Caps looking for No. 5 tonight

The Caps will be looking to win five in a row for the first time since a seven-game streak from December through January tonight when they host Philly at Verizon Center. But to keep the streak going, they'll have to beat the Flyers a little bit short-handed.

As I mentioned earlier, both Eric Fehr (upper-body) and Quintin Laing (flu) will be sidelined, which means defenseman Tyler Sloan will have to shift to left wing for the second time this season.

Jose Theodore, meantime, is expected to start in goal for the Caps. In his last three starts, Theodore has a 2.06 goals against average and a .931 save percentage. In fact, his .914 save percentage is his best since 2003-04 and ranks ninth (among goalies with five or more starts).

Coach Bruce Boudreau wouldn't divulge his lines, so we'll have to wait until closer to game time (perhaps until warmups) to find out if Alexander Semin will be reunited with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom.

Tonight marks the start of a challenging four-games-in-six nights stretch for the Caps. With so many games in so few days, Boudreau said he's not going to manage game minutes but instead plans to cut back on practice this week. In fact, the Caps might not have another practice this week.

Some other notes and quotes from the morning skate:

*Looks like Flyers sniper Simon Gagne will be out tonight with a lower-body injury that has slowed him all season.

*Asked again about Ovechkin's slew foot and whether the two-time MVP has to be more careful about how he plays, Boudreau said: "He's had 847 hits in his career and that was the second fine for something like that. I think it's few and far between for Alex. If they're going to be looking at guys, there's an awful lot more guys in the league that have done things that they should be looking at a little bit closer. One being a guy we're playing against tonight."

Boudreau, of course, was taking a jab at Flyers captain Mike Richards, who escaped disciplinary action for his hit on Florida's David Booth last week.

*Defenseman Mike Green was wearing a brace on his left knee and was walking a little more slowly than usual after the morning skate. But he said he's fine and will play tonight.

*Boudreau on Flyers Coach John Stevens putting rugged winger Arron Asham on the top line with Scott Hartnell and Richards: "It's hard for them not to put a tough guy on every line. How can they avoid it? They've got a lot of toughness."

*Boudreau said Boyd Gordon could return to practice tomorrow. That's good news for the Caps, who have had faceoff issues in recent games.

*I'll check in later with a lineup.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 27, 2009; 12:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fehr, Laing sidelined tonight
Next: Tonight's lineup: Flyers at Caps

Comments

Laing's done a fine job; sorry he's gotta be out.

I'm hoping to see Backstrom and Semin on the second line to bring balance and challenge Philly on all cylinders.

Should be a great game tonight.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 27, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

We have four straight wins? Sure weren't playing like it...

Posted by: Raber | October 27, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Acoin will be skating on Ovie's line - he did a great job last game.

Given the guys out, how 'bout these lines:

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Acoin
Giroux/Morrison/Semin
Clark/Laich/Knuble
Sloan/Steckel/Bradley

I know, Clark on LW, but he's a veteran, he can do it.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 27, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like complaining about a winning streak. I would think folks around here would be thrilled that any team in DC can put up a W of any kind.

Posted by: pebowers | October 27, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Bruce said Boyd Gordon could return to practice tomorrow but also said there wont be practice....

A true Zorn moment

Posted by: SA-Town | October 27, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pebowers | October 27, 2009 1:20 PM

Haha. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad we're winning. I prefer the wins we had against Boston and Toronto to these ones though :-P. Better for my heart and the team's psyche.

Plus, show of hands, who actually cares about the Redskins since the Snyder era? Same thing happened with the Orioles due to Angelos - I just stopped caring once ownership started being incompetent.

Posted by: Raber | October 27, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

In honor of Semin's return to the line-up:

Posted by: IceNutz | October 27, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

1. Brads and Richards mix it up tonight.
2. Flyers implode.
3. Caps win 5-1.

Posted by: saintex | October 27, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Green is wearing a brace and walking around a little slower than usual... Yesterday Coach said that he was sore, but it's not his knee... Yeah right.

I'm glad he will be in the lineup tonight

Posted by: griz0615 | October 27, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

And that's why they call him Gabby. Love it!

Posted by: CapsChick | October 27, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

ok...big test tonight to see if we can get a solid win against a solid team. the lines i hope to see tonight are:

ov-morrison-knuble
semin-backstrom-laich
giroux-aucoin-clark
sloan-steckle-brads

Posted by: CapsSkins | October 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I think some people here are misinterpreting what they think they are reading. If I say, "The Caps are a great team but need a Mark Tinordi-type D-man to get over the top," I'm not complaining about the team. I'm saying they are a great team short one player from being perhaps a Cup favorite. The offense is clearly fine if unbalanced (no top checking forward - again, not a complaint) the goaltending MIGHT be good enough (no goalie is a proven Cup winner until he's a Cup winner) but the defense is sometimes loose. I think most any fan would agree a crease-clearing, snarling defensemen would help.

BTW, I'd love it if Ovie and Richards went at it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1 -- I don't think anyone's complaining about your contributions here. What's tiresome are the consistent [fill in the blank] [sucks; is weak; lame, etc.] and this team will never prosper.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 27, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I am wrong but heard last night the Tarik will a guest on "Hockey Night", the Canadian based program that airs on sat. radio. It is a great program that help fill the information void for those of us who don't live in a hockey centric community.

Posted by: norfolkoms | October 27, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

CapsSkins -- I like those lines for tonight.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 27, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Gaah. Green in a knee brace against the Flyers? Richards is the least of his worries. :-/ Someone on the Flyers team is going to target his knee, big time. And if they do, I hope they are suspended for the rest of the season and fined out the wazoo. Not. Cool!

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Wemiss21: You can't split up Aucoin and Giroux; they're practically married.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 27, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask: I wasn't posting due to myself, and I especially I agree when people put "Semin is a girl," or whatever.

But, some go to the other extreme, and if you aren't a complete cheerleader, they call you a whiner. A true fan is objective about his team.

1) We have a great offense, but the forwards don't backcheck
2) Our goalies aren't playoff tested - yet
3) We don't have a first-pair, defensive defenseman.

Due to the above three reasons, we aren't currently the Cup favorite. Right now we are in the Elite Eight. I do much prefer having my team wide open and exciting; however, as joek points out, those teams usually don't drink from the Cup. as he's pointed out, a million times, even the Oilers had Kevin Lowe.

It's also true that Semin and Fehr have trouble staying in the line-up. This doesn't make them sissies. Some people from Mother Nature are just more prone to injury.

I still want to see Ovie beat Richards like a rag doll and get a Gordie Howe hat trick in the process.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 27, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

first sentence very unclear - I especially think it's wrong when people post "semin = girl" etc.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 27, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask -
Amen regarding the haters.

On another subject, I had an hour long trip on Saturday morning, and turned on the NHL network on XM. They were playing the Hockey Diaries featuring Laich and Alzner. Many have already heard it, but for those that haven't, it's a radio project where they were given tape recorders to make segments throughout the season last year. I'd heard it before, and still couldn't turn it off. It's one of the best radio pieces I've heard - irrespective of the fact that it's about two players on the Caps. Karl's segment on being called up and playing in his first NHL game is excellent, and so is Brooks' description of the shift last year where he blocked three shots. The full project is on the web - for those interested, the link is www.mediachameleon.org, or just enter "hockey diaries" in Google.

Posted by: hook99 | October 27, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough.

Many of us feel we have most of the pieces of the puzzle and that our current corps, in conjunction with a key trade perhaps, can adjust to meet the aims you outline. At very least it is early in the season.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 27, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Hockey Night blows

Posted by: Chad8 | October 27, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1: I don't know, at the rate Schultzie and ShaMo and Juice are going, our blueline might not be as completely hopeless as the wisdom seems to go :) I'm still not convinced that a shut-down stud is the only way to a Cup, though it's certainly an easier way.

Honestly, Caps fans as a general rule tend to be a very, very negative and somewhat martyred bunch. You can tell who the long-timers are because the glass is always half-empty for most of 'em. I've noticed this since I started hanging out on the boards and become one myself. I've never heard so much crying and fussing and freaking out about four wins in a row in all my life as I have on this board this week - it's a reason I don't come here much anymore.

While I'd like to see us dominate every team, every night, I have to admit that I think I'd get kind of bored after a while and start taking the Caps for granted, which could be bad. It's a long season, and we're just getting warmed up. Yeah, there's problems that have to be fixed, but we've got all season. It's a marathon, not a sprint, unless you want to tell me that Colorado's going to raise the Cup tomorrow. (I'd say the Rangers, but Gaborik just went down again.) I for one would rather seem them warm up over the course of the season and steamroller into the playoffs instead of coasting like last year.

I wonder how much of the sackcloth-and-ashes talk is really the DC angst over the Redskins sucking as horribly as they do this year, the Nats sucking, DC United being faily, and the Wizards barely having gotten started yet. The one team that was supposed to lift DC sports out of EPIC FAIL-hood isn't perfect? OHNOES!!!111!1!!!!!!!1!11!

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

that and it's been a long time for DC to have a championship...none for the Caps. When you see the Tampa's and Carolina's of the world hoist the chalice before us- well, I get why people are losing perspective.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Marian is brittle, well, injury prone:

Marian Gaborik was held out of practice Tuesday as the Rangers forward deals with an undisclosed injury he suffered after colliding with a player in the Monday's 5-2 win over the Coyotes.

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 27, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@lyle: I don't think people are "hating." IMO, there is a frustration and impatience with the same problems over the years that do not seem to get addressed.

From what I've read here on CI, there are a certain number of people who are stuck in a mindset of "there's only one way to win a Cup" and/or a mindset of "I want my father's Caps back". If it's the latter, they're better off going and rooting for the Islanders. No, seriously, that's not a joke or a slam. The Islanders are thin on talent but they always work hard, each and every night. They really are a hell of a lunchpail team that is very easy to pull for.

My advice to the frustrated is "calm down". The issues have been noted by coaching - they've said so repeatedly. However, it's a habit and habits aren't broken overnight or even in a few games. Chances are that they're ramping up gradually - we had issues with the power play in October last year, too, if you recall :) If I still see it in January, I'll worry, but who ever won a Cup in October? Haven't we all said that the Cup is the goal and the regular season championships be damned?

The object is to win a Cup, not to win it according to someone's pet formula. It's bad in sports and in life to get so stuck in a single model of What Works (tm) that you miss the opportunities to exploit what you are given or another way to climb the mountain that nobody noticed before. If it works, chill and go with it, and fix the things that don't. Nothing is going to be perfect, and we don't have to be the Cup favorites to win it all - in fact, isn't it a little sweeter to prove the haters wrong?

Sit back, have an overpriced beer, and enjoy the ride, folks. The coaching staff really does know what they're doing.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Flyers didn't have a morning skate at all.

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 27, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ph Philthy!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@Lylewimbledon -

That's actually a good point-haters was probably too strong a term. The pessimism is understandable, especially when problems from last year reoccur. I would not say the off season was a failure though. Morrison and Knuble are working out well - Knuble will be especially helpful in the playoffs as net presence was sorely lacking last year. Re defense, I think there's hope that a solution may lie in Hershey with Alzner and Carlson.

Posted by: hook99 | October 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

A true Zorn moment

Posted by: SA-Town | October 27, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

This says they MIGHT not have another practice this week, not that they won't have practice tomorrow.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 27, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

life is not all sunshine and ponies, nor should it be. however, the negativity here on this board is out of control, and honestly, it's terribly off-putting.

it's depressing to come over here and read people putting down the players all the time, and it's especially depressing to know that the players sometimes read this board!

i guess my feeling is, if you don't like what you see on this team, go watch another team. and take your insults with you.

Posted by: spinner-33 | October 27, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@spinner-33 - THANK you! Totally agreed! I am sick and tired of hearing "so-and-so's a pansy" or "so-and-so's weak/fragile/a girl/whatever".

And for the record, people claiming that professional hockey players are "girls" because they go to bed where they belong when they're sick? Clearly, you've never met a "girl," because we are worse about pushing ourselves into relapse than men will ever be! And we are tougher than we look, for all the "fragile wallflower" stereotypes we have to put up with.

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Some very insightful comments here. I'd add that last season we peaked too soon and suffered from a soft schedule to close out the regular season. There remain over 70 games to go here, and the opportunities to experiment, gel, and even trade are great. I'm thinking it could be a very enjoyable ride.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"losing creates thoughts."

Jim Zorn

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey - this is just great! Another Caps game I won't be able to watch because DirecTV still has not worked out a deal with Comcast to carry VS - this is simply fantastic! Neither of these two give a #%^$ about their customers!

Comcast sucks.
DirecTV sucks.

Posted by: hersheybearfan | October 27, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@hersheybearfan - Where are you located?

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

It's also worth noting that hockey players being in a bed and not a locker room when they are sick is SMART POOL on the part of players and coaches. A locker room is a very intimate setting and a contagious bug can shoot through one from just one sick player in a matter of days. Far better for one sick player to stay home when he's sick than to infect half the rest of the team and suddenly we're playing the Philly's and the Boston's of the world with a team that's half chocolate? No thank you!

And spinner-33 is right - realism is one thing, negativity is another, and it seems like all the Caps boards ever talk about is what went wrong. Very seldom do I ever see discussion of beautiful goals like Mike Green's against the Islanders - it's always about what isn't right. Not to say that what isn't right should never be discussed, but it gets done to death.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@Kitty

I love when you talk about intimate settings!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2009 2:29 PM

I just bought an 18-pack of Bud at Publix for $13.49. I really hope that was a fair and reasonable price.

All I want that the team doesn't have is a defenseman who skates fast and snarls and can knock down Crosby in front of the net and get away with it. My birthday is Nov 24th and that's what I want.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 27, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - $13.49 for an 18-pack of Bud? You got ripped off. Bud is nasty! ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

As for a defenseman who can knock down Crosby in front of the net and get away with it? Keep believing in faeries and unicorns, Tom... someone has to. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

kitty: After Green's assist, I pointed out that the Islander announcer said he was the "Paul Coffey of this generation." BTW, I don't think I bash or talk down any of the players, and I don't think any here said I did, but I do point out that some guys aren't quite good enough in their roles to get us the Cup. There is a difference between out and out negativity and honest, objective opinion.

I want Ovechkin to beat Richards up and down the ice.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 27, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

IRTR: His initials are DP and he's a Western Canadian boy and Cherry loves him.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 27, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

You may not believe this but....Hershey!
(well, darn close to it)

Why - is there an 'over-the-air' channel I can get with my rabbit ears to get this? LOL

Posted by: hersheybearfan | October 27, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

DENVER (AP) -The Colorado Avalanche confirm that backup goalie Peter Budaj has the swine flu.

OK, why Caps can't confirm Semin and others had it?

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 27, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

John Stevens should bench Richards if he fights. There are more qualified guys on the Flyers squad who can accomplish that job rather handily, especially with no designated pugilist on the Caps roster. If our vaunted power play doesn't click early tonight, expect a long, Philthy night at the hands of the Flyers. Actually, maybe that'd be the best thing that could happen as it will shoot holes in McPhee's misplaced enthusiasm about not carrying a tough guy.

And, before anyone starts with the inane Red Wings comparisons, remember they picked up some sandpaper in this guy:

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 27, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I think the Caps are more than capable of winning without having someone on the roster that fights for the league lead in penalty minutes. I'd rather have someone that can put the puck in the net rather than his fist in someone's face. (Hey...just my 2 cents).

Posted by: hersheybearfan | October 27, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

OK, why Caps can't confirm Semin and others had it?

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 27, 2009 3:58 PM

There are many different strains of flu, and doctors have acknowledged that many more people will die this season from "normal, everyday" flu than from the media hyped swine flu. So, jumping to conclusions about what kind of flu someone has only adds to the hysteria. Hopefully, Budaj will recover and not infect his family and friends. The rest of us would do well to be vigilant and not be sucked into the hype machine regarding the swine flu and be more concerned about the flu that everyone is exposed to on an every yearly basis over the course of our entire lives. Or, perhaps some time should be spent contemplating why pharma companies were granted widespread immunity by the US government from being sued for mishaps related to the untested swine flu vaccines:

Hopefully, the Caps won't suffer from the effects of any illness this year and can ice the best team possible every night. LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 27, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Richards = hypocrite Check his comments from last season:

"We knew he was gonna be running around a bit with maybe some dirty hits, but we shrugged those off, we played hard against him and we didn't give him too much."

A reporter followed up with a question about Ovechkin's run at Jeff Carter; "Well, he jumped at him," Richards said. "I mean, how many times is he gonna have to do that before he hurts somebody? And then you don't even get a call against it. I mean, if he hits him there, next thing you know the guy's knocked out, head shot, the guy's hurt. So I thought it would have been a penalty. But apparently not."

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 27, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I can understand the "glass-is-half-empty" attitude. I've been watching the Caps since they started their 14 year run to the playoffs in the 80's, and the lack of a Cup with so many amazing players through the years has been frustrating. While I feel that some of the name calling is inappropriate and unproductive, it's also human nature to pay more attention to the negatives. But that doesn't mean I don't cheer just as hard as the next person for the team.

GO CAPS!!!

Too bad I'm now in Texas and can only watch the one game a month or so on Versus :(

Posted by: mytwocents | October 27, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Amen, @mytwocents. Lucky for us, tonight is one of those games! I'll be watching the Caps and looking for dear ol' dad in the stands :)

(btw, 1- there are tv streams available online for most games if you missed that discussion a few weeks ago. and 2- did you experience any anger over Comcast's "Free Preview" of NHL Center Ice that was really just a black screen with occasional clips of a picture or sound? I was really excited to see more than a couple games on TV, but no luck)

Posted by: DCTexan90 | October 27, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Another advantage to living in FL. I get VS on cable with no problems. I get to watch the Caps tonight.........Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Caps!!!

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | October 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

i agree that the negative has to be discussed. but practice saying nice things once in a while. or all that's going to post over here is grumpy old geezers.

Posted by: spinner-33 | October 27, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Points well taken. However, the reasons that have been floated for no designated tough guy ("we'll make 'em pay on the power play/more production from the 4th line) haven't really come to pass. Granted, it's a limited sample with only 10 games having been played. But, do you think Richards had any real concern for his own welfare when he went head hunting and knocked out Horton, arguably the Panthers best player? Of course not, because there were several other Flyers who would have pounded any of the Panthers into dust. With the perception that Ovie is edgy/dirty (and he is at times), someone will feel a little more free to take liberties with him at some point precisely because there is no tough guy on the Caps.

Fighting is only a small part of the enforcer's role. Physical intimidation and threat of retaliatory violence are their main roles. Anyone who thinks there are a lot of cheap shots now will be appalled if enforcers are legislated out of the game. As evidenced by the uneven rulings handed down by Colin Campbell after the questionable hits this weekend, the league/refs have no will to adequately police the game. Until they do, enforcers will ALWAYS have a role on a hockey team.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 27, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@DCTexan90:

Unfortunately, my internet is too slow/unreliable for me to watch the games online. With my luck, it will cut out before every goal and big play.

Also, Grande Communications is the only option I currently have for tv/internet, so I really don't have any way to watch the Caps.

Posted by: mytwocents | October 27, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

CapsSkins- I like that those line combos!

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 27, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I like those line combos.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 27, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Flyers/Caps game previews from Hockeybuzz writers over on Versus site:

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 27, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Go Caps!!!

Posted by: realoldcapsfan |
Hey buddy i'm right there with ya on that one! I get to watch all the games and go to every game when they play the lightning.although,i do hate fl. and would rather be up there rooting my caps on but its all good.LETS GO CAP-I-TALS!!! (CLAP CLAP CLAP,CLAP,CLAP)

Posted by: gratefuldid | October 27, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz- you wanna talk about nice goals, how about Fehr's from Shultz? Beautiful finish after a perfect pass from Shultz! I'm so bummed he's hurt again.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 27, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm a pretty good glass-half-full person not only with the Caps but also in my life. Too many posters here see only negatives. It's exhausting. I enjoy a lively discussion. I don't mind differing opinions. I learn much from various points of view. And I love a good sense of humor. But when certain posters go "postal" calling other fans names and flaming posters who have different opinions, frankly I stop reading. I get impatient--especially with the focus on the Caps teams and hockey of the past. The past should stay in the past. We can all make general comparisons and either agree or disagree, but this team is built on the NHL's post-lock-out style and rules of play. I prefer analysis--not name calling--on how well our team is faring by the standards of today's NHL.

And for the record, I love the Caps of today. I love the excitement and speed and the sheer joy. All teams and all players have off-nights. The flip side of passion is emotional flatness. The challenge is finding how to win on those nights. That's what I take from the Islanders game.

And I take heart in the fact that out of ten games, two were just perfect, three or so were exciting but uneven--the previous Flyers games fits into that category--and the rest were of the "they can play better." And yet they managed to remain competitive getting into OT and sometimes pulling out the win. I'd be worried if we had too smooth of a start. Playing such a challenging group overall right at the start of the season will help the Caps in the long run. The season is long and I'd rather they worked out the kinks and built the chemistry now. We can address other needs if we need them before the playoffs (read between the lines to mean the defense needs so many of you discuss relentlessly).

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 27, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

anyone got a link to watch this game?

my usual links arent working...

Posted by: deadskin | October 27, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I watching the game from Comcast in ashburn and the transmition is awful. Lots of pixelation. Anybody else ??

Posted by: guer_j | October 27, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse