Caps go for win No. 12 tonight against Rangers

(Adam Hunger/Reuters)

Morning roundup

The Caps have a franchise-record 11 straight wins and a million reasons to be confident about the regular season and beyond:

Having joined the Washington Capitals in 1982, team president Dick Patrick has witnessed a lot from the owner's suite. Last year's record-breaking season saw the Capitals tie a franchise mark for wins and set a new standard for points. The 1991-92 team scored a club-record 330 goals. The 1997-98 edition advanced to the 36-year-old organization's first and only appearance in the Stanley Cup finals.
But this year's Capitals, Patrick said one day after the team set a franchise record with 11 consecutive wins, is the best of them all. | Full story »

*Photo gallery of the Caps' 11 straight victories »

The Bog has a fever...

...and the only prescription is more Caps cowbell?

*Caps game Friday is unbanished from CSN plus, and will now be on good old Comcast SportsNet in HD. Sorry, Wizards. Dan talked to a Comcast rep, who had this to say:

"The Capitals are on a remarkable winning streak, and due to overwhelming fan interest and the potential of Friday's game being very significant for the team, we moved the game to our primary channel so we can deliver it in HD," the spokesman wrote me. "Although they need another win to extend the streak to this weekend, we made the decision earlier this week in order to make the logistical arrangements required in a programming change like this."

*Don't check Alex Ovechkin and think you can get away with it.

*NBC Caps logo fail.

*Alex Ovechkin for Haiti relief.

*People are watching the Caps on TV.

*Brian Pothier on Ovechkin's captaincy:

"Well, if it's possible to have Ovi be any more confident, I think he is, because of it," Pothier said. "He's the best player on planet earth as far as I'm concerned. It was just inevitable for us to have that letter on his jersey. For us, he's our driving force, and when he goes, we go. The nice thing recently is if he's off one night, we're having the secondary scoring to lift him or lift the team to the win."

More Caps fever

*SI's Michael Farber: "The topic of the day, class, is which is more surprising: Sidney Crosby leading Alexander Ovechkin in goals or Ovechkin leading Crosby in assists?"

*Mike Knuble is a force in front of the net. The DC Examiner's Brian McNally writes:

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound forward was a late-bloomer who long ago reinvented himself as a crease-crashing force. He drives his big frame to the front of the goal, he has the strength to fend off opposing defensemen and he has the soft hands to punch pucks into the net. It was exactly what McPhee was looking for. It was exactly what he got.

*James Mirtle of The Globe and Mail on the Caps' incredible offense:

Eleven wins in their past 11 games. A 14-2-0 record so far in 2010. And, by a big, big margin, the most goals scored in the league this season, an average of 3.82 per game that is right out of the high-flying '80s.

*Speaking of, does Alex Ovechkin have a chance to break Wayne Gretzky's record? ESPN's John Buccigross does some number-crunching, and then writes:

...Ovechkin could end up having no career 70 goal seasons, only one more 60 goal season, no more 50-goal seasons after the age of 27, and he still can break Gretzky's all-time goal mark.

*Alex Ovechkin for MVP? (Kuklas Korner)

*It's "One Shining Moment" for the Caps, who are on their way to becoming the first hockey team to win the NCAA men's hoops tournament. (Ted's Take)

*The Caps celebrate 35 years in the NHL. (CSN Washington):

The Capitals celebrate 35 years in the NHL on Saturday Friday as they take on the Atlanta Thrashers at the Verizon Center. Despite the accolades in the record books and a new franchise record, the team still has one goal.
"Just want to win the Cup," Capitals Majority Owner Ted Leonsis told a fan on a Washington Post chat about plans to celebrate 35 years. "That is all we are now focused on as a franchise. Singular focus and determination. We have removed all other obstacles and can now have a singular focus on our present and future. I like paying homage to our past, but we have never won a Cup. That is what we are missing. "

*Caps will be collecting money for Haiti relief at Sunday's game.

Across the Caps universe
I'm trying to do a much better job at linking to all of the wonderful Caps-centric blogs whenever they have new content, but I'm sure I should add a few RSS feeds to my collection. Got a suggestion? Send it this way.

*SnOMG! How are the Penguins going to get here?! (On Frozen Blog)

*Russia will win the gold medal in Vancouver, according to this fiercely anti-American poll. (DC Landing Strip)

*Viewing party in Ballston to see the Caps go for the big 1-2. (Japers' Rink)

*Which is a bigger story in D.C.: LeBron James coming to the Wizards or the Caps winning the Cup? That's a tough one. (No, seriously, it is.) (Japers' Rink)

*What's the magic number for Nicklas Backstrom? (Rock the Red)

*How high will the Caps soar? (Storming the Crease)

Noteworthy tweets

"Michal Neuvirth has a minor lower body injury and will miss Wednesday's game in Norfolk." (jwaltonhockey)

"Bruce Boudreau will coach his 200th game behind the Caps bench tomorrow at MSG" (washcaps)

In the system

*The Bears extend their own streak to nine. (Patriot-News)

Around the league

*The Sens have now won 10 straight. Just 10? How quaint.

*The Blue Jackets fired Ken Hitchcock yesterday, but he could be back -- in a different role -- if another team doesn't hire him. (Columbus Dispatch)

*USA Hockey: Back to the future. (DC Examiner)

*Vote for your favorite hockey commercial. (NHL.com)

Weirdness

*Canucks fan green men. (So last season.) (The Score)

Tonight's matchup

Washington Capitals (38-12-6)
New York Rangers (25-25-7)
Madison Square Garden, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet (HD)
Radio: 1500 AM

*Caps look to push their streak to a dozen. (Caps' Mike Vogel)

*Gene Wang will host another chat tonight as the Caps go for 12, and we hope you'll join in. Get your reminder here:

*Tarik will check in later this morning from the skate at MSG.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 4, 2010; 5:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michal Neuvirth injured
Next: Boudreau on Caps' streak: 'It hasn't sunk in or done anything'

Comments

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 4, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Well, went on vacation. Could not see Fri or Sun due to Death Valley and Lone Pine CA no one at sports bars had bought Center Ice. Bet on Caps at Sports Book in Vegas and watched Bruins game and won and put that into poker and turned it into 5 bills.

Poti was looking very good and I'm guessing Green got suspended. The game we watched had no sound, but they showed the hit and then he wasn't in line-up. Will be rocking white tonight with steamed crabs bought with someone else's money.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps! Let's make Olli feel like he's still playing for the Cats by him watching OV score during his shift and the Caps win big!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 4, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Per Joe B no HD in MSG tonight Can you find out why CSN sometimes doesnt carry the HD road feed? Example tonight at MSG in HD in NYC SD here next week HD in Mtl & Ottawa TSN but SD back here on CSN....Please tell us why?

Posted by: jim73 | February 4, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

And OV loves to play at MSG, so a good possibility OV takes over points from Sedin and Goals from Crysbaby and Marleau. Go OV; Go Caps!

Read above, Comcast has this game in HD

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 4, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Given the coming storm, can't see how the Pens can get down here for Sunday's game after being in Montreal Saturday afternoon.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | February 4, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

All Caps away games broadcast on CSN-HD really do not look that great in HD. It's definitely a step-up from CSN+, but definitely not fully HD.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 4, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Yup-Green sure did. For three games. Lots of chatter about it and the Canadian media conspiracy, which met on the grassy knoll to decide on how to take down the feisty Caps with their super dynamic and dangerous Russkie threatening the good ole' Canadian establishment and all that. Personally I think the suspension had more to do with timing--an elbow to head so soon after the dreadful Cormice head hit on Tamm. But the boys especially Poti in Boston really stepped it up and got the win. The confidence on their faces and in their body language is something to behold. And Theo--wow. Three great goalies and Theo is not letting go of his no. 1 spot--at this rate come playoff time Varly and Neuvi are going to have to pry his fingers off his stick one digit at a time. Now may the snow not be too bad--because we are not missing the Thrashers and especially the Pens.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 4, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

@Lindsay
Thanks for the myriad links. I always check here for my news first before I start traveling the blogosphere. I appreciate the work.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 4, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Now THAT is a Morning Roundup! IMPRESSIVE!

Quote from Mugatu:
"Caps...they're so hot right now...Caps"

I think I might be late for the chat this evening...SAVE ME A SEAT!

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 4, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

could Ovie match the Great One's in goals? I suppose it's possible but Gretzky's goal total isn't 894... including the playoffs it's 1016.

I'd be happier if Ovie matched his playoff totals.

Posted by: joek443 | February 4, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

In regards to the snow...

I see no way the Atlanta game does not get played. They will fly in tonight, as the Caps will return tonight..game on Friday...could be tough for the fans though..

Sunday...Pens play at 2 p.m in Montreal, then need to fly to DC in the early evening but may need to wait out the storm...I think they will get in town, but it could be late...with TV and the super Bowl, I dont see how this game would change times...

I hope the Caps give an official word on how to plan...people spent alot of money on Pens tickets, and need to be prepared.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 4, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns: The thing I really noticed on watching Boston game sans sound is that the Caps really looked like the "classic" championship team. The other team outplayed the Caps for stretches, had more chances and even had more PPs. The Caps though maxed on their opportunities with three dirty goals, all chip ins and all set up by perfect primary assists. They look like the Red Wings of the last 15 years. Gordo from Poti was a thing of beauty and what more can you say about Knuble (also from Poti).

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns @wtf no problem, glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for not calling me Tarik. *ahem*

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | February 4, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

What's all this snow business?

It's 70 today...

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Why can't we drop the puck already?! I'm ready to watch and it's only 9:40am! I might be pulling my hair out before tonight's game! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | February 4, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I have tickets to the game Friday night but I have no idea if I will be able to get back to my apartment from the King Street Metro afterwards. If taxis and buses are not running then I will either have to drive myself or walk (5 miles in the snow). Damn you Winter!!!

Posted by: eorr53 | February 4, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I couldn't agree more. My favorite word to describe the Caps came from the Red Wings coach in that game's post game interview--OPPORTUNISTIC. True he said it as if he were tasting something unpleasant in his mouth and I wasn't sure how I felt about it. But after watching the Caps capitalized on the Bruins' mistakes in the 3rd to take the game I've decided it's a great descriptive of the Caps' play. They are opportunistic. To the end. With a killer instinct and an easy confidence in their abilities.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 4, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Hey Y'all,

Keep an eye out for me. I'll be the big guy standing and cheering in a white Kelly Miller jersey (10) when the caps score tonight.

Lets go Caps!

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | February 4, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Sundays game:

Current forecast has snow ending mid/late afternoon Saturday. There will be no issue with them getting here. Might be tough on some fans Sunday, but mostly just getting out of back streets. See http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off for details.

Posted by: jdhoover | February 4, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@Lindsay--you're welcome. I do try to distinguish between the two of you. And now Wang too.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 4, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I looked at weather and seems no issue at all getting out of Montreal, just when and if they can land in DC.

I'm sure either way it'll give Cindy something else to whine about.

Capsyoungguns: I would say from 45 years sports watching that a description of every championship team in all sports includes "opportunistic." Just like when I took all that money from those other poker players in Vegas. I was like a snake in the grass lying back (it's called sandbagging) and then I would swoop in like a vulture to claim the pot. The one pot I just rode along the girl betting $112 on pocket queens when I had pocket aces. Pocket aces and I didn't have to bet a penny to win nearly $200.

Heh-heh.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

GREAT Morning Roundup!!!

Posted by: JD09 | February 4, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

If Tarik (or anyone else) has any insight as to what the snow contingency plans are for Sunday's game, I'd love to hear them (since I have tix!)
Yes, the snow is supposed to end by Saturday afternoon, but if previous double-digit accumulation storms are any indication, it may take National and Dulles a day or two to re-open and resume normal operations so its not clear to me when then Pens would be able to get here from Montreal. And that doesn't even address the issue of how many fans will be able to get downtown if there's over a foot of new snow on the ground. Would the Caps push the game back a few hours? Would they dare to push it back so it conflicts with the Super Bowl? Would the game be postponed to a later date? Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

Posted by: lmf-DC | February 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Sidney Crosby is the ultimate leader...he will make his team parachute onto the mall, so they can play on Sunday...

They need to settle the score for the beat-down they were handed up in Pitts. They will be here.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any insight as to how 2 feet of snow can affect the running of Amtrak?

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | February 4, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

this town makes me laugh when it comes to snow.

"how will we get there with an ENTIRE foot of snow??? AHHHHH!!!!"

Posted by: JD09 | February 4, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Pierre McGuire will carry Crosby on his back from Montreal down I-87 if he has to. There's no way he will miss a chance to do a game in which Crosby plays.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

It's not a foot JD09...recent reports are calling for 5-9 feet of snow

Posted by: SA-Town | February 4, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

NHL network will show 6 AHL games in Feb. and March but no Bears' game??? WTH

Posted by: ATOMIX1 | February 4, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Well, the snow will at least keep some of the stupid Pittsburgh fans away, although they cant even get tickets anymore to the VC!

I would think that the airports will be closed Sat but reopen Sun morning. Hopefully NBC pushes back the game a few hours to 3pm, which would allow Crysby and the stupid Pens to fly in on Sun morning and still let the game conclude before the super bowl starts.

Posted by: rademaar | February 4, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

pushing the game to 3 p.m would be a nightmare with the Super Bowl....I dont agree...I say play at noon or move it to Monday night.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 4, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I heard they're prepared to move the Superbowl to Monday night actually, and put the Caps/Pens in it's place.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 4, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Bravo WaPo, Bravo for your sudden resurgence of Caps interest. Clap.......clap.......clap.......clap..........clap

Posted by: Andoy | February 4, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone read the article about OV for MVP? All the Pens fans think Crysby should get it...I personally put OV and Sedin above Crosby, and Miller 2!

Posted by: capscoach | February 4, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I've got a question about Aucoin. I was taking a look at his contract and it looks like he'll be a UFA next season? Is that right?

If that's true - you'd think that GMGM would try and include him in a deadline deal no? I mean, he's had his chances to stick with the Caps and he just hasn't performed. He racks up big time points in the AHL - but hasn't been able to duplicate it in his stints with the Caps. He'd easily make the grade on an NHL level with a less wing-heavy club no? I can't see him re-signing with the Caps next year when he could go to another team and make their NHL roster.

Am I missing something here?

Posted by: patrone | February 4, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh will be here if they have to walk. Remember if we win tonight and Fri. it will be #12 & #13. Pittsburgh holds the record at 17 in a row. They will have added incentive to stop us on Sun from #14.

Posted by: billd2 | February 4, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I too am wondering how and if Sunday's game gets played. Also why no love for the Bears at the NHL Network?

Posted by: adhardwick | February 4, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@patrone

Aucoin has next to nothing value. He's 31, and that age you are defined as a journeyman.

Andrew Gordon has much more value than Aucoin, and he has little value.

Posted by: JSchon | February 4, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Aucoin is 30 years old and has no value in a trade. He lights up the AHL but is to small for NHL. Though he has had a couple of NHL stints, he is a career AHL. He is a classic twenner.

Posted by: RichC3 | February 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

So with blizzard conditions expected tomorrow night how many folks are going to make it to the game...better yet the players?!?

Posted by: NatyBG | February 4, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 4, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Hop in the Jeep and make it happen.

Posted by: JSchon | February 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

We have tickets for the Bears game on Saturday...not too sure we will make it!

Posted by: NatyBG | February 4, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

On Sunday you may have to pour your own beer and stuff $7.50 in a box...but thats fine with me...

Posted by: SA-Town | February 4, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

are we a "mystery team" in the Kovy race?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

One big obstacle in getting to the Caps games both Friday and Sunday will be Metro. I am sure that the system will again fail and that Metro will probably close all above-ground stations at some point tomorrow afternoon. If this is the case it will make it very difficult for anyone in the suburbs to get downtown.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 4, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

sources say Kovy being moved after Atlanta's practice this morning

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

imagine. if he gets traded to caps and then he plays against his team on friday.... i still would like us to go for kubina and maxim. that would be better value.

Posted by: samb99 | February 4, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@samb99

I agree on Kubina but not on Maxim.

There really isn't a place for Maxim and I don't see him as an upgrade over any of the players on the first 3 lines and he certainly is not a forechecking type forward for the fouth line.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 4, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

sounds like it might be Jersey- believe it or not

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 4, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Is Kovy on his way here?

Posted by: guer_j | February 4, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

i guess i look at maxim has another threat and a backup if injury bug hits us. so drop laich to third line and have semin flash and max light it up. chimera goes to fourth line. both kubina and max are ufa. so the price should be reasonable.

Posted by: samb99 | February 4, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 4, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Keith Aucoin may be small but I don't qualify him as the classic tweener. The reason I don't is because he has averaged over a 1/2 point per game when called up by the Caps 11 points in 21 games. NHL totals have him at .33 points per game, still not shabby over 76 games (26 points). Now, Alex Giroux on the other hand scored close to 70 with regular season and playoffs combined last season and he can't get points in the NHL to save his life. Aucoin's size is definitely working against him, absolutely, but his compete level is always there. When he has been up how many of you in the middle of the game have gone "OH AUCOIN.?" I really haven't, quite the contrary I'm normally pleasantly surprised with his play. I think he's outta here after this season if not packaged up though. He's an expensive AHLer. That is of course unless he excepts a leadership role down in the AHL.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Now THAT is a Morning Roundup! IMPRESSIVE!

Quote from Mugatu:
"Caps...they're so hot right now...Caps"

I think I might be late for the chat this evening...SAVE ME A SEAT!

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 4, 2010 8:11 AM

@wtf_e_fehr:

Pure win for the Zoolander reference...

After all, there's more to being an NHL MVP than being really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, good-looking.

XII!!!

FEAR THE WEAGLE!!!
LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 4, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Question: When OV is on the ice, it seems like teams try to have at least two players on him at all times...when I watch Crosby play, it seems like he isn't tailed as much...am I just too biased to see this, or are other teams just more scared of OV than Crosby?

Posted by: capscoach | February 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Just got a Metro Alert:

"Disruption at All Stations. If snow accumulations are 8" or higher, above ground service will be suspended. Metro will operate below ground service only."

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 4, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"Seriously, it's snow people. Snow happens in winter. Just like hockey. Like... what kind of hockey crowd frets about getting to a game, a WEEKEND game no less, because of... ... ... snow?"

Agreed. What kind of HOCKEY fans complain about snow. This is why I still don't understand why we don't have a team back home in Wisconsin....

Posted by: JD09 | February 4, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

that's probably because Crosby is till known primarily as a passer but if he keeps up his goal scoring prowess, they will have to pay more attention.

Posted by: joek443 | February 4, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday in the comments I guessed Kovalchuk would go to New Jersey.

This article at ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4884245

says that Philadelphia, LA, and New Jersey are still in the hunt. It says there are conflicting rumors about Boston still being in it. It says that LA might no longer be interested. So it makes it seem like Philly and New Jersey are the top two candidates.

I'm still saying New Jersey. They have cap room. They have prospects to give up. With a defense like theirs, they are in a decent position to try to win it all this year. They have a lot of trouble scoring and need him more than the other teams. And with their defense, they have a more realistic chance of winning the Cup this year than LA, Boston, and Philly.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1: The understanding when the Caps last sent Aucoin down is was because he had played 9 games. Once he plays ten games, it was explained he couldn't go back down w/o waivers. I agree I think Aucoin has done OK given point production vs value of contract. I think Caps will bring him up late in the year like last year and keep him around for the Playoffs.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

While I'm not especially fearful of driving in the snow, this city and most of its inhabitants are not prepared. We don't typically get enough snowfall to warrant big budgets for snow-clearing equipment and personnel. MD is already way over their annual snow-clearing budget. The above ground Metro lines usually shutdown when snowfall is heavy. People are terrible about clearing their sidewalks and few people have snowblowers. A lot of the residents don't know how to drive in the stuff because they get little practice and virtually no one buys snow tires because heavy snow falls are so few and far between. Anybody who has lived in the DC area for at least 5 years would understand this. There's just concern for how to get to the game Sunday.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 4, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Aucoin's points-per-minute-of-ice-time numbers this year and last, albeit in a limited number of games, are off the charts. I think there's a place for him on a second line in the NHL somewhere--just not on the Capitals.

Last year, his PROD (minutes of ice time per point) was only 20:38 in 12 games. If he could keep up that kind of production for a full season at the NHL level, he'd be a top 40 player in that stat at the very least. This year in 9 games it was 15:50, which is insanely high--only three NHL players who have played in at least 30 games this season have a better one so far this season--Ovechkin, Sedin, and Sedin (and Semin is close with 15:52). Last year in 12 games Aucoin was +5 and this year he went -2 in 9 games.

I'd like to see if he could keep putting up numbers like that, but not at the expense of anyone on the Capitals roster right now I don't think.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I also think the Devils would benefit a lot from someone like Kovalchuk who I think of as someone who is very capable of scoring goals without all that much help. The only weird thing about them getting Kovalchuk as far as I can tell is that Parise, Elias, and Rolston are all playing left wing at the moment I think. I have no idea to what extent any of these four guys are comfortable playing other positions.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 4, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse