Dates for Rookie and Training Camp Announced

The Caps have just released dates for camp, to be held next month at Kettler Capitals Iceplex.

From the team:

Rookie camp will begin Monday, Sept. 7, and will conclude with a road game against the Philadelphia Flyers rookies at 3 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 11, at Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, N.J. The game is open to the public and free of charge. This is the third straight year that Washington rookies will play Philadelphia rookies prior to training camp.
Veterans will report to training camp on Saturday, Sept. 12, and will be available for interviews and photographs at Kettler Capitals Iceplex that day. On-ice training camp activities will begin on Sunday, Sept. 13.

We'll have plenty of coverage from both, so stay tuned.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  August 26, 2009; 12:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chef Ovie to Hit New York
Next: Catching Up With Erskine, Bradley and Gustafsson

Comments

I smell a day off coming the week of 13 September.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 26, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Not long now... Lets Go Caps!

Posted by: Redwolf1 | August 26, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Sept. 13th is actually a Sunday, not a Monday. Are they opening camp then or taking that day off and getting on the ice Monday the 14th?

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 26, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I just took a peak over at japers rink for the 1st time in a long time (may be 1st time ever I don't remember) but I read a neat little article on Varlamov. He basically said that he's very dedicated and doesn't really have much of a personal life. He also said which I find hilarious, almost scarey is that American's are nicer and more kind/genuine than Russians! Holy crud! And this is coming from the majority of his time spent in DC and NY! LOL! I don't think I want to go to Russia now to find out more about my ancestors! My last name did come from Russia or what is known now as the Czech Republic. I guess they lived just south of Prague. Anyway the big thing I saw in there is that he said he had 2yrs left on his contract and that he wants to stay here and he hopes to sign another 5,6 or 7 yrs here! Pretty darn good news if you ask me. I mean I can remember the Brendan Shanahans of the world stating he would NEVER play in DC and Rick Tocchet stating that this is the worst franchise he's ever played for. I know that was under different management but the reputation can still stick. Good thing it didn't. Now we're getting guys who want to play here, take less to play here and pick us over other places to play. Now if we can only fix the ice! Hmmmm...... Ted?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 26, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -- Would you confirm the Caps are on the ice starting Sunday, September 13th or is it really Monday, September 14th?

The Caps site has also posted Monday, September 13th....

Posted by: Tracy2117 | August 26, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The Caps site has also posted Monday, September 13th....

Posted by: Tracy2117 | August 26, 2009 12:52 PM

Caps site says Sunday, Sept. 13th.
Read it again!!

Posted by: whiteltng | August 26, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

SWEET!!! can't wait to sneak over to Kettler during the work day. ;)

Posted by: doughless | August 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

First time long time

A couple of my fellow Bears fans and I are lookin to get to training camp sometime this year and was hoping you kind folk could help me out with a couple things. Is training camp free to attend and are the players available afterwards for pics and such or do they generally just disperse after busting their rumps all day?

Is it October yet? Go Caps/Bears

Posted by: Disagreer | August 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Working in Ballston definitely has its perks!

Posted by: wnorton81 | August 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@Disagreer - all practices are free and open to the public. After practice there is a small area inside the rink where some players come over to greet fans but most go straight to the locker room. However all of the players have to come out of the building sometime and if you walk over to the doors on the east side of the complex that is where you can take photos and get autographs of those players who care to do so. Others head straight for their cars.

Posted by: MKadyman | August 26, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

@MKadyman - thanks for the info

Posted by: Disagreer | August 26, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse