Caps Hang On In New Jersey, 3-2

With most of the Caps' stars in tonight's lineup, the Caps improved to 4-0 in the preseason by hanging on for a 3-2 victory in New Jersey.

Some news and notes:

*Mike Green, Boyd Gordon and Alex Ovechkin scored while Michael Nylander had a pair of primary assists. The Devils rallied on third period goals by Zach Parise and Petr Vrana -- both against Jose Theodore -- but couldn't complete the comeback.

*For the third time this preseason, Nylander was one of the best players on the ice, setting up both Green and Gordon with slick passes. He now has six points (two goals) this preseason.

"I think he's a little bit on a mission himself," Boudreau said. "Here's a guy that got 89 points two years ago, I believe. Then he gets hurt and he misses the last half of the year and team succeeds without him. He's coming in here and saying, 'I'm one of the elite players in the NHL.' He's a proud man and he's coming back with a vengeance."

Nylander added: "I'm getting better every game. I just want to show that I can be the same player I have been in the past, get back to that level."

*Alexander Semin killed penalties again. He got 3:38 of shorthanded time and looked pretty good, I thought. He got his stick in front of a few passes and cleared a few pucks I'm not sure a slower, less skilled player would have gotten to. Ovechkin played on the PK again, too. In fact, his goal came shorthanded.

*With Chris Clark not on the trip, Ovechkin had the captain's 'C'.

*As I mentioned in a previous post, Viktor Kozlov suffered a strained groin in the first period and did not return for precautionary reasons. The injury is not believed to be serious, though he probably won't practice Tuesday.

"He just felt something tightening up, so we got him out of there," Boudreau said.

*Boudreau expressed dismay over Ovechkin and Semin taking long shifts. For the game, Ovechkin averaged 1:18 and Semin averaged 1:10. The ideal shift is about 45 seconds.

*Brent Johnson was again outstanding, stopping all 18 shots he faced during his 40-minute stint to earn his second victory of the preseason. That's good news for the Caps considering what he was put through late last season, when he was the odd man out of the Caps' net.

"He's determined," Boudreau said of Johnson. "It's the last year of his deal and he wants to play."

Johnson said: "I've been working hard in practice, trying to stop everything. Not taking any shots off. The coaches have said to me ... that they have [noticed] it and I have seen it myself."

*Jose Theodore yielded two goals on seven shots. But neither one was his fault. Parise jammed in a loose puck and Vrana's goal was a fluke. The puck appeared to bounce off his body, up and over Theodore and then bank in off the post. Fedor Fedorov, the younger bother of the Caps' Sergei, got the second assist.

*More good news for the Caps: Nicklas Backstrom appeared to be most recovered from his sprained right ankle. He skated on the first line with Ovechkin and Semin (who replaced Kozlov on the top unit).

"There were a few situations where it felt a little weird," Backstrom said of his ankle. "But it's okay. It's going to be like this for a few weeks or a month. I just have to do the best I can."

*The announced attendance was 8,536, though it was probably half that at The Rock.

*Donald Brashear got into a prolonged, bloody bout with Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond (that's one person, in case you're wondering). Both combatants landed their share of blows, but since P.L.L.L. had blood streaming from his scalp afterward, I guess Brash won the decision.

He would probably agree with that assessment since he dusted off his hands (in the direction of the Devils' bench) as he headed to the penalty box.

*It looks like Johnson will start on Wednesday and Theodore will start the final two games of the preseason schedule.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 29, 2008; 10:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kozlov Suffers Groin Strain
Next: Aucoin To Hershey, Cutta To Europe

Comments

First!

Posted by: O-V-P | September 29, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the summary

Posted by: Anonymous | September 29, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, who cares if you're the first to respond, especially with nothing to add to the conversation.

I have nothing else to add :), just wanted to vent my frustration at these jokers who think responding first is the highlight of their internet experience.

Posted by: G Dawg | September 29, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, people keep saying that the goals Theodore gave up aren't his fault, but I'm not liking the pattern I'm seeing here. When he's in goal, the pucks go in the net. That bugs me - am I alone?

Posted by: this space for rent | September 29, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

G Dawg,

It's a silly tradition on this msg board, get over it.

Posted by: O-V-P | September 29, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Seems like we still have a few too many guys at forward....what are we going to do? Great problem to have, but I wonder who is going to get Brian Sutherby'd this year.

Posted by: reekie | September 29, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Great summary Tarik,

Can't wait for the real thing next week.

Posted by: beachman | September 29, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"All [7] of Columbus' goals came against Cristobal Huet, a free agent signed to a four-year, US$22.5-million deal in July. Huet, who finished with 15 saves, is the Blackhawks' new top goalie, likely taking over for Nikolai Khabibulin, who was placed on waivers Monday. Khabibulin is entering the final season of a four-year, $27 million contract." -TSN

And Theo gave up, what, 2?
heh

Posted by: oo7 | September 29, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

It seems like a lot of teams are having problems losing guys to groin injuries, not just the Caps. I know skating requires a different stride motion than plain running, so is it the skating in general that causes groin injuries? Or is it something that is becoming more prevalent? It certainly doesn't seem like other sports have as many groin injuries.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 29, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

we need to tape up our guys' groins lol. secure those suckers in place. like we did to (I suck at life) Jagr.

GO THEODORE, GO OVIE, GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: GoOVcaps | September 29, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

@ Jschon & Team

I am honored to be enlisted to the CAPS INSIDER TEAM. 4th Line Center is my gig. And yes we will win the best looking as well, even if the other 2 on my line don't show up... sorry jmu_capsgirl

Posted by: Super | September 30, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to add that was from a previous, maybe as many as 5 posts prior.

Posted by: Super | September 30, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

got to go to this one at the rock...ovies goal was sick, backstrom looked like backstrom, semin made me wanna pull my hair out at times, nylander was lights out, brent johnson was awesome (he robbed little fedorov glove high) and cutta is so bad its embarrassing (i was worried about that pairing before the game; erskine was ok) and the brashear fight was about as good a fight as ive seen. i agree that the 2 goals on jose were both not his fault at all, a couple bad bounces

Posted by: mike d | September 30, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

ESPN the Mag has us as the "Dark Horse" Stanley Cup champs. We're also the only team to win every preseason game in regulation (Vancouver has won 4 as well, but they won their last in an SO). We're not going to surprise anyone this year - let's hope our boys can stand the pressure.

Really happy that Nylander looks so good. I thought he looked a shadow of his former self even early last season - good to see it's coming back.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Raber | September 30, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

basically, we starting off the season as should be. question is, why are we seeing little, if ANY, coverage in the WP print. sure it's preseason, but this is a SC contender team!!!

Posted by: jim | September 30, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Is there such a thing as having too good a start? Are we going to be noticed a lot more now?

There's something to be said for sneaking under the radar.

There again winning is a nice habit to develop.

Seems Nyls has something to prove and hopefully all trade talk has now disappeared.

JSchon, from a previous post, I guess I'm a health scratch due to logistics of flying me over for practices, games and not due to my skating ability!

Maybe I could backup Rich C as I would improve the overall "Good looking" average of the squad as well as provide much needed drinking ability.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 4:42 AM | Report abuse

Leave an extra beer in the crease during warms ups for me

Posted by: Rich C | September 30, 2008 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Mike:
Please tell us more about Semin and Cutta ...

Dave:
If skating had anything to do with the lineup, I would NOT be the top line center! ;-)

Where the heck is mauree?!? Shouldn't he have come out of hibernation by now?

Posted by: Boo! | September 30, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Rich:
I know why Dave is posting at 4:42 am, but why on earth are you posting at 5:44am?!?

