Caps Fall to Devils 4-3 in Shootout

In his first post-game comment, Coach Bruce Boudreau said that the Capitals were never in control of tonight's 4-3 shootout loss to New Jersey. He did however praise goaltender Brent Johnson, who was strong early in the game and faced more shots in the first period against the Devils -- 14, which is the most the Capitals have allowed in a single period thus far -- than he did in his entire first start against Vancouver.

"I didn't think we were really in control of the game at all," Boudreau said. "You have a 5-on-3 penalty and you get the lead, but I thought Johnnie had tougher saves to make than (Martin Brodeur). I'll have to look at the tape, but I thought he played better. I thought he was holding us in the game."

Johnson faced 37 total shots and had a solid overall performance. Brodeur stopped 24 of 27 Capitals shots en route to his 542nd career win, which makes him just nine victories shy of Patrick Roy's all-time win record.

Johnson's view of the Devils' third goal, a deflection that came as New Jersey seemed to be systematically wearing down the Capitals in the third period: "Their third goal hit off (Eric Fehr), then hit the ice, then bounced over my shoulder," Johnson said. "It was one of those erratic goals that are just strange but we got a strange one back."

*Left wing Chris Bourque back down to Hershey following the loss. Bourque played 11 minutes and 25 seconds and recorded two shots on goal against New Jersey.

*With his second goal, Alexander Semin notched his 10th point (six goals, four assists) of the season. Granted he was hampered by an ankle injury at the beginning of last year, but through the first 16 games of 2006-07 Semin recorded just two goals and four assists. Semin is also the only player to record a point in each of the Caps' five games.

"This is a baseball analogy, but right now he's hitting behind Alex," Boudreau said. "Alex is getting all the attention from every best pair of defensemen, every checking line and he's coming in and playing against an offensive line for the most part. That's what great balance does for you if one won't beat you the other one will. I'd love (Semin) to get 164 points, but it's going to happen hopefully at one point when both of them are scoring."

*The Devils smothered the Capitals power play, holding the unit to a dismal 1 for 8. The Caps are 5 for 26 with the man advantage through five games this season for a 19.2 percent success rate.

"It was just an off night (for the power play)," said Mike Green, who played a game high 34:05. "We can't take for granted that we're just going to go out there and score goals based on skill. We've gotta make sure we're working hard. Tonight we weren't getting three guys on the puck and therefore they were getting the puck down the ice and making it tough on us having to skate all the way back. By the time we got set up, we were a little bit tired and it was hard to work the whole way to the end."

*Green scored his fourth goal of the season to give the Caps a 2-1 lead in the second period. Last season, Green didn't record his fourth until Nov. 23, which was Boudreau's first game as head coach.

*With his goal in the first period Devils rookie Petr Vrana became the 13th player in New Jersey history to score in his NHL debut. The last player to do so was Zach Parise (2005).

*The loss was the first time the Capitals have been out shot this season it was also the only time they've been held under four goals.

By Katie Carrera  |  October 18, 2008; 11:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kozlov Close
Next: Sloan Recalled

Comments

I knew Bourdreau was a very good coach, but I had no idea he also doubled as a Hall of Fame goalie for New Jersey.

Sorry Tarik, couldn't resist.

Overall, wasn't our best game. The puck is bouncing a bit on Ovie, but Semin is enfuego. Well, we still got a point out of it. Bourque going down probably means that Alzner will get called up for the next one.

Posted by: ranndino | October 19, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Frustrating game but at least we managed to snag a point. I was given some seats in 102 tonght rather than my usual 400 level seats. It really does seem like our skill guys (Fedorov, Backstrom, Ovechkin) are trying too hard to thread the needle through 4 sticks rather than just unload a shot and look for a rebound. Ah well. 3-1-1 isn't so bad but playing 5 of the next 6 on the road is a tough way to start a season.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 19, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

did anyone else notice when nj had the puck behind our net and feds was out there, he wasent in position protecting the crease? i think he has been great on d but we have also kept the other team from setting up in our zone much while he's been out there. feds was trying to poke it out from the boards while the crease was filled a nj player.

and when did we start overloading in the d zone, bruce is gonna have a field day next practice.

Posted by: andy | October 19, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I think you mean Brodeur.

Posted by: Typo | October 19, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

""Boudreau stopped 24 of 27 Capitals shots en route to his 542nd career win, which makes him just nine victories shy of Patrick Roy's all-time win record."

I think you mean Brodeur."

Unless Boudreau is just that darn good! :)

Posted by: Witty Retort | October 19, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Folks, calm down, I'm sure Tarik will fix his typo soon... five comments and three of them are pointing out a typo... geesh!

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 19, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Great game by New Jersey. The Caps should take the point and run smiling. Johnny was very soild which kept us in the game. The Jersey forwards were in our back pockets all night long. I'm not sure if they were the faster or hungier team tonight but it seemed like they controlled the game more because of it. Tuff to see Ovie miss that last SO attempt we had. I think he needed for a confidence boost and to lighten the grip on the stick a bit for the next game. Wow moment of the game was that Fedorov pass with the Semin slam dunk by Marty's ear before he new what happened.
Hopefully, Clark, Ovechkin and Backstrom can find the score sheets on this upcoming road trip. If they do, I like our chances in each game. Great to start 3-1-1 this year!

Posted by: Riddler | October 19, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to call you out Katie, but guys, that typo wasn't Tarik!

Posted by: Jason | October 19, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

mauree:
How'd you like being in the VC? Did you rock the red? Not our best showing, but a fun game, nonetheless (at least you got OT and a SO!).

Dave:
Can you hook Mr. Boo up with a knighthood? Sir Boo has a nice ring to it (so does Dame Boo ...). ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Is there a worst team in the NHL over the last 3 years than the Caps?? With all this talent, why can't they win shootouts? It's realy embarassing. Everytime a game goes to shootout, it's pretty much automatic that we lose. Given the skill on this roster, it's pretty pathetic.

Posted by: badkarma723 | October 19, 2008 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Typo fixed, thanks for the catch everyone.

Posted by: Katie | October 19, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

So ... interesting night. Parts of the game were a lot of fun and very exciting. The loss was disappointing, but at least we got a point. Johnny played a great game; for some reason I doubt we would have made it to OT with Jose between the pipes. Johnny is clearly doing his best to take over #1 ... not sure that will happen, but given the way they are both playing, it certainly could (never thought I'd see the day ...). Johnny kept us in the game - Brodeur won it for NJ. I knew we were in trouble if we went to a SO ... too bad it came to that. Our PP went from really bad to unbelievable, all in the same night. If it was strong all night, we probably would have won. Ovie was not himself tonight. He may not have collected points against Pitt, but he was still playing his typical hard, fast and furious game. He just seemed a little off tonight. Semin seems to have found his game - I hope he stays there all season. Anyway, enough of my ramblings (and coulda, shoulda, wouldas). Suffice it to say, it was a good game but not great. If the boys bounce back, we'll be in good shape (at least we did not lose to a SE team :-)).

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 1:49 AM | Report abuse

How many more games will it take for BB to realize that Nylander and Backstrom SHOULD NEVER be on the power play at the same time?
That Flash deserves increased time both at even strength, and on the power play.
That Brent Johnson is much more steady and reliable than that stiff, Joseph.
That Green's primary job is to play DEFENSE.
And, that Ov sucks in the shoot out.

Posted by: Puckguru | October 19, 2008 3:00 AM | Report abuse

Flash sure looked great last night.

Johnny played like a number one goalie.

Semin is a friggin beast, and for the moment leads the league in scoring.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 19, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Anyone care to guess how NJ's done in the last 6 years:

07-08: 99 points (6th overall in the league)
06-07: 107 points (5th overall)
05-06: 101 points (8th overall)
03-04: 100 points (10th overall)
02-03: 108 points (4th overall)

They won the Cup in 02-03, and since Nicklas Backstrom has been alive, they've missed the playoffs twice. They got outplayed, but got a point out of it, without the winger on their #1 line (or # 2 if the Semin line is the top line now) and their d-men leader.

The point is that it was a tough game coming in. Practice, adjust, respond, move on.

We now return you to your regular broadcast.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"The Caps got outplayed, but got a point out of it, without the winger on their #1 line (or # 2 if the Semin line is the top line now) and their d-men leader."

/fixed, helps to reread before submitting.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 19, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice that Alex played with 4 or 5 different sticks last night, including last year's model? Bondra used to blame his sticks too. I really hope OV scores ten or something in the next game.

Posted by: Jordan | October 19, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

It really was a good, hard game that we lost because we failed on the power play. I'm sure Boudreau will be making them practice the HELL outta that this week, and rightly so. Our boys are getting there. They just need to shoot the puck and quit trying for the highlight reel goals. Five games in, they're starting to settle down, but not quite there yet. But we got a point, and it was a good, hard game.

Hopefully, with Bourque going back down, it will mean that Kozlov will be able to play again soon... if not, maybe we'll bring Alzner up and put Fedorov back on the offense. It's going to be interesting to watch over the next several days. :)

Posted by: i rock the red | October 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I have to disagree, i rock the red. I actually thought it was the worst game the Caps have played all season. It was a testament to how poorly the Devils played, too, that they didn't simply take over the game and destroy us. But it's also a testament to how well Johnny played for us -- he was a beast last night, nvm the shoot-out.

Backstrom had his best game last night, regardless of his placement on the power play with Nylander, but I assure, you, Puck Guru, that didn't hurt our power play nearly as much as not getting a single shot on net in more than one of them.

Flash didn't have a great game, either. He had a few slick moves, but he was never able to get the puck on net -- he had, what, one shot? two shots? Fehr, I thought, looked like he had a good game, with some bad luck on his deflection goal against Johnny.

Bourque was okay, but not spectacular -- that's expected, though, when you bring up a solid 2nd or 3rd line offensive threat and stick him on the 4th line. Energy guy or not, that's still kind of a crappy role to be given, but I thought he did it well enough. I hope his going immediately back down means that either Kozlov or Brashear is healthy enough to play.

And Jordan (sorry for the marathon comment, guys :-D ), I did notice that he kept changing sticks, but I also thought I saw the most broken sticks in that game than I ever have in a game before. It seemed like there were broken sticks all over the place. I didn't notice whether or not Ovie kept breaking them or was just upset with them. I am glad that he got his first assist out of the way last night, though, hopefully, everything will start falling into place for him, now.

That said, I think the Flames will be a tough game if they don't sort out their power play. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: Drinking Partner | October 19, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Help! Did someone say that they recently bought a good quality jersey on the cheap? If so, can you please remind me where you got it? Thanks! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

The Devils outplayed us for most of the game. Whenwe were up 2-1 and had over a minute of 5-3 advantage was a turning point. We were fortunate to get the tieing goal after jersey took the lead.

We miss KOZ if nothing else for the S.O.
Praise for Prasie (sp) that is his signature move in the shoot-outs,and it is un-stoppable if he hits the net,seen him do it almost everytime!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 19, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Backstrom, he seems to have gotten BB's message. He took a lot more shots last night than he usually does. Most of them missed the net (but not by much) but I was glad to see him shooting the puck a bit more than usual.

Does anyone remember reading over the summer how Ovechkin's stick design was changed? Could it just be that simple, that his shot is off because he hasn't adjusted to his new sticks?

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to equipment. I've been playing with the same hockey gear for almost 10 years (in serious need of some replacements but I am too cheap to spend the $$) and I tend to just buy cheap $30 wooden sticks rather than the $150 composites.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 19, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Drinking Partner:
I, too, noticed sticks all over the place last night, but a lot of them did not look broken. It was odd - I could not figure out what was going on.

Sombrero:
Maybe if you bought better sticks, you would play like Ovie?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Boo,

I might be able to help you out. What's your email?

Posted by: Riddler | October 19, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!,

Sometimes the sticks are just cracked through and they look fine on TV but are real dangerous to use. Plus you get a penalty for using them broken.

@Sombrero,

He was using the new stick in the beginning (black blade) and went back to last year's model in the third and for the shoot out (white blade). Pretty sure he wasn't breaking them on the ice, just unhappy with them.

Posted by: Jordan | October 19, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Boo,

Mauree was entertaining at the game, he looked like a kid at Christmas with a big smile the whole time. Got a chance to introduce him to Super and Roger 94 between periods. He'll be back for more games for sure.

Posted by: Steve R | October 19, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!

I was in awe the whole game :D just couldn't believe I was watching Ovie, Feds & all the guys.

I also got to appreciate all the details missing from the tv - especially movement w/o the puck.

If I lived in DC, I'd have season tickets - that's for sure.

Brent made a couple of great saves - and I think we lacked killer-instinct in a few occasions... but what a game and what an experience!

Thanks to Steve for the tix and company, I had a blast! Now starts the long process of brain-washing my gf to go to a few games. I want to see PIT :D

Posted by: mauree | October 19, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsRule | October 19, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Boo

Someone said they had bought jerseys on EBAY from a guy in Europe for a good price. Said they were nice jerseys,check out EBAY

Posted by: Bob | October 19, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Decent performance against a good side I thought. Most teams would have folded under the NJ onslaught in the 3rd and after giving up two quick goals I thought we did well to get a point out of it. Our third was lucky but if you don't buy a ticket, you don't win the raffle.

Not sure our PP is THAT bad. Brodeur was big for them plus we were unlucky a couple of times. The PP before Greenie scored on the 5-3, Feds set Nicky up brilliantly, great movement to create the space then the puck bounced over Nicky's blade. Poor ice?

Never felt we would get anything from the SO which is weird with all the talent. I think OV was only picked because Kozlov wasn't playing. He has such a poor SO record I'd have gone with Nyls, Semin and maybe see what Green could do.

Anyway, if you thought you were pee'd off at the end, imagine staying up to 3am watching a crappy feed and then watching them lose. Although thanks to Klay, without whos help I wouldnt have seen anything.

Mauree,
Never mind swaning off to the game with all your new friends, stay at home and sort out the reflector feeds!! :)

Boo,
Arise Sir Boo of Old Traffordshire! Utd firing now. Can't wait for Tuesday night!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | October 19, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Not to split hairs on a side issue, but I think BB meant to say that Semin is hitting ahead of Ovechkin, not behind. Hitting ahead of a feared hitter usually means you'll see better pitches to hit. For instance, the argument always was that David Ortiz was more productive because he had Manny Ramirez hitting behind him and pitchers didn't want to face Manny so they'd pitch to Ortiz

Posted by: nhcaps | October 19, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@nhcaps - Yeah, well, BB's a hockey coach, not a baseball coach.

Posted by: i rock the red | October 19, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"You know if Theodore were playing the way Johnny is I don't think one person would have a problem with him. In fact we'd all be desperately in love with him. This begs the question; Why not play Johnson more?!?!?" -- CapsRule

I have been pondering the same observation for quite some time now.
I guess there are some guys who in the eyes of others could never do anything wrong - Ovie, Kolzig, Backstrum - and then there are those who could never do anything right - Johnson, semin, Kozlov, Nylander - and they have to work extra hard to prove themselves, witness semin and nylander this season.

I hope Theodore improves fast, the caps season will depend much on him because Johnson will never be given a real opportunity to be a number one.

Posted by: x | October 19, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Erksine was embarrasing out there. Did you see him tumble over when he was going backwards? NJ seemed to pick his side a lot. His outlet passes for the most part were picked off. He did have one rush, but fell all over himself at the end. The Caps have gotta replace that oaf

Posted by: JIM | October 19, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

x/CapsRule:
I think BB has just wanted to give JT a shot at being #1 since that is what he was hired for, but he will only give him so much time to settle in. My guess is that if that does not happen soon, BB will play the hot hand.

Dave:
LOL!! :-) I'm sure he will appreciate that! In the meantime, have fun Tue night!

Bob:
Thanks - I thought it was ebay, but could not remember which vendor (there are many to choose from!).

mauree/Steve:
Glad you guys had fun - that's pretty cool that you were able to hook up! Hopefully we can all connect at some point this season. mauree - RE: your GF, have her call me - I'll set her straight!! ;-) (I may enjoy a 'lady skate', but even I would choose Caps tix over new shoes! :-))

Jordan:
I know they can't play with broken sticks and I was at the game, but from my vantage point, all the sticks didn't all look broken. Hence my confusion ...

Riddler:
I'd rather not post my email address on the blog ... :-/ Can you post the jersey info here? If not, do you email with anyone on the blog? Several folks here have my email address - we could always connect that way. Regardless, thanks for offering to help!

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Boo,

Here's my email-

EmailRiddler@aol.com

Yes, "Email" is part of the address.

Dean

Posted by: Riddler | October 19, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

anyone hear that Tyler Sloan has been called up from Hershey for the road trip?

Posted by: wendel | October 19, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

He left Hershey tonight as the game was over.

Posted by: HBFan | October 19, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Dean - I sent you an email.

wendel/HBFan:
I can't find anything about it online - I will be curious to hear what the scoop is!

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I talked to him in person he had his caps bag and was on his way to DC. Believe me if you want but I am telling you that he will be there.

Posted by: HBFan | October 19, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

you wont find it online yet, there was no press release. But I am telling you tomorrow you will read about it. I am giving you the before hand scoop.

Posted by: HBFan | October 19, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo

Ovechkin Jersey with the A and fight stap was on EBAY for 75.00 and 14.00 for shipping and 2.00 for insurance. Sports zone is out of Sweden, but the Jersey shipped from Shanghi.

Posted by: Joe | October 19, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Joe! I actually found one for $60 (incl shipping), but who knows if it is any good. I will look for the one that you mentioned.

HBFan:
I believe you (even though your screen time looks an awful lot like Habs fan ... ;-)).

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

The Hershey site's recap of the game tonight reports Sloan getting called up. So that makes it official, I think.

Posted by: Akira | October 19, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

A (at least to me) even moreinteresting call up
10/19/2008 2:03 PM

North Charleston, SC – The South Carolina Stingrays and Head Coach Jared Bednar announced today that goaltender Bobby Goepfert has been recalled to the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League

So why do you think the Bears need 3 goalies? By the way MN won his first start with SC.

Posted by: Bob | October 19, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

Or should that be Dame Boo! At least it's not Damned Boo!

Just don't wash that jersey when you get it. It may fall apart. :)

Posted by: Greg S. | October 19, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Boo

The Mitchell and Ness jerseys are very nice retro jerseys. The letters are sown on individually like the real old jerseys and if you get a Watson you can take it into Bugsy's and have him sign it. The material is heavy and they are very well made. The OV jersey on EBAY for $75 sounds like a great deal for a pro jersey with sewn on lettering. Just some thoughts for you.

Posted by: Bob | October 19, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Bob-

I read this on "On Frozen Blog" this AM that probably explains the move-

"The biggest adjustment for him thus far is with the lateral movement required of goalies here, something not commonly asked of goalies in Europe on the larger ice sheets. Simeon’s hamstrings and groin are sore from all the lateral skating, and on Saturday morning he suffered a recurrence of a recent leg injury that he believes will prevent him from making his scheduled Sunday start against Wilkes Barre-Scranton and could shelve him for a couple of weeks. He also has a lot to learn about handling the puck."

Posted by: Riddler | October 19, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

At that price, it's a 99% chance that it's a counterfit jersey. Personally, I avoid going that route but I know for others it's

"The OV jersey on EBAY for $75 sounds like a great deal for a pro jersey with sewn on lettering. Just some thoughts for you."

When jerseys are sold in Sweden and shipped from Shanghi, it's another obviuos sign the jersey is a bogus knock off.

"Ovechkin Jersey with the A and fight stap was on EBAY for 75.00 and 14.00 for shipping and 2.00 for insurance. Sports zone is out of Sweden, but the Jersey shipped from Shanghi"

Posted by: Riddler | October 19, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Riddler:
Darn! You ruined a perfectly good opportunity to speculate the heck out of a call-up! My mind was a flutter after reading Bob's post. Now I've already snapped back to reality! And here I thought that things were about to get interesting ... ;-)

Bob:
Thanks for your thoughts. I actually have a couple of M&Ns and you are right - the quality is there (they are even quite heavy!). Funny you mention Bugsy - why is it that there are always Watson jerseys available on ebay?!? Too funny. Anyway, my path has crossed with his several times over the years so I have thought about getting him to sign a jersey, but I've just never done it. Regardless, I really don't need another sweater, but I for some reason I want one. Go figure.

Greg:
First of all, good advice! ;-) Secondly, I'm sure I have been called worse. RE: Dame Boo, Dave has not bestowed that honor (or should I say honour?) on me yet, but he knighted my DH (all Brits can do that on behalf of Liz, right?); I guess I need to start calling him sir ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Oops - new post! Guess what, guys?!? Sloan has been recalled!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 19, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

BOO
I know.... I just ruined all the juicey rumors that would have been generated. ;)

Posted by: Riddler | October 19, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

And I'm sure he'll be saying, "'bout damned time you called me Sir!" :)

Posted by: Greg S. | October 19, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Was it just me, or did CSN not show the Devils game in HD? I thought all home games were to be in HD.

Posted by: Bill T | October 20, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse