Caps beat Rangers, 6-5, for 12th straight win

(Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

A full postgame wrap-up is on the way, but here's a quick look at the numbers (seriously, how could you not?) following tonight's 6-5 win at Madison Square Garden.

500 career regular-season points for Alex Ovechkin. (Dan Steinberg has all the details on Ovechkin's one-handed goal.)

7 power-play goals combined in tonight's game.

5 points tonight for Nicklas Backstrom.

20 goals this season by Mike Knuble.

3.86 goals per game averaged by the Caps, most in the league.

1 The Caps' place in the NHL standings. Also: Alex Ovechkin's league rank in points, goals and plus-minus.

12 consecutive victories, most in franchise history.

Highlights:

More to come.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 4, 2010; 10:53 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Mike Knuble, New York Rangers, Nicklas Backstrom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live chat: Caps at Rangers
Next: Caps 6, Rangers 5 (updated)

Comments

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: HemmedUp | February 4, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Lindsay. What a game!

How 'bout them Caps?!

Posted by: wocoliz | February 4, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Numbers that were ridiculous and still are:

#2 in power rankings on ESPN
#3 in power rankings on TSN

Caps are #1 and we all know it. GO CAPS!

Posted by: TheGJ | February 4, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

not a game I want to see a repeat of, but what an incredible offensive powerhouse we are! This is the worst D we've seen in the streak. and the PK. I know -- it makes little sense to criticize any winner in a 12 game streak. Sorry.

Looking for much more disciplined play this weekend anyway. ATL might not have Kovalchuk, but Bergefors and Oduya will be looking to show their worth. And it's the Penguins Sunday. Yes.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 4, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I know we won but I don't know that I feel so good after this game. I mean good Lord our PK sucks. Lets call a spade a spade folks, our PK flat out sucks. I personally think we've got the personnel to be a decent PK team but I really disagree with BB's philosophy of letting just about everybody kill penalties. I mean it's terrible and there are guys that shouldn't be out there on the PK. Steckel to me is the #1 guy that shouldn't be out there unless there are only a few seconds left and we just need to win a draw. Secondly, why the hell is Laing a constant scratch? He's our best PKer. We need him up top blocking shots. We need Laing, Backs, Semin, BMo and Brads as our main PK unit up top. These guys can kill penalties there are many others that are out there that can't. This has to be fixed before the playoffs. I'm sorry but I can't see us winning the Cup with a PK percentage of

This was the Ranges for crying out loud! It's not like they have a good PP or anything. Gotta get it fixed.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 4, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, what do you know? If your winning streak gets long enough, your game gets mentioned in the top stories on SportsCenter, your highlights are in the first half-hour of the show, and Barry Melrose says there'll be a problem if OV's one-hander isn't the top play of the night. Even ESPN is coming around! lol

Posted by: wocoliz | February 4, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Didn't get a chance to see this one on TV. Watching the highlights - is it just me, or did Theo manage to put together a good game while allowing five goals? Four were PP goals, and the other was the result of sloppy play in the Caps zone.

Hard to imagine a better way to get point number 500. Definitely higher than top 30 for Ovi.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 4, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

@Johninmpls - well I wouldn't go so far as to say Theo had a good game. Granted he isn't the entire reason for giving up 5 goals. It was a game where he should've stopped a couple but also made a couple really nice saves to either keep us in the game or at least gave us an opportunity to win anyway. So I know we're just mixing words here but my description of his game would be "ok" vs. "good" if that makes sense.

The bottom line as I mentioned above is our PK unit is horrific. The Rangers are far from a stellar PP team and they scored on 3 out of their 1st 4 pp's. With a decent PK unit this game wouldn't have been close. This unit HAS to get better if we have dreams of winning a Cup this year.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 5, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface1208

The Caps PK had done better lately, except for a couple of lapses that led to 5 on 3 situations that proved costly.

I still thought the Caps needed some work on PK instead of a day off.

Now I know that's what they need to work on. Today's PK was just awful. I hope tomorrow's is better.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 5, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

3-0 without Green. The NHL can suck on that.

Posted by: zyvo23 | February 5, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

"I still thought the Caps needed some work on PK instead of a day off."

I get what you are saying, and I know its a business, and these players are getting payed millions of dollars to work, but I think having the mentor's trip and some quality time with their fathers/brothers for a brief time is just as important for their morale. I have a feeling having their fathers in the crowd alone played a huge part in these past two wins. Sure, I always want the players to improve, but with the amount of games they have been playing recently, I think a day off is not the worst thing.

That said, I definitely feel that the Caps need to work on their PK in practice, and I am sure they will get to it. As a fan I have enjoyed this historic streak, and I am glad they got to break/set a record in front of their fathers and brothers, getting the opportunity to spend some quality time with them along the way.

How much of the Olympic break do players who are not playing in the games take off? Is there a strict freeze on NHL action in terms of practices?

Congrats on the 12 wins, and congrats to OV on his 500th point!!!!

Go Caps!