Caps Cut Gustafsson, 14 Others

With Hershey's camp set to open tomorrow, the Caps have trimmed the roster by 15 players, including 2008 first-rounder Anton Gustafsson after just one preseason appearance.

Here are the rest of the cuts: Boyd Kane, Michael Dubuc, Joel Broda, Patrick Wellar, Zach Miskovic, Joe Finley, Trevor Bruess, Jake Hauswirth, Dylan Yeo, Vladimir Denisov, Josh Godfrey, Ryan Jasinsky, Todd Ford and Braden Holtby.

The Caps' roster is now down to 42 players.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 20, 2009; 12:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Big Round of Cuts Coming
Next: Theodore Will Start Tomorrow vs. Sabres

Comments

No surprises there.

Posted by: opus1m | September 20, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Not sure who the "minor" surprise might be...

Posted by: justinrglass | September 20, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Tarik meant the gustufsson cut. a surprise to some as Tarik said and only a minor one at that. Mostly a surprise because he only appeared in one preseason game.

Posted by: QuintenD | September 20, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

i always knew we drafted him because of his dad... everyone always said he didn't look so good..

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Still 20 players to go....a full team...someone is going to be cut free altogher.

Posted by: RichC3 | September 20, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

all those cuts will be going to the bears right??

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Rachel , some may be going to ECHL or to a junior team Most to Hershety

Posted by: billd2 | September 20, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

correction, I don't think any to juniors just ECHL and Hershey

Posted by: billd2 | September 20, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to seeing how Finley develops in Hershey for a full season this year.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 20, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

ignore my first comment, for some reason I thought he was cut for the orgainization, period.

billd2- thanks

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

for=from

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey let's give Gustafsson time to develop. He's only 19 and hasn't spent time at Hershey yet. We are spoiled with how quickly some of our draftees are ready for the NHL. We need to be patient with our talented prospects. Frankly I'm thrilled with our depth. And I think it's great that they are get a taste of what it takes to be an NHLer. Then they go to Hershey to learn their craft.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | September 20, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

im not surprised by any of those cuts, but the next couple days are crucial for bourque. rumor is, if he doesn;t make the Caps he and the Caps have agreed he will be traded rather then being sent back down to hershey.

NO BOURQUE!!! SERIOUSLY THIS KID DESERVES A CAPS JERSEY!!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 20, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday's game was definitely entertaining. Giroux at times looks like he should be in Washington for sure, but then at the same time he takes shifts off. I noticed that when I went to Hershey last year during the Calder Cup finals and the Bears' fans I talked to said it was the only complaint most Bears' fans have. They said they could live with it because he scored so much. That won't fly in the NHL.

Hopefully Directv folks caught the game on CSN Chicago last night. The Caps will be on MSG on Directv both Thurs and next week Sunday.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 20, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Let the formalities commence. I have 2 things I'd like to note though,

1) Is Suggden still up with the Caps? If so looks like we may be auditioning a call-up enforcer.

2) Did anyone catch the recap (write-up) of the caps-hawks game on the caps website? It listed Flash and Fehr as being out with "undisclosed" injuries. I think we all know what those actually are now...

Posted by: superpaqman | September 20, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

They'll probably all go to Hershey for their camp. Some may turn around and head to the Stingrays if they don't make the Bears.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 20, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | September 20, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if we're keeping Denisov in the system somewhere? I'd heard a ton of good things about him, but he didn't seem to have much of a shot at making the team.

Posted by: mischadc83 | September 20, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Denisov may get invited to Hershey's team. He's a good AHL player, and he's tough for his size. Plays a pretty aggressive in your face game.

Doubt it. I'm sure they'll want to look at him like any other fringe player to see what they have, how well he skates etc. But McPhee is bullishly determined to go as long as possible without an enforcer. This nonsense about only needing one for 5 or so games every season. Thats almost funny if it wasn't so depressing that he really believes that. I guess the other 20+ teams in this league who dress their tough guys every game are just stupid then to use up a valuable roster spot on a player or two who should only be playing every 20 games. Oh right..we're trying to be like Detroit, my bad.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 20, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

cstanton:

You said it: Your bad.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 20, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

You know, cstanton, I felt kinda bad after writing that reply to you. You know, I have tried to be a better person and write my responses and such as if the other posters were there in the room, like we were having a real discussion like people have done for 10,000 years and not one of internet thingys where people can be like the Wizard of Oz and make great but invisible proclamations.

But then I read you again and I keep wondering: We have one of the best teams in the league, up from the bottom not so long ago, so why the negativity?

You know, from a Wizards fan; a Redskins fan; a Terps fan; GOD KNOWS an Orioles fan; it would be understandable.

But you rag on the team due to enforcer. At best, an enforcer is 23rd most important player on a roster of 23.

I apologize if I'm being rough on you, but who stuck the burr up your saddle?

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 20, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

rachel216 - I guarantee young Gus was not picked because of his dad. Decisions in this league are way above that. Now, fantasy hockey... different story.

Posted by: gonchpup | September 20, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@Tominfla1

Here's a question for you:

Brian Burke is a very respected GM in the NHL. He served as GM of the Ducks when they won the Cup, served in Colin Campbell's role of league official under Bettman, played in the NHL, very knowledgeable person in the league - kapeesh?

OK - well he took over the Leafs last year. Yes, they dumped a lot of salary before he got there creating room under the cap, but in essentially, two seasons, he's transformed the Leafs and is continuing to re-shape them in his mind.

First priorty - get tougher - signed Colton Orr from the Rangers (hence Rangers signed Brash). Then, grabbed defenseman who could not only play, but can actually fight when called upon - Mike Komisarek, Exelby, even Beauchamin, and he's already got Luke Schenn and Kaberle.

Now he's re-modeling the offense - just gave up two first's + 2nd for Kessel. Went to sweeden to pick up the "monster" who will now back up Toskala. I guess you see what I'm saying.

It doesn't take 10 years to build a winner. With the right GM an the right plan, you can be competitive very quickly. I think the Flyers are another perfect example - shedding huge salaries and bringing in a mix of young talent with vet's to be a top team in the east. They pushed the Pens to 7 as well (not just Caps).

As for the enforcer - all I know, is if I was GM of the Caps and I had OV on my team, you best believe there would be an enforcer...and his name wouldn't be Bradley.

Posted by: Jaymagz | September 21, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm starting it: "Bustafason" - go ahead - you like it

Posted by: Jaymagz | September 21, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Jaymagz, might want to see if the Leafs actually become a winner before you deem it the way to go.

Posted by: ouvan59 | September 21, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

Your spot on. McPhee is a complete idiot for not having an enforcer (among other things like getting a real crease clearing dman or two in there).

Posted by: asharifi10 | September 21, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse