Caps Fall to Panthers 5-3

Well maybe it was a good thing that this game wasn't on TV. It was far from pretty with three of the eight goals (the Caps' first and the Panthers' second and third tallies) ricocheting off someone or something.

*Tonight's game is the Capitals' first loss in regulation at Verizon Center since Nicklas Backstrom put the puck in his own net on March 9 last season -- they were 15-0-1 at home since.

*Coach Bruce Boudreau didn't take it easy on the team and called it the most lethargic performance of the season.

"Frankly, it was the least energy I think we've had all year...We didn't play with a lot of life and everybody's accountable. That's what I said in the room today. It's not me coming in and yelling at you. You guys should be yelling at each other."

*For the Panthers' first goal Ville Peltonen beat rookie defenseman Karl Alzner, who looked his age for the first time since being recalled. Alzner said afterward that he hasn't completely adjusted to NHL timing and here's his take on that goal.

"In the first period I felt really good," Alzner said. "I had my head up. I was making plays. As soon as the second period hit, I tried to be overaggressive on a 2-on-2 and (Peltonen) caught me on it. That's where I don't have the timing down just yet. I'm definitely going to work on it in practice tomorrow I'm going to ask some of the guys to come down on me a few times and see what guys like to do in this league."

*On to the Panthers' second goal. Dave Steckel, who was on the near boards to the right of Jose Theodore, said he was trying to pass the puck to Shaone Morrisonn, who was on the far wall to Theodore's left. Steckel passed the puck across the ice in front of the net and the puck deflected off Alzner and into the net.

Steckel: "I should have put it behind the net, but I didn't. It's unfortunate"
Alzner: "What we like to do on the penalty kill is control the puck when we have time. I was yelling "Over" assuming that he was going to go over behind the net. He tried to go, I don't know, through my feet or behind me. I didn't move. I would have felt bad if I backed up right up to the net and put it in. It's tough, we all felt bad about it."
Boudreau: "I didn't think it was a very good play, or a very good attempt. He should have went behind the net -- it would have been much easier of a play."

*The Panthers' third goal actually caught two Capitals on its way into the net. First Boyd Gordon and then Morrisonn.

*When asked about Theodore, who allowed four goals on 16 shots (Yes the shot total was 21 but the Panthers' fourth tally came on the 16th shot), Boudreau said he thought the first goal was gettable but that the Caps goaltender wasn't better or any worse than the rest of the team.

"...When a goalie is like the rest of the team he stands out like a sore thumb. But he probably wasn't worse than some of our players, but he's the last line of defense so everybody sees it."

*While he acknowledged the number of defensive breakdowns in the game, Boudreau wasn't prepared to put the blame solely on the young defensemen's shoulders.

"We talk about inexperience at this level but it's the common sense plays that they've been doing since they were 13 years old. It wasn't only the inexperience guys who were making them. I recall quite vividly two guys who have been here for a long time making as many mistakes as those guys."

*With his goal Tomas Fleischmann now has points in eight of his last nine games. He has 13 points (5G, 8A) during that stretch.

*The Capitals now rank second in the league in first-period goals with 29.

*On another note, Hershey's Oskar Osala was named the AHL's rookie of the month for his 10 goals, four assists and plus-14 rating in November.

By Katie Carrera  |  December 2, 2008; 10:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Third Period
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

repost because i want replies..

ergoroc December 2, 2008 9:06 PM

"I guess now that we finally lost at home, the just-created Cap fans will see the importance of winning road games"

You made it home awfully early tonight for being a long standing Caps fan. Did you get a chance to see any of the game? Or are you just going to throw out the same crap every time you post?

ILikeLaich

"Can Bruce wake up and put in Johnny?"

Were you at the game tonight? Because I'm assuming you didn't see the game if you blame any, but one, of the goals on Jose...

Explain to me how any/all of the goals were his fault please.

Alzner IS NOT ready for the show as a top 2 defender. No one, including the first line, came out to play tonight at the first whistle. The defense was beyond atrocious...to include the backchecking of the forwards. BB should make the team watch the entire second period and the first 3/4 of the third period in between making them do suicides for their lack of effort. The entire team sold out Jose tonight.

I'm going to be so bold as to say this was the worst game I've been to at the Verizon Center since the end of Hanlon.

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 2, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

what are we going to do the rest of the season without a healthy Greeny,scratched Semin, and Feds bum ankle? And a overpriced goalie to boot? and an overpriced Russian winger (kozlov) and a got n heart Nylander (he's knows he is on his way out so why give it all -- all attitude)?

Team is in trouble boys and girls.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 2, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

(from previous)
Kim, he called Elisha Cuthbert "sloppy seconds".

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 2, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

"he called Elisha Cuthbert "sloppy seconds""

Maybe I'm just an evil person, but I laughed out loud reading the article on TSN...

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 2, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

i think the avery suspension is way too extreme but since #16 is the scum of the NHL i could really care less. I did laugh my ass off seeing that vid with his comment, it was funny.

anyways Caps hockey. Jose cannot be blamed. we need our top players back, plain and simple. i don;t think it's be so dissappointing for Caps fans if we had those healthy players, I dont think we'd be looking so flat. we obviosuly have a lot of inexperienced players and it shows. we just have to hold on and hope we can pull of more wins until some of our leading players come back.

Posted by: capsfan387 | December 2, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing is, Yosh, its the truth. Actually, I think she's sloppy thirds by now. And then you've got Kings' Stoll married to another one of his exes. Indefinitely for speaking the truth, yet the NFL suspends Burress 4 games for shooting himself with an illegal gun and a bunch of Vikings 6 games for taking diet pills. Sheesh. Is this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 2, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town: If you give me your tickets, I promise I'll give them back when GMGM is gone.

Posted by: uncatim | December 2, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I thought the guys on versus did a good job of explaining the avery suspension.. it was mainly to prevent another bertuzzi incident where Calgary players might have tried to intentionally hurt avery.. Whatever, i thought it was pretty funny but prolly something he shouldnt have said on camera..

anywho... the caps are still 3 pts ahead in the SE.. cheers to that..

Posted by: sexypills03 | December 2, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad he's not going into acting. That delivery was awful.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 2, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

That being said if you get picked for the tricycle race, avoid the blue one like the plague. The front tire is pretty deflated and you get no traction!

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 2, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

and yes, that was the worst game I've seen since the Caps lost that stinker to the Thrashers back in February.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 3, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

So, in regards to VS having exclusive rights to games on Tuesday nights between certain times....

Ive posted before that I live in So. Delaware in the Comcast Philly Mkt. But consider myself more of an Easter Shore of Md. person.

Tues Dec 15th Flyers/Avs is on CSN @ 7p while there is anther game on VS..I believe its the Caps

So what about that exclusivity??

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | December 3, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

@ Yoshi
I agree with Ilikelaich in regards to JT. I was at the game and JT flops too often. A guy winds up for his shot and Jose immediately drops to his knees before he even knows where the shot is going. Yes, he's a butterfly goalie but he is too short. The Caps have him listed at 5'11". I say he's maybe 5'9". When he drops and flops around on the ice his height is now 36" from knees to top of shoulders. He gets easily beat in the top shelve. He needs to stand tall and get a little further away from the net and look bigger. I think the word is out on him - shot top shelve. Also, why isn't his stick on the ice covering his 5 hole on Steckel's dumb ass pass/goal.

The D looked like AHLers (which they are). This includes Juice and Mo (why does he look worst than last year?????). Alzner showed his lack of experience and why he needs more time with Hershey. His quotes tonight backs that up.

1st line is the only guys that showed up tonight.

@sombrero Dude, you need to lean forwards on the bike and get your body weight over the front tire to get traction. Also, work on that throw of yours ;-)

I guess our Christmas wishes are that Semin, Green, Federov, Poti, Erskine (yes, Erskine) get back on the ice "healthy" by the 25th. Also, the Clark comes back and finds his touch he had a couple of years ago!

Posted by: puckman | December 3, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the dbl post, but could it be that the Caps have not done what they need to do on the broadcasting end to assure that each game is on TV properly?

Its not that far fetched..isnt this the 1st time in a long time that the Blackhawks are actually broadcasting all their home games?

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | December 3, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl
A correction in your statement regarding Plaxico Burress, the "Giants" suspended him "not" the NFL.

The NFL has not ruled yet and probably won't do so until March when he goes to trial. Similar to what happen with Michael Vick.

Posted by: puckman | December 3, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy

"As I was spinning out repeatedly in the second intermission tricycle race, I took note of the ice and can confirm that is indeed pretty crappy."

I got stuck doing in a giant puck suit a couple of years ago. In hindsight I definitely woulda rathered the trike with a flat tire....there is nothing more embarrassing then falling in one of those suits and needing help to get up.

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 3, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

One other quick thing...not related to tonight's debacle. I am going up to Philly for the 20 December game and wanted to let anyone/everyone know that they are offering $35 tickets as part of an all you can eat package for this game. What better time to go to Philly and taunt the fans that always make their way down here.

Fans purchasing the All You Can Eat Package have unlimited access to:
Hot Dogs
Popcorn
Nachos w/ CHEESE and Salsa
Ice Cream Cups

/definitely up there with $1 dog night.

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 3, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

yeah who was that guy pedaling non-stop, not going anywhere during the intermission. man he was HORRIBLE.

haha. it would have been funny if you jumped off and drop kicked both those guys and ran into the net with the ball.

Posted by: MNMNT | December 3, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Avery. Athletes in other sports say and do dumb stuff too, but this guy just can't stop. He has no filter. Sounds like most of the Dallas locker room doesn't like him. Well done, Brett, you dummy. Hull recognizes his offensive ability but not his ability to negatively affect the team, league, or sport. Brodeur should have beat him down. Has anyone beat him down yet? How is it that no one has beat him hard enough to shut him up. It would be funny if it was a teammate.

Posted by: oo7 | December 3, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm way behind - can someone please summarize today's blog posts in five sentences or less? ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | December 3, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

I've already chipped in on the Avery thing... in fact, I seem to have alerted Katie to it with my post in a thread previous to the one she made about it, but...

Let me say it again. Avery is good for the NHL. For a sport that's struggling for attention (unfortunate truth) any publicity is good publicity. Had the NHL not suspended him guess which game I would have been watching last night on my NHL Center Ice package.

This is the same as Semin's comments which generated an incredible amount of publicity and internet chatter for the NHL, not to mention that everyone is now dying to watch the next Caps - Pens game.

The grandpas need to get a clue. This stuff sells like hot cakes. Avery is not stupid at all. He knows exactly what he's doing. He's a 15-goal a year guy who has the whole hockey world (and even the sports world) talking about him. Must be doing something right, eh?

Posted by: ranndino | December 3, 2008 5:28 AM | Report abuse

I do agree with Capsgirl on the delivery. It looked like he's been practicing that stunt all day in front of the mirror. That was some very bad acting... which made the whole thing even funnier to me.

I also laughed my ass off at how he put his hands in the pockets of his fashion jacket and strolled out of the locker room with a look of a rooster who has just successfully woken up the whole village.

Posted by: ranndino | December 3, 2008 5:32 AM | Report abuse

I should probably say something about the game. I can't really comment much on something I haven't seen (thanks Versus), but it sounds like I may not have missed much.

One thing I will say about Theo though. People can make excuses and say that he wasn't at fault every time he lets in 4-5 goals, but the fact of the matter is that he's about as far away from being an elite goalie these days as I am from becoming president of Uganda.

Just because the guy makes an occasional spectacular save doesn't make him good. When you say that he can't be blamed on a lot of the goals because they were rebounds from point blank range or good shots to top corners over his shoulder you have to compare that to the elite goalies who rarely leave rebounds in front or get beat over the shoulder. When I watch an elite goalie I pretty much assume that he'll stop almost any shot and get beat only when he's drawn out of position by great passing, can't see the shot because of a screen or on a deflection. When I watch Theo I jump every time there's any shot on goal, even when there's no one between him and the puck and is square to the shooter. That's not good.

Puckman above made a great point. Watch just how early he goes down. Everyone and their mom knows about it now. Everyone watches video these days. That's why he gets beat upstairs all the time. And I don't see that getting any better. He's been terribly inconsistent going from downright bad to decent. The problem is that in just about every game he gets outplayed by the opposing goalie and the team has to overcome this deficiency. He's our Achilles heel while for many teams goaltending is their best asset.

Posted by: ranndino | December 3, 2008 5:45 AM | Report abuse

for those who think i dont watch the caps, i see every game. for the past 30 years. this particular team has no goaltending or defense, and no leadership from their captain. How many games have the caps started playing with 5 minutes left? you "Cap Fans" who think that the goals that were scored after the game was over, and yes Cap fans, the game was over at 4-1. We come storming back. BORING. It's comparable to scoring a late touchdown and only losing 21-7 instead of 21-0. I guess I am the only one who looks at the record, everybody else on the the stat-wagon. Theodore stinks. HE FLOPS OUT OF CONTROL. lEAVES REBOUNDS ALL OVER THE CREASE. i GUESS YOU ALL DONT SEE THE URGENCY HERE. I'll say it again, if it does not improve very shortly, there will be no playoffs. P.S. How many of you "longtime cap fans" were at the 3 ot loss to the islanders in the playoffs. How many of you participated in Save the Caps? So do not complain when I speak the truth. and the truth is JOSE THEO-WEAK is not bringing a stanley cup to DC. No way can we beat Pittsburg at this point, let alone Detroit or San Jose. We can't even get by Florida at home. Please save the injury cries for the bar afterward.

Posted by: ergoroc | December 3, 2008 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Boo!,
5 sentences to bring you up to speed:

1) Much debate about Jose (again) but with 2 goals going in off Caps it sounds like they got the bounces but like we lacked effort.

2) SA Town is off to Iceland after meeting Cheef.

3) Sean Avery made some funny comment about Phaneuf's lady, goes to box, feels shame.

4) Semin is faking his injury in order to save himself for the playoffs, well according to some idiot he is.

5) The sky is falling and anyone from Versus, Semin, Jose, the Pope, Tarik, Jurcina, Nyls, JSchon, Larry David, the Kray twins, Madonna, GMGM and Sarah Palin is to blame (Ok so I maybe added a few names there).

Seriously though, 2:04am! Get some sleep woman!!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 3, 2008 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Sombreroguy: You definitely got a bad trike. What's the lemon law in DC? Plus even though you were getting pushed along to stay in the race you kept getting pushed by dudes. The guy who won actually had a redrocker push him off the ice as he propped his legs up on the handlebars. Some guys have all the luck.

ergoroc: I agree, last night's game was over at 4-1. I too am tired of the late goals that give us hope and then ultimately come up short. They were at least going to OT earlier in the season but the last two (Minnesota and last night) haven't panned out. However, although Jose has had basically one solid game for us from start to finish (Montreal win) I can't blame him for last night's loss. Everyone knows the 2nd goal of the game for Florida went from Steckel's stick to Alzner's skate to the back of the net. Goal 3 was a shot from the point that was going waaaaaay wide but bounced off of Morrison who was fighting for body position on a guy crashing the net. The other two were the typical high shot that beats Theo that he needs to correct. The Islanders vs Caps game ended in the 4th OT, not the 3rd.

Someone mentioned this was the worst game since Hanlon's last game as coach. I was there that day chanting "Fire Hanlon" and I have to agree, last night's game was just as bad. The difference is I believe we had the entire squad except perhaps Semin who was nursing an ankle injury. The Caps played so bad that Radek Dvorak looked like a superstar for Florida. He's maybe a 3rd line guy on our team when healthy. Brash had one good hit, Bradley had zero. Those guys are paid to bang bodies. Bradley needs to stop pretending he's a 2nd line guy and get back to what he knows. Grind it out hockey. OV was the only one consistently throwing his body and flying down the ice. He too had an off game but the guy has been carrying the team for a while now he was bound to have a rough patch again.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 3, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

@puckman - haha man i WAS leaning forward, and still kept spinning. As for the throw...i definitely was more worried about aiming figuing as long as i got the first throw off, it would bounce or roll into the net. Sadly the ball was even more deflated than my tire hit the ice and just stopped in the crease.

@Yoshietree - Man give me the human puck race any day. I trust my pwn feet more than a tricycle. Ah the only thing I lost was my pride. The prize package was pretty weak.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 3, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy,
The prize package may have been weak, but the exposure is what counts. Just look at what it has done for some of the American Idol runnerups.

Your payday is coming. :)

Posted by: _Mark | December 3, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I have to disagree. I think this was the worst home game I have seen since the early February Atlanta shutout.

@ergoroc - I was only 5 and a half years old for the Easter Epic game. I was a few months short of my first birthday during the save the caps campaign. Am I still allowed to be a Caps fan, or should I turn in my season tickets and hire the doctor from eternal sunshine of the spotless mind to wipe the hundreds (thousand +???) games I have watched over the past 20 or so years?

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 3, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

rdy4all2000,

Not every game Vs shows is an "exclusive" game. The Minnesota/Colorado game on Monday was not. We could've watched the Caps if they played on Monday. Starting Dec. 14, the exclusive games move to Monday nights. So that game Vs is showing on the 15th is not an exclusive game, and therefore other games can be shown at the same time.

How and why does Vs determine some days/games exclusive and not others? You got me.

Posted by: kenjabi | December 3, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Correction:

Dec. 15 is a Monday and there's a Vs exclusive game that day. Dec. 16 is the day rdy4all200 questions in which Philly plays on CSN during a Caps game on Vs.

Posted by: kenjabi | December 3, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy - GODS, I wish I'd been there to see that!!! But no, I *had* to miss the game. Stupid disaster recovery simulation... :-p

Otherwise - if the ice is as bad as SombreroGuy says it was, I'm not surprised the puck took some bad hops. It *does* that when the ice sucks. If you take away the two goals we scored for the Panthers, we'd've won that game, even as sloppy as it reportedly was.

I stopped listening when we were down 4-1, because I hadn't had dinner yet and was starting to get surly. I'd been at work for about 14 hours at that point, so I really cannot speak to the game other than by rumor. Since I didn't see the lack of energy, I can't speak to it legitimately, so (unlike others), I won't do so.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Yah, Dec. 15 Colorado @ Detroit is the Vs. exclusive game. Oddly enough, the NHL schedule has only one other game that day, Sharks @ LA @ 10:30. That's the way an exclusive broadcast night should be.

Posted by: koalatek | December 3, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Not only does Theodore flop early, but he STAYS ON THE ICE! He doesn't get back up. It's frustrating how often I find myself screaming "GET BACK UP" at the tv screen (since I can't always get to a real game).

The caps play lately has been bad. The game against columbus, I thought was bad..this game certainly sounds like it was worse. I know we have injuries, but those excuses only carry you so far. People have to step up and play 60 minutes of hockey. Yes, I know you get gassed but you still have to try. Sometimes it's felt like they haven't been trying hard enough or in some cases trying too hard to be too cutesy.

I relish the nights they play with gusto...and loathe the nights they play like this.

Posted by: lloydrj727 | December 3, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

It is possible that Versus and the NHL try and make the exclusive game the only game, so that none are missed, but maybe the Caps can't comply for the same reason the ice is so lousy - because they share the barn with the drizzards.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 3, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Having been at the game last night, I would agree with many that this was one of the worst games since the Hanlon era. But I think it is also a product of the injuries catching up AS WELL AS the goaltending of Theo not being particularly good. You can't put it solely on the injuries or goaltending - it is both. In the current state, this team is like a throwback to 2005-06 - hard working (although not last night) but not going to win a whole lot of games.

FORWARDS
Not much to say, not a particularly bad group of forwards right now, but we need Semin & Fedorov back to increase depth. We can't win a lot of games with Graham Mink in the lineup... sorry. Also, I love his patience and passing, but Nylander is starting to frustrate me a lot with his turnovers.
DEFENSE
Jurcina is getting worse, not better. Hate to continually rag on a guy, but he is terrible at positioning, he makes bad passes, and has no body control when going in for a hit - usually with one hand on the stick and flailing. Alzner will be good but is still green (not Green) and shows it from time to time. Morrisson is baffling to me sometimes and I just don't know how to assess him. Helmer has been a pleasant surprise actually...
GOAL
Johnson has overall been better than Theo and gives the team the best chance to win simply because he is fundamentally more sound and is just a better athlete in goal. Yes he will let in a weak one every other game, but Theo is very shaky and you get the feeling that the next shot is always going in - we need the opposite.

One last thing: for those of you who went to the game last night, did anyone really watch Jay Bouwmeester of Florida? He will be a UFA after this season and they may trade him to get something for him this season. THE CAPS NEED TO GET HIM - he skates as well as Mike Green and moves the puck great. He can skate with any forward in the NHL and is the type of mobile, puck moving defenseman we need. We have the organizational depth to give up a few prospects, and he is not an old guy (mid-late 20's). Just my opinion...

See you all Thurday...

Posted by: Roose | December 3, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

lloydrj727: To be fair, I can't remember any goalie I am rooting for that I don't yell "GET BACK UP" at very frantically. I guess my mouth is quicker than goalie legs.

Posted by: uncatim | December 3, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

@ergoroc

Yes, I was at that game. I gave up tickets to see Billy Idol (I know, he was cool back then) that same night at the Patriot Center to show up in all white for the white out. I have lived through everything with this team since 1974. Including the losses to Pittsburgh but I was alos at the game 7 OT winner by Hunter against the Flyers.

But still, does that make us experts? No.

Can we have better goaltending? Yes, but more than half the teams can say that too. What do you propose we do about it? Who is out there for us to sign or trade for while staying under our cap? Khabibulin is not the answer either or he would be getting more love from Chicago. Detroit won it last year with Osgood. We can do the same with JT if the team plays to its strengths for a full game.

I am not going to let one bad game spoil what I think of this team. They do need to learn to play 60 minutes instead of 10 minutes. When they do, then this team is unbeatable. Look what this exact same team did against Montreal a few nights ago.

I am sure this game will be used as a springboard. I feel badly for the Isles on Thursday.

Did people really expect for us to dominate with the players we have out with injuries?

Nope, stay the course, try to go .500 until they come back and then appreciate the fact that the rest and pent up energy will show a big resurgence for the rest of the year.

I am looking forward to it.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 3, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@ Roose

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 3, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@ Roose

Sorry, my computer did something weird.

I like the guy, but do you really think FLA will trade him to someone in the division? Probably not. We will have to wait until he is a UFA and bid for him.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 3, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan

Well said. We should step back and look at the fact that we are still in 1st place (as opposed to last year). If we just do what you say and go .500 for now in this short time, we have a lot of hockey left to blow everyone away. I guess this is the kind of talk that happens when expectations are set pretty high...

Posted by: Roose | December 3, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan

Must have been some simultaneous typing going on there. I don't think Florida would want to trade him within the division, but at the same time they can't walk away from a great deal just over that. If the Caps make them "an offer they can't refuse" then they have to do it or risk losing him for nothing. At the same time, he could do a Huet and be a rental player for another team and come here in the offseason as a signing (although we would need to shed some dollars to make it fit for what he would want). Either way, he would fit tremendously well here.

Posted by: Roose | December 3, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

@ uncatim
That's true, but he's down there an unusually LONG time it seems. And he does just kind of flop around. but i'll admit he does have some good saves sometimes...but not enough to consider him an "elite" goalie or even a #1 goalie

Posted by: lloydrj727 | December 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Bouwmeester has a cap figure of $4.875 for this season. First, if you trade for him, you better sign him long term. Second, it has to fit in the cap. Logically, the Caps would want to move Poti and his $3.5M to make it fit and maybe FLA would take Poti. Second, they'd want young talent, so you might need to move Flash in the deal. Finally, to make the cap work, you'd have to include Morrisonn. Poti + Flash + Morrisonn = $6.2M out; Bouwmeester + Lepisto + Mink? added back is about the same. The truth is it's hard to get him and fit him in this year's cap (since whoever we trade has to be replaced with call-ups). In a perfect world, I'd trade Nylander, Jurcina and a #1 and #2 draft pick (or prospects from Hershey) and then replace Nylander with Osala on the roster. The cap exchange works. Would FLA take that? I doubt it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 3, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I would agree that would be a tough sell for now, but Nylander is also a problem because he has a no trade clause and most likely would not waive it to go to Florida (great beaches but not a great hockey market right now). Your points are good about the cap, but I guess if you want him bad enough you find a way to make it work. I guess if I look at our prospects, we don't have a puck moving defenseman who is realistically within 2 years of coming up yet. Carlson and Godfrey are more that type, but they would have to make leaps to be here before 2010-11... Guess we'll wait and see - this is why the trade deadline and the summer free agent market are fun to watch.

Posted by: Roose | December 3, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

There were at least 2000 empty seats there last night, so anyone who wanted to see there game in the DC area could have last night.

As for the effort... ugh. The forwards took half the game off (from the start of the second period until halfway through the third). The defense played ok, but there were some lapses. It wasn't all bad, they held the opponent to 22 shots on goal (which is good) but the 4th goal where they let Dvorak walk in was inexcusable. The first goal was a bit of a mistake by Alzner, but at the same time, Peltonen made a good shot, and it wasn't one that most goalies would have gotten. The other two Panther goals were flukes. Unfortunately they count, and instead of the Caps getting some bounces and winning 3-2, they end up losing 5-3 (the empty netter was also a misplay...but it was into an empty net...)

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | December 3, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

We can not afford Bouwmeester, not at $5M+, which is what he will get in the open market. And unless Jacques Martin is completely off his rocker, he aint gonna be traded to us.

Now...
Is the goaltending suspect? Yes

Is the defense playing great/good? No

Do we have key players injured? Yes

Did we re-signed Erskine for 3 more years? OMG WTF

Was our record 10-4-2, before we lost Semin and Green to injury? Yes

Did we achieve this record with OV going through his longest scoring slump in his career? YES

Did we really re-sign Erskine for 3 more years? ROTL LMAO LOL AKA PABLO RSVP TTYL ALF

Are we able to play our type of hockey without our injured guys? Kinda, not really so much.

Where these the goalies in last years conference finals, Biron, Osgood, Fleury and Turco? Yes

Did any of them come close to winning the Vezina Trophy last year? No, unless you think 11th place is close (Osgood)

The way we play hockey is going to put pressure on our goalie and especially when we dont have all of our players. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not apologizing for Theodore, all I'm saying is that its not really fair to kill the guy when we are playing at 3/4 of our potential.

Our goaltenders arent going to have .920 sv % or a team 2.60GAA, it just aint going to happen, but we dont need that to win in the regular season or the playoffs.

What we need is more cowbell and a solid dose of healthy...

Posted by: JSchon | December 3, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Well, I guess the wheels are falling off the bandwagon now we lost out FIRST home game. I am not using injuries as an excuse, but having all these injuries to these top players will have it's toll. Nothing we can do about it, but play the games, and wait for a full line-up.

Last check....we are still in first place, playing so so hockey.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 3, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@ergoroc

Yes, he stinks. But JOSE THEO-WEAK? That's weak.

It's Jose "Three-or-More"