Posted by: Boo! | September 30, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

A good record in preseason won't be the reason that we cannot slide under the radar. We may not get the love of the press, but it is getting harder for them to ignore this team. I don't see how anyone could look past this team when they are coming on the schedule. It is good to be a Caps fan!

Posted by: Mark | September 30, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Sliding in under the radar is not nearly as important as having your team feel, believe, and execute as winners.

You can't underestimate the value of the mental game and the team dynamic. Winning begets winning. I, for one, want this team to *know* that they can and will defeat each and every team in the NHL. Winning and finding the way to win will be the mindset.

If other teams who face the Caps are prepared to lose, they will lose. Nothing wrong with that.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: Drew | September 30, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

@ jmu_capsgirl

The groin injuries are happening a lot, and one coach (can't remember who) blamed it on the stiffness of the skates now. Being a player I tend to agree, as they are so rigid that they don't give much and when you sharp turn or react quickly something's got to give, and it isn't the skate. The price you pay for trying to make skates as lightweight as possible.

Posted by: Roose | September 30, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Math problems at TSN.

"Caps improve to 5-2..."

Posted by: uncatim | September 30, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

@Dave UK Caps Fan

Where can a fan catch some Caps action in your part of the world? I'll be in the UK for the first three home games,and I'd love to be able to watch them rather than rely on my usual seat-mate for e-mail updates.

Posted by: jlrpuck | September 30, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

The WaPo Caps Circus 1st annual FHL draft took place Sunday night. The Front Page hosted the event and after a few technical glitches the draft started and Keef has the much anticipated 1st pick overall.

Key
Lorton 828 Chiefs = 828
Odeon Sex Panthers = JSchon
Ice Breakers Goal Shakers = capscorndog
Drunken Lullabies = fullright

Posted by: JSchon | September 30, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@ Boo!

well semin made some nice plays but continued to dangle the puck into the zone miss his chance to shoot dangle the puck a little more and shoot it into a defender's shinguards but eh, its semin i give him a pass for scoring amazing goals....cutta had a habit of getting the puck lost in his skates and making dumb turnovers when we try leaving the zone...i wish chris bourque had a good game but he was really forgettable.

Posted by: mike d | September 30, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

When you have a good team, and you have good locker room chemistry, you do not care who you play,when you play them or where. It's all about being good. You want to play the best and beat the best. The swagger is starting , you can feel it.

There has been alot of negative comments about our D. We have a GAA of 2 ( I know it's only preseson), but it's not a bad start.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 30, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I am just as happy to see Huet having issues after snubbing us, but let's put it into perspective. He played the whole game with mostly junior players. None of their big stars played in the game. Columbus on the other hand played their entire starting squad that will be on the opening night ice.

Jose on the other hand played 1 period and gave up 2. I am hopefull for Jose, but he needs to step up like BJ has done.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Mike:
Thanks for the details. Semin has a way of frustrating and impressing you all at the same time, doesn't he?

CT:
BJ said he was motivated this season - it sounds like, in his mind, it is the first time that he has a real shot at being #1 in DC. If he keeps playing like that (and JT does not shine), he might be right. I've never been a big fan of BJ, but it sounds like he is on his game. I am eager to see them both live this season.

Posted by: Boo! | September 30, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Uncatim:

Maybe rather then a math problem with TSN maybe it is a reading problem with DC. here is your 5-2 in the story.

" Jose Theodore combined for 23 saves as Washington continued its best pre-season start since posting a 5-2 record in 1999."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Boo! I agree BJ chasing JT can only be good for the team because I doubt these two will split the lockerroom over who should be #1. Look at last year -- the team did not divide over Kolzig vs. Huet. The team wanted the goalie most likely to earn a W by backstopping a good team. The bottom line is win, baby, win and the team will have a focused mission -- even when a benched goalie throws himself a pitty party (no names named here).

Posted by: JIM | September 30, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

1.1 keef
LW Alex Ovechkin - Anyone not taking him in Capitals fan draft first, should be lambasted and sent to Pittsburgh.

1.2 go skins go
C Sidney Crosby - 1st d0uche b@g taken. However, if healthy, top 2 fantasy player. I didnt want the 2nd pick.

1.3 edgecomb
LW Jarome Iginla - Not a goaltender here, but very solid PF numbers. First brother taken and last.

1.4 oo7
C Evgeni Malkin - 2nd d0uche b@g taken. Can he produce with a healthy Crosby and weaker wings? Yet to be seen. The ugliest player in the draft.

1.5 Sombrero Guy
C Joe Thornton - Kinda of a surprise here, top goalies still available and there are only 6 elite goalies. Thornton should provide lots of assists and power play points. Kind of a boring pick.

1.6 Jordan
LW Henrik Zetterberg - He is the best player on the best team, solid fantasy numbers except PIMs. Jared Leto will play him in any movie about Zetterberg.

1.7 Honed
D Dion Phanuef - Wow, this is really early for a blueliner, but you can't argue he's the best fantasy d-man. What kind of name is Phaneuf.

1.8 MNMNT
G Martin Brodeur - Finally, the first goalie taken. Brodeur has been a stats monger for a decade now. AARP knocking on the door.

1.9 TFL
LW Dany Heatley - Fell into his lap was the best offensive player in the Worlds. Excellent driving skills.

1.10 Yosh
G Robert Luongo - Might be the best goalies but is an awful team. 2nd ugliest player on the team.

1.11 828
G Evgeni Nabokov - Here go the goalies and its about time. Not quite as good as Luongo but on a much better team. 2 Evgeni's taken already.

1.12 JSchon
G Jean-Sebastian Gigueere - Rated as the 2nd best goalie in most FHL circles, good team with a good defense and high powered offense. 1st player with 3 names taken.

1.13 capscorndoog
G Jose Theodore - Goalies are going like flies. Jose should benefit from a high powered offense and win a lot of games. 2nd Capital taken in 1st round.

1.14 fullright
C Olie Jokinen - Gets a much need change of scenary but not a lot to work with since their best 3 skaters are natural centers. 3 ugliest player in the league.

Posted by: JSchon | September 30, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

jlrpuck,

It’s difficult. One free-to-air TV station (Channel Five) shows the NHL but they only show one game a week and their coverage hasn’t started in previous seasons until after the baseball season finishes.

The only other outlet is a channel called NASN (North American Sports Network) which is available as part of a subscription package called Setanta Sports. They plan to show over 200 NHL games this season. However as they are fairly new in the UK (they are actually an Irish company) I don’t think many hotels will have it on their in-room packages. Most will have Sky Sports, which dominates sports broadcasting over here.

If you are staying in a hotel, check with them what they have in the room or if you are staying with family/friends see if they will get Setanta for you. You can subscribe month by month for around $22 but I don’t know what the listings are for the first week of the season so the Caps may not even be shown.

Or you can hope Mauree returns to this blog and has some links to live streaming via the net.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Anonymous:

I read the story, the 5-2 in the text does not change the headline being wrong. I am guessing that is why TSN corrected the headline.

Posted by: uncatim | September 30, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

For the record. I hate most of the players on my fantasy hockey team. I hope I come in last place. This would mean cindy and others had a bad year. And I'm ok with that.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | September 30, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Go Skins Go:
Way to take one for "the" team (at the expense of your FHL team)!! :-) Glad to see you have your priorities straight ...

Posted by: Boo! | September 30, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

2.15 fullright
LW Ilya Kovalchuk - He will get 50 goals, but also get you -30, better pick up a couple Red Wings to compensate.

2.16 capscorndog
G Carey Price - Montreal provides a great place for Price to excel, forget his youth he is really good.

2.17 JSchon
C Pavel Datysuk - I was lucky to have him available here. He will be centering Hossa and should rack up a ton of points.

2.18 828
RW Marian Hossa - Speaking of Hossa, he should flourish in Detroit, more so than in Pittsburgh.

2.19 Yosh
D Mike Green - Way to early for Greeny in normal drafts, but in here not surprising. Should come close to 20 goals and 60 points.

2.20 TFL
G Marc-Andre Fleury - Should win a lot of games and post decent numbers. Unattractive pick.

2.21 MNMNT
C Vinny Lecavilier - Fantasy points should be awesome with the exception of +/- and PIM's.

2.22 Honed
G Henrik Lundqvist - King Henrik will be called on to win a lot of games with a overhauled lineup in front of him.

2.23 Jordan
D Nicklas Lidstrom - What can you say about this guy? And he can play for another 5 years.

2.24 Sombrero Guy
G Chris Osgood - Had to pick up a goalie here and why not Osgood? Should win a lot and benefit from the best defense in the league.

2.25 oo7
C Niklas Backstrom - I had him ranked pretty high but not this high. He should improve on his numbers from last year, I'm thinking 18G and 62A.

2.26 Edgecomb
G Ilya Bryzgalov - The much ballyhooed Ilya taken here. He was the #1 fantasy hockey mid season pick up last year.

2.27 go skins go
RW Jonathan Cheechoo - He is looking for a bounce back year this year. Very good RW.

2.28 keef
G Cristobal Huet - One of last years hero's gets taken here, good pick.

Posted by: JSchon | September 30, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Boo!,

How come you didn't get into the FHL draft? Some pretty strange team names there. I think oo7 is definitely a Bond fan or a fan of the British Secret Service in general.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Go Skins Go:

Sorry, but I am with Boo! on this one, at least you will be able to enjoy the season as a CAPS fan.

Posted by: Super | September 30, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the draft roundup. Thanks for waiting til boring worky monday to do this, JSchon.

Posted by: Jordan | September 30, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

@ JSchon

I'm not going to lie, I slept through the draft (extremely rough night of drink Saturday and a 3.5 hour drive home from Ocean City Sunday). I'm a huge Caps fan, but Joezay would not have been my first pick in the draft if I wasn't passed out trying to recover.

However, the Ice Breaker Goal Shakers will sing their way to victory this year!

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 30, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

3.29 keef - D Zdeno Chara
3.30 go skins go - C Eric Staal
3.31 Edge - D Chris Pronger
3.32 oo7 - G Tim Thomas - HAHA!!!!
3.33 Sombrero - RW Marian Gaborik
3.34 Jordan - RW Daniel Alfredsson
3.35 honed - LW Brendan Morrow
3.36 MNMNT - LW Thomas Vanek
3.37 TFL - C Mike Richards
3.38 Yosh - LW Daniel Sedin ???
3.39 828 - G Mikka Kiprosoff
4.53 oo7 - C Patrick Sharp
4.54 Edge - D Philippe Boucher
4.55 go skins go - D Andrei Markov
4.56 keef - C Jonathan Toews

Posted by: JSchon | September 30, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Jordan,

I know I'm ahead time wise but today is Tuesday!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
I was invited but I passed - these are some serious FHLers who spend A LOT of time on it ... I'm just too slammed. I dug the names, though - oh to be a fly on the wall!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | September 30, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh man, it is Tuesday, huh? I changed my work schedule this week.. not used to being in the office today.

WEIRD.

Posted by: Jordan | September 30, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I still can't believe Spezza was available in the 4th.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 30, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Also did anybody watch the Ravens Steelers game last night. At one point Kornheiser said

"its a good thing they don't have unlimited overtimes like in hockey, there wouldn't be anybody left standing".

How can a prominent sports writer not even know the over time rules for regular season hockey? Both sports play until there is a winner in the playoffs

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 30, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Jordan,
Well it's better than thinking it's Friday when its actually a Thursday. Now that's bad!

Boo!,
I'm struggling with my Fantasy Football (soccer) team this season. I made a conscience effort not to pick any Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal players out of principal. My team is decidely average!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

If I wasn't unconscious at the time, I would have probably picked him before you had the chance to haha. Just goes to show, getting so drunk that you need 24 hours to recover doesn't pay off.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 30, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Obviously that's "principle" not "principal".

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

For all the dummies that wanted to trade Nylander... well I don't need to say anything.

And if you've ever played goal, you'd know that sometimes goals aren't your fault. Worrying about it now is silly.

Posted by: MNMNT | September 30, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I know that feeling in Fantasy Football. I play Bundesliga, and I go out of my way to avoid Dortmund and Bayern Munich (With the Exception of Klose). Oh, being a Kaiserslautern fan hurts sometimes. Except right now, when they're in first in the 2nd division.

Posted by: @Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

That above post about Kaiserslautern is from me. I hate being sick and being on my computer. It's back to bed I go.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | September 30, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

As a goalie of course I had to pick Brodeur for my first pick. You guys took all the other obvious picks...

Posted by: MNMNT | September 30, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I think Jordan's team is the strongest.

Posted by: Not Jordan | September 30, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

The team is on fire! And I agree with the "let's stop the talk about trading Nylander". He is proving to be possibly the best forward on the team. He can create the opportunities for any forward to score. So, as long as we have him, even if Ovy or some other forward gets injured, Nylander will get the puck to someone to score. And he always does it with the right timing so their shots are easy goals. The man is amazing!

Posted by: CapFan | September 30, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

That's the problem with fantasy teams in any sport.

Occasionally one of "your" players (who happens to be someone you hate) will score and for a split second you think of the fantasy points and go "YESSSS!" and then you realise that you've just celebrated a goal by Cindy Crosby/Steven Gerrard* (* delete as appropriate) and you vomit a little bit in your mouth and feel hollow inside.

I've realised its better to stick with players from teams you don't have a problem with. You may not win but you can feel good whilst being average.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Tarik - Thanks for the detailed summary. I wasn't able to listen to the game so I appreciate all the details. It's great to see Nylander shine during the pre-season. I, for one, want him as a Cap and hope he'll be here all season and into the post-season. The Alexes better mind Coach Gabby or Mama Ovechkin will have something to say about it!

@ Sombrero Guy - It's well-documented that Kornholio is an absolute idiot when it comes to hockey, and just an all-around tool in general. So I'm not at all surprised by his moronic comment.

@ JSchon - I think you had me on a line yesterday...I was recovering from a 6:30am flight home from Dallas so I guess I missed out. :-)

Posted by: Jill | September 30, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The only player on my team I don't like is Alfie. I either like or don't care about the rest of them.

I kinda got lucky in that way!

Posted by: Jordan | September 30, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@ Dave UK --I know exactly what you mean about that. I refuse to draft ANY turd from dallas in my fantasy football drafts. I've gone 5 years (10+ teams) with only drafting 1 cowboy in those years (a kicker, so I didn't feel too bad). But what I did deserves a beating, I admit that.

I was seriously considering picking Brodeur, but decided against it.

But in reality, I could care less about this fantasy stuff. If the real team wins, I'm all for it. A few years ago I lost over a $200 cause Cooley scored 3 TDs against the cowturds and the skins CRUSHED them. The guy I played had Cooley, and I lost. I wasn't upset at all that I lost the $. Just pleased we won the game.

So DEATH TO MY FANTASY HOCKEY TEAM!

Posted by: Go Skins Go | September 30, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

GSG,
I'm a Skins fan too, Sunday night was very enjoyable! (Let's not discuss that here though, we'll get into trouble!)

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 30, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"Boudreau expressed dismay over Ovechkin and Semin taking long shifts."

Did BB say something specific? Is this shaping up to be an issue?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse