Caps, Bears Extend Affiliation

The Caps and Bears have extended their agreement through the 2009-10 season, with an option for a third year.

It's been a good marriage between the organizations (just look at the promotion of Bruce Boudreau and the 13 former and current Bears who played for the Caps this season). It's an added bonus that the clubs are separated by only 130 miles, which makes it easy for prospects and front office folks to shuttle back and forth.

Not to mention Hershey smells like chocolate. And who doesn't like chocolate?

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 22, 2008; 10:49 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stanely Cup Finals Are Set
Next: Alzner Signed to Entry Level Deal (Updated)

Comments

mmmmm...chocolate...

Posted by: Homer | May 22, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I hate chocolate. Its rich brown color, its varying textures, its mildly intoxicating aroma. It settles around my hips and covers my thighs and ass like an unwelcome but cozy blanket. It calls to in hushed whispers. It asks who I'm saving the rest for. It questions why there should be any postponement. It coos mischievously as the last of it passes my lips. I melt it down and rub it over my body. I stick to things. People are at first appalled but the scent hits them and they swoon in unison with my ranting, my murmmering, my unheeded proclamations to steady myself... I hate you, god, how i hate you...do it again....

Posted by: oo7 | May 22, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Would the Capitals want to take Norfolk if they could? I don't know the situations, but it seems more geographically logical.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 22, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Great News! I've been a Caps fan ever since I was a kid in the early 80's and the Bears and Caps were affiliated the first time.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | May 22, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Homer took the words out of my mouth.

Chocolate is not better than sex or love like some people say. But it is pretty damn good.

@11:26 - Norfolk is further from DC than Hershey.

Posted by: Jill | May 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I go up to Hershey several times a year to watch the Bears. They are a great organization, their fans are great, and I have a good time whenever i go. They have a very long history and are a classy team. I also find it funny, some of those bears fans are Pens & flyers fans and now root for the caps because we have so many bears players.

Posted by: Grape8 | May 22, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: More News | May 22, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

That's nice news, but I really want to hear about signings involving actual players named Green, Huet and Federov. You got anything on that, Tarik?

Posted by: b.orr4 | May 22, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

With folks back from the worlds and Medals carefully displayed, it should be time for agents and GMs to do their thing. Still could take a while though, and I HATE SUSPENSE.

Okay, I'm better now... At least we know Bruce and the Alexes will be here.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | May 22, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

With folks back from the worlds and Medals carefully displayed, it should be time for agents and GMs to to their thing. Still could take a while though, and I HATE SUSPENSE.

Okay, I'm better now... At least we know Bruce and the Alexes will be here.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | May 22, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Go Bears, we go 3/4 times a year to watch the Bears and always see Caps fans, this has to be good for them as well.

Posted by: Bob | May 22, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green has been signed to a multi-year contract with the Hershey Bears.

Posted by: Bears Press Office | May 22, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I hear that the talkas have been held up because Ted ran out of checks.

Posted by: old time hockey | May 22, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reekie | May 22, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

HEY b.orr4

Tarik has been on top of EVERYTHING...I'm pretty sure if there is a big signing he'll let us know...just going out on a limb though...

Posted by: goodjobTarik | May 22, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Lets cut the BS! Resigning the farm team is nice. But what about resigning those players that really matter for next season??

Let's hope the next thread Tarik writes is about resigning our free agents, instead of this BACKGROUND NOISE stuff.

Posted by: Danny | May 22, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I love chocolate!

Posted by: Jeff R. | May 22, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Relax folks. The world championship just ended and free agency doesn't start until July. we still have time to get these key players re-signed. I don't think it's time to panic just yet. Tarik does a great job of getting us the info when these things happen.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | May 22, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Great news even if I am a part of the rare few that does not like chocolate, heh.

Lots of good prospects heading to Hershey with the past few good drafts and hopefully another good one coming up.

Posted by: usiel | May 22, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Danny darling, forgot to take your medications again didn't you?

Posted by: ATOMIX | May 22, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Danny,

Chill dude. You seem to thing that Tarik is holding out with the info. When Green and co. get re signed Tarik will let you know.

Posted by: CH | May 22, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Sorry guys. I'm just getting a little anxious, seeing that the Blackhawks had resigned their restricted free agents yesterday.

I'll go take my medication now.

Posted by: Danny | May 22, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! No pun intended.

Hershey is a logical affiliation, and since my girlfriend's Family lives about a half hour from the Arena i'll get to check out another game next season

Posted by: Sombrero | May 22, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in DC and had to move to central PA for work, so I'm thrilled that the Caps and Hershey are still affliated. I've enjoyed watching some of the young guns mature in CocoTown. Great news!

Posted by: JIM | May 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"Why would Norfolk be more geographically logical? Norfolk is a good bit further from DC than Hershey."

---

That's true, but Hershey is firmly in Flyers/Penguins territory. In terms of expanding the fan base, Norfolk seems like a better fit. Although I suppose it's not a huge deal either way.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

heshey draws 3 times the crowds that norfolk does and is in a way better location re length of roadtrips

Posted by: wendel | May 23, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Best chocolate in D.C.:

www.thecacaotree.com

Posted by: DCDireWolf | May 27, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

This is a good time to re-up especially with the flyers looking for a new affilate home next year with the spectrum closing. Keep the Flyers outta Hershey. Lets Go Caps!!

Posted by: Dan L | May 27, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse