Caps looking to power up for Game 4

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

Some quick morning links to start the day:

*The Capitals' off-day practice is heavily attended as they attempt to fix a power play that has failed a season-worst 21 consecutive times.

*Tracee Hamilton: With John Carlson, catch a rising star.

*Sports Waves: Joe Beninati and Craig Laughlin are in playoff mode.

*The Caps beat the Wizards in TV ratings, but it's not a big deal because pretty much everyone beats the Wizards.

*Best way to win the series: Lose Game 4.

*So, how about that goalie controversy? (On Frozen Blog)

*Ted's Take on Bell Centre: "Very sophisticated and everyone is very attractive and professional."

*Caps beat the Pens! Again! (Puck the Media)

*Meet that Horn Guy. (Rock the Red)

*Caps-Habs lessons and the fine art of hyperbole. (DC Landing Strip)

*Obi-Wan Knuble! (Homer McAwesome)

*Varly talks about Theo and not counting eggs before they're hatched. (Japers' Rink)

*Notes from practice: Caps' power play, Montreal's goalie situation, etc. (ESPN)

Tonight: Game 4 (Caps lead series, 2-1)
Bell Centre, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet (HD)
Radio: The Fan 106.7

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 21, 2010; 5:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Photos: Caps practice for Game 4 at Bell Centre
Next: Status of Morrisonn unclear

Comments

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | April 21, 2010 5:58 AM | Report abuse

From the ESPN article--"Getting or cheering me? I don't know. I was hearing my name in warm-up, so I had the best warm-up ever," Theodore quipped. Later in the game, fans began chanting "Theo, Theo," as well.

"I guess they just start thinking about me out of the blue," said Theodore, who spent parts of 10 seasons playing for the Canadiens.

That second comment is great. Good for Jose.

Posted by: HeatherinMD | April 21, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

It seems that if the Caps win this series and maybe another, the Pens will be waiting. The Pens picked a good time of year to get hot, shalacking the Sens. I say good, the way to the SC should be through Pittsburgh, like the Skins had to beat Dallas to establish themselves as a dominant team in the 80's

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | April 21, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

The Price is wrong....

Good time for Alex Semin to cash in...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 21, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Varly from Japer's Rink:

--Would you say there has been a turning point in the series and Washington has found its game?

"I wouldn't be too hasty. I'm sure that Montreal hasn't given up yet. The series is only 2-1 now. In game four the Canadiens will be playing twice as furiously. The only thing they need is victory."

-Semyon Varlamov

So let's be careful, Caps fans. We all need to bring our A game tonight.

Posted by: Justafan | April 21, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"Look at it this way..if the guy is about to turn the puck over at the blue line by getting stood up, what harm is there to dump the puck in deeper preventing that turnover at the neutral zone, and forcing guys to go dig it out of the corners?..."

Posted by: richmondphil

Absolutely. But, only as a last resort. The Caps create a lot of their chances off the rush. Dump and chase is not their strong suit, but it is better than turning the puck over.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 21, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Lindsey, you forgot a link....

Gotta report the bad with the good or you seem like a cheerleader.

Posted by: mercedeskk | April 21, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps, but I don't think so. In this series Varly plays until he loses. The start of the next series, assuming there is one of course, Theo could possibly start.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 21, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

if there ever were a team that could have rotated goalies in the playoffs, it was the Oilers of the '80's with two equally capable goalies in Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog. But it was Fuhr all the way for them in the playoffs.

Moog proved how good he was later on with the Bruins when he took them to the SC finals against his old team. Fuhr never had such success with another team.

Posted by: joek443 | April 21, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Saw that steroid story earlier. Not sure it helps the Caps. You know media types are going to be asking about it now. I think the Caps mental makeup is fragile enough already.

Posted by: CDon | April 21, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

If the Caps and Pens play for the eastern conference finals, I think it will be the biggest thing for the NHL in the last 30 years. The ratings might even trump the finals.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 21, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Agree with Shapiro that Joe B and Locker are the best in the business, by a long way. If many of the new fans continue to follow the team in years to come they will be one of the main reasons why.

Posted by: rademaar | April 21, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I think I am, and many others are, feeling way too confident about tonight's game and the series.

I have been feeling so confident that I am almost positive it is going to bite me in the *ss.

@LloydChristmas

I agree, but lets not count our chickens before they hatch.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I took a look at the Steelers schedule and I think it would definitely allow for the Winter Classic to be played there.

The Steelers second to last game it at home but it is on Thursday night, December 23. The Steelers last game is on the road on Jan. 2. This gives the NHL 7 days to set up the rink, and, if the Steelers get in the playoffs, more than 7 days to take it apart.

So it would look like Heinze field is still an option.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Actually the second year the Oilers and the Islanders played in the finals Mood had to come in for Fuhr (but is was because of an injury). It is definetly not the norm to rotate goalies but I would not rule it out with the CAPS.

here is a link about goalie tandems...FWIW....if I linked it correctly

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Actually the second year the Oilers and the Islanders played in the finals Moog had to come in for Fuhr (but it was because of an injury). It is definetly not the norm to rotate goalies but I would not rule it out with the CAPS.

here is a link about goalie tandems...FWIW....if I linked it correctly

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double post....

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Reading that article on Steroids, it seems like a really flimsy headline. The basis for SI saying the NHL is being evasive is an email between two law enforcement officials in Florida... about things that happened in DC. It's not like it's an internal memo between NHL execs.

Posted by: dwelkinor | April 21, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

@dwelkinor

I read it too and agree with you. But I am fine if people want to do more investigating. I do think there is enough circumstantial evidence that the NHL should investigate this in the offseason.

I didn't like how the writer wrote the article. When he mentioned how 8 of 10 boxes were sent either after the playoffs started or in the offseason he forgot to mention that the playoffs start around April 12 and the season begins in the beginning of October. That is a 6 month period. Statistically speaking it is not that big of an aberration to have 8 boxes sent during that 6 month window. The way he wrote it it sounded like it was absurd that 8 of 10 boxes could be sent during the "offseason"

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Expect an ALL out effort tonight from the HABS. If they go down 1-3 they know the season is over from them. Hopefully we put together our "A" game and come back to the Verizon with a chance to close it out!

I am predicting a Semin / Green Breakout,with a couple PP's to boot.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 21, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

joek443: another excellent example: Glenn "Chico" Resch and Billy Smith of the NY Islanders of the mid-70's/early-'80s. They were really interchangeable co-starters until Smith simply took over the playoff starter role with his outstanding performances--and Resch then became expendable, ending up with the Devils.

Posted by: jhershb | April 21, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

You would think if there was anything substantive to the steroid story, the feds would be all over it as it would be a classic case of Federal jurisdiction - potentially involving controlled substance interstate (FL/VA) traffic, mail fraud (USPS used), etc... but no, instead we have a bored out of his mind FL sheriff running from one microphone to another giving interviews to MSM, while there are three alleged murderers on the loose in his county.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"...when you have to play two goalies in the playoffs, that just means you don't trust either of them. That has never proven to be a winning formula in the SC playoffs..."

Posted by: joek443

2006 Carolina Hurricanes. While I don't think it was their intent to rotate goalies going into the playoffs that's what ended up happening.

Cam Ward seems like a pretty good goalie, although he was a rookie at the time. And, the argument can be made that Gerber was sick at the start of the playoffs. Still Laviolette (sp?) went with either who he thought was hot or who he trusted the most depending on your point of view.

Obviously my pick right now would be Varlamov, but should he falter or get injured...And, if Boudreau truly meant that Theo had a long leash he might go back to him. Who had the most success against the Flyers? The Pens? (rhetorical questions)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

huge game tonight!!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 21, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

One thing to watch out for with Varly is his stamina. If he gets tired, especially if we get a back to back, I wouldn't be surprised if Theo gets his turn again, even if it is just for one game.

Last year he looked unbeatable against the Rangers and first few games of the second round as well... and then games 4 and 5 against the Pens were 24 hours apart, and Varly never looked the same.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Justafan 100%, we're only up 2-1. one game at a time gents

Posted by: bigpoppa44 | April 21, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Justafan 100%, we're only up 2-1. one game at a time gents

Posted by: bigpoppa44 | April 21, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree, but lets not count our chickens before they hatch.

Posted by: sgm3
_______________________________________

Yeah, just saying, "if" it happened. :D

I've seen the Caps implode too many times in the past to guarantee them a win for anything.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 21, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"and then games 4 and 5 against the Pens were 24 hours apart, and Varly never looked the same." -igor_k17

No Yanni this year.

Posted by: Brute | April 21, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Yep, Habs fans are the most educated and smartest hockey fans around:

"A fan came up to me in the street and said to me, 'Can you guys stop looking at the camera.' And I was like, what? He said, 'You guys are always looking at the camera. Look at the ice.' And I said to him, 'Man, we don't even know where the cameras are. There's like 20 of them. That's their job, to get on our face. Trust me, I'm not looking for the thing.'

"What does he think, I'm back-checking on Ovechkin and I've got time to go, 'Oh, where's that camera?' And he honestly thought we were too distracted looking for the camera."

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 21, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

ZING

Posted by: _stevo | April 21, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I don't envy the MTL players having to play in that spotlight. I got to see one of the last games at the old Forum and the fans started booing because one breakout wasn't very crisp. And Les Habs were winning!

No wonder guys like Johnny LeClair beak out once they leave. Very tough place to play.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 21, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | April 21, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Typical of SI. That's why it is a magazine on the brink of death. The stories they print are OLD news. I saw an email from a guy that said SI magazine is the worst on the planet. It must be true.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

any twitter updates from Tarik yet?

Posted by: _stevo | April 21, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo:

He says Price is starting tonight, and Bruce says ShaMo and Corvo are playing "as far as he knows" and denies any injuries. Just also tweeted that Bruce won't make any changes to the forwards.

Posted by: Brute | April 21, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay: Still wish you could market that coffee cup you designed. BTW, you could have really made a mint because you could have released it a second time with Ovi wearing the "C."

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 21, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Why in the world would we even care what Sports Illustrated has to say on anything? With all due respect to mercedeskk, I'd like to nominate her to the Doofus Brigade for putting that link on here. Where is the nomination committee for her enrollment???

Sports Illustrated is an authority on news as tabloid magazines are an authority on global changing news. a$$hats.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can move someone to the Doofus Brigade for trying to contribute unless it is a troll being obnoxious. But I did not start the DB, so maybe Tom in FL needs to decide.

Also, Spacek is a game time decision with "unspecified" injury.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 21, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"Im going WAY OUT on a limb and calling a 1st period power play goal for Semin tonight."

I sure hope you're right, but I am getting tired of that guy completely disappearing when the playoffs start.

Same thing happend last year.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

I disagree. I didn't think much of the article either but it would be ignorant to say "let's not read it because we don't like what they're accusing"

We all have no idea what sort of investigation was conducted and I have no problem with reporters looking into details to see what happened.

To get a good understanding of what happened you need to read the positions of all sides not just your own.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@brute

thanks, work blocks twitter

Posted by: _stevo | April 21, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@rmcazz

I don't think Semin has completely disappeared. He actually seems to care. He's trying to make moves and have an impact. But he's not scoring, and yes that's an issue. Now, last year, I wondered if his head was even in it. I agree with you there. But I'm not asking that question about him this postseason. He seems invested, so I hope that translates to a few goals.

Posted by: CDon | April 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

If Price flops tonight, it is likely his last game wearing the Habs jersey. If he steals the game, he is an instant hero and probably gets himself a contract pushing Halak out for good. Biggest game of his life? In front of 22 thousand fans who got a Roy salute from him last year? Wow!

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

yep, Semin disappeared last year in the playoffs. 14 points in 14 games. while playing last few games with an injured hand/wrist.

who needs a point-a-game winger on a second line. he doesn't hit, and he doesn't fight. send him to Hershey or Siberia.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If Spacek is out that could be pretty big.

He has been one of their better defenders and replacing him with a #7 defender would look to be good for the Caps.

The PP has to break out tonight, doesn't it?

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Shake up the power play by putting NYLs on the half-wall. Give Erskine a sweater, 77 has not impressed me and by his third period icetime, I would say the coaches are not impressed either.

The boys need to come out and take over the first period. If the caps get up 2-0 and are dominating, the Habs will quit, if they haven't already.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | April 21, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

if they come out tonight and put on the same kinda performance as the Pens did last night then we know we have a team that just got a wake-up call and can go all the way.

However if they come out flat and find a way to lose this game, we know this team is not ready to win the Cup yet.

Posted by: joek443 | April 21, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

I don't think it is wise to determine if a team can or cannot win a cup based on one period of play. I hope they come out strong too, but it is not the determining factor.

@cadlecreek1

Are you serious with your take on Corvo?

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 12:01 PM |

I sense sarcasm igor_k17 LOL!

btw - complete agreement. 21st century.
Game is so different.
I watched the north south 'gritty' styles of the Avs/Sharks & wonder if it was a Geico commercial with the cavemen.

East west for the avs/sharks is grinding it out along the boards.

Then you flip to Sens/Pinz & you see world class skill going multi-dimensionally.

I've always railed about figure skating in the NHL but some of the Sens&Pinz can do things that only those types of artists can do on skates for sure.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 21, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Corvo played one shift in game one overtime: result goal scored.

He did not see very much third period ice in game 2.

77 admitted he is not 100% and is still behind a step or two. Nothing personal but springtime is about wins. Give ERskine a sweater and see what his compete level is against the habs. 77 is not logging a ton of minutes anyway, so you would nt be replacing a top four d-man. Adding some grit wouldn't hurt, since the Habs need this game to stay in the series and shomo his dinged. The two little ex-devils will be buzzing and need someone to put them in their place. Doesn't matter anyway since 77 is the point man on the 2nd pp, he will get a sweater.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | April 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@cadlecreek1

Are you serious with your take on Corvo?

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 12:16 PM

I am sure he is. Erskine for Corvo. Walker to replace Semin. Chimera to PP. And while we are at it, Tinordi in for Schultz, Reekie for Poti, and rebuild Cap Center in time for game 5.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Semin has been setting himself up for at least one or two beautiful chances per game and then whiffing the shots high or wide makes me think that he's frustrated. BB needs to take him aside, get him to calm down and stop holding his stick so hard (and if he could get Alex the Younger to stop taking his one penalty per game, that'd be awesome too).

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 21, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

...and rebuild Cap Center in time for game 5.
Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 12:30 PM |

OMFG this tickled the funny bone!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 21, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

shoot, if they had Tinordi and Reekie right now they may well go 16-4 in the playoffs.

Posted by: joek443 | April 21, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I think there will be some changes on the second line, either with Laich or Fehr, to add some net presence. Otherwise, let's get the PP going and crush these guys. I'm getting tired of the Habs' fans, coaches, and pain-in-the-a** munchkins.

Posted by: zmega | April 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 21, 2010 12:33 PM |

I'm kind of new to CI, but is "Alex the Younger" a nickname people use for Semin? Because he's actually older than Ovi, so it seems like an odd choice.

Posted by: Steph22 | April 21, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

if Spacek is out, with all the b!tching Habs are doing about crashing the crease, I guess it would be O'Byrne's turn... Now that's good looking pylon! But, keep your heads up, boys, he hits to hurt.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Never heard "Alex Jr" used, but I am sure he'd prefer that over what Brads called him! ;-)

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@cadlecreek1

What are you disappointed about in Corvo?

That he has been on the ice for all of 1 goal the entire series? (where more blame could go to ShaMo for getting beat and the terrible line change)

That he scored one of the two goals in game 1 and had the primary assist on Backstrom's huge first goal in game 2?

That he perfomred well on the PP last game holding pucks in at the blue line?

That he hasn't really made a bad pinch the entire series that led to a great scoring chance?

He's not a great defenseman by any means but he is playing his role very well so far and he doesn't drop his stick every 5 minutes.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I saw the first line cycling the puck Monday night. What's next? Gordo scoring a shorthanded goal? oh yeah....

Posted by: coolcraig | April 21, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

If Erskine plays, MTL will skate around him like a pylon. We do not see him in this series.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3

I didn't say if they come out just flat tonight, they won't win the Cup... I said if they come out flat and find a way to LOSE the game, they're probably not a team ready to win the Cup this year.

if you have a team down, you gotta bury them... anyone here think the Sens can come back and win Game 5 in Pitt tomorrow night??

Posted by: joek443 | April 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

I agree with everything you said.

If they come and out flat and find a way to lose my confidence in their ability to win the Cup will definitely decrease a good amount.

But it wouldn't be zero because teams sometimes do not take advantage of their chances and find a way to still come back. Such as the Pens last year against the Caps in game 6 in Pittsburgh after winning three in a row against the Caps. That is definitely looked at as being a chance to bury a team on home ice. The Pens failed to do so but still won the cup.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"Cam Ward won 15 games in the 2006 playoffs... that's not an example of rotating goalies, you need 16 victories to win the Cup and he won 15 of them for the Canes that year.

one of the years the Oilers won their 4 Cups in 5 years in the '80's, Moog recorded the last two wins in the Finals because Fuhr was out injured."

Posted by: joek443

1) Gerber played in 6 games in the 2006 playoffs. He is credited with 1 win and 1 loss.

2) Rotating is a bad choice of words. I only used it because you did. Rotating implies one goalie starts a game and the other goalie starts the next game. What I had in mind was more like a situation similar to the Hurricanes of 2006 (Gerber started and struggled, then Ward and when Ward faltered a bit in the Buffalo series back to Gerber, then back to Ward for the finals). So, for example if the Caps win this series with Varly and start Theodore in the next only to have him falter and have to go back to Varly I would see the similarities between the 2010 Caps and the 2006 Canes. Again, I'm not saying Boudreau will start Theodore in the next series (should there be one) I'm just suggesting the possibility exists. I also think that unless Varlamov falters badly he will start the rest of this (Habs) series.

3) I know how many wins it takes to win the Stanley Cup. It really isn't relevant to this discussion. The discussion is about how many games are started and/or played by a goalie.

4) I was around back in '98 when Wilson used the ploy of 16 numbers (numbered 16 down to 1) on 16 pieces of paper and a number was torn off after every win. I mention this because it isn't something you can look up, it is one of those things you had to be there. BTW, I had been a long time Caps fan by the time '98 rolled around. I don't usually bring it up (the fact that I've been a Caps fan since the latter part of the 80s). Just like I often don't bring up that I'm a player (amature of course) and a level III USA hockey referee.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 21, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

WHAMMP WHAAAAMP WHAMMMMMMMMMP... LET'S GO CAPS!!!! I'd LOVE to see another "hatty" from Backie tonight! C'MON BOYS, let's end this series Friday night at home :)

Posted by: kateoconnell4 | April 21, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Spacek being out would be huge. He's not glamorous but he is a terrific d-man. And that first outlet pass is always right on the tape. JR and others are all over Semin - who prior to the last three games has been better than a PPG player in the playoffs, very rare - but you gotta give MTL's D credit; they are all very solid.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 21, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse