Caps Have Some Fun

After this morning's practice, Coach Bruce Boudreau decided it was time for his players to have some fun. So he told goaltenders Jose Theodore and Simeon Varlamov to pick teams for a shootout competition.

Varlamov went first and, of course, drafted Alex Ovechkin. By the time the draft was over, Team Varlamov consisted of Ovechkin, Semin, Green and Fedorov, among others. As for Theodore, well, let's just say he drafted for character rather than skill. Theodore picked fellow Montreal native Donald Brashear with the final selection, drawing some laughs -- and a whack on the thigh from Brashear.

Needless to say, Varlamov's team won quite handily.

The point of the drill wasn't to work on the shootout. There's no shootout in the playoffs, obviously. Boudreau's aim was to keep things light and let the guys enjoy themselves after a tough practice.

"I just thought it was a little fun game that we could play," Boudreau said. "They were into it. But I wouldn't have done it if the practice hadn't gone as well as it did. I thought they practiced very well. So they deserved something like that."

As for Theodore's team selection, Boudreau cracked: "Evidently, the GM in him wasn't that good today."

On the Refs
One day after Rangers Coach John Tortorella questioned some of the calls in Game 1, Boudreau responded to Tortorella's comments this morning.

"I thought if everything was [called] properly, they should have had 12 or 13 penalties instead of the seven they had," Boudreau said. "In my humble opinion, the Mike Green [getting tripped by Sean Avery] thing was a penalty. They scored their second goal when they slashed Morrisonn's stick and broke it. It's tough for referees to get them all, but I definitely think they got the benefit of it."

Schultz Out
As I mentioned earlier, it looks like defenseman Jeff Schultz will miss Saturday's game with an undisclosed injury. He will be replaced by Brian Pothier, who will get into his first playoff game since 2005-06.

Chris Clark was assigned to a line this morning, skating with the Tomas Fleischmann-Michael Nylander-Eric Fehr trio. But it doesn't sound like he's going to play.

It's unclear whether Brashear will get in. He skated on the fourth line with David Steckel, Boyd Gordon and Matt Bradley

Drury Practices
I'm at KCI, but I'm told that Rangers captain Chris Drury is practicing with his teammates and looks ready to return after missing Game 1 with what's believed to be a lower body injury. He was on his usual line with Markus Naslund and Ryan Callahan.

That's it for now. Look for another webcam update in a few hours.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 17, 2009; 1:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'Theo Is Our No. 1 Goalie'
Next: Videos: Debate Mike Wise, Tarik Talks Defense

Comments

Varly and Brashear should start, Brash needs to be ready for MSG.

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 17, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see how this team plays with Brashear back in the lineup. Especially when Clark returns. They broth bring a lot of energy to the table and could bring the type of energy this team has been lacking in for awhile.

I'm ready for game 2!

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | April 17, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

From prev thread:

I think Varly will be in.
If I want the kid in the net, I would NOT tell him to the very last minute. Otherwise he'd lose his sleep and damage will be done.

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 17, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Rangers are still on the ice and they just got a scare.

Nik Antropov collided with Henrik Lundqvist during a drill, leaving the Rangers star netminder favoring his left arm/shoulder. Lundqvist hammered the glass with his stick in anger while noticeably stretching his left arm, which is his catching glove side.

But he stayed in net and didn't leave practice, so it can't be too bad. More on this later.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 17, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov will NOT start. As much as I would like him to. You have to give Theo another shot. If he lets in 2 or 3 easy ones then, even if the Caps win the game, he's out and Varly is in.

Posted by: ZMANN84 | April 17, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Lines at Rangers practice:

Sean Avery-Scott Gomez-Nik Antropov
Markus Naslund-Chris Drury-Ryan Callahan
Lauri Korpikoski-Brandon Dubinsky-Nikolai Zherdev
Fredrik Sjostrom-Blair Betts-Colton Orr

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 17, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

pretty obvious, theo will start.

Posted by: majiksea | April 17, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to say I'm glad about a player getting hurt, but I'm hoping Schultz's injury isn't serious, but serious enough that he will miss some games. Any word on his injury. I know they really don't tell anyone any injuries around playoff time though. I was wondering if it's more of an excuse just to take him out for next game though.

Posted by: Thomas32 | April 17, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

We already know Theo and Johnny make lousy GMs, but if Varly was serious, he should've picked Kozlov. ^_^

Posted by: koalatek | April 17, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Schultz being hurt isn't exactly the way I wanted him to be out of next game, but I will take it I guess.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

As said before, Schultz left game 1 with about 6 minutes to go.

Posted by: saintex | April 17, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

By Tarik El-Bashir | April 17, 2009; 2:02 PM ET

Hmmm...Pretty good stuff, TEB! So how do you do it? Issuing reports from the future? :)

Posted by: Greg S. | April 17, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Why are we hanging onto Chris Clark as if he's Peter Forsberg or something? It's been 2 years since he's produced anything and even when he was healthy he was no shining star. Give up on him already.

As for Schultz, it's best that he sits out too. After seeing his recent "fight" and then getting undressed on Wednesday night, it's clear that he's Hershey material along with Chris Clark.

Posted by: Digitalman08 | April 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Clark does things the rest of our forwards seem to lack. And when he is on, he can net 20-30 dirty goals a season. He is also our captain. We aren't counting on him for his skill, but rather his leadership and what he does in the crease.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

All the direct quotes I've read from BB over the past 2 days seem to me to indicate that theo starts, he is just consistent in not naming ANY player as a definite starter. For some reason some of the reporters interpret this as a hint that varly might get nod. I don't think so.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Clark hasn't been halthy, that's the problem. He can produce when he's not hurt. Unfortunately, he came into training camp with the tendon sheath issue, and then the stress fracture, and then tore the tendon sheath. And last season, of course, was the groin.

I hope he does get healthy, because I think he can still be a very productive player.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Richmondphil,
Good response on Clark. I am hoping he is game ready sooner than later. We need a little more help mucking things up in front of Henrik. We have a couple guys that will get in there, but not with consistency.

Posted by: _Mark | April 17, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@lyle

sounds like King Henrik is OK, and I'm sure he'll be in net tomorrow...but if it slows down his glove even the tiniest bit it can help. Hopefully Greener can get off one of his trademark top-shelf short side shots on the right wing at some point.

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 17, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Something to think about. If theo had made saves those shots from callahan and antropov they would have been highlight reel saves.
Unfortunately he didn't. Lets move on and see how he steps up his game because in the back of his mind he knows what is at stake

Posted by: hckyman | April 17, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Digitalman08 - Are you serious?

Posted by: superpaqman | April 17, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

There is a pretty good interview on Ovie on NHL.com.

Talks about what we all have been mulling over since Wednesday night.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

ONLY one more sleep until you guys go down 2-0.....Thank god for Ana cause you would have been the only home team to loose the opener! "FOUR!"

...OMG BB gives his players including SIT OUT SEMIN a day off yesterday!!!! today he lets them have some fun!...These guys will have plenty of fun when they tee off in another week!...

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie

Yes, this is the only thing that keeps me hesitant. It is also why I am still hesitant about Pothier, even if he is replacing Schultz.

Still, not playing many games or not, his experience and play in the crease should at least be enough to takeover some forward. I am a bit worried about his conditioning, but our stars (not Clark) see more ice time anyway, so it might balance out.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Great players when you give them a day off they show up anyway to maybe shoot some pucks!!!!! ZERO for 13!!!!!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Brian Burke is the greatest GM ever.

What is he going to overpay the Isles in order to get his Tavares?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Let's take a sec to give BB some props: the coach is the best in the NHL, bar none, imho, because of moves like today and yesterday. Give the guys a rest yesterday, work hard, play hard today, don't panic. Big things will happen tomorrow. The guy has wisdom well beyond his years of NHL experience.

Theo starts, bounces back enough without having to steal a win, and Bruce deserves Jack Adams (altho won't happen)...again.

Posted by: SiberianTiger1 | April 17, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

TOR paid over 500,000.00 dollars for a 4th round pick.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I would like the Blues guy to get the Jack Adams.

Remarkable season for them.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Probably...I think he over paid for Pronger! Leafs will need more help than a Tavares

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Pothier has had a few games and has been working on that conditioning for a couple months. He may not be ready for back to back nights but hopefully he is at least ready for every other night games.

Posted by: _Mark | April 17, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

When is the last time the Leafs made the playoffs?

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

True on the Blues coach. Getting to sixth was quite a feat. I also think some consideration should be to Hitchcock.

Posted by: saintex | April 17, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

SC1907: Shhhhh. I told you that no response is necessary now, but DON'T go away. I want you to hang around as the Caps navigate the through the playoffs. Just sit back and enjoy. Of course you get very quiet when the Caps put wins together.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 17, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

It's not really fun anymore now that he has been outed.

Though, i gotta ask. What kind of self-respecting Leafs fan is going to root for the Habs?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

saintex wants a win.

Posted by: saintex | April 17, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

What do the Leafs and the Titanic have in common?
They both look good until they hit the ice.

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Why don't the Leafs drink tea?
Because the Canadiens have all the cups.

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The guy has wisdom well beyond his years of NHL experience.

Posted by: SiberianTiger1 | April 17, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

BB? The Guy WAS a PRO minor leaguer at best!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

One day, this guy was sitting in a bar having a drink. All of a sudden he's startled by three Toronto Maple Leafs hockey players cheering, "Fifteen! Fifteen!" He ignores them and continues to drink.
About 5 minutes later, the hockey players again cheer, "Fifteen! Fifteen!"

At this, the guy then walks over and asks them why they keep cheering, "Fifteen! Fifteen!"

The hockey players respond, "Well, we went to Walmart and bought this jigsaw puzzle, which we put together in 15 weeks! Considering that the side of the box said 3-5 years."

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

BB? The Guy WAS a PRO minor leaguer at best! - sounds like Cherry...

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

forty...what? three?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Of course you get very quiet when the Caps put wins together.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 17, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

YOU tell me i talk too much than you say this LOL ......Your just too EASY fanohock1. GO LAY DOWN! LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Finger signed for 3.5 mil/yr

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Franchise scoring leader leaving you because you suck?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Im sure glad you guys are "CUP COUNTING"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Keep 'em coming 828

Posted by: Steve_R | April 17, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

A first grade teacher explains to her class that she is a Leaf fan. She asks her students to raise their hands if they were Leaf fans too. Not really knowing what a Leaf fan was but wanting to be like their teacher, their hands explode into the air like fleshy fireworks.

There is, however, one exception. One girl has not gone along with the crowd. The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different. "Because I'm not a Leaf fan."

Then, asks the teacher, what are you?

"Why I'm proud to be a Montreal Canadien fan," boasts the little girl.

The teacher is a little perturbed now, her face slightly red. She asks the girl why she is a Canadien fan.

"Well, My Dad and Mom are Canadien fans, and I'm a Canadien fan too."

The teacher is now angry. "That's no reason," she says loudly. "What if your Mom was a moron, and your dad was a moron. What would you be then?"

A pause, and a smile. "Then," says the girl, "I'd be a Leaf fan."

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

SC1907, Toronto? TORONTO?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ha

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Not trading Kaberle at the deadline was the best move ever.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Phil, would that be years since the Leafs won the Cup?

Posted by: Steve_R | April 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Franchise scoring leader leaving you because you suck?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse
Your going to have to explain this one

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Ya, you guys have more than any other team except the Habs. What of it?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Hmm! I can see the merit of having Theo start. He does deserve one more start and BB needs to know for sure whether or not to rely on him. But to affirm that he is his number one goalie, presumably no matter what? Unless he said it to boost Theo's confidence, he must either let loyalty trump team performance or have a brilliant strategy we are not understanding.

Of course if Theo had a repeat performance, the decision in favor of Varly would be much easier.

In a way, I am a little more concerned if he has a great game or two, BB commits to him and then he has a cold streak. This is what he has done all year, which is probably why BB & GM did not see an urgency to look for a great goaltender. A few weak performances would start making us all nervous but, before we would give up on him, Theo would have a streak of great performances.

So suppose he wins the next three games and loses the last three. By the time BB decides that a loss was not an isolated one but a pattern, it would be too late to get out of the hole and, besides, Varly would not have had any practice.

I just have to assume that the coaches are far wiser than me and know what they are doing. But this is may nagging anxiety for today.

Also, did someone (maybe Tarik) say that there are no shootouts in playoffs? How do they deal with ties?

Posted by: caraveli | April 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

What do you call 30 millionaires around a TV watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

The Toronto Maple Leafs

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

you ppl keep on trying to PIN a team on me...DAH Hello you non hockey NO CUP fans
I dint have a FAV. Team ...I love the game and the great players ...not a team..

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

What do you call a Toronto Maple Leaf with a Stanley Cup ring?

A thief.

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and possums have in common?

Both play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

What was the score of the Leafs' Game 1, anyway? I must have missed it...

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 17, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Why? Because you guys wanted to dump him and he didn't want to be a rental?
Let me rephrase.

Franchise scoring leader being shat on by his team, only to go to a strong Cup contender.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

you ppl keep on trying to PIN a team on me...DAH!!! Hello you non hockey NO CUP fans
I don't have a FAV. Team ...I love the game and the great players ...not a team..

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@caravell. They just keep playing 20 minute ots till someone wins

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

they just keep playing until someone scores. 20 minute periods, 5-on-5, with 17 minute intermissions between periods, just like the first 3. Games could go all night if no one scores.

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caraveli | April 17, 2009 2:13 PM |

Is this a serious question?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Sounds to me like the Yankees embarrassing themselves is causing all the New Yorkers to jump on the Rags bandwagon. Honestly, I've never seen such premature unabashed congratulatory chest bumping in the NY media in years. Not even when the Giants won. It strikes me as amazing for a city with such a rich sports tradition that their sports beat can be so ignorant. I blame it on the economy.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think BB is taking full advantage of this goalie "controversy" by not being specific on his choice for Saturdays' starter. Think about it, the Rags need to prepare for two possibilities, the Caps only for Henrik. You think BB is a mean poker player?

Posted by: pacapsfan | April 17, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Duff ...pssstt the leafs didnt make the playoffs!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@828
That teacher is mad because the girl's parents aren't contributing to her pension.

SIXTY-SEVEN

Posted by: koalatek | April 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@ snakegriffin

HA! love the name, dude.

Could we also call you Artemis or Agent Buckwald?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Those west coast triple overtime games are killers during the post-season!

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

That's all I got for now...

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caraveli

Um... whiskey tango foxtrot?

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

If I was a Washington Fan I wouldnt be bringing up baseball right about now! LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@ VTDuffman

I go by either ;)

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not trying to be a d*** or anything, but I sincerely did not know if that was sarcasm or not.

Question has been answered.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

That girl's brilliant!

Posted by: Greg S. | April 17, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

It's funny though, she says she appreciates great players and yet bashes Ovechkin, Semin, and Green...

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@ 828 stop I can't stand up

@caraveli, come on , they play till one team wins, no ties

Posted by: billd2 | April 17, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caraveli

(shaking head) See what I have to put up with in here!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907

But you're a Toronto fan. Isn't it past your tee time?

Posted by: Greg S. | April 17, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@ SC

Not a Nats fan... I'm a transplant from upstate NY. Always been a Sox fan. Adopted the Caps when I moved here because our captain is an alumni of my university. I'm a general hockey fan, though.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"Those west coast triple overtime games are killers during the post-season!"

It wasn't a West Coaster, but I still remember my Freshman Year of College (1999-2000 Season) staying up and watching a (I think) Pens-Flyers game that I want to say went to like 5 or 6 overtimes, it was sick.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 17, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

baseball in Washington is expected to, and supposed to, be awful.

Baseball in New York? Let's just say watching a $1 billion payroll implode wasn't in the plans. It warms my little black heart to watch the Yankees fail.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 17, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@VT

I recall back when the Stars were in the Finals against Buffalo there were some epic OT games... so hard to stay awake! I was always of the opinion that Hull's goal was allowed simply because the refs wanted to go to bed.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

well in a week you guys wont have to worry about staying up late or overtime ...."FOUR"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

yeah, Caps/Pens OT games were long too

Posted by: billd2 | April 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Bring that up to any Sabres fan. They will let you know how epic it was, haha. It is what I bring up to any of my BUF friends who want to go at it.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Man, caraveli and I have have some rouses over the team but I didn't know everyone would jump your stuff for that question. Maybe they are five minute periods...it was a pretty normal question.

We need a win or this place will 'splode.

saintex, out.

Posted by: saintex | April 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

here is a amazing stat!!!! SEMIN has played every playoff game this season...ooops check that ...He has been dressed for every playofff game!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@sc1907, in the context you are using it, it is "Fore!" Surptised a Toronto fan wouldn't know that.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 17, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@mikebrady!

Oh, now I get it. I honestly had no clue what he was talking about with the "Four" thing. It was a golf reference?

Wow.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@ saint

Well I think the DC area in general could use a lot of hockey education, from arena etiquette to rules. I'm all for gaining new fans, but it's very comical to see someone expound upon the goalie quandary and then not know how overtimes are handled.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

or is it a play on words...fore=FOUR as in 4 games! geez do i have to explain EVERYTHING

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

SC1907

You say you are a fan of "great players" so I have to ask who? All I have ever heard from you is bs ragging on players who have the top stats in the league. Not sure how you qualify your "great players" but please, induldge me and actually give a coherent, well thought out response.

And while you're giving the whole "neurons firing to create coherent thoughts" thing a try, why is it that you spend so much time on this board if you hate the Caps so much? I mean honestly, your hate for Semin cannot account for how much time you spend on here.

Posted by: mrszilla | April 17, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907, since you never make sense, yes

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 17, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

It's because he's a tool.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907:
so you're just a hockey fan - no favorite team. that's good. do you go to 30 different sites and try to taunt all hockey fans or do you exclusively enjoy your pastime with only caps fans?
if it is the latter - i'm glad you like our company.
you are entertaining to me though

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Hmm... SC1907, I think Semin only played one playoff game this postseason. I think the other teams used their own players although I am sure they wish they had our Semin.

Posted by: _Mark | April 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about baseball!! Next one that brings it up is gonna get smacked. See ya in 160 games when it means something.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 17, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

He isn't fun anymore. He has been outed.

Sc1907, just register a new account with a new name and ride a different shtick. It will do us all a favor..more humor for us, more self-righteous internet justice for you!

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

100th!!!

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 17, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I think SC1907 HAS to be a Crosby lover. That would explain his hate on Semin because of the Crosby comments, and his hate on Ovi because, let's face it, Ovi is the better player.

Posted by: dfe1 | April 17, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

You don't think SC1907 lives in Mario's basement with Crosby, do you?

Posted by: _Mark | April 17, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

SC's Maple Leafs (his favorite team) didn't even make the playoffs! Hahahaha!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

dfe1:
that's what i always thought.
maybe he's just crosby's 'slow' little brother and wants to annoy the fans of the best player in the leauge.
that's my theory and it makes as much since as he does - so it must be so
mark my words - "FOUR"
sc1907's a funny guy (or gal)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

How's about this for positive thinking. Anyone got an extra ticket for next Friday 24th? I'm down on business from Montreal and can make it to the game. It would be nice to see us win our 4th game in a row!
Email me at ronlow at ymail.com

Posted by: Kiltmon | April 17, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm convinced SC07 is actually Tarik and/or Lindsay. They sign on here to schtick it up and generate traffic on the blog (It's the 2nd most visited blog I think I heard?)

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 17, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@Kiltmon

Though it is easier to find them in pairs, you can find some on stubhub that are still available.

Boo, Dave, and others will be able to help you on this matter more, as they actually attend a bunch of caps games.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Capt Kirk,
Yeah, I think he's just upset that not only is Ovi the better player, he's also got a great personality. And let's face it, Crosby has the personality of a wet blanket covered in mud. SC is obviously Canadian, and he can't stand the fact that a lot of Canadians seem to prefer Ovi over Crosby. He was probably throwing up when he found out that they picked Ovi for the Canadian Energizer ads.

Posted by: dfe1 | April 17, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Thanks i'll give stubhub a try, I'll happily take a spot from a rags fan and Rock the Red. If any of the others have a spare ticket they can email me. I arrive in DC on Tues (didn't know the schedule when i booked the flights and of course they play at MSG) Also any good haunts to watch the away games welcome.

Posted by: Kiltmon | April 17, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The one good thing about being stuck in Denver for the first two home playoff games is that it's snowing.

I also have a good spot to watch Saturday's game from, so those of you in the Phone Booth scream extra loud for me. :)

@Boo: I finally saw your comment re: being positive, but have been sparse due to class requirements. You finally noticed :)

It is too early to put Varly in net. If you put him in net now, you are committing to him for the rest of the playoffs because you will not get Theo back on an even keel. It's too early to hit the panic button yet, and putting Varlamov in net is hitting the panic button. If Theo isn't sharp in Game 2, then go for it, but give Theo another shot first. I think he'll bounce back - if he doesn't, he'd better be ordering a supply of baseball caps, and I'd bet that he knows it.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@Kittmon,

I can get you one at face value. How much you want to spend?

Posted by: saintex | April 17, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Kittmon,

I e-mailed you with details.

Posted by: saintex | April 17, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

if torontowas my team, id tell everyone i didnt have a favorite team, too.

Posted by: oo7 | April 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Snake, What the heck is arena etiquette?? Whats that suppose to mean??? Is there a book on it?? Arena etiquette??? Some people dont know all the hockey rules or how OT is run in the playoffs, BY ALL MEANS please educate ALL DC fans. I tell ya what! The class is being taught at the Spectrum in Philly, bring your track shoes and a fresh pair of underwear. d-bag!!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

sc1907,

Four...? And you bust out chops?

Posted by: Steve_R | April 17, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Arena etiquette:

1. If you're in an upper level seat, you don't lean forward blocking the view of everyone behind you. 2. When an opposing player is injured, it's customary to applaud when they leave the ice. 3. You don't boo when the ref stops play on a puck played with a high stick or a hand pass. 4. You don't get up and leave your seat when the puck is in play. Those are just a few of the egregious things I've seen here that you don't see in other arenas (save for maybe Philly, we all know they're a different breed). I'm all for education, it makes watching the game (at home or at Verizon) and discussing it on here a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

For those wondering.

In playoff hockey, OT is treated as a sudden death regular period. That's a 20 min break followed by up to a 20 minute period. Repeat until someone scores.

The longest game was Detroit vs the Montreal Morons, er, Maroons in 6 OT periods with 176:30 minutes played in '36. The Caps vs Pitts game comes in 5th with 4 OT periods in '96. Pens won.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 17, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing better to do than to troll the boards of NHL teams that are actually good... With "studs" like Sid and Geno I can't wait to watch my Pittsburgh Rainbows, uh I mean Penguins, get their ass kicked by the Caps again!

Posted by: StanleyCup19O7 | April 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:37 PM |

On second thought... maybe it's fore as in "foreskin", you know, my breakfast of choice

Posted by: StanleyCup19O7 | April 17, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@snakegriffin, I sit really close to the glass and the one that drives me bat #%^ is people (typically in the corporate seats ahead of me) who stand when an interesting play starts happening in front of us but play is still going on. SIT DOWN. I've tugged on people, asked them, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This is probably the 100 level version of your # 1.

One other one: PLEASE do not throw crap on the ice, especailly beer. (Even if the Caps lose in game 7 in overtime because of a bad call.) If I had a dollar for every time some nimrod threw something that hit the netting and ended up in the first couple rows, I would be very rich - but I would still be wet and smell of beer.

(Minor exception for hat tricks, but please throw sensibly.)

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 17, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 17, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:20 PM |

Another point on this, my Pittsburgh (Butt)Pirates are the envy of every other MLB franchise out there

Posted by: StanleyCup19O7 | April 17, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 2:32 PM |

My bad guys, I thought by Semin you meant what Sid drops on the small of my back every night

Posted by: StanleyCup19O7 | April 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry we ALL can't be perfect, Snake. AND I'M not convinced the things you mentioned DO NOT happen all over. In Dallas the attendance stands most of the game. In Philly you plain get an a$$ whoopin. Lifes too short man,

Posted by: bhound69 | April 17, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

OldtimeHockey, you sound like those cry baby NYR fans on the Daily News blog. I'm used to standing the whole game in the freezing cold at FedEx, so I cannot sympathize with your 5 seconds of inconvenience, when a person make a decision to stand up and blocks your precious view. wahhhahha Stay home!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 17, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@saintex
@richmondphil

Thanks for the info guys, got my tix and will be Rockin the Red Sect109 Row T.

Any info on good watering holes to watch the MSG games next week welcome.

Go caps!

Posted by: Kiltmon | April 17, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup19O7, you spell very well for a middle school student. however, you will find that a world of humor opens up to comedians when they move on from orifice, body fluid, gay sex jokes.

your obsession with one body part is one reason why your jokes are weak. there is a reason freud put that psychosocial stage at age 2.

Posted by: am_jim | April 17, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Avery is an instigator that keeps people's head up. Washington bites and the Rangers will win. Every team needs it's Clark Gilles types to win and Avery happens to be the Ranger guy. The Islanders have slid a long way from a Hall of Fame Edmonton team taking away the fifth championship to getting the top pick. The hot goaltender will win this series in my viewpoint. I go with the Rangers.

Posted by: jameschirico | April 18, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse