Caps get a regulation-size blowout

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

Game 3: Washington 5, Montreal 1
The Capitals score four goals in the second period and dominate the faceoff circle en route to a blowout of the Canadiens. | Story »

*Tracee Hamilton: Ahh, the silence of Habs fans. (Tracee is chatting live from Montreal at 9:30 a.m. Submit questions here.)

*Interactive shot chart »

*Photo gallery: Scenes from Game 3 at Bell Centre

*Bog: Chimera plays nice | Habs say loss is "no big deal" | Ovechkin and Backstrom seal it with a kiss?

More -- much more -- after the jump:

*Watch Ovie's goal again:

*Blogger reax: Ed Frankovic, Homer McFanboy, Peerless, Loose Pucks, Japers' Rink, Hockey Mom, FFODC, RMNB, Rock the Red, CapsBlog, Storming the Crease, Hockey Chronicles, Alex Ovetjkin.

*RMNB: Booing the Star-Spangled Banner? Not cool.

*Posted Sports: Capitals use Canadiens' 'crazy' crowd to their advantage.

The other side: Montreal Gazette
*Caps use Habs for target practice.
*Inside the Habs' dressing room: Great first period. The rest? Not so much.
*Habs Inside Out: Postgame wrap-up

Last night's other games
*Bruins 2, Sabres 1 (Boston leads series, 2-1)
*Kings 5, Canucks 3 (Los Angeles leads series, 2-1)

Practice is at 11:30 a.m. More to come then.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 20, 2010; 5:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps take series lead in Montreal
Next: Morrisonn, Corvo not practicing

Comments

One word: VARLY!!!!!!!!!

He was a beast last night.

Canadiens.. booing the Star Spangled Banner. Real classy.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I posted a few months back and I will post again:

Over the next ten years, Eric Fehr will outscore Tomas Fleischmann.

You heard it here first, just like Caps over Bruins in 5 games in Round 2.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 20, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Canada is the second greatest country in the world. I would hope those in attendance Friday (as you are waiting for game to finsh so the Boston series can begin) would actually sing along with the Canadian anthem. Here are words, you can print them out:

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 20, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tom,
They actually have been putting the words for both anthems up on the ring at the bottom of the club level for those that want to sing along. The Canadian anthem has been received well and cheered by the fans at Verizon.

Posted by: _Mark | April 20, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Eric Fehr would be the Penguins best wingah...

Posted by: JSchon | April 20, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: Nice to see you again. I would not be surprised at all if Caps keep one or other between Semin and Flash so they can go after your Ottawa defenseman.

Fehr will be #1 RW for a long time for Ovie and Backstrom.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 20, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Fehr had 9:20TOI
Flash 15:05TOI (not exactly sure the seconds)

One guy had 1G 1A, no penalties and had the shift of the night, the other... nothing but a 2 minute stick penalty.

Tom are you still in FL?

Posted by: JSchon | April 20, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I cannot believe that fans are going to complain about the effort. The entire defensive group had a strong game, including Green and Schultz. They will always have the bar higher than any other pair. Green gets criticized for thinking offense first and plays a solid defensive game and fans want to complain about his production. He can't win with some of you. The Caps played a PERFECT 3rd period. Dealt with a some bogus penalty calls and still outshot Montreal 15-9. Not sure what some of you want. This was the biggest blowout of the playoffs thus far. The only other games to be decided by more than 2 goals was when Detroit won 7-4 and the last goal was an empty-netter.

Montreal will come back even harder next game. The Caps may even need OT to get the next game. Varly will be under more pressure than he was today for the 1st 10 minutes. If the boys can survive that with as few as 1 goal against they should be set. The sooner they can the crowd out of the game the better. Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 20, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, game 1 of the Chicago/Nashville game was 4-1 Nashville, but there were 2 empty-netters. It was 2-1 with just over a minute left.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 20, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Lots of very good teams have struggled in the first round and then started to roll in subsequent rounds.

Think Carolina in 05-06, Detroit in 2002, Calgary in 1989, Edmonton (lots of years.

Getting adjusted and in rhythm with a target on your back is hard.

The Caps will score PP goals again...and when they break the drought it will probably mean a few games will be totally decided by it.

Consider this:

The Caps are trying to break out on the PP and Montreal is trying to hem them in so they don't break out.

Once the confidence that one goal will create returns then Montreal must switch gears to put the fire out on the PP - not just keep frustrating it.

Actually I like for future opponents that all they see is someone blanketing our PP while its struggling and leave them to figure out how to extinguish it when it gets going.

One other note - only 9 GA over 3 games? Is Pittsburgh doing as well? It is all more manageable than we know...a tweak there, an extra effort over here...less missed assignments and now the game gels.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | April 20, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Montreal mistakes from the crowd ----

#1) Taunting Theo is warm ups when he isnt playing...that really got Varly off his game
#2 Booing the National Anthem....Dont taunt the Red..you will get burned
#3 Ole Ole Ole - what were you celebrating?
#4 Ovie sucks chants - They must not of meant top shelf scorchers
#5 Booing Gianta's obvious crosscheck call right in front of the ref..(delusion set in)
#6 Leaving with 5 minutes left...(mass exodus)

Ready for game 4 are we?

Posted by: SA-Town | April 20, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

The PP will come. I was one of those rooting for Theo to get the start, but fortunately BB is smarter. Nice job Varly.

How about a contrast in 2nd periods between games 2 & 3?

Posted by: Justafan | April 20, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

In games 1 & 2 we were very respectful of the Canadian anthem. Many sang along and everyone cheered. I have no doubt we'll do the right thing on Friday night. Could be a great start to a momentous night.

Posted by: Justafan | April 20, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I do not want to hex the Caps chances of advancing but I would like to use an example. A lot of posters are all over Semin right now. Yeah, he hasn't scored, but he will. How many of you remember the bashing Malkin was taking at the beginning of the playoffs last year, and how many were singing Crosby's name. Who ended up earning the Conn Smythe?

Remember the road to the Stanley Cup isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. This team's success has not been due to simply having talented players like Ovi, Backs, Semin and Green. This team's success has been because of the ENTIRE team. Last night was a perfect example. The goals scorers that put this one away were Gordon, Laich, and Fehr. That is our strenght, our depth. Ovi had a great shot, and Bradley's hard work earned him a goal at the end. Some nights this team needs our 1st line to shine and pull out a memorable win like Saturday night. The good thing is, our superstars get to just be cheerleaders with this team on some nights and still win games. Great game Caps!

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 20, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Well, I just logged on to eat my words. I said I would have started Theo, and while I'm not sure how that would have turned out, I was impressed by Varlamov's performance and kudos to him on helping get the W.

It would be nice to close out Montreal in 5.

Posted by: Jaymagz | April 20, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Very interesting to read the comments to the Habs Inside Out link above. To hear the fans the game was lost due to the refs and to Hamrlik, who they're looking to "dump.". Also, apparently there's a conspiracy against Montreal by the NHL leading to blatant calls for the other team(where have I heard that?).

Otherwise fans are very heartened by the strong play exhibited in the 1st, which some called their best period this year, and they expect to come back to DC tied. At least one fan abserved that they outplayed the Caps all game last night, except for some cheap goals.

I'd venture our boards would look a bit different had the outcome been reversed.

Posted by: Justafan | April 20, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I loved the choke hold we put on them the last period....from all the negative comments the last couple days I could have sworn we didnt have a team that was able to achieve that.

All these goals and the power play is struggling.

At this point you almost have to start Varly in the next game, but I would come back with Theo the next home game. (Barring a shut-out from Varly in Montreal)

I think we will see Price getting the nod the next game for the Habs.

Are the Habs fans blamming this last game on the refs like game 2??

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 20, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

@Tominfl

I don't know if you noticed, but Montreal media is now calling Fehr "Canadien-Killer" and "nemesis." It's kinda nice that they have to worry about Fehr, I hope Backs and Ovi agree.

Posted by: dwelkinor | April 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I hope some people took notice of Semin in the 1st period. He performed wonderfully on the back checks and broke up 2 or 3 potential good scoring chances. He was skating back incredibly hard and was the first forward back on many occassions.

Yes, he hasn't scored yet, but he is getting shots on goal. With his shot, one of those will go in soon.

My only worry is complacency. In the past the Caps have tended to let down when things were going well. It seems as though this team has learned from that and hopefully they will come out hard in game 4 to attempt to put the Habs away. But lets not count our chickens before they hatch. The Caps are only up 2 to 1. But I do have great confidence.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 20, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Here is a question for the Board...what was Knuble doing out killing penalties when Gordo got the shortie? He never kills them.

Posted by: RichC3 | April 20, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

(This is NOT a criticism of Carlson but is a criticism of some of the posters here)

The Habs only goal was scored on a rebound. Carlson made a mistake by not getting a body on Plekanec after his first shot. If that goal was scored with either Corvo or Green on the ice many people on here would be posting how that player should be benched for a crease mover like Erskine.

Now I haven't read all the postings from last night but I can't believe (sarcasm) that no one is criticizing Carlson when they would be having a hissy fit if Corvo or Green performed the same play.

Again, this isn't a criticism of Carlson. It was one mistake in an otherwise solid game. I'm a big fan of his.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 20, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Best team effort I've seen since the streak. Varly was outstanding and Boyd Gordon played like a guy who wants to stay in the line up. Nothing surprising about Eric Fehr, except his ice time. I hope BB sticks with these lines and starts focusing on the PP. Moving Ovi off the point was a good start.

I was disappointed in the Habs. For an team that took the #1 seed to OT twice, I was shocked at their quick descent into stupidity. Getting chippy with Flash and B.Mo? Ridiculous! The Caps had the least amount of fighting majors, did they really expect to goad someone into a fight with a 3 goal lead?

Posted by: ablake70 | April 20, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

RichC3: Knuble has been on the PK all year.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 20, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Home team wins big & a few nut jobs see the tree from the forest.

Tells me a lot about their lives...

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 20, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

even if Varly loses a game which I'm sure he will in these playoffs, as long as he plays well BB will keep him in there.

Posted by: joek443 | April 20, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

Good point.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 20, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I really don't like seeing people post matchups for round 2 or that we will close them out in 5. If anything, you're blatantly inviting the hockey gods to put you in your place (if you believe in such things).

Can we just leave it at we had a great game and lets hope they bring the same intensity tomorrow instead of making hotel reservations in Beantown? There is still alot of hockey to be played to put away the Habs and they will come out desperate tomorrow.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 20, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

don't think of a minute BB will switch back to Theo unless Varly has a real stinker like Theo did on Saturday night.....
Posted by: joek443 | April 20, 2010 9:34 AM

I don't agree. I think he is serious about using both. Even if Theo hadn't been pulled I think Varly gets a shot in Montreal. Like the comment about seeing the trees for the Forest comment, BB has put his plans out there. He has repeatedly said they NEEDED both to win. As much as people complain about him, he is adapting. He knows (and said so in a press conf) we don't have a goalie that does 75 starts in a year. Why would he make one try that now? So I think Theo gets more starts. Probably even preference because of his late season performance. Split 2.5 - 1 in starts.

Posted by: jdhoover | April 20, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Much improved effort. Habs were strong in the first but that is to be expected in their home building. Varly did a good job breaking their spirit by coming up with good saves during the first. Secondary scoring ruled the night. Only bad thing is the PP is still awful. Boudreau was joking about it after the game, "Yeah, we suck," he joked. "It's the worst stretch we've gone through, but it happens like that. Once you start getting frustrated and frustrated — I thought we had some good looks and chances, but none went in and then you get frustrated. But it is what it is and I'm sure eventually we'll get a goal on it. Maybe not this series, but eventually. Next year maybe."

Posted by: jdove80 | April 20, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I will add that, obviously, if one completely falls apart then he goes with the other. But I don't think Theo's performance in game 2 would have resulted in a pull at that point if it had been in the regular season. So, in my opinion, he hasn't already fallen apart.

Posted by: jdhoover | April 20, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I was very impressed by the smart play Chimera showed out there. He's been striking that perfect balance of gritty and tough when it helps his team and smart about backing down when it's not going to help his team. Great addition to the team not just for what he brings when on the ice but for what he models to our still very young team.

Schultz had a great game as well and Greenie was at least very good. Semin still doesn't have a point but he had some decent chances and I think was more of a presence on the ice. Fun to see things starting to come together for the Caps.

Posted by: psujohn | April 20, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

@ joek443

I think the plan was to go with Varly all along. BB said before the game 3 that he went with Varly because he gave the team the best chance to win. Doesn't sound like a guy that had a whole lot of faith in Theo.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 20, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't sound like a guy that had a whole lot of faith in Theo.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 20, 201

Not sure if "faith" is the right word. I liken it more to the way Baseball play the stats of Righty vs lefty. Varly had better stats. I think the peripheral parts (history, crowd) contributed, but I like the way BB looked at it.

Posted by: jdhoover | April 20, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Some of the AmeriCAN'Ts don't pull any punches with their cautionism.

If we're up 2-1, what some of these same posters entering thought would be a 4-1 Caps series - what's the problem?

Esp. when entering last night's game:

1) Caps had the best road record.
2) Habs - the worse home record of all 8 teams in the east.
3) Caps have a 100+ goal differential on Les Habitants.

If you are going to rant against the Caps, @ least have more than just 'gut' feeling or annecdotal stuff.
As a team, the the Data doesn't lie - AmeriCAN'Ts do.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 20, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Montreal mistakes from the crowd ----

#2 Booing the National Anthem....Dont taunt the Red..you will get burned
#3 Ole Ole Ole - what were you celebrating?
#4 Ovie sucks chants - They must not of meant top shelf scorchers
#6 Leaving with 5 minutes left...(mass exodus)

Ready for game 4 are we?

Posted by: SA-Town | April 20, 2010 8:26 AM

@SA-Town: good post! LMAO

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 20, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdhoover | April 20, 2010 9:53 AM |

Yep. It's not as easy as pulling a football QB as some would liken it too.
Based on stats, nothing would make me think a back switch to Theo wouldn't happen.
BB is fast becoming Phil Jackson in some ways.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 20, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl: welcome back tominfl1! with you 100% your first post:

Postgame thoughts:

--The Habs' fan base showed an ugly side of Canada that--before the Olympics--I had not known existed. This, by actually booing the US National Anthem. Those who have read my previous posts on the subject may know: While I sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" proudly, I also believe that "O Canada" serves that purpose better--if only by virtue of the fact that it was written as such from the beginning, rather than being a British drinking song with new lyrics.

That said, It was a no-class move on the part of the Bell Centre crowd and a disgrace to what is arguably the NHL's most storied franchise.

I propose that, when the series returns to Washington, we show OUR class by standing respectfully when "O Canada" is sung, either remaining silent or--if we know the words--singing along. THAT'LL show 'em!!.

--I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Habs are the NHL equivalent of the New York Yankees. I loved how the Caps silenced the building, then got the crowd to actually turn against "Les Glorieux"

--It was only a matter of time before the greater mass of the Caps' lines began to tell on the smaller Habs.

--This game (IMO) did perhaps more than any other (in the series so far) to prove the old adage: "Go to the net and good things will happen".

--I am pleased that Varly did so well. That said, I hope Theo gets another chance to shine. I know he has it in him.

--Also proved last night: Ovechkin's Law ("To solve any hockey problem, score more goals") is a universal constant.

Well done, gentlemen. Now rest up and put another nail in their coffins tomorrow night!

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 20, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"When everyone plays like that -- they don't have much out there. Really, they don't."

Capitals defenseman Mike Green told Washington-based reporter Corey Masisak.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 20, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I love being a "next day series". I love that Pens, Det, NJ and SJ all have to play their game 4 a day before our game 4.

Those teams will all have mixed results - effort and opposition response, but I think watching them go through it first makes the Caps more ready for what can happen.

If Ottawa or Detroit come out and put the boots to Pit and Phx quickly it will mentally prepare the Caps for what might happen in their game 4.

If Crosby goes out and leads his team it probably inspires OV and Backstrom to come with the same intensity.

Just a thought but sure beats last year when we were the very first game.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | April 20, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Funny Quote from the Montreal Gazette,"“You have to gather your chickens,” said Price about coming into goal without any warmup.

AND..don't forget how the Canadian people sheltered hundreds of Americans whose flights were grounded in Canada on 9/11. I hope the CAP fans sing "O Canada" with thanks and show up the Canadian fans.

Posted by: dezlboy1 | April 20, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Capitals defenseman Mike Green told Washington-based reporter Corey Masisak.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 20, 2010 9:59 AM

As I type, Tomas Jagr is climbing on Gionta's back to post this on the bulletin board.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 20, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Be specific - its a few Montreal fans that boo the anthem....they even sometimes boo their own...its a few Quebec Nationalists with anti-American sentiment. (probably wish they lived in France).....Most Canadians are very respectful and this should not be an issue in a hockey game.

(I feel sorry for Habs management and decent Montreal residents that it becomes an issue every so often)

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | April 20, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon: I am back for pack and ship of furniture. Go to new spot for good end of next week.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 20, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33

Whoever doesn't believe in the Hockey Gods, please refer Dan Boyle's recent game-winning goal.

Posted by: Brute | April 20, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33

Whoever doesn't believe in the Hockey Gods, please refer to Dan Boyle's recent game-winning goal.

Posted by: Brute | April 20, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post, my work blocks so much it's hard to tell what gets through.

Posted by: Brute | April 20, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@Brute

I agree. It's like hearing Laughlin talk like the game is over with 15 minutes left. All I'm thinking when Laughlin says things like that is "shut up and please don't jinx us."

Yes I realize it doesn't actually have an effect on the game, but still.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 20, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Bear with me a minute here..

I thought I heard a question in BB's post game about Theo sitting on the Bench vs across the rink. Is that the norm in Montreal? They have a place just for the reserve goalie? I know at some arena's they have to sit down in the hallway leading to the bench.

If that's true (that he would normally sit away from the team), then I think it speaks loudly for Theo to want to sit with the team, and provide support. Many might have thought he would have "sulked". But according to Varly, he's been a great help to him.

I like that.

Posted by: jdhoover | April 20, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

The Habs fans are complaining the Caps are "interfering" with Halak and Price. I've only been watching hockey since I was 12 (1984), and I thought the point of playoff hockey was to have an increased net presence, grind out "dirty" goals, and put as much pressure and stress on the goalies as possible. What am I not understanding?

Posted by: EGTuna | April 20, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@Rhino40, we have been very respectful the the Canadian anthem each game, and I'm sure we will continue to sing and cheer at the end, this time with more vigor.

I picked up a single ticket for Game 5 in the STH pre-sale. It may be spoken for, but if any regulars here want to express an interest post an e-mail address. It's not a cheapie -- Sec. 120 Row F

Posted by: Justafan | April 20, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

It cracks me up when Locker starts in with that "jinxing" stuff because he knows he's messing with all of us. Joe B usually tries to shut him up, but he just laughs and keeps going. It's almost comforting when he does it, in an odd way.

The best was when he started in with the "SE champs" back in February. Joe B would keep adamantly saying "No they're not."

Posted by: EricinReston | April 20, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EGTuna | April 20, 2010 10:26 AM

The only thing you're missing is that the Habs fans believe that their team deserves to win no matter what, because they're from Quebec. To be fair, they had a point on one of their complaints - in Game 2, Poti did run into Halak just before that big scramble. Otherwise, a majority of the time that Caps players have made contact with the goalie, it's been due to a push by a defenseman - usually Gill.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 20, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@EricinReston

Raise the banner!

Posted by: Brute | April 20, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I also want to mention how good of a game Boyd Gordon played last night. He was spectacular on faceoffs, performed well on the PK, had the goal that started with his faceoff win, played well at even strength too.

He has been criticized a lot on this board, and most was deserving. But he did have a great game last night.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 20, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

dezlboy1: I will NEVER be disrespectful to any country's national anthem. As a retired Sailor I stood at respectful attention in many ports while moored to a foreign pier. I once thought of Canada as a brother nation. That all changed for me personally when I was in a port visit in Halifax Nova Scotia back in June of 2002. I was at a club at the top of hill and the DJ said to welcome the US Sailors from the ship that was down in the port. Then came a long and loud boo. That club was loaded with 20 to 30 year olds that will potentially be leading Canada, or are by now, which is why our relations have begun to be strained over the US's political views. Canada, just like the England and Austrailia have been our biggest allies. England and Austrailia has remained so.

Sorry to bring politics in here but I could care less if Canada helped out during 911. Their defense budget is low and based on the fact that we will be there for them.

I will still be standing quietly and respectfully during O' Canada because it is simply the right thing to do.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 20, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Boyd Gordon has never lived up to 17th overall in 2002 (although still better than some picked ahead of him).

But he is playing better of late. He could possibly upgrade himself to become a 3rd line player, but that would be the limit I think.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 20, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Thought the goalie interference penalty on Kuuble was bogus as he was being pushed from behind by Gil. That has been a common theme through the three games as well as Gil blocking shots from the circles. Except for the anemic power play, the Caps played an excellent game last night. They didn't allow the Canadians to goad them into fights or dumb penalties, weather the expected early pressure, and took the fans out of the game in the 2nd period.

Caps need to take more shots from the circles on the power play as the Canadians are pressuring both of our point men and blocking a lot of their shots. Backstrom in particular passed up a number of open shots that could have resulted in rebounds for Knuble/Laich/Fehr. PP goals are scored by continual pressure, not setting up a wide open shot. BB needs to work on the power play because 0-15 won't cut it against a good team or even the Canadians in a close game.

Another positive was the move of Belanger to the second line. Not only did he win faceoffs at a high percentage but was able to actually set up Semin and Fleischmann. He's also the team's 2nd best two-way center after Backstrom.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 20, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I think Fleischman has a nice scoring touch, but:

Does anyone else think that in the context of this particular team he doesn't contribute anything unique? He's a good skater, and he does come through when opportunities present them self, but does this guy ever create anything? Does he dig it out of the corners? does he win face offs? does he make those around him better?

Posted by: LesGrossman | April 20, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

fanohock: Sorry about your bad experience, but what do you expect from the place Crosby comes from?

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 20, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I agree with completely.

He played like a top notch 4th or 3rd line center last night and that is his role.

Unlike other drafts, there are a decent amount of first round picks that don't play more than a handful of games in the NHL. So a good 4th line center is not consiered a bad pick for 17th overall (not good either).

Posted by: sgm3 | April 20, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

lets not anoint Gordo after one game. I'm glad he picked up his game yesterday, even though I think Steckel will find his way back into the lineup. Gordo is probably a decent replacment for Steckel against a speedier team. but I think if the Caps advance Steckel will have to be in there.

Anyone know what happened to ShaMo? Was he an injury or healthy scratch in the 3rd ?

btw, that Bost-Buff series is pretty entertaining. Speaking of 1st round picks who take a while to blossom, Johnny Boychuk is having a whale of a series. Originally drafted by the Avs, he was one of the highly touted dman at the time but found himself in the "journeyman" category and was available to any team who wanted him. Now he looks like a solid 2 way pro defenseman. And his confidence is skyhigh. Good pickup by the Bruins who are missing Mark Stuart.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 20, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

he was actually a 2nd rounder I guess, drafted right before Flash

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 20, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

What was encouraging about Gordo's game last night besides the faceoffs was his willingness to go to the net. Esp on Bradley's goal when he bumped the D out of the way. You don't generally see that from #15. He's usually the one getting bounced around. A healthy scratch can be a wonderful thing sometimes.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 20, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@EricinReston and Capsfan75:

I live in Herndon, and noticed from earlier posts that you live near there also.

Is there a sports bar near us (i.e. not downtown or in Arlington) that you could recommend as a place to see an away game? Perhaps the three of us (and any others in Outer Fairfax/Inner Loudoun could get together for a viewing party Wednesday night? Please email me at Rhino401@verizon.net.

Regards,

David (Rhino40)

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 20, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

This thing is hilariously awesome: http://slapstick.capitals.nhl.com/

Posted by: _828 | April 20, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't sing the Canadian anthem but that only reflects on my lack of vocal talents.

Standing respectfully is the way to go. It's an awesome anthem too.

Posted by: Cerealman | April 20, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LesGrossman | April 20, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

if he plays hard he's an asset. If he doesn't go digging and grinding then he's fairly one-dimensional. He can still make plays given open ice but he needs to work harder to stay in this lineup. He's a Bruce favorite so unless things go awry I don't expect him to get scratched but on a different team he could easily find himself on the bench. The one good thing about getting moved up, down and in/out of the lineup is it forces players to play at a higher level. Chimera was going thru the motions until he found himself on the 4th line towards the end of the season. Now he's playing better.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 20, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EricinReston | April 20, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

--------------------

Strange, but I agree. He's been doing it all year and I always feel better when I hear him say half way through the second that one more goal by the Caps will seal the game (as ridiculous as that sometimes is).

Posted by: ghokee | April 20, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Totally agree with tominfl1 that the best way to shame the anthem booers would be to sing O CANADA - loudly and respectfully - on Friday at da Phone Booth. Then sing THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER even louder!!

Posted by: pirate1 | April 20, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"The only player immune seems to be Semin. He still looks lost out there esp on defense." -cstanton1

For someone lost he sure seems to find the goal, he is probably one of the top shot-on-goals players - they are not going in now but they will. Imagine if he had a Knuble playing with him or at the very least a steady linemate set.

The game is more than what is showing on TV, what you see is only a window of what is taking place on the ice, there is no way it will give you enough information for you to form an intelligent opinion as to what a player role is an a particular play, for the most part you are only watching what the guy is doing with the puck and not how the play is being developed or defended. You have no idea what a coach is asking of a player to do, or do you?

Posted by: nimes1 | April 20, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@ jdhoover

there's no such thing as a goalie rotation in playoff hockey just as there's no such thing as a QB rotation in football.

you ride one guy as long as he plays well and you have confidence in him.

Posted by: joek443 | April 20, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nimes1 | April 20, 2010 12:17 PM |

In a nutshell, most ppl have never laced it up...so you are right there!
This team would not be better without Semin...he's scored too many big goals.

Really, is there any1 on Les Habs we would trade for him?

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 20, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | April 20, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

The only place I know is Champps in Reston. I might be good with a viewing party - I need to check on Wednesday with CINCHOUSE, but notionally, I'm on board with it.

Raise the Banner!!!

Posted by: EricinReston | April 20, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

some - a alot - of our caps are from Canada so I dont think booing the anthem would be respectful of them either... so wont do it.. a couple of people did it Friday night of Verizon but we drowned them out by applauding.. jerks are everywhere... but I cant wait to wear my Ovi shirt in Halifax this summer.. ahahh.. we got a lot of comments about it in Russia last year.. it was a good way to meet some people..

Posted by: kmr2r | April 20, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse