Caps Not Getting Much Help (Updated)

Who would have thought the Capitals could win eight of nine games, post a 5-1-0 record on a grueling six-game road trip, and still not be in the playoffs entering the final week of the regular season?

Not me. And I bet not many of the Caps, either.

But that's their reality these days: They're doing just about all they can, but they're also not getting much help. Take last night's Boston-Buffalo game for example. The Bruins mustered 18 shots - only six in the third period - and still earned a point to extend their lead to three points.

On another subject, center David Steckel (broken finger) on his own for about 15 minutes this morning. He did not wear a glove on his right hand. The plan is still for him to get the pins removed today and possibly play on Thursday.

Update: I just left the dressing room here at KCI, and if there's any tension, I sure didn't feel it. The Caps looked and sounded loose and excited about the challenge that is before them.

"It's not a heart attack," Alex Ovechkin said. "It's fun."

"It's the biggest game in our year," he added, referring to tomorrow's game against Carolina. "We're very excited and we can't wait to go to the ice. It's probably the most important week in my NHL career. We had a feeling the last [two] years we didn't play for the playoffs, so we're all excited, keep in mind our emotion."

Bruce Boudreau watched yesterday's Bruins-Sabres game - and he wasn't impressed.

"That was an exciting game," Boudreau said, rolling is eyes. "Hey, whatever works."

"It's tough," he added. "But we're a firm believer that if we go out and take care of our business, good things are going to happen. That's all that we can do."

If by "taking care of our business" he meant win out, yes, the Caps pretty much need to do that. They also need one of the teams in front of them to give them the kind of help they haven't gotten lately.

Update:I just spoke to Luke of the Raleigh News & Observer. He had some potenially bad news for Caps fans: Ray Whitney and Justin Williams practiced today and could be in the 'Canes' lineup tomorrow. Read Luke's blog here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 31, 2008; 11:18 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No Practice For Caps
Next: Sleepless in Arlington

Comments

where is everyone?

Posted by: ewwsombra | March 31, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Do not forget to wear red tomorrow unless from PIttsburgh then you can wear pink for Cindy

Posted by: Rich C | March 31, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I think they just have to focus on their games and not worry about the other teams.

If they win their games then I think it will come down to the wire.

You can look at all the possibilities but in the end games are played on the ice.

Go Caps!

TJ

Posted by: TJ | March 31, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

They're all out shopping for red Caps gear for tomorrow night!

Posted by: Seeing Red | March 31, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The Caps can win out, and all they'll need is Carolina to lose one of their remaining games ...If you think the lack of progress the Caps have made on the pack is troublesome, I'm wondering how Carolina must be feeling, going on the run they've gone on, only to see their lead actually dwindle to two points, with a head-to-head coming up on Tuesday....I'll be there in full effect.

Posted by: Steve | March 31, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The Caps need to win out and have Carolina lose two of three (including the game to the Caps) with at least one of the two losses coming in regulation. Seeing as how they have Tampa and Florida after the Caps, the chances aren't great. It's not looking too good folks.

Posted by: Jay | March 31, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Every year there is a team of destiny and this year's team seems to be our Caps. I keep thinking about Herb Brooks' words: "you were meant to be here tonight.... This is your time. I'm sick and tired of hearing what a great team the Soviets have...screw them!"
These teams ahead of the Caps have had their shots - it's time to put of them out of their misery. My bet? Ottawa may fold entirely - they suck right now, not on paper, but as a team. I think the Hurricanes are a good team with a good coach but I definitely do NOT believe they thought Tuesday was going to be a game of such magnitude. And that is a good thing: caught looking ahead, could they have peaked too soon? God knows.

Posted by: Shaggy | March 31, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

It is the three-point games which are killing us, that and our start, and the Bos-Pitt weekend. Even with all of that, I think Ott will fold, but as the saying goes, just ******* win.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Our destiny is to get hosed out of a spot. Philly will somehow score 5 goals in 3 minutes on Sunday to tie against Pittsburgh, and through a heretofor unkown quirk in the rules Boston and Buffalo will each get 2 points for the game on Saturday.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 31, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

FTW

Posted by: strungout | March 31, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Canes and the Caps have the same exact schedule with the only difference being the caps get the Panthers and the Bolts on the second day of their back to back on both occasions. I'm not saying it's much, but it's something...

Posted by: Moose33 | March 31, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Cmon people stop complaining about games we lost, thats in the past get over it. All that matters is the next 3 games.

Posted by: TJ | March 31, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

ANyone see Cydney get into a slap fight during the game yesterday on NBC )Nobody But Crosby)?

It's amazing how so many strange things have come together at the end of the season. 4 teams going on a tear to keep the playoff race interesting. Usually it's one or two teams, not 4. Also, remember about 2/3 of the way through the season everyone was talking about hoe great the west was? It the caps were playing in the west, they would be in the 8th spot with 88 points.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Despite it all, I STILL think that the Caps will get in if they win out. Between Carolina, Boston, Ottawa, Philly and the Rangers, SOMEBODY will screw up enough to let the Caps slip in.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 31, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

To paraphrase Stan Fischler, some random thoughts on impertinent subjects:

NESN showed the win pct. of Boston's remaining opposition at .563 (including NJ on the road), while ours was at .514 or so.

Philly scored GTGs in the 3rd period of their last 3 games. They don't score those, that's 5 points they don't have.

Posted by: Olie Troll | March 31, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It will happen and I think it's going to be Ottawa that will be the team to choke.

Posted by: b.orr4 | March 31, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@Lee,

That slap fight was entertaining. I heard that the league is looking into suspending the Rangers for daring to touch Sid. Sid also reinvented sliced bread and cured cancer after the game.

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I know we can point to any one or handful of games that have put us in this situation, but man those games against Boston and Pitt are really coming back to bite us in the @$$.

Posted by: Ollie Jokinen looks like he has Down's Syndrome | March 31, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I SO hate the point teams get for LOSING.
I Can MAYBE see getting 1 point for losing in a SHOOT-OUT but NOT in OT

Posted by: CantMissKid | March 31, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

True, losing to Bos and Pitt was a dagger. Win out and who knows what will happen.

Posted by: Gino Malkin looks like Corky | March 31, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

@ Shaggy - the other thing the Caps have in common with the "Miracle" team is all the recent comeback wins.

I have to admit, I think they will fall just short. I hope they prove me wrong, and I will be at all three games this week closing out my perfect attendance for the season and cheering my loudest. I'll be wearing my red Caps tee tomorrow night.

Let's Go Caps!!

Posted by: Jill | March 31, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

re: 3 point games

I hate to say it folks, but these will not go away. They are doing exactly what the league wanted them to do, keep as many teams in the playoff race as possible. They need to find a way to reward a team who wins in OT more than 1 extra point (does that mean a 4 point game?), but the losing team will always get something.

The problem I have is in a game like last night with the Bruins, they were just playing for OT and that one point. Unfortunately, we did not play for OT enough earlier in the season that could have gotten us some points.

Welcome to the new NHL.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 31, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@look likes

And you sound like dump and dumper dorks.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

dumb and dumber :-)

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@12:16,

Would that be "dumb" per chance....?

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is talking about how one of the teams above the Caps is bound to choke....IMHO it will most likely be Ottawa at this point...but what about the caps? They've been on an incredible run...has anyone considered that over these final few games they might not have a whole lot left in the tank and end up choking?

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

If winning all these games and still being 2 points out is weighing on the team to the point it causes them to lose, then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. You dig a hole (check), you lose key games (check), then it's fight to the finish (check). If the Caps really want the playoffs- they'll finish 8/9 and hope someone else slips up. There are four teams above us who if they slip, we overtake. Those aren't bad odds for a team left for dead at Thanksgiving.

Posted by: GJ | March 31, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@ Shaggy

The problem is Soviets didn't take US seriously and Canes will take Caps seriously. That's the difference, but I believe Canes won't get any points tomorrow (knock on wood)

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

if the canes get in and the sens do not, bet Corvo thinking it was not such a bad deal afterall... Commodore not so much

Posted by: Grape8 | March 31, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

While the preferred position of getting rid of 1 pt for losing in OT is the best idea, how about 3 points for every game. If you win in regular time, you get all three. Win in OT or SO, you get 2. Someone with more time on their hands than me can figure out how that would impact the standings.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 31, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@ JamesD

What are you, a Pens fan? Go take your bah humbug thinking somewhere else.

Thank you!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 31, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

My thoughts exactly:

3 pts WIN
2 pts OTW
1 pt OTL

That way you'll push and get rewarded to win in regulation. As it is now, with 2 minutes to go and one point in your pocket, why risk to lose?

Here's for the Caps not only winning, but annihilating the Canes, destroying their morale so they will lose the very next game.

Posted by: mauree | March 31, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Actually CT no, im not a pens fan...but i am a realist..

one loss in the final 3 games and they are virtually done...keep that in mind. Winning out will be tough.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

re: 3 point games.

I've seen this in other places, but I think the NHL should look at making at games 3 point games:

3 points - win in regulation
2 points - win in OT/SO
1 point - lose in OT/SO

I'm sure there's a ton of pros/cons of a strategy like this. It would encourage teams to try to win in regulation, and it would lower the impact of winning the gimmicky games (i.e. 4 on 4 OT, or the shootout).

Another modification would be to go back to 5 on 5 OT, make it 3 points for a win in regulation or OT. Then do a shootout with 2 points for the winner, 1 for the loser.

Posted by: JPC | March 31, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

All teams are playing on equal ground - so it really does not matter about the 3 points. Rules are rules and all teams are abiding by them.
The Caps dug a whole earlier in the season - now they are trying to climb out and are doing a darn good job.
I don't care who loses or who we play if we make the playoffs - we are on one heck of a run and I hope they continue to fly. What bothers me the most is that we have not won 5 games straight since 2001. It's time to get over that hump and just beat the Canes. I could see TB or FLA beat the Canes... and it was nice to see that we will be playing both of them on their 2nd game of a back to back games.

Predictions:

Carolina - 0-2-1 (91 points)
Philly - 0-2-1 (92 points)
Boston - 2-0-1 (96 points)
New York - 2-1-1 (96 points)
Ottowa - 1-1-1 (95 points)

That leaves the Caps to win 2...

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

As of today, the only teams we can not catch are the Pens and the Habs. That means there are 6 teams that we can statistically catch. Granted we need some help but still there is reason the be cautiously optimistic.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

3 point games - some soccer tournaments used it

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

If the Canes come out and dominate and the caps lose in regulation, its going to be almost impossible to make it.

Right now the magic number for points is 95..being as the caps can only finish with a high of 94 if they win out.

Losing 1 in regulation would only allow the caps 92 points. What is the chances that all those teams with 91 points right now will not get at least 2 points in the final 3 games?

Very very slim

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

If we don't make the playoffs, then we can point to that Boston/Pittsburgh double-loss weekend. Especially that Boston game, which we had the game won, but gave Boston 2 consecutive 5 on 3 power plays at the end of the game.

Brashear's selfish penalty (sucker punching the Boston player with less than 6 mins to go in the game) could be the reason why we missed the playoffs this year. I hope he's happy cruising his lamberghini around town. What a waste of a roster spot.

Posted by: Danny | March 31, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

James D,

You trying that reverse psychology thing?

Posted by: Bobo | March 31, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

How many people think the caps are going to miss the playoffs by a point and that game they lost to boston(aka brashear meltdown) was the biggest reason. I DOOOOOOOOOO.

Posted by: smartfan | March 31, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@Danny

I disagree on both the lost games and Brashear.
It's not those games we should regret, but the previous, multiple, losses against ATL and FLA.

But, let's not even think about that. It's a very exciting time. Can't wait till tomorrow!

Posted by: mauree | March 31, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that the Caps win 5 of 6 on a 6 game road trip?

What are the chances of Ovechkin being the first to score 60 goals in 12 years?

What are the chances of Backstom breaking Ovechkin's rookie assist record?

If you asked me what the chances were for all of these - I would say... very very slim.

Sure, Caps playoff hope is very slim, but there is still a chance. If they continue to do what they do, then we shall see. Stranger things have happened.

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Haha, no bobo im not.

Im just trying to keep things grounded. I think I would feel differently about the chances of winning out if they weren't playing the Canes once in the final 3 games.

Although gaining 1 point in one of these games makes up some ground..anything less than 2 points is unacceptable in this situation.

There really is no margin for error and I think everyone has been a bit spoiled by the 8-2 run but that can only last so long.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to add something intelligent to this discussion, but I'm busy staving off the coronary Ovechkin isn't having.

Posted by: honed | March 31, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

828

those are all things the Caps controlled
The play of the 4 teams above them are not.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@ JamesD

Realists did not think we would win 5 out of 6 on this road trip either.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 31, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If we miss out by one point, I'll think back to two games, the games we lost in the last minute to Toronto and Pittsburgh. We hold on in either of those for another minute (or less) we get to OT and get a point.

Posted by: JPC | March 31, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"Over? Did you say 'over?' Was it over when the Germans bombed pearl Harbor? hell no! And it isn't over now!"

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Heard that the CAPS have started talk with HUET. No numbers yet but he's going to make top dollar specially the way he's playing. S o many teams are looking for goalie. CAPS have to be careful and layoff of him if the price become to high. Look how many teams have given huge deals to a goalie after one good year.Edmonton, philly, tampa(marc dennis etc.) It will tie our hands down financially for a long time(aka jagr). Also our young studs will be ready in 2 years.

Posted by: smartfan | March 31, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

JamesD,

I hear ya, and I somewhat agree - however, I would rather hope and enjoy the suspense than doubting the possiblities.
Remember when you were a kid and you got to open all your Christmas presents? Kinda exciting right? Now, what if someone had told you what all the presents were before you opened them?

People want to hope - even if it is slim... people are made to hope and have faith.

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@ Smartfan

I agree with you whole-heartedly. While we had some inexcusable losses earlier on in the season, the Boston loss was the most excuciating one after we got back into the Playoff race.

Does anyone know when is Brashear's contract up? He doesn't do much except starting fights. It's time to fill his spot with someone better.

Posted by: Danny | March 31, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Also, for all those people who remember the old days when the Caps seem to fold (like I do), they did not have the best player in the world on those teams to carry the weight and make everyone else better.

New team, new times. Let's Go Caps!

Silence these naysayers.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 31, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Why shouldn't they have won 5 of 6?

They were a superior team playing inferior opponents..they should have won.

I was just surprised that Chicago beat them as they did. If anything I full expected Carolina to beat the caps that night.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

JamesD
So if those are things that the Caps can control, then there is no problem winning these next 3 games and Ovechkin scoring 12 more goals to close out the season.
Right?

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@828

Carolina - I don't see the Canes losing all 3 of their remaining games. I think they beat Florida at the very least. Still if the Caps win out, and Canes go 1-2 or 1-1-1 the Caps are in.

Philly - Playing Pit, NJ, Pit...They could easily lose 2 of their last 3 but with the way they keep pulling points out in the final seconds of regulation I am not that optimistic. Still, the Caps win out and the Flyers go 1-1-1 we're in because we have more wins.

Boston - I can see them losing to NJ but beating Ottawa and Buffalo. I agree with you I think they're in.

NYR - I think they lose to the Pens and NJD (the devils really do not want a season sweep) but beat the Isles in back to back games. They're in.

Ottawa - Lose to Montreal and Boston but beat Toronto. 1-1-1 or 1-2 I agree.

I guess I feel like our best shot is Philly since their schedule seems to be the hardest. Argh, this is nerve racking

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry folks, I am getting fired up and it is only Monday.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 31, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Smartfan,

Remember Shultz high sticking Green and the resulting loss?

Remember the (&$#&^*_)()%**( ref tackling Mo?

Remember Nicky's backhand?

Remember Olie letting one past him with 26 second left against Toronto?

Remember Semin not skating back and allowing his man a clean 1 on 1?

Also, I seem to remember Erskine and Poti joining Brash in the box against Boston.

Live as a team, die as a team Bubba.

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Why is Carolina more superior than the Caps? Because they have beat more scrubs than we have?

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Did brashear pay you to say that. I agree with the whole team thing but he started that 6 min major and to a team that wasn't going to score unless given a powerplay. We were trying to catch them and had to points in the bag. 4 point game. The pit game wasn't a 4 point game. Just add 2 points to us a -2 for the bruins and what do you have. EXACTLY

Posted by: smartfan | March 31, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@ 828

The caps can control what they do..but they can not control NYR, PHI, BOS from gaining 4 pts.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

If they fall just short...

You could blame the Brashear penalty in the waning minutes of the Boston game...

Or, you could blame Ted and GMGM for not firing Hanlon a few games sooner when everyone knew he was done...

Or, you could blame that Soviet social networking site that brough Ovie and Katja together, resulting in a significant scoring slump for #8...

My point being, you can play "coulda, woulda, shoulda" all you want. The Caps had 82 opportunities to gain standings points, just like the other 29 teams in the league.

Posted by: Jill | March 31, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@leeguru
"The Germans bombing Pearl Harbour"
OMG are u kidding us?
what history books have you been reading?
Come on Caps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wendel | March 31, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Carolina is superior

Chew on this..what if OV was out for an exended period.

Anyone here think they caps would perform and go on a run like carolina has? I hate to say it but OV is the heart and soul of the team and as he goes, they go.

The hurricanes have lost some major components to their team this year but have kept rolling. Obviously they have more depth.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

JamesD,
I agree - so what's to say that the Caps cannot win these next 3? That is all I am saying. If they win these next 3, and still don't get it - well, they did everything they could.

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Because the Hockey gods hate us, this is what will happen:

The caps will get in as the 3rd seed, winning the division and BB is proclaimed coach of the year. Pittsburgh falters a little, and drops to 6th. The caps must play Pittsburgh, the NHL, and NBC in the first round. We must listen to all about about Cyndy for the whole first round.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Any team that plays pitt should hope to play them with crosby IN the lineup..

they lean on him too much and play better without him.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@ JamesD

I do not believe anyone thought we would win 5 out of 6 on that road trip. We hoped, but did not truly believe.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 31, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

CT, I agree but I think we can all say that they SHOULD have won 5 of 6 considering who they were playing.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

JamesD - so, the Caps have not lost any body? Nylander, Clark, Pothier, and a few others for short periods of time - multiple times.

and yet the Caps are only 2 points behind the Canes... again, how are they more superior?

I don't compare Ovechkin to anyone on the Canes and I don't really think about the "what ifs" of Ovechkin not being a Capital for a while... deal with that when the time comes... but, if I had to, I think we have some solid guys and the capability to step up if needed..

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@ Smartfan - In the Boston game, the brashear first penalty was unlucky and unfortunate his second one yes, was stupid. However how many guys on the team this season have taken dumb penalties?? Just about all of them. Using that as a reason for not making p**** is like blaming a game on bad reffing. The team should not have put themselves in a position where one bad penalty can cost them a season or a game. Its not Brash's fault if we dont make it.

Posted by: Grape8 | March 31, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@wendel

Are you that young that you do not know what that is a reference to? Only one of the funniest movies in history.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 31, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@wendell

Leeguru was quoting one of the most well known lines from Animal House. Its the speech Belushi gives the guys right before the final scene. Obviously the humor in the quote stems from the historical inaccuracy.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Im not comparing OV to anyone, Im comparing the situation.

So what the caps have lost a few guys, so has everyone else, but they Caps have lost their core.

Nobody on that team has shown me they can step up in the absence of their big gun. Sure, they will compete but the fire wouldnt be there.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Wendell - Ever heard of a movie called "Animal House?" The Germans Bombing Pearl Harbor line is used by John Belushi in the film when trying to rally the DTX crew.

Posted by: Tyler | March 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, then they should be 25-4 in the Southeast division.

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Nothing much that hasn't already been said. I will be cheering for the (threw up in my mouth) Penguins (threw up on myself).

Ahhh, never thought I would be asking help from Crysby and the Pens but how bout one in regulation.

I'll be there tomorrow and I have already meet a hand full of ya but if you are going, I will be either at the Green Turtle (most likely) or maybe at Clyde's if Super makes it. But love to talk hockey before games and it helps get the juices flowing.

Tarik, you wanna meet some of your bloggin buddies for a beer before the game tomorrow?

Posted by: Roger #94 | March 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@ wendel -- John Belusi in Animal House had the moronic qoute -- "Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" to which Otter told Pinto (I think) "Germans?" "Don't stop he's on a roll"

I still think that Philly is the easiest pick off with the Pens twice and Devils once

Posted by: JIM | March 31, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@Wendel,

Rent "Animal House" and the German's bombing Pearl Harbor will be made clear. You must have missed the special that the History Channel ran on it.

@Jill,

Right on.

@Smartfan,

Read Jill's post.

@Lee,

It all comes back to Cindy....

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

How could anyone not get that Animal House reference!

Once the Caps are in the P-word we'll have to throw a Toga Party

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | March 31, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

JamesD,
No one has shown you because it has not happened. Look at the Canes - everyone thought they would slide, but they didnt. Everyone thought Boston would slide after losing Chara and Savard, but they didn't... people suprise you and you never know until it happens.

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad I didn't have to defend my quote!

Wendell, because you missed the most obvious ANimal House reference, and every real hockey fan knows Animal house, you are here-by on double secret probation!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Hate to be the one to break the news, but the Canes have 42 wins to the Caps' 40. Even if the Caps tie them, Carolina still holds on to the division. They have to beat them cleanly.

Boston, Philly, and the Rags, on the other hand, the Caps can beat if they tie up, because they're all at 40 wins as well.

Posted by: HolyOlie | March 31, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

every real hockey fan knows Slapshot...not Animal House

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

haha poor Wendell just got pounced on.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

*goes out and rents Animal House*

*shakes head at his own lack of American cultural background*

Posted by: mauree | March 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@HolyOlie

If the Caps go 3-0 an Canes go 1-1-1 or 1-2 we pass them by. Easier said than done but considering the Canes lost to the Caps and Lightning last week it certainly is possible

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

If you're seriously going to blame the whole season on Brashear for that one game against Boston, I'm going to blame the whole season on Ovechkin for not scoring one goal per game and then a few. He should have had 160 this year, 60 just wasn't enough to get us in.

In a related note - it should have been four for high sticking and a 10 minute misconduct. Then, Erskine got nestled with a "hook". That was Brashears fault too, right?
5 on 3, goal. Then someone goes into the box with a slash while a cap is just getting tackled. Brashes fault, I feel.

5 on 3, Chara plays the puck with his hand with a broken stick in his other hand, no call. Brashear's fault, right?

Goal scored, you get the point.

Bottom line, one person NEVER loses you a game unless he picks up the puck and throws it into your own net. A penalty technically never loses the game - the goal does. And if your PK's good enough, that crap doesn't happen.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | March 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@wendell-

Thats a quote from Animal House, smartguy =P

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: dawnh | March 31, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@Mauree,

Sorry pal, we have to take your pledge pin away until you watch the movie.

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Whiter Mage
Don't forget earlier in that game we had killed off a 5 min major to Cooke for kneeing. We had B's number that game. The result was inexcusable.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 31, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Blaming Brashear if the Caps don't make the playoffs is lame, absurd and ridiculous.

Philly has the hardest schedule. They face Pitt twice, which counts for something. The Caps have to beat the Canes and like Olie said, Ovechkin kicks it into a higher gear under bigger spotlights. If he thinks its the biggest game of his career then i am one lucky bastard to be attending the game.

I think the Caps get in; Carolina loses tuesday, Halpern delivers the next defeat and we get Tampa and Florida on the 2nd of back to backs.

I'd say the Hockey Gods are on our side this time.Finally.

Posted by: 007 | March 31, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

obviously it hasnt happened

but Im done because you seem to be missing the point and can not think out of the box

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Pointing to one game or one players mistake for not making the playoffs is ridiculous. If it was one players mistake, well, let us blame OV for not scoring more. Because in the Boston/Pittsburgh/Toronto any game, if we were ahead by more than 1 goal, giving up that late goal would not have mattered. And if they boys had one one of those games, there would be another game we would point to. It takes a whole team a whole season. The Caps did not play as a team in the first quarter of the season. So they are in the position they are in now.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy,

I didn't say it couldn't happen, but there were some people earlier saying that Carolina only had to lose one for the Caps to overtake them. Carolina also doesn't exactly have a difficult schedule beyond tomorrow night against the Caps.

The Phlyers, Rags, and Bruins have a tougher schedule. I just see a little more hope there.

Posted by: HolyOlie | March 31, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I meant won one of those games.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

It is definitionally impossible to 'sucker punch' somebody that is coming after you. That's like the suicide victim that "took himself by surprise!"

Posted by: TheCapitalist | March 31, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Oct 18 NYI L 2-5
Oct 13 @ BUF L 3-7
Oct 12 @ NYR L 1-3
Oct 8 @ NYI W 2-1
Oct 6 CAR W 2-0
Oct 5 @ ATL W 3-1

I am still pissed at Glen Hanlon for not being able to coach at least another one or two overtime points out of that list of losses. But at least our future looks real bright in the coming years with Coach Bruce B. and the young nucleus of talent. We will make those teams pay in the future!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

There are so many games recently that we lost that we could blame missing the p-word on. And that stupid penalty by Brash isn't the entire fault. did it help the game? No. Could they have won the game anyway if that hadn't been the case? Maybe. Who knows. Doesn't matter. There was way more to blame missing the p-word on. It's not just penalties like that. It's entire games not playing at full strength. The Defense not stepping up, hanlon not knowing how to motivate the team. I could keep going. But hopefully things come into line that we have a shot.

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | March 31, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

So Tarik,

Olie gets the start tomorrow?

Posted by: old time hockey | March 31, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

quit the 'p word' stuff

PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS

There, I broke the bad karma

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

OH, and on an even more positive note, if BB had been coach from the beginning, the Caps would have been at the top of the conference legitimately. Now THAT impresses me. i had all but given up on thanksgiving.

Posted by: 007 | March 31, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

You'll always lose games now and then to stupidity (Brash's triple minor) and horrible luck (Niklas' goal that was credited to Cindy). It's just the way of things. Whether you get into the playoffs or not and whether you succeed in them has to do with consistency on a larger scale. That's why the seasons and playoff rounds are so long.

If the Caps fail to make it in, it'll be because of that abysmal start to the season, not because of one or two losses down the stretch.

Posted by: HolyOlie | March 31, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

We are the soviets thoe

lol

Posted by: @ Shaggy | March 31, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Re: 3-point games, if you got 0 points for losing in OT, but 1 point for losing in the shootout, the NHL's overtime would proceed to consist of teams practicing their saucer passes between the blue lines.

3 points for a regulation win and 3 points distributed among 2 teams for OT/SO games seems to make the most sense, but it would completely skew the historical records.

I think we're probably stuck with the current system for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: katzistan | March 31, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm so hoping we make the playoffs!!!! The guys are playing with so much fire now!

However, IF we don't. I blame Donald 100%. That penalty he took was stupid, plain and simple. There is no other reason for the loss. I've said it a zillion times on this board over the year - WHY IS HE PLAYING? And I still don't understand why management gave him another contract. He didn't and doesn't deserve a roster spot regardless.

Posted by: Tracy | March 31, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe gamblers in Vegas wouldn't like our chances of getting in. But....

folks we are becoming the Colorado Rockies of hockey. Who thought they could win 20 of their last 21 to win the division?! Or who thought the Mets would totally collapse and lose the east?! The odds against the Rockies winning were immense.

We can and will win our last three and some team ahead of us ( maybe Ottawa)will drop at least two. Wouldn't it be nice, tho, to have a one game playoff ( like Colorado did) if we were tied for points?

Posted by: Paul | March 31, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Donald Brashear plays because he is a very solid forchecker and is a much needed physical presence. The one game he didn't play in during that last road trip (atlanta I think) was a game when our opponents were hitting and were a lot more aggressive because they did not have to fear the Donald. He does what he does well. He protects our stars, and he wears down the other teams D with hits and a relentless forecheck. Yes, he shouldn't have thrown the punch but to blame the whole season on that one play is ridiculous.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow Tracy,

I guess Brash shouldn't expect a Christmas card from you next year.

Posted by: mpbowler | March 31, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, Wendel's back!! Don't worry, Leeguru - we got it!! :-)

mauree - I will be curious to hear what you think of it ... :-D (Probably best that you did not see it before coming to the US, for fear of thinking we are all like that!! ;-))

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Tracy,

What does the name Glen Hanlon mean to you?

Posted by: HolyOlie | March 31, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Brash plays several important roles, one of which is being the tough. In a Hockey News poll of actual NHL players, he was ranked as the third best fighter in the league and the third best PLAYER amongst enforcers. If you don't have people that play the enforcer role if the opposing goons get out of line, you will be taken advantage of. The Red Wings know all about that and have beefed up on the beef to try and make it beyond the 1st round when the Prez trophy is nothing but a doorstop. Ask your favorite player how much he wants Brash - you'll get the same I'm givin.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | March 31, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - thanks for the update. great to hear that Ovie realizes how crucial tomorrow's game is. I hope he impresses that onto the rest of his teammates.

@ everyone - quit your bickering and be glad that we are still contenders at this point of the season for the first time in 5 years.

Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: Jill | March 31, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Brashear didn't have a meltdown, he didn't cause two 5 on 3. Enough of it. Brashear did the RIGHT THINGS, Hnidy was hunting Ovechkin. After that knockout Hnidy was nowhere near Ovechkin in the next game.

If you want the word MELTDOWN, it was Backstrom goal vs. Huet. I can bet for a moment he thought it was a game vs. Habs. Huet changed his mask in a hurry. I was surprised that Nicklas didn't raise his hands in celebration.

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

6-14-1

Big hole that the team has almost climbed out of.

As Yogi said, "It ain't over till it's over"

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

NY Slapshot blog

Carolina at Washington Could it be? If the Canes lose to the Washington Ovechkins, they're tied for the Southeast Division lead. Think Bruce Boudreau has set his Caps for third place? Carolina and Washington both go on to play Tampa Bay and Florida. If the Caps and Canes both sweep in Florida, Carolina gets the crown with more wins.

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

All I have to say is " Ain't this fun"...

Posted by: Rich C | March 31, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Huet will start tomorrow according to Corey.

SURPRISE !!!

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Tracy

you must have some problems,because you act as if you don't even like to see him fight! I mean that's just weird.

Posted by: CA Caps Fan | March 31, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

IF we win tonight..

I believe the best chance for the Caps to make the playoffs is through Carolina. Tomorrows game is going to be a battle. With a loss.. they play Tampa at home the next night. Back to back games.. the Bolts could stop them, or hold them to OT. If not.. Florida played them great 2 days ago, and have another shot at keeping them close on Friday.

This all plays into the fact that we play the Bolts and Florida on the 2nd night of back to backs. If you look at it, one would think that the two teams dictating the divisional winner, probably have more animosity (ie willingess to play spoiler) against Carolina then us. Or, at least it makes for a more positive conspiracy theory then the opposing ones about Pitt throwing games to Philly.

Either way.. the most important game is Tuesday.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | March 31, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"That includes Bret Hedican, who was back at practice as well after missing most of Friday's win and all of Saturday's loss with a "torso" injury."

That was definitely Ovechkin. HEdican was barely alive after that cryshing open ice hit by Ovechkin.

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"He had some potenially bad news for Caps fans: Ray Whitney and Justin Williams practiced today and could be in the 'Canes' lineup tomorrow"

Bring them all on, who cares! Even if they resurrect Brindamour (sp) it won't help them.

Go, Caps!

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@ Yahoo staff writers...

WTF is wrong with you clowns!!! Nicklas Backstrom bio pic is 1 thing.. but this story:

"But the Caps have shown one thing for sure--they've at least got the core of a very, very good hockey team. They will have to persuade Cristobal Huet and Viktor Kozlov--two of the players acquired in GM George McPhee's three spectacular trades at the deadline--to return if the team is to stay at this level. Huet has unseated long-time starter Olie Kolzig and been spectacular, and Kozlov looks like he did five years ago."

Wow... and I thought I've seen #25 on the ice for 78 games this year... I wonder if they think the 3rd spectacular trade involved Semin?

What a bunch of clowns!!!

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | March 31, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

JamesD,

What is the point? The Caps are not going to make the playoffs, or you saying how slim the chances are? You think nobody knows this? Don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining... There really is no reason to think outside the box because everything is right in front of me - it is what it is and the Caps need a miracle to make the playoffs; however, as of now... they are one of the few teams that can say they still have a shot.
3 games left - whoever makes the most out of those 3 games to get to 95/94 will make the playoffs.

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@James D,

"I'm the man in the box". Gotta love the Alice in Chains.

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Tracy,

Brash is not here for his speed or scoring finesse. He is an enforcer. Like it or not ever team has one, and they still play an important role in the NHL. When some no-talent, cheap shot thug like Hatcher or Laraque is taking runs at Ovie and Backstrom, who do you suggest step in? Ovie is fearless and wouldn't think twice about dropping the mits, but I don't think it is in the team's best interest for Ovie to get involved in a slugfest with anyone, he's just too valuable. It's far better to put a tough guy there that can intimidate, and who knows how to fight when the need arises. He also brings a nice element to the forcheck. I've seen him muscle a lot of guys of the puck that has lead to scoring chances. As far as enforcers or "goons" go, I think Brash probably is one of the better stick handlers in that class. He is not a scorer, but then again that isn't his job. An entire team full of scorers wouldn't work. You need to fill all the roles. That's really what a team is all about, everyone knowing their job, and doing it well. Gretzky had Dave Semenko, Ovechkin has Brash. The great one himself has credited much of his success to the enforcers who watched over him. Like it or not, it is the way of things in hockey...

Posted by: BearsWoooo | March 31, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@ Tracy & Brashear Bashers

Good idea blaming Brash for 1 bad penalty that could or could not have directly led to a loss. Way to ignore the other times we let a point slip.

Some examples you say....
10/20/07 M. Green 2 min slashing. Ryan Whitney scores 2nd goal for Pitt. Pitt 2-1

10/26/07 C. Clark 2 min Interference. D. Sedin scores on PP 2:11 into the game. Van 3-2

11/2/07 B. Pothier 2 min penalty at end of 2nd period. RJ Umberger scores a PP goal first minute in the 3rd. Philly 3-2

The list goes on and on of penalties that resulted in goals that could have given us a point more. That's just penalties. Not counting turnovers that led to goals (45 seconds into the game Vs St. Louis on 10/27/07 - Blues 3-2).

So, before you break out the blame thrower, and look at the actions of one man, and one play, for why the Caps didn't make the playoffs over the course of the season; perhaps you should reflect a little longer on your position. Maybe then you will realize that your accusations make about as much sense as punching a guy in the face in front of the ref, immediately after taking a penalty. Then again, I guess by your standards.. that would make YOU responsible for the Caps not making the playoffs....

Whoooaaaaaa

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | March 31, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"Trust me, I've watched the movies, and the team that starts miserably, fires its coach on Thanksgiving, gets pretty hot, trades for a cheese-eating French goalie and then plays .750 hockey down the stretch doesn't wind up one point short. That's just not the way these things end." -Steinberg
o_O

Posted by: honed | March 31, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

all i'm saying is that if we were to pick one game to bite us in the a** it will be that boston game. The pens game I new we were going to loose plus pit loosing that game doesn't hurt them as much as boston. -2 points from the PENS we don't care -2 from the bruins +2 to the caps and our playoffs chances are huge. I know we started bad everyone takes penalties but that brashear meltdown with the game in hand and 2 points. Have to know when to back down and kick his a** after the game with the points in hand. OVIE can defend himself unlike crosby he doesn't need brash to hold his hand down the rink when it gets rough

Posted by: smartfan | March 31, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I hate sound pessimistic, but if you watched one of BB interviews he said he once coached Mississippi team and they won 9 out 10 last games and ended up one point short.

Hopefully this time tables turning for BB.

Go, Caps!

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I feel that these past few months have made the Caps and the Cap Fans believe.

Def looking forward to the times to come...

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I believe.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

While we're defending Brash by pointing out how many games the Caps have lost due to stupid penalties, ponder this: how many games would the Caps have lost if Brashear hadn't been on the ice, keeping the other team's goons in line? How many more Caps players would be out like Pothier?

Posted by: Gelf | March 31, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Screw Olaf Kolzig

Posted by: Alex | March 31, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Tarik--

thanks for updates. don't begrudge you the day off yesterday, but ... for the Post not to have a word about the Caps or hockey today--not even a measly wire service recap on the games critical for the Caps chances to make the playoffs--is just pathetic. Do your editors not realize what an incredible clutch road trip the local hockey team just pulled off, setting up an amazing showdown tomorrow night and a nail-biting week of suspense--or do they just not give a damn?

Posted by: Jim H | March 31, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Brash is playing perfectly fine in the role the Caps need him to play (imho).

I don't hear the lady singing for the Caps.

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I believe.
@Sombrero

That's good, but not enough. You have to sacrifice for the Caps to win.

Like I do pushups and I say, 5 more for Ovie and Caps, or 5 more for Caps for tomorrow's game.

Hockey Gods are watching!

5 more pushups for Caps! Everyone!

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Tell Luke his articles suck, and that he better get his golf clubs ready!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

doing math.....

Ok, if i do zero push-ups now, and vowed to never do another push-up again after I left the army, but I love the caps, carry the one, multiply by pi, add the number of goals scored on weds by a swedish player named Sven, subtract the pant size of ted.......

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

it got really quiet after 5 pushups suggestion. How about 'eat one burger less' before tomorrow's game.

Now this place will get empty. :-)

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

Leave the fuzzy math to nerds.

Just do it! 5 pushups, 10 pushups or 1, it depends. But you have to do it before tomorrow's game.

Tarik,
How about you? Can you lead us by example?

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

hey gang, there's a survey on The Sporting News' NHL page. I'd provide the link, but the blog doesn't seem to be supporting links. The gist of the survey is who will be left out in the east. Vote for someone besides the Caps, respect!

Posted by: JIM | March 31, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling I am gonna be quite hungry on Wednesday. I'm am thinking about a pound of wings.....Boy would those be the best wings ever, especially if they were free.

Posted by: Roger #94 | March 31, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

No wings until playoffs, sacrifice!

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

But Yo, the wings would be a result of the 6 goal club being reborn.

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@YO..depends is what YOU wear

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Ah they're killing me with this red-out business, I chose to go with the White/Road jersey because I'm a fan of home-whites, but now I need to do something with red....Ted you're killing me

Posted by: AP | March 31, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

S a c r i f i c e . . . :)

Hockey Gods are watching.

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Can I ask a question maybe it is dumb. why during this exciting playoff push can Caps fans not find enough good to talk about rather then always having to talk about Pitt. I can see why their fans think they are better because their team is constantly on caps fans minds. I am just curious.

Posted by: Chad | March 31, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Chad,
Are you Pens fan or just started rooting for Caps?

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

why is everyone named Chad a pole smoker?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@YO..depends is what YOU wear

hehehe good one...

Now do 5 pushups for Caps, hopefully YOU don't wear depends, do you?

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I bet you are not allowed to post links anymore because "Yo" thought it would be funny to trash a Caps player by displaying links.

Nice going - way to ruin it for all of us.

Posted by: 828 | March 31, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Wesley's favorite food is Cotton Candy!!!

Bring him on!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Re: 3 point games.

The shootout is a cheeseball gimmick. Take the most intensive team sport, where everyone has a role on the road to victory or defeat (even the backup goalie opening and closing the bench door), and turn it into a one-on-one with the goalie. BOLLOCKS!!

With the race the way it is this year, I would not be surprised to see a playoff spot come down to a shootout, where the guy with the puck on his stick either scores to get into the playoffs, or doesn't score and the season is over. That is the worst scenario I could ever imagine, even if it is my team getting in with a shootout win.

My proposed solution: 10 minute 4-on-4 overtime, followed by a 5 minute 3-on-3, at which point someone will likely score on an odd-man break, but at least it would be a live hockey play, not a blow-your-Ron Tugnutt penalty shot. How lame.

If it must go to a shootout, they should be worth .5 pts only.

Summary: the shootout is offensive to the greatest team game on earth, and should be relegated to history as a failed experiment, a la the Flyer's Cooperalls.

Posted by: Sem-antic | March 31, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@sem-antic

3 pts to a regulation win. 3 pts to an OT win. 2 pts to a shootout win, and 1 pts to a shootout loss.

Case closed.

Posted by: SA_Town | March 31, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

GO CAPS!!!
We need some love from the Hockey Gods!!
Oh Please............
I think this is where JSchon should come in........

Posted by: Greenie | March 31, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Good point Greenie. Thankfully enough there's no seperation of church and the state of hockey.

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about who / what / which game to blame IF we don't make it ... first of all, let's focus on making it!! :-) If the Caps keep winning, I would be surprised if something does not break open. And if they don't make it, well, it takes a whole team to win, and a whole team to lose. A loss in November hurts as much as a loss in February. Regardless, next season promises to be quite a ride - I am looking forward to it already!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Washington can't worry about what other teams are doing. Win tomorrow, win Thursday, and win Saturday; hopefully 94 points gets them in.

BTW, 3 points for a regulation win makes perfect sense.

Posted by: Patrick | March 31, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

BTW, beyond the heart attacks and sheer joy of the past couple of weeks, does anyone else feel a bit like they did during the off season?!? I mean, it has been a long time since I have been to the VC, and feels even longer than it really was (a bit like the summer). I can't wait for tomorrow's game!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@828

What's up with you? Did I say something bad about Semi?

Well, I didn't. You must have mistaken me for someone else.

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R - very nice, church and hockey, hmmmmm doesn't the hockey God love the CAPS tooooo - Dang it, I thought he was a CAPS fan??
Have a good evening all!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 31, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Patrick:
I could not agree more, on all accounts ...

So, who is writing the new prayer to the hockey Gods?!? We need a doozy!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I think JSchon is responsible!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 31, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I like cooperalls.

Ok, not really.

Here's the wrinkle. They wanted to add the shootout so that you wouldn't have these tedious overtimes where no one even shot on net in order to take the point. Offering 2 points for an OTW and 1 for a tie or OTL was supposed to stop that, but whatever.

Switching to other systems like the 3 point games or the return to the old way all have their problems.

What is particularly grating is the Caps are chasing teams they won't play. And worse, they play each other. So, the Caps can only earn 2 points. But the teams they are chasing can collectively earn 3. Instead of worst case being the Caps gain no points on one and two on the other, or one on each, they might only gain 1 on 1 and none on the other. And since they've started trading wins, it feels like they earn two points every night-each.

That's why I like my 3 point game solution. Every team has access to 3 points which can be earned through solid play.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 31, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

old time hockey:
I am not against the 3 point solution, and in many ways think it makes a lot of sense (i.e. why shouldn't a regulation win be worth more than an OT win? It sure would push guys harder for the last few minutes of the game!). However, I think it was not embraced because it would spread teams out too much. Again, that could be a good thing, but the end of this season surely would not have been as exciting ... and I think the league wants people to be this excited! It certainly helps ratings, and is probably sucking in new fans. So while I used to support the 3 point win, now I am not so sure ...

BTW, Cooperalls rock (in a something's not quite right with this picture kind of way).

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

On Brashear - hopefully the last post on this!

He shouldn't have had a double minor. There was no blood.

Hnidy decided (stupidly, I hasten to add) to take a run at Brashear. That's 3rd man in and an automatic 2 min. penalty, and a game misconduct and a suspension (didn't get charged). Brash decked him in one GLOVED punch.

If you want to place blame on a possible no show, look to gmgm, Hanlon and the pre-Thanksgiving Day games that we lost, or the ones we lost against Florida and TB.

Blaming one person's single penalty for a whole season is plain vindictive, idiotic, and childish.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

we need the rags to win this game tonight. They have four games left and will probably beat the Isles twice to put them at 95 points. This will get them in. If the Rags win this will make the final two penguin games important to them. the final two games for the penguins are against the flyers. If the Penguins need the two games to win the conference which they probably will, then they will be more active at winning the games. Go for the Rangers tonight.

Posted by: AGP1962 | March 31, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Semi: Y do u mock meh

Is that link that you were asking, 828?

Posted by: Yo | March 31, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

10 minute 5 on 5

game ends..its a tie.

no 3 pt games..

2 pt for winner 1 pt for tie.

Posted by: Tommmy | March 31, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@ SA Town - I don't think its such an open and shut case.

3 pts for a win does not solve the problem of too many available points available in any one given game.

To my mind, this problem is not corrected by actually increasing the avialable points (where one game could award a combined 4 pts), but would rather be solved by decreasing the available points for a lame shootout win.

Teams would lay it on the line in OT for the extra point, an OT which should be extended to 10 mins. Hockey is a war of attrition.

Maybe another idea would be to have the full two points available to the team that scores in the first five mins of overtime. Once past the 5 minute mark, each team gets 1 point and plays for the extra 1.

With a full 4 pt swing available in OT, that would make for some pretty exciting 4-on-4 hockey, but would still not make so many pts available so soon in the contest.

The point is that as the game persists, the available point swings diminish, 2 to 1 to .5. Extend the window in which to score 2 pt swing into OT, then diminish it along the way to where it is only a .5 swing for a shootout victory.

This is all semantics anyway, because Bettman loves his "skills display".

Posted by: Sem-antic | March 31, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Tommmy:
Actually, I think longer 4 on 4 would do the trick ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Sem-antic:
Too many numbers for the end of the day ... my head hurts ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Where the world of spirit meets Caps hockey...

Ace of Swords looks good.

Posted by: Sem-antic | March 31, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

4 on 4 is still a gimmick.

keep it true to the game.

5 on 5 for 10 minutes and if a team decides to sit back for 10 minutes, they probably will be scored on.

Posted by: Tommmy | March 31, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Since the post did not see fit today with everything going on, I figure why not post this yahoo article...good reading

Posted by: Rich C | March 31, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Re Brashear (sorry)...

Hindry was not 3rd man in. He got sucker punched by Donny.

@Semantic,

I'm sorry, how does my proposal make 4 points available? There are 3 points. The only way to earn all 3 is to win it in regulation. If you're chasing someone or someones, you have the right to earn the same amount of points as those teams.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 31, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

@ Tommy

4-on-4 is a part of "the game" and would be prepared for by a team irrespective of its OT structure.

Unlike the shootout, 4-on-4 play requires many of the skills of an actual game under a running time clock: passing, backchecking, forechecking, team defense, hitting, etc.

Calling it a gimmick in the sense of the shootout is not accurate.

Even so, 5-on-5 for 10 mins would likely do the trick, but 4-on-4 just increases the chances of a goal, and let's the skill players show their passing, skating, and shooting stuff (not to mention the poor goalies).

Posted by: Sem-antic | March 31, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Its still a gimmick

Anything that falls outside the normal realm of play is a gimmick.

If the teams played 4 on 4 the entire game, then it would be acceptable.

Posted by: Tommmy | March 31, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Best thing that happened to the Caps this year...Semin got injured in training camp.

If he doesn't get injured maybe they win a few more games early on. If they do better early on Hanlon maybe doesn't get fired until later, they get lower emotionally and the run with Boudreau isn't as good as it has been.

Posted by: Bubba | March 31, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@semantic,

10 minutes of 5 on 5 will do it? Ever sat through a Quadruple OT playoff game? I've done one 4 and a bunch of doubles. Its fun the first time, less fun the second and third time. So sometimes 60 minutes of 5 on 5 overtime isn't even enough. Can you imagine 10 or 20 minutes of tight defensive hockey after 20% of the regular season games? That would be completely unbearable for a meaningless game against a Western conference team

Posted by: old time hockey | March 31, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Will be there tomorrow night wearing my red Hunter jersey (my #8 is an away white jersey). My daughter will just have to wait until Saturday to unveil her new Home Ovechkin jersey.

How wrong is it that I am thinking about letting her stay home from school on Friday to attend practice to see if she can get some ink on her new jersey?

I have created a hockey monster. Birthday party was filled with little girls screaming over Jonas Brothers with her taking periodic breaks to find out the score. Favorite presents were the Ovie jersey and set of Upper Deck rookie cards. She was bummed that the large card in the box was of Kane not Nicky.

Will be out of pocket most of tomorrow for all of the pregame angst, but hope to check in for roster updates, etc. I know we want the Pens to still be hungry after tonight's game, but still think that the more the Rangers lose the more chance we can catch them. Let's just keep Malkin and He Who Must Not Be Named off the scoresheet.

Posted by: Kim | March 31, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I save my prayers for game day guys... but here is a Haiku for tonight...

I hate Sid the Kid
But I hate the Rangers more
Pens win 4 to 2

Posted by: JSchon | March 31, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Pens

But Rangers need to lose. Not going to catch the Pens.

Id rather have 3 potential teams to catch than 2.

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm with the fans who say the Senators are done. I live in Ottawa, but am a Ranger fan going back to 1970. The Senators are disoriented now, their goaltending is suspect. Ottawa's deadline deals didn't add much. The fact that Ottawa didn't want to deal its first-round draft pick because the NHL draft is here this summer says everything about their commitment to winning the Stanley Cup. Imagine choosing to keep a low first-round pick so fans at Scotiabank Place have something to cheer about instead of gearing up for a long playoff run.

I think a great first-round matchup would be Washington-Pittsburgh -- Ovechkin against Crosby. If my Rangers don't do anything in the playoffs -- if they qualify -- I'm rooting for the Caps ... if they qualify.

Posted by: Garey G. Ris | March 31, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Bryan Murray is a loser.

Posted by: Sem-antic | March 31, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Forget about Brashears and the Bos/Pit weekend...If we can't beat Carolina tomorrow night at home after the way the we've been playing lately then perhaps it wasn't meant to be. Even still, that doesn't totally count us out. Someone's going to choke. Let's hope it's not us.

Go Caps!

Posted by: DeadKing08 | March 31, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

@jill
Keep her home.Kids don't do anything in school on fridays.
@Wendell
Nobody comes into our house and pushes us around. That's from "Rudy".

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 31, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

@Kim not Jill
Wrong person. I'm confused.Too much playoff pressure.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 31, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

OK, since everyone else has weighed in on Brash, so will I (plus I love beating a dead horse). When Brash popped him I thought, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!! HOW COULD YOU BE SO THOUGHTLESS?!? STOP ACTING LIKE A GOON AND THINK ALREADY!! THANKS FOR LOSING AN OH SO IMPORTANT GAME FOR THE ENTIRE TEAM AND ALL CAPS FANS EVERYWHERE!!! (My apologies if that was too subtle; I hope you got my point.) Suffice it to say, he is old enough to know better. HOWEVER, if the Caps do not make it into the post-season, then I really won't blame him. Seriously. A lot of other things had to happen to get to where we are (there's no Brash in TEAM). Hopefully it will all be a moot (love that word!) point, and we'll be talking about how we made it DESPITE all of those things! And that's all I have to say about that.

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Kim:
But Kane is still a pretty good rookie card! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I should be rootin for Pittsburgh in this game correct?

Posted by: Dan | March 31, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Dan:
Unfortunately, yes ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

As much physical pain as it causes me, we need the Penguins to win out. In regulation. oh, my heart!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Tell me about it. I am still working but have the game on in the background and it pains me to cheer for the Pens. I think it helps a little that I am not actually watching ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

How about we just root for the Rangers to lose?

This way we dont directly cheer for the pens.

I mean, if the rangers lose out..then caps will get in if they win out

Posted by: Tommmy | March 31, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the teams within striking distance..

Philly
Ottawa
Boston
NYR

Caps only need 1 to falter.

Of the 4 I would much rather see Boston falter.

Caps have had Ottawa's number so a matchup down the road against them would be great

Philly is just up the road and if the playoff gods allowed a series between the two teams..imagine how good those games would be? Caps and Flyers always have hard fought series, I think it would be fun to watch

Rangers..well if seeing Jagr get beat by OV isnt motivation enough..I dont know what is.

Soooooo.....Im rooting for Philly, NY, and Ottawa to get in and Im rooting for Boston to falter

SO..go everyone but boston

Posted by: JamesD | March 31, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Am I reading this right -- the Pens have only one shot on goal? See what rooting for those ****** does? The hockey gods are not pleased. Yuck!

Posted by: JIM | March 31, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

If Pens win, Fleurry (or however the f he spells it - old Bob is into the scotch tonight) will have to do it. He has been great so far.

Rangers are not going to lose out. They are essentially tottering in. They have two with the Islanders who have had the tubes removed. If I heard Jonesy right, they are missing 11 regulars.

Aside: Geez, how did the Pens dodge that one?

Posted by: Old Bob | March 31, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Second period is even more lopsided than the first. Fans are beginning to boo the zebras. I smell a 5 on 3 coming up.

I remember an incident many years ago at the Capital Center when Wally the Walrus Harris was reffing and typically was letting them play. He was standing right infront of a ranger defenceman who, despite a manly effort, couldn't hook down a cap forward, so he tackled him. Wally let play continue. The crown booed him all the way up the ice and all the way down. Before he got to the circle, he shot up the arm for an infraction that no one around us ever saw. You just can't beat NHL officials for genetic inferiority.

Posted by: Old Bob | March 31, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

That's the right call if for no other reason than the Rangers are a bunch of Analpores.

Posted by: Old Bob | March 31, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Stupid Pens!

Posted by: JIM | March 31, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Stupid Pens!

Posted by: JIM | March 31, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Will an asteroid hit while the Pens and Flyers are playing, thus saving us the pain of having to root for the Pens (twice)?

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Brutal way of death... I hope at least their asteroid insurance rider's are up to date.

Posted by: JSchon | March 31, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
It is like a cruel joke - we are forced to cheer for the Pens AND they tank ... which is worse?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I stand by and reiterate my point: the chance for the Rangers to get less than 4 points in the last 4 games (including this one) is small imho. If they win tonight, it will motivate the Pens to win against Philly. I see Philly as the weakest team and with the toughest schedule.

If the Pens are solid on top, they might tank the last 2 games with Philly.

I'm worried that I'm the only one thinking this lol

@Boo!
I'll watch animal house this weekend probably :D

Posted by: mauree | March 31, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Mauree

What excuse do you have for not watching ANimal house before now?

I'm so dissappointed!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I choose to root against Philly. I can do that pretty easily.

Posted by: Steve R | March 31, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

@Lee

Arg guys gimme a break!!! Only 6 years in US, and before that in Italy that genre was not really watched/appreciated much. I know I got some catching up to do :D

Posted by: mauree | March 31, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

still life. Pens score

Posted by: old Bob | March 31, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

1-1

Posted by: JSchon | March 31, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - Give this to Luke in Carolina please.

BRING IT.

Posted by: pch49 | March 31, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm happy about the Pens scoring. Well, they better get another (at least), so the Rangers get no points. Even if they don't the Rangers are the back door with two games against the Isles.

Posted by: JIM | March 31, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Looks like another 3 point game...one more pens...just one...in regulation

Posted by: Rich C | March 31, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Halphren helped with Canes, maybe Gonchar can help with Rangers.lol

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

So much for Gonchar ... Oh well, I never thought we had much of a chance of getting help from the Rangers, anyway. They have too many games in hand. Our meal ticket is going to come from Boston, Philly, Ottawa or Carolina.

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Pens and Rangers go into OT obviously. Can't catch one break or what? Unreal.

Posted by: Ben | March 31, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Rangers win. It's actually funny. I bet Philly beats the Pens twice the way things are going.

Posted by: Ben | March 31, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

and the rangers win..this is getting slightly frustrating.

Posted by: ngu | March 31, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh well ... hey, at least we are less likely to play Pitt first round if we get in at 8! Besides, gotta love the way the Rangers fans cheer ... :-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

That is what I get for asking Gonch to help out....

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

@ 9:41:
Yes ... probably best that you remain nameless ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Crap. Well the Rangers just got a little harder to catch

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy:
I don't see it happening - we have to focus on the 4 other teams falling ... oh, and the Caps just winning!

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

I thought the Rangers were the most unlikely but I was still holding out hope. Something crazy has to happen but I still believe.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 31, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy:
I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!! I'll be there tomorrow, believin' all the way!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

stupid, stupid Pens

Posted by: JIM | March 31, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

"The debate over whether Alexander Ovechkin should be awarded the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player has been long and increasingly ponderous."

...

"And what of Bruce Boudreau? What the longtime minor-pro coach has done in bringing the Caps from the bottom of the NHL standings to the brink of a playoff berth has been dramatic. But if he can't take the Caps to that final step, it's hard to consider him for hardware ..."

Read more here:

Posted by: Boo! | March 31, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

@AGP1962 and mauree:

thanks for making me feel a little better about the rangers winning tonight--though i still feel dirty having rooted for the pens to win in regulation

Posted by: Jim H | March 31, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

The Hart Trophy is awarded to the player adjudged to be of the greatest value to his team. Nothing in that def. about playoffs is there? If he doesn't get it it's a traavesty second only to Cal Ripken failing to be unanimously ellected to the Hall of Fame on his first Ballot.
Happy Opening Day!
Honk! Honk! Honk!
OMG I want it sooo bad. and I want the Pens too.

Posted by: kevbpgc | March 31, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Steve R-
I feel you. Hate the Flyers. Almost as much as the Pens.

Posted by: kevbpgc | March 31, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

The Ovechkin song is kinda funny. Adult language was used in the composition of this music so play with caution

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 1, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Well game day is upon us and I for one am ready. Ok so I won't be actually able to go tonight but for those of you that are going I thought some inspiring words were needed this morning. (Greenie - I'm looking at you).

Who better to provide these than old Bill Shakespeare himself. Below is a slightly doctored "Caps Version" of Henry V's speech before the Battle of Agincourt:

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our Southeastern dead.
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like a Mike Green slapshot; let the brow o'erwhelm it
To his full height. On, on, you noblest Capitals.
And teach those Canes how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in Russia, Canada and elsewhere, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your seeding; which I doubt not;
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for DC, Ovie, and Saint Christobal!'

Come on Boys!!!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 1, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Nice Sombrero (c:

Posted by: Super | April 1, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Dear Capitals,
This is my last game I am able to see as I am leaving the country Thursday morning. All I ask is that you win tonight and win when I am gone so I can see you when you get back. If you lose tonight, the Canes can clinch the division. With the Rangers winning last night, that is one less team you can catch. So, tonight is a must. Do it for Olie's Allstars, do it for Alex's Crazy Eights, do it for all the people that said you couldn't, do it for Washington, but most importantly, do it for me so I can see you guys again this season.

Posted by: 828 | April 1, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I now wish I hadn't skipped my ethics class last week to watch the Carolina game. I have to go tonight. But I'll be done by 7:45 ... I'll be on the couch before the start of the second period.

Go Capitals!

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | April 1, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm getting so crazy about this game that i'm gonna watch it even if this means staying awake until the middle of the night and going to work tomorrow at 8!

That's the price to pay in Europe, but hey! life's about priority isn't?

Posted by: Gui | April 1, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Only 7.5 more hours, Only 7.5 more hours, Only 7.5 more hours.

I feel like I've been on the edge of my seat every game day for the past 2 weeks!

C'mon Caps come up big tonight!

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | April 1, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Did everyone else have a problem logging onto this blog?

Posted by: Rich C | April 1, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Yes I did Rich

Posted by: Doug | April 1, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

for the record, I had nothing to do with the Ovechkin song. That was all Jupe from the Caps message boards.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 1, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

All of the Post blogs (at least the ones I read) seem to be having some problems.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | April 1, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

CAPS FANS! Please read!!!

From a source inside the caps offices in Arlington:

McPhee is screaming at the ice personnel at verizon Center because they didn't fix the ice after the circus. Apparently the circus melted the ice and after they left on Sunday Verizon center was supposed to start creating the ice since it takes 17-20 hrs. BUT THEY DIDN'T START IT UNTIL REAL EARLY THIS MORNING which means the ICE MAY NOT BE READY FOR THE GAME TONIGHT! My insider said that they cannot reschedule the game and if this does happen the Caps may have to forfeit. THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE! She went on to tell me that GMGM is going NUTS! She's never seen him like this ever....

Tarik, can you please see if this is true??

Posted by: Trav | April 1, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Is is 7 pm yet?

Posted by: Greg S. | April 1, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

There isnt a game that matters tonight other than ours.

So my prayer will be short and sweet.

Oh priestess of the puck, my you grant us one blessing tonight. In an ocean of red, may you vouchsafe upon our cherished Capitals a victory of epic proportion. May Ovechkin rise supreme upon the crease of Ward and inflict a deserved ice wash and top shelf netter. May Staal falter and find himself in the sinbin and allow Semin a chance of redemption. And allow Huet, the chosen one, to go unscathed as he protectsour home. In short oh Deity of the Deke, our boys need a win tonight!!!!

Posted by: JSchon | April 1, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I have a stupid meeting to go to tht is not letting out until 9, hopefully I'll be able to catch the last period.

Stupid jobs.

Posted by: RobMonroe | April 1, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya. I have a group meeting at 7:30 and God knows what inanities they will insist on discussing while I'm wondering what's going on in the Caps game :(

Posted by: honed | April 1, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

From WRAL in Raleigh site:

"The Carolina Hurricanes have prepared for their biggest game to date. A regulation win by the Canes will give them their fourth division title in their 10-year history.

Today's game day prep was a bit different. The Hurricanes convened in their downtown hotel for a meeting due to the fact that the ice was not available at the Verizon Center. The circus was in town over the weekend which included an evening performance on Sunday night.

Because of that, the ice will not be ready to be skated on until game time. . .

Posted by: Hook | April 1, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse