Caps Announce Development Camp Schedule

From the Caps:

The club will hold its annual summer development camp at Kettler Capitals Iceplex from July 11-14.

The on-ice workouts, which will include multiple scrimmages, are open to the public. The off-ice workouts are closed to the public.

Schedule:

Tuesday, July 10 -- Players arrive

Wednesday, July 11-- On ice in two groups beginning at 8:30 a.m.; scrimmage from 4:30 - 6 p.m.

Thursday, July 12 -- On ice in two groups beginning at 8:30 a.m.; scrimmage from 4:30 - 6 p.m.

Friday, July 13 -- On ice in two groups beginning at 8:30 a.m.; scrimmage from 4:30 - 6 p.m.

Saturday, July 14 -- On ice in two groups beginning at 8:30 a.m.; scrimmage from 4:30 - 6 p.m.

Sunday, July 15 -- Players depart

The camp's complete roster is yet to be finalized, but among the confirmed participants are Capitals first-round draft picks Karl Alzner (2007), Nicklas Backstrom (2006), Simeon Varlamov (2006), Sasha Pokulok (2005) and Joe Finley (2005). Michal Neuvirth (a 2006 second-round selection) and Maryland natives Luke Lynes (a 2006 Capitals draft pick) and Stephen Werner (a 2003 Capitals draft pick) will also attend.

Note: Schedules for Wednesday and Friday have been added.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 6, 2007; 1:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Edmonton's Plan B
Next: Brooks: "Really Lowe"

Comments

Is Finley fully commited to returning to college in the fall or if he plays really well in camp is there anyway that he could sign a pro contract and leave school??

Posted by: SM | July 6, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear that Pokulok will be back on the ice. Still though, I fear he has 'Lindros' syndrome.

Posted by: zednik27 | July 6, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmm... Hockey in July. Gotta love it.

Hehe, off ice workouts are closed to the public? You mean I can't watch Backstrom pump iron?

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 6, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info, Tarik.

Backstrom is pretty good at pumping iron. But he is even better at assisting those who pump iron. Just park in front of the iron, and he'll set you up!

Opinions vary, however. As Ovechkin would say - in Soviet Russia, iron pumps you!

Posted by: Vlad | July 6, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
I see you have Varlamov listed as a confirmed participant. Since the Caps let Daigneault walk, do you see them signing Varlamov while he's here? I know they already signed Neuvirth, but I was under the impression that he still has a year of Junior eligibility remaining and would have to be returned to Plymouth instead of heading to the Bears. Without Max II and with Neuvirth back in Juniors our minor league rosters are looking a little thin at the goalie position for the upcoming season.

Posted by: errantelf | July 6, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I doubt they'll seriously consider bringing Varlamov over now - like most Russian goalies his age, he's incredibly raw. Russia is known for pumping out great forwards - as such, the resources for goalies and in some cases, defensemen, are lesser.

Posted by: Mike | July 6, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Still, if he's spent his life defending against those great forwards that Russia pumps out... Ovechkin certainly has a very high opionion of him.

Posted by: Murshawursha | July 6, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the camp schedule..

BTW I'm enjoying reading the Canadian papers dumping on Lowe and the Oilers. It's like a guilty pleasure..

Here's the article:

Here's the money quote:

"Once again, the Oilers were left at the station as the train pulled away. They had to explain why, after refusing to pay an extra $100,000 to keep Smyth last season, they were suddenly willing to lavish $10-million this season on Vanek."

Ouch

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | July 7, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have an opinion on this center, Kyle Wilson, who seem to have had a great year at Hershey and was signed yesterday?

Posted by: A Hardwick | July 7, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Now that last week's euphoria has ( Hopefully ) died down, let's address the really pertinent issues. For starters, WHO'S GOING TO RETRIEVE THE PUCK FOR SEMIN AND OVEY? Has anybody given that even the slightest consideration? Well, it's certainly not going to be Kozlov. That's for sure. His game ( In spite of his size ) is all about finess, not strength along the boards. Other than Chris Clark, who a lot of geniuses seem to want to see on Gordon's right wing, nobody stands out as a candidate to do the dirty work necessary for our super star Russian wingers to shine.
That's why I keep emphasizing Eric Fehr. To me, he's a real key to the upcoming season. If healthy, he's the perfect fit for either Ovey, or Sasha's right wing. He's big, strong along the boards, AND HAS A WORLD CLASS WRIST SHOT. He has the potential ( There goes that word again ) to lift Wash. from "Pretender" status, to that of a real "Contender." . I truly believe that. As I said in an earlier post, I've been extremely impressed by him since watching him at his very first Caps' camp. That was Cassidy's 1st. year as coach.
One thing's for certain. Without another bona fide scoring threat, which Fehr most definitely has the potential of being, the Caps ( As presently constituted ) are still relying on the same two players for the majority of their goal scoring. And, that's not a healthy situation. I'm sorry, but I simply can't get but so enthusiastic over the prospects of a thirty - two ( 32 ) year old right wing being a significant upgrade. I think to do so, is to make a grave miscalculation. Same thing goes for a thirty - four ( 34 ) year old center. I mean, come on now, let's be serious! If the Caps are to be successful ( And that means making the playoffs ) this season, I believe it's imperative that a couple of the young guys step up. And, sadly I'm not including Klepis in that group. I simply don't think he has the personality necessary for success at the NHL level. Anybody notice how he's constantly droping his head down? I think he suffers from low self esteem and an extreme lack of confidence. "Talent" alone simply won't get it done. You have TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. And, Klepis does not.
I'll be closely monitoring Bouchard as well as Eric Fehr. I think those two could hold the keys to the season. I'm out...

Posted by: Puckguru | July 8, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, is there anymore news on what other Capitals prospects are attending the rookie camp?

Posted by: usiel | July 9, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse