Caps-Pens Winter Classic logos unveiled

Update: Here's a quick video from Tarik, who says there shouldn't be a bad seat in the house when "cozy" Heinz Field hosts the Winter Classic. Check out the rink setup and a mini tour.

(Photo via Tarik)

Looks like the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins will be kicking it old school when they square off at Heinz Field on New Year's Day. Tarik just snapped the above photo on his Blackberry as officials get ready for a noon press conference for the annual outdoor game.

Uniforms won't be revealed today, it seems, but judging by these logos, we'll be seeing some throwbacks on Jan. 1.

Rumor has it that the players in attendance, including Caps Mike Knuble and David Steckel and the Pens' Sidney Crosby, will attempt to shoot pucks through the uprights later, which is clearly a made-for-video moment we'll try to capture on the good old Flipcam. Stay tuned for more.

After the jump, a photo of the festivities in Pittsburgh and a better image of the logo (courtesy of the Caps):

(Photo via Tarik)

(Courtesy of the Capitals)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  July 27, 2010; 10:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHLPA files grievance in Kovalchuk matter
Next: Winter Classic 2011: Caps, Pens attempt 'field goals'

Comments

is that the caps' original 1974 logo? that's the pens original logo from 1967, i believe.

for once, i can't wait for new year's day.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: redrocker2 | July 27, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

never thought i would be excited to spend new years in pittsburgh...

Posted by: _stevo | July 27, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

never thought i would be excited to spend new years in pittsburgh...

Posted by: _stevo
----

the apocalypse is upon us because I can't believe I want to be in Pittsburgh to start the new year.

Curses! Ahhhhhh

Posted by: FrankM73 | July 27, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Good to go retro and hopefully this makes it as a third jersey worn a handful of times a year.

Posted by: flee001 | July 27, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

OLD SCHOOL, bebe!!!!

Posted by: doughless | July 27, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I dunno...I guess I should have seen this coming since almost evrery team to participate in an NHLWC seems to have gone the throwback route. Still a bit disappointing...

Posted by: Rhino40 | July 27, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

As long as we wear the white pants...

Posted by: CapsNut | July 27, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

This has nothing to do with the Winter classic, but I just read an article about stadium food on Yahoo that will make you never want to eat at a Caps game again. According to the article, Verizon Center vendors are the #1 worst of all stadiums in North America with mice droppings found in the food of at least 10 vendors.

Posted by: RockRed | July 27, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"As for me, I'm still holding out hope for a third sweater consisting of either a red or navy ground with an e-f***ing-normous Weagle on the front..."
--------------
They'd look like Wonder Woman.

They probably will use new ones for the next WC the Caps play. Only other throwback they have (besides the ones they just stopped using 3 years ago) is the blue eagle jersey.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | July 27, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I've been to Heinz Field once for a college football game several years ago. Fairly nice stadium, even sitting in the corner seats they gave us as the visiting fans (we were in the lower-level corner on the far side to the right of where Tarik shot that video). Easy walk from downtown, too.

Note that I'm commenting solely on the stadium itself. The presence of Pittsburgh hockey fans will no doubt have a negative effect on the experience. :-)

Posted by: 1995hoo | July 27, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting that each visiting team in the Winter Classic has played in Stanley Cup final. So if this holds true it means the Caps will be runner-ups this year.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

This is exciting! Hoping I can get my hands on a ticket for this. I'm excited just to see the Caps in their first WC!!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | July 27, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Frolov signed with the Rangers for 1 year and $3M.

This is interesting. First, the Rangers are going to have to make some move to get under the salary cap once they re-sign Staal. This could be done by dropping Redden to the minors, but they may also make a trade(Callahn perhaps).

Second, the Kings desperately need a scoring wing. I guess they made a play for Frolov but he turned them down. Stempniak is still out there, but, excluding his hot streak to end last season, he is only decent. People have mentioned Semin before, but a more likely solution would be possibly sending Flash to the Kings. What he would get in return, I don't know.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Food at Verizon, good thing is Ted now takes over the whole thing and he will fix this, he's fixing everything, even a place to put beer in mens room

Posted by: flee001 | July 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I totally want to see the white pants too!

Posted by: superpaqman | July 27, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Flash head to LA with a D coming back and I'm souring on trading Semin, just feel he has something special in him for playoffs, no joke future MVP of playoffs ... gut feeling ... or bad sushi.

Posted by: flee001 | July 27, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

> mice droppings

Ted is supposedly already on the case:
and hopefully he's taking it as seriously as it sounds like he is.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | July 27, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

when and where are tickets available?

Posted by: Chewbacca22 | July 27, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

chalk it upto bad sushi

And another reason to watch the games from home....

Verizon Center
Washington Wizards, Washington Capitals
Vendors with critical violations: 100%

Inspection report excerpt: Mice droppings, a critical violation in Washington, were found at at least 10 vendors.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Mice droppings, just another way to make visiting fans not buy tickets ... too bad about the friendly fire

Posted by: flee001 | July 27, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, white pants are crucial.

Posted by: wis193 | July 27, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

i propose white "shorts" with a weagle on the rear. classic. white butt weagle shorts would fly out of the merch stands!

looked like knubs got 3 points during the event today

Posted by: mcintire_will | July 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I will watch the game in HD in the comfort and warmth of my home for free.

You couldn't pay me to be in the Pittsburgh, especially not that time of year. No wonder people are abandoning Allegheny County in droves.

Posted by: playahatah | July 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Did they put Crosby's dryer on top the crossbar for bonus points?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 27, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are very likely headed to arbitration according to GMGM. Fishman is already in Toronto for the hearing.

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Knuble be positioned in front of the goalposts for redirection? As usual, no cap wants to go to the net and are satisfied with perimeter shots...

Posted by: Moose33 | July 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@Moose33

Maybe the call in game 7 has scared Knuble from ever going near the net again and the effects are already showing at Heinz field. D*mn refs!

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Anybody ever heard of breezers? Not sure hockey players wear pants. Hello! Mcfly!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | July 27, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

... he's fixing everything, even a place to put beer in mens room
Posted by: flee001
-------------------------------------------

I thought they had that already - it's called the urinal.

Posted by: braunt | July 27, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

There is not a bad seat in the house? In the literal sense that might be true, but I doubt that everyone would have a good view of the game. Unless they replace the boards with the plexiglass there is no way the first few rows will see much of the puck movement, and the ones that can see ice probably will barely see the puck from the distance ... Oh, well there is always the giant screen, but heck I have that at home. In my opinion for fans of the game, this is a non-event, but for fans of the teams playing it is probably a good atmosphere to be in.

Posted by: hock1 | July 27, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

For all those worried about the possibility of Steckel not being in the top 12 this year, I have to assume that the Caps are going into the season with the full intention that he will be playing on one of the top 4 lines.

If they didn't, I don't think they would have chose him to go to Pittsburgh for this public event.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'll take a bag of pucks and a ham sandwich. In fact, I'll just take the ham sandwich.

Posted by: Moose33 | July 27, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@Moose33

Does that ham sandwich include mouse droppings?

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ponkiarovski signs with LA

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3

I'd be willing to take the mouse droppings as long as I don't have to watch Flash get knocked off the puck by the slight breeze created from opening and closing of the bench door.

Posted by: Moose33 | July 27, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

We send guys named Mike and Dave. The Pens send guys named Sidney and Maxine...'nuff said.

Posted by: soloman5000 | July 28, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, about the stat where the teams in the Winter Classic going to the finals has me thinking either we sweep the finals or get swept, no middle ground. I think we will be so jacked up our boys will not know which way is up, Same for BB and crew. Geez...getting to the Cup.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | July 28, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse