Caps pursued Anaheim's Chris Pronger

GM George McPhee said he inquired about trading for Anaheim defenseman Chris Pronger, the crown jewel of the deadline day (who didn't end up changing teams). But the talks didn't get far because a) the Ducks weren't all that interested in trading Pronger and b) the asking price likely was too steep.

"For us to do anything, it had to be an upgrade on what we had, and based on what was out there, there were not a lot of upgrades we saw that we could do," McPhee said. "Guys like Pronger and [Florida's Jay] Bouwmeester, but the price to get into that game wasn't something we were willing to pay. We had some discussions with Anaheim and it wouldn't make sense to go after Bouwmeester and have the guy be a free agent."

"We had talked to Anaheim a little bit," he added. "But we got the sense that they probably were not going to trade [Pronger] and if they did, it was going to cost us prospects [Karl] Alzner, [Simeon] Valarmov and [John} Carlson, all these young kids that we've accumulated and that didn't make any sense."

McPhee also acknowledged inquiring about Phoenix's Derek Morris. But with Alzner in the system and Brian Pothier hoping to return from a 14 month layoff with a concussion, the Caps did not pursue him that seriously.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 4, 2009; 4:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pothier, Kronwall Assigned to Hershey (Updated)
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Wow...that would have been a big hit to send all those guys. I would consider it if it was just Varlamov and Carlson.

Posted by: redskins2448 | March 4, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Having either of those two dmen would've been nice, but I wouldn't give up Alzner, Varlamov, and Carlson either. In that case, GM did good.

Posted by: SarahM28 | March 4, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -

Did he say anything about Nylander?

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope Pothier can contribute and won't end up disabled in the process.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | March 4, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me but this means he did NOT pursue him. Otherwise he'd know exactly what the price would be. And what about negotiations.

Ok Ok. Where's my chill pill? :D

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Good move GMGM, don't give our future Caps up...neither of the 2 would have been worth it. But, you really could have tried to give Nylander away...PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: NatyBG | March 4, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm sad, obviously, but I trust GMGM a lot with the decisions he makes.

That makes me feel better. Nothing is worth giving up our prized prospects.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Definitely a seller's market - that was way too steep for Pronger.

Posted by: m4ilm4n | March 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@patrone

Drop the Nylander thing. He is here and on the team for the playoff push and that is all that matters. Will he be here next season, I'd say probably not via a buyout or a trade. But he's here now and can help us get to where we need to get to whether you believe it or not.

Posted by: ThePat | March 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't have give up all three of them, that's crazy. But one of them, I would have consider it.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I must say I'm very relieved to hear that. I know it sounds dramatic, but I truly think Pronger is the missing part of our team, but trading our ridiculously bright future for a one or two year shot isn't even kinda worth it to me, and luckily not to GMGM either. It's painfully obvious from your previous post that they tried to trade Nylander but found no takers which isn't exactly surprising.

Posted by: dcfury | March 4, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@patrone

he isnt going to say anything about trading nylander because that would just hurt his confidence even more....see jay cutler story

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Good decisions. Go Caps!

Posted by: crazycarl16 | March 4, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Opita, I'm beginning to agree with you lol

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

what about Leopold, Kuba, Erik Cole, Satan, Recchi, Antropov, Guerin?

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to have McPhee's job security. Fail for over a decade and still keep his job!

Posted by: alanb1 | March 4, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

mauree

No, he is worth all of that.

Those kids are not proven, Pronger is. We don't know if Varly will pan out. Alzner we're pretty sure of. Carlson looked pretty shaky to me. I could see Anaheim asking for that.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, what about the relationship between Nyls and BB, can it be repaired? What about Nyls on the PK? We're in the bottom 5 of the league so it can't get much worse.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 4, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Those are 3 first round picks for a guy that may play 1 or 2 more years in the league or just for this one year for a run at the cup... how is that worth it?
What if he got injured during the Pens game? We don't know that... so, would it be worth it then?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Now that the trade deadline has passed can we still pick up a player off waivers? Like Roberts?

Posted by: sammie21 | March 4, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Greg S. what are you smoking? And where did Carlson look shaky to you? He's playing great in juniors and is one of the top prospects in the league.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 4, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Really Greg? Wait, are you saying you would have gone with sending all three of them? Or that you could just see Anaheim asking? Carlson sounds solid as a rock this season. Alzner seems solid, and Varly, I'm worried about as far as injuries, but he seems like he could be great in the future. I'm not sure I would be okay with sending any of them unless Pronger came with a guarantee from Toronto that we'd have the Cup in DC by summer.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

sammie21,
We would have to get ride of someone. Cannot have 51 guys on a contract on the roster.
So, no, we can not pick up Roberts.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Um...Pothier has not been an answer to anything good since we got him and how is he supposed to be the answer now when he is coming back from a potentially career ending injury? Who does he think he is kidding?

Posted by: Krazijoe | March 4, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

the flu might have damaged my sarcasm detector :p are you serious?

Well Pronger has 3-4 years still in him. And he's a game changer. But give up all 3 of them... even I would be reluctant. Especially Varly.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Pronger is a thug on the down side of his career. If the Ducks wanted ONE of those guys, maybe (MAYBE.) But all three? No way.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Canes acquire O'Sullivan, then trade him to Oilers for Cole.

Posted by: 1Harbour | March 4, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Good thing Vinny Cerrato isn't the Caps GM otherwise he would have traded Alzer, Varlamov, Carlson, and thrown in Ovechkin and a 2nd round pick to seal the deal.

Posted by: eric22 | March 4, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a bad move was picking up Kronwall off from waivers. Before him, we had 49 contract players... maybe then, we could have dished out some of our draft picks instead of trying to trade a player.

Oh boy... I just pished on the fire!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Why do we care about hurting Nylander's confidence? He's been a healthy scratch the past 4 games. He isn't playing. Hopefully he won't be playing.

I'm pissed about Nylander because he seriously hinders our ability to field an effective defensive unit. If we had his cap space avaiable in the off season we could make a serious offer to at least 1 or 2 solid S@H defensemen.

I honestly think the rebuild is done. I'd put this team toe to toe with any team in the league for offensive capabilities. I'd put us in the middle of the league for goaltending. I'd put us at the bottom of the league defensively.

If we upgrade our defensive core in the off season we will be a contender for the cup for the next 3-5 years. Waiting for defensive players in Hershey to *possibly* mature to an NHL level just jeoprodizes our offensive unit. In the era of the salary cap you don't have 10 years to win a cup - you have 3-5 on the generous side. This is our first year of that window - I don't want to waste any more of that time dealing with Nylander. He will never fit in to our system. He is a great player - he just doesn't fit.

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to have alanb's intellect. Call putting together every piece of the fastest to 40 wins in franchise history and likely back to back division titles "failure".

The Pronger talk begged another response. I'm glad he made inquiries. I'm glad he didn't trade all that. There is too much value there to trade away, whether completely proven or not. If fans really expect us to go from having to make an incredible run to sneak into the playoffs as (essentially) the 8th place team last year only to turn around and win the Cup the following season you're crazy.

Our first batch of young guys is coming into their down, we have more studs down on the farm that will make the jump after this season. Progression. It will be there.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Haha, by the way Burke is talking, he would have taken Nyls.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall is gone. I think if we sent him to Hershey, we have to offer him back to Toronto first.

Posted by: Krazijoe | March 4, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

patrone,
I would say next year is the first year for the window... this year was an unexpected surprise. Enjoy it!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@_828
If we really wanted to get under 50 contracts it wouldn't have been a problem. There are several players with minor league contracts in the last year of their contracts that we could have gotten rid of if we had too. That was never really a problem.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 4, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

jmu

no way!

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall is still a contracted player by the Capitals Organization. He makes 50 - the max number.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@alanb1

You're an idiot

Posted by: RITdude | March 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

_828, I think Kronwall was actually a good pick-up if you go with the story that he was a Hershey replacement for Alzner. Hershey needs solid dmen themselves for a Calder run. So they get him, we get Alzner. But then again, Hershey has 9 dmen without Alzner, so who knows?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Vegas,
I know it probably would not have been a problem, however, we picked up Kronwall pretty recently. Just an idea... I am not worried.

Would you all feel better if I gaurenteed you that the Caps will make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs? Cause, I can do that.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

mauree, I believe his words were close to: "We made it clear we had cap space and were willing to listen to anything that would have involved less than a first-rounder." Which I think, sadly, includes Luke Schenn. But he's on NHL Network talking to the guys. Maybe he's talking out his, ahem, but he sounded serious about it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

jmu

if that's true, one chill pill doesn't cut it anymore. I need a whole bottle now!

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Taking out his what?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

taLking out.
his ahem.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, you should post a warning label on your blog on deadline day. You can become seriously dumber reading these posts!

Posted by: majiksea | March 4, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm NOT saying I'd make the trade. I'm saying I can see why Ana would make that kind of demand.

Pronger's only 34. He's probably got at least another 4 years in him, maybe more. He'll probably be a punishing hitter for another 3.

Varlamov is still an unknown though with great potential. Alzner will not put up the points that Pronger can, and doesn't have the cannon either. Carlson is in the OHL and is at least a year maybe 2 away from NHL.

Yes, I can see the demand. And I would have said to Anaheim, thanks but no thanks.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

When Feds retires after this season, aren't we going to need Nyls to be the 2nd line center?

Posted by: WVPhil | March 4, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Carlson is a keeper, kid is good.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 4, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I would have liked to see happen that did not was dumping Nylander's salary. I believe Kronwall was picked up to be sent down after the trade deadline so Alzner could retun to the Caps without destroying Hershey's chances. Now Kronwall can go down and Alzner can come up. Our D is not as bad as we make it out to be.

Green - Schultz
Morisson - Poti
Alzner - Erskin / Jurcina / Pothier

The biggest complaint on D is not that the players are bad but they are not tough enough. I am not sure anyone but Pronger would have made us tougher and I am sure we can all agree he is not worth what was being asked for him.

All in all we are a good team, I think we'll be fine if we don't have to face Philly in the first round.

Posted by: TARobeck | March 4, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame Nylander for not waiving his NMC to Toronto...seriously guys?

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Feds may be back next year. He hinted that he would play another year if he's healthy. Apparently, he loves playing in Washington and hasn't loved hockey this much in years.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

_828 has been pretty much spot on in all these posts today. The only point I'd change is I'd say last year was a surprise getting into the playoffs. This year we should be in the playoffs... winning the East is going to be the icing.

I'd say Varly alone is worth more than a Pronger right now. Varly and Neuvirth are going to be our future goalies people. We have Jose for 1 more year after this and Johnsons a FA after this season I think. Hopefully we can bring one up next season, and make big trades at next year's trade deadline and next year is the year we're a serious contender for the cup.

Posted by: nowanna1 | March 4, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

See, a lot depends on what you're willing to give up. I think Ana would have considered Flash + Alzner + first round pick. That's a tall order I know. But Pronger IS a game changer, especially for the Caps.

If we keep on relying on the farm to win the cup, we might have to wait too long, or it might never happen, windows of opportunity closing and all. Think about all this talent going to waste because of a missing piece.

Of course, we can argue that we don't miss any piece :p - that's what we've been doing all day lol

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Greg S, okay. I thought that might be what you were saying, but wasn't sure.

mauree, I think they're called M&Ms! And they come in bags, not bottles. lol

And, if I'm reading the CBA correctly, because Kronwall hasn't been here 30 days or played in ten consecutive games, he doesn't have to go through waivers. (Article 13, Section 22 if anyone wants to check my comprehension)

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Interesting question just posed on Japers...

"if the Caps were guaranteed of winning the SC this year by trading for Pronger, would you be willing to give up all three of those guys?"

Posted by: CBT2 | March 4, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alanb1 | March 4, 2009 4:58 PM

Let's track his career arch.

1. Inherited an aging but successful team
2. Aging but successful team got older and less succesful
3. Rebuild
4. 40-20-5, 3rd Place in Eastern Conference with team 2-4 years from their prime

Posted by: feyd991 | March 4, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Hell no

Posted by: feyd991 | March 4, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

As a long suffering Caps fans, I think I would take the guaranteed Stanley Cup.

Posted by: CBT2 | March 4, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alanb1 | March 4, 2009 4:58 PM

Let's track his career arch.

1. Inherited an aging but successful team
2. Aging but successful team got older and less succesful
3. Rebuild

Posted by: feyd991 | March 4, 2009 5:32 PM

don't forget that when GMGM blew the team up in 2003, he got some mega value out of it. Laich. Flash. the pick that resulted in Mike Green (bet all those teams that passed on him back then now wish they hadn't). More picks. more GOOD prospects. Its almost embarassing how well GMGM managed to fleece some of those other teams.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually that's a stupid question posed on Japer's - the premise of a guaranteed Cup is moronic.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | March 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

We've just got to live with what we got and see where it takes us...
But if they play the same way they've been playing the last two games tomorrow, is it really time to start panicking?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

CBT2, No. However, if the guarantee was for the next five years...I might consider it. Even then, that's a really iffy might.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

McPhee will put together a good defense.. sometime next decade.. or maybe not.

Posted by: alanb1 | March 4, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, if you could absolutely guarantee 100% the Caps would win the Cup if we made that deal for Pronger...I would do it. If you can't guarantee a Cup win, then I would say no everytime.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

CBT2,
Absolutely.

Posted by: WVPhil | March 4, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

We've just got to live with what we got and see where it takes us...

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2009 5:36 PM

I don't know if you were at the games that last week, but I'm wondering if there's some hidden injuries and/or flu bug. Ovie and Green both seemed a step (or six....) slow, particularly against Carolina. Most of the team did, actually. The only three that stood out to me as playing hard were:

Kronwall, solely because I wanted to see him dish out a Kronwallian hit on someone, whcih he did, thank you!

Laich, who skated like a pit bull was after him and played agressive

Semin, yes, Semin, who played like GMGM took him aside and said "Look, either play like you mean it, or I'm shipping you off to a crap team that doesn't have any Russians on it!"

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I'da taken Pronger for those three prospects.

3 years min of solid D, a veteran role model for the younger D guys makes em grow better, and he will retain trade value even after two years if we don't need his leadership or salary at that point.

Most importantly I think I speak for everyone when I say we need more gap-toothed players on our team. Ovi can't be our lone gap-tooth representative.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 4, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

We already have Alzner and Carlson in the system. Seems like he was drafting for D lately. Would you rather us completely flopped all of last year as well and got Schenn or Doughty in the draft this past year? The arena would still only be 75% full and the incredible surge of the team many of us have cheered on for 15-20 years would not have happened yet.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl,

Winning the Cup in each of the next five years would make the Caps a dynasty and they would go down as one of the greatest teams ever.

If you expect the Caps to win more than 5 SCs during the next 10-15 years, so are in for big disappointment

Posted by: CBT2 | March 4, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

remember pronger with edmonton in 05/06? he led the oilers to the finals (stanley cup) and they lost. around three weeks later he requested a trade. he can't handle loosing. if the caps got him and they lost in the playoffs pronger would probably do the same again or sign with another team a year later.

Posted by: gocaps01 | March 4, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@gocaps01

He was also living in Edmonton

Posted by: austinsteve | March 4, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gocaps01 | March 4, 2009 5:44 PM

Not because they lost, but because he knocked up the weathergirl and his wife wanted OUT.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 4, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

wait, so why hasn't he been requesting trades every year since...nevermind, I retract any reply to that statement

2x :)

Posted by: austinsteve | March 4, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

gocaps01

that's ridiculous. Pronger single-handily brought a mediocre team to the final. He wanted to stay there but wifey said no. Later he brought Ana to the final, and won it. Get your facts straight.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

mauree

You're asking for a lot there...

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Greg

where? :p

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I declare the big winners today to be:

Florida
Buffalo
Calgary
New Jersey

Marginal winners:

Carolina
Phoenix
Boston
Pittsburgh

Losers:

NYR

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

getting facts straight.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

How are the Rangers losers today? They've added Morris, Antropov and Avery without giving up anybody good. They're not cup contenders now but they definitely improved.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 4, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

CBT2, *sigh* I know, but its fun to dream, right? I guess I'd take five years. If I have to... :-D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I think one of the espn.com guys said it best when stating it wasn't a very exciting draft day when the biggest name moved has been in the league 10 years and never played in a playoff game.

A lot of smaller moves, we'll have to wait and see who made the right ones to add to their team's chemistry without detracting from it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Well maybe I exaggerate a bit to compensate for the absurdity of his original statement :D

Regarding FLA as winner, it's a risky move, they could have gotten some serious overpayment for JB - now they might lose him anyway this summer. But, it would have sucked to let him go.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the adds to NYR will fit in with Torts style of play. I also don't think that the existing players fit in, either, but that's a different issue.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

ROFLMAO! McPhee said that the players available except for Pronger and JayB were not an upgrade over what he currently has? Get the f outta here. He's dumber than I thought. He totally overvalues his own players. Brian Pothier? Mr Concussion is supposed to be equivalent to Derek Morris? hahahahahahah

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

What would you have done GMmaven1918?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 4, 2009 5:56 PM

--------------------------------

now that is a well thought out statement and not just comments from "haters" who hate on any move another team makes just because its a rival of the caps.
The Rangers made great moves. Prucha wasn't playing that much, Kalinin can easily be replaced by Morris, and after waiving Aaron Voros and now dumping Nigel Dawes the Rangers have room for guys like Avery and LK

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

NHL on the Fly guys reviewed what the Caps did (or rather didn't do) on this day and said that McPhee tried to make something happen as much as he could, but ultimately Nylander's big contract and the inability to move him significantly limited his options.

So unless someone on here owns an NHL team and was willing to take Nylander off George's hands I suggest you people pipe down the hysteric rhetoric.

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: ranndino | March 4, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

What would you have done GMmaven1918?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 6:07 PM

1-- I wouldn't have brought back Nylander this year. That was a no brainer move.

2-- I wouldn't have resigned Bradley nor extended Erskine

3-- I would have been working the phones hard all season long, not just two days before the deadline.

4-- I'd do what some of the other salarycapped teams did and upgraded my grit upfront with players like Neil or Carcillo who provide energy and leadership and whose presence becomes more valuable when you get into a playoff series with nasty teams like the Flyers for example.

Since I'm not in all the meetings, to give you specific trades involving specific players is impossible given I have no idea what one specific team wants vs another. But I do know this, other GMs have no problems swinging trades while McPhee usually overvalues his own assets and doesn't want to give anything up. He also sits on his thumbs every single year and only really tries to make something happen right before the deadline. I've seen this movie before and it suks. We do have prospects and young guys who are not franchise players who maybe attractive to other teams from Gordon to Schultz. Even Alzner is by no means a franchise defenseman guarantee. He's a project much like #55. You have to give to get, and you have to be creative. Just asking for Pronger and going for broke like that without having your irons in other fires is plain dumb and totally reflective of McPhee's managerial style. Hope he gets canned asap because he's been here too long and some of the core issues have never been addressed. Like our porous DEFENSE.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: ranndino | March 4, 2009 6:13 PM
---------------------------------------

Did I miss something or was GM the one responsible for Nylander's contract? You don't absolve a guy of blame when he was the chief architect to begin with.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Can I change my name here to NylandersLeadContract?

I'm going to try and make myself go hide from post-trade deadline woulda-coulda-shoulda's til tomorrow.

Sihm uh dow nau

Posted by: austinsteve | March 4, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:16 PM

In case you forgot (or weren't watching) Nylander was at a point a game pace before his shoulder gave out on him in the middle of last season. And the Caps were one of multiple bidders.

Hindsight is nice try to remember they didn't give him that contract last week and then start scratching him.

Posted by: feyd991 | March 4, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Alzner is like JS55? Man that's a new one.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Come on Maven you can't possibly blame GM for Nyl's situation. It just turned out a bad fit later on.

I'm with you that he should have done more this deadline though. But we can't blame him for a "disaster" - when the disaster is a the third team in the eastern conference.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

maven,

the flyers gave up Upshall for Carcillo... a pretty steep price if you ask me. I think Phoenix got the better of that deal.

Posted by: donknutts | March 4, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

@alanb1,
All I want to add is, "Amen my friend. Amen."

Posted by: Puckguru | March 4, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I just stepped over the dog's tail, and I swear it was Nylander's fault. GMGM you are an idiot, if you had not signed him I wouldn't have stepped over the dog's tail.

Posted by: opita1 | March 4, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Its funny that GM felt the need to explain that he had in fact pursued some big players just so the fanbase doesn't thnk he's totally worthless. He's just coverin his own butt as usual.

When I look at some of the trades there were quite a lotta teams involved today that were serious about contending this year. Sharks, Flames, Rangers, Bruins. Those teams aggressively pursued players and were able to make deals. Sharks picked up Travis Moen pretty cheap.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Well if Prongers wife wanted out of Oilers country than by the same standards there is no way in hell she would be willing to give up 70 degrees in winter, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island shopping, and the general Newport Beach lifestyle that she has grown accustomed to the past few years. And on top of that Pronger has looked uninspired to say the least and the fans here all expect the Ducks to not even make the playoffs.

Posted by: CaliforniaCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

CaliforniaCapsFan

yeah, that's why I thought he'd never been on the market. But, he IS a hockey player. He could go back there in 4-5 years. BTW, Fashion Island rocks :)

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

maven,

Posted by: donknutts | March 4, 2009 6:23 PM
----------------------------------

It had to be uneven, thats how they were able to dump Upshall's contract. But they didn't trade him for a bag of bones. The bottom line is the Flyers were able to shed salary while picking up a young aggressive player with a lot of upside. Thats what I meant about being "creative"
McPhee doesn't know the meaning of that word. If he can't engineer a straight deal or trade a guy who makes a lot of money for another player who doesn't make a lot, its like he doesn't understand there are many different ways to make trades. The Flyers gave up a talented gritty forward for a player who is grittier but hasn't shown that level of skill yet. Thats the price they had to pay to shed contract. Doh!

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see Nylander leading us in the play-offs. Just wait and see!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | March 4, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, it is time to enforce the Drunk Posting Breathalyzer test.

Posted by: opita1 | March 4, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

GM just lacks a pair. He's very passive in the trade market historically. As long as he's here to expect anything else is foolish. He's never going to be a mover and a shaker, he seems to only deal with certain teams. We'll never see any trades with teams like Vancouver, SJ, St Louis etc. He's got his one or two buddies and thats who he deals with. Very narrow scope.

Even if he'd just ended up with Antropov and either Moen or Neil at forward with Morris and Montador on D, that would have been an upgrade. It didn't take much to get Antropov, Moen, Neil or Montador. So he'd really only have to part with one significant player (not a bluechipper either) to get a shot at Morris.

Frankly he should've packaged up Schultz for a burrito and we'd have come out ahead :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I find it kind of odd that people are blasting the GM that brought us Huet, Fedorov, and Cooke for roughly a ham sandwich and a bag of pucks. I won't give him credit for Ovechkin because everyone knew he'd be great, but he got us Green, Flash, Semin, Backstrom, and a whole fist full of prospects. People are throwing him under the bus for not making a move not considering that it was he who got us a team so good we had no need for trades we'll later regret.

Posted by: dcfury | March 4, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Since I'm not in all the meetings......

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:14 PM

Exactly, you're not in all the meetings so how can you know that GMGM only started working the phones 2 days ago?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@maven1918,
I'm very impressed by your understanding of the situation. STICK TO YOUR GUNS. You are spot -on in your assesment. And, you're not alone in feeling the way you do.

Posted by: Puckguru | March 4, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey anyone remember that Boo guy? He was fun, I miss him.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Difference is...someone wanted Upshall. Wouldn't shock me if we just couldn't find any takers for Nylander.

You never know if there were possible deals in the works for guys who agreed to extensions elsewhere. Perhaps we were planning to do just that (move Nylander somehow) as a prelude to another move with more substance to it. If it wasn't available why try to throw something together at the last minute (as some of you are criticizing already). The guys on NHLN while showing the Flyers found a way to shed salary pointed out they were expecting a little bit more. They lost some depth from waivers earlier in the week and these moves looked like they might have been in an effort to complete a bigger deal at the buzzer that never materialized.

If we win a playoff series or two and go out in the 2nd round or the ECF is this season REALLY a failure to any of you?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

Finally something we agree on. Although I think we could have gotten a few burritos just for someone to get a 6'4 goofy guy to laugh at.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: Did you forget when we traded with Vancouver last year?

Posted by: jafrick | March 4, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Instead of instituting a drunk breathalyzer test here maybe GM can volunteer for the "Do I have a pulse or a pair" test. I'd like to see the results of that!

But yay we get to see JS in the lineup the rest of the year while Kronwall undeservedly toils in the minors. Makes sense to me.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

@maven1918,

Posted by: Puckguru | March 4, 2009 6:38 PM

Imagine that.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

DaveCapsfn -- Everytime I eat a burrito now I will be thinking of Schultz. Thats bad mojo!

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Amazes me this.

People slag Nyls off for weeks (months even) then complain when GMGM can't shift him because there are no takers.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

See Boo, told you no one would notice :)

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Since I'm not in all the meetings......

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:14 PM

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:37 PM

------------------------------------

considering he only really makes deals right at every trade deadline it was pretty damn easy to figure out. Any more questions?

and thanks puckguru, I will stick to my guns as I have in the past. Most of the McPhee lovers here are deluding themselves and offering up every excuse in the book. He constructed this roster and this organization and I'm still waiting to see a real calibre NHL defense. Not just big guys who don't hit and smaller guys who are closet forwards and dont' care about defense. And if other teams don't find our players 'attractive' enough to make deals for, thats also on McPhee. He brought those players here to begin with. And if he doesn't want to part with the few players who are attractive to other teams, then it all makes sense why he's completely impotent as a GM.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

@DaveUkCapsfan
I'm very impressed by your understanding of the situation. You are spot -on in your assesment. And, you're not alone in feeling the way you do.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Schultz just looks even more timid than in seasons past. It's also just GLARING to watch someone like Chara skate around with the speed, power, and agility he manages at his size while JS manages to look like an old NFL lineman with arthritic knees on skates night in and night out.

I'm not sure Kromwall belongs up in the NHL but I thought he made some good plays in the Carolina game. Maybe everyone else was just so bad compared to normal that he looked better. No idea why we don't have Alzner up here unless we were running that close to the cap. Pothier wasn't THAT BAD either with us and had really started playing a lot better when his concussion happened. I wouldn't expect someone to have been out that long to be able to make an impact this season but he went from thinking retirement to taking full practices pretty quickly.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Amazes me this.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:47 PM
-----------------------------------------

what amazes me is that its not like McPhee inherited Nylander. He brought him here, and he thought that he'd still be a great asset THIS season. So if anyone is givin McPhee grief its totally deserved. He brought Nyles here, and now because he can't dump him suddenly thats someone else's fault? Amazing!

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Since the naysayers seem to have a lot of time on their hands to complain, here's a worthwhile excercise: would someone care to go through every trade that involved a guy you would like to have seen in a Caps sweater and determine if indeed it would have even been possible due to salary cap restraints, possible NTCs, and their RFA/UFA status?

This isn't the pre-lockout NHL where players could be traded straight up and teams were allowed to pay part of a guy's salary so another team would take him (anyone remember us paying Jagr so the Rangers would take him?). Everyone can armchair QB the situation, but unless you were in on the conference calls with possible trade partners, then you surely don't know what was going on behind the scenes. It's also presumptuous to think that anyone wanted the players we were willing to offer. No point in blowing up a team that has worked itself into the position they currently occupy.

So, there are our guys. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 4, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Thank God for a proper GM.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | March 4, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

What amazes me is that no expected BB to be the coach and come in with a new system that may not fit the players of old. What amazes me is that people are stubborn enough to not know when a team evolves or that people don't have the patients to see where this team goes.

I don't really care what anyone says... this is MY team and I am excited to see what they can do in the years to come. It's funny when people start writing them off because they didn't make a move or they lost the last two games. The flu is going around, players are concerned they may leave the team, and who knows what else goes in the mix.

I guess people have their opinions and can imagine if they were GM for a day. But bottom line - NOTHING, yes NOTHING you can say on this blog can change the team. So, DEAL with it... OR, become a Flyers or Penguins fan. I guess you can continue to whine just for the sake of it, but it's really not that flattering... especially when you call out some of the players and ownership.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I want world peace. Anyone else want anything? Maybe it will happen by writing on this blog.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

828, you are a poet.

now, let's get back to offending people who wanted to trade Ovi. Wonder where Chief was today...

Posted by: Leeguru | March 4, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

_@828

Actually, BB's system is not sustainable. It is based on 3-4 great assets and not built for play-offs. Throwing the puck to the blue line while Ovie waits so he can surge will not work in the play-offs.
Teams get much tighter in the play-offs, including space.
The Caps are a 1 1/2 line forward team with an offensive defensemen. They are incredibly gifted but the lack of depth and versatility will hurt them.

Posted by: atybat | March 4, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I wouldn't want to trade our 3rd best defensemen and the future of the Caps only hope for consistent netminding for a semi-decent D-man either. Good job GM

Posted by: ejohnsto | March 4, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

atybat, he won the Calder Cup with this system. Oh, but wait, you are going to say that's the AHL and the players are a lot weaker. Maybe we should send Ovie to the AHL... maybe he can get something done there.

But, how can you knock it? They are not in the playoffs yet and have yet to play a playoff game with this more experienced team than last year. Plus, they won't be wasting as much energy like they did last year just to make the playoffs. So, how can you knock this years team that has YET to play a single playoff game this year? Again, what's your point?
The playstation 5 is going to suck. Haven't played it yet, but it's going to suck pretty bad.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

McPhee brought on Nylander with a different team under a different coaching style.

Posted by: LA_caps_fan | March 4, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

@828

I want a billion dollars. No wait. Make that two. Then I'll buy 100 deluxe de-humidifiers and use pure Fiji glacial water to make the best ice ever @VC. I'll also give season tickets to many in this blog, and make a huge Fashion Island in DC with lake for Pronger's wife. oh! oh! and I'll buy Crosby to make lipstick commercials.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone's posted it yet, but by my count, 3 teams didn't do anything for the trade deadline:

Detroit, Nashville, and us.

Nashville made trades earlier in the season. Detroit and Washington are the only two teams in the league that haven't traded since Sept. 26th.

All of this according to TSN.

Posted by: Raber | March 4, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Who in here wants to play poker against GMGM? That's what I thought. The pipeline containing BB, 52, 14, 19, Bourque, Osala, etc, etc. etc. is built and maintained by the guy some of you clowns are second-guessing. I don't get the Erskine contract any more than some here get Schultz', but there it is: third in the east after this recent 'catastrophe', and more fun than heaven knows what. What's to gripe?
And stop with Schultz v. Chara, who's been in the NHL a decade longer and was -27, with 157 PIM, when he was where Schultz is now.
Isn't this Fun? Go Capitals!

Posted by: redlineblue | March 4, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Raber, Vancouver didn't make any moves, either.

Posted by: elicea | March 4, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

"...Teams get much tighter in the play-offs, including space..."

Exactly true. All teams do, no matter what system they choose to use during the regular season. The playoff series against Philly was the best thing that could have happened to these Caps. It was a great illustration of what you can/cannot do come playoff time. I'm sure the lessons of last sprilg are not lost on this group. Talented players adapt to the situation, as do coaching staffs, so don't write these guys off before they have a chance to show what they can do.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 4, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

SHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

lol.

lets go caps.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

go and see your families. trade day is over.

the new dawn begins tomorrow.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

family told me i couldn't come home yet....

Posted by: Leeguru | March 4, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

you are always welcome here, my friend.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

golly, thanks.

i'm gonna go troll the pens blogs now...

Posted by: Leeguru | March 4, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

assuming you wash up, of course.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!!

Posted by: WhyGo | March 4, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

AND I GET TO GO GO GO!

Thanks to Steve R for the ticket, and thanks to my wife for allowing me out of the house!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 4, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

also, im talking to all my friends, and they all say that they wish they were like the Caps and made no moves.

you want to know whats really funny? Although i find that our blue line is weak myself compared to some other teams, most of my friends have picked the Caps to be the East favorite or at least a huge threat. This is including philly, nj, and boston guys.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

@maven1918
"Most of the McPhee lovers here are deluding themselves and offering up every excuse in the book. He constructed this roster and this organization and I'm still waiting to see a real calibre NHL defense."
------------------------------------------
He did construct this roster and it just happens to be the best one in franchise history! Would it have been nice to improve the team sure but at what expense? I like GMGM's luck with "Potential" a hellofa lot more than I do David Poile's idea of potential. Maybe you weren't around for all those empty promises. Should I even say the name Reg...Reggie..... Nope not gonna do it. At least we're not drafting the Scott Steven's of the world and then not resigning them anymore due to money. Lots or progress and still a long way to go with a very very infantile core.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 4, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

funny to see everyone calm themselves after McPhee speaks. We are loaded with young talent. Of course other teams want them... and never just 1.

Posted by: rh71 | March 4, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

when GMGM signed Nylander, Nylander's shoulder was still in one, functional piece, too. Between that and the change to BB (and remember, another veteran Cap named Olie absolutely ripped into BB in the press), it had the potential to be a disaster, which, unfortunately, it has turned into.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alanb1 | March 4, 2009 4:58 PM

Is this Chief's new alias - alanb1?

Posted by: puckman | March 4, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 4, 2009 5:56 PM

--------------------------------

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 6:08 PM

avery is a tool. antropov was a steal, but if you think Morris wasnt weighted in the Yotes favor, it just proves what you effectively do with every mind numbing post.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

and prucha was playing great. ask any rags fan, they wanted Prucha to start every game. I wonder why he wasnt. Torts wouldve played him.

rags "core" of drury, redden, and gomez still brings the laughs.

and avery and torts being together just brings even more laughs.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 7:45 PM

Thats because your friends are as stupid as you are RichmondPhil.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Rangers made themselves better but honestly, how many big-name players have had a cup of coffee at the Garden post-94... Gretzky, Pavel Bure, Jagr, the list goes on. They NYR are the Redskins of the NHL, they always go for the splashy names, yet they win very little. They have a world-class goaltender and that will always make them dangerous, but I'm not suddenly scared of the Rangers. Those guys will struggle like the rest of them.

Posted by: donknutts | March 4, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alanb1 | March 4, 2009 4:58 PM

----------------------------------------

also helps when you have some real dumb fans support you in your complete ineptitude. You know who you all are!

Maybe in 20 more years McPhee will find a way to construct a real defense.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Like most folks here, I'm somewhat disappointed that the Caps weren't able to upgrade on the blue line. That being said...

I've been a Caps fan since the franchise's birth...and a hockey fan even longer.

The way I see it, a sizeable portion of Caps "fans" are truly ignorant when it comes to defensemen. Everyone LOVED Rod Langway and Scott Stevens for their physical style of play & rightly so...both Hall of Famers.

Conversely, Larry Murphy and Kevin Hatcher were booed mercilessly in DC. Murphy and Hatcher were both very productive players and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Murphy is in the Hall of Fame too.

The point here is that, generally speaking, DC hockey fans love physical defensemen & don't seem to have the saavy to appreciate d-men who are able to substantially contribute, without playing Hulk Hogan.

Would I have liked to pick up Pronger...sure...but the price was too high.

We have a very good team currently, but I don't think we are a Cup threat with Theodore in goal. I think in the next year or two Varlamov will solve the goalie problem. Only then - with a shutdown goaltender - do you potentially mortgage the farm for "the final piece of the puzzle".

Posted by: jcb_41 | March 4, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

right maven.

go play your nhl 09 dynasty some more and make some sick trades.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow, maven.

It's gotta suck waking up every day being you. Looks like a miserable existence.

Posted by: LA_caps_fan | March 4, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

larry murphy is one of the best defense man to ever play.

how could people not like him? Scott Stevens i can understand...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

"Who in here wants to play poker against GMGM? That's what I thought"

haha thats a riot! The answer is, you couldn't play poker against him because he'd never show up. Just like his performance today. Then he says things like "we pursued pronger but the price was too high and my prospects are too good to give up blah blah blah"

And he'll say that next year and the year after that and the year after that all the while hoping some of his douchbag young players like Schultz somehow turn into Chara. Yea like thats gonna happen. anywy, if there is a god McPhee will lose his job very soon. Mayb after his team loses to a lowly 1st round opponent will this town finally open its eyes. Even the media kisses his tail. If this was a better hockey media town he'd get raked over the coals for some of his decisions.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Its funny how maven starts posting when the Caps become good. All of a sudden, he thinks he is a genius.
Where were you last year?
Maybe this year wasn't the year to become a Caps fan... next year?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

right maven.

go play your nhl 09 dynasty some more and make some sick trades.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:03 PM

---------------------------------------

RichmondPhil, tell me more stories about how your friends have picked the Caps over other teams in the East. I'm fascinated! Hell we shouldn't even play the games anymore, RichPhil's friends have already picked us.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

>>Olie absolutely ripped into BB in the press), it had the potential to be a disaster, which, unfortunately, it has turned into.

Olie to benches in Tampa Bay and Toronto. BB to Jack Adams and the playoffs, again. Who cares what that has-bag 37 thinks?

This sure -is- a disaster. Why, if I have to watch Nick Backstrom slip one more pass through a gap in the time-space continuum, I think I'll go mad.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 4, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Chief, is that you hiding behind maven?

Lee, happy to hook you up with a ticket.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 4, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

larry murphy is one of the best defense man to ever play.

how could people not like him? Scott Stevens i can understand...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:04 PM

--------------------------------

bwwaahhahhaaaaaa!!! Did you learn your hockey from Pierre McGuire?

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I can't beleive the kings dumped O'Sullivan. I figured it would be Frolov.

you want to talk about a team with depth and an insane farm system, look at L.A. they will be a team to reckon with in a couple years...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

If a deal guarantees a Stanley Cup, which is obviously an absurd hypothetical, you make it every time. Last I checked, the Caps have been in the league for 36 seasons and there isn't a Stanley Cup banner hanging in the rafters.......

Posted by: randysbailin | March 4, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

maven, if you don't like how things are done - become a Flyers fan or a Penguins fan... you would fit right in.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Murphy was only booed when he left and came back though. Not so much when he was on the team.

Posted by: donknutts | March 4, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

larry murphy is one of the best defense man to ever play.

how could people not like him? Scott Stevens i can understand...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:04 PM

--------------------------------

bwwaahhahhaaaaaa!!! Did you learn your hockey from Pierre McGuire?

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 8:08 PM

no, but you learned your GMing from a combination of NHL video games and Shero.

hey, guess what, a two way contract doesnt mean you can send people down/up without waivers. i know, video games told you differently.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Guys like these are turning this place into a PensBlog wannabe. Hopefully the Caps win the rest of thier remaining games and go 16-0 and win the cup so they don't come back

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redlineblue | March 4, 2009 8:08 PM

oy, I worded that really poorly, didn't I? eek, moments I wish we had an "edit post" function! In no way do I think BB is a bad coach--no no no, hey, his system works and all I keep hearing his guys going "I want to stay in washington because I want to stay with Bruce." Heck, sign me up as the High Priestess of the Cult of Bruce.

Ok, so now that I got that out of the way....what I was trying (and failing) to say is that it seems like, for some reason, that those veteran guys who were around with Hanlon (ie, guys over 30ish) haven't really responded so well the Bruce. I find it interesting. Obviously, Olie didn't really like BB; and Tarik has hinted that there's considerable issues between Nylander and Bruce. Its just something I find curious.

(and Fedorov does count because he never played under Hanlon AND he seems to think charging up and down the ice with the young'uns is just the bets thing ever)

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_R No, maven is Wendel and alanb1 is Chief.
Welcome them back!!!! hahaha

Posted by: puckman | March 4, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

sorry, should say Fedorov doesn't count....

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

go home Maven (clap clap, clap clap clap)
go home Maven (clap clap, clap clap clap)
go home Maven (clap clap, clap clap clap)

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Nah, wendel doesn't use caps or punctuation.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 4, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

maven can't go home until I hear his explanation on why he thinks saying Larry Murphy is one of the best defense man ever is funny.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

After reading Maven, 2 things have become clear to me...

#1 Maven you must think this team is worse off than last year's team, who took the Flyers who went all the way to the ECF to OT in Game 7 of the 1st round. It was pretty obvious for the first couple games our young guys (something like 16 total last year) getting their first taste of playoff hockey hadn't adjusted yet. After that we outplayed them in the series. You must think we're worse than that team or you would assume to think we would do better this time around.

#2 I can use bwaahahahahaaaaaaa in conversation again now that I know it hadn't vanished completely from everyone's lexicon.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey anyone else think Neuvy will start tomorrow? I think so because Jose can't be 100% by tomorrow if he had the flu.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey maven,

Your actually a Flyers fan, aren't you? I'd recognize that all emotion/zero thought process anywhere. Your ignorance is merely proving the point of my previous post.

Would I like to see Schultz play a little more physical with that big frame...sure. That being said, he plays generally good positional hockey, is excellent on the poke check with that big wingspan and his plus 17 rating doesn't lie. Is he an all-star...maybe not, but he's a good YOUNG NHL defenseman and will improve with experience.

By your criteria, I suppose Alzner is a washout too, eh?

Posted by: jcb_41 | March 4, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I like trolls. They are funny.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 4, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:18 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Jmu you are correct kronwell was picked up for the Bears and can now go down with out us losing him to waivers. I just hope we call up Alzner tomorrow.

Posted by: CalleJo | March 4, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone answer what is so complicated or mysterious about Olie and Jamie Heward going to Toronto? TSN just said it is more complicated and Toronto GM Brian Burke alluded to that same thing and wouldn't explain it earlier on NHL Network... Kind of weird that they pick up 2 guys who are older and done for the year with injuries this year. I heard that Ron Wilson asked for Olie on the team, but still don't totally understand the mystery here... Anyone?

Posted by: Roose | March 4, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a pretty good career.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Gm should have traded a draft pick for a proven backup like clemmonson or a veteran like raycroft of khabibulen remember what that anahiem second round pick did for us last year. brought in huet and got us to the playoffs. there was no way the caps could have made it with kolzig

Posted by: gocaps01 | March 4, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

hes only the 5th highest scoring defense man ever.

hes only one of only a handful of players who never won hardware yet is still a HoFer.

hes only won 4 cups.

larry murphy sucks.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Roose-
Toronto still has a shot at the playoffs. They might have wanted locker guys with a lot of expierence. what i don't understand is them throwing away antropov

Posted by: gocaps01 | March 4, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Phil,Maven was here last year, he called himself Chief. I cannot believe the number of TROLLS on here today and the amount of idiocy displayed by feeding them constantly. Seriously folks today was a non event for so many reasons, the least of which was what the Caps did not do. The Frogs are losing!!! Go Sabres

Posted by: majiksea | March 4, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Yeah I'm reading over his career and was like "wtf" whats funny about RP's statement?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

the only reason I am disappointed in no swaps is that we werent able to move Nylander, so that (most likely) means we have to take on his 4.75 hit next year. :\

oh well.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

In Maven's defense. Larry Murphy wasn't that good in Sega's NHL Hockey.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

GM should have at least traded a prospect for a draft pick to open up some room for claiming players off waivers

Posted by: gocaps01 | March 4, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I've searched everywhere--where are people reading that crazy Ron Wilson wanted to be reunited with crazy Olie Kolzig?

Is Ron going to go nuts in the locker room and is Olie going to break some sticks and drop a few f-bombs, you know, for old time's sake?

(bonus! Will thy do that show for us tomorrow night?! Oh man, those were some good times!)

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

also, i am really excited for the return of Pothier. Not exactly the best defense man playing right now, but he plays his position solid. His performance before his concussion here in WSH is sort of unfair, since our team sucked as a whole. He was a solid defense man who played his position and could move the puck around while up in Ottawa though.

@828, :)

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gocaps01 | March 4, 2009 8:44 PM

the problem was was that we had a max roster of 50 people. We could only have gained a player by trading a player. So that unfortunately meant that the pretty decent waiver wire fury this year could not be touched by the caps.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

828,

We're talking about REAL hockey here. This team is good, but young. They're a year or two away...but the depth in the minors is very encouraging.

Posted by: jcb_41 | March 4, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

oh, i read that wrong go gocaps01. You have the right idea. Would've been nice to dipped our hands into that really good waiver wire debacle.
The only problem I can see with that is the fact that we are top 5 in the league right now, so our bids for waived players would be near next to last.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Spacek totally just jumped into the boards after scoring.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

It is me or is Price not the same since his return from injury?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

gee Lawton was able to get rid of ollie9 OUT FOR THE YEAR AND RETIRING) yet gmgm couldnt get rid of nylander

Posted by: wendel2 | March 4, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Spacek totally just jumped into the boards after scoring.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2009 8:50 PM

those damn not-giving-a-crap-about-tradition jumping euros!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Rachel

It's pretty clear a lot of guys celebrate...nothing wrong with it in my opinion, it's only wrong to Grapes when you're Russian and grabbing more headlines than The Next One.

Actually when you are laughing because you knocked over old man Feds after a meaningless goal and it LOOKS like celebrating then it's a little weird.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

HE HAS A NTC!!!

WHATS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND? IF HE DOESN'T LIKE THE TRADE HE'S NOT GOING TO WAIVE IT.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wendel2 | March 4, 2009 8:52 PM

the leafs took a 4th rd pick to pick up some of tampa's salary.

nylander's contract lasts until next year, meaning a team would have to pick up a 5 mil cap hit next year.

huge difference wendel...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I know, everyone is copying Ovie. But Don Cherry is stupid, everyone is celebrating like that now.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, i disagree a little bit on that part Ludeman. If a GM tells you to waive your no trade clause, you are going to do it.

I think that Nyls wasnt moved simply for the fact that his very expensive contract goes into next year, so if a team wanted to pick up nyls for us then they would also have to deal with his 4.75 hit next year. No team is that dumb.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if GM could have done something in which he paid some of Nyls salary... didn't we have to do that with Jagr?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Seemed to work for Sundin for a little while.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I mean, of course you have the power to deny it since it is there, but generally if a GM wants you to go, itll happen as long as there is a taker.

In the case of nyls, no takers. haha

We can trade him and choose to pick up some of his salary, that is possible.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

In the case of nyls, no takers. haha

Exactly, with the way he's been playing lately, people expected for teams to be beating down the door to get to him. What team in thier right mind is going to pay $4.75 mil for that. Kinda the same situation with Ray Lewis and the Ravens. I guess his agent was telling him that the phones would be ringing off the hook last Friday, but there was just a dial tone. Now he's resigning with the Ravens.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

BTW - If anybody on here references that D tandem of Kwiatkowski and Doig again, I promise I will get you banned from this site! That was the worst I have ever seen at any pro or collegiate level hockey.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 4, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

jason doig? haha

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

roose - the leafs took olie & heward (both out for the year & ufa's next year) & a 4th round 2009 pick from tampa for a d prospect - petiot. what is complicated is they basically took $500k off of tampa's payroll for the rest of the year for a 4th round pick. the nhl does not allow solely $ to trade hands but that in essence is what it is.
caps01- the leafs are out this year. olie & heward will not even make it to TO in the 19 games they have remaining.

Posted by: hockeypope | March 4, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

LOL Where's Roman Tvrdon when you need him?

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | March 4, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

This is what Corey said from the Times. The way he puts it is that the Ducks weren't asking for all 3 defensemen.

"McPhee said he talked to Anaheim about Chris Pronger, but the asking price proved to be too high. He said that names like Simeon Varalmov, John Carlson and Karl Alzner came up in a lot of his talks, and he wasn't willing to move any of his "6-8 Grade A prospects" or his first-round pick in any of the deals he discussed."

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 4, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

How about Mathieu Biron and Ivan Majasky

or

Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre and John Gruden.

Oh, the glory days!

Posted by: puckman | March 4, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Also GMGM told him that Brent Johnson could be back for the playoffs.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 4, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 6:37 PM

yes he never trades w/ vancouver. well, except for last year when he traded petty for cooke. but never since then. he's made trades that i can remember with pitts, philly, columbus, nashville, vancouver, montreal, colorado, ottawa, detroit, ny rangers, calgary, boston yep, pretty small group indeed.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Getting Pronger and mortgaging the future would not have guaranteed the Stanley Cup based on our holes in so many other positions (Goalie, defensive-minded forwards, rugged stay-at-home defensemen to name a few). Let these young Caps play and get more seasoned in the Playoffs and then make some more moves after the season is over. I, at first was pissed that GMGM did not make any move, but after thinking about it a bit, he made the right move by not doing a thing. Pittsburgh got lucky last year and ended up in the Stanley Cup, but Marion Hossa instantly saw that they were doing it with smoke and mirrors and quickly bolted for the Detroit Red Wings. The Caps are winning but have a lot of holes and are so inconsistent because of their youth. To try to demand a "Stanley Cup or Else" scenario is just not a fair assessment of their current successful season. So enjoy this season as it will hopefully be the beginning of a Dynasty in DC.

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 4, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Im sure you guys read other blogs, she's got a good review of today's events.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Raber, Vancouver didn't make any moves, either.

Posted by: elicea | March 4, 2009 7:29 PM

-----------------------

VAN made a minor deal at the beginning of Feb. They also threw B. Morrison away (presumably to do something else with the space) and then did nothing.

Posted by: Raber | March 4, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Im sure you guys read other blogs, she's got a good review of today's events.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 9:30 PM

I'd highly recommend Peerless' take also.

Posted by: Section117 | March 4, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I'll go check it out, thanks.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wendel2 | March 4, 2009 8:52 PM

true. cause its pretty much the same thing to trade a UFA goalie and a guy making $4+M per year for the next year or so. good point. well played.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

DaveUK, No fair! If I hadn't been at class I would have bit on "where's Boo?" Where is she, btw?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

@ section117

Nice

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that Nylander will be bought out over the summer if he can't be traded before then. That'll be a heck of a hit without a player, but still less than with him on as full time.

Between 1999 and this year, Nylander averaged 53 point per year. This INCLUDES last year where he played only half a year (40 games) and had 37 points. The two immediate years prior to last year he had 83 and 76 point, mostly feeding Jagr.

The Caps got Ovie and we need someone to feed him. Nyls is UFA. Having just scored 159 points in 2 years, his stock is pretty high. $4.875/year for 3 years sounds like a good deal to me.

He was doing fine under Hanlon's lethargic style of play, but once the team's game opened up under Coach B, he was lost a bit. His shoulder injury sure didn't help. Unfortunately, he hasn't been the same since.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wendel2 | March 4, 2009 8:52 PM

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 9:40 PM

too logical for wendel. i brought this up and he hasnt responded, how surprising.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Nylander didn't say he'd lift his NMC publicly til after the benching so you can't say he wasn't moved because of the benching without knowing when he told the team he'd be willing to move.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 4, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

On the Toronto-Tampa deal involving Olie.

I believe that the ownership rules state that owners cannot loan money to another club, or purchase picks or players for cash.

This sounds like an ownership deal where they're trying to get around a bad decision and situation in Tampa, and Toronto is willing to pick up the tab on these guys that will not play the rest of the year for a draft pick. By crafting it as a "trade", Toronto basically is purchasing the pick for cash.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

No fair-to-middlin' goalie has ever gone hot for the playoffs. And I doubt these kids can find a can of up yours to offer doubters, cause that's never happened either. And Semin doesn't care, and they've figured Ovechkin out, and GMGM is the official patsy of 28 other GMs. Every player over 6'4" has to crunch to be effective, it's called the Beliveau Rule. Plus it turns out Nick Backstrom is a -goalie-, that's how dumb Caps mgmt is, they had him up front.
Also, it's not a basement, it's a *command post*.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 4, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S

Ahhhh, veardy veardy sneaky

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 4, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

that's exactly what happened.
the leafs took a 4th rd pick to pick up some of tampa's salary.

on review of all the players dealt, i feel that the only missed chance we had was possibly Pascal Leclaire. Now, i have been against bringing in another goalie, but he is signed through 2012 at a little under 3 mil/yr. He has posted ridiculous amounts of shutouts and wins, especially given the fact that he played on Columbus.

this is only a contingency though. As long as our 2 prospects stay on course, we should be fine.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

_828.. :-) you have been right on all day...good points..what are you a lawyer or something??

The majority of the people on here make me sad to be associated with you...

If you truly are a CAPS fan, then you have a funny way of showing it...

:-( This is MY team and Im happy with it, and MY boys will go deep.. b/c they have the FURY to do so...

leave GMGM alone, and stop it.. ya'll are very immature and a disgrace to be around...for goodness sake!

What's done is done, for goodness sake would you all just accept that?

Posted by: -19- | March 4, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to add to my post on the Tampa/Toronto deal.

It may not fly. The league has to approve all deals, and this one stinks of fowl play. Possibly won't be authorized.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

i would trade the entire hershey team for pronger if it guaranteed the cup. Too much suffering in April and May over the years!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 4, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Now that the smoke has settled and we can review today's events with a clear mind, I hope I speak for most Caps fans here when I say I still have tremendous faith in GMGM and his moves (or lack thereof). Especially in light of the chaos at Redskins Park, I am happy that the Caps are managed by somebody with actual long-term vision and a plan with a solid foundation. Giving up high prospects for Pronger would've been a Snyder move. I'm glad we didn't buckle.

Posted by: donknutts | March 4, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Hasn't Leclair been injured a lot?

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

yes, he has been injured this year. I wasnt counting on him this year, but moreso a contingency if our prospects take longer than expected. Definitely an underrated goalie, given the team he posted those numbers on.

Actually, his injury is what made him get traded probably, when you think about it
Get injured--> bring in rookie Mason --> Mason owns --> Get traded.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

donknutts: Are you saying you don't trust Vinny Cerrato? ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 4, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"No fair-to-middlin' goalie has ever gone hot for the playoffs." I'm hoping you're being sarcastic because Ward pretty much sucked before he won the Cup for Carolina. .882 with a 3.68 in 28 games. Just sayin'.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I like this team we have. I would have liked getting a SAH D-man that could clear out a crease, but I wouldn't give up the farm for it. To my mind, the objective is to go as deep as we can with this team and shoot for the Cup for the next few years at least. If they could fill the needs (as GMGM said a grinder, a veteran Dman and a backup goalie) without paying too much for it, he'd do it. They couldn't find the deal for the right price so they walked.

Not a bad idea.

I think it was TSN spot that mentioned that there was one (1) time since trading day was implemented were the trades actually had an impact on the winning of the Cup. If I remember correctly, it was either Carolina or Tampa.

Damn. Now I'll have to go find the bloody article.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

NHL.com had a good article about deadline busts and booms.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Mason DEFINATELY impacted that! I see your point, too. Pretty expensive backup though, no?

IDK... Johnson will want a pretty good raise this year. Maybe he'll stick around for less than he could get on the free market, but still. He could be knocking on $2M. At that point, you'd have to ask if another mil wouldn't be a better deal.

Glad the decision isn't on my plate.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Greg, It was Carolina. Doug Weight & Mark Recchi, I believe.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Greg
The trade has been approved already, nice try!

Posted by: majiksea | March 4, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Nyls was asked to waive his NMC twice today... He said yes to one trade/team but it didn't pan out...

Posted by: atybat | March 4, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I see BJ getting a raise, but 2 mil? Man, that seems a bit hefty. I figured theo comes off the books the same time as semin/backstrom, so Leclaire would be there just in case Varlamov or Neuvrith isnt developing as fast as we'd hope. Loading up next year on expensive goalie contracts wouldnt have been too bad as long as those get dumped that year.

hopefully, Varlamov stays on course, quits getting injured, and then we arent going to have to worry about goalies for a good while. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

i trust gmgm, but i think this is going to come back and haunt us

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 10:11 PM

I doubt he gets $2m coming off hip surgery. Let Varlamov/Neuvirth compete for the 2 spot next year, the winner gets 20-30 pro games, and if Theodore does decently, you can extend him for another year or two, or not.

Posted by: Section117 | March 4, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

_stevo, You mean like Erskine's contract extension?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl: Burke was on TSN a while back saying if he got 10 first-round picks for Schenn, he'd trade him. Other than that, he wouldn't.

@CBT: Yes. I want to see the Caps win one Stanley Cup in my lifetime. Whatever happens after that is what happens. If they get one, I can go forth in peace.

Posted by: writered21 | March 4, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope you guys are right. BJ is at $850K or about. He's looking at Erskine more than doubling, Green going factorial, and some of his colleagues getting nice raises last year. Doubling him gets you to 1.6 or 1.7M, so 2 isn't far off. Like I said, I don't know what the negotiations will bring. I'm not in that room.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

writered21, Yeah, I know. I don't think we have that many. *tear* I also agree about the Cup. But then again, if it all goes according to plan, I've got another 50+ years to see the Caps win the Cup. Hopefully, it takes less than five, so we can do it all over again!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 4, 2009 9:53 PM

Jeez! So we'd win the Cup one year and never again. We'd have to go back through all that all over again?

A decidedly loud, No Thank You!

It took 5 years to build the farm club and the parent team. I want a dynasty. As these guys develop, they'll be killers for a long time.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

majiksea

I do not believe that they have all been approved. They've all been announced. Approval of the deals could take a few days, though there weren't that many this year.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Detroit, Nashville, and us.
All of this according to TSN.

Posted by: Raber | March 4, 2009 7:23 PM

seems to me like Detroit has an org you might want to model yourself after.
i think the caps are currently positioned to be in the top 4 in the EC for quite a few years to come. i'm glad GMGM didn't make any stupid rental trades for a one year cup run. it's gonna be great in a few years when a Toews, Bouwmeester, Parise, Pronger, Kovalchuk, Nash etc. pulls a Hossa and says "yeah, i'll take a little less to play on a contender every year'. if you want good players to WANT to play on your team, you'll have to show them through your actions that you WANT them too. GMGM standing pat this year and sticking with Ted's plan does that in my opinion. it may not be popular with those that want the cup this year but so what - we're not responsible for putting out a product that can be marketed. just because they're a steady Dman or an elite goalie away from a 'good shot' at the cup is no reason to throw away a plan (which started before the lockout) that's been in the works for years. as a fan i think i'll be much happier following a team that is trying hard to be an elite org than the one i was while watching them wallow in the basement for 8 years before even making the playoffs. and remember - back then 16 of 21 made it every year - but not the caps. i say bravo to Ted and GMGM and i'll be patient while he works to make a stonger defense and hope that theo gets hot in apr, may and june
i'm lucky to be a caps fan and so are you

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 4, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Did I hear Satan is on waivers? He seems better than Guerin to me, unless he only kills the Caps. If he is on waivers why not pick him up?

Posted by: Osfan092589 | March 4, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Nope. They are official.

Not sure what the "nice try" was all about though.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

He cleared them. Satan is now wearing the sweater of the Baby Pens.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

watch it...

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

In terms of trades on the deadline, Vancouver, Montreal, Detroit, Minnesota, Washington and Nashville didn't do anything.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Can we please find someone that can kill penalties? I don't know how we're going to get by the Flyers in the playoffs this year with our current penalty killing units. Remember a lot of the Flyers goals last year in the playoffs were on the PP including the winner in OT in Game 7.

Posted by: jw22xy | March 4, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

_stevo, LOL! I'm just saying. I will be very glad to be proven wrong by your sexy lumberjack. I'm just waiting for that day to come.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

mcphee is content to make "the playoffs" for the next for years with our roster and prospects now.......NO, he needed to take a shot now when we can win the cup. i love our team but everyone else upgraded and we didnt and now i dont know

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Ah, thanks jmu. Also, I've heard Nyles has a no trade clause and I've also heard a no movement clause, are they the same thing? Or is a NMC where you can't demote a player? You know, since he sucks this year, let him clear waivers and go to Hershey.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | March 4, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Osfan092589 | March 4, 2009 10:44 PM

we couldn't. max roster spots.

and i dont know the exact numbers, but im going to guess cap issues as well.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

well at least gmgm didnt trade erskine, but he shoulda done something

i ditched the bradley jersey for eskine which i know you wouldnt like, but bradley went 5-4 since i have worn the jersey...eskine rocks a 41-11-4 record

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Sexy lumberjack has been playing better since he came back from his hiatus.

jmu

Yes, I think it was Carolina.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

my guess is going to be that Satan will be called up after they make room for him later.

once the deadline is passed, any players claimed off waivers cannot play in the playoffs. Non-playoff teams wouldnt claim anyone, thered be no point. And again, no point for the playoff teams to pick someone up after the deadline since they cant even play.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Breathe, stevo, have some M&Ms. Who is this "everyone else" you speak of? Seems to me Detroit didn't. (Bad example, but bear with me here) We've got to trust that GMGM thought the price was too high for what we would be getting back. And lets face it, there weren't really that many awesome guys "available". Go with me on this: This season was kind of like shopping at TJ Maxx. Sometimes, you find something cool, but you don't really go in expecting to find a pair of D&G sweats-jeans thingies like Ovi's. And if you find a pair, they're probably knock-offs anyways and they're hella expensive. I'd rather make the playoffs, go to the Conference Finals and lose and then do something cool over the off-season, maybe make a draft day splash. Do you take a long weekend in the summer and try to go to Tahiti or do you wait until the winter when you've got a week plus of vacation time saved up and you're freezing your butt off?
Alright, I'm done with the awful analogies. Carry on!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Osfan092589, Nyls has a NMC, which means he can only be bought-out or traded to a team he approves of. I guess he could go on waivers, but he'd have to be okay with it. If the Caps threatened to buy him out, he could technically request waivers instead.

Greg, Yeah, it was them. I remember that season fondly. I won 20 bucks off my brother because I said they would win it all. First and last time I won anything sports related off him.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

comeon..something i can understand...tjmaxx or d&g not so much

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks again jmu.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | March 4, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Not moving young, promising prospects for a player who may only play for less than two years with the team was a smart move by general manager George McPhee and Ted Leonsis. This franchise had a plan years ago to build a Stanley Cup contender from within, and it has done that with great success so far. There is no need to ruin the future to win now when the team is already capable of winning now.

Posted by: dcox50 | March 4, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

It's a bad example to say Detroit didn't do anything at the deadline.

They already re-signed Zetterberg, and they surely are going to put together an offer to keep Hossa, who is UFA after the season. I think they have at least one more key player to get re-signed, as well (though the actual player escapes me at the moment).

I'm guessing no one knows better than their front office what the cap situation might look like next year and beyond given the economic considerations. If I was a Detroit fan, I would have wanted a goalie - but they can't complain, I think it's been made pretty clear that the Red Wings FO knows what they are doing.

Posted by: writered21 | March 4, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

_stevo, ummmmmmm...ummmmm...going to Target. They've got some cool stuff, but you don't go in expecting to find a signed Ovi jersey. And if you do, its probably because some guys trying to sell it to you on the sly and you're going to pay through the nose for it. (?) Or going to Walmart & expecting to find a Taylor Made golf club? (The fact that I'm a girl is obviously on display here since I can't get past the shopping analogy)

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

their choice is franzen or hossa.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

XM said earlier the NHL resigned with Versus for another 3 years.

Just think how smart I'd be if I drove around more often? :)

Posted by: austinsteve | March 4, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

taylor made golf clubs notbad

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Caps win by not trading anybody...

The future is tomorrow

Posted by: gtydings | March 4, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

_stevo, Yes! I hit on something recognizable! To be honest, my set is Callaway, but I like the Taylor Made brand better.

austinsteve, lol. Good for them, another three years of occasional, poorly chosen games, blackouts and no coverage past the game.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

im sorry but you just got cooler and cooler. hockey knowledge and golf knowledge....

Posted by: _stevo | March 5, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

@Stevo- forget knowledge, I think the key phrase here is MY SET, i mean seriously, she plays! (for the record,10year old TM burnersi got handed down,great irons IMHO, off brand woods and an Odyssey 2ball, not that i can play to save my life)

"To be honest, my set is Callaway, but I like the Taylor Made brand better.
Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 11:49 PM"

Posted by: doncosmic | March 5, 2009 4:28 AM | Report abuse

jmu,

Maybe there never really was a Boo...

Maybe she was a figment of our collective imaginations...

Maybe we shared a dream...

Maybe she was like a spirit who danced in on a breeze before leaving us as quickly as she came...

Maybe she's just busy

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 5, 2009 5:15 AM | Report abuse

@ maven1918

At the time McPhee signed him he was considered a very good center. Sometimes things don't pan out. I was mostly talking about the present. At present, Nylander's big contract was the reason our hands were tied.

Posted by: ranndino | March 5, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I have reading these blogs for awhile now. Many people are screaming for trades. I don,t think any of you said anything in December when the Caps won 12 out of 13 games. When they play with a purpose and desire I think they can play with anyone. Defense only works when everyone is on the same page. The next 17 games will be interesting. Go Caps!

Posted by: nimrodrsp | March 5, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse