Caps Look to End Regular Season on a High Note

While the Caps' players were awarded a day off to unwind in Florida, the team's coaches (and the Washington Post's hockey writer) turned their focus to prepping for the playoffs. Here's an early look at Tarik's story for tomorrow's Post:

The Capitals, who on Thursday night clinched the second seed in the Eastern Conference with a 4-2 win in Tampa and broke the franchise's season record for points with 108, could know as soon as Saturday night whether they'll host the Rangers or Canadiens in the quarterfinals next week.
A Montreal loss to Pittsburgh in regulation would clinch the seventh seed for the Rangers and set up a first-round meeting between New York and Washington. But if the Canadiens win or lose in overtime, the Capitals' opponent will be determined by the outcome of the Rangers-Flyers game on Sunday. Should New York and Montreal finish tied in points, the Rangers win the tie-breaker (victories).
The Capitals have fared well against both teams this season.

Check out the full story on the Caps' prospective playoff opponents and regular-season finale here. (Or wait and pay for it in the dead-tree edition; we don't mind.)

We've got plenty of exciting playoff-related things in store -- and we'll start rolling 'em out this weekend -- so stay tuned.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 10, 2009; 5:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Frozen Four Extras: The Big Bad Terriers
Next: Caps 'Business as Usual' in Regular-Season Finale

Comments

tuned.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 10, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I want to know what the players were doing on their day off in Florida...

Posted by: rachel216 | April 10, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:
is it still spring break? they could be in daytona or miami - that's where i'd go if i were in my 20's and earned a couple of mil a year

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Kirk: Yes, it's still spring break. Technically it ends today since there's no school on Saturday/Sunday, obviously.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 10, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

All this chat about the Hart got me wondering about who won it all these times since it was first awarded back in 1924, and how many repeats there were. Kind of interesting.

There's about everyone you'd expect to see listed on the trophy. What I found interesting is the number of repeats, and who didn't.

Single winners include Brett Hull, Jagr, Sakic, Thornton, (my personal fave) Milt Schmidt, Toe Blake. A surprise, too. Maurice Richard only won it once (in 1947).

There were a few that had multiple wins. Hull, Hasek, Cowley, Messier, Phil Espositio all won it 2 times. A few surprises to me was that Mikita and Lafleur only won it twice each. Clarke, Lemieux, Howe, Orr, Morenz and Shore all won 3 or more times with Shore at 4 and Howe at 6 times.

Some of these guys won it in a row. Mikita won in 67 and 68. Lafleur in 77 and 78, Morenz in 31 and 32. Gordie won it in 52 and 53 then again in 57 and 58.

So that's all nice and everything. The real kicker to me was that Gretzky won it 9 times, 8 of them in a row! 1980-87 then again in 89. Good grief!

Posted by: Greg S. | April 10, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Greg, who was it that broke Gretzky's streak? Bossy?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 10, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Just looked it up. Lemieux broke it. Bossy retired that last year of Gretzky's streak and apparently never won it.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 10, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

The Panthers play in Sunrise, which is the South Florida/Miami area. Since Kozlov makes his home in South Florida, I'd guess they went to a local place for some good jerk chicken and just chilled.

I spent severeal years living on tequila and sunshine and I can tell you if you are a local, SB is kind of a pain to deal with. They are probably avoiding crowds, my guess.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 10, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Addicted reader, but first time blogger. I live in Maryland and was wondering if there are viewing parties here rather than/in addition to the ones in Virginia. I'd be interested in going for away playoff games if anyone knows of any.

This is my first year as a season ticket holder and it won't be my last. What an amazing year it's been.

Posted by: Laich_fan | April 10, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

if Ovie wins the Hart, he'll be the first back to back winner since Dominic Hasek won his second in 1998 with Buffalo. (since then, Hasek went to the Wings, won a Cup, retired, played beer league in Prauge, un-retired, won another Cup, retired again!)

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 10, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh where is everyone? Nobody seems to be posting tonight. I'll admit there are no hockey games of importance to us going on.

About possible playoff opponents. Overall, we've tended to beat the Rangers this year, in defensive struggles. (Last game, we lost in a shootout OT. It didn't help that both Semin and Kozlov were out.)

We beat Montreal in more wide open affairs, except for the one where Jurcina lost the puck at the last minute. (It was a bad day for people nicknamed "Juice". My younger daughter, who was nicknamed "Juicy" back in kindergarten, was pretty sick that night.) No, Jurcina is not Slovakian for 'goat'. I assume it's a form of "George". BTW, the name 'Kozlov' is Russian for 'goat'.

Both NY and Montreal struggled in the second half of the year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 10, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Alex Giroux for getting the Les Cunningham award as AHL MVP!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 10, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes, where is everybody?

I cannot remember when we find out who gets the Hart trophy. Could someone tell me? It seems that we wait and wait.

I am happy the Canes lost. They were gaining too much momentum and had to be stopped.

Posted by: caraveli | April 10, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I want the Caps be the team that nails that final nail into Les Habitants Centennial Celebration >:) evil, but oh so hilarious. I want to see the entire city of Montreal cry.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 10, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

nash currently 9th in the WC is losing 5-2 to min near the end of the 2nd - in their last game
stl is up 2-1 over cbj at the half way point

if nash loses the 7/8 go to anh and stl

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

caraveli, we'll know when its announced at the awards show on June 18.

unless the NHL screws up like last year and puts the "Ovie MVP" shirts up for sale a week early!

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 10, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Check this out. I am looking up various predictions for this year's Hart trophy winner (must be really hard up for a hockey fix) and everyone I have read so far predicts Ovechkin, like the 3 writers below.

Posted by: caraveli | April 10, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

June 18! Damn! No wonder I remember it taking for ever. How can we wait that long?

Posted by: caraveli | April 10, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

caraveli:
with any luck it will be just after the caps win their final game of the season!!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

From the previous ...

Kirk:
Nah, I know that you're always just having fun and that you'd never be mean to little ol' me! ;-) BTW, I think it would actually be "Rock der Rot" (believe it or not) or even "Rock die Rote" (depending on what the red is referring to), but I could be wrong - we'll have to have one of the real German speakers clarify that for us. Also, for someone who asked that things stay in English, you sure have popped out a lot of German!!

trunkenmath:
Sent you an email. (Uebrigens, was bedeutet trunkenmath? Drunken ... ?!?)

FCKoeln1:
For the guys who can't grow a beard, they just end up looking like Crosby did last season!! ;-) (Some are smart enough to just try for a goatee or some other facial hair pattern that is less demanding.) BTW, RE: your post to Kirk, "I think it is easier for me to understand your English than your German ;)" HA!! That's pretty funny! :-) (Sorry, Kirk!) I hope I am doing better than the online translator?!? :-/ Let me give it another shot ... Ich hoffe das Sie ein Email zum Trunkenmath schreiben. Ich habe das schon getan. Wir koennen alle mitsprechen! Bis bald!

Rhino40:
Thanks for the info on the Eszett, but that sounds too much like work! ;-) Besides, I have found that "ss" has become quite acceptable in the Internet world (just as "e" after a vowel has become the standard in place of an Umlaut ... speaking of, you forgot your Umlaut in Tschuess!! ;-)). Seriously, thank you and I must say that it's nice to see so many people speaking German out there ... who knew?!? :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 10, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

--Boo--:
i see you've changed computers :)

web translators are great - i can get the gist of it when i go from ger to eng - i have no idea how it turns out when i use the eng to ger

translated to:
I hope that you an email to the Trunkenmath write. I already did that. We can along-speak all! Until soon

i wish i knew a least one other language. my mother is german - her parents came to the US from Germany - i should get the rosetta series. i've heard that you never to old to learn - but i've got to be getting close

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, *I* was at a baseball game earlier, but I got bored and left. That's a hockey fan's perspective for you. "There's nothing going ON!" Oh, how disillusioned I feel... not, LOL!

Right now, I'm watching the Blues-Blue Jackets game and hoping the Blue Jackets can pull out from their 3-1 deficit to win, because I want the Blues OUT of the playoffs. (Who, me, vindictive? Naah. OK, maybe a little.)

Posted by: irockthered | April 10, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Capt Kirk: I'm in AZ. Hiking trails in Tucson. Supposed to be cold and rainy tomorrow, so I will go to movie studio in Old Tucson.

Trip was planned to get back Tuesday night, just in time for playoffs. For years, I could take vacation whenever and not worry. Now I have to think Playoffs.

I am doing Grand Canyon again, but last week of Sept - before season.

Caps are looking good! Heavy favorite for 1st Rd. Then we'll see on match-ups. They CAN beat anyone - will they?

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 10, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Boo- / --Boo--:
Rock the Red = Schaukeln Sie das rote
Schaukeln Sie das rote = Swing the red
the translator is trying to figure out what the context is

Rock = Fels
so: Fels das rot or rote

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:
i've been in AZ since late 97 - never been to the canyon - it's only 4 hours away and not going anywhere anytime soon - i'll get there eventually. hope you enjoying your trip - temps should be about the same as fla - but just a tad less humidity. i was in ft meyers back in oct for a wedding, didn't much care for how muggy it was. went home to visit my parents in feb (in MD) - i don't want to go back there between nov and mar EVER, EVER again.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Kirk:
Yes I did change computers! :-) (Darn cookies.) The online translators are definitely better at giving you context of what has already been written than helping you to speak in another language. For example, Germans say Rock Musik, hence the reason I think they would also use "rock" in the context of "rock the red". But I am far from fluent ... I could be wrong. Anyway, I have heard good things about Rosetta Stone. I bought it for Mr. Boo last time we went to Germany. He never got around to using it but I played with it. I don't think it really works if you already have a grasp of the language (hard to explain in a blog post), but I can see how it would work for someone who was new to the language. I may try it for French or Italian one of these days ...

irockthered:
I've never understood how any hockey fan could like baseball - the two are worlds apart. (I think they secretly just like the beer and the dogs ...)

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 10, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

aw, I love both hockey and baseball, but for very different reasons.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 10, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie:
Does one of the reasons include hotdogs and beer? :-) Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people who love both, I just don't get it. (Maybe I would feel differently if I liked beer ...) Now I would be the first in line to see hockey in a ballpark! :-D Is that good enough? BTW, did you see my post about your husband?

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 10, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

--Boo--:
i'm going to stick with 'old' school german
FELS DAS ROT!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

What a comeback story by the St. Louis Blues, that's superb for that franchise to see their youth pay off like that ahead of schedule considering how late in the season they were buried at the bottom of the West standings.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 10, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

--Boo--:
it's plural: hotdogs and beers
sorry for the interruption - carry on

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Kirk:
That's really "old" ... like stone age old, because Fels is a noun (as in a rock, not to rock).

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 10, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, not a beer(s) drinker ...

(BTW, that was supposed to say really "old" school.)

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 10, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Boo:
rock in a noun - as in Rock them until They're Red

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Kirk:
LOL!! That's just wrong. (Very Philly of you.)

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 10, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Nashville is out. There goes the 5 CEN teams in the playoffs.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 10, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm off ... toodles!

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 10, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

--Boo--:
you're fun - you always get it

stl is in
anh and minn still for the final team in the west
anh has a one point lead over minn and is tied with dal at 1 in the second. an anh win or ot/so loss and minn is out

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 10, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@--Boo-- - I was very much a baseball fan when I could regularly go to the Bowie Baysox games that were basically in my back yard. (I could walk outside my flat and watch the fireworks, if I wanted to.) But I moved several miles away from Bowie, and major league games are a LOT more expensive... still, I'm more of a baseball fan on the television or radio than I am live; the lack of play-by-play (or any commentary at all) between pitches gets seriously dull very quickly... :-p

Besides - I have to do *something* in the off-season...

...maybe I'll try watching soccer...

Posted by: irockthered | April 11, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan - It may be a great comeback story, but as long as they have David Backes, I will *never* cheer for that team. :-p

Posted by: irockthered | April 11, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

From the previous ...

@Kirk, boo:
I am not a professional translator or interpreter but I would recommend not to translate "rock the red" - there simply is no adequate 1 to 1 translation possible - so just keep the slogan as it is.
It wouldn't be problem at all. For example:
In Cologne, sometimes we use an old song from Queen "we will rock you" when 1. FC Köln is playing. It sent shivers down your spine when nearly 60.000 fans are singing "we will rock you", clapping, and stumping their feet - the whole building is rocking in the truest sense of words which sometimes can be a little bit frightening as you can feel the vibration of the floor.

However, if you want to translate it into a German slogan, you would have to find three words with the same meaning - which want be easy ...
An example:
"rock the boat" can be a slogan, but "sorge für Unruhe" want do it ("schüttel das Boot" would be the 1 to 1 translation).

btw red and white are also the colours of 1. FC Köln, so we could also use "Rock the Red" (if it is allowed) trying to "intimidate" our opponents.

@trunkenmath:
Sent you an email

... sorry for the long post ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 11, 2009 3:28 AM | Report abuse

cannot help but laugh when i hear caps fans getting excited about the playoffs. watch this clip and tell me if you think the caps realistically have a chance of matching this kind of intensity

Posted by: maven1918 | April 11, 2009 3:46 AM | Report abuse

Just watched the clip and my answer is yes we do.

Posted by: capsfan01 | April 11, 2009 4:30 AM | Report abuse

Craig Custance at sporting news picks the Caps to come out of the East ...

... astonishingly he puts the Bruins above them in the power rankings.
His concern is José, not the intensity or physicality of the playoff games.

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 11, 2009 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Look! A troll and we have not even started the playoffs yet! Yeah!!! (Isn't he a cute little thing? Dontcha just wanna hug him?!? :-D)

irockthered:
Soccer is a good choice ... it's about as close as you can get to hockey without going to broomball or ringette (and good luck finding a lot of opportunities to follow those! :-)). Don't get me wrong, I'm not degrading our great American past-time (it must be good - it is arguably the most popular sport in the US), it's just not for me. No harm, no foul.

FCKoeln1:
Point taken about translating Rock the Red. Now that I think about it, there's a whole lotta English singing going on at Oktoberfest. (Country Roads?!? Really?!?) I even heard the people who owned a B&B that I stayed at in Austria singing Happy Birthday to one of their kids!

Kirk:
Clearly my mind is as twisted as yours. ;-)

Watching the top draft prospects review. Good grief ... Traveres and Hedman were born in 1990; Duchene and Kane were born in 91. How old am I?!?

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 11, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Aw sweet! We have a troll before the playoffs even start? And it's a new name? I was getting bored of all the old ones. Yawn.

Good morning! Can't believe today is the last game of the regular season. Trying to pay bills and clean house and read CI, and my cats have other ideas about how I should be spending my time.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 11, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

maven1918: I kinda want Montreal to play Boston now! Wow! They will absolutely kill each other.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

hmmm SC1907, maven1908 -- either same person with new name or the trolls really liked the turn of the last century lol

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 11, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

@rachel216: I was thinking the same thing after watching that game. MTL is unquestionably the easier team for us to handle, but man what a match MTL/BOS would be for us to watch.

I'd argue that it's not necessary for us to meet that, and the level of intensity we do have to meet, we can and have met. Remember that those two teams have 85 years of history behind them, most of it ugly. We just don't have a lot of teams that actively hate us like those two teams actively hate each other, and that's okay. We don't have to be either of those teams. We just have to beat them. ;)

At the end of the day, whichever team we get is all good. NYR makes me a little nervous because we haven't faced Tortorella's crew yet this year, and they're better than they were under Renney, but that uncertainty should make the boys come out a bit harder.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 11, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey where's the morning reading list? Sheesh, 3-5 posts a day by WaPo staff is just not enough for me, sheesh!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 11, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Ovie: two goals and two assists tonight. Hopefully Malkin gets zero. How awesome would that be? That'd be a perfect ending to the regular season! =D

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@rachel216:

If Ovie would accomplish that, it would be great - on the other hand, I would rather see a complete team effort, e. g. scoring from other guys, as a tune up for the playoff "to end the regular season on a high note" for all players ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 11, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

@ maven1918

Wow..that was pretty intense action. Not sure if we can "match" that intensity. Being that we schooled the B's and the Habs this season.....I think we got it covered!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 11, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I would personally love to see Flash get his 20th goal tonight. I think he mentioned that that was his goal for the season, to hit 20. He was so great before the pneumonia, and no doubt that took an effect on his game after. He seemed to be getting back to his earlier self in the last few weeks, and that would just be sweet to see him reach that goal.

But hey, if OV got a whole bunch of points tonight, I'd bee kool with that. Locker mentioned in the last game how tight knit the team is, and how everyone was trying to feed OV last game to help him out, so I think if he were to gobble up some more points tonight, that would be part of a team effort :)

So sad to see this season end, but so sweet to feel the beginning of the playoffs just around the corner.

(sorry to make this so long) An earlier thread asked about special moments....here are mine:

1. Seeing Stretch in the pre-game warm-ups (and all the hoopla that followed)
2. Watching the Washington Bears (as I called them) play their hearts out for our great December run.
3. All the games vs. the B's (Johnson was amazing in the first one, Seming tore them up in at least two of them...)
4. Semin's incredible start
5. OV's antics (all star goal to hot stick, I was right on the glass for that one, in the corner where he was looking up at one point at Green, so extra special).

and as for more personal moments:

Road trip to Panthers, Tampa and Carolina game in March.

and

The hockey in heels event-- Nuevy was sooo enthusiastic when he was helping me figure out how to use the goalie glove :)

Anyways, Go Caps! Thanks for this wonderful season! I will gladly take these highs in along with all the lows I have followed them through, but, I have a feeling the next couple of years will be mostly highs!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

rachel:
Let's hope for a hat trick and a couple/few assists against a downtrodden, depressed team that leaves their game in the locker room.

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 11, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

FCKoeln1:
As much as I prefer a team showing, I would rather tonight be all Ovi all the time so that he can catch Malkin! :-) (After tonight they can go back to more balanced team action.)

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 11, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

-The_Stanley_Caps

Okay, that is SOOOOOOOO unfair!!! ;( Can you tell me about it? Not fair.

Boo: Yes. I want to see a great team effort, an effort that will make us very confident going into the playoffs and hopefully along with that an Ovie 5 point night, what a way that would be to end the season! Everything would be perfect!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

--Boo--

d'accord, I hope Ovi can catch Malkin :-)

... however, as The_Stanley_Caps wrote, there is no conflict between the individual (short-term) perspective of Ovi getting more points than Malkin and the team (long-term) perspective of being successful in the playoffs

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 11, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

rachel216:
Now that's a plan!

FCKoeln1:
Amen! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 11, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

TJ Oshie won "goal of the year" on NHL.com. I don't get that. Ovie's goal against the Canadiens was so much better. His goal against the Sabres was better than that... whatever.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

-The_Stanley_Caps

Okay, that is SOOOOOOOO unfair!!! ;( Can you tell me about it? Not fair.

~Rachel216

One of the activities (I believe there were five stations at the event), was getting to block shots on net. Boyd Gordon was there to shoot a few (foam) pucks at you, while Nuevy was there to help you put on gloves and teach you how to catch the puck. It was just pretty fun...I think Nuevy was a pretty recent call up at the time, and he just seemed really happy to be at the event. I had never had the opportunity to play goalie, and I made that fairly obvious, so he was cheering me on when I actually caught a few of the pucks..."good squeeeeze". Before I left the station, I asked to take a picture with him (I had not seen anyone else in my group do this), and he seemed thrilled that anyone did, and was really all smiles (many times it seems players try and play it cool and not smile in pictures, because they are soo used to being asked).

Anyway, it was a very fun event....I am sure many women here have good/similar memories of it!

If you are interested in seeing the Nuevy pic, let me know, I can email it or something...

Go Caps

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 11, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Couple of theories, rachel216:

- A lot of people wanted to see someone else win.
- Everyone is so used to Ovi doing spectacular things that it didn't stick out as much as Oshie's did. Ovi's got a higher bar than everyone else.
- It's fan balloting. You do the math.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Maven,

That was a cool clip. The Bruins are definitely a tough team. Chara is one tough dude. The Bruins first goal was a beauty, it reminded me of the Caps' Russian line when they played for the Russians - the "cute" play, it seems so effective.

I think we will see a different Caps team from the one that has played in the last few games. BB had me scared with the line shuffles, but his explanation a couple of days ago eased my mind.

Posted by: opita1 | April 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@mavin1918
you must be a bruins fan. obviously you didnt see the playoff series between caps & philthy phliers. caps forced game 7 & could have won if the refs stoped the flyers from attempting rape on Huet.
The Flyers worry me. The bruins dont. As stated before the Caps manhandled boston this year.
Looking forward to the CAPS going farther than the first round this year.
Lets Go CAPS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Puckthepens | April 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps: I couldn't get tickets this year, but I'm hoping to get them for next year.

I like Neuvirth. :) He gets lost in the Varlamov hype a lot, and his style is different and not as exciting to watch, but he's a plenty good goalie, and I think he'll do well at the NHL level with some more seasoning.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 11, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

that clip that maven posted really has a lot of relevance to the caps playoff chances. two long time rivals (one fighting for their playoff lives) beating the crap out of each other really means something to the caps. the only thing that clip means to me is that it confirms that jack edwards is the worst homer of an announcer i've ever heard.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 11, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Morning.

I think it's great to finally have a game with nothing at all at stake. Let's play loose and let's see a lot of scoring! Ovi to Flash, Flash to Ovi, Feds to Ovi, Ovi to Fehr, Ovi to. . . .

Posted by: Sonyask | April 11, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

kittypawz: Yeah, I guess so. But honestly Oshie's goal didn't make me go "OMG, wow, that was unbelievable, I don't think I'll ever see that again."

The_Stanley_Caps: Ok, I'm totally jealous. You're so lucky. ;) Yes I would like to see the Neuvy pic. rachel21692@yahoo.com

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: maven1918 | April 11, 2009 3:46 AM |

LOL...dude, marry murphy sucks.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 11, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 10:23 AM |

TJ Oshie is a beast, and yeah ovie and all...but goal of the year should have been given to Bobby Ryan.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 11, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I thought Oshie's goal was the weakest of the bunch. Fan balloting.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 11, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Yep, that's fan balloting. Oshie's goal wasn't that great. I've seen plenty better than that, I like Richard Zednik's goal better. If you ask me, that's was much more special than Oshie's goal. I mean, haven't we seen MANY goals like Oshie's this year? Dekes a defender and the goalie and scores. Ovie's was truly special which is why his video on youtube got over 1 million views.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

It'd be a nice night for Ovie to get that first career NHL five goal game eh?

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | April 11, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

The_Stanley_Caps: Got the email. You're awesome. Thanks so much for sharing that pic of Neuvy. And it works just fine. Yes I do agree with you that Neuvy is a total cutie, and it doesn't matter your age! Heck, he even looks cute with his eyes closed! ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

TheVampireCorndog: I'm feelin' a hat trick tonight. Wasn't Ovie's last hat trick against the Panthers, in Florida?! Do it again!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 11, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

My fiance thinks Neuvy looks like a little kid and anyone who thinks he's attractive is a creep.

just sayin.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 11, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

That being said, I have a huge crush on Neuvy.

would.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 11, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: Sure, no problem.

Hey, nothing wrong with liking Nuevy! I do not really have a crush on him though, but I do think he is adorable! He is young enough for that to be sort of okay, right...? :)

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 11, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse