Caps Make 20 Cuts

With Hershey's camp set to open tonight, the following players are headed up I-83: Greg Amadio, Dean Arsene, Jay Beagle, Francois Bouchard, Sean Collins, Viktor Dovgan, Michael Dubuc, Alexandre Giroux, Bryan Helmer, Maxime Lacroix, Tommy Maxwell, Patrick McNeill, Graham Mink, Travis Morin, Michael Neuvirth, Oskar Osala, Steve Pinizotto, Sasha Pokoluk, Darren Reid and Kyle Wilson.

Among those surviving the first meaningful round of cuts: Mathieu Perreault, Simeon Varlamov, Daren Machesney, John Carlson, Josh Godfrey and Andrew Gordon.

Another smaller round of cuts could happen later today, I'm told.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 26, 2008; 12:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Beat Canes, 5-2 (Updated)
Next: Semin On the PK?

Comments

Posted by: paul | September 26, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

1st

Posted by: Caps Fan | September 26, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Keith Aucoin survived too. Not too surprising I guess as he has some NHL experience.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 26, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

So, I am assuming that we will see Theodore now?

Posted by: 828 | September 26, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of Godfrey. I think he's going to be a bad arse.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | September 26, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

No mention that Carlson is still around? That's certainly a suprise too! Man, has he been impressing.

Posted by: Jordana | September 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

How many players are left in camp?

Posted by: pframpton | September 26, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Carlson is probably still around because he has been impressing, but is also not going to Hershey. Certainly he will be returned to junior. No reason to rush his development. This is for Hershey training camp and Carlson won't go there.

Did Neuvirth play his was down to Hershey in the 1st period?

Posted by: Caps 423 | September 26, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be a great year for the Bears.

Posted by: C-Way | September 26, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Tarik;

I know how thorough you are - but it's a litte conspicuous that Chris Bourke is not mentioned - especially since he had such a good performance against the 'canes last night.

So I suppose that means he survived since he wasn't cut?

Posted by: dogdaze | September 26, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

IMO Perreault impressed me in the first preseason. His speed and skill definitely stood out against closer to NHL caliber opponents.

Posted by: usiel | September 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero Guy

I, for one, am surprised Aucoin is still around, I wasn't impressed with him from what I saw.

I'm sort of surprised they didn't keep Bouchard around though, and Neuvirth stuck out as a surprise first cut.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Only a few small surprises, but in general, nothing super surprising. Good for Carlson to stick around. He's showing he was worth drafting early for certain, if he's proven enough that they're keeping him past most of the Hershey guys.
Boo!,
I don't know! It seems like everyone is getting married in general, but this weekend seems to be a hot time for it. I'll be in Richmond this weekend, with two more weddings in the next 3 weeks.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 26, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Alzner? I assume he's still in DC?

Posted by: KB | September 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Brent Johnson is going to be looking for another bench to sit on pretty soon. Nothing againist johnny but our young guys are looking good.

Posted by: capshsc | September 26, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth sent to Hershey?!?! I thought for sure he'd be the one lent out. Machesney is the only non-NHL caliber goalie we have that's played in the AHL and I for one am of the opinion that his experience would be very valuable to Hershey. At the same time I'd want Varlamov one car ride away in an organization we know and trust. I wonder how this is gonna work out.

Posted by: DC FURY | September 26, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

bourque?

i think the young goalies would be better served starting in chocolate town. they need some playing time before making the big jump and they wont get that down here. i'm guessing one of them will be called up and play at some point in the season. i'm cool with johnny as the number 2 to start.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | September 26, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Pokulok, what a joke. Is he even relevant at this point?

Obviously Alzner, Bourque are still around. And good for Andrew Gordon.

Posted by: Ben | September 26, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

18th!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 26, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

omg 19th!!

and I didn't even see a glimpse of Pokulok... what happened to him?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 26, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Great day for a drive...

Some of these guys are future
Caps. Others, future Stingrays or roller players.

I'm pulling for Aucoin to make the team. Someone else should wear 37 before they retire it to make sure its a little soiled when it heads up into the rafters.

Neuvirth is not ready and isn't going to make it this year. They'll probably send Machesney next so they have two targets to shoot at. I bet Varlamov sees some more action in the pre-season, but there is NO WAY they have him ride the pine here during the season. He's battling Machesney for the #1 spot in Hershey at this point.

Posted by: old time hockey | September 26, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

As excited as I am about Varlamov I'd hate to see him "make the big time" if it means he'll be riding the pine most nights. I agree Cap Fan 1 one, let's call him up now and then to spell Jose, but let him get acclimated to the North American game in the AHL.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | September 26, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

1st!!!!!!

Posted by: 1st | September 26, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey
are you George Mcphee?
I believe you already soiled the jersey..maybe that is why Huet isn't here either..hopefully he realizes how good Varlamov is and realizes how to bring him up to the big time --- and for the record I didn't want to bring up our past goaltender situation but it will be hard rooting against the Lightning
and can we please see what Jose we have in net already?!?!

Posted by: capsgary | September 26, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be a great year for the Bears.

Posted by: C-Way
----------------------
@C-way: I hope you are right. My main concern is Bob Woods as coach. He did absolutely nothing to impress me last year, but I'm willing to cut him some slack since he's BB's protege and he was thrown into a bad situation last year when Bruce got promoted. Bob was left with a very young and injury-plagued team, and a roster that was in constant fluctuation, so I'm not ready to throw him under the bus just yet. But now that he's starting the season as head coach, with such a talent-laden roster, I hope he's up to the challenge.

Posted by: tess | September 26, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little surprised to see Perrault still here and Bouchard not. I guess it's purely for experiential purposes, as it seems obvious that he wouldn't make the team as a center, anyway. Get him as much time against NHL-ish foes as possible before sending him down to potentially dominate the AHL.

I echo the general sentiments about Carlson, but not Godfrey. Maybe I was expecting a lot more, but I really didn't find Godfrey that impressive. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't particularly great. He didn't get a chance to show me one of his 100 milers last night, either, though, and that would have impressed me.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | September 26, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

So Grant McNeill is still around??

Posted by: Egon | September 26, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, the Camp Supplement for the Medis lists his number as 20.

Posted by: Section 117 | September 26, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I will have no problem cheering against the lightning.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 26, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Cooke-esque hits on LeCavalier.

Posted by: Egon | September 26, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Lets all be honest, there IS NOT a spot available on the top 12. Keeping Perrault, a C, and not Bouchard, a RW, was a bit surprising, but maybe Hershey was in need of a RW and less for a C.

The real interesting battle is Schultz vs Alzner, the only real battle for a spot on the big team other than the #3 goalie in the system between Varlamov and McChesney.

The blueline is shaping for the future very nicely. Very exciting for us.

Posted by: JSchon | September 26, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon,

Is it really a head to head battle between Schultz and Alzner, I'd think they were battling with Jurcina and Erskine and Lepisto for the bottom 3 D.

Just my point of view but I think Schultz and Alzner have 2 of those spots, they're not battling between them.

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree, smash or realize my genius lol

Posted by: MetalCap | September 26, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Schultz has to be listed higher than Jurcina or Erskine

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 26, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@MetalCap

My rationale is that I dont see Alzner making the big team unless he is a top 4. He certainly is better right now than Juice and Erskine but his development would be hindered by playing 3 pairing minutes.

20+ minutes vs 12- minutes.

Schultz has to be higher on the pecking order than Juice and Erskine.

So, if Alzner outplays Schultz then he will get the nod with Poti and Schultz will skate with Milan or John or Sami, if not, then he will be on the top pairing in Hershey with Lepisto.

Just a guess, thats really I all I do in here.

Posted by: JSchon | September 26, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon,

Ahhh I see yeah that does make sense.

*Cue the shooting star*
"The more you know..."

Posted by: MetalCap | September 26, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

i too am surprised Bouchard is going to Hershey already, I haven't seen either preseason games, but another guy who really impressed me in camp was Jay Beagle.. he should get big minutes with the Bears this year.

Posted by: NatsCaps19 | September 26, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Carlson sticking around is a great thing for his development. First off, this is well earned. He committed himself after the summer camp and it showed. Second, sticking around a bit longer will probably make him more hungry to stick next year. He will go to Juniors, but this is a great experience for a great young prospect!

Posted by: Paddy | September 27, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse