Caps Pound Flyers, 5-1

Two days after suffering their first setback of the preseason in Philadelphia, the Caps rebounded by blowing out the Flyers, 5-1, at Verizon Center to improve to 5-1-0.

Alex Ovechkin (shorthanded), Chris Clark (on the power play), Nicklas Backstrom, Tomas Fleischmann and Eric Fehr scored the Caps' goals. For Ovechkin, it was his fourth goal and second shorthanded tally of the exhibition season. Fleischmann also has four goals (three on the power play).

A few quick thoughts on tonight's tilt:

*Both of Ovechkin's shorties were assisted on by David Steckel. The reigning MVP took a game-high eight shots in 19:42 of ice time, 3:17 of which came shorthanded. Ovechkin's goal came on a wrister he fired through a Flyers' D-man's skates. Ovechkin also had a game-high four hits (tied with Donald Brashear).

It's still unclear whether Ovechkin will skate on the PK when the games count. But it's certainly something Coach Bruce Boudreau is considering at this point.

*Ovechkin set up Clark's goal with a deft pass to the captain, who was streaking into the Flyers' zone. J.S. Aubin stopped Clark's first shot, but the rebound kicked hard off the end boards and Clark scooped it up and stuffed it past the Philly goalie.

*Speaking of goalies, Jose Theodore didn't have a whole lot of work. But he was good when called upon, stopping 17 shots in 60 minutes. His best stop might have been a kick save on Mike Knuble, who was standing on the doorstep.

"These are the games that are really hard to stay focused," Theodore said, referring to the sporadic nature of his workload tonight. "But you still have come up with the big save."

For all of you goalie equipment nerds out there, he's still waiting for his replacement mask. If you remember, his custom Caps mask arrived last week but it didn't fit.

*Sergei Fedorov was universally praised for his play on defense. He logged 17:30 on the blue line, had two secondary assists and finished with a team-best plus-3 rating.

"He was pretty impressive back there," Flyers Coach John Stevens said. "He controls the game, makes the game look easy. He's never racing around, always makes the right play, never gets in trouble."

Boudreau said: "He made some great outlet passes. Never panicked. Made a couple of mistakes, but overall, from my aspect he passed. He can play there, for a guy who hasn't played there for a long time."

Boudreau said Fedorov might play there again Sunday against Boston. "I don't think he's going to forget how to play center," Boudreau joked.

Boudreau still hasn't decided how much, if any, Fedorov will play on defense in the regular season.

"He was way too excited," when told he would be playing on defense, Boudreau said. "'I love it' were his exact words. I said, 'Slow down here, ya know. You're my No. 2 center."

*Michael Nylander came in as the Caps' leading scorer (two goals, four assists) but was held off the scoresheet tonight.

*Fehr snapped his scoring slump with an impressive goal in the third period. He made a strong move out of the corner with the puck and stuffed it beneath Martin Biron. Fehr, one of the forwards battling for playing time, had been without a point in four previous exhibitions.

"I was glad to see it," Boudreau said. "He's a guy who plays on confidence so maybe that will help him a little bit."

*Chris Bourque continues to make a bid for a roster spot, notching three shots and a primary assist on Fleischmann's goal. But I still think he's going to be caught up in a numbers game. Remember he can be sent down without having to pass through waivers.

*I wrote a story on long shot prospect Jay Beagle for tomorrow's paper. If you watched the game, you know why. The feisty center has made stops in Alaska, Idaho and Hershey over the past two years, and I'm betting, he'll also make one in Washington before too long.

"I like that guy," Boudreau said. "He plays with a lot of energy. He's already becoming a little bit of a fan favorite. It's great when you have those options. For a few years, I don't know if we had those options here."

Beagle was sent back to Hershey after the game but could be recalled for Sunday's contest against the Bruins.

*In case you haven't been paying attention or are you're just jumping on the Caps' bandwagon, these two teams cannot stand one another. And that hatred was obvious tonight. There were a pair of fighting majors, two roughing penalties, two unsportsmanlikes, two misconducts, plenty of hard hits and lots of trash talk.

The most egregious foul came in the second period when Scott Hartnell cross checked Mike Green into the boards. It was dangerous play that could have resulted in a serious injury.

"I can't wait to see it," Boudreau said of the hit. "But it doesn't surprise me."

*Brashear squared off with Riley Cote in the second period. It looked like a draw to me, though Brashear ended up on top. In the third period, the two were assessed unsportsmanlike penalties for jawing at one another. They also were given misconducts, which effectively diffused the situation before it escalated.

*Former Capitals defenseman Steve Eminger (game-worst minus-4) got the 'Whoop, whoop, whoop" treatment from the Verizon Center faithful. Daniel Briere, meantime, was booed each time he touched the puck. Briere had the Flyers lone goal.

*The Caps are off tomorrow and so am I. I'll be back on Sunday for the preseason finale against the Bruins.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 3, 2008; 10:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup Vs. Philly
Next: Tonight's Lineup Vs. Boston

Comments

Excellent report ... thanks!

They booed Briere? I love it!

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 3, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

That was fun. I'd like to think I got the Briere booing started, plus it got my voice in shape for the DC United game tomorrow.

It seemed like Bourque was finding some passing rhythms with the scoring line, and held his own on the power play. If it's a numbers game, bite the bullet and send Boyd Gordon down, for what it's worth.

Anyway, more googles to troll.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 3, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that summary. I am pleased that Beagle played so well tonight.

Posted by: uncatim | October 3, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

How did I get the FIRST comment? Where's all the other Capitals fans?

Oh right. Coming home from the game. I'm jealous!

Since it's a home game, my only competition for first comment is probably UK Dave.

Oh wait, it's 4 a.m. over there ...

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 3, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm here, but didn't notice the new thread. Great game. Can't believe its a week til regular season! Seems like not that long ago we were complaining about how long the off-season was.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 3, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill

I stopped by your seat but nobody was home except for your friend, who seemed to find it pretty funny that some random guy came by asking if she was "the one they call... Jill". I was just trying to get my contact info to the regulars without posting it here on at the Post. :)

@ All

Heck of a game tonight! Cheer extra loud to make up for me not being there Sunday. I will definitely be back in 413 O for opening night!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 3, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I can't WAIT for the new season!

Quick story: So I've moved since last season into a better apartment ... and the owners provide regular cable as part of the rent ... but I've had Dish Network the last couple years so I can watch my Capitals play.

So now I was stuck, and I was considering getting CI Online until ... a couple weeks ago, I was at friends' house (who have Direct TV), and the wife says to me, "You know, I enjoyed watching hockey last year [on Versus] and was thinking about maybe getting the Center Ice package this year."

And I replied, "If I can come over and watch the Capitals games, I'll pay for it."

Deal.

So now I'll get to watch hockey games ... on a 50-inch hi-def flat-screen! Go Capitals!

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 3, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Caps fan in TN:
We always boo Briere! :-) It started after the who Ovie incident a couple of years ago. I hate that guy ... and that's big coming from me - I usually don't say stuff like that. He just plays so dirty; I can't stand it.

Sombrero:
Were you wearing a Hunter t-shirt? If not, there was a Sombrero imposter! :-O

I thought Bourque and Beagle were great - they were really fun to watch! Alzner, however, did not live up to his reputation. And Jose, well, as much as I want to love him, I'm not there yet. He didn't have to work that hard, he was out of position a lot and gave up a lot of juicy rebounds. Frankly, he is lucky that the score was not higher. Hopefully he'll have a big game Sunday. LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | October 3, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Boo!:

Yeah, that was mock surprise about the Briere booing ... ya'll better jeer him! He's a gutless little punk. Good to hear the Capitals fans haven't forgotten.

Jose's going to have those nights where he's spectacular ... and those nights where he gives up four goals and gets yanked in the first period.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 3, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

TN:
He is a punk ... I don't care who he plays for, he will always be on the naughty list. Congrats about your Center Ice deal - that's pretty cool! :-) Question is, are you going to become the thing that wouldn't leave?!? ;-) I suppose that happens when you start using their computer to post here during the game ... ha! So when are you coming to the VC for a game?

Posted by: Boo! | October 3, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is Brashear definitely won the fight with Riley Cote. And will those who weren't expecting THAT fight please stand up? Anybody? Nobody? Yep. We're all probably sitting down, and I think we can safely say that Grant McNeill has been avenged.

Go Brashear! :) :) :)

Posted by: I Rock the Red! | October 3, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful Game tonight!

I'd been putting off the purchase of a new sweater for a while now. In the meanwhile, rocking old #12.

Tonight, I finally decided on good ol' Capt. Clark. It was late in the intermission when my turn at checkout came, so had to run back up to the 400's to get to my seat. Not 30 seconds after butt hit vinyl, Clarkie scored!

It seems I made the right decision!

Posted by: diggler | October 3, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I've been friends with this couple for awhile and they're cool with my hockey fanaticism ... the late West Coast games might be a bit tricky, but footing the bill for CI provides me some leverage (if I need it).

Since my family lives in Maryland, my brother and I made it to the VC for two games last year ... the 5-2 Carolina win (BB's first home game) and the 3-2 Toronto loss. I also saw the Capitals play in Buffalo (pre-BB, a 7-3 beating) and in Atlanta (pre-BB, a 2-1 OTL).

Anyway, I hope to make it up there for a game or two ... and I'm considering going to Raleigh for a roadie in December.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 3, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

TN:
Just show up for the western games in your pajamas ... that should get their attention! ;-) Let me know if you need help getting tickets in DC. I might hit a game in NC this season, too, but not until next year. For some reason I am looking forward to wearing my jersey there! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 4, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@GregAnnapolis - I was just coming by to ask who the hell was looking for me -- I didn't think I had revealed my seat location here so I was a little creeped out...

Great game! (After a boring first 10 minutes). How awesome seeing the Flyers get the pasting they deserve. Love to hate Briere.

Brash sauntered through the Turtle around 10:30-ish and was greeted like quite the celebrity. Given that he hit the showers early I was wondering what took him so long to get there. :-D

Posted by: Jill | October 4, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

So was practice for tommmorrow canceled? The website says there is practice tomorrow at 10:30?

Posted by: Anthony | October 4, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Lots of love for Beagle in Sec. 109 tonight. We've start to "Woof" whenever he does something noteworthy, and will be calling ourselves The Dog Pound when he's with the big club.

Posted by: Gumpper | October 4, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

@Jill - No need to be creeped out; I'm largely harmless. :P You didn't directly reveal it, but if I tell you on here then everyone else will go and look...

Why not... send an email to ylruk at ylruk dot net. Hint: Those words might be reversed... and yes, it's the same word before and after the at.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 4, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Gumpper:
That's funny! :-) Do you think people call him Snoopy?

Love the OFB pic of the Caps at Six Flags! :-) (http://www.onfrozenblog.com/) Anyone know who the chick is?

Posted by: Boo! | October 4, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

do you think they'll archive the preseason broadcasts at any point? i had to work late and missed this one

Posted by: mike d | October 4, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Greg - Sorry, you lost me. No idea what this is all about or why you were looking for me.

Posted by: Jill | October 4, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Jill - sorry, didn't mean to be so cryptic. I was just trying to connect with the regulars here on the blog without giving away my contact info on the net; that's all. Which of course I then just went ahead and did anyway. Send me an email if you'd like -- I pretty much posted it above -- otherwise I absolutely apologize... I really didn't think I was going to cause a problem, but I understand now. :\

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 4, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Briere is a smarmy little man that likes to start fights and then silently slip away. I can't stand him.
Bourque was impressive again, but perhaps not as impressive as Feds on playing D.
Maybe we can send down Slow-foot Erskine and let Feds keep playing D. Didn't seem like the team missed Erskine at all. Everytime I see him skate I hear the bionic noise/music from the old Bionic man show. Man that guy is slow!
I wouldnt worry too much about Theodore, he didnt really see that many shots and those are sometimes the toughest games to stay sharp in. I think Boston will give him a bit more work on Sunday.
I think my Calendar is slow.. is it the 10th yet?

Posted by: OustedSoul | October 4, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Great game for the Caps tonight.. If Fehr goes to the net like that he can score a bunch of goals.

And in Wilkes-Barre, Hershey beat the baby Penguins, with Osala getting his first (pre-season) goal as a Bear.

Hershey is expected to make its final cuts tomorrow; should be interesting to see who is in the lineup Saturday night at Giant Center.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 4, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Great game, would love to see OV's last shift again... runaway train.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so who raised the cup first ?

What an electric event, I mean wow !!

Posted by: Wow | October 4, 2008 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Haha Eminger.

If he plays like this all year GMGM will look brilliant yet again for not keeping this worthless bum.

Posted by: Trooper OCheez | October 4, 2008 3:23 AM | Report abuse

OustedSoul:
If you figure out how to fix your calendar, please let me know - mine's broken, too ... :-(

Posted by: Boo! | October 4, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Boo!,
Pretty sure its Jose's wife. Someone mentioned seeing her at KCI with their little girl.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 4, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@Boo: I've taken to calling him "Beagley-Beagley" -- which, of course, would make Brashear "Grape-Ape"... *ducks!*

Posted by: I Rock the Red | October 4, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

On Ovie's goal...The Flyers D man that he schooled was Eminger. Ovie crossed the blue line and faked a shot, which caused Eminger to straighten up a bit. Ovie took one more stide and fired the puck between Eminger's feet as he tried to recover.

Posted by: Griz | October 4, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gumpper | October 4, 2008 12:06 AM
----------------------------------
Last year in Hershey there was a section in the upper deck that called themselves Beagle's Dog Pound, had banners posted, etc. Beagle said he saw and heard them and he loved it.

Posted by: tess | October 4, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Ovi made Emminger look silly on his goal.

Posted by: Ovi Wan Kenobi | October 4, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

The lady on the roller coaster is Ted's daughter.

Posted by: Insider | October 4, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

last nights game was my first chance to see theodore in net. he looked real sharp but wasnt really tested. my concern is his stickhandling. he turns his glove and uses it low on the stick vs. high. it looks very odd and very bad to me. am i the only one? has he always done this and is he known as a poor puck handler?

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 4, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Where's the love for Eminger??? hahaha -4 and screened Biron on OV's goal. That guy straight up sucks! If Eminger plays like that all season long (which he will) he'll be playing for the Phantoms before Thanksgiving. And the Caps got a first rounder for him -- awesome trade. I'm so happy that the Caps blasted the Flyers!

Posted by: JIM | October 4, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

On another note, if Flash can continue his preseason play into the regular season, the Caps have just added another 20+ goal scorer. I was really glad to see Fehr score. With all their weapons, the Caps will be able to score from all three top lines so other teams cannot try to simply pair up against the top line or two. Sweet! I can't wait to rock the red next saturday night! Yes, I've had too much coffee this morning!!!

Posted by: JIM | October 4, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Hate to be a wet blanket, but while it was a solid effort by the Caps, you may want to mention that it was the Phantoms+ or Flyers-lite that they played. Looking at the lineups, they put a lot of their kids on the ice against a real NHL team.

Credit to the Caps though for not playing down to the competition, and solidly putting the game away.

Posted by: Kim | October 4, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Great game. The Nylander,Clark, Flash line should end up being awesome. Each have had great games in preseason, sometimes together, and sometimes not,but once they get really used to each other...watch out! They will give Ovy, Backs and whoever a run for trheri money...

Posted by: RockingtheRed | October 4, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Kim, it was pretty close to the reverse of Wednesday's game. The Caps played a very veteran-lite team and lost 2-1. Tonight the Flyers sat some of their vets and got crushed 5-1. We know both of these teams should be good this season. For one night it felt great to dominate them. One more preseason game and then it's time for the real ones!

Posted by: Jeff | October 4, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: for Feds | October 4, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Can someone explain the "whoop, whoop, whoop" treatment. I've noticed that Gonchar gets it at home in Pittsburgh.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@anon

According to Burnside:
"It is a tradition among Caps fans dating back to when Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Murphy ran afoul of the hometown fans after leaving the team following the 1989 season. Whenever Murphy, who played six seasons for the Caps, returned to Washington, fans would greet him with the same derisive chorus. Now it's Gonchar, a Capital for parts of 10 seasons, who gets the "Whoop, Whoop, Whoop" treatment. What is a "Whoop, Whoop, Whoop?" Apparently, it's a turkey call popular in the D.C. area."

Posted by: Fro | October 4, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Burnside didn't do his homework. We did it before Murphy left town - and same with Gonchar. It was a three stooges thing, from what I've always been told, since he'd lose the puck to some bonehead move (Murphy and Gonchar) and so we'd whoop like they did.
I didn't think we'd actually do it to Eminger, but I never much cared for the kid, so no real hard feelings on it for me.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | October 4, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Caps showed some good skating last night and a couple pretty goals. I was wondering if they were playing Philly's B-team because it didn't look like the defense had to work much. I'd love to think the D is just that good this year, but...well...we shall see.

I like Flash more and more. Theodore didn't get much of a test, so jury's still out there, but I thought he looked pretty solid when he needed to. None of those early rebounds were dangerous.

Posted by: Muff | October 4, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

that was indeed me in the Hunter t shirt.

Great game, all around. As for seeing more of Ovechkin on the PK, I would have no problem with him getting a shift or two each game. If we are able to run 3 scoring lines, there should be less pressure on OV in 5v5 situations so his even strength minutes might got down a bit, allowing for some PK time.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 4, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

i dont think it's much of a discouragement for brash 2 fight one of their tough guys.. he/ someone should fight the offender of a cheap shot

Posted by: jim* | October 4, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

enjoy the day off Tarik! Beagle seems like he could be what Laing was for us last year, just a sand paper guy who can mix things up and is always in the play. glad to see he got 3rd star yesterday.

www.feartheweagle.blogspot.com

check out my article on Alzner and Bourque, don't be afraid to comment.

Posted by: TJ CAPS8 | October 4, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Poor Danny boy, with Jagr off to the K league, he's left standing all alone at the top of the Caps Fan Villan list! He did earn it with a couple cheap shots on number 8. The only other one that's close is Crosby, but he's not really a 'bad guy' just strong competition. Who am I missing? What other individual players are there that we have a special grudge for?

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 4, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

And next time you see me, be sure and say hi!

Posted by: SOmbrero Guy | October 4, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero:
Will do. I saw you from a distance and from behind, so I was not sure it was you. But next time I will head your way! :-)

I'm diggin' all the Beagle love! I will be curious to see if we see more of him.

While a lot of folks seem to feel that JT is TBD, I am a bit surprised that there has also been a lot of JT love. From what I have seen/heard of the pre-season, it seems like BJ is actually playing better. I hate to say it, and I could be wrong since I have not "seen" much, but that's sure what it sounds like. Is that wrong? Regardless, I hope JT pulls out a big game tomorrow - that would make me a believer!

Posted by: Boo! | October 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Kim,

a loaded flyers lineup against a watered down caps lineup was only able to squeeze by 2-1 on wednesday. on the other hand, a strong caps lineup against a flyers lineup that wasnt missing much more than jeff carter and joffrey lupul when compared to wednesdays lineup, was crushed 5-1 and thoroughly outplayed.

Posted by: its ok to get excited | October 4, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I hate to put a damper on things, but feel compelled to point out, that as much as I like Johnny and I do like him a lot, he had a number of chances to take over the team and failed to do so. Just because he said he was going to come in this year and compete, means little. There were times when he played multiple games while Olie was out. Those were the times when he needed to string together big wins. A couple of shut outs and a stolen game go a long way towards proving it should be your net, not the other guys. It is the way Olie got the job. I'd love to see someone step up and claim the net for the Caps! I have little faith in annointing starting goalies.

Posted by: Bob | October 4, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Well when I am wrong...I am wrong...I got my first look at the kid Alzner and he looks to be the real deal. He poke checked Briere and Gagner countless times. There is really only a couple of instances where I could tell he is a rookie. He still needs to work on being more physical in front of the net and instead of throwing the puck off the glass, look for an open player. Overall, he looks like a NHLer.

So there......

Also JT looked great I thought. He made some really hard saves look easy. I was impressed by him also. Hopefully he will have another strong game tomorrow to put everyone's mind at ease.

Posted by: 94 | October 4, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

great game last nite! As i was chillin in the luxury box, i happened to look over, and who's in the suite next to us?...Semin (with GF), Kozlov, Bradley, Pothier, Juice, and Erskine! I didn't say anything, but a couple of kids got their hats signed. Pretty cool.

Posted by: fullright | October 4, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody else catch Boudreau's line in the postgame interview about 'a couple of guys' that make him want to see Fedorov on D more?

Juiskine better watch out..

Posted by: Jordan | October 4, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

TBL lost and only scored one goal, ha! Great start Barry! Great start to their vaunted offense -- one goal!

Posted by: JIM | October 4, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Rog, gotta agree on Alzner. The kid looked good. Now the question is how (who) do we dump salary to keep him in the bigs.

Posted by: Steve R | October 4, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who cares...
Early in the 3rd period, Hershey whipping the baby Pens 8-0, hat trick by Godfrey...

www.sportsjuice.com for the audio link

Posted by: tess | October 4, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who feels better with Bourque out that than with Semin or Fleischmann?

Posted by: Chris | October 4, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

This frankly suprises me!

The Bears reassigned four players to South Carolina (ECHL) today: Tom Maxwell, Viktor Dovgan, Sasha Pokulok, Travis Morin.

Not Maxwell or Morin

Posted by: Bob | October 4, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Chris -- no, you are kidding right? I know that Flash is not that popular on the blog -- but Semin?

Posted by: JIM | October 4, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh! Just caught the very end of the Bears game. They won 8-2 with SIX powerplay goals. SIX! Machesney was in goal. The Pens had more shots than the Bears did. Here's the scoring according to the post-game wrapup.

Gordon from Giroux, Helmer
P. McNeill from Bouchard, Perreault
Giroux from Aucoin, Mink
Giroux from Aucoin, Helmer
Godfrey from Aucoin, Giroux
Godfrey from Gordon, Wilson
Dubuc from Gordon, McNeill
Godfrey from Perreault, Osala

Posted by: Jordan | October 4, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

@Jordan:
It looks like it might be a very fun year in Chocolatetown!

Posted by: tess | October 4, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Semin got a GF????????? Since when?

Posted by: Dave King | October 4, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Tess,

You bet! I'm REALLY excited for the Bears game next weekend now! Here's hoping they blow out Norfolk just as severely.

Posted by: Jordan | October 4, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

About the "whooping" - true, it did start with Murphy when he was STILL a Cap. That bothered me to no end. Booing the team is one thing (personally, I have never booed the Caps, EVER) but singling out an individual on your OWN team to harass just never made any sense to me. I don't care how bad the player is, save your hate for the visiting team. Kevin Hatcher got the whoop treatment too - while still a Cap. As for visitors, I think Bobby C. got whooped as an ex-Cap... There must have been others...

Posted by: CAP-lanta | October 4, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

dont wanna jump to any conclusions to early but i might smell cup #10 coming our way. it just feels like one of those years.

Posted by: ben b. | October 4, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Impressive win for Hershey.. They're absolutely loaded up front, on D and in goal.

Pokulok did get sent down; at some point there should be some clarification from GM about whether this guy has a future or whether he's done.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 4, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Bob:
I don't think you are putting a damper on things - I have not heard anyone say that they think BJ is going to be our #1 guy (myself included). I just asked the question (since I have not been able to actually see much of the preseason) is he playing better that JT? From what I've "heard" to date it sounds like he might be. Folks have talked about his monster saves and I believe that his preseason stats are better ... no? Don't get me wrong - I've never been a big fan of Johnny and my expectation is that JT will be better; it just does not sound like that is what has happened to date. Fluke? Maybe. Or maybe Jose just has not seen enough action yet. Regardless, it is something to think about. Besides, this is the first time that BJ has really even had a shot at the #1 spot with the Caps. It does not matter how realistic that really is - all that matters is how realistic he thinks it is. Based on his words and actions, he is probably more motivated now than he ever has been in DC. Stranger things have happened ...

94:
I couldn't disagree with you more ... so there! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 4, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Remember Kolzig was #2 and the absolute backup to Ranford when Bill got hurt. Olie got in the net and never looked back - goodbye Ranford! Traditionally that is the way goalies have become #1 in the NHL, these days it seems popular to just declare them as the starter without proof that they can actually win.

Posted by: Bob | October 5, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Bob:
Agreed - that's why I have not declared JT #1 yet! :-) Not that my opinion matters, but I'll believe when I see it (from either of them).

Posted by: Boo! | October 5, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Man I am surprised Dovgan is not sticking with Hershey. I liked what I saw from him.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 5, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Hershey beat the Babu pens 8-2 tonight

Posted by: Dan L | October 5, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

baby

Posted by: Dan L | October 5, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Preseason means about as much as a Briere handshake... not much! :)
If you take the preseason too seriously you might want to bet the farm on the Nucks winning the Cup, but I wouldnt advise it LOL.

I wouldnt read anything, good or bad, that BJ's stats are better than Jose's.. too many factors play into that in the preseason like if they were playing a B team, or using a B team themselves.

I would even go so far as to stand up for Emminger. He has had a mostly strong preseason and coming back to the Booth to play as the opponent must have flustered him. I bet we havent seen the last of him and that he won't be so bad next time.

Posted by: OustedSoul | October 5, 2008 2:33 AM | Report abuse

The reason the whoop whoop started with Murphy was as follows. It was a sound to warn the goalie that Murphy had the puck. Think siren from an ambulance coming. It then carried over when he was traded to the North Star. Frankly it was a bad trade in hindsight trading away a guy that went on to win 4 Cups.

Posted by: Rich C | October 5, 2008 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 5, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

A little on the Bears game. Josh godfrey had hat trick, Oskar Osala has played very strong and showed a lot after beeding on the ice from a fight where the penguin player kept hitting him while he was already down.(was not bleeding until he was hit while down and still came back and played great) bears went with a first line of Aucoin, Giroux, Mink it was a killer line for the AHL. Giroux 4 point night, andrew Gordon 3 point night, Aucoin 3 point night. Alot of the penalties where beacuse of the speed of the bears and the hustle of the bears.the Bears where also able to kill off both of there own 5-3.

Dovgan and Sasha getting sent down I believe where just caught in the numbers game. Mike Vogel said it in a caps report a few weeks ago that there would be a lot of talent going down because of numbers.

also http://johnwaltonhockey.blogspot.com/ all bears games are now archived so if you want to hear any Walton gives the link on his blog.

Posted by: Chad | October 5, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Any news on our lineup for today?

Posted by: Steve R | October 5, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse