Caps announce key dates

Lots going on this summer, Caps fans. From the team:

June 14 Capitals Convention tickets on sale to season-ticket holders.

June 16 Capitals Convention tickets on sale to the general public.

June 22 2010-11 NHL schedule released.

July 12 Development camp begins.

July 17 Fan Fest at KCI, development camp scrimmage.

Sept. 11 Rookie camp begins.

Sept. 18 Training camp begins.

Oct. 2 Capitals Convention at the Washington Convention Center.

For more dates and additional details, click here.

Also, stay tuned. I'll have some updates on the contract status of a couple of Caps later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 8, 2010; 10:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CSN to carry Games 3,4,5 of Calder Cup finals
Next: Agent: No talks with Caps about Theodore

Comments

RE; Whitney/Penner for Semin

Why would we give our biggest trading chip for 2 salary dumps?

Posted by: richmondphil | June 8, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, I don't think that trade would work, simply because it doesn't seem like Edmonton is getting enough out of it. I think the only teams that would trade for Semin would be either ones where getting him would be enough to make them into serious contenders, or current contenders who need more goals. He quite possibly would only be wherever he gets traded for next season.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 8, 2010 10:36 AM

Both of their contracts suck. They would both be considered semi-salary dumps.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 8, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

And I would take Kubina in a heartbeat. Higher takeaway to giveaway percentage (when most of the league is the otherway), physical d-man with offensive upside. High blocked shot count.

4.4 mil/yr sounds a bit high to me, but I would definetely take on Kubina.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 8, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm not the biggest Kubina fan. I think he is a little overrated. IMO, he is a good defenseman but I don't think much more. I think a high UFA salary for Kubina would not be worth it.

I think for possible Flash trades we have to look at teams that are really looking to upgrade their offense. Here are a few that come to mind (not necessarily trade partners but teams needing upgrades in offense):

Minnesota
Boston
Toronto
Calgary
NY Rangers
Buffalo
Columbus
Nashville
Florida
Edmonton

These would be possible trade partners for Flash in which the Caps get either a defenseman, a checking forward, or draft picks. Not likely going to get offensive players in return.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 8, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Here's a question, though. Since Ovie and Semin are BFFs, how will the former react if Semin is shipped out of town?

Posted by: stwasm | June 8, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin's reaction on any personnel moves should be secondary. I don't remember him winning any championships recently, so maybe he needs to concern himself with doing that rather than playing GM.

Posted by: paulpastro | June 10, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse