Caps, Pens React to 'The Save'

Here's some postgame reaction on Caps goalie Simeon Varlamov's game-defining save against Sidney Crosby in the second period:

From the Caps

Coach Bruce Boudreau: "It was a great save. There's no doubt. Goalies are taught never to give up. You look at all the great goalies that are in hockey nowadays. No matter where the play is, they never give up. You keep fighting. And that's the only way the [Martin] Brodeurs, the Tim Thomases and the [Roberto] Luongos look like they would make great saves, it's because they never quit on the puck. ... It was obviously a turning point because they would have had the lead and we would have had to play catch-up."

Brooks Laich: "I was stunned. I was like, 'Oh my God.' I was amazed. I saw Crosby shoot and I was like, 'Aw, that's in,' then [Varlamov] just reaches back and grabs it and the whole bench was like, 'Wow, that's our break, let's get going, we've got to smarten up and play better.' Incredible."

Nicklas Backstrom: "Yeah, probably [the save of the series.] I don't know how he can get the puck, it's hard to say. It's amazing and that reaction he has all the time, that's pretty amazing of him. Hopefully he can keep doing it and we can win some games."

David Steckel: "Yeah, that was awesome. That was the turnaround save for us. Because I thought up to that point they were really working us down low and we had no answer. [Varlamov] bounced back from probably what he would say was a soft goal, so he did great tonight."

From the Penguins

Coach Dan Bylsma: "From our perspective at the bench, there was a lot of bodies in front of us. You could kind of see that there was probably an open net. Then we saw the replay on the jumbotron. He made a spectacular save. There was an open cage and I think Sidney was on his backhand and [Varlamov] put his stick back there and got it right on the goal line."

Sidney Crosby: "I don't need to discuss [the big stops]. You don't want to waste those opportunities. You want to take advantage of it. You end up losing the game, 3-2, and you don't want to look back and say, 'What if?' The fact is, it happens in the game. As a player, you have to forget that quickly."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 2, 2009; 5:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 1: Capitals 3, Penguins 2
Next: Steckel-Laich-Bradley Line a Winner

Comments

Awesome, Semyon. Welcome to the second round Sid.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 2, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Crosby is an ass. At least Bylsma had the manners to acknowledge a great save. BB would do no less of Fleury did the same.

Great game, great start to a series.

Posted by: bucknelldad | May 2, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: woodsidej1 | May 2, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

It was great to be in VC today. After a horrid first 12 minutes, I thought the Cpas really stepped it up, and I mean everyone.

Bruce really believed in Flash: 2nd line, PK, PP -- he must like that match up against the Pens. And Flash delivered.

Each of the players who heretofore could've been better were much more: Feds, Koz, Fehr, Flash. Some very steady D, and what a carry over from the last series for the PK?!!

Pens are scary good coming into the zone. We have adjustments to make. But this was a great start.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 2, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

AND how bout our checking line?!!! A team effort today.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 2, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Crosby played great today, I think he was taking the question more as if they were asking if he blew it. Understandable I suppose. Varly's save was key to get the momentum back though after he let in that softie. I thought we grabbed the momentum and carried the play for the 2nd half of the 1st and the first half of the 2nd period, but took a few penalties and the soft goal really killed it. That save got our guys back into the game.

Need less penalties, although I thought the consistency was lacking with the refs a little bit. Kozlov still didn't look that great to me, Feds played ok. Just feels like Ovie is looking to open up some lanes or wanting to see someone drive the net more for a feed or a rebound. If our 3rd line (Stecks/Brads/Laich) wasn't playing so great, I'd want to see Laich up with Ovie and Feds. They'll figure it out though, Backstrom and Semin were very good today. Besides the penalties I thought Clark had some jump.

Need to get Game 2 and hold serve here at home. You can expect them to play great up there so we need both games down here.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 2, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I thought Crosby was ungracious in his interviews during breaks and at the end. I am always impressed by how professional hockey players come across--even if they lose, they always compliment the goalie or player that beat them. Crosby was asked on several occasions what he thought of Varlamov's play and, later, of the "save." Each time, he sounded pissed and made snyde remarks, like: "I didn't remember or I didn't notice, I want to forget missed opportunities," or the quote in the article above.

He is a great player but it looks to me like his reputation as "whiny" is well earned. What a flat, prissy personality.

Posted by: caraveli | May 2, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Crosby did play a solid game, and he is ungracious.

We cannot give him so much room.

We also need to skate a lot harder and get more agressive on the back check. We seemed to have them tied up well in the middle, though.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 2, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Dave, I will agree with you that Feds seemed to have his share of giveaways (along with most everyone else), but he also was working a lot harder and had some very nice hits and passes. Koz was not a stand out, but he was better. Same for Fehr. At least from my seats.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 2, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get to see much of Fehr because Clark took 2 penalties so that line didn't get as much ice time. He looked better I suppose it just sucks he's buried on that 4th line. I think he needs more ice time to play his way out of it. I really lump him and Flash together as that secondary group of scoring that needs to chip in. Flash is getting time with Semin and Backstrom so that obviously helps. Can't be said enough how good those 2 were today. I did think Feds played better I just don't think Kozlov meshes as well with that combo than if Backstrom is centering the top line. I still think Ovie would benefit from a guy like Laich driving the net for rebounds or just opening up lanes. Hell maybe a Chris Clark on top of his game hahaha.

I will say Kozlov was better than he looked in Games 6 and 7 to me (other than his goal in Game 6). Flash had a stronger game on the whole although obviously it helps he put one home, but hey he's the same guy who couldn't buy a goal for such a long stretch so I shouldn't complain. Backstrom and Semin will get him chances that's for sure.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 2, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Caps were outplayed for 15 minutes to open and then responded to take the lead prior to the first break. Great PK today and there's no doubt Steckel was just awesome on all his shifts. Great play by the second and third lines again. Semyon was huge and once again - something this team has needed for a long time - played an out of his mind game. Fantastic all around. Well played.

See everyone on Monday night for round two.

Posted by: saintex | May 2, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Varly is so awesome!!! Too bad the TSN announcers totally blew the call and said it hit the post. :(

Posted by: rachel216 | May 2, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

This will quiet Pens fans who said that our goalie is inexperianced and faced a team with no offense in the first round.
Go Varly!

Posted by: bobluvscaps | May 2, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

caraveli - I couldn't agree with you more. "It wasn't a great save... I missed the shot".... Oh Sindey... woops I mean Sidney...face it - it was a great save...

Posted by: mdstden | May 2, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

great game!!
Caps came through in the clutch and the blueline had another solid game.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I Don't think that the Caps were outplayed AT ALL...
EH HELLO PEOPLE DOES FIVE 5 SHOTS OF THE POST/CROSSBAR HAVE ANY SIGNIFICANCE TO US????
IT COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN 5 OR MORE GOALS FOR US...THANK GOD FOR THE WIN AND SOMEONE PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE HORRID RIDICULOUS REFS...I THINK IT'S PRETTY BLATANT AT THIS POINT/ IT'S LIKE A JOKE...THE PENS MAKE 3 OBVIOUS PENALTIES/NO CALL...WE MAKE ONE NON BLATANT/ REFS CALL IT...
Caps Rule!!! Varly is just figuring out those pens...What a GREAT SAVE on crybaby!!

Posted by: masterx09 | May 2, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Interesting, I thought the refs called a good game. And any other player in the world would have acknowledged that save. I am glad that punk Cindy does not play for our team.

Posted by: buzzardbait | May 2, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

buzzardbait, stop kidding yourself. Crosby is not a punk and if the Caps had the opportunity to get him you would do it in a heartbeat. You would trade Semin or any other Cap besides Ovechkin for Crosby any day.

Posted by: SC87 | May 2, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

SC87; For Crosby, no. For Malkin, yes.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 2, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, gregg. Crysby is a baby. I don't want that beyotch on this team. On primadonna was enough with Jagirl. SC87 is just another jealous fool who can't admit that Crysby is NOT the greatest player in the world, let alone his own team.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 2, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Crysby is a whiny, living in his owners basement punk. He refuses to man up and it's laughable when his brainwashed minions defend him.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 2, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

It's laughable how you say Malkin is better than Crosby yet Malkin was barely noticeable today and Crosby was the best player on the ice.

Get this "whiny" thing out of your head. Remember in game 7 when Ovechkin stood on the ice with his arm's out complaining to the refs? Everyone tries to get the calls for their team.

Posted by: SC87 | May 2, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

56% of NHL players voted for Crosby as the most complaining player in the entire NHL. The 2nd choice had like 5% (Pronger if my memory serves correct), so it's pretty obvious that Crosby talks too much with refs. I bet it's his age and a little letter "C" on his chest that makes him do that.

Malkin wasn't noticeable because Green personally took care of him and Green is the best D this team has. I'm not going to argue about Green's weak sides and he was nominated for The Norris Trophy (got to be the best D Caps have).

Posted by: Hazz | May 2, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Green did not take care of Malkin. Green is not a shut=down defenceman. He's SUPPOSED to be an offensive defenceman but he isn't producing much offense in these playoffs. Him and Gonchar need to step it up on both teams.

Posted by: SC87 | May 2, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

@SC87....Glad your spelling of defenceman(try defenseman) reveals your obvious Canadian bias.Do you live in Nova Scotia like the little crybaby(oh,yea,I forgot,he grew up there,but lives in his owners'basement...just where the Pens will be after this series)

Posted by: roccky | May 2, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

It's one game, and you should be worried because Malkin didn't even play well today and you only won by a goal!

and ya I'm Canadian but I don't live in Nova Scotia.

Posted by: SC87 | May 2, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

JK111:
what's the word on Betts - how is he doing?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

"Sidney Crosby: "I don't need to discuss [the big stops]. "

hey jerk. you do when someone ask a question on it.

cindy makes arod look good.

Posted by: rockbroker | May 2, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

SC87: when Crysby was drafted I was disappointed we didn't win the lottery to get him, but after seeing both him and Ovechkin play for the past few years I feel we got the better end of the deal, and Crysby is nothing more than an above average passer and scorer but excels at being a pouty whiner who feels everything is owed to him. I wouldn't trade Semin, Backstrom, or anyone on our team for Crysby. He's just not a good fit for this team.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 3, 2009 6:45 AM | Report abuse

SC87: everyone wonders why Syd is so hated I can tell you why I cant stand him. First off, he works out with Lemieux all summer in 2005 and then, when Pens had a 7% chance of winning the #1 pick, they mysteriously 'win' the draft lottery and rights to draft him. The Pens are dying and are on their way to relocating, so the league steps in and fixes the lottery, everyone with a brain understands this.

Then he comes into the league and is practically the handed the Rookie of the Year before he skates a shift, but oops the league didn't count on Ovechkin being better so they swallowed hard and gave the ROTY to Ovie.

He also in his 1st year manages to whine on basically every shift he is touched. Thereby establishing, and by the next season cementing, his reputation as a cry-baby. He is given the captaincy by his landlord and BFF Lemieux, even as some unnamed senior Pens, rumored to be Conchar and former Pen Ryan Malone say he is not mature enough for it.

Is he a very good player? Absolutely. Is he the best player in the league, heck no. If I am starting a team today I take Ovie, Toews, Datysuk, Zetterberg, Iginla, Malkin, Lecaveliar, ahead of him. He is a 30 to 40 goal scorer at best and a very good passer (his real strength). He has already missed extensive time in 3 of his 4 seasons, and that will only get worse as his career goes on. I would not trade for Semin, Backstrom or Greene.

So please try to understand why there is such an intense dislike for the 'annointed one' The league shoved him down our throats, he may not have asked for it, but he didn't try to stop it either. So he and all Pens fans just have to deal with the intense dislike for Syd the Cryer.

Posted by: mig991 | May 3, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Actually I watched the early edition of "On the Fly" and the question that was asked of Crosby was whether he has ever had a better save made on him. He said yes, but that you try to forget those and move forward. Basically he repeated the same thing a couple of times. He also said that he was sure Varly would like to have the 2nd goal back. Basically he really was very ungracious about the questions.

Posted by: CapsChick | May 3, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

You American fans are so funny. Nobody would rather have Toews, Zetterberg, Iginla, or Datsyuk over Crosby.

The Kid is the best in the world. He is not even in his prime yet and look what he has done so far.

Posted by: SC87 | May 3, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

and the Caps made a huge error when they drafted Ovechkin over Malkin. Man what a bad move. If you had Malkin you would've beat the Flyers last year.

Posted by: SC87 | May 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

That fairy Crosby had the nerve to downplay Varly's save after the game. Fact is, CINDY CROSBY screwed up by not putting any air under the puck, which allowed Varly to get it. Crosby is the most overrated player in the past 50 years in pro sports, which is all I can speak to.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 3, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cindy i think i saw ur make-up running during ur postgame whinefest. Take it like a man and show other players the courtesy you always complain about not getting, thats why. No respect for anyone on the other side. But i guess thats all Pens fans showing from the dingus a few comments up about Malkin over Ovie. Gino can have the Ross trophy, guess who already has one. And if you really must know at least one or two of the Pens wins in the Flyers series this year, the ref won for you. What a loser, you and Cindy can go cry and make your crappy comments about the world on an island together somewhere.

Posted by: CapsBoy52 | May 3, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh and all American fans know SC87 that "You Cant Spell crosby, Without CRY"
Plus i would take Dustin f****n Brown from the Kings, before i would take cindy

Posted by: CapsBoy52 | May 3, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, until Dustin Brown, Jonathan Toews, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg achieve 100 point season on a consistent basis they will never be as good a Crosby. Just shut up, you'd have in on your team in a heartbeat if you could.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 12:43 AM |

What r u? 12? Are we trading hockey cards here or something?
Is it too cold to do anything else in Sucksburgh?

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 4, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse