Caps pull one out of their hat in 6-5 OT win

Nicklas Backstrom completed a hat trick 31 seconds into overtime to give the Caps a crucial Game 2 victory over the Habs before the series heads to Montreal. Read more in Tarik's gamer.

Much more to come soon, but in the meantime, check out some photos of the scene at Verizon Center tonight.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 17, 2010; 10:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals behind, 4-2, after two periods
Next: John Carlson helps save the day

Comments

WE NEED AN IN GAME CHAT......

just sayin...

Posted by: TimDz | April 17, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

agreed with TimDZ.....wussup with no chats? last seasons playoffs were awesome with it. we NEED a chat.
Tarik, Geno....help us out

Posted by: kman2 | April 17, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Lindsay!

(And TimDz, I agree about the in-game chat.)

Posted by: wocoliz | April 17, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I love Backstrom.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

(Reposted from the previous blog entry)

We got inside of Halak's head (and crease) tonight. When it counted, our best players played like our best players.

We outhit them. We outshot them. We outdueled them. And, finally, we outscored them.

Am I happy about our pedestrian defense and shaky goal-tending tonight? No.

Am I stirred by the heart of this team? Hell yeah. The Caps have shown that no matter the circumstances, they have the skill, the speed and the gonads to get the job done.

This is turning point. It's a new series now. The Caps might just be ready to take this series over. Let's see what transpires Monday night!

Posted by: Terptwin | April 17, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I would agree about an in game chat except that today's chat would have sounded like the end of a cult meeting where people are all racing to drink the we are done kool-aid first. I think I was the only one on here saying this wasn't over.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 17, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the in-game chat would've turned into some sort of 12 step meeting. At any rate, I also motion for the return of the Coveritlive game chat!

Posted by: Terptwin | April 17, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

ice, I don't remember making any negative comments, but I certainly apologize if I did. We've all seen this team come back too many times in apparently hopeless situations to give up early.

Posted by: wocoliz | April 17, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 17, 2010 11:05 PM

that's funny
i may have posted 'never give up' a half a dozen times
and don't forget kyle_woodruff & Satchelass for hanging in as well

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 17, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I avoid CI during playoff games..for numerous reasons.

Time to take it to the Habs in Montreal.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

so, anybody gonna talk about the blatant reffing bias tonight? goalie interference all night long, pushing the net out to prevent goals, the refs let the Caps get away with murder tonight

Posted by: SC87 | April 17, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

i think i'll go over to tsn and see how bad the habs fans are about mtl

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 17, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

In case anybody's interested, Steinberg has posted video of the Poti-Gomez fight over at the Bog.

Posted by: wocoliz | April 17, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a game. I couldn't bear to watch the 1st game's OT, but this time I did, and we won. So I'll never not watch the OT again. :)

An in-game chat probably would've just had 100 fair-weather fans screaming for everyone to be fired at 4-1, and then everyone saying they "knew it all along" when Backy won the game. :D

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 17, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | April 17, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

At first I thought this was written by a Caps fan taking a shot at Crysby. The fact that it's actually some loser Pens fan is just priceless.

Posted by: CPortisRun | April 17, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

at SC87...go worship ur pens...no one cares about u here...

Posted by: masterx | April 17, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Barry Melrose just made the following comments regarding the game:

1. John Carlson may be the saving grace of Washington's defense right now.
2. Mike Green displayed tonight the very reason that he was not selected to the Olympic team. Quote from Barry "He is dangerous on both ends of the ice...and that is not good"
3. If the Caps continue to play like they did in this game, which is how they played all season, that is - for 20 minutes only, they have no chance to advance in the playoffs.
4. The Caps didn't deserve this game.
5. Varly will start in Montreal.

I agree with everything but the Mike Green comments. And strongly agree with the fact that The Caps NEED to start playing for 60 minutes.

Posted by: eyechip | April 17, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Great comeback! Although I must admit the boys had me worried for a while.

They were outhitting Montreal all game. I would not be surprised if that comeback will get inside Halak's head.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 17, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I know what you mean, Phil, on not posting. I know I'm terrible at venting my frustration here (and on other boards). Probably a good thing I was off at the game (and not here to post anything).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 17, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green had numerous turnovers this game, though I appreciate when he gets physical.

Him and Semin need to learn to simplify their games on some plays.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Green should have gotten physical on the last goal they scored, he tried to play the puck instead...

if he's not gonna get physical against those midgets, what's he gonna be like in the later rounds?

I say take him off the PP right now and put Carlson instead... he's not getting any PP time till he actually starts playing some D.

Posted by: joek443 | April 17, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

heh heh push the net out before the puck gets in - good move!

Wouldn't this have to rank up there somewhere in great victories in Caps history - not in terms of execution or technique, but sheer drama? There was one turn and extreme of emotion to the other.

Posted by: Satchelass | April 17, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

In game chat? Yeah, I'm pretty sure the people at the Post would love to spend their time approving comments rather then watching the game.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | April 17, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Melrose, how did the Caps NOT deserve this game? How about any team that gives up a 4-1 edge LATE in the 2nd deserves to LOSE? How about that?

Posted by: CAP-lanta | April 18, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Call me out when the Caps win the series because I see several more games like the first two.

People forget how horribly we've played for the majority of the first 2 games because we mounted an unlikely comeback to avoid going down 0-2 to the 8th seed.

We're going to need to do more than just pick up our emotional level to win this series. We're going to need to play smarter and that starts with coaching adjustments. We need the emotion and the sense of urgency, too, but that's not enough and it can't only start when our backs are against the wall.

Montreal is playing an infinitely smarter game which is why they've scored as many goals as us despite getting outshot decisively and it's why they are threatening to steal this series despite having a theoretical disadvantage in talent.

They know they can't out run-n-gun us so they're frustrating us defensively in the neutral and offensive zones and are countering off of our players' repeated bad decisions and our coaching staff's apparent lack of adjustments.

When we do manage to get the puck through the neutral zone, it's too many weak one-and-done plays with Montreal often turning those short-lived possessions into their own offense.

Montreal is also taking away passing targets in the neutral zone and our coaches don't seem to be getting that through to the forwards. Guys like Schultz are being forced to ice pucks and make bad passes because our fowards aren't coming back and giving them targets.

When we do manage to get through the neutral zone, they are converging on puck carriers and our skill guys don't seem to be willing to dump and chase. Instead, they are stubbornly and repeatedly forcing bad shots that are getting blocked or they're carrying the puck into multiple defenders and Montreal is taking away the puck or the body. They aren't hitting a lot but they are using their sticks and bodies extremely effectively in the defensive end.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 18, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

And don't forget it's the Flyers who invented the "push the net so the goal doesn't count" move - they still do that all the time.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | April 18, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Why aren't are skill guys willing to dump the puck in and put some work in along the boards?

Get behind the defense. Stop trying to go through them. It's not working. They're taking that away.

Why do we keep doing stuff that isn't working? A lack of adjustments by the coaching staff?

I'm not sure of it but it certainly appears that one of Montreal's strategies is to counter off of our mistakes and frustration in the neutral and offensive zones. They see us continuing to try to force things and lose possession and they know that a lot of our forwards don't backcheck consistently, especially when they are frustrated, so they are catching us in transition with numbers. It's helped keep them in two games so why should they change a thing? They were very close to taking both games.

Boudreau either hasn't told our forwards to stop trying to make fancy plays and force things or he's told them but has convinced them. One way or the other, the lack of adjustments has to be partially on him.

The bottom line is that if that Montreal is creating offense of our bad offense combined with our defensive breakdowns.

They are doing the little things better than us in all 3 zones. They aren't taking as many shots as us but they probably don't want to take as many wild shots as we've been taking up to this point. They know that those kinds of shots will lead to us going the other way - kind of like they're doing to us.

The lack of attention to detail in all three zones and the lack of adjustments to what Montreal is doing defensively is going to kill us. I blame both of those things at least in some way on our coaching staff. I also credit Montreal's coaching staff for doing the little things better and putting together a solid gameplan for their 8th seeded team.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 18, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Mike Green was responsible for almost all of the Habs goals. Its hard for me to watch a guy play so poorly game after game in the playoffs. When are they going to cut his ice time?

Posted by: jrednoring | April 18, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao: really, really good analysis of last night's games. thank you.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 18, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse