Caps Hire Woods as Assistant Coach

The Caps have promoted Bob Woods from Hershey to Washington, where he will join his good friend, Bruce Boudreau, behind the bench. Woods, a former defenseman, replaces Jay Leach and presumably will work with the defense (that had been Leach's responsibility).

Woods guided the Bears to the Calder Cup earlier this month and was an assistant under Boudreau when Hershey claimed the title in 2006. Woods replaced Boudreau behind the Bears' bench when Boudreau was promoted to Washington in November 2007.

Woods, like Boudreau when he was promoted, has no prior NHL coaching experience.

Woods, Boudreau and GM George McPhee are scheduled to speak to reporters later this afternoon. So check back for an update on the hire.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 22, 2009; 11:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Photos: Ovechkin & Co. in Vegas
Next: McPhee Doubts Caps Will Play in Winter Classic

Comments

Posted by: Andoy | June 22, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Awesome.

Can it be July 1 yet?

Posted by: thiazzi | June 22, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

So, how long will it be till the Capitals are the Hershey Bears plus Semin, Backstrom and Ovy?

Great move by the team.

Posted by: EricS2 | June 22, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I really like this move. Great for team cohesion.

Posted by: blackandred777 | June 22, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

And suddenly next season looks more and more bright! Congrats, Mr. Bob Woods! Welcome to the team!!!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 22, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

This opens up a plum AHL Head Coach position: two calder cups in 3 years and a finalist in the other in the best AHL franchise anywhere. People should line up for the job.

Posted by: RinkRaith | June 22, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Any articles Caps-centic about who might be available around our draft pick? 24 can be a quality or better pick for the Caps.

Posted by: lornemyoung | June 22, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how I feel about this move. I'm sure Bob is a great coach seeing as how he won the Calder cup this year, but I wonder if it would have been better to keep him in Hershey to be our development man. I guess I won't be able to say anything until I see how our D is run (if that's his job).

Posted by: superpaqman | June 22, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

there's a HUGE post up on Japers' Rink about this very subject. I won't even try to summarize it.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 22, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Rock the Wood!

Posted by: SA-Town | June 22, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice - more champions behind the bench!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | June 22, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

per John Walton in Hershey:

"Capitals vice president and general manager George McPhee, head coach Bruce Boudreau and assistant coach Bob Woods will be available to the media on a conference call at 3 p.m. ET today, June 22, to discuss Woods’s appointment as assistant coach. After approximately 15 minutes McPhee will remain on the line to discuss this weekend’s NHL Entry Draft."

Hope Tarik gives us a transcript of that conference call...

Posted by: tess2201 | June 22, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can get the phone number to the conference call and can all call in to listen!

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 22, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I would (no pun intended) rather had them sign a coach with more experience. As a Hershey Bear season ticket holder, he was not beloved, to his credit he won the Calder Cup, but he had an all star talented team. I don't about this guys.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | June 22, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RedBirdie. I'll check that out when I'm not at work. I can sorta excuse looking at the Wash Post.

I also would like to see more from the Post on the draft. It's barely mentioned.

Posted by: lornemyoung | June 22, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@TheSmurfs
I'm a Bears season-ticket holder, and I think it's a good move. The big complaint I heard about Woody is that he was emotional enough. People expected him to be fired-up and outgoing like Bruce and he's not. But that's not saying that the calm persona we saw behind the bench was the same persona he had in the locker room. By all accounts, the players loved him. He and Bruce have a great history together. It's a good move.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 22, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Correction: That should read: NOT emotinal enough...

Posted by: tess2201 | June 22, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

TheSmurfs:
He was not beloved? Do tell ...

Posted by: Boo- | June 22, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I say... Dale Hunter for coach of Hershey! :-D

Posted by: sargeantmofo | June 22, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@TheSmurfs: What you really mean, right, is that you and the small, but vocal, minority of Bears fans, of which you are a part, did not love him?

Posted by: bearsgoalie | June 22, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

This ought to make the defensemen more comfortable in the transition - hopefully they will transition with Woods (Alzner and Carlson) as well as Green, Laich, Steckel, ... etc. did under Boudreau.

Posted by: cwiseman | June 22, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Santa:

please bring us the second coming of Scott Stevens or Rod Langway...thank you.

Posted by: outrbnksm | June 22, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I like that bruce and bob are back together again, they know each other, they know how the other operates and they know how to improve. I think the Caps should take a hint and see B's in multiples is a very good thing. Bob and Bruce and hopefully Bradley, Bourque and Beagle...I LIKE IT!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | June 22, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

i think this is a great move for the caps.they got gtreat cemistry together and r both winning coaches plus the players love them.so its a win-win situation.go caps!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | June 22, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Tarik
So who is replacing Woods in Hershey.
Could it be the 'Rays coach? After all he has his name on the Kelly Cup 3 times, maybe time for him to move up.

Posted by: jotay131 | June 22, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Also, I think the Caps should go after Khabibulin to anchor goal and mentor Varlamov (both are Russians) a la Hasek and Osgood several years back. Buyout Theodore and let him loose. If Khabibulin is in the fold, Johnson is the odd man out as well. Draft another goalie in later rounds to backup Holtby in Hershey (assuming Neuvirth spells Tavares).

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | June 22, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Boo and I had been tossing this back and forth a while back. I was luke warm on him coming up. Not because I didn't think he would have problems here. It's who would be his replacement that concerned me. I liked Woods in Hershey. He knows how Coach B likes to play and can develop his kiddies in Hershey accordingly. Nice thing having him in DC is that half the team skated under him, so they know him and how he likes to work.

Great move for Woods. Great move for the Caps players. Good move for the Caps org. We'll have to see how it all shakes out in Hershey.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 22, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Kelley Miller for head coach and president of the USA!!!!!

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | June 22, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

YAY for Woods! Good move Caps! Now keep it up for free agency!

Posted by: NatyBG | June 22, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Why would the Islanders want Neuvirth? They have DiPietro under contract for another 10 or 11 years. Besides that, it would take a heck of a lot more to get in the No 1 slot besides Neuvirth, your probably talking 2 players 2 top prospects.

Posted by: topshelf | June 22, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

bearsgoalie: you took the words right out of my mouth--er fingers. Plenty of folks in Hershey loved Bob - as a player and coach! He has a different style than Bouds - yes. But they are both winners! Congrats, Woodsy!

Posted by: bearslover | June 22, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trade Neuvy for anything. What is Varly turns out to be Jim Carey 2.0? (perish the thought!)

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 22, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"John Tavares could be a big answer for us -- another big, high-scoring center. Wonder if Neuvirth is enough to swap places with the Islanders."
Posted by: Political_Stratgst | June 22, 2009 4:00 PM

Please say you 'stratergize' for the Republicans...
DiPietro is signed for eternity with the Islanders.
And Mike Milbury hasn't been the GM there in a few years.

Posted by: cleanfront | June 22, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@Political_Stratgst

I don't think Neuwirth would be sufficient payment for Tavares. He did great in the Calder Cup but I doubt if the Isles would want him that badly. They probably would demand Semin at the very least.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 22, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't worry about Varly turning out to be another Jim Carey. Carey never had a good game in the playoffs.

If the Caps are gonna trade one or more of their top prospects like Neuvy, it had better be for a veteran player who can help them right now... not for anyone in the draft who won't be able to help them for at least 2 years.

There are no sure things in the draft, not even the top 2 or 3 players, especially in a year like this one when there is no clear cut number one player.

Posted by: joek443 | June 22, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Don't kid yourself...if the Caps could trade Neuvy this year for a top 5 pick he would be gone in a NY second.....

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | June 22, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

@ Capsfannmiss
Yes, the Kings would go for a trade at the 5 spot. But no one above the 5th would think about it without another Caps player packaged.
While the Avs are questionable at goalie they want the pick (probably Duchene) at 3.

Posted by: cleanfront | June 23, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I think Woods is a good coach. I think some people complained about him was, because he took over for a legend in the AHL. He had massive shoes to fill. Everybody loved Bruce and Woods was the adopted son. If you would go on Pennlive.com a lot of people were sour to him for some reason. I would have like to see them get an experienced coach or defensive player from the NHL. A guy like Larry Robinson or even someone like Rod Langway, but Langway might be to much of a shadow over Bruce. I know Schoenfeld (mispelled0 is with the Rangers, but he does a great job with what he has. Remember when the Devils had Robbie Fotrik (mispelled) They replaced him with Larry Robinson. Scott Stevens said, who would know more, Larry Robinson or Robbie? With the weakness being defense on this team, I just don't know if this is a good fit.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | June 23, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse