Caps' potential lineup for Game 2

Based on the morning skate, Coach Bruce Boudreau appears to have made some changes to his lineup after Thursday's 3-2 overtime loss in Game 1.

The one constant appears to be in goal: Jose Theodore is set to return to the net and will be backed up by Semyon Varlamov. But here's how the forward lines looked this morning. (Warning: take everything in the playoffs with a grain of salt since gamesmanship is often the rule).

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
(Same as last game)
Laich-Morrison-Semin
(B-Mo in for Fleischmann, who has been moved down)
Fleischmann-Steckel-Fehr
(They've played together before this season)
Chimera-Belanger-Bradley

The D-pairs were tough to discern, but considering that Tyler Sloan and John Erskine are going to be scratches again, and Boudreau said he liked his blue line's performance in Game 1, it's probably safe to assume there won't be any changes in that department.

The forward scratches appear to be Quintin Laing, Boyd Gordon and Scott Walker.

More to come.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 17, 2010; 10:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau discusses possible lineup changes
Next: Ovechkin aims to bounce back

Comments

LETS GO CAPS!
Lets kick some canadians ass!!!

Posted by: Tondi | April 17, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Interesting choice on the third and fourth lines. I would not be surprised if those were the fourth and third lines based on how players played last game.

Posted by: Justafan | April 17, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"Boudreau said he liked his blue line's performance in Game 1, it's probably safe to assume there won't be any changes in that department."
I sure didn't like a lot of what Poti & Corvo displayed in game 1. This is the best 6 BB can muster, so I expect no changes. If those type of mistakes continue throughout this series, hopefully some permanent changes can be made to the D in the offseason. Poti literally made me gag on several occassions Thursday.

Posted by: thomas20 | April 17, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Ok Bruce, you are halfway there. Not playing Flash at center is a good start, but considering the Chimera/Belanger/Fehr line was our best line last game, why break it up? Instead of bumping Flash down a line, I'd bump him all the way to the pressbox and get Scott Walker into the lineup on the 4th line.

Posted by: cainoo7x | April 17, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Gotta agree for once with @cainoo7x, Flash could sit, but @thomas20 I think you're way off with Corvo; he played a strong game Thursday night and unlike several Caps he was playing a stepped up and higher quality game than in the regular season. Otherwise, who else are you going to put in? Erskine, Sloan or both?

Posted by: Justafan | April 17, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I like Flash at wing but never at center. This lineup will at least help us in the faceoff circle.

Posted by: caps512 | April 17, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

My malcontent was directed towards Poti. Corvo was not terrible (besides he put up the 1st goal), but he made a couple of bad plays in his own end. I expect more out of him based on what the team gave up.

Posted by: thomas20 | April 17, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Corvo's always going to have issues playing one on one hockey in his own end against most forwards. He's not strong enough to push anyone off the puck unless he takes a running start at them.

And why Boyd Gordon always seems to end up in the lineup only to be a healthy scratch after Boudreau realizes he's an average player is beyond me. This happens every yr. Boudreau tries to make him a regular in the lineup and then comes to his senses.

Frankly I'd like to see Flash OUT as well and Laing in. Good to see BMo in the lineup too. He's proving to be a better contributor than Belanger or Gordo.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 17, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Having re-read your post I see it is not so directed toward Corvo as Poti. I think he was far better than "not terrible" Thursday night. There's not a player on either team that did not make a mistake or who would not on any given night. As for what we gave up that's history now. I hope Corvo continues to play at the level he did Thursday night.

Posted by: Justafan | April 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

what he should be doing is getting Poti and/or Corvo out of the lineup. You just can't have both in there. I shudder to think how badly we'd suffer if we were actually facing a top quality opponent in the playoffs instead of les Habs. Those 2 are good for 4 or 5 bad plays per game. I wish Juice was healthy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 17, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I bet that "4th line" is going to be the 3rd, at least TOI-wise; and we will see a lot of it against Spacek. Chimmer and Brads are the two best forechecking wingers we have. And Flash and Fehr will probably see their time cut to around 10 minutes or so.

Also... if the first period is a struggle, I wouldn't be surprised to see Semin and Knuble swap. Risky move, but if they are to try it, home ice is the place for it.

As far as putting Walker in... unless Fehr shows something tonight, Walker would probably come in for him. Do not want to see Walker struggle on the off wing, where he'd end up if put in for Flash. And remember, Fehr's leash has always been shorter than Flash's ;-)

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1, Laing is a good thought for Montreal's tight style of play, though I doubt we'll see it soon. Walker maybe.

Posted by: Justafan | April 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I hope Corvo continues to play at the level he did Thursday night.

Posted by: Justafan | April 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

he did play at a higher level than he usually does. I doubt very much he can keep playing at that level. Smaller guys like that who also "play small" on most nights end up getting worn out easier when they have to raise their games the way he did. But even at the higher level that he played, I still didn't think it was that great. All any team has to do to draw a penalty or an extended scoring chance is to dump the puck on his side and cycle it along the boards.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree.

Posted by: Justafan | April 17, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Great time to be "tinkering" with the lines BRUCE...

This is what the last 10 games were for.

I am not saying the lines can't change, but NOW, putting Belanger on the 4th line and Steckel on the 3rd to see if it works...

Wonderful.

I really don't care who plays where, I just want to see results!

Let's go boys! Make it happen!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 17, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Let's go "UNDER" Three-O...

because if this happens, we SHOULD be ok...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 17, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

BTW, 52 HITS last night by the Penguins to win a hard-fought game v Ottawa.

Thats what you call paying the price to battle back after a game 1 loss. That's some serious work ethic and commitment to send a message to your opponent that they're in for a long tough series.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 17, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I hope Corvo continues to play at the level he did Thursday night.

Posted by: Justafan | April 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't disagree with you. heck, it's odd to sing the guy's praises at all, but folks seem to have too much of a knew jerk reaction to the guy, when he's due praise for making it happen.

And if smaller guys can't keep it up for a long series that bodes well for the Caps overall.

Posted by: Justafan | April 17, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Just scratch Flash. He's been useless for the past month.

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 17, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Still no Walker... makes no sense whatsoever. Flash better do something tonight to justify being in the lineup.

Posted by: chombie13 | April 17, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised with Belanger down on the 4th after how good he was on the draws last game and with Steckel not looking too great last game in my opinion. Really surprised Walker isn't in there as well. They are still good lines but not what I expected.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 17, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

One thing I do like about the lines is that they are all very dangerous. Belanger, Chimera and Bradley is a good combo. And if B-Mo isn't playing great in the first period, switching him and Belanger would be pretty solid. I think B-Mo and Chimera play really well together and the same is true for Belanger with Laich and Semin.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 17, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Will Erskine suit up before next season?

Posted by: furious50 | April 17, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Erskine could play if they face a team with out much speed or if someone gets injured. He won't be back next year.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | April 17, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse