minimum 90% of the people here would be defending Bradley.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

large23220 - I like what coach had to say about the wins with Ovie out. Something to do with - the rest simply stepping it up FOR Ovie since he usually carries them. Also, it's impossible to say for sure how any game will go or would have gone with or without certain players. With Ovie in last night, it might have been a similar result but with goals and assists divided differently. The Caps are NOT better without him. Others are just stepping it up as they should and are doing so with success. Whether this type of play could continue over a (perish the thought) long-term absence is something I hope we never need to deal with.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"someone “qualified” to answer to the Carcillo’s of the league is just as important"

Yes sir- our power play is very much qualified. I'll take 3 goals over an enforcer in every single game.

Fight = 2 people squaring up. That was not a fight last night.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 6, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

What happened to Brads last night it part of his job. He should do it more often.

He agitated, got under Carcillo's skin, got the goon removed, got his teamates fired up, while putting the Caps on a epic power play which sealed the game early. He should have been the #1 star of the game...getting sucker-punched like that won it for the team.

Nice that this happens...unfortunately when the Caps had Brashear, it didn't happen for obvious reasons. Carcillo would have been looking for a place to hide if it were Brash out there.

Posted by: pga6 | December 6, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

I'm with you on that one. I still find it hard to listen to anyone talk about russian machine like that though. Rising to his bait is just what trolls like I guess.

Posted by: washcapsfan | December 6, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice Mike Greens stick work and skating last night? I know he had a good game on the score sheet, but his skating/stickwork were awesome. And they have been for the past couple games. Matt P also was impressive (yet again) skating around out there.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 6, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

FLDave:

This picture is all you need to see to make judgement:

I'm waiting for you to start justifying.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

This is a tired and pointless debate FLDave...

Carcillo, right arm cock, left arm holding Bradley.

Bradley both gloves on holding onto his stick.

Go back to the Flyers boards, where actually half of them think Carcillo is D-Bag.

Posted by: JSchon | December 6, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

rachel216: Very well played.

Posted by: uncatim | December 6, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 9:50 AM

Wrong, Flyer fan. We're still criticizing Brashear for his idiot sucker-slap of a Bruin almost two years ago that got him a six-minute penalty and almost costs the Caps getting into the playoffs.

And, to be honest, we're still a bit miffed at Hunter for a certain incident.

Go have another cheesesteak sub and don't foget your cholesterol medicine.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

We also have gained in confidence because we have also faced long penalty minutes. During Ovi's two misconducts and the ensuing PK we killed both of them effectively.

The Caps are making it clear that we have the skill both with and without Ovi--he's like the buttercream frosting on a great cake--he will just make us taste that much better when he's back.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"I saw him drop his gloves so I started punching..."

That picture clearly shows Carcillo grabbing Brad's jersey and ready to fight while Brads still had his stick in his hands. Now he's lying or he completely forgot what happened.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Enough of this. FLDave is hereby sent to the Doofus Brigade, Baker Company, for Bradley bashing.

And to the person who said the Caps are better off w/o Ovi, that's like saying the Bulls would've been better off w/o Jordan. No, Bulls won 6 titles in 9 years (missing the three years Jordan didn't play) because the Pippens and Rodmans and Kerrs and all learned to play their supporting roles and not "just wait for MJ."

What I will accept is that the rest of the Caps need to play just like last night when Ovi is back. If all 23 keep playing like last night, get ready to hoist.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@Fro_

Green has been skating and playing like he was last season prior to him getting check into the boards by Pronger. Green is one of them.

We have 4 guys averaging a point per game. Thats pretty unheard of.

Posted by: JSchon | December 6, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"FLDave - There you go speculating again. Time to give up on this one. Were you a Flyers fan in another life? :)"

Actually I have been a Caps fan since 1983. There is no team I despise more than the Flyers based on past history.

Having played hockey for several years I don't see the game the way many fans do. I think I am a lot more objective than the typical "our team are the good guys, the rest of the teams are the bad guys" fans. As an example, as much as I love Ovechkin I think he got off easy with just a 2 game suspension. Most Caps fans defended him, claimed he just plays an aggressive style, the other guy moved, etc. The prior week OV had a 5 minute major for boarding which I thought was boarderline. Had nearly any other player had two incidents in a row such as OV they would have received 5-10 games.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Very true. I do hope they keep up the hard work and cool discipline when we get Ovi and Knubes back. In the past the rest of the team perhaps relied too much on Ovi's skill--he's great at pulling of a win with a clutch goal. But now we are like a well-oiled machine and Ovi is our supercharged turbo thingee (not really good with cars but you get my point). Just keep the parts moving in sync guys, keep them moving.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I just realized what "FLDave" stands for.

And here I thought he, like me, lived in the Sunshine State.

No, it's:

Flyer Lover Dave

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, the majority of comments on the Flyers boards are clubbing Carcillo for the gutless sucker punch of Bradley.

What is this FLDave talking about.

Posted by: JSchon | December 6, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

tominfl1

I'm not a Flyers fan, I don't even like cheese steaks, but then again I am not a blind homer. If you think Bradley had no idea a fight was coming I don't know what else I can say...

Rachel

I saw the picture, I also saw the fight. All the hacking and whacking made it clear that they were going to fight. Bradley should have been ready or turtled. Carcillo also should have waited another half second.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

What is this FLDave talking about.

I haven't been to the Flyers boards, have no desire. I am assuming they are mad about the 9 minute penalty and losing than the punch. Knowing Flyers fans had there not been a 9 minute penalty they would be whooping it up about Carcillo KO'ing Bradley.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Look, Dave, if you're really a Caps fan, we'll give you a chance to look again at the picture rachel216 posted. Look really close. You'll see on Bradley an innocent expression like he doesn't realize what's coming.

Come back, admit you're wrong, ask for forgiveness, say three Hail Bradleys and one Our Ovechkin, and you'll be forgiven.

After all, it IS Sunday.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

@FLDave

I remembered that you said you were a Caps fan in your initial post and it's clear you are a fan who likes enforcers. But don't accuse Caps fans as all being blind homers. This poster is pretty objective too. And I remember lots of posters weighing in on the suspension issue and it was pretty evenly divided on whether he should or shouldn't have been suspended.

What I and other posters (and several columnists etc) disagreed with were the severity of the initial calls on the ice. The boarding call at Kaleta was good but the misconduct was too harsh--it was a shoulder to shoulder hit but he was turned enough to hit the wall and his visor cut his nose. Never underestimate the power of blood on a ref.

Then the knee on knee--its was a moment in the game and the knee was not thrown out there by Ovi to stop Gleason. Ovi was the aggressor going after the guy with the puck--usually it's the guy without the puck who is trying to stop the faster guy and instinctively sticks out his knee. In both this case and the Gonchar situation Ovi was going after the guy with the puck with an open ice hit and the guy tried to get out the way and check turned into a collision of knees.

What I do hold Ovi accountable for attempting an open ice check that had a high degree of risk, knowing that most players now are going to avoid the hit rather than take it. That's the place where he has to adjust his game. Given his athletic genius, ability to make time and space to create a play, and brilliant ability to see the potential in an ensuing play, I have no doubt that he can adjust WITHOUT changing his passionate all out style. The essence of Ovi is will never change.

BACK to my original point, this poster believes that Campbell really had no choice but to suspend Ovi after two game misconducts within the space of three games. But I disagree with the giving of the game misconducts in the first place, most especially with Kaleta boarding call. It was a bad call.

And everyone has simply got to stop using the Gonchar example because as we all know the rules on suspensions etc goes out the window during the playoffs. The other teams--especially the Penns and their own knee on knee collision--also had several suspendible episodes but Campbell declined to do so.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I would like to think that Bradley knew Carcillo was getting a penalty already, for the cross check. It looks like he could have already seen the ref with his arm up, and didn't want to escalate the situation any further, until Carcillo had him by the jersey.

Posted by: CapsFan103 | December 6, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

as for the comments about how well we've played without Ovi, throw out these last two games... the Panthers are terrible and the Flyers aren't much better, and got themselves into a bad situation early on. That said, the team has stepped up without Ovi, sometimes at their own personal peril. (Semin and his wrist, for example)
Sign of a good team becoming a great team?

Posted by: CapsFan103 | December 6, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"We've all seen the dance thousands of times with Brash - drop gloves, square off, wait a second or two to make sure this is it, and then go at it."

That is the definition of a prearranged fight which many people including "Hockey Purest" want to get away from.

Carcillo hit Bradley early, but IMHO barely. The point I was trying to make is they were both engaged in a battle along the boards. Had the refs not seen it they way they did (which is feasible since they were both battling) the complexion of the game could have changed. The Flyer fans and bench would have been fired up.

I can still see Trevor Halversons eyes roll back in his head during his 3rd fight in a 1999 pre season game against the Hawks. He was game, a warrior, took on all comers but that night his career came to an end. Perhaps I am a bit sensitive to the lack of an enforcer in the line up after seeing this.

Bradley is a grinder, a warrior, but not a fighter. He needs to stick to what he is good at before he gets seriously hurt. We need someone other than Bradley in the lineup to handle thugs.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan103

I thought that too, that Brads saw the ref and knew the cross check penalty was coming. Why engage when better to take advantage of a PK. But when Carcillo was going to insist on fighting Brads thought that he'd better get his gloves off and was given no chance by Carcillo. Smart play by Brads. Always smart to draw the penalty if possible.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@FLDave

I saw the refs arm up after the cross check to Brads back while he was still down on the ice. Nope the ref was right there and had already called the first penalty. Carcillo made several bad decisions. I don't have a personal philosophy about enforcers persay--depends on the team and it's style. But I am tired of tough guys deciding to take a run at our guys after a clean check against the boards. That is what started this incident and the Panthers incident--a resident tough guy taking offense at clean checks. And whether we had an enforcer or not doesn't really matter in this incident because all Brads did was to apply a clean check against the boards and Carcillo reacted.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

FLDave, Here's your first post on the 'incident':

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 8:13 AM

I think the point many on this board are saying is that they didn't square off - only one of them did (and there's plenty of evidence to support that). In your last response to Rachel216 you admit that Carcillo should have waited "another half second" (I say whatever time it took for Bradley to get ready). I think you're coming around to most people's way of looking at it.

Anyway it's a moot point, the game is over and the Caps won it 8 - 2 and, thanfully, Brads appears not to be seriously imjured.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

It's sad, Dave, because we gave you all the opportunity you needed to recant. Your 10:56 posts insinuates that Bradley actually did something to precipitate what happened. All he did was play hockey within the rules. He was not penalized for anything. Fact is, Brads almost never gets penalized it's either matching or the Caps get the PP.

You say that Brads "needs to stick to what he's good at." And what would that be, a top flight goal scorer? No, he got a three-year UFA contract at a mere $1M per season because what he's best at is being a pest and getting the occasional very timely goal. I think you look up and down the roster and there's few players we love more than the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

Recant, Dave. It's not too late for your soul.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

When GMGM decided to let Brashear go and let the powerplay be the "enforcer," last night's game is exactly the example that he had in mind. This game was anyone's game at the point Carcillo suckered Bradley (Bradley was about to be ready to fight, but face it, Carcillo engaged before Brads had a chance to defend himself). The powerplay made the the Flyers pay.
If Brashear was still around would that have happened? Maybe not. Even if it had, all he would have been able to do was get in a fight with someone else or take away the advantage the Caps would have already had.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | December 6, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Hope Brads is okay after that sucker punch. He sticks up for teammates even though he is not an enforcer. He has grit. And he works hard every shift. I'm a fan.

Posted by: capsfan01 | December 6, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

anybody that plays for a philly team is trash and the people of philly are trash boo a ref that gets hit by puck what a joke that is why all of your teams suck philly and have not won titles phillies won because they have been around so long and sucked law of averages I HATE PHILLY SHOULD BE CONTRACTED

Posted by: baltraven52 | December 6, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@FloridaCapsFan

True, it's a moot point. I'm happy to take the statement win. But I never discount the Flyers. They may be reeling now but the momentum of the game before the Carcillo incident could have changed the game. Our scoring first and then Theo making that big save shortly thereafter set the tone and we stayed sharp.

They usually raise the level of their game when they play us and teams usually respond with strong play after a sudden coaching change.

I was not expecting a blowout but I will happily take it. And I will happily take the Caps being truly in first place in this conference by a point and in second place in the league just one point behind the Sharks.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I will agree with FLADave on one fact, I'd rather see Bradley out there grinding and causing his usual havoc than throwing (and subsequently bleeding). Bottom line here is the footage doesn't lie. Clearly Carcillo suckered Bradley, and will deserve whatever he gets from the league.

I was in the camp of needing the enforcer on the squad before the season, but I'm changing my tune. If you really need a tough guy for a specific game, there are guys in Hershey (and even in SC) who can be plugged in for that purpose.

As for denigrating Flyer fans, I have some insight since I attended college in Philly.
No doubt there are those who espouse the violence, but on the whole they are educated and passionate about their team and the sport. Yes, there are some classless fans (ones who cheer refs getting hurt), but by and large they are some very knowledable and diehard.

Posted by: rnscaps | December 6, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Bradley Fighting Vehicle? When is the last fight Bradley actually won? I can't think of one, just a few he skated away from without much damage. I am not bashing him, he just needs to keep his gloves on.

Bradley is paid $1 mil for being a responsible grinding winger. Someone that goes hard to the boards, fights for the puck, wears out the defensemen on the other team. He also has a better set of hands than most give him credit for. I am a Bradley fan and would hate to see his career ended because of a fight.

Carcillo went after Bradley because he is the closest the Caps have to an enforcer. Godard, Orr, Belak, Brashear, etc would have known what was coming and dropped their gloves quickly or turtled.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

After watching the game replay last night and looking at the coverage of the incident, it looks like Brads tried to skate away from Carcillo. It wasn't until Carcillo grabbed him and drew back for the punch that Brads started to throw off the gloves. Carcillo was determined to fight and wasn't going to give Brads the chance to refuse. That guy is just stupid.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 6, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Talk about kicking them while they're down. Let's establish a few things first. Philly fans aren't classless. We're actually pretty smart.

The only reason that ref got the reaction he did is because no one in the arena knew what was going on. They even mentioned that on the broadcast.

Now let's talk about the "horrible, terrible thing" that Carcillo did. He got his gloves off first. That's all. Bradley was running his mouth before that even happened. When Carcillo didn't respond, he tried to take a run at him. Guess that didn't go too well either, huh?

Enjoy your win. The Caps played well, all things considered. But mind your ego. You may not want to remember your beloved club before Ovechkin signed on, (by the way, how many times has he been suspended in the past few weeks?) Washington floated in 20+ years of mediocrity. Your AHL affiliate
was more talented!

Trash us all you want. You can call us thugs, trash, losers, wish we were contracted, whatever. But the Caps fans on this page are dumb as rocks.

Posted by: moose99 | December 6, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

rnscaps

I would be fine with calling up toughness from Hershey and mentioned that earlier. Expecting a 195 pound vegetarian to take on the tough guy role is just beyond me.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I am in the camp of those who think that our best 'enforcer' is the power play. You've got to think that Carcillo is rueing what transpired both from the outcome of the game and his immediate future. It will be interesting to see how Laviolette responds to this.

It was also gratifying to me to see a couple of teams self-destruct while playing us. All too often that shoe has been on the other foot.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

moose99

Unfortunately your fans have a reputation for cheering hurt opponents/refs, fights and hits more than Flyer goals. I don't think all Flyer fans are a-holes, but when the majority act that way people tend to stereotype.

10 years ago I would have agreed with you about the ignorance of most Capital fans. With local hockey programs, better coverage of the team (such as this blog) I have to disagree with you on the typical 2009 Caps fan.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@moose

tony violins are playing for you pal..

If no one knew what was going on, why do they cheer when he goes down, and actually boo when he gets up? Sick low class crap I tell ya.

Second...If you knew anything about hockey, the last thing you want to do when your going on the power play is get in a fight...Brads wanted out of this thing so we can go on the PP. Carcillo drops his gloves, grabs his shirt, and is cocked back...what is Brads supposed to do? He is about to get swung at, so he drops his but Carcillo has knocked him out cold before it even starts.

Pronger even said that it was a joke, and that Bradley shouldt not of gotten an PIM's...

So you gonna go against Pronger?

Posted by: SA-Town | December 6, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

it's amazing how the PP gets better without Ovie... the problem is everyone looks for him to score instead of just playing their game

Posted by: joek443 | December 6, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

For FiOS customers who don't get CSN+ there's some encouraging news.

Soon...maybe....

The next Caps CSN+ game is 12/12 at Toronto on HNIC.

Posted by: grackle5 | December 6, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

moose99, Talking trash is part of getting players off their game. As for Bradley "taking a run" at him well, it looked like a run of the mill check to me. Nope, that's what they all say when things don't work out they way they want them to.

I will not respond to another of your posts.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Funny, because before the said event, Carcillo and Bradley shared the ice for an astounding 1 sec. 1 sec, and in that 1 second Bradley called Carcillo a goat herder and made comments about his sister. 1 sec.

Posted by: JSchon | December 6, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

moose

I remember my beloved club quite well. I remember in the last 20+ years the caps went on a run of making the playoffs 16 years in a row. The first year after they didn't make the playoffs, they went to the finals. It's only been in the recent past that they were mediocre (not so mediocre anymore huh?).
And what have the Flyers done in the past 20+ years? Sign a real goalie then come talk to us.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | December 6, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@ FloridaCapsFan

I disagree. The Caps need an enforcer/tough guy. Using the power play as a deterrent relies too much on the refs to protect the players. Also, the Caps will only the benefit from the power play that game, not all the games the player is lost. Going without an enforcer is too risky.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 6, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moose99 | December 6, 2009 11:33 AM

OK, you're a thug, you're trash, you're a loser and Filthydelphia should be put on waivers by the United Staes for purposes of giving it an unconditional release. Last I heard, El Salvador would claim your town on waivers.

Moose99, you are hereby sent to the Doofus Brigade with a rank (and I do mean "rank") of private first class. You are assigned to 2nd Battalion, the Trolls.

Word has it you live under the Betsy Ross Bridge. Your company cmdr is Danny Briere. A troll if ever there was one.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

JSchon, That's interesting, where did you get the 1 second fact from?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

ablake70, OK, let's see how it turns out.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

First, Did you actually watch the game? He didn't go after him because he was an enforcer, he went after him because Bradley had just checked him.

Second, Even Don Cherry called Carcillo's act cheap in the HNIC postgame of the first game. On top of that he shows highlights every so often of two fighters actually respecting each other. One guy letting the other take a helmet off, laying off of a guy when he is vulnerable. Carcillo's move was a punk move.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | December 6, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

joek443: I think the secret to PP improvement hasn't been the loss of Ovi, but the addition of BMo. My opinion is BMo is the best PP quarterback.

Ovi, Green and Semin and great players, Backie too, and Knuble, but BMo brings a sense of calmness to the blueline that Green and Ovi lack. When you have Green, Ovi and BMo all out there, either two can be on point and either one can rotate down low.

Thinking about it, now that you brought this up, wouldn't it be wise for young Mr. Backstrom to learn a thing or two from BMo. What if Nick learned to take his PP game away from the corner where I usually see him and out on the point for stretches like BMo does?

BMo is a center and look how he does it. Maybe when you put a forward on point, a center is a better choice than a winger.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

moose- No one in the arena knew what was happening? Then wouldn't it just be silent? (Since everyone left already) The people closest to the incident knew exactly what was happening and were cheering. Nice excuse though.

You obviously aren't a smart Philly fan. Brads was not the instigator, Carcillo was.

Go ahead and keep defending your dirty players.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

JSchon, That's interesting, where did you get the 1 second fact from?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Shift chart. http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/222168/Bradley_Shift_Chart.jpg

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | December 6, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

was more talented!

Posted by: moose99 | December 6, 2009 11:33 AM |

Dude...when your team beat us 7-1 last year, it was filled with Flyer fans such as yourself making fun of the Caps. Calling us a "one-man team", calling us a whole bunch of things.

Also, here's a clue. When a sports team beats another sports team badly, the fans of that winning team are going to make fun of the losing team. Get used to it. Flyers fans have perfected the craft of making fun of other teams when the Flyers win.
Go back to hockeybuzz and talk rooom0rs with Eklund.

Funny too..I had the Flyers pegged as being at the top of the East all season. I had Emery lasting and going the full season. I had Philly as Cup favorites. But if you insist, I will tell you why your team sucks right now and will probably not make the playoffs, and it has nothing to do with the 8-2 beating handed down to you last nioght.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

freakinandpeakin, Thanks, learning something new every day.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

ablake70

I definitely see where your coming from. It does feel like since we are without an enforcer we're playing with fire. But in reality, that's still the case even if you have an enforcer. What happens if someone gets injured via cheapshot even if you have an enforcer? The enforcer can only react in that case, and by that time there's not much he can do besides make a bad situation worse.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | December 6, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Funny, when I read all the articles about the game, the writers say things like "the Southeast leading Caps". Have any of them bothered to notice that we are the Eastern Conference leading Caps. We are also 1 pont behind in the President's Cup race with 2 games at hand on SJ. I guess we need to keep pounding away until they notice.

Then again, let them be surprised after we win the SC this year.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 6, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

*pont should be point

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 6, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave

HUH! Carcillo went after him because he took offense at Brads checking him against the boards. It was retaliatory. That's why I think this incident has nothing to do with whether we have an enforcer or not. Check by our guy, illegal cross check, instigate fight, then sucker punch by the other guy. Our grinder did what he suppose to do and the other player overreacted and hurt his team.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave:

"Godard, Orr, Belak, Brashear, etc would" not have been on the ice ... ;-)

... and if it continues, that "enforcers" are behaving ridiculous stupid, leading to blow out ambarrasing losses ... so much the better ... they all will become superflous ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 6, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

moose99- quit worrying about us. We're not the ones who lost by 6 after a coaching change. Your team is in a lot of trouble. I don't know how you'll make the playoffs with Emery as your goalie. Haha. =)

Keep bringing up the past loser.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 6, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

And as for your objective claims, like "Carcillo's move wasn't dirty" and "the Caps have been mediocre for the past 20 years", all I have to do is laugh.

Dude...you are aware that it has been over 30 years since the Flyers have won a Cup? Right...That's as long as the Caps have even been a team.

But some Cup is better than no Cup right? Even if you were a floating haploid in your father's sack at the time.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

FLDave - I think you should log onto a Flyers' blog and have a go at some of them. Even there, you will have difficulty making your case. Most of them, the players, and GM have blasted Carcillo over this one.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

OK, I've looked at that chart and, if I'm interpreting it correctly, they shared the ice for 45 seconds. Bradley was on the ice 1 second ahead of Carcillo. Plenty of time for Bradley to get under Carcillo's skin.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 6, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Except Carcillo said it was the previous shift that Bradley was yapping and before that shift they were on the ice together for 1 second.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | December 6, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Bradley's hit was not remotely cheap or viscious. Carcillo was looking to fire his team/crowd up with a Saturday Night home town fight. It back fired big time.

Like the fighting aspect or not, it can change the momentum of a game.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@moose99

BTW I don't trash other teams. And I don't go on other team's boards to trash them and call their fans stupid. You are by far the most ignorant troll to com recently and that's saying quite a bit considering the rash of Penns trolls who luuuv to come on board anytime anything happens to Ovi. I haven't been there to diss them for their loss last night and their loss of Crosby to a groin injury and i haven't gone onto your boards to talk about how your team fell apart last night. Games between the Caps and the Penns and Flyers are usually some of the best. That just wasn't the case last night.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Lets move on...

SJ lost
PIT lost

We are now technically the best team in the league points wise.

We have scored the most goals in the league.

We have 4 players averaging a point per game.

We have the #1 PP in the league.

We have E.Fehr.

Ovi will be back Mon, and Knuble will be back vs BUF.

Posted by: JSchon | December 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually not that upset at Carcillo. Stuff happens, and Carcillo filled his status quo by being a little pest. Stupid move by Carcillo, but not at all that surprising.

Ironically, this is perhaps one of a handful of cases in which the worst rule in hockey, the instigator rule, actually worked. I WANT to see teams retaliate for dirty hits (Brash on Cooke for Cooke's run), but retaliating for something as simple as this, and then cross-checking him in the back, and then sucker punching him?

There should be no room in the NHL for stuff like this, but it's like walking a tightrope now. You retaliate for dirty hits, not a normal check at the boards. Players are afraid to retaliate for dirty hits (because of the threat of the instigator) yet the instigator does not seem to deter any of the idiots from taking that risk on a clean hit.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup

As I stated earlier, had Carcillo just been assessed a 2 minute instigator penalty they would be singing his praises. "Carcillo with the KO!!!"

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Like the fighting aspect or not, it can change the momentum of a game.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 12:16 PM |

I love fighting, but what does this have to do with anything?

You do not retaliate for a clean hit. That is the problem here. I don't care that Carcillo may have sucker punched Brads or not(though, that just makes him loook even more like a punk), it's the fact that he decided to do that on a perfectly normal hit.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"Danny Briere. A troll if ever there was one."

LMAO! Wanna talk about a Theo Fleury wanna be!

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

Last time I'm going to bother with you. Brads never had a chance to get his fists up, never had a chance to drop his stick even. This is exactly the kind of fighting the NHL wants to cut down on. Of course a good fight can change the momentum but Carcillo went after another player and hurt his team instead. That simply isn't how these fights should be fight--there's a process that begins with letting both players get their gloves off and fists up. Go back to the video evidence. It's not an enforcer moment--Carcillo blew it big time by acting like a thug instead of a guy who wants to fight.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@ freakinandpeakin

Cherry also said that Bradley was stupid for standing there like a zombie and not being ready to fight. Don Cherry proves once again that he is the biggest moron in Canada.

@ Capcrazy77

I agree guys like Carcillo will still take cheap shots because the lack a brain. But the other 99.9% of the players would be deterred for fear that our enforcer will take out their top guys.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 6, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

what the current streak shows me more than anything is BB shouldn't shorten the bench and should give 3rd and 4th line guys more ice time.

sometimes fresh legs can do wonders and are more important than talent, especially during the regular season.

Posted by: joek443 | December 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil is absolutely right. The whole incident stemmed from a perfectly decent check. When did it become okay to retaliate from something so basic in a hockey game. Both the Panthers incident and this one stemmed from perfectly legal and clean checks. Geez! But I'm delighted we made both teams pay big for their bad decision making on the ice.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

FLDave - ... but that wasn't the case. Brads didn't get 5 for fighting because he was never given the chance to do so. Carcillo is now making himself look worse by making misstatements and trying to justify his act. He should admit he took exception to a "clean hit", tried goading Brads into a fight but should have given him a chance. Now, enough about this. If you are the Caps fan you say you are, how about something positive about the win, Backie's 5-point night, Theo looking good, etc....

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil

I know you've been around a long time and I've enjoyed many of your posts. Do you honestly think it was a sucker punch in the classic sense?

Cross check, challenge, slash, challenge, cross check, challenge, gloves drop. This is typical behavior leading up to a fight.

Bradley admitted he should have been ready to fight, he was willing to fight and did not drop his gloves fast enough.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I thought we were one point behind SJ. Is it because we've played fewer games than SJ. I'm delighted we're one point ahead of the Pens now.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup

It was an outstanding game! The Caps are the most offensively explosive team in the NHL when they play their game with the ability to blow ANY team out of the water.

Sorry, but I am still pi$$ed about one of our players being unnecessarily hurt. We should have called up Brandon Sugden for a game against a goon squad like the Flyers.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

JSchon: OK, what about my earlier comment that the loss of Ovi for so many games has put BMo on the #1 PP unit on the point.

Now that Ovi is back, do you also feel BMo should stay on #1 PP? I know it's really hard to share the time when the team has so much skill, but he's probably the best forward to have on the blueline who can also rush back and cover on D.

To me, the reason the PP has done so well since Ovi had been out isn't that Ovi's hurts the PP, as some have suggested, but that BMo has finally been given a chance.

Maybe at least we'll see the end of Ovi playing all two mins of the PP.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

why was Bradley Obligated to go with Carcillo? Brads clearly saw that the ref 2 feet away had his arm up for the x check and the Caps were getting to go on a pp.

Carcillo wigged out and pulled a Simon face it....Even hockey fight purists have a hard time defending Carcillos actions last night.

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | December 6, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

____________________________

I didn't see it live, I arrived at my friend's house a bit late so all I have to go by are the replays.

My friend (who is a much more casual hockey fan than any of us), informed me that someone got into a fight with someone with curly hair. I assumed it was Hartnell, haha, But I kept asking my friend who it was/and if it was a cheapshot. (Because most of the time, a one-punch KO sounds like a cheapshot..minus Brash/Belak, Downey/Boulz, etc) They said it was a clean punch, they both were ready to fight.

I finally got a chance to see it on replay in the intermission. What I saw was Bradley checking Carcillo near the boards, cleanly, Carcillo cross-checking/hitting Brads in the back at least twice as he got up, and then I saw Carcillo throw an early punch into Brads.

It certainly was not a cheapshot, in the sense of Brash on Betts last year. Bradley knew what was going to happen. That said, When Carcillo threw the punch, Bradley was in the process of flipping his gloves off. They had JUST came off, right before the punch yes, but Carcillo threw it before his gloves were off. It's not really a cheapshot, in the usual sense of the word, but it certainly was cowardly and premature on Carcillo's part.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave
You should read some of the posts responding to you and look at the video and go to the photo link at Japers that is listed in a post in this thread--all the evidence that you are wrong in your take on the situation and it's clear that you are reacting as erratically as Carcillo did last night. Slow down, take a deep breathe, and move on to a better topic. What a great game by Backs and Green. So solid. So effective. Talk about that instead. Or about our win-win situation with our goalies. Both Theo and Varly so calm and effective.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil

Thank you. Agreed.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe at least we'll see the end of Ovi playing all two mins of the PP.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 12:36 PM |

I can see where someone says Ovi hurts the PP, but not in the sense they are looking at it as.
He could be hurting the PP, in the sense that, when he's out there everyone looks for him. They probably feel more open to shoot and work the PP when he's not out there.

Sort of related, Backstrom was certainly showing off his hands last night. I saw at least 3 beautiful dekes performed by him. He really needs to have more faith in his abilities, because when he's on, he's on. Physical, amazing hands, great shots, perfect passes.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 6, 2009 12:27 PM

Ha, joek443, I agree again. A few weeks back when the Caps seemed to be tiring out and making mistakes in the 3rd period, I posted that "If BB has a fault, it's when he rides his horses into the ground while he has a fresh stable of ponies back in the corral."

I didn't check ice time last night, but hopefully Green was kept well under 25 mins.

The first thing that happened that helped fix the Green minutes thing, if you recall, was they demoted Carlson and brought up Alzner.

Big decision time coming up. DO YOU SEND ALZNER BACK? When Knuble returns, someone has to go both from a roster standpoint and from cap amount. Of course, ShaMo has missed 7 games so he can be put on LTIR and then return after three more games.

I wouldn't be surprised if a trade were made that allowed Alzner to be kept permanant. Either Poti, ShaMo, Pothier, Erskine or Juice could be moved.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

sup my peeps!

had to watch the highlights on the brads hit but after looking at the video and the pic rachel posted there is absolutely no way that anyone can defend Carcillo. Stick in hand does not equal ready for a fight and he knows it. He's probably just trying to lessen the blow from the NHL by explaining it away..... good luck!

if he doesnt get a couple game suspension for this i will be livid! to say that isnt a dirty play is to pee on our legs and tell us its raining.

anywhooooooooo happy to see folks like tominfl and rachel etc are holding down the fort, or at least quarantining the brigade! nice to see this board be positive, even if its just against a common enemy :)

Posted by: mrszilla | December 6, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why the major went first instead of the two minors?

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 6, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

All that said though, I think we may just be arguing semantics here.

Whether it was a cheapshot or not, and if it was, to what degree it was a cheapshot, all don't really matter. A cowardly, punk move is a cowardly, punk move. Brash hitting Betts out of nowhere last year, was a cowardly, punk move. Trying to go after someone after a clean hit is a cowardly, punk move. Throwing an early punch in a fight, full blown cheapshot or not, is a cowardly, punk move. Carcillo is an edgy player, and I appreciate that, but he plays like an idiot most of the time.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Phil: Yes, and I made a point earlier comparing Ovi to MJ. Back when Bulls won 6 of 9, did the team ever just watch and wait for MJ to do it or did they all just "do their own thing?"

You had Pippen launching them from the corner and Kerr shooting from outer space, with Rodman cleaning up under the basket. With Ovi out, BMo has been distributing the passes, rather than like when Backie locks in on Ovi.

I think it is normal human behavior to "defer to the leader," but maybe now more of them are developing their confidence. I mean, specifically, Flash and Fehr.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to keep in mind who we have played the past two games and what state they were in before we make knee jerk removing Ovi from the PP. People are actually asking if we are a better team without Ovi, are you serious? You're kidding me right?

No. We are not better without Ovi. Did we not have the best PP last year?

What I do believe is that guys like Flash and Fehr are capable. B.Mo can handle the point. Semin/Green/Backstrom are really talented.

We are very deep and BB knows it and I'm sure he'll get everyone involved. He's good at keeping things not stale.

Posted by: JSchon | December 6, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns

No offense, but I played hockey for nearly 20 years and have a very good grasp on all aspects of the game.

Video evidence, pictures, etc Bradley knew what was coming. If you want to talk about evidence I copy and pasted Bradley's take on things after the game. If he felt he was jumped he would have said as much.

I truly am not trying to bash Bradley. He is one of my favorite Caps. I tell my boys that I used to play like him, an honest up and down winger but I was much bigger/stronger and could fight. As much as it pains me I did not have his scoring touch.

On to better things. There has to be an NFL game coming on or something. I am not used to wasting away half a day on a blog.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Richmond Phil,

"I am actually most PO'd about the fact that a player decided to retaliate after a clean hit. That's not what you do. You retaliate when you or a player of yours gets ran. I hate the instigator rule. "

Yet it happens more and more. Guys are jumping guys when they deliver clean hits. Sloan in Calgary last year, Giroux against FLA. That crap has to stop.

Phil, you're definitely one of the more informed posters here, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. You need the instigator rule for situations like these.

Posted by: rnscaps | December 6, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why the major went first instead of the two minors?

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 6, 2009 12:51 PM

We discussed this over and over Friday afternoon (first brought up by ThePat) because the same thing happened in the Panther game when Duco got 5+2. Someone researched the NHL rules and they posted the exact rule that says when a player gets a mjor and a minor(s) at the same time, the major is times out first.

I'm sure a committee was formed and it was discussed long into the night whether or not the major or the minor(s) go first. This is the way the NHL has elected to play the game. You could do it either way, but they picked this way.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnscaps | December 6, 2009 1:04 PM |

I already said that this is a very rare occurrence in which the instigator worked successfully.

It does not really address the issue that the instigator rule is ruining hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil

Agreed again. Fights after a clean hit is something new to the game and needs to be dealt with. I remember Stevens cleaning someones clock with an open ice hit and there was no retaliation. A clean hit is and needs to remain part of the game.

Perhaps I should have choose my words more carefully earlier. A lot can be lost in translation on the net/email/etc. I just did not see the Carcillo penalty as a classic sucker punch scenario.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Alright, maybe ruining hockey is a bit extreme.

The rule sucks though, mostly because of the bias enforcement of it.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@fldave

where did you play hockey? you said you were in plenty of fights so I imagine you played at a high lvl of some sort. Could we look your playing stats up online on hockeydb.com?

I played Hockey for nearly as long as you claimed to but noone here give 2 shats. What makes you such an authority. Even someone whos never even seen a hockey game could see that his actions we gutless and Brads was jumped.

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | December 6, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody explain to me why in today's league these guys who jump other players don't get suspended.

Posted by: blanknerc | December 6, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I will agree w/FLDave that the Carcillo action was not "classic sucker-punch" in the Tie Domi/Ulfie tradition (I think that's who Domi punched, after Ulfie kept calling him "Tie Dummy.") Anyway, I remember watching that game, and Domi punched him out of the blue. With Carcillo, there was at least some forewarning.

I guess the difference to me is Domi made a sucker-punch, and Carcillo made a cheapshot. Both plays are probably what most sports fans would call "very stupid" and both were what many would call "gutless."

Has Carcillo waited a second or two, Bradley's gloves would have been cleanly off and the penalty to be served would be four minutes, and maybe only two if the refs might not have called the instigator. As it was, with his gloves off early, instigator was apparent.

FLDave, I thought you were done "wasting your time" here and you were going to watch football?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

_________________________

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Ulffy made his entire living by being a cheapshot artist.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 6, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

BLUELINER34

I never played at a high level and you will not find me on hockeydb.com. I grew up in Southern California and did not start playing until my mid teens when I moved to the DC area.

I had an NHL caliber slap shot, half way decent snap shot and NO wrist shot. That combined with my skating ability from starting hockey at a late age stiffled me considerably. I was a mucker/grinder at forward position and a stay at home defenseman. I knew I would never make it to the higher levels, but loved the game.

Having actually played the game I believe I have a much better understanding than someone that has simply observed the game from the stands or a couch. Perhaps I am giving myself too much credit...

tominfl1

I live in Jacksonville... The freaking Jags game is blacked out yet again due to poor attendance. Then again after yesterdays SEC Championship I doubt that many N. FL residence are in the mood for football today

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

No offense taken. I in no way was trying to say you didn't know anything about hockey. Lots of people on this board know much more than me. But I am good at research and what the photo and Bradley's quote both indicated is that he was not ready to have a fight--he had not drop his gloves yet. Intent does not absolve Carillo of his infraction. That was my point.

I heard you about your philosophy concerning enforcers--I don't have a strong opinion about it one way or another and I do respect others who feel strongly about it. I just don't think this situation was about having an enforcer. Carcillo was reacting to a legal check. Brads was the guy involved whether he wanted to or not because he was the checker. And the cross check penalty had already been called by the ref so it didn't really serve Brads or the Caps very well to get into a scuffle. So Brads was either surprised by him or just taking his own sweet time about it for strategic reasons. Either way it's still intent and not action.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow, lots going on here.
1. Please, no one think for a moment that we're better off with Ovi out. Guys are stepping up, just like for Ovi's previous injury. But in the longer term, what Ovi brings is not replaceable.
2. The league is on trial with the Carcillo situation. People are naturally going to draw a comparison to the Ovi hit. If the league does not come up with a longer suspension for Carcillo's egregious conduct, the league's credibility (sadly, such as it is) will be jeopardized.
3. Does the Laviolette hiring make any sense? He is an advocate of clean hockey, going to the ultimate goon franchise. From the GM, to the players, to the farm system, to the fans, the franchise's financial success is based on the goon mentality. Can Laviolette embraces that mentality? I can't believe he is going to redirect the entire franchise toward playing straight hockey - the fans won't buy it. This looks like a train wreck to me.

Posted by: zmega | December 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Carcillo gets 4 games. More lies from philadelphiaflyers.com :

Carcillo’s penalty, in which he knocked down Bradley with a single punch while both players were dropping their gloves, resulted in a nine-minute power play for the Capitals, in which they scored three times en route to an 8-2 victory.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 6, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns

I did not take any of your posts as such. I respect everyones opinion (even Flyer fans) and do not pretend to be a hockey expert.

I can tell you that IMHO I firmly believe Bradley knew who was messing with him and what was ready to happen based on his post game interview. I give him 'props' as the young kids say for not pretending he was simply surprised Carcillo would do something like that. Bradley is one of the best players on the ice when it comes to hockey sense. I think he simply had a brain fart as to whether to fight, turtle or skate away.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

One more point - the enforcer. We can't just look at the success on the power play and say we don't need an enforcer. We have to consider such factors as the impact on the health of players like Bradley, and the injuries/penalties to players like Ovi who feel the need to stand up for their teammates. We probably can't bring in an enforcer now, but ideally we would have one available for spot duty who could sit out games in which he is not needed. Unfortunately, we have someone taking up that roster spot now (our favorite non-playing forward).

Posted by: zmega | December 6, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

FLDave: I don't follow college football, so I can joke about yesterday. Funniest thing was article in Orlando Sentinel by Mike Bianci. He made fun of Florida uniforms yesterday, being white helmet, jersey and pants - everything he said, except the white flag.

And Tebow crying like that puts a terrible example to kids. My wife works on one of the Florida Gator magazines and she said he was horrible with that crying.

A lot of people in this country have reason to cry. Losing a college football game isn't one of them. He reminds me of Crysby - a spoiled jock given everything in life.

I have too much work tomorrow, so I can't make the 200 mile round-trip to Tampa for the game. I could cry about it, boo-hoo, but I won't.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

FLDave: I think what happened is Bradley turned to face Carcillo and saw the ref about two feet away, arm raised, and delayed for an instant - an instant that cost him a punch in the face and cost Carcillo 9 mins + 4 games.

BTW, I have sensed enough contrition in your notes so that if you have said your three Hail Bradleys and your one Our Ovechkin, we can excuse you from Doofus Brigade duty.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

Glad I didn't offend you--I like lively discussions and I love dissecting plays. Great aftermath to do it. And I really mean it when I say that am catching up fast to hockey but am relatively new to it, from my son in Squirts to watching the Caps at Verizon. And I have been reading this blog--message board??--for a long time before I started to post.

I like Brads too. I really like his paper thin skin as he described it once. There's nothing like a little blood on the ice to get things going our way penalty wise. He may have had a brain fart, I don't know, but Carcillo sure blew it. I never take Flyers games for granted. Whatever is going on with them, they have all the parts to still come together and make the playoffs. They are always a threat.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 6, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Ovie, please take into account that not only our players play a "different style" and BB use a different game plan if he is not on board, also the other team will play differently e.g. with another game plan etc. ... it is not as if they play the Caps without trying to take care of Ovie ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 6, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns - I agree with you on Brads. Great to have a player like him. In ways, I respect him even more for the fact that he is not an all-around enforcer type like Brash was in his better days, yet Brads is willing to put it on the line practically knowing he might be in for a whooping. Know what I mean? Sort of the David vs Goliath in most situations (except David always wins...)

Posted by: gonchpup | December 6, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1

I was planning a trip to Tampa with my two boys but work has once again interfered. The military has no respect for the NHL. I was a big Tebow fan until yesterday, he was a great example of what an athelete should be...

Capsyoungguns

No worries my friend. Keep your son focused and we may be watching him in a few years! I often disagree with those I respect the most. We have a team in DC that is ready for greatness, let's hope they put it all together.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 1:02 PM

You missed your calling if your bigger stronger and a better fighter than Brads...was scoring your only down fall??

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 6, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave and @gonchpup

Amen to both of you. The Caps are poised for greatness and I love our paper thin skinned David-like Brads (there are a lot of ways to win the battle).

And my son is off at a game right now. He wants to be in the NHL but I'm encouraging him to set more immediate goals such as making the travel team. It has been absolutely the best sport for him to play. It's our best and most favorite family activity.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 6, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Capsfannmiss

Yep... I missed more open nets than anyone I know.

Posted by: FLDave | December 6, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse