Caps Audio, Video, Photos ...

Hello, Caps Insiders readers. Jon DeNunzio, sports editor at washingtonpost.com here.

I wanted to make sure you saw some of the things we have online after the weekend's split vs. the Flyers:
- Mike Wise video column from Sunday
- Tarik El-Bashir audio analysis, looking ahead to Game 3 as well as back at 1 and 2.
(Tarik also did an interview on Tony Kornheiser's show on WWWT this morning, btw. They podcast that sucker at some point ... )
- Photo gallery from Games 1 and 2
- Fan photo gallery (and yes, we'll accept photos from the away games this week)
- Blog posts from our Lindsay Applebaum on Crowd Noise. Lindsay went to Verizon on Sunday to see if fans in the building sounded like the fans whose comments she highlights in CN every day ...

Also, I hope you've noticed that Tarik is blogging at warp speed lately, and the highlight to me has been his pre- and in-game posts. Check in Tuesday night for more of this from Tarik's laptop in Philly.

While I have you here, please feel free to let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see washingtonpost.com do during the playoffs.

Later,

Jon

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  April 14, 2008; 2:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Day of Rest for Caps
Next: Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green Cash In

Comments

Excellent, thank you. This stuff (plus haranguing Flyers fans) is what keeps us going between games

Posted by: uncatim | April 14, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Jon - Kudos to the Post for all your online coverage of the Caps. Everything you're doing is awesome, and the fans appreciate Tarik's tireless work. Any chance we can see some video interviews with the players? I know demand for them is high, but it's just something I'd be interested to see.
Great work, fellas!

Posted by: Lola | April 14, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

NBC vision test (in case you missed it at the end of a now dead thread)

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 14, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Jon,

Tarik is doing an outstanding job. I was surprised the other day when I happened to check in and saw he was blogging during the game. Gave us a chance to share our views on it. Kudos to him.

Also -- I like what the Post is doing, both online and hard copy. It's nice to see the Caps get some recognition. Thanks for the effort!

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | April 14, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

give tarik a raise.

Posted by: jamebow | April 14, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Make me Tarik's deputy.

Posted by: the ocho | April 14, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I no longer read the articles. Never really did. I watch the games so I don't need to read about it. It's the pre-game and post game stuff on the blog that I read, because I cannot get that info anywhere else. I check the blog 4 or 5 times a day easy. Keep it up!

Posted by: DB | April 14, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Put Tarik in net for game 3!!!!!!

Posted by: Ray Parker Jr. | April 14, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Any chance we can do a Front Page exclusive on Mike Milbury and his great time as a NY Islanders front office exec?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to say that Tarik, Steinberg, and the Post in general is doing a great job covering the Caps. Thank you so much for feeding our appetites for all things Caps!! :-)

Posted by: sidhe | April 14, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Any one else think that flash should be scratched Tues and laing or fehr should be in. I think Fehr should probably be in to help out the off, but laing could help out def also. Either way, I think, flash should be out. I also think that Erskine or Schultz should be scratched and emi should be in. The caps are something like 15 or 16-4-1 with him in the line up. He is faster than erskine and even Schultz. I don't think Schultz is nhl ready still. But he would help out more on def with his speed.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Thomas | April 14, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Jon,

The Post's photos are always good and often outstanding -- is there any chance we can buy prints of some of the Caps shots from the past two weeks? I know the usual policy is that sports editorial photos require special permissions.

Thanks!

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | April 14, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I commented once before that these blogs that Tarik is kind enough to host are actually areas where we the reader are generating a lot of the content.

These pages would load faster on mobile devices (say if you're at a game) if they didn't have advertising on them.

Seems at least worth asking.

If the Caps start making the playoffs a regular thing a more extensive re-vamp may be worth considering in a near future season.

Thanks

Posted by: austinsteve | April 14, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

...oh, also you can't get to Tarik's area on a mobile device unless you know/type in the link manually.

Posted by: austinsteve | April 14, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

If you could make it so that Washington wins 3 of their next 5 games, that would be great.

Posted by: A Request | April 14, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

You guys suck at covering anytthing about the Caps. You'd rather cover poker or some obscure golf tournament somewhere in New Zealand than give Tarik more space. Besides Tarik, all of your sport columnists suck!

Posted by: wanggo | April 14, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Jon,

Thanks for what you are doing to cover the lpayoffs and for reaching out to us, the readers. We appreciate it. May I also say that TARIK ROCKS!!

I do have a request and it is that the Caps receive this level of coverage/attention from the Post throughout the regular season rather than simply during playoff time. The Caps and their fans deserve to have proper full coverage in the town's most widely read newspaper/news site.

Thank you!

Posted by: Jill | April 14, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Ignore wanggo. He's a weirdo. Maybe that should be his new name.

Weirdo. Wanggo - I think not.

Anyways, I really think the Post should possibly include a fans comments/interviews/opinions section. I think that would be neat. Obviously nothing long, but brief and to the point.

Posted by: A REAL CAPS FAN | April 14, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

The extra coverage on the Caps for the last few weeks has been fantastic and Tarik always does a great job!

What I would like to see is the coverage continue into next season. I recognize that this is above and beyond because of the playoffs, but on average, besides Tarik's blog the Caps do not get the kind of exposure that they deserve. Keep it up!! I check this blog WAY mor than I should be.

Posted by: Grape8 | April 14, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"WELCOME TO DUNGEEN OF DOOM........"

GEICO So easy, a Flyer can do it!

Posted by: 828 | April 14, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Jon,

Please have half this coverage next season. that's all i ask. it seems like now, there's way too much attention which is actually a turn off.

Also, Jason La Canfora's article friday night was fantastic. His insights have a lot more merit than say, Mike Wise's, who is better with the nfl and nba. Thank you!

Posted by: Ian | April 14, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Jon D:
Don't you think its time to get rid of the "Goal Oriented" link underneath Tariks link on the opening page? That's the freakiest pic of AO and its over a year old...Thanks

Posted by: NJ | April 14, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

My 2 cents on what the Caps need to do better... first, I don't think we need to change too much... just a few tweaks:

1. Expect Philly to stretch the ice with long passes... Philly seemed to change strategy from game 1 to game 2 in an attempt to break our system... unfortunately, it worked very well, and we'll need to adjust.

2. Get bodies to the net, but perhaps equally important: every shot doesn't need to be top corner (which recently has meant wide or high). Some shots should be fired at the goalie's pads to create rebounds. In trying to fire the perfect wrister, I think guys like Semin aren't creating the follow-up chances we'll need.

3. Pressure the puck in our defensive zone to prevent the outside shot. We seem to back up a lot, which is probably OK with teams that don't crash the net as much, but against the flyers, shots from the perimeter are always an adventure due to the net presence. Yeah, we want to move the traffic from in front of the net, but there's a reason we're not doing it... it's not legal. Hartnell's got a right to be there and moving him is not easy without taking penalties. If we pressure the perimiter, they'll have to pass it through us, and that's going to be harder with an immobile guy in front of the net.

4. As everyone has said, don't be so cute in the offensive zone and on the power play.

I think playing in Philly will actually be a good thing for the team. Don't change much, but keep it a bit simpler and a little bit more back to basics.

Posted by: TripDonkeys | April 14, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

flyers suck. Might as well start the chant.

Posted by: dave | April 14, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Commenting on the photos for a second. While I agree with Scott in Shaw that the photos are always outstanding, the captions always aren't. I can remember some captions that stood out for the lack of use of proper English. Possible washingtonpost.com can do a smidge better with their editing?

I'd also like to say while Tarik's blog has always been outstanding and Dan Steinberg has done a great job looking at the other side of the Caps, I'd like to see more Caps coverage in the future. Maybe not as much as there has been lately, but a nice balance for the hockey fans and football, basketball, and baseball fans would be nice.

Posted by: SLM | April 14, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for giving the team the coverage they deserve. I can't say enough about Tarik's coverage of the Caps--great insights, good writing, and a love of the game. I also appreciate Tarik taking the time to blog during the games. My friend and have been checking in on his blog in between periods while at the Verizon Center. It's great to get to virtually compare notes with him about how the game is going.

Posted by: CapitalGirl | April 14, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve
I'm in Austin for a conference tomorrow -- where's the best place to catch the game? Thanks much, Go Caps!

Posted by: Jesstyr | April 14, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 14, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Jon,

Please don't promote Tarik... pay him just enough to stay... I don't know what sort of amazing things I would get done at work if it weren't for Tarik's AMAZING blog.

Give him a big pat on the back!

Posted by: MetalCap | April 14, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The Caps didn't get to the playoffs by luck. They fought hard and played good team hockey to get there. Hockey is a game of ebbs and flows, and game 1 or 2 could have gone either way. That will continue to be the case in this series. I see a 2 game split returning to DC for game 5. Keep the faith and remember T.O.D.

Posted by: Edge | April 14, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Jon. First off! Thanks! for expanding the Cap coverage in print and with the graphics, videos, etc.

Suggestions...
1. Have the blog and friday discussion appear so the most recent posts are at the top. Make it easier to read.
2. As you did in your blog post...have a "spot" on theCaps page with all the links to various Caps articles, video, etc.
3. Especially the link the the Friday Discussions - you guys hide it! ;-)
4. Monitor the blog entries? Some get just juvenile and some crude. Maybe have a couple threads at one time? You know, real talk and trash talk?
5. Don't let Tarik out of your sight!

Posted by: dezlboy | April 14, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@Jesstyr

I was in Austin during the final week, and found the third base in Austin to be hockey friendly. They had the Center Ice package, and put the Caps on a TV for me and a few other Caps fans who actually live in Austin.

I ended up calling like 40 different places, and that was a solid choice.

Depending on where you are staying you may also want to consider

1. Third Base Sports Bar 1717 W. Sixth St, Austin, TX 78703
2. Ringers Sports Lounge 415 Colorado St, Austin, TX 78701
3. Dave and Busters Austin
4. Legend's Sports Bar (Holiday Inn) 8901 Business Pk Dr, Austin, TX 78759

thats the list i put together back around April 3rd or so

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 14, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@Metal Cap

Pay Tarik just enough to stay? haha Come one man! We want them to pay him enough that he'll never want to leave!

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 14, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Check that, Ringers was the place that advertised Center Ice but was closed for business, allegedly due to owing back taxes.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 14, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@ Jesstyr

Hey, I almost missed your call-out.

After much discussion recently we decided Ringers (overpriced and kinda impersonal) was technically the "best" sports bar in Austin but it is now *closed*.

The second-best place (always was friendlier and more fun) is Third Base on west 6th street. But tomorrow we compete with the Stars fans who are going there as well. So getting there a little before either game starts would be good for getting the game and best seats.

Nobody down here knows a Cap from a Canuck, but with all these visitors from Cap-land maybe I should get the new jersey...

Posted by: austinsteve | April 14, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The flyers have outplayed the caps 5 of the 6 periods on the road so far. And you caps fans haven't even seen the flyers play their best hockey yet... wait till our other lines start scoring... and wait till our powerplay figures out your weak penelty kill system, then its going to be a very long series for you guys. That being said I give Kudos to Federov and your guys aggressive penelty kill so far. By far the only two bright spots you guys can take away from the first two games other then that third period come back. You guys should start praying your team learns how to play defense or this will be a much shorter series then anticipated

Posted by: Jeff | April 14, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero Guy
that vision test was hillarious. Now I understand Mcblinds comments.

Posted by: Puck the pens | April 14, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

1. A story about altercations between fans at the first two playoff games

2. Give Tarik a raise

3. Hire a hockey-centric columnist so bandwagoners like Wise and Boswell don't have to do a job they obviously don't want to, and aren't qualified to do.

Posted by: Mike | April 14, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

on a side note... it has been a very interesting series so far. One team is playing playoff hockey while the other is riding the emotions of the game. One team is playing a system and the other is playing on indivual talent. The caps definatly have the talent to win, but they better start relying on eachother more and playing some tpye of system if they expect to win in philly. I honestly hope the caps win a game in philly i wanna see this go to 7 games i don't see the next rounds being this interesting. That being said, i honestly don't see it happening. I think the flyers have figured you guys out. I think they did in game 1 but lost it at the end due to unfortunate events and mental lapses. Not to mention the younger caps players looked a bit tentative and scared on the ice for most of game 1 and 2 and they were playing in front of a home crowd. This is a much more seasoned flyers team that seems to thrive on home ice in big games. I expect the fans to have a huge part of these next two games. My bets on philly winning both tho. If the caps were going to win this series they were going to have to win both at home and out play the flyers... they didn't do that all but one period. If they were going to make adjustements it would have been made during game 2. I don't think theres many adjustments you can make. The lack of defense on the caps really showed these first two games and the physical presence of the flyers team defense showed in both of those as well... I'm concerened if i'm a caps fan. Much like I'm concerend if I'm a sharks fan

Posted by: Jeff | April 14, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

speaking of the sharks any "Hockey fans" in here see that game last night? I saw the third period and the sharks looked shell shocked. What the hell happened to the regular season sharks, cause they looked like a bunch of little peewee players out there in the third last night?

Posted by: Jeff | April 14, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Put the blogs in true alphabetical order. That would put this blog first and the D.C. Sports Bog some place other than first.

Posted by: Jeff | April 14, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

okay, since i don't see anyone else giving mike wise props, let me just say that i think his editorials have been excellent--both interesting and accurate. i don't know what more a caps fan would want out of a columnist, and in particular it's the lack of attention by the boswells, wises, wilbons and kornheisers that has been the WaPo's most noticeable deficiency in caps coverage the past few seasons.
thanks and keep up the great work.

Posted by: kyle | April 14, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff

You haven't seen the Caps playing their best hockey either.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 14, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Jon, thanks for your post and for soliciting feedback. The playoff coverage of the Caps has been great. But I have a couple of requests.

First, send Tarik out on the road beginning with game 1 of preseason play. I'm disappointed with AP cut and pastes in September.

Second, Tarik needs more help in satisfying hungry Caps fans during the regular season.

Third (and perhaps most important) please don't let Tom Boswell and others who haven't written a single Caps article in 82 regular season games chime in at playoff time questioning BB's "coolness" as if they know or even care about hockey. Let them lament another disappointing Redskins season and cover the perpetual Dan Synder team overhaul. That's enough to keep them busy year round.

Posted by: DeadKings08 | April 14, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Jon, I just want you to know that Tarik is fantastic and has earned a raise! He is just a class act! and Thank you! Thank You! Thank You! for being one of the only consistent main stream media outlets that actually covered the Capitals during the "rebuild"! Keep up the good work! and Lets Go Caps!

Posted by: Puddin_An_Semin | April 14, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Just checking back in ... thanks so much for all the feedback and so many nice comments. I also should thank Tarik for having all his family members post "Give Tarik a raise" comments ... :D

I do not think I can address all the questions you guys asked here, but I'll take a swing at a few:
- You should be able to buy photos at the Post Photo Store -- http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?provider_id=25
- We are continuing to look at ways to make the mobile experience better, as more and more users find us that way. Good points. I do not think we can ditch the ads, tho. They kinda pay the bills.
- More coverage all the time. I'll admit that's a tough one. Emilio Garcia-Ruiz, my counterpart at the newspaper who actually supervises pretty much everyone you read online here, deploys his troops based on news value and reader interest. I have some input, and try to let him know what our web readers want.
Without getting into one of those long how-much-is-enough coverage debates (please please no), let's just say that if a local team's fan base were to grow and grow in significant ways (measured by attendance, tv ratings, page views, etc etc) over an extended period of time, the coverage almost certainly would follow. We keep watching these things, trust me.

Is that too vague?

Thanks again for the input. See you around these parts soon ...

Jon

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | April 14, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

re: dezlboy

i concur about the tarik online discussions links...i can never find them! a simple link would be nice on the caps page, thanks.

Posted by: discussions! | April 15, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse