Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 02/24/2011

Caps soaking up time at home before another long road trip

By Greg Schimmel

The Caps' practice today was their first at Kettler Capitals Iceplex since Feb. 11, and after their grueling, five-city road trip it was clear the players are happy to be home.

The team had two days off from practice before today, and both the return home and the time off seem to have the Caps feeling recharged.

"It's just nice to be back in some familiar territory here and sleep in our own beds," defenseman Karl Alzner said. "The road takes a lot out of you, so it's nice to be home."

Matt Hendricks used the time off to recover from the flu, but apparently not before he passed the bug along to Mike Green.

Green missed practice with the illness while Hendricks seemed almost as relieved about overcoming it as he was about signing his new contract extension.

"I was in a lot of discomfort there for a couple of days but I got on the ice yesterday and got some of the bug out," Hendricks said. "I'm feeling great today."

Six of the Caps' next nine games are at home before they embark on another extended road trip in mid-March, and with the stretch run upon them, this week might have been their last time off for awhile.

"We don't really have time to rest," winger Jason Chimera said. "We don't get that luxury to rest so it's good now that we have these important games coming up."

By Greg Schimmel  | February 24, 2011; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps still silent as trade deadline approaches
Next: Capitals host Rangers in search of third straight win

Comments

Fist

Posted by: griz0615 | February 24, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@jwash4472. Noted. The only reason I put his name was to cite the source. Not sure why he is hated, I never felt one way or another about him. However, on the point of his quote about the B's raising ticket prices, that was a fact and it shouldn't matter the source on a fact. The comment after about fans and money was a response to some who posted on here the last few days about the Caps season ticket prices going up. Thank you for the kind words though.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

We have a new body part?

“I’m saying he’s playing tomorrow,” says the Caps coach. “He’s fine. He’s got a sore ouchie that’s not preventing him from playing. He’s a tough kid.”

Reading that made my ouchie hurt, whatever that is. :)

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

How many tough-minded coaches ever used the word "ouchie?"

Not a big deal, just wondering if the Pillsbury Dough Boy is alone.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

NYP_Brooksie: Staal doubtful, Fedotenko possible/likely for tmw night v Caps

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

GMGM: I do not have your skill or expertise, but I still would like to offer a small piece of advice. Last year you waited until the final moments before the trade deadline and you received Corvo, Walker, and Belanger. All nice guys, but your team was still eliminated in the 1st round. Yes, yes I know about the hot goaltender, but the fact remains. My idea: this year don't wait until the last minute. Make a move beforehand like the Bruins, the Lightning, and the dreaded Penguins are doing. Anyway, that was it, just a suggestion. I'm going back to the peanut gallery now. Thanks, love the scarf!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 24, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

No wonder Laich constantly has high praise for Coach Butterball.

Most any other coach would actually demand that Laich back up his words more consistently.

A tougher-minded coach wouldn't let Laich get away with trying to keep his face pretty.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 24, 2011 3:39 PM

lol... you ain't in hockey to be usin' dem big words there, buddy!

I'd just add that Corvo wasn't a good guy or a good hockey player. Heh.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

from thefourthperiod.com

It's uncertain whom McPhee has specifically targeted, though New Jersey Devils center Jason Arnott and Florida Panthers forward Marty Reasoner could be on the radar. The Capitals have roughly $2 million in available cap space.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 24, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Next road trip is strange as it both starts amd ends in Montreal.

Home stands usally start and end in the same place, but not road trips.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

looks like stastny and liles are both available. both solve what the caps need. A center and Left shot from the D that can help the power play. With 6Million in cap and put Poti on LTIR. Lets hope we can find a trade that works for the second time for the caps.

Posted by: samb99 | February 24, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@samb99, interesting idea but I am afraid to think what the cost of both would be.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Liles was getting a lot of negative press, for his play, back in the November timeframe. Has that subsided?

He and Stastny have an $11M combined hit.

Liles is 4.25 thru next year, and that would substantially impact ability to retain Hannan.

You could afford both players thru the end of the year if both Poti and Fehr are LTIR for at least half the time remaining. Of course I'm counting Alzner bonus as part of cap; you can pay the bonus next year instead but I'd rather not.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

i would assume that some salary would go back to them plus draft picks plus a top prospect to do the math

Posted by: samb99 | February 24, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@tom, one thing that might help is I have seen in a few places the Cap could go up 2-3M next year.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If we could include Poti as part of the trade it would help big time. I like the idea of Alzner/Carlson, Green/Shultz, and JM Liles/Erskine as our 6 D and wouldn't be hurt if Hannan left with those 6 on our team. We could find another cheap $1M Lilja of next season as a 7th D.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Caps have 1.613 in sapce per cap geek.

However, if you count Alzner bonus this year it's .763 in space.

Let's use $763K.

Stastny and Liles are $2.5M in prorated hit from tomorrow till season's end.

There are 43 days left (6 weeks).

763/2.5 = 30.5% x 43 days = 13 days you can afford them, not 43.

I can't do all the math, but pretty sure besides Poti and Fehr on LTIR until Apr 9 you also have to move salary in the deal. You can offset $763K under for 77% of the season with $2.5M of real overage (not prorated) for 23% (balance) of season.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Liles is not coming here. Not at his price tag for next year. So move onto a different situation.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Schultz is not a Top 4 d-man no matter how gaudy his obscure, meaningless stats were last season. This is even more true on a team as soft as the Capitals.

I understand that Schultz is young and that d-men take a long time to develop but I still believe that his value last season was at what will end up being an all-time high.

A tough team with plenty of balance could possibly win a cup with Schultz as their 6th or 7th d-man but that's as far as I would go. He's vastly overrated by stat nerds and McPhee sniffers.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Here is an idea of the team if the cap goes up $2M. We trade Poti, MP, Neuvy, and our #1 for Colorado for Stastny and Liles. They have nothing good in net now so Neuvy looks good for him. We can then sign a player like Andrew Brunette and let Laich go. If we need a better #7 D we can sign Lilja.

Lineup would look like this.

Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Eric Fehr ($2.200m)

Alexander Semin ($6.700m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Andrew Brunette ($2.000m)

Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)

Cody Eakin ($0.660m) / Dave Steckel ($1.100m) / Matt Bradley ($1.000m)
/ D.J. King ($0.637m)

DEFENSEMEN
John Carlson ($0.845m) / Karl Alzner ($1.675m)
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Jeff Schultz ($2.750m)
John-Michael Liles ($4.200m) / John Erskine ($1.500m)

Andreas Lilja ($0.750m) / Tyler Sloan ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($1.500m) /Braden Holtby ($0.637m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,545,127; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $854,873

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@Tom - I understand these statements have been highly critisized and to an EXTENT I understand you point of view.

Lets play pretend for a second. Lets say that you knew that statement to be incorrect. What if you knew that Corvo was the backup plan and the primary fell apart at the very last second so he had to call CAR quick just to get some depth for what was going to be a long playoff run. What if Corvo was like plan C or D and only went there just to get another body in here in the event sombebody was hurt. So you knew that what GMGM said about the player was wrong but probably said it to make the new player feel welcome and not like plan "C" or "D".

Talk to me brotha! What then?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Good with his stick, positionally sound, blah... blah... blah...

Those things don't come close to compensation for way too underly physical and way too slow for the current style of play in the league, post-lockout.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I really hope this is the last season of Chimera in D.C.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Tom, I was referring to GMGM saying he targeted Corvo. That part didn't copy over.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@tmac, I don't think blocking shots is an "obscure, meaningless stat." Ask the Habs. He isn't a top 2 guy but he would be a 4/5 depending on the team. Look at Pittsburgh, he is not worse then Niskanen who was just basicly given to the Pens, or Lovejoy or Englland. You really think that he couldn't even be #3 on a team like Nashville (only Webber and Suter are clearly better) and they are a defensive minded team.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you, sista!

13 years of data and a load of years into the rebuilding to work with during his tenure.

Even if what you say about Corvblow is true, means nothing in the big picture.

Last year could end up being pivotal. He didn't do enough to address needs, just like he didn't this past offseason, just like he won't do by the 28th, just like he won't do this coming offseason, etc...

You get the picture... assuming the koolaid ain't too strong.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

From Mike Vogel on Twitter:

"Just had a long convo with #Caps GM George McPhee. Will likely post sometime tomorrow. Talks ongoing, but it takes two to tango."
2 minutes ago

Posted by: wocoliz | February 24, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Mike Vogel just tweeted this:

VogsCaps Just had a long convo with #Caps GM George McPhee. Will likely post sometime tomorrow. Talks ongoing, but it takes two to tango.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

The Habs don't want him and he wouldn't be 4/5.

Niskanen is better and they see value in those other players. Pitt wouldn't even think about touching a Schultz. He doesn't in any way fit their mold of hockey player... for good reason.

Nashville wouldn't touch his soft, slow ass. Not only would he not be a top 3, he would have trouble cracking the roster. They wouldn't want him anyway.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

really hope this is the last season of Chimera in D.C.

Posted by: tmac2yao

The guy's never been a healthy scratch as Cap (just as an Oiler and BlueJacket).

That tells me they'll sign him to an extension

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Every last one of you with your heads still in the cloud will come around on the likes of McPhee, Boudreau, Schmutz, etc... in due time...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

As I said, Shultz could maybe be a 6th/7th d-man on a tough, well-balanced legitimate contender but that is all. And that is even a maybe.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@Tmac - really? That's what you got? Because he's never done anythhing and never will? There's a reason the question was pointed at Tom.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

And I've very much acknowledge certain improvements in Schultz' game over the past 2 years, most notably hiw work along the boards, but it ain't enough and it will never be enough. The problem extends will beyond phsyical stuff. He is mentally as soft as they come. You can't change a player's personality that much. That is largely innate. At his peak, Schultz may learn how to give off a half-scowl and a hushed snarl. That is a best-case scenario.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

There's also a reason this is an open forum. You posted and I responded to it. Your choice to respond in return or ignore it. I ignore a lot of people's posts around here on a regular basis, incuding a lot of yours.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Icehammer

Poti is untradeable. No one is taking that contract.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 24, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

At his peak, Schultz may learn how to give off a half-scowl and a hushed snarl.
-------------------------------------
Erskine once stared at me and it scared the bejeebers out of me.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 24, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Poti is untradeable. No one is taking that contract.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 24, 2011 4:52 PM

there could always be teams that need to get to the cap 'floor' - as slim as it may be - somebody might take it

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 24, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

It is more likely Poti announces he is retiring due to the groin injury than any GM taking that contract off our hands.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

The reason it takes 2 to tango is b/c there are some teams that still haven't held up the white flag yet. 9th place in the western standings is occupied by 3 teams, all of whch are 2 points out of 8th place. As craziness would have it, that 8th spot that's only 2 points away, is occupied by FOUR teams.

So yeah, I can understand it takes 2 to tango. It took til last nights loss for Atl to waive the white flag. As each night passes more teams will do the same. Then there's 2 to tango and we all live happily ever after! LMAO!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm still hoping to see the stat dude from CI do some kind of real analysis of McPhee's peformance in the areas of drafting, free agency, trades, etc...

There are plenty of metrics you can use to produce some sort of objective and comparative analysis of his performance in those areas.

I keep regurgitating it but about a year and a half ago, I saw a study of draft performance across the league for a 10-year period. It used various metrics to gauge the effectiveness of each team in each round over that decade. Things that I recall from the study regarding the Caps:

- We had more 1st rd picks than any team over the period of the study. I believe they even commented that any success we've had in the 1st rd should be evaluated within the context that we had more to work with, which wasn't the result of savvy GM work but rather trading and tanking.

- We were the worst of any team in the league in the 2nd rd and beyond. We were producing next to nothing in those rounds while a lot of teams were finding plenty of diamonds in the rough. Detroit was among the best but there were a lot of other teams that did well. I don't even believe Detroit was the best based on those metrics.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

And it was an objective study as far as affiliation was concerned, at least on the surface. The metrics used were very sensible but I believe you could go above and beyond even what they did, which is why I was hoping our local stat head would be interested in doing his own study.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@tmac

In defense of ****55, PREACH ON!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 24, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Is there an e-mail address for the stat dude?

I'd love to see some objective analysis join the fray of all these "McPhee sucks vs McPhee is awesome" debates.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I take Vogel's comments to be code for: Don't expect any action until Monday, now re-order your season tickets.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 24, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Katie, do you or anybody else have an e-mail address for Neil Greenberg?

I posted a vague request on this topic in one of his previous threads but thought a direct e-mail with more detail may just pique his interest?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
I'd love to see where you're getting that data and what the exact criteria was.

I did the research at the beginning of the season (yes I took the time to prove a point). I looked at rounds 1-3 and then lumped rounds 4-7 and took it back to the 2000 draft.

In this timeframe, we have more 1st, 2nd & 3rd round draft picks that have played in the NHL than any team that has won the Cup since 2000.

Like I've said a million times. Pull your (not you specifically Tmac) head out. Don't be a follower. The NHL is not JUST the Caps. Every flippin GM makes mistakes. Ken Holland, Ray Schero et al they're no different. The draft is a crapshoot esp past the 1st 10 or so picks depending on the yr.

Would you rather have Milbury who would be the most active GM in the league but would have this team completely dismantled and a bottom feeder in the league in less than 2yrs!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

McPhee has never, to my knowledge, drafted a 5th, 6th or 7th rounder who played for the Caps except Perreault. Only 4th roundes are Osala (2 games) and Holtby.

The only diamonds he finds are the ones you trip over in the very front of the diamond mine.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Yea, it takes 2 to tango. The problem is that McPhee don't know how to dance.

The only move he knows inolves bending over and taking one in the bunghole and that certainly doesn't qualify as the tango... maybe the bango?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

why is Mike Milbury the poster child for what happens if we aren't happy with McPhee's complete ineptitude in revamping his team via trades?

why ignore the dozens of other past and present GMs who ARE able to wheel and deal effectively?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"Panthers échangent Weiss. should announce soon that Stephen Weiss is traded."

I wonder who... kinda early in the trade deadline, must be a good deal going back to FLA... probably not caps since he didn't need to be traded with 2 more years on his contracts.

still crossing fingers it's the Caps though!

Posted by: FrankM73 | February 24, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 5:29 PM

Obviously, because there is something in the koolaid that causes this ignorance. I only took a sip once and it caused severe but temporary delusions.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are just fooling around about putting Fehr in 1st line. 3rd line works better for #16

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 24, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Bob McKenzie saying Weiss has not waived No Trade Clause. Also saying FLA traded Cory Stillman to CAR.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 24, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

yeah, nothing is final until we see teams and return... until then it is just a rumor!

Posted by: FrankM73 | February 24, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

OK, my bad, 5th Rd pick Roman Tvrdon played 9 games for Caps in 03-04.

That's the year I didn't order Center Ice because I hated Jagr so much. That year, I boycotted hockey and then 04-05 they didn't play.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

FLA's Stephen Weiss has not waived his NTC to go anywhere at this point in time. If that changes, will let you know.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 24, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Dreger says Weiss has not waived his NTC, so it appears to be a big nevermind!

Posted by: FrankM73 | February 24, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
Because everybody's complaining about "activity". "All our rivals and Cup contenders we have to go through are getting better and we've done nothing" type of arugment.

4 points:
1. Activity doesn't = good moves
2. Deadline isn't here (talk to me Mon at 3:01pm)
2. Milbury was one of the most active GM's in history (& worst)
3. Everybody here seems to know him & talk about him alot so I used him (didn't know he was being used as a poster child by others)

Maybe I just think that most everybody else mentioned isn't THAT much better than GMGM to fire him and change the direction of the entire franchise & potentially set us back yet ANOTHER 2-3yrs. The only GM I know and think enough of, to do that with is currently rebuilding the Leafs and obviously unavailable. If Burke becomes available then fine, now you have a better candidate and is worth the couple of steps backward b/c you know he can get you to the promise land (I could be bias though).

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The Caps' big time move will be taking Poti off IR.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 24, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@Tom - I said my criteria was "who played in the NHL". Not necessarily with the Caps. My thought on that was if we drafted a player that made it to the NHL whether it be with us or not is good "drafting" since that was the topic.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS!

"Dreger has reported that Tom Poti has compromising pictures of George McPhee and Ted Leonsis spooning in Mr. Leonsis' office while eating baklava and wearing nothing more than scarves."

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

That precise criteria was used in the study I was referring to. It was one of the metrics - games played in the NHL for any team, not just by the team that drafted the player.

I will post the link to this study if I ever find it. I'm working off memory and am trying not to let my bias against McPhee taint my recollection.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Pierre Lacroix

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 24, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

pokerface: Except that if we draft him and then don't sign him (Oduya, 6th round), and he goes on to star elsewhere, it's actually worse than if you never drafted him at all.

Surely you can't give McPhee credit for Oduya. I don't care how many Capns & coke you've had :).

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Man I really wish I was here for the scarf references. LOL! It does sound pretty funny. :) Wait a minute. Maybe I don't want to know. Yep scratch that. Don't tell me, I don't want to know. If I wanted to know bad enough I'd read back and find it. Carry on! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Pierre Lacroix

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 24, 2011 5:56 PM

I'll add Barney Rubble.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

LMAO Tom! I'm not sure if I counted Oduya or not but you're right, if he was included that would be incorrect. Capn Cokes or not!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

McPhee has managed this team onto the precipice- we can't afford the players we need, can't win with the players we have- and it's suddenly looking like we'll be next year's Ottawa Senators.

Posted by: seth_malaguerra |

What?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Pierre Lacroix

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 24, 2011 5:56 PM

I'll add Barney Rubble.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------
@vermont - listen, I really really like Pierre Lacroix. I didn't include him because he's as entrenched in Colorado as anybody can be. Not only that but he takes a lot of critisizm because he favors French Canadians too much. The exact same critisizm GMGM gets with Euro's. So it's not just GMGM who favors a certain type of player? OMG! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

@tmac - keep proving my point.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Lucic is 4 goals short of a 30-goal season... and he's done it in a mere 57 games.

How 'bout that?

I remember saying he could be a 30+ goal scorer in this league. Can't remember who it was that said no way...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I remember suggesting several times that the Caps' high offensive output had a lot to do with their style of play and was not nearly as much a function of their incredible offensive talent.

I also said that if we became more defensive-minded like a legit team should, we'd see a drastic drop in offense.

Can't remember who said no way and that it was mostly due to our tremendous skill and talent...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Anybody seen kittyflawz recently?

Or did she follow Chrissy Bourque to Europe?

Or is she too busy putting the finishing touches on the Tyler Sloan fan club?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@tmac

Is that supposed to be a passive shot at me? Well here is your quote anyway, "Who ever said Lucic was going to be a great hockey player or put up more than 20 goals?

He's a physical presence with below average skill. I'd love to have him in a Caps uniform on a checking line. He's a great role player."

I was comparing Lucic to powerhouse forwards such as Cam Neely, who Lucic was drawing a ton of comparisons too at that time.

So yeah...have any more passive-aggressive shots you want to take at me?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

pokerface: The scarf? It was in 24/7. Everytime they showed McPhee he was wearing a dark trenchcoat and a white scarf. And they always showed him in really dark lighting. He had an almost mephistophilean quality about him in that show.

I myself would die before wearing a scarf.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, of course not, richmondphil. I would never do that.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Funny you say that because I was trying to think of who it was earlier in the year that thought ATL would be so good this yr and E Kane would score 30 goals. Not referencing you if it was, I just remember the conversation is all.

Same as the conversation with Tom as far as if Chi would make the playoffs or not. I still say they won't, Tom says they will.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

@tmac

Well I am trying to figure this one out, because you never said Lucic was going to score 30 goals. In fact, you said that no one ever said he was going to score more than 20 goals, and you also added that ( at 4.x mil/yr by the way) "he is a great role player."

While my initial post was criticizing Lucic and his play, and wondering if he would ever reach the "Next Neely" status some fans were giving him, it's clear that I gave him more credit even than then you give him and his "checking role" assignment at that time. Also, the context of my post was really about questioning Boston's offense, or lack of it apparent in the playoffs, which has obviously proven itself to show that I was wrong on that point. So seeing you trying to bring it up now, after lying about what you said and twisting the situation around without the rest of the context, is quite puzzling.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

@Tom

LOL! I saw that on 24/7 but must have missed out on the jokes in the beginning. I was gone for a bit around that time. Too funny though now that I think about it. He's a pretty small dude so maybe he gets cold easy? LOL! I don't know! LOL! Get those legs movin George!

I'm not a scarf kinda guy either. I'm not a watch guy either. Every yr for xmas my mom asks if I'd ever wear one, I just tell her to save her money. LOL.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Kane will be a 30-goal scorer. I wasn't talking strictly about this season. ATL made a strong run, didn't they? A lot stronger than most believed they would. They were one of the big surprises in the league for much of the season.

And I also said that they were by no means elite and were no lock to even make the playoffs.

I'd take their GM over our's in a heartbeat.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey richiephil,

You should try to convince your fellow Kings fans that Tom Poti is the missing piece to jump start their offense. Maybe they are as gullible as Caps fans. OK, maybe not...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd take their GM over our's in a heartbeat.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
We've already had this "type" of GM in Poile. All grit, little skill. I suppose if that's what you want then he would be your guy.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

I am big on Evander Kane, so that sounds like me. He's on pace for about 27 goals, if he played a full 82 games this season.

I also really, really, really want the Thrashers to make the playoffs, since they are in serious danger of being relocated. Getting in this year would seriously boost the team's support.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 |

Poile is a good GM. Look what he has done in Nashville, and his tenure was great here in Washington. We never made it all the way, but that's why he's not here anymore. Still a good GM in my book.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 6:34 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know where you got that idea but is it Poile's fault that he NEVER had a chance to draft a guy like Ovi?

A monkey could have drafted Ovi.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@tmac

You just flat out lied about something you said earlier, and this is all you can come up with? Really?

I can't wait for the next persona/shtick you pick up, since you seem to overtly change the way you come off every 3 months.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 6:39 PM | Report abuse

What was ATL's record vs us this season vs last season?

That doesn't say nearly as much as their overall performance this season but it's another sign of progress. They did awesome in free agency and it'll be interesting to see where they go from here, assuming they even have a team down the road.

Their GM did exceedingly well under the circumstances and don't tell the ATL players or coach that this season is over yet. They ain't giving up. That's fo sho. Not saying they're gonna make the playoffs but I never said that was a guarantee to begin with. I said it was possible and that they'd be better off without Kovalchuk while few people believed either of those things going into the season. The former is still the case and the latter is yet to determined. It may never be possible to determine the latter though since it will be all based on hypotheticals. I still think they are better off without Kovalchuk, regardless of what happens with either team going forward. That's not because I think Kovalchuk sucks. He doesn't. He just ain't worth that kinda cash flow, similar to how Ovechkin isn't worth what he makes, at least not on the ice. Fat Teddy is surely getting a nice ROI.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 6:42 PM | Report abuse

A monkey could have drafted Ovi.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 6:38 PM

"I'll take Ovechkin!"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

What if we include Green in a trade with the Avs? maybe something like Green + Mp + 1st for Stastny and Liles?
Green hasn't exactly been lighting up the roof in the playoffs before and Liles is a lefty which we need for our PP. Green is due for a small raise in a year, resigning Liles could be a cheaper alternativ and we have Orlov 1-2 yrs away as a puckmoving D.
And Semin could finally play with a playmaking C on a nightly basis!

Liles and Hannan has also played together in Col so there should be some chemistry between them.

Posted by: Walle | February 24, 2011 6:48 PM | Report abuse

A monkey could have drafted Ovi.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
Who said anything about OV? The Caps teams GMGM has put together are the exact opposite of what Poile puts together. Poile's teams are exactly what Dudley has put together in Atlanta.

Once again, he's (Tmac's) falling in love with "activity". After all those moves they made in the offseason, what did it get them? The exact same thing only now the fans have completely abandoned the team because they don't have a superstar anymore.

I don't know where I stand with that franchise. There are times I say it should be contracted then I run into somebody who's pationate about them and I soften up because the kid argument comes up. I have kids what can I say? I would never live in a town that didn't have some sort of professional/ncaa hockey. I'll say this though, if they lose that franchise for a 2nd time, I don't care if Jesus comes back they'll never deserve another hockey team. It's sad what's going on there but I still think what's going on with the Islanders is worse.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 6:51 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

Atlanta is one of the few cities in the US that is a worse sports town than DC. Yes everyone, DC is a crappy sports town. The fan bases are irrationale, no real sports radio programs. I could go on and on but I dont want to piss anyone off.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Poile is a very good GM. Was not into the economics of the game when he was the Caps GM but felt he never had the money to play with (same would be true in Nashville). I think if he could have spent a little more he could have added an additional scoring threat and some of those teams would have had a very good shot.

I'm not bashing GMGM. I think he is a good GM. I think the caps are missing 1-3 pieces (2C and maybe a depth D and I would feel pretty good (I don't mind seeing Sloan in the regular season but playoffs?). Last season I was not happy with the deadline pickups which I think messed up the chemistry (too many roster players followed by changing the lineup every game) and the players were just not what we needed or very good (Belanger was ok, Corvo and Walker not so much).
The question is can GMGM put together all the pieces required. I think he's done a good job getting this team together as it is now (or was last year) but am starting to doubt whether he can finish it.

Posted by: BorntoHula | February 24, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

To summarize GMGM good, not sucky, but certainly not great (yet?).

Posted by: BorntoHula | February 24, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Add to the book of famous sports maxims, today's quote: "It takes two to Tango"! If I had to tango, I'd prefer Julianne Hough in a scarf over GMGM.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 24, 2011 7:12 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. You have NO idea what Poile could have been able to do had he had more financial freedom such as GMGM.

2. Even with that since he has been the GM of Nashville, a friggin' expansion team, his team has had about the same W/L record as GMGM's Caps as I pointed out on here about a month ago.

3. I repeat, Poile's team has had just about the same amount of success as the Caps as an EXPANSION team with much LESS money.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse

ThePat

I live in Colorado now and DC's not bad. You wanna hear bad? This is an honest to goodness true story heard by my ears not somebody else's.

Everybody knows (or maybe not) but Colorado no longer sells out and hasn't for a long time. Foppa announce's he's coming back and Avs sell a bunch of tickets for the 1st couple home games. So Peter goes out, plays 2 games and retires. Those 2 games were "away" games. So fans here actually called up the radio station pi$$ed b/c they bought tickets to see Forsberg play and now they can't b/c he retired before any home games. So now they want a refund and even had this DB of a sports talk show guy buying in. Mike Haynes their play by play guy said all those fans are idiots which they are but I don't think if the same thing happened with Bondra people would want a refund. Maybe I'm wrong there. I mean after all people wanted a refund because of snow. So maybe it is bad! LMAO!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse

A monkey could have drafted Ovi.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
Keenan or Milbury woulda traded the pick.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

Yeah I believe that. I still think DC is a pretty bad sports town.

Like you said people were pissed about the snow. And if you have seen recently people are upset about season ticket prices going up. If you want Ted to be spending close to the cap he has to charge you more for tickets.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Did not know this:

"In 1992, McPhee landed his first major NHL management position, starting as vice president and director of hockey operations as well as alternate governor for the Vancouver Canucks, assisting then general manager Pat Quinn. With McPhee, the team made the playoffs four times, won a division championship, and played in the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals, which they lost to the New York Rangers."

Posted by: Dizruption | February 24, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Completely off topic but does anybody here gamble on sports? Hockey specifically? I'm talking more of a full time variety not somebody who goes to Vegas once a yr and will throw some down on a game. No offense, just curious if anybody else does. I wanted to exchange emails or somethin is all.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@Dizruption

Somebody accidentally cut his stones off in a horrific early morning (optional) skate in Vancover. We're the biggest, yet wimpiest team in the league since GMGM lost 'em. Sad !!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 24, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@joek443 - Three things with Nashville you have to keep in context: First, that they have to continually be scouting for the next player to move up..they get rid of alot of talent that they cant afford to keep and get smart draft picks/prospects off them before they go away with free agency......Second, Nashville is helped by the salary cap. Other teams cant bid away their players with real market value because they have ceilings of their own - only most teams have a ceiling $20 million higher than what Nashville can afford. The Predators still have cap room always to bid for guys that other teams maxed out with money cant...just they dont give them long deals....Third, Poile cant make stupid long term franchise killing deals - he is not financially allowed. No Jagrs, Gomez, Brieres or Lecavaliers to tie them down. - So yes they turn a difficult decision into a good thing consistently probably because every player in there is auditioning for a real team to come scoop them up on a 4 or 5 year deal. Nashville management is accepting of that reality - and that is why they do it well.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 7:47 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond

When we brought in Corvo, I cringed. Not just because he's a lousy D, but the guy slugged a gal in a bar in front of 50 people. Yea, we need that last minute baggage with the dark cloud that hangs over this franchise.

GMGM thinks we're dumb Washingtonians, because we're not a sports town. Corvo is a first class @hole, and all the NHL knows it. So GMGM in desperation adds an @hole to the team. I hope poker is right and Corvo was a 3rd or 4th option. Because Corvo is not the guy you want when you need to win 16 injured. He's a jerk, and you saw how the team performed. GMGM is building that "play off beast" slowly but surely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 24, 2011 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 6:51 PM

Favorite all-time bumper sticker: "Jesus saves, but Espo scores on the rebound."

One thing I have to say about Poile. His record drafting in the first round for the Caps was really spotty. He picked some late round gems (Bondra) and of course Stevens a great pick. Made great trades - Langway, Carpenter out - and terrible ones (the sequence of trades with Dino to Miller to Cavallini etc was awful).

He has a better Playoff record than McPhee though.

His first round picks were so bad actually you can't list them all. Let me just give you this one: Volchkov. And some of his Nashville trades (with Filthy) were putrid. I rate him as a fairly sharp guy whose every third decision was a complete brain fart.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

@poker

Go jump in a lake ! Poile had Abe to deal with. Poile had no money to chase FA's, yet built a team that GMGM took to the finals.

My grandmother could have drafted Ovi !

Poile did a great job under horrific conditions. Why do Tominsocal and I so desperately want to Whizz on Abe's grave. Because he screwed us. If we exit early again, I may toss cookies !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 24, 2011 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Talking about wimpiest, I agree. Some of you may be...shall I say...'matured' enough to remember McPhee as a player. Nasty, borderline dirty, gritty tough guy. If he has been responsible for building this Caps team, you'd think he'd mold the team with that same type players. But, with a couple of exceptions, this is very much a 'soft' team, particularly the defensive corps. Everybody knows we need to shore-up our D, and at center, but he doesn't make a move. What gives here?

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 24, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 24, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

OR

wait until we see the lay of the land on Monday and know what all the competition has already done...determine if we really need to make a move...and then hold out until 2:30PM when teams that are selling will make bad decisions just to get rid of their players for just about anything out of desperation.....really I still dont think there is one player available today that the Caps could get that would make a difference anyway - getting Joe Corvo at 6PM Friday or 2:55 Monday makes no difference.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Nashville has NEVER won a playoff series....

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Trade Semin to LA, you will have all the assets and cap space you could ever need. They need a scorer, and perhaps the best farm system in the NHL.

There are no excuses this year.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 24, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst

GMGM shouldn't have to wait until Monday to realize he needs a scoring line center. He should have been working on this since the summer.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 24, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

@joek443, cstanton, Huntsy, others who have followed long enough.

Let's pretend that Poile never got fired by rotten ol' Abe. In fact, let's pretend Abe croacked back in 97 before firing him and Leonsis got the team then.

How would the Caps have been different all those years and how would they be different today?

Would Poile have talked Ted out of Jagr?

Would we have Ovechkin and Backstrom?

Would Poile have extended Poti?

I'm thinking it all would have been pretty much the same. You can't say he wouldn't have picked Semin, because he picked Volchkov. You can't say he wouldn't've picked Fehr, he missed the boat completely with Baumgartner and Brad Church. He didn't match Stevens and then matched Kelly Miller.

He picked Darren Veitch I think 5th overall and then EDM picked Coffey 6th overall, so you could make a case that he would've missed out on Mike Green.

And he couldn't have traded Brendan Witt to himself in 06 to get the pick to take Varlamov.

Maybe only Rod Serling could tell us what would have happened.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

LA might need a scorer...but why would they (a contender) take Semin? - if the Caps could get him to score would we even trade him...if we cant get him to score playing here with OV, Varly, etc - then how would they be able to get him to score?

What exactly do they give you for him? He comes with a $6.7 million deal for next year and then he can walk.

Whats that worth exactly? Is LA that stupid?

Then how will whatever little they are willing to give the Caps going to "fix" the biggest problem on the Caps in the short term (meaning this year)...2nd line center scoring and PP?

The more you break it down there is no deal to be made there. Semin would have to go to a team which has no aspirations this year to make it worthwhile for the Caps.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

You all better pray to whatever higher power you believe in that Varly and Neuvy stay healthy because the goalie situation at Hershey just keeps getting worse. Dany Sabourin is out for the season, Holtby is listed as week to week with a bum knee. Todd Ford started for the Bears tonight in Cleveland and gave up 3 goals in 40 seconds. He was yanked and now we are relying on Jared DeMichiel, who is only a few months removed from his college days. I'm not even sure who is next on the depth chart after DeMike. But if Neuvy or Varly go down, you might see a very green rookie sitting backup in DC.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 24, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@tom in fautline central

Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll take Sara with her ruler over McPhee for GM any day !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 24, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Nashville has NEVER won a playoff series....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL the Caps have won 1 outta 7 playoff series during the same time period.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | February 24, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Its got to make sense though, there really are only a few guys good enough to be an upgrade - they dont fall out of trees - and if it means opening up a glaring weakness somewhere else he can't win the trade.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 24, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure you're not confusing George with Mike McPhee, who was one mean sob?? I did all the way up until just a couple months ago. When I think real hard, I vaguely remember McPhee as a Ranger and he was a lame-pest like Ryan Hollweg...certainly not somebody to be feared

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 24, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

@yesisaiditfirst

You make some good points. But in the West, LA could miss the playoffs all together. Their situation is a bit more desperate. Plus, they offered Kovalchuk big money. I don't think the contract will scare them. Plus, they can trade prospects/picks.

What's Semin worth? Teubert, Simmonds, 1st? Maybe?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 24, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Nashville has NEVER won a playoff series....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL the Caps have won 1 outta 7 playoff series during the same time period.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Nashville 4 playoff series
6W 16L in playoffs
Lost 2 series to Sharks, 1 to wings, 1 to Black Hawks

Same old Poile hockey - very responsible until you need to get somewhere.

Id rather watch Brooks Laich all night.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst

I disagree. Even BMo would have been an improvement over MarJo and MP. Neither are ready to assume the 2C role. There were guys available this summer. Even the jinx Ollie Jokinen at $3million would have been an upgrade over two rookies.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 24, 2011 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking something can be done with the Wild

We have a Schultz, they have a Schultz (both 55 so could be traded and keep same jerseys).

We both have Bouchards.

We both have Nick Backstroms.

We have Chimera and they have Clutterbuck (OK, bad comparison).

Something can be done. I've been talking about Cluts since last July.

Huntsy: For GOD'S sake don't get me started again on Sarah! mrstominsocal1 is already suspicious after I tried to make her wear a Juneau jersey and take a yardstick to bed last night! Oh, and I wanted her to wear glasses! And put her hair up! I'm telling you, she's getting suspicious! And then my reference to the "Oval Office!"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

I would love to see a deal which would work for both of those teams - but it would be quite the risk for LA to try it.

Why would they give up Simmonds though? Wishful thinking if we think we could get that sort of catch without throwing in someone else we like to do it as insurance for them.

As for Kovy - that would have been a coup for the Kings because he would have come for nothing but money and he would have sold tickets for a long time (15 years)...cant be compared to Semin. Alex is Kovy Junior.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Would Poile have talked Ted out of Jagr?

Would we have Ovechkin and Backstrom?

Would Poile have extended Poti?
--------------------------------------------------------------

The Langway trade SAVED this franchise.

Even if you take the position that GMGM was a bystander in the whole Jagr fiasco, at a minimum he was an
unindicted co-conspirator.

What great trade has GMGM ever made? I don't consider having a fire-sale and getting a bunch of draft picks in return difficult.

If GMGM ever makes Bobby Carpenter for Ridley/Miller/Crawford type of a trade then I'll take it all back!!!

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Same old Poile hockey - very responsible until you need to get somewhere.
------------------------------------

LMAO was Nashville EXPECTED to win any of those series??

At least they didn't make a HISTORY losing those series like the Caps did to Montreal last year.

I have NO problem losing to a better team but I have a HUGE problem losing to an inferior team and making HISTORY while doing so.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I'm taking a vacation day on Monday to follow the deadline - but I really am high on MaJo...this guy has impressed me more than any rookie the Caps have brought (in a long time). This is a case where I would trust the kid....MP - never been high on him but who would take him?

We are all entitled to our opinion but I watch alot of hockey and other coaches, commentators (outside the Caps networks) are very complimentary of Johansson. He just needs to get games under his belt and be given confidence. One of the most prepared Swedes I have seen enter the NHL at that age.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@poker

I knew Lacroix stepped away as GM, but I didn't know he became team president....damn, I was hoping he was enjoying retirement and screening his calls waiting for the next challenge, and that maybe we could entice him. Oh well.

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 24, 2011 8:33 PM | Report abuse

@joek443 - In 30 years following the Caps I been down that road and done that. I want teams that are expected to win in the playoffs...and losing does sting...You can have Nashville - I already lived that and really not interested in going back.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCap | February 24, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

ablake: Ha! I posted last week that BMo was on pace to score more pts than MaJo, MP and Steckel combined! And even Belanger would've have been a good keep!

joek: If you or anyone can tell me McPhee best trade, I will believe you.

How bout, Tikkanen, Bellows, Huet, Cooke and Feds trades. But they were just rentals. Best trade...he's picked up good baragin basement FAs like Bradley and Hendricks, but that's not a trade...

Kono for Battaglia? Ohhh, that was uglier than Lindsay Lohan on Monday morning!

I can't think of one regular trade (not a dump or a deadline acq) that was any good.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I'm confused, going back to what or where?

what have the Caps done in the playoffs in recent years that's any better than what they did in the years past????????

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 8:38 PM | Report abuse

@yesisaiditfirst

LA has been dangling Simmonds for the past month to try to get a scoring winger. They have offered him to Edm for Hemsky or Penner.

Now not talking about Semin, ther are still plenty of players out there that would be an upgrade at 2C and at W. Guys that have already been traded that would have helped: Fisher, Versteeg, Neal and Stillman. I was actually hoping we'd make a play for Stillman bc he is a Left shot and has run the point of a PP every where he's been.

But there are still plenty of guys out there. McPhee just needs to pay the premium it will take to get them.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Dustin Brown and Clifford would be nice.

Posted by: StanleyCap | February 24, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

"I'm taking a vacation day on Monday to follow the deadline - but I really am high on MaJo...this guy has impressed me more than any rookie the Caps have brought (in a long time)."

More than Ovi and Backstrom?

I think not.

I believe MaJo will make a fine or even very fine #2C (or maybe #1) in about two years. Right now he is marginal #3 and next year he will be very good #3/marginal #2. That's my opinion. Right now we have a great #1, a marginal #3, and two guys who are marginal #4/should be at Hershey.

We need help at center more than California needs money.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

They are made to exist in the regular season....give our team some credit they are built to contend. Cant change history but the Caps have been inches from moving on the last three years - Nashville hasn't been close and those fans had to wait 9 seasons to even qualify for the postseason.

Nashville so looks like mid-80s Caps teams its scary.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

@yesisaiditfirst

I like MarJo too. I think he has a great future in the NHL. I believe he could be a good 3C now, just not the 2C.

This is a make or break year for many players, coaches, and hopefully GM. The Caps have to reach the ECF and I don't think MarJo is to play such a big role. Hell, it took Backstrom almost two years to become the player he is today (or last year) and he came over at a time when the Caps were just happy to make the playoffs. With the pressure this team is under, I just think it's better to have a veteran in that spot.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 24, 2011 8:45 PM | Report abuse

@yesIsaiditfirst

"Nashville Predators = watching 1984/85 Caps play defensive hockey all year with best goalies but no punch in playoffs to beat Isles or Flyers."

What have we been watching for almost the last 3 months??? To me it seems like a good defensive team, with good goalies and no scoring punch. So I guess we are Nashville or the 84/85 Caps.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you even watch their series against Chicago last year? They could easily have won that series.

They played better against the eventual champs than we did against Montreal.

If the Caps played Nashville in a 7-game series, my money would be on Nashville because Rinne would steal AT LEAST two games against the Caps.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope poker is right and Corvo was a 3rd or 4th option. *Hunter*
--------------------------------------
That's exactly what happened. Remember Corvo came in at the very last second. It wasn't b/c Rutherford was holding out to get as much as he could. There wasn't hardly any interest anywhere else.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Clut-Ter-Buck!! Clut-Ter-Buck!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | February 24, 2011 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1 -
OV or Backstrom do not fall under the radar. Johansson could for the average fan might not notice how good he is.

Bringing someone in to be 2nd line center - any greater than a rental will be a mistake. I dont want this guy hiding behind any other player in waiting for those prime playing minutes next year.

The team might need an experienced second line center right now but I doubt they will get that - hard to say any "available" player is any better than what we already have.

Oh and we also have Cody Eakin who needs to play in Washington next year - and he is ready too. Hope they dont trade that either.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao - I happen to know the person involved, so I asked her. Here's what she said: "Tyler Sloan fan club's been done, and not by me. Mostly I just decided that posting here was like having a battle of wits with an unarmed mob and decided I had better things to do with my time."

I tend to agree with her. Oh, and people who use silly variations on other people's names or handles as insults? Come off like six year olds. #JustSayin...

Posted by: irockthered | February 24, 2011 8:57 PM | Report abuse

@joek443 - whats your point...the Caps could have beat Montreal...led Pittsburgh and were almost up 3-0 - I didnt say Nashville was terrible but they werent expected to win because they arent good enough to beat those teams.

Still they have won 27% of their playoff games all time.

They aren't doing anything to improve that percentage.

There is no 2nd line center debate in Nashville which proposes ideas to change that either. It is what it is.

You know you can watch their games on center ice - I choose to support the Caps.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 9:00 PM | Report abuse

So Zherdev is on waivers and a ufa, no picking him up by the goal starved Caps?
He's not the best ever, but as rental with nothing but salary involved, how bad can that be? Shoot, place Schultz on waivers and see if anyone bites, lol.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 24, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@thePat - If the Caps continue to play 2-1 and 1-0 games for like 4 seasons you will be right. However 6 eastern conference contending teams have really good defense this year - it had to taken care of to be viable when the playoffs are those teams EVERY NIGHT.

In 1984-85 only a handful of teams were considered defensive teams. Gosh the Oilers had 400 goals one of those years.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 9:07 PM | Report abuse

keep reading in blogs vokoun being a cap. with redwings the other team looking at him. what would we do with another goalie. anyone else hearing this.

Posted by: samb99 | February 24, 2011 9:07 PM | Report abuse

@tomin "WE'RE Broke" cali

I see what you are saying, but I'm not convinced. That "98 team pissed vinegar, and consequntly went to the finals. Would GMGM allow guys like Tinordi, Hunter, Simon, Witt,and Berube to keep knocking the snot out of people, and pursue some scoring.

Poile put togeather a rough bunch that lacked scoring. Stick Ovi and Backy on that team and we hoist. That's a big "IF",
but Poile was pursuing "play off" guys.
GMGM thinks he is "aping" Detroit, but it is not working at all. The contrast between those "bad asses" in '98 and these guys is stark. I think David would have done well with Leonsis. Man, do we need a "Tinodi type" guy back there. But, GMGM just doesn't see it that way. Which is why we'll exit in the second.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 24, 2011 9:12 PM | Report abuse

@yesIsaiditfirst

The Caps have to play the low scoring games because they are short a 2C and top 6 W. If they got those two pieces then they would be able to score more.

While I like Johannson I dont think he is anything more than a great 3C. Much like Jordan Staal. They are both perfect 3Cs, who can fill in when needed on the 2nd line or 1st line but by no means is that where they should be for an extended time.

So for me, I'd be looking for a 2C with at least another year or two on his contract. That would be the best situation for the Caps.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 9:13 PM | Report abuse

@ yesisaiditfirst

I'll take an over-achieving team over an under-achieving team any day and twice on Sunday.

Nashville isn't "good enough" mostly because they can't spend the max like the Caps but even with that you know what I said about the potential playoff matchup between the two teams is true.

How long did it take for the expansion Caps to make the playoffs and beat the Big/Bad Islanders??? And who was the architect of that team???

So far this current version of the team has been able to beat NYR just barely in the playoff. And if it hadn't been for Feds who's NOT even with the team anymore, they would have lost that series too.

So do you see any progress?? I sure don't.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 9:17 PM | Report abuse

In Joek's defense he has a great argument (and somebody repeated later) in that Poile has never had the ability to run a team with a deep pocket. I think Poile is perfect for the "no superstar & revolving door" they have in Music City. I can guess that they have about as many aspirations of winning a Cup as Abe did so he should feel right at home.

That being said, nobody knows how he'd do. All we can judge him by is what he's done with what he's got.

I still say GMGM is a better GM but who knows. It's debatable for sure. I just .... gosh I can't stand Poile. He honestly made me hate the word "Potential"! If I heard that word come out of his mouth 1 more time I think my head would've exploded!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 9:22 PM | Report abuse

reggie savage

OKOKOKOKOK! I said it!!!!!!!! I said it, I said it, I said it! I'm sorry but my face has been red for hours and I just couldn't hold it anymore! LMFAO!!!!!!! Somebody had to right?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Tick Tock George.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 24, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

@yes

Nashville looked great against the Hawks. We looked like school girls against "the sickly lookin' Slovak goal tender" and his pal Hal. Poile's team was ready to play play off hockey, and lost to the champs in a WAR. We "stunk up the joint" at home in an Elim. game against a team who's city will not permit them to "stink up the joint".

To this day, I can't believe how lazy Backy, Ovi, Fehr, Laich, Chimy,and a bunch of others looked for the first half of game 5. What the hell is wrong with these guys ? My jaw was on the floor ! They still believe their own hype to this day ! Simply amazing!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 24, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

reggie savage
--------------------

well why stop there? Yvon Coroveau, Jeff Greenlaw, John Slaney, the list goes on.

Yes, we were all frustrated during those years but if you really think about it, does anyone believe Uncle Abe let Poile have a big budget on scouting???

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

FYI Pronger got hurt late in their game tonight. Not sure how bad it is, but it appeared to be his hand or wrist.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Same old Poile hockey - very responsible until you need to get somewhere.
------------------------------------

LMAO was Nashville EXPECTED to win any of those series??

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Did you watch the Blackhawk/Preds series last year? They were up 2 games to 1, leading in the last minute of game 4, with Hossa in the box serving a 5 minute major and they gave up a short-handed goal. Chicago killed the remainder of the 5 minute major, about 3-4 minutes, and then won in OT. Twist it how you want, even if they weren't favored, they blew a golden opportunity to go up 3 games to 1. I know, the Caps blew it but you are launching BS around this place like they weren't expected to win any of the playoff series. Sorry dude leading in the last minute of a game, on the PP no less, you are expected to at least win THAT game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 24, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

reggie savage
--------------------

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
I'm not sure about you, but none of the players you mentioned had nearly the hype....oh wait... "POtential" as one Reggie Savage! NONE.

Hey I said payroll was a pretty big factor so I'm with ya there.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

FACT:

The Washington Capitals are the FIRST/ONLY number one seed to lose to a eight seed after having a three games to one lead in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 9:46 PM | Report abuse

@ Vermont,
Well, from section 108, row M, at the Cap Centre, I remember both of 'em. George McPhee was a pest. "Chippy", Played hard.
Mike McPhee, Canadiens...just don't get in his way. Bigger, much tougher. They both played at about the same time, right?

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 24, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I think the hype about Savage had a lot to do with his skin color... face it, nobody ever confused the NHL with the NBA.

Also if my memory serves the Caps didn't even have a full-time goalie coach during those years. Warren Strelow was the last one I believe and I remember Poile saying that the position was never meant to be a full-time one, meaning he didn't have the money for a full-time goalie coach anymore.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70
Thank you. All the good posters on here talking about GMGM waiting until Monday to see what he needs and whats available. Geez, GMGM/BB should have known what they needed last May. Then when they didn't sign BMo and Belanger in the summer, the writing was really on the wall. Now he has to wait to see the lay of the land, give me a break.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 24, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

And who scored the OT goal?? Hossa who SHOULD have been kicked outta that game.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, they are, but they aren't the first 1st seed to lose to an 8th seed. At least the Bruins became, I believe the 2nd team to blow a 3-0 series lead. To top that off they had a 3-0 lead in game 7. That actually became a bigger topic than the Capitals loss. Thanks Boston!

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 24, 2011 9:54 PM | Report abuse

One could argue that the Caps did tie up Game 7 against Montreal but the goal was washed out by a asinine goalie interference call when Knuble's jersey rubbed against Halak's chest. Yet there was no minor penalty.

Of course, goals like that were acceptable when the Flyers mugged/assaulted Halak in the crease and pounded the goals into the net at will.

Posted by: Doom_and_Gloom | February 24, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear God in Heaven! LMAO! Is anybody watchng the Mon/Tor game? Colby Armstrong just blew a tire carryin the puck over the blue line and the play by play guy was laughing sayin he was tryin to become the wishbone from your Thanksgiving turkey. They then show a picture of Ron Wilson and I about lost my cookies! Absolutely priceless! Please tell me somebody puts that on youtube! I know I'm drinkin but that was some funny pooh!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

FACT:

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 9:46 PM |

Not only that, but with like 121 pts to 86 pts reg season differential, I'll bet a six pack of Cuervo 1.75 liter bottles that that was the biggest reg season pt diferential loss in SC history.

BTW, I'll bet also, can't be sure, but remember seeing Reggie Savage score his first ever NHL goal as a penalty shot.

Am I right or am I right?

Hey, Sarah says I'm "always right."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

And who scored the OT goal?? Hossa who SHOULD have been kicked outta that game.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------
Wo Wo Wo! You can't use "absolute's" with the Caps and then go make excuses to support your argument with other teams.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 8:55 PM

@yes...

I believe you are giving way, way, way, way too much credit to Eakin's skill (at this point in his development).

I work for a huge ("HOOGE") defense contractor as a, let's say, internal should cost estimator. I predict future cost based on the past. Now let's look at Eakin. He's doing pretty well in the WHL, eh?

(He, he...Fehr had two years WHL +50 goals.)

I don't have WHL stats in front of me. Is eakin tearing up the league like Tavares did at 18 in the OHL? If not, he's not NHL ready at 19 or 20 next fall. I say that not because I've watched him (except in U20 Tournamant) but because to jump as 18 or 19 year old from WHl to then direct to NHL, you need to dominate like Sarah Palin does with her husband to make that transistion.

The very, very, very likely path for Eakin (based on track record of 100s of past #3 round NHL draft picks) is he needs a year of AHL at LEAST. The idea that he can jump from Jr to NHL...? Even Johnny carlson had some Hershey time...not much...is Eakin as ready as Carlson? Johnny C pretty much dominated at U20 (more like Kuzzie than eakin) than dominated at AHL last spring on a successful Cup run. eakin hasn't done any of that.

Look, from what I've seen, I love Eakin, he had some of that Pat Verbeek/Dale Hunter spunk that God, Jesus, St. Peter and even any drunk in any gutter (but not George McPhee) understand that the Caps desperately need.

But more than we need Eakin on the caps, we need to make sure he gets the proper seasoning and is allowed to dominate at the AHL level (and you can look it up, I was pointing it out all last summer, Perreault NEVER dominated at AHL and that's why I am on record as saying he's not NHL ready) before he gets tossed into the NHL cauldron.

BTW, I'm defrosting steaks for rockthered tomorrow night and I will pout TOP RED Tikal Patriota Mendoza (Argentina). If you can buy it, don't hesitate! Try Total Wine, they carry it.

signed, off my soap box,
tominsocal1

extra btw: I'll be off the blog for a bit another article in LA Times on CA budget reform I am in regular contact to the staunch liberal reporter who writes these things. No, I'm not a right-winger, just a fence sitter like everything else :) So I must write him in repsonse to today's article and I will tell him the state of california by God needs some bruising defensemen.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I have to tell you all, for road games, don't hesitate, 2007 Toasted Head Russian River Valley Reserve chardonnay. Like $10.97 at Total Wine. Wonderful tropical and oak flavors. Absolutely perfect for rocking the white. It was so good I had half Tuesday and then drank something else so I could save the other half for yesterday. We're not taking top white burgundy here nor a super chardonnay like Ch St Jean Robert Young Vineyard or St Francis Buehler but we're talking GOOD STUFF. If this wine were a hockey player, we'd be talking like Varly, really good value an entry level prices.

Buy now, before this wine becomes a UFA.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 10:39 PM | Report abuse

And you laugh at me when I'm drinkin! LMAO!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Tom - you never answered my question tho (GMGM statements about Corvo). ???? hethummm!!!!! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 11:14 PM | Report abuse

pokerface1208

hearing stastny and liles are available. you see the caps going after both

Posted by: samb99 | February 24, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

pokerface: Can't remember what McPhee said about Corvo, but whatever he did say, it was idiotic to be sure.

Remember, McPhee plays his cards so close to his vest that they are inside his lungs.

At least we're only 87 1/2 hrs to the dealine.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Send me the Cuervo - everyone knows the 1991 Minnesota North Stars with 68 points (sub .500) and 16th overall beat Mike Keenans Blackhawks in 6 games - the #1 ranked Hawks had 106 points....then they beat the Blues in the 2nd round - Blues had 105 points. The Stars were the most unlikely Stanley Cup Finalist ever. They had Mark Tinordi on that team.

Arguably for Chicago it was the most embarrassing letdown in NHL history. They made up for it the next year as they got to the SC Finals in 1992.

There could be one bigger (Kings over Oilers in 1982 maybe counts but it was 5 games) - but I watched that 1991 one. The Stars were just really solid defensively and played Devils style trap hockey 4 years before the Devils even invented it.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 24, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Tom - the "targeted" comment was GMGM talking about Corvo.

People are all up in arms b/c GMGM said that they had targeted Corvo and he was exactly what they were looking for essentially.

So everybody here takes that literally and then starts sayin GMGM's and idiot b/c he believes this garbage.

All it was was PR spin so Corvo didn't look like he was a "C/D" option.

My point is, knowing that changes a lil perspective eh?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope they are! Maybe include Green in the trade? maybe something like Green + Mp + 1st for Stastny and Liles?
Green hasn't exactly been lighting up the roof in the playoffs before for us and Liles is a lefty which we need for our PP. Green is due for a small raise in a year, resigning Liles could be a cheaper alternativ and we have Orlov 1-2 yrs away as a puckmoving D.
And Semin would finally play with a playmaking C on a nightly basis!

Posted by: Walle | February 25, 2011 12:03 AM | Report abuse

*Walle*
-----------------------------------------
Are you kidding me dude? He!! why not throw in OV & Backy for Duchesne too!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 25, 2011 12:24 AM | Report abuse

To answer your question, I really like Stastny but you can't give up 52 and expect Liles to fill that hole adequately. Stastny is a very nice player. It would take some assets to get him but it could happen. He's in the west. :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 25, 2011 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Whew. I stopped by to read the past few threads to get a sense of how the CI regulars felt about some of the names floating about and to hear any juicy trade rumors. Instead I've read a whole lot of insults and a lot of hypotheticals and misty rose-colored trips down memory lane.

Enjoyed the few voices of reason, including yours Pokerface. Fact is GMGM has had some good transactions and some bad in the trade department. And we all want something to happen because that 2nd line center hole is bigger than ever. But trading just to trade is silly. And trading away a piece that leaves a new hole to fill just to fill an existing one isn't going to solve the problem either. Nor we the only team sifting through a parse list of available and probably expensive centers

And lest we forget GMGM has dabbled with trades already when he brought Hannan in with enough time for him to get acclimated to the team. I am quite bullish on the Hannan acquisition. He's been a solid addition to the defensive corps.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2011 12:53 AM | Report abuse

In comparing Brendan Morrison and Eric Belanger to Perrault and Johansson, well, Morrison is certainly scoring at a much higher pace than either Perrault or Johansson, something like 0.64 points per game. Belanger is scoring at a pace of about 0.44 points per game. Perrault is at about 0.41 points per game and playing almost 5 minutes less per game than either Morrison or Belanger. Johansson is scoring at a rate of about 0.35 points per game at about 3 minutes less per game than Belanger and Morrison. Oh yeah, and Morrison is getting significantly more PP time than Johansson and somewhat more than Perrault (50 seconds more per game).

Morrison is basically his same self this year as he was last year, good for stretches and disappears for stretches. He picked up 15 points in his first 18 games this season and has 17 points in his last 15 games. That means he also went a strech of 29 games where he recorded only 7 points, by my math. To me, Morrison would have been an upgrade over both Perrault and Johansson for the regular season, but we already know that he disappeared in the playoffs last season, recording 1 assist in 5 games.

Belanger is clearly the 2nd line center in Pheonix, though he is often getting close to first line minutes, frequently 18 to 19 minutes a game, and yet is not really scoring at a much higher pace than Perrault. Oh yeah, in 62 games he has 3 power play points in about the same amount of TOI/game as Perrault, who has 3 power play points in 34 games.

I don't really see an advantage in having Belanger over Perrault, though I can buy the argument for Morrison, but I still think I would rather see Johansson get the experience that he has been getting this regular season.

If the Caps can somehow trade for Stastny, I think he could work out pretty well, possibly allowing Johansson or Perrault to switch over to a wing. It looks to me like Johansson is actually a very fast skater, possibly close to as fast as Chimera, and Perrault might be more effective on a 2nd line wing, maybe not as much a liability in the D zone - I could see a lines of

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin
Laich, Stastny, Perrault
Chimera, Johansson, Knuble/Fehr
Hendricks, Steckel, Bradley.

I actually think that the Caps may end up trading Knuble, though, if they think that Fehr is going to return anytime soon.

Posted by: piratusus | February 25, 2011 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Advantage Belanger over BMo and MP. He knows his way around the rink without the puck. MP needs to practice playing both ways, although he does work hard. A bit more seasoning perhaps?

Posted by: sca187 | February 25, 2011 1:28 AM | Report abuse

MoJo looks pretty damn good but he needs a mentor. Like many of these guys...

Posted by: sca187 | February 25, 2011 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2011 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Amen bruddah. Civility on CI in the 2010-11 season has trended downward faster than the power play.

Posted by: Justafan | February 25, 2011 5:16 AM | Report abuse

I've noticed a few posters complaining about the lack of "civility" recently, and not quite sure I understand it. This is a hockey blog, and anyone who posts an opinion here SHOULD BE READY to be taken to task; I expect nothing less.

Believe me, I know. If anyone has opened themselves up to scorn and ridicule here, it's probably been me. Y'all think its easy trying to make some of the arguments I do? It's a tough sell....

But I won't shy away from my job, I'll continue to think outside the box, and feel free to bring it as best you can, folks, because you won't offend my sensibilities :)

RAGS ARE GOING DOWN, GO CAPS!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 25, 2011 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'll put the same suggestion in the box today as I did yesterday. See if the Avalanche will dance again and move Stastny. Stastny would be a great 2nd line center for us. The only way this could happen is if Colorado is willing to take Semin which would then make this a salary swap. Semin is the only talent I'm willing to give up, I don't want to give up Green like some have suggested. By the time Stastny's contract is coming to an end he will either continue to be our answer at 2nd line center and we keep him or we move him because perhaps MaJo is ready and will be due a salary increase.

I am a Semin fan but believe strength down the middle and strong defense will get it done. I also believe moving Stastny isn't a salary issue for Colorado and getting a scorer like Semin with only 1 year left on his contract for the same salary is something they'd be willing to do.

Now it looks like we need to get a veteran goaltender too. Someone mentioned that yesterday. With Sabourin and Holtby injured we would have an ECHL backup if Varly or Neuvy get injured. We can't flirt with that.

I would only take Liles if it is a must to get the Stastny deal done but Green going, IMO, is not an option.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 25, 2011 7:46 AM | Report abuse

If you want civility, go to japers rink.

Posted by: Doom_and_Gloom | February 25, 2011 7:50 AM | Report abuse

fanohock,

Completely with you on acquiring Statsny for Semin but I think if that move is made they have got to acquire another top 6 winger as well. After all, who is Statsny going to set up, Fehr?? We aren't sue if/when he will be back and Laich hasn't looked good all year IMO.

I also say to roll the dice on the goalies, really can't afford another unless it is a very low paid vet back up.

Posted by: PhilR | February 25, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

With a flat out salary swap between Semin and Stastny it does give GMGM the lattitude to get a top 6 forward that can find the net IF there is one available. I would be OK with not acquiring a goaltender if Holtby would serve as the back-up but this other kid they have in Hershey (although he is fresh from DI) concerns me a little.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 25, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse

@doom_and_gloom: "If you want civility, go to japers rink."

Ha! Too funny. Actually I do go to Japers' because not only is it more civil but posters have fierce debates which I enjoy reading. There are plenty of regulars at Japers' with equally harsh tones and snappy comebacks but simply insulting those with a differing opinion and with nothing substantive to add to the debate is highly discouraged. "Disagree then make an argument" is the mantra there.

However there are many CI regulars who know a lot about hockey and who make really good arguments too so I like to stop by and check the temperature so to speak. I really did stop by hoping for behind the scenes info and was surprised by the degree of hostility in the threads of the past few days. Usually I just zip past the blowhards.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

Make an argument and I'll read it. My post was not necessarily directed at you. Me I like King. I think he's been helping both Hendricks and Bradley improve their fighting skills.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 25, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"However there are many CI regulars who know a lot about hockey and who make really good arguments too so I like to stop by and check the temperature so to speak..."- Capsyoungguns

Thanks, it's nice to know my talents are sought after. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 25, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse