Caps Look for Balance on Offense

From Katie Carrera:

Despite the recent wins, only five players -- Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Brooks Laich, Nicklas Backstrom and Sergei Fedorov -- have scored the past five games. The Caps are still searching for that consistent secondary scoring.

"I think it's just a matter of time before Tomas [Fleischmann] starts putting the puck in the net again," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "He's scored two in the last two games, they've both been disallowed, but that's usually a start. I think Eric [Fehr's] due to start scoring again and Mike [Green] hasn't scored in awhile. Those three and then you throw in the odd one by [Dave Steckel] and company and that's the balanced scoring we'll need to succeed, to go further."

Getting Green Going
It's no secret that Mike Green helps bring balance to the score sheet, but he's gone scoreless for the last seven games and has just one goal in his last 13 games. Perhaps everyone is just a bit spoiled by Green's success this season, though. Boudreau isn't too worried about it.

"He's really missing his shots by a little bit," Boudreau said. "He hit the shaft of Brooks's stick in overtime against Pittsburgh. He had a good chance last night; the puck flipped on him. He had another great shot [against the Flyers] that was a rocket that I think hit [Tomas Fleischmann] in front of the net. Sometimes, to me, it's almost like gambling. You do the same stuff and you get lucky; sometimes it doesn't. As long as he continues to get those chances and play the way he's played -- especially the last three games -- he's going to get going."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 13, 2009; 2:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Practice Update: Boudreau as 'Juice Boy'
Next: Alex Ovechkin Gets Eastern Motors on SportsCenter

Comments

"If you want money, go to the bank. If you want bread, go to the bakery. If you want goals, go to the net." Brooks Laich

Posted by: uncatim | March 13, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

First? Even though I hate people who say that.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | March 13, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow, three diffrent posters in one day?

Posted by: superpaqman | March 13, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

If you want a side of beef see Sam the butcher

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 13, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

When Dave scores, all bets are off.

Posted by: _jordan | March 13, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

yeah but, what if you are hungry on the ice?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't get this "first" thing. Who cares? How is this something to be proud of? Are people's lives really so boring that they actually get a thrill out of this?

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Last?

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 13, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 2:53 PM

calm down dude. why so serious?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Darn

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 13, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I think Eric Fehr should make it a personal goal to try and get a goaltender interference call next game. Just keep moving in until you get whistled.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 13, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

calm down dude. why so serious?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 2:55 PM

I am calm, just puzzled. I was a psych major in college and ridiculous behavior like this fascinates me. Oh, and I'm a dudette. :)

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

i hope they all go through their slumps now and snap out of them around mid april through mid june.

i would advise everyone going to the game on saturday (unfortunately i wont be there) to pace themselves as well. sure, we need some secondary cheering and the guys in section 108 are a bit off their game. but its just a matter of time before the lower bowl and upper bowl are firing on all cylanders come playoff time.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 13, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan26

13th

Posted by: SA-Town | March 13, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

lol @ SA-Town

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

ok, questions. who is considered a primary scorer and a secondary scorer. is there a tertiary scorer? i'm guessing:

primary - AO, Semin, Backs, and whoever is on the top line wing (koz). i might sneak green in there, particular for the pp.

secondary - flash, laich, feds, koz, fehr

bonus time - gordo, stecks, nyls, poti

he did what? - bradley, morrison, jurcina

blue moon time - brash, schultz, erskine

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 13, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

least likely scoring combo: Erskine from Bradley and Brashear.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | March 13, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree Capsfan26

I just don't get it...

Anyway, I find myself rooting for the Rangers...does that make me a bad person?

Posted by: NJNJ | March 13, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

capsfan26, would this so called "ridiculous" behavior qualify as "deviant"?

Posted by: superpaqman | March 13, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

No way.

Schultz from Laich and Green, shorthanded!

Posted by: saintex | March 13, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

If Steckel or Schultz scored on my goalie, I'd demote him and the entire D to the ECHL.

Posted by: bucknelldad | March 13, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina needs to start firing bombs from the blueline and his forwards have to do a better job of setting him and crashing the net.

And as long as Green keeps playing better defensively his lack of offense bothers me not. Come the playoffs its his defense which will help us go further, not his O.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 13, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

schultz on a penalty shot...

play the lottery if that happens.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 13, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

What is there to get?

lighten up guys, jesus.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I just saw the Eastern Motors commercial...that's really sad...does Alex really need the money?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 13, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman: I have a really good answer to that question, but it might get me kicked off the board. ;)

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"Sometimes, to me, it's almost like gambling. You do the same stuff and you get lucky; sometimes it doesn't."

If you want to gamble go to a Casino!

Posted by: capfan89 | March 13, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh it's on ESPN by the way.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 13, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

yeah, all you social deviants! quit going against the grain! such rebels in here!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I love Ovie singing the Eastern Motors jingle. I love the dancing even more. The guy is a riot!

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan26, well played...

Posted by: superpaqman | March 13, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

We psych majors have dirty minds. Blame Freud.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I dont know the history of Eastern Motors, but it is a long-standing DC tradition especially for the Skins.

They have gotten Wizards in the mix...randoms like Ray Lewis, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Jones...It's just spun out of control.

I dont know if they make the big bucks for the commercial, or it it's just a funny thing for DC sports stars to do. Im guessing Eastern Moters doesnt have tons of cash to pay these guys, but the exposure from them is huge. Eastern Motors is a household name in DC.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 13, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Psych is the #1 major at the VCU undergrad school.

Kind of weird.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

And now that the Ovie video is on ESPN and NHL.com, it's going to be a household name well beyond the DC area.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

For as many people that I know that have seen the commercials...and sing the jingle..

I cant say I know anyone who has bought a car there.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 13, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Psych was a great major - fun, interesting, and not especially difficult. You get credit for learning about why people do all the strange and stupid things they do.

Sorry for going so far off-topic though. Go Caps! Beat the Canes! :)

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I bet Cooley talked him into it!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 13, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I didn't have any idea about Eastern Motors but when I asked a native of Baltimore that works with me about them he could sing the song immediately. Funny how that stuff works - and brilliant marketing by Eastern.

Posted by: saintex | March 13, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

If my car worked, I would be at the game tomorrow.

Unfortunately, it is sitting on a lot at a auto repair shop.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know anyone who has bought a car at Eastern Motors. But their slogan is "your job's your credit," so....

Posted by: ralph4100 | March 13, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

So if any STH have (3) tickets for any of the upcoming games and are not using them, I would be glad to purchase them.

stubhub aint cutting it.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I liked this conversation better the first time, when it was on Japers' Rink last week.

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | March 13, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Coming from Caly, I find it odd the whole intermingling of sports icons. I don't think I ever saw anyone from the Lakers chilling out with someone from the Kings. So the whole Cooley and Ovechkin thing makes me cringe slightly. Food for thought...discuss....

Oh, for the record, yeah I'm a fan of the Caps, despite the plethora of talent here in LA. I'd rather the Caps stomp on the Ducks and Kings any day of the week. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 13, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

IIRC Eastern Motors doesn't pay the athletes, at least not in cash, they either give or loan a car to the athlete.

Posted by: koalatek | March 13, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | March 13, 2009 3:56 PM

Remember though, it's not Wysh, and they use stats, hence they don't think for themselves.

Posted by: Section117 | March 13, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I dont remember anyone picking up on this Kozlov interview. Good, sort of old, read.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and gents, if you think Ovi's commercial was bad, see what the Pens did for their local car dealership
(wikky-dee)

And just for S's & G's

Posted by: superpaqman | March 13, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Not deviant actually, just juvenile!

Posted by: majiksea | March 13, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I love the kings.

they are going to be so ridiculously good in a few years.

kopitar for ~1.5/year ??!?!?
talk about a steal

an acquiantance of mine is part of the LA Kings "Ice Crew." Carrlynn

Posted by: richmondphil | March 13, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread:
capsfan26:
there were no great expectations from the team of the 70's - you pretty much liked them or you didn't. there were NO bandwagon fans for those teams. bandwagoners didn't really start for the caps until they acquired rod langway from mon. they started to play defense (much like NJ and Min do now) which lead to some winning seasons. since that point there have been ups and downs and i do appreciate the product they are putting on the ice, even with need for improvement at the blueline. i'd love to see them get the cup this year - but understand that the 'rebuild' may not be complete yet. i do have expectations that we will get beyond the first round. that should be the natural progress (and our reward) for a rebuilding team. a series win against pit or phi would be icing on the cake.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 13, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: superpaqman | March 13, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 13, 2009 4:17 PM

Well said. That's pretty much how I feel too. I've waited this long already, and I think we're going to be contenders for years to come, so I can be patient. Not that I'd mind winning it all this year, mind you, but hoping for it and expecting it are two different things.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that Pens commercial is pretty painful. And I'm not just saying that because it's the Pens. It would be awful no matter who was in it.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 13, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

A day in the life of Scott Hartnell.

8:00am - My mommy wakes me me up and brings me my favorite breakfast. 3 pancakes with jam and a bowl of Trix.

8:30am - I get my jammies off and take a warm bath, no shower because I can't get my hair wet.

9:00am - My mommy drives me to hockey practice in our Honda Odessey. I watch "The Incredibles" in the back seat.

9:30am - I see all my friends at the rink; Jeffy, Ritchie, Danny, Kimmy, Brady. My mom helps me with my pads and sweater.

10:00am - Coach Stevens shows us how to interfere other players without getting caught. He says its a secret.

12:00pm - Practice is over and now we get orange slices and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. No crust mom! Where's my juice box?

1:00pam - Danny comes over and we play x-box.

3:00pm - Elementary School is out and I go beat up as many 3rd graders as I can before its time to leave for the game.

4:00pm - My mom made me Spaghetti and meatsauce for dinner. I put salt in Danny's milk. He -he.

5:00pm - My mom fixes my hair for the game.

5:30pm - We get to the arena.

6:00pm - Coach Stevens reminds me about how to interfere without getting caught.

7:00pm - Its game time. I can't wait until story time tonight.

Posted by: JSchon | March 13, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

JSchon,
you forgot about

Friday 10am - Mommy deposits my big fat paycheck in the bank.

not a bad life, if you can stand to live with that mop of hair...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 13, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse