Caps Host Huet, 'Hawks in Home Opener

Although the schedule won't be announced until tomorrow, the NHL allowed its clubs to release a sneak peek this afternoon.

And here's what we know: the season will kick off with a pair of juicy storylines.

The Caps will open the season on Oct. 10 in Atlanta, where best friends Bruce Boudreau and John Anderson, the new coach of the Thrashers, will face each other as NHL coaches for the first time.

Then one night later, former Caps goalie Cristobal Huet and his new Chicago teammates will watch Washington raise its Southeast Division championship banner at Verizon Center.

Can you say awkward? The game will also feature all three of last year's rookie of the year finalists, Pat Kane, Nicklas Backstrom and Jonathan Toews.

The Caps also revealed they'll play Western Conference teams Nashville, Columbus and Los Angeles home and away.

As for when Olie Kolzig will make his return, you'll have to wait until tomorrow before you can circle that date on the calendar.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 16, 2008; 2:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schedule Sneak Peek Today
Next: Caps Release 2008-09 Schedule

Comments

Posted by: I own this blog | July 16, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Nashville and Columbus? Ugh! As if seeing enough garbage teams as part of Southeastern conference weren't bad enough.

Posted by: Caps fan | July 16, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Road trip to DC for the 11th!!!! Now the question is...to boo or not to boo Huet?

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | July 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan

while its nice to see other good teams here, those teams arent that great equals a chance for 12 points. dont complain.

Posted by: Pat | July 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@ Pat

Caps could also rack up 12 points with 6 games against Hershey. Doesn't mean I would pay to watch it. I'd much rather see games against decent teams from established hockey cities.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

the Hockey Gods smile upon us. A feast! LA and Columbus? TWICE?! Washington is all but being handed the SE on the platter with those.

Posted by: Birdie | July 16, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

You get half the western conference coming here and we go away to play half of them under the format. Good teams will be coming here so you can see them. We play those 3 twice, that is all.

Posted by: Pat | July 16, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Huet is going to get booed UNMERCIFULLY!

Posted by: Roose | July 16, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I can live with LA twice. Anze is fun to watch, Brown too.

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Nashville & Columbus garbage ?

You had better hope BB and team does not think the same, otherwise they lose.

Hitchcock can prepare an ECHL team well enough to hang with the Caps.
Nashville always shows up.

You people are blind.
LA ? Yes, they suck.

Posted by: Chief | July 16, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

So pat

Because the Caps are playing 2 western conference teams that they have a good chance of beating, means they are going to win the SE division?

You logic does not make sense

Posted by: Tommmy | July 16, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

With this personnel and this schedule this is easily a 100+ point team. We got to 90 last year and only played the last 2/3 like we meant it.

Posted by: IHeartOvie | July 16, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I hope we light Huet up like bad neighbor's terrible halloween decorations!

Posted by: CapsCorndog | July 16, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

are we booing Cristobal?

when Olie comes to town what are we doing there?

Posted by: dbfreudber | July 16, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I now have a new handle. :)

Posted by: is it september yet? | July 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think Pat forgot that the other 29 teams have to play games this season too

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@ tommy,
what are you talking about? where did i mention that in either of my posts?

Your logic makes no sense in deducing that from my comments. My point is the three western conf teams we play twice are odds of getting more poitns is better than playing Detroit, Dallas and San Jose twice.

Points are points. I mention nothing about division titles. So have some common sense and the ability to read before you say stuff like that.

Posted by: Pat | July 16, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

also, i'm feeling another broken nose outing for Ovi vs. Cristobal

Posted by: dbfreudber | July 16, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan

It sounds like expansion to you equals crap.

Nashville's not that bad of a team and I'm definitely not shrugging off the opportunity to see Nash in action.

Posted by: keef | July 16, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Id rather see Detroit San Jose and Dallas

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for opening our eyes with your words of wisdom Chief.

We look forward to more pearls of knowledge from you.

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Well I won't be booing Huet. Without him, we weren't in the playoffs. Period. Chicago offered him more money. He had no binding ties to Washington. Chicago's a great city too. So he chose to go to with the money. You really can't boo him for that. He has to have been one of Washington's all time best rental players.

And I'll cheer for Olie too, well, at least I won't boo him. He stunk last year, but so what. He handled his demotion with class. So what that he didn't return McPhee's phone call after the season.

Posted by: 20007 | July 16, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@ Keef

Yes, I believe it's crap that the NHL gave franchises to Columbus and Nashville. I would like to see the league contract by about 6-7 teams.

Posted by: Caps fan | July 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd be VERY disappointed if Olie didn't receive a standing ovation the next time he takes the ice at the booth.

But chances are that he might not be on the ice the next time he visits.

Posted by: keef | July 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd boo Kolzig anytime

Posted by: Finn | July 16, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The bottom line is that I can not boo Olie. Yeah, he left town, but remember that 95% of players do. It will be cruddy to see him in another jersey, but that's the business of the sport.

Posted by: RobMonroe | July 16, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I actually agree with Chief, Nashville is a solid team, they probably played Detroit tougher than any one of Detroit's other opponents in the playoffs.

Posted by: nhcaps | July 16, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Detroit plays Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Atlanta twice.

Posted by: Pat | July 16, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Does it really matter who we play or see?? We will all be paying to watch either at the Phone Booth in DC or on satellite TV. I just want hockey to start and for the record Nashville is not that bad....I would rather see Detroit, San Jose and Dallas also, but only because some of my favorites play for those teams. As for Huet, he should get rudely booed and as for Kolzig, he doesn't deserve to get booed.
I think Tampa is going to be hard to handle this year - I'm just saying it now before we start the season, I can't believe the re-structure there - WOW!!!!

Posted by: Greenie | July 16, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who boos Kolzig should not be calling themselves a true Caps fan. He gave everything to the team through a lot of tough times, won a Vezina, and played a huge role in rebuilding the Caps through four coaches and WAY TOO MANY bad squads. Anyone who doesn't complain when Joel Kwiatkowski and Jason Doig are paired in front of them should be commended anyway.

As for Huet, I could see going either way. On one hand, 3 great weeks as a Cap. On the other, he's French, bailed on D.C. for more money, and used to stonewall the Caps, anyway. Plus, he's French. Boo Away.

Posted by: Geremy | July 16, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Any dates for the games besides the openers?

Posted by: Scott | July 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig is a very selfish guy, who also is a psycho.

Posted by: Finn | July 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Huet gets booed because the Caps met his terms & he still tried a power play to get more $.

Hope you enjoy the kielbasa and perogies in that he@@ hole Chicago.

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Finn, he's gone, it's ok to lighten up on Olie now.

Cheer him for his years of service when he comes back to town & cheer every goal he lets in. It's all good.

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Steve R

Posted by: Pat | July 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Don't mean to be a big Huet defender, but compare him with Hossa. Hossa took LESS money to go to Detroit rather than stay with the Penguins. Now that's a guy who deserves to be booed (well, in Pittsburgh anyway, that's worthy of a cheer for Hossa if Detroit ends up coming here). Huet didn't turn his nose up at us like Hossa did to the Pens. It's just not boo-worthy, and to cheer for the guy would even show some class.

Posted by: 20007 | July 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I won't boo Olie, but I'll sure as heck get in on the "O-LIE! O-LIE! O-LIE" chants after we bang 5 pucks past him (3 glove side high followed by 2 five hole) in the first period of the first game we see him.

Posted by: StikSav | July 16, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@2007

I completely disagree with your logic. Hossa should be applauded for taking less money to try to win a championship. That means the game means something to him and its not completely about money.

Posted by: Pat | July 16, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Don't boo Huet. But maybe a "Welcome Back to Town Mrs. Huet" sign is in order.

Posted by: Ben | July 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll cheer for Olie and Huet both before the game... after the drop of the puck, let the taunting begin... at that point, they're trying to beat us, and for that... they get boooooooooooooooooooooed.

Posted by: Scofield | July 16, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Steve R-
Chief-
Finn-

Posted by: kevbpgc | July 16, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

We met Huet's request and he still didn't want to play here, so be it, we don't want him if he is not 100% - he deserves to be booed!!! - Anyways, he was a loaner and that was it. I would rather have a guy that wants to play here. Go Thee - A - Door - glad to have him, at least we know he wants to contribute and that is half the battle, let's see what he is capable of, he might just surprise us all!

Posted by: Greenie | July 16, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

20007,

Wait.... Did Huet want 3 years 5m per year? Did the Caps agree to those terms before July1? Did Huet say "weelllll, actually I'm going to see what offers are out there"?

Let's see. Yes. Yes. Yes.

He gets booed. He's earned it.

Nothing at all like Hossa, he didn't try to jack up Pitt for more money. Pitt will boo him because they sold their future to get him and he decided to walk. Hossa promised them nothing. Huet stated his terms and then tried to hold up the Caps & GMGM didn't bite.

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Why in the world would anyone boo Olie? He didn't make a fight with anyone here to stay here. He didn't bad mouth the entire team when he left. He sulked, I'm sure, but he didn't do anything BAD. He left the team because he knew he didn't really have a place left here that he thought he could fill properly. I don't think that's selfish at all. If he would have stayed and railed against being a backup...then that's more selfish!

I will boo the person who boo's olie. Because that's just petty and not someone who has really been a true caps fan for the long haul. He was all we had for a long time and everyone goes downhill sooner or later. That is no reason to boo. Booing Jagr, OF COURSE! But would you ever boo Bondra??? Do you boo Witt, do you boo Gonchar? No. So there is no reason to boo Olie. Period.

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | July 16, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope we light up Huet, I would love sooo much to win that game 8-0 and have chicago pull him for the backup. Show him he made the biggest mistake of his career.

Posted by: Troy | July 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

i think folks should do as they please w/ olie and christobal. cheer or boo, what matters is the team needs to win.

i for one will cheer olie if introduced. i'm guessing he wont play, at least not at the vc. if he does play, i will cheer even louder when he gives up a goal.

huet, i can see giving him the business. yes, he signed for more money and no, there is nothing wrong with that. i just suspect that through all his comments about staying in dc, etc were just a ruse to extract more money from someone. hey, it worked out for him, but it left me thinking he's a [french word for shower]-bag.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I boo Witt. I booed him when he was still a Cap, actually.

Posted by: Ben | July 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Boo Huet

Standing ovation for Olie.

Posted by: Tyler | July 16, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Keef:
I will give Olie and standing ovation with you.
NO BOOING KOLZIG - SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT, PEOPLE.
Steve's got it right - we can cheer for his legacy AND when we score on him.

Boo Huet? I really don't care.

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Give Olie A standing ovation ... darn typos.

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Both are going to get booed. Neither probably deserve it.

Posted by: bigonetimer | July 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

In response to Steve R...

I do boo Gonchar from time to time...but its hard not to boo someone on the penguins. I won't be booing Olie, but I certainly won't be cheering for him.

Posted by: Troy | July 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@IrresistibleForce - We boo Gonchar!!!! The others no way, as for Witt, I never liked him - he was over-rated!!! Jagr did nothing for us except cause financial difficulties, I would like to forget we ever had him! Sorry I have an opinion - no dis-respect!

Posted by: Greenie | July 16, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I will great Olie with the throwing and breaking of my soft pretzel over the back of my seat and yelling "God Dammit Jim!"

Huet with be met with... Hoooa, hoooa, hooa... c'est étrange pas ? allez mangent un peu de mauvais poisson vous gai

Posted by: JSchon | July 16, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Another season of starting off with games back to back?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Go greenie go!

Posted by: JSchon | July 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Gonchar gets booed because he's a Penn.

He didn't want to stick around for the rebuild, the Caps respected his wishes. No hard feelings there. We got Mo and the pick that led to either Green or Schultz (I think, correct me if wrong).

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Steve R. is correct.I was raised by my Scottish grandfather,who instilled in me the belief that a man's word is as good as a legal contract.When GMGM asked what would it take,and the reply was 3 years/15 million,and GMGM agreed to those terms....that's it,no,well,let me see what else is out there,no discussion,nothing.You said 3years/15 million,here it is....sign.He deserves to be booed unmercifully(a French word too,n'est pas?)

Posted by: roccky | July 16, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any word on Spirit Squad-gate? Looks like the official posting disappeared.

BTW, Why can't we just have ice girls like everyone else without all the drama and busybodies complaining to management?

Posted by: Sapper | July 16, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Greenie,

I've never boo'ed Gonchar, he was one of my favorite players. He and Olie were my favorite Caps. The only person I actively Boo is Jagr. Because he deserves it. He screwed this organization and thus...deserves the nasty's he gets here. But now we never have to worry again since he's waaaaaaaaaaaaay over in Russia!!

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | July 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to see the Caps finally playing in LA after 3 seasons. Hopefully they will play at Anaheim and Phoenix as well for us west coasters.

Posted by: vegas caps fan | July 16, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Cheer Olie people. We want him all sentimental and you know feeling happy and warm inside. I do not want to give Godzilla any ammunition to motivate him more than he already will be.

Just kidding, kind of. I do think we should cheer Olie. However, depending on when we play Tampa at home, not necessarily a given Olie will be in net anyway.

Posted by: Kim | July 16, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Will Huet even play? Someone should ask Khabibulin.

Posted by: beanboy66 | July 16, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Hope Olie likes the view from the visitors' bench better than from the Caps'.

Posted by: jak | July 16, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

EEEEFFFFFF HUET!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

jak,

Is that because he'll be sitting on it?

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

my hockey season won't be complete without a good, full booing of Jagr each time he touches the puck.

Really, its been one of the Ranger games highlights these past few season. I'll miss it!

Posted by: Birdie | July 16, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I hope Caps fans aren't that dumb to boo Huet

Posted by: King Simeon | July 16, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I've seen people toss out the "well you wouldn't turn down more money from another company" argument. The reason he was offered that money was because the Caps acquired him when they were playing their best hockey of the season.

My problem with Huet is that if he hadn't come over to the Caps, he'd be looking at a contract somewhere in the 3.5-4 million range TOPS. He would not be looking at a 4 year deal.

His success was our success and vice versa. Would we have made the playoffs without Huet? Doubtful, but the team was playing so much better from February on than before its hard to figure out who benefited more. The Caps by adding Huet or Huet by playing behind a Caps team that was flying on all cylinders and padded his stats.

Everyone knows that Kolzig had a bad season last year. Did you know Kolzig had a GAA of 2.31 and a save % of .918 during February and March? And that includes two games where the team completely quit on him 2/23 against Carolina and 3/19 against Chicago.

My point is that its obvious that no matter who was in goal, the Caps were playing their best hockey of the season. Adding Huet was necessary and I think if we had just ridden Kolzig we would have missed the playoffs by a game or two, but Huet has the Capitals to thank for that contract he got from Chicago.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 16, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

And Olie doesn't deserve booeing at all. Why him, for God's sake?

Posted by: King Simeon | July 16, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy-
Excellent points. +1

Posted by: kevbpgc | July 16, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I will not boo Olie. I will cheer him before the game, and if he oplays ask why he couldn't make those saves last season. He gave this franchise a lot, but like all athletes, he didn't know when to say when. It doesn't lessen my appreciation for the years of service he gave the franchise.

Huet can bite a croissant for all I care. I agree with Sombrero: He would not have gotten the payday he did without the caps. He won us games at the end that we would not have with olie in net, but he got the better end of the bargain.

Posted by: Leeguru | July 16, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Well said Sombrero.

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Bo everyone, we can't be creating a comfy verizon center. The place needs to be hostile like it was in the postseason. Boo everyone that's not in a CAPS jersey. What kinda crap is this, we have to be nice to opposing players, no wonder were not a hockey town. We'll cheer olie when his # gets retired.

He did everything he said he wouldn't take a backup job for less money.

HUET, I'd boo his just for fun cause he's a sellout. I hope he gets lit up like a christmas tree. We should take at least 3 goalie interference penalties.LOL

Posted by: smartfan | July 16, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I will never boo Olie. Regardless of how things ended, he still dedicated 18 years of himself to this organization. I will give him a standing ovation when he returns.

Huet, on the other hand, should get booed unmercifully.

Posted by: DuggerWV | July 16, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

How about the whole VC hiss at Huet? Frenchy wouldn't expect that...`

Posted by: AP | July 16, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

why not boo huet?

he just tried to suck more money out of the caps like the rent a European skank he is. Why be nice to the money hungry. He showed no respect for the Caps so we owe him none.Pay to see the game and boo who ever u want

Posted by: wendel | July 16, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

And throw frogs onto the ice when a hat trick is scored against Huet?

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I'll cheer for Olie before the game because who Olie is and what he has done, but during the game, I boo anyone who's not wearing a Caps sweater, end of story.

Posted by: AP | July 16, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

This place is such an F-ing Circus.

Posted by: JSchon | July 16, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

AP,

I wish there were a way to discreetly organize it so that the entire stadium full of people just went quiet all at once and stared at him in eerie, uncomfortable silence for a solid minute.

The guy strung management and the fans along, saying he wanted to stay in Washington when he clearly didn't. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he kept negotiations going just so that he'd have his deal with McPhee to wave around to try and jack up the price elsewhere. Eff that guy.

Olie, on the other hand, has my respect. That man had some truly great moments on this team and stuck with it far longer and through far more crap than just about any other player anywhere would have.

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 16, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
Still here, did you need something?

All,
As for wanting different teams at the VC, surely its about watching the Caps first and foremost. Who cares who comes, just be grateful you get to watch OV every game. There's 29 other sets of fans who wish they were so lucky.

Huet - I say boooooo. Had the chance to stay and be loved but turned his back. Yes he was stellar at the end of last year but he was playing like a man who knew his last big contract negotiations were a couple of months away. Will he be so determined now he has the big juicy contract? My guess is no.

Also, cheers to all you replied on a previous post re jerseys and shipment overseas. Looking into it right now.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 16, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Steve-

Yes. Although more than likely, he will ask for a start or two against Washington. And may God help The Mullet if Olie doesn't get his way.

I'm against booing Olie OR Huet. Olie deserves respect for what he's done in the past for the Caps and for the community, and Huet just was not here long enough to matter either way.

Posted by: jak | July 16, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

So getting into playoffs from the last place in division, almost beating Flyers in playoffs, and Huet got a better end of a bargain?

R U SERIOUS? I don't care if he got 20 billion or $20, what Caps fans and Washington DC got in exchange is priceless.

Posted by: King Simeon | July 16, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

it's just so laughable. If I negotiated a deal at car dealership, are they gonna boo me next time?

Oh, I got it, if they screw me big time, I'm gonna get cheers. bahaha

Posted by: King Huet | July 16, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Sean Avery would be proud of you, guys.

Posted by: King Huet | July 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Opening with a back to back? I hope that means we don't have to do too many more of those... if the D isn't significantly deeper than last year, back to backs are going to be rough.

Posted by: Still Missing Konowalchuk | July 16, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I never thought I'd be booing on opening night as we raise a banner. Hitting up Huet will be fun.

As for Olie -- when he is introduced, you cheer your loudest. Get the old, 'Olie! Olie!' going. That is, until the puck drops. Then you boo him every time he touches it -- because he's earned that, in a good way. He's a damn good goaltender who will be missed, and he deserves to know he won't be forgotten easily, but he's now the competition.

Posted by: Berndog | July 16, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

@King Huet

that car dealer analogy is supposed to apply to what exactly? Sorry but that is a terrible analogy.

Huet was having a solid if unspectacular year in Montreal and became the #2 guy behind their goalie of the future Carey Price. If he had ended the season in that position, there is no way he gets within 2 million per season of what he got from Chicago.

He talked all along about how great his time was in Washington, we met his demands, and then he tried to shake us down for more. I'll thank him for playing well behind a white hot team down the stretch but when he shows up next time he should get booed without mercy, if for no other reason than for being completely disingenuous.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 16, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

One other thing. I'll point out that booing Kolzig is a lot different than the 'wopping' bird sounds that come out for a Jagr or a Gonchar. And you may not believe it, but it can be done in good fun.

Posted by: Berndog | July 16, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

So when does single game tickets go on sale?

Posted by: Bryan | July 16, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm an idiot. Boo me please.

Posted by: King Huet | July 16, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

@King Huet

haha nobody should boo you personally. Besides, didn't you change your name to King Simeon, or is that someone else

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 16, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

They will first sell the remaining single tickets to 08-09 season ticket holders who want to add extra tickets to certain games.

Then what's left will be sold to the public. It'll be a while before non-season ticket holders will be able to buy single game tickets.

Posted by: Bryan | July 16, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I will never get that love for Kolzig... I hope he gives up as many softies and drops to his knees a lot as he did playing here.

Posted by: Finn | July 16, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Finn,

I get what you are saying. Olie took so many millions for so few wins in DC he should be ashamed. And his tantrum after the season was a disgrace.

Posted by: sapper | July 16, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Give Kolzig a standing ovation at the beginning of the first game against Tampa, then it's game time.

As for Huet, F that French pansy. I'm going to boo him mercilessly.

Posted by: David | July 16, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, and anything less than a 5-minute standing ovation for Olie is unacceptable."

When exactly do you envision this 5-minute standing ovation to take place? When the opposing team's starting lineup is announced during the break between warmups and puck drop when no players are on the ice or even on the bench? During the national anthem? During the first five full minutes of regulation?

Expect the "unacceptable."

Posted by: norske | July 16, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't give a rat's rear about Kolzig. The best thing would be to do nothing. No cheer. No boo. He did sign on to be a backup with a division rival afterall.

Same with Huet.

Just cheer Jose and Johnny.

Posted by: Caps 423 | July 16, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Feds will sit out the opener so he will be FRESH on the tail end of a back to back.....he can help pass the plate at the Phillips arena for his collections!

Posted by: Back to Back | July 16, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing that I have missed Dave ... it is surely past his bedtime. Dave - hollar when you are back on the blog!

All this talk about boo so-and-so is making me dizzy!

Speaking on Gonchar, why does he get the whooping bird? I never heard it for Jagr, but I do hear (and understand) the Jagr boo ... not this season, I guess!

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Mr Fedorov will be the biggest $4 million bust of the upcoming season followed closely by Fleishman and Kozlov. Hopefully the young guns can pick up the slack and Brashear will retire after being a healthy scratch for the first ten games.

Posted by: wendel | July 16, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

gmgm was also slow going on negotions.. he said he didnt want 2 talk 2 huet about a contract til after the season was over... same with other players he kept & wound up paying more for.

Posted by: jim* | July 16, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Huh ... so the Spirit Squad job ad IS down, and under jobs it says "Currently the Capitals are not listing any openings" ... I wonder what's up with that? Have they decided to go with the WaPo CI Circus, instead?!? :-D If so, Tarik gets to be the ring master!!!

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero

Huet got his market value. If you think he didn't deserve it, then I rest my case. As of him being traded by Canadiens, oh well, they payed for it. Price choked. I can guarantee you with Huet they would crush Flyers.

I know that you are an Olie's fan. I remember your posts demanding Olie in the net instead of Huet. And notice, I am against booing Olie as well.

Both Olie and Huet deserved not to be booed. That's just my opinion and I know there will be booing no matter what I say here.

Just wanted to remind you that Huet originally received such a low offer that the sides didn't talk until June 30th, for a month. 24 hours before the deadline GMGM agreed. Why wait so long?

Also we don't know how much Huet's agent was involved in that. Remember, the agent gets the percent, he got $60k more for Huet going to Chicago.

I do think that Huet made a mistake. But his wish to play for Caps was real, he allowed his agent to talk to GMGM before deadline. It tells something.

In the end it is a free market, Huet got his money and Caps chose a cheaper goalie.
Everybody should be happy. I am not upset anymore either. If Jose takes us to a second round I'd be happy.

Posted by: King Huet | July 16, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

So the Caps were playing their best game, but when Olie was in the goals, they'd all of sudden quit.... hmmm

And when Huet was in the goals, they'd stop quitting? Maybe this what Chicago hoped when they signed Huet.

Posted by: King Huet | July 16, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't boo Olie, guys ! he's a class act and definitely deserves respect when he comes back to Washington.

Posted by: capsgirl12 | July 16, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Huet:
Did you watch the Chicago game? The entire team was TERRIBLE. The Caps did not show. Not to say that they quit on Olie, but that Olie did not lose that game. The Caps were playing great around that time, they just really flaked the night. So I think Sombrero's point is that Olie put up good numbers earlier this year, even when the team was off. If Olie had played more around that time (with the benefit of an on-fire team), people would probably be remembering his season a lot differently.

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I have one question. Is King Simeon the same as King Huet? Also is Alzner going to live up to his hype? and by the way EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF jagr !!!!!!!!!!! God, I hate the pens. Its even difficult to like Matt Bradley!!!

Posted by: Puck the pens | July 16, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

KOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-ZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIG!!

KOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-ZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIG!

SLOWLY THE GOALIE!!!
SLOWLY THE GOALIE!!!

Kolzig is not a hero. He is a big baby, both on and off the ice. I used to be one of his biggest admirers, but last year, with an impressive team in front of him and a great coach, he showed us his true colors.

As GMGM said, 'Olie was great for Washington, and Washington was great for Olie'

...until his poor attitude became a bane to the young guys around him.

Posted by: Kolzig is not a hero | July 16, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Yeah, I remember that game. What about other games that Olie lost? I remember you wanted Olie instead of Huet bad, but Olie lost his #1 job fair and square. I wouldn't boo him though.

Exactly what Sombrero said,
1. "the team quit on Olie".
2. "the Caps were playing their best hockey" with Huet in the net.

Posted by: King Huet | July 16, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I am a former King Huet, but old habits are taking over. I typed Huet instead of Simeon and that was it. Maybe I should stay with 'King Huet'.

After all we have HolyOlie :-)

Posted by: King Simeon = King Huet | July 16, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Huet:
I did not want Olie over Huet - I reserved judgement until I saw both play. I often gave Huet his props and by the end of the season hoped that he would return as the #1 and Kolzig the #2. So I don't know what you are talking about. Granted, I don't think Olie deserved to be benched after Chicago because that loss was not his fault, but I never said he was a better keeper than Huet. In fact, I think Huet being here made him better. I think what you are remembering is the fact that I firmly believe that Olie does not deserve to be slammed, trashed and treated with the disrespect that some people have shown him. I believed that then, I believe that now and I always will. Olie is as much a part of Caps history as any player ever was or will be. He may not be or have been the best, but he was the face of the organization for a very long time.

Regarding (your interpretation of?) Sombrero's comments:

1. I still don't think the team quit Olie - they played some great games in front him AND they played some real stinkers in front of Huet (hence the reason we needed that winning streak at the end to make the playoffs). I think it was simply a case of sometimes they were not, sometimes they were not.

2. The team played their best hockey in front of both keepers - they did not turn it on or off depending on who was in goal. They had off nights, but overall played exceptionally well late this season.

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Huet is dead to me!

Posted by: markfromparkville | July 16, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

We can debate the point ad infintium, but the points that can't be disputed:

Huet wanted 3 years 5m per.
Caps agreed to 3 years 5m per.
Huet decided to pull a power play for $.
GMGM said screw you Frenchie and signed JT.
1.1m savings a year (for 2 years, then 5.6 savings)& we are going to need the cap room 2010-11 season.

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

And didn't we play a highly charged game against Nashville the night before that Chicago fiasco? Can anyone remember if that's the case, ot or shootout maybe? I can't remember for sure.

Posted by: Steve R | July 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

wendel,

If you think Feds, Flash, Koz and Brash will be duds next year, who will pick up the slack?

Posted by: Bobo | July 16, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
You're right - we won 4-2 and were expected to be killed ... guess they left it all on the ice!

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe it!

I live in ATL and will miss the opener because I'll be in DC for a wedding! Then, I'll miss the Caps home opener because the wedding is that day! AAARRRGGGHHH!

Go Caps!

Posted by: Lee N | July 16, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

@ Kolzig is not a hero
When did Olie's "poor attitude" become a "bane to the young guys around him"? Once again a reference by someone who THINKS they know what goes on in the locker room - and has NEVER been there. Here is what we know:
Olie won the Vezina in Washington

Olie backstopped the Caps to the Finals

Olie stayed here and didn't demand trade

Olie handled the 3 goalies as best as could be expected; how would you do if someone brought in another manager in your workplace when only 2 are needed?

Olie stayed here 18 years

Olie had a huge influence on charities in this area, especially families with kids with autism (just ask them, not me)

The badmouthing will never stop I am sure, but it is time that people acknowledged what he did and give him a break if he was a little upset at how it all ended and didn't handle it perfectly. He deserves a standing ovation.

Posted by: Roose | July 16, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Roose:
AMEN!!!

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who is a Caps fans and doesn't give Kolzig an extra-long standing O has no clue about hockey.

Boo-uet, on the other, turned and ran. He played the cards for every penny he could squeeze out. Huet was on the outs in MTL and the only reason he was a "hot property" at the end of the season was a combination of the way BB used him and the way he played. Boo-uet added at min $5M to his salary by his usage/perf in DC. Did he consider that in his decision? Apparently not. He was just out to squeeze as many francs as possible from whichever team would barf them up.

Boo-uet is the worst kind of professional performer because he is a pretender (wasn't that Krissy Hynde?). He made out like it was so great in DC. "Sacre bleu! Le Caps est tut sweet! Le Hawks est suckay!" And then he signs with Chicago for a few extra scheckels.

Hey, Boo-uet, I got a few scheckels. Come 'n' get 'em.

Posted by: Tom in FL | July 16, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Huet=opposing goaltender. He'll be booed to no extent not because he left, but because he told the Caps what he wanted and still went to Chicago. No hard feelings, but I'll be booing the crap out of him.

The red will be rocking come October 11, and Huet will now find out what Biron did during the playoffs--namely, that the VC gets loud when our team's on the ice.

Posted by: Right Winger | July 16, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

@BOBO
well flash didnt do much so hopefully Fehr
Brash we dont need to replace just get rid of him since we didnt do his job late in the year when teams took liberties
Feds will not be as awesome as everyone seems to think other guys like Laich Gordon Steckel nylander need to have better years
and kozlov benefits from playing with ov semin etc
if Clark is still hurt we need grit that the other forwards can add except flash

Posted by: wendel | July 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I have read through the the posts here. I am shocked that anyone wouldn't have the most complete and highest respect and admiration for what Kolzig did over nearly two decades for the Capitals organization.

What do they call these people? Generation X? Generation Y? Should be Generation HNC - for Have No Clue.

Posted by: Tom in FL | July 16, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

wendel,

The tough part is that the larder isn't full of RW's. If you want to dump Koz, who do you put on 1st line? Clarkie will be on LTIR (just a guess) to start the year. No Brash? Who goes on 4th line LW then? Anyone in Hershey you'd like to see moved up?

Nyls will be just fine I think healthy on 2nd line with Semin. Who on the RW? Fehr?

Posted by: Bobo, | July 16, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

The Olie thing is really getting old. The guy isnt a saint and he isnt a villain, he is somewhere inbetween, probably closer to saint.

His last few years have been less than stellar, but we havent been good either. The timing really sucked for Olie. We got good when he got old. It would've been nice to see him in net 3 years ago with this team, but that isnt the case.

He is now on a opposing divisional team and has stated he will use the departure from the team as a motivating factor... whatever. The truth as it stands is that he way past his prime and on a team that forgot to put a defense in front of him and Smith.

Will I cheer for him? I dont know, depends on how I feel that day. I guess at some point I will forget the bad days with Olie and only remember the good, time heals all wounds. I'm hoping Olie does the same and forgets the bad and remembers the good.

It would be nice to have him next to Hunter, Langway on the rafters, but when will that happen?

Posted by: JSchon | July 16, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I really don't see any need to boo either Kolzig or Huet. Really, what's the point, they have had their chance in D.C. and now it's done.

At the same time, you will NOT see me giving any standing ovation to Kolzig, let alone a slight applaud IF he were to start (or even play for that matter) against the Caps.

Both will receive the same type of jeer that any other goalie would receive when coming to the V.C., although I will admit I love how:
HHHHHUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT
Just rolls off the tongue.

Posted by: Super | July 16, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

@bobo

Fehr is a right winger. He certainly has the talent to play RW on the 2nd line. The first line isn't going to be toyed with most likely. I would imagine Clarkie will play RW on the 2nd line, but all depends on his health. Laich is also an option. All three have a shot at 2nd line RW. Fehr could be an interesting choice as a big power forward type who has a quick release and would be willing to take some of the punishment in front that Semin and either Feds or Nylander likely wouldn't on a regular basis. Unfortunately due to Fehr's 2 way contract and possible salary cap issues, Fehr seems like he could start in Hershey, but I hope not.

Posted by: reekie | July 16, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

And then he signs with Chicago for a few extra scheckels.

And what's wrong with it? I don't think anybody hold anything against former Captain who signed with Dallas, not? Are we booing him?

Posted by: King Huet | July 16, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Wikipedia: On July 5, 2006, Halpern left the Capitals as a free agent and signed a 4-year deal with the Dallas Stars for a few extra scheckels

Posted by: King Huet | July 16, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

@King Huet

I am an Olie supporter but was also a fan of bringing in Huet. Heck I even got printed in the post as being in favor of thr trades.

I never posted saying Olie should be in net over Huet because Huet was playing better than Olie. I DID right up until the trade deadline, and even after argue that Olie's stats had improved in January and into February and that while he was the Olie of old, he had been hung out to dry a lot throughout the season by a young and inexperienced D, a terrible Hanlon system and a team adjusting to a new high tempo way of playing.

I think Huet got paid above his market value and he got paid because he got traded to a white hot team. He has the Caps to thank for the extra 1.5 to 2 million per season that he is earning now.

I lost respect for him because if you say in the press over and over that you want to stay, you want to sign, and if the team matches the salary you're looking for, you shouldn't suddenly change the rules. I'd rather hae Huet than Theo, but in the long run only having Theo for two years is a perfect time frame to let one of the young stud goalies step up.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Check that. should have read "while he was NOT the Olie of old, he had been hung out to dry..."

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Former Captain sucked then, sucks now.

Rumor has it he's finished, thank god, one less robot skating around.

Posted by: Halpern Sucks | July 17, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I think the problem that some folks have with Huet is not that he left for extra money, but that he named his price, the Caps met it, and he decided to try for more in the open market. For those of you unfamiliar with salary negotiations in the real world, that is bad faith negotiating -- when you name your price, and your employer meets it, you are expected to take it. Huet did not; instead, he and his agent attempted to engage the Caps and the Blackhawks in a bidding war. GMGM wisely said no thanks.

It's not the money that pisses people off. It's the dirty pool.

Posted by: is it september yet? | July 17, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone else has the same optimistic outlook as I, but I am actually pretty pumped that JT is going to be our goalie. He has a confident edge that Huet couldn't ever possibly possess.

HHHUUUUUUUUEEEEEEETTTTTTTT

Posted by: Super | July 17, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Could care less about Huet....I'll treat him just like any other opponent that comes to the phone booth...he's gonna get booed. (But I do like the idea of having signs welcoming Mrs. Huet back to the District.) As for Olie, he gets a cheer and standing "O" the first time Wes first introduces him on the PA....after that, Olie gets booed like all of the members of opposing teams that come to play the Caps.
And I'll probably cheer a little bit louder then normal when Ovie and Sasha put a few laser beams, missiles and 'dekes' past him. :D

Posted by: TaylorsMom | July 17, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Huet:
september yet? has got it right - people lost respect for Huet NOT because he left for more money, they lost respect for him because he said he wanted to stay and the Caps met his demands, yet he still left for more money. If I did that at my job, I would not be welcome back. That's what you call buring bridges. You can't compare that to Halpren or anyone else who left without first coming to terms with GMGM. Frankly, it's more like what Nyls did to Edmonton, but he took a deal for LESS money ... I'm surprised that they don't boo him!

Posted by: Boo! | July 17, 2008 5:34 AM | Report abuse

You also call that BURNING bridges ... (I can't spell until after noon or so).

Posted by: Boo! | July 17, 2008 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Boo,

Reporting in as requested.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 17, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' (afternoon?) Dave! Just wanted to let you know that it looks like we are goin' to OT this year! :-) Do you think they would be confused if I wore a Caps sweater? Hey, at least it is red ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | July 17, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

So does Johnny get to start the seaon again this year? Hope so...he played a great first game last year.

And please don't boo Olie. He was a cornerstone of this organization for a long time.

Welcome him back and then cheer when we score against him.

And I bet if Chicago hasn't dumped Khabibulin by the start of the season, then he will play Opening night.

Raise the Banner!!!

Posted by: BSK | July 17, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

the caps gmgm had 2 month to sign cristo
a 18/20§ for 4 years will be fine but i m sure gmgm begin at 4 for 3 years and he didn't feel the market this year, i'm really sad about the end of the story but good luck caps fan i hope to see the big red crowd a lot of time next year
please don't boo cristobal he's a good guy
he came from nowhere and do you refuse more than 20 millions dollars for your last contract and 4 years more in the big league??

Posted by: stephane about cristo | July 17, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS?

Who cares if people boo Olie or Huet? You are not gonna change peoples view or actions by saying "please don't boo" this guy.....Hogwash...

Anyways, stoked about the schedule.

Posted by: #94 | July 17, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Good afternoon (morning) Boo!

That's great news. When are you heading over? I have the fixture list already printed and stuck up at my desk. I think you will be fine "Rocking the Red" with 75,000 other Reds.

Yesterday I got my tickets for Ole Gunner Solsjkaer's testimonial game. I don't think you have testimonial's in the States. If a player has spent 10 years with a team (Kolzig=Caps) the organisation will grant them a testimonial game. This is a friendly game where all the gate proceeds go to the player. It started years ago when players weren't on the £100k ($200k) a week contracts they are on now.

Back then players would take the proceeds of their testimonal as a retirement fund, many setting up small businesses with it. Nowadays players, already wealthy, tend to give their testimonal funds to charity.

As OGS is one of my all time players I can't miss this chance to say thanks and goodbye.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 17, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

@ Boo/Sombrero

Posted by: Boo! | July 16, 2008 8:00 PM

Olie Never had good Numbers last season.....he was at the bottom of the barrell for just about every catagory last season, and the year before.

Posted by: over the hill | July 17, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

huet said he wanted to stay with the caps, they met his number and he bolted. halpy really did want to stay with the team, but the team told him he want in their plans and so he left. no comparison.

Posted by: The difference is.. | July 17, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Olie's numbers improve when he and Johnny started playing every other game?

Posted by: Steve R | July 17, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

yes but our record didnt

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

SIDNEY I PLAYED HALF THE SEASON F-ING CROSBY WON THE ESPY OVER OVECHKIN, just though i would let everyone know that.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

hey stephane

F_ _ K CHRISTOBAL HUET

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

Olie's numbers did improve when he shared more time with Johnny. After the last second loss in Toronto, however, sources say a change was demanded. I believe the direct quote was, "we need to have better goaltending, and something will be done."

Posted by: Leeguru | July 17, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone really blame Huet for getting his one obscene career contract? he will NEVER have this chance again, so he grabbed the brass ring. You and I would do the same thing, people. Yeah, he owes the Caps a debt of gratitude for giving him the opportunity; without that, he doesn't get paid.

Besides, he may not even be in net opening night, if Khabi is still around. Some writers still feel he is the starter in Chicago.

The person I have problem with is Olie. My God, what a petty little jagoff he turned out to be. I have no problem throwing him under the bus, just as I have no problem hating a little on Bondra, who also acted like an ass.

This is coming from a fan who has been following the Caps since day one, before many of you were born. Not that that makes me more special, but I have watched Kolzig from his rookie days. There was no bigger fan of Zilla than me.

Ole could have gone out in a supporting role, where he would been loved and admired and cheered. But no, he signs with a team in the SAME DIVISION, for pennies. I can't forgive him, personally, as I can't forgive Bondra. It's a shame.

Posted by: Shaggy | July 17, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tom in FL | July 16, 2008 10:18 PM

I dont think youre reading close enough Tom. every caps fan appreciates what olie did for the CAPS. what they dont appreciate are his lies and his attitude within the last half of this past year(and his dick agent doesnt help things) get a clue

And the second part, typical out of touch OLD PERSON thing to say.

Posted by: Write me another Thesis | July 17, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

My point was actually that Kolzig's numbers were below average at best, and poor at worst through the end of December.

His numbers in Feb and March were pretty darn good. 2.31 or so GAA and .918 Save %. This upturn in stats coincided with a little more rest (more Jonny) but also a maturation of the young D-men playing in front of him and the team gelling as a whole.

Ultimately my point was that Huet benefited from being inserted into a team that had already gone through its growing pains and was firing on all cylinders heading into the stretch run.

@Anon 9:26 am
Our record didn't improve? Check the wins and loss record from the point BB took over on Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Its getting testy in here. We need you to moderate!

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

TOTALLY and OBVIOUSLY aware of the turnaround after boudreau took over, all the way back in november. what im also aware of is the fact that the teams play began to plateau after the all-star break, prompting mcphee to be a player at the deadline, which also coincides with the time frame you give for olies "good numbers". What have we learned then? HE WASNT GOOD ENOUGH.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

over the hill:
Olie NEVER had good numberslast season? Really? Well they were good enough for him to earn accolades as one of the top like five goalies or something like that earlier this year (was it February or March?). I'll have to dig up the article (I'll give $1 to anyone who can find it! :-)).

Dave:
Not sure of the plans yet; still hammering everything out. You'll have to let me know where the good pubs/restaurants are and all that good stuff! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | July 17, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero:
I can't moderate - I am part of the problem on this one! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | July 17, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

-Roose

If the jobs not getting done, you bring in someone who can do it right!

Posted by: me | July 17, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Isn't this kind of a moot point?
If Olie actually got booed by someone at VC, his section would probably run him out of the arena . . .

Posted by: honed | July 17, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

over the hill:

-boo

One month? really? one month? youre going to go to war over one month of good numbers? playing behing the hottest team in the league. how about the rest of the year? the whiff against buffalo, the last second goal by sundin, etc. or we can just look at his NUMBERS numbers:
2.91GAA(37th), .892SV%(41st), 25 wins(24th WOOOO!
I liked olie as much as the next caps fan, but hes a big backstabbing baby at this point, and hes not very good either.

Posted by: 9:26 | July 17, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Can't even imagine booing Olie. It was a difficult situation for him and he handled it with class.

Posted by: CBT | July 17, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Boo,

No problem. If you have Sombrero's email address, he has mine. If you need any information just drop me a line.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 17, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Are you guys really doing this? Now you've crossed to beating the battered remains of the poor horse's tombstone.

Posted by: tallbear | July 17, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

ESPN and the ESPYs are a joke. They don't have a touch on reality and hockey is the least of their concerns. Look at last year, they started by really getting behind the Capitals at the beginning of the season and then the slid came and they abandon ship. The the turn around came at the very end and they jumped back on board.

If the would have stayed with the Caps all season that would have been a made for TV movie. Maybe even the big screen.

Screw ESPN and I am glad hockey is not on it.

Posted by: #94 | July 17, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

whats everybody going to do if olie gets a shutout against us at verizon? are we all going to wait around till we hear that hes the #1 star of the game so we can give him a standing ovation for just beating our team. what a load of BS, im a C-A-P-S fan.

Posted by: drop the puck | July 17, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

2 hours remaining till the schedule, two hours.

Posted by: #94 | July 17, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@Anon 9:54

the trade deadline was Feb 26th, so the teams's improved play in Jan and Feb was not due to trade deadline moves.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I asked the question a couple days ago what song does the Caps come out to this year and I really like this song I heard on DC 101.

Bravery - "Believe"

Youtube it and tell what you think. Might be a little to soft but I really think it would be good.

Posted by: #94 | July 17, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Caps come up with a new slogan besides Rock the Red

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

94, I don't think they will, they used that for their Young Guns spots. I see something a little newer, and probably quicker.

Posted by: AP | July 17, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

for the second half of the season they used the Foo Fighters song The Pretender

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@AP

Well I didn't know about the Young Guns. Interesting..

Have any songs in mind?

Posted by: #94 | July 17, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

#94,

Amen. Sidney Crosby over Alex Ovechkin? What were they thinking? Sidney Crosby doesn't deserve the honor as the MVP of his own team (Evgeni Malkin), let alone the league. The ESPY's are a joke. Since they are now on every cable and satellite system that's worth a damn, consider me one who is glad that Versus and not ESPN has the rights to the NHL.

Posted by: Croftonpost | July 17, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@is it september yet

I can agree on that

@sombrero

Your argument about Olie's bad numbers because of young, unexperience defense, blah, blah, has lost its ground when Johnson started showing better numbers in front of the same young, unexperience defense, blah, blah

Also I don't agree that $5,6 mil is above market value. I think GMGM could've pay it, actually, but he got a call from Jose. After that the negotiations with Huet have ended.

I hope that Jose will rebound and we'll have a run, but I know that with Huet we would have a chance to go all the way. Oh well, it ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: King Huet | July 17, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Well, Nadal lost to Federer in the French Open and Wimbledon finals according to ESPY.

Posted by: King Huet | July 17, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I can agree on what "is it september yet" said, but the team would go NOWHERE w/o Huet, get real. Bash Huet, boo him, but he gave Caps an awesome ending of a season, a whole new bandwagon of fans here and all over the world. For just that I wouldn't boo Huet.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@Anon 9:54

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 10:22 AM

never said the teams improved play after the trade deadline occurred in january and february. quite the opposite, i said they expereineced a plateau around the all-star break, which was a month before the deadline, and mcphee began to see he was going to need to make some moves. They did have a very nice january, olie included, but even if those numbers did carry over into february, they didnt translate into enough wins, and obviously something needed to be done. Thank god something was.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

You guys do realize that the ESPYs are fan-voted, right? I made sure and voted for Ovie. Even had to create a stupid ESPN login to do it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 17, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

JMU...you mean that NOT EVERYONE in the world things OV is GOD??????????

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

haha, unfortunately, yes. Not everyone thinks Ovie is the best thing since sliced bread. Remember, as much as we all *love* him here, Crosby is still the NHL's wunderkind and inevitably appeals more to the ethnocentrics than everyone's favorite Russian.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 17, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@Everyone

Since we're on the topic of fan voting, the Chinese kid on the Milwaukee Bucks Yi Jainlain was 4th in All-Star voting ahead C.Butler, H.Turkoglu, T.Prince...

Yi averaged 8.2pts and 5.2reb.

Ovechkin also wasnt a starter on the East All-Star game and Mike Green wasnt even on the team.

A lot of people just have no clue.

Posted by: JSchon | July 17, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Screw-a Huet.

Posted by: #60 | July 17, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

94,
Honestly it's a little old, but im partial to "The Call Of Ktulu" by Metallica, or something like "Monsters" by Matchbook Romance (I know not the best band name). I do like Belive though, just it's been used and the PR folks seem to like to be hip and trendy with those songs. Any one else got any ideas? I wish they'd make this a poll on the Caps website

Posted by: AP | July 17, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was a blend of fan and management but the point still stands either way. No knowledgeable hockey fan would even nominate Crosby for player of the year. You need to play for such consideration.

Posted by: Croftonpost | July 17, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Also a cool song to hear would be "I Don't Care" by Apocalyptica

Posted by: AP | July 17, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Jschon,

Jump in here with some decent songs that the caps can use as entrance music.

Posted by: 94 | July 17, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

*sigh*

everything keeps getting taken out of context and I am tired of correcting people who don't bother to read.

Yes, I was glad the Caps made the trade for Huet. I've said in several posts over the last few days that the Caps likely would have missed the playoffs by a game or two without Huet. Still I think the Caps made Huet a better goaltender as much as he made us a better team and he got overpaid in FA as a result. I am not bitter towards him per se, I am grateful that he helped us break the playoff drought but don't think he should be applauded when he returns in any way shape or form. He negotiated in bad faith and as a man of principle, I think that should be looked down upon.

Last thing I'm saying on the matter of Huet. Lets go Theodore.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

heard a rumor this morning on XM Home Ice that says there is a 3 team deal brewing between Ott, Chi and LA that would send Khabibulin to Ott. Looking to get more details on this one. I remember hearing other big names as well.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | July 17, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@King Huet

@King Huet -

Johnson played exactly 2 games against playoff bound teams through the end of December, both losses and both against Pittsburgh. One of those games he left after 18 minutes with an injury and gave up 2 goals on 11 shots. We lost 4-3 in OT that game (the one where OV missed most of the third and OT with the lacerated leg).

As of 12/27, Johnson's Save % was .898, and his GAA was 2.92.

Kolzig's were .893 and 2.92. So to Say Johnson faired better in front of the young and inexperienced D just isn't true.

Feel free to click on those links if you don't believe the numbers I posted.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 17, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Where's the schedule?

Posted by: 12:00 | July 17, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Still Missing Schedule!

Posted by: Still Missing Konowalchuk | July 17, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Go Skins Go | July 17, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Olie comes to town Nov. 10

Posted by: Go Skins Go | July 17, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Pens/caps twice on NBC it looks like. Interestingly, both of those games are at the phone booth

Posted by: Leeguru | July 17, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I do like that all the late-night games are front-loaded.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 17, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Huet is like the girl that you dated briefly, had some really great times with but she wants a long term commitment and you are thinking about dating others (Varlamov) when the time is right. Right now you're dating Jose - you both know it won't last but maybe you'll have some great times (like hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup). No need for booing Huet for leaving...if you want to boo him because he's French, that's completely fine.

Posted by: charmcitycapsfan | July 17, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

A free Coke to whoever can guess when the circus is coming to town!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I counted 14 back to back games (So 28 games, 14 with no rest).
They include at least 2 out west. (3 games in 4 days out there) and a few odd times back to back games.

And No long stretches of time off.

Then we finish with 8 of the last 12 on the road.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | July 17, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I don't like the ending, 8 of the last 12 on the road, including the last 3. I hope we'll be in a solid playoff position before then.

Posted by: mauree | July 17, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@94

I'm a huge Bravery fan... "Believe" is a good song... "Public Service Announcement" is good too...

"Break" by the Cinematics

Posted by: JSchon | July 17, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

However, I suggest we get Kool and the Gang to re-record the hit from 1972 "Lets Go Dancin"... and change it "Lets Play Hockey"...

Ooh la la la, let's play Hockey',
Ooh la la la, Boudreau Hockey'.
Ooh la la la, let's play Hockey',
Ooh la la la, Boudreau Hockey'.

I got onto the ice - everything was nice, oh yeah.
All of a sudden on came the lights and everything was feelin' right.
The people started cheer'n' - they call me over to join in.
They said: "Bub - Don't you feel good man?
Come on and join the Hockey jam." - I heard them singin':

Ooh la la la, let's play Hockey',
Ooh la la la, Boudreau Hockey'.
Ooh la la la, let's play Hockey',
Ooh la la la, Boudreau Hockey'.

Ooh la la la, ooh, let's play Hockey'.
Get your hockey skates, get your Hockey Skates, Boudreau Hockey'.
Ooh la la la, ooh, let's play Hockey'.
Go get your hockey skates, get your Hockey Skates, Boudreau Hockey'.

Ovechkin's gonna show you. Come on, Ovie break him down, oh yeah.
A Deke, then a Slapshot, so that Washington will be fine.
Its Sascha, with the goal! Assist to Greenie and Lil' Nicky...
You'll never by yourself, come join our Stanley Cup ride
We could check the scene and we can reggae down,
And we'll be singing:

Ooh la la la, let's play Hockey', ...
Ooh la la la, Boudreau Hockey'.
Ooh la la la, let's play Hockey',
Ooh la la la, Boudreau Hockey'.

Ooh la la la, ooh, let's play Hockey'.
Get your hockey skates, get your Hockey Skates, Boudreau Hockey'.
Ooh la la la, ooh, let's play Hockey'.
Go get your hockey skates, get your Hockey Skates, Boudreau Hockey'.

It's a special occasion, such a hockey occasion.
It's a special occasion, such a hockey occasion.

You wanna play come skating? Let's go skating'; Capital skating...
Do you wanna come skating? Let's go skating'; Capital staking. ...

Caps, another score, give me give me some more, yeah...
Ovechkin does his dancing, the Stanley Cup we're romancing...
I heard Ted say, get your get your season tixs
And it was a party, come on get your season tixs
If you if you want to join join the jam, just let that music take you
Can you hear them singing

Ooh la la la, let's play Hockey', ...
Ooh la la la, Boudreau Hockey'.
Ooh la la la, let's play Hockey',
Ooh la la la, Boudreau Hockey'.

Ooh la la la, ooh, let's play Hockey'.
Get your hockey skates, get your Hockey Skates, Boudreau Hockey'.
Ooh la la la, ooh, let's play Hockey'.
Go get your hockey skates, get your Hockey Skates, Boudreau Hockey'.

It's a special occasion, such a hockey occasion.
It's a special occasion, such a hockey occasion.

We want the Stanley Cup...
We want the Stanley Cup...

Posted by: JSchon | July 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Many sports stars' photos have been posted on =====Mixed Mingle. c o m===== where many black and white singles who enjoy chatting sports and stars there. It is a place where I keep meeting many black and white single beauties who love sports...

Posted by: Yedda | July 17, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

inappropriate

Posted by: inappropriate | July 17, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

i was talking to you jschon, but good timing yedda, totally inappropriate

Posted by: inappropriate | July 17, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse