Caps have their man in net as playoffs open

Morning roundup

A quick collection of morning links to get the day started (late start means short roundup, but it'll be super sized tomorrow):

*Some predictions/outlook from Tarik as the NHL playoffs open tonight.

*Jose Theodore will start in goal for the Caps' playoff opener against Montreal, but it's different this time, swear!

*Googling can be so dramatic. (Peerless)

*Another Alex Ovechkin profile. Frankly, it doesn't even get old. (USA Today)

*Not Your Regular Presidents' Trophy Winner. (DC Landing Strip)

*Alexander Semin: Caps in four, please. (Japers' Rink)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 14, 2010; 9:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPL video: Caps playoffs edition
Next: Nicklas Backstrom practicing

Comments

I think this is a good matchup for the Caps. I hope they take advantage and win in a short injury-free series.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 14, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Tarik/Lindsay-

What is the latest word on Backstrom? Still questionable/probable, or is that no longer an issue? Tarik's Tweet and ESPN.com reported BB said that yesterday, but that has not been printed here in the WaPo, as far as I can tell? Do we just have to wait to see if he practices today? What is the deal? Inquiring Caps fan minds want to know.

Posted by: chevychase10 | April 14, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Relax... let Backstrom get some rest. Having everyone ask constantly isn't going to get him better.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 14, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Rach, why not root for Pittsburgh?

I want our road to the Cup to go through them, just as theirs went thru us last year.

We need to exorcise these Pitt demons.

Beat the best to be the best, and shut ALL DOUBTERS up!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr

I see your point wtf, but my thing is it doesn't matter WHO we face, just as long as we win 16 games. You face the team that's given to you. There was and has been a long discussion about whether we must go through Pittsburgh or not. If we went through them to get the Cup it would be sweet, no doubt but the Cup wouldn't be any less sweeter if we didn't face Pittsburgh. But I would love nothing more than for them to lose to the Sens! We shall see! ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 14, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Beat the best to be the best, and shut ALL DOUBTERS up!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr

How does Pittsburgh enter into that? We already swept them, everyone knows we're better.

Seriously though, it doesn't matter at all who we have to beat to get to the Cup, we just have to beat 4 teams 4 times each. If we go through the Pens, fine. If they aren't good enough to make it to us, fine. I'm rooting for them to lose to the Sens, to shut their fans up.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 14, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering if maybe the Caps should start Theo at home and Varly on the Road. Keeps theo out of the montreal chaos and varly can always so No habla english when in montreal.

Posted by: RichC3 | April 14, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how Backstrom is feeling? Is he hurt or sick?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 14, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Someone on a previous post said that the Swedish media reported is was a cold. It would have to be very serious to keep Backstrom out of the opener, so I think he'll play.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 14, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Corey just twitted that Backstrom is on the ice for practice.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 14, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse