Caps put up a fight, but go down in overtime

Morning roundup

The Caps rallied from a three-goal deficit, then forced overtime, only to yield a goal with eight seconds left to lose in Montreal, 6-5, in ending their team-record run at 14 games.

One bright spot: Brooks Laich's first hat trick. Still, the final score isn't something the Caps want to remember.

"This is 14 times worse than just one loss," winger Tomas Fleischmann said. "This one hurts worse that the others. I'm really upset right now. We had opportunities to win it, but we played really sloppy on our defensive zone. You can't win if you play that sloppy." | Full story »

*Short postgame wrap-up: Michal Neuvirth is "not hurt," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. (Plus some other notes)

A very brief morning roundup (hey, it's my day off today):

*Canadiens, Caps put on a show. (Habs Inside Out)

*Well, they gave it the ol' college try. (NHL.com)

*Another crazy night, minus the crazy win. (Loose Pucks)

*Can't win 'em all. (Joe B)

*Bog links: Ovechkin puts puck into net, Leonsis talks, Caps on Snowmageddon, the fan on what he said to Jordan Staal, Ed Frankovic.

*Reaction from Storming the Crease, Caps Blog, Japers, Russian Machine.

*Ovie got robbed! (Alex Ovetjkin)

Tonight's matchup:

Washington Capitals (41-12-7)
Ottawa Senators (34-22-4)
Scotiabank Place, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet (find your channel)
Radio: 1500 AM

*Sens preview | Caps preview

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 11, 2010; 5:35 AM ET
 | Tags: Montreal Canadiens, Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps suffer loss, injuries in Montreal
Next: Boudreau: Varlamov set to start in Ottawa

Comments

Congratulations to the Caps for an historic, great run. Even in defeat, to be able to come back and tie it was absolutely incredible. Had we gotten to the SO, IO think we would have seen another victory.

I'm not sure another win would have served our goals. Reading last night's comments there were the predictible chants that our defense sucks and we must make moves at the deadline to go deep in the playoffs. But the overriding fact is that we got COMPLACENT with our defense the last few games, overconfident that we could outscore anyone. We got lazy and sacrificed a team D game plan.

During the streak we averaged 2.36 goals against, even including the huge scores we've allowed over the past few.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 11, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

(didn't finish my post)...

over games 2-11 of the streak, we gave up an average of 1.8 goals a game. Good defense and excellent goaltending were a big part of our streak.

The point is, the goals against binge we've allowed is uncharacteristic of our play of late. That's not to say that we can't make improvements to our blue line, but only to say that we've got plenty of improvements available to us on the chalkboard, and the ability to execute.

A great run, Caps.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 11, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

The habit lately of playing iffy defense and plain lousy pk finally bit the Caps in the a$$. I hope this wakes the team up to playing sound hockey. And hats-off to Laich and the Caps offense for trying to pull the defense's bacon out of the fire, again.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 11, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Great run, start another tonight.

So Flash was 21% on the dots last night and Morrison was -5 the past 3 games when we have scored 15 goals. We are not ok down the middle for the playoffs.

Flash has stepped and has done a decent job at C, especially points wise, but losing draws at that clip is pretty alarming. Gomez, Plekanec destroyed him last night winning faceoffs. I'd love see him playing less minutes at C or moved back to LW. Unfortunately, moving him back to LW would mean we'd need to address getting 2 C's. Morrison........ sigh......

Posted by: JSchon | February 11, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Great run indeed. Now the pressure is off. The Olympics are looming, the streak will not be on their minds. Let's hope they remember the feeling of losing this game and game 7 vs. the PEns last year as motivation. Now they can come back from the break, get into another grove and peak for the playoffs.
I'd sacrifice a 17 gamer (the record) for a Stanley Cup

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 11, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I am still bummed that they waved off Ovie's goal. He truly is an android...he's not human. Russian machine never breaks!!!!!

Looking forward to a rebound win tonight.

Go Caps!!!!!

Posted by: crooks_c | February 11, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

hellava run boys!

looked a little rough in our end, thought we lost alot of the battles on the boards and had a really tough time with the break-out. not taking anything away from the Habs,cause they came 2 play and as banged up as they are. we all have off days and it showed last night, thats history so lets not dwell on it and go lay wood to the Sens! oh and how the hell did Ovi's goal not count?

Posted by: bigBinMd | February 11, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Sonyask. Sucks to see them score with 7 seconds left. Honest to God, (as much as I despise shootouts) I think we could've beat them, especially with Price in net. It's a shame. Schultz really didn't play Plekanec well on that OT goal. I would've liked to see him stay with him and not let him Plekanec have his way like that, but like many pointed out, Schultz isn't great in man to man situations.

I know it's not time to panic but like JSchon said, we've now given up 15 goals in three games. Not to mention 5 against the low scoring Rangers and 6 against the low scoring Canadiens. I guess it's bound to happen since we've won so many games? But the defense must tighten up. I feel this team is capable of playing good defense sometimes. It's just these occasional games where they don't play well at all, and it finally cost them last night.

On a side note, if you care, I actually had a hard time sleeping last night. This feeling of losing is so unsual...

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

I forget who asked in the last thread about Ov's and Knubles talk. From what I remember Ov was streaking down the side towards the net and maybe he thought he had a better angle then Knuble. That's my .02.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 11, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I think that the defense has improved from last year, not just the d-men but the overall team effort. Also gotta love the "we're never outta it" attitude of this team.

However this current group of d-men is basically the same as last year minus Jurcina and plus the much improved Schultz. Is that gonna be enough to get over the hump? I'm not so sure...

unless they're counting on either Alzner or Carlson to play a major role in the playoffs, I believe they still need to add a veteran, playoff-tested d-man.

Posted by: joek443 | February 11, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

@rachel

You have never watched NBA officials at work. They're a disgrace.

Posted by: JSchon | February 11, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: You make a great point. NBA refs ARE horrible. The stars get all the calls in the NBA. LeBron James travels like 10 times a game and it never gets called.
Ridiculous.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I cant believe we lost...we arent making the playoffs now..

Posted by: SA-Town | February 11, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

loved the streak but have to trust our eyes. the D this team can play from time to time can put them behind the 8-ball in a hurry, especially against a good team come playoff time (aka Pens game 7). schultz and poti really struggled with the small quick forwards last night.

great comeback attitude, but hope they can play 60 min of 3rd period hockey when it counts!

Posted by: fnkyniedls | February 11, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"You have never watched NBA officials at work. They're a disgrace."

That's because the NBA officials have the game fixed!

Posted by: eorr | February 11, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

nba refs are slightly above WWE refs on the legit scale

Posted by: fnkyniedls | February 11, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Why didn't they wipe out the Flyers goal in game 7 of the playoffs two years ago when a Flyer knocked Mike Green into Huet and they scored?? These refs should be fired. NHL refs are by far the worst refs out of the 4 major sports."

I think out of all the sports, NHL is just the toughest sport to call for Refs/linesmen. Fast game, contact sport, very tough.

That being said, it would be nice to see Refs being held more accountable for some of their bad calls. Maybe they are, and fans are just not being made aware of it, but maybe sometimes a fine for a blown call would do. In (very) recent memory, calling a phantom call in the last 4 minutes of the game last Sunday, or the disallowed OV goal last night are perfect example of those blown calls. I have not seen a replay of the disallowed goal (besides what they showed during the game), so, I cannot remember exactly how far away the other linesmen and ref were from the play, but I find it odd that the ref that was right there by the play called it a good goal, only for it to be turned over by the ref and linesmen that appeared to be further away.

Initially, I felt that that would not be a goal, because I thought they were going to call goaltender interference. Then on replay I saw that the puck was in fact in motion, and going in (may have already been under the goalie) by the time he was in fact interfered with.

Basically, I agree with BB's reasoning. If the ref that was close to the play initially wiped out the goal, I would have felt okay about it. But the fact that he called it a good goal, and then it was not video reviewed to overturn in (and if it was, I still think there was good evidence on why the goal should have been allowed), I think this was pretty mishandled.

Then again, if that goal happened against the Caps, and was allowed, we would all be very upset (As Rachel pointed it, it has happened against us...) It is a tricky call to make, but in the end I think it was mishandled by the refs/linesmen.

I think those type of breaks even out in the long run (I cannot remember when, but I feel that a goal was scored against the Caps a month or two ago, and was disallowed, and being the empathetic fan that I was, I felt that it should have been allowed).

I am just impressed that OV was able to lay it all out there like that, and that the goal did end up in the net....he sure is something else!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 11, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

We must recall our ambassador to Canada in preparation for war.

Posted by: uncatim | February 11, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Anybody else notice that the streak ended when BB changed the forward lines???? I know he had no choice...I am just saying that my ridiculous superstitions have been validated.

Posted by: capscoach | February 11, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

I see your sarcasm, here! (And your parody of a "chicken litte" type post.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 11, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

This point irks me as well and the Caps have a little history here. Two years back against Tampa at VC, a similar play happened where a Tampa defenseman playing the puck in the right faceoff circle gets checked by a Caps forward, knocking the dman back into the Tampa goalie who had inexplicably come way out of the crease to try and play the puck. The two get tangled and the Caps end up potting an easy goal. The goal ends up being waived off, the officials citing "incidental interference" in which case the goal is disallowed but there is no penalty assessed. I'd guess this was the same situation last night as there was no penalty and the goal was overturned.

The nerve racking thing about it is this should have been the call when the Flyers go up 2-1 in game 7 of the first round of the playoffs. I believe it was ShaMo who played the puck and then gets checked into Huet by a Flyer forward and Kapanen scores while Huet is still tangled and trying to get up.

So to summarize, this rule only appears to be in place to overturn Caps goals.

Posted by: cainoo7x | February 11, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Lot of dicussion on the board around updating our D. I agree. My only question is why not play carlson and alzner for 10 games and see what they can do. They both have the footspeed and fit in the up tempo game that caps play. It seems the price for kubina, hamius, and other is high. why not give those guys a chance. also i would like to see MP85 up here playing third line center.

Posted by: samb99 | February 11, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

@samb99

Sounds like a plan. As in a much better plan than trading any of our red headed forwards. At some point, it's time to give the kids a fair chance.

Even though I would like to see better production from our red heads. Along with better defense.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 11, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Ahh Chimmers, you weren't supposed to get injured. Now you messed everything up! (LOL)

Seriously, we know Jason C. could not help getting injured.

Get well soon, Jason. (And Tom P. and Varly)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 11, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I watched the game last night. Poti played horrific the first period +. I agree with Flash about the Caps just playing sloppy in the defensive zone - gave away too many opportunities.

The deadline is looming, I would love to see a solid defenseman in the lineup and would gladly move a Poti or Schultz to make it happen.

Goaltending - well, it's hard to knock goaltending after winning 14 straight, but if you are serious about going for the Cup - I'd consider what's on the market.

I don't think Chimera has upgraded the offense in any way/shape form - even from a checking line perspective, so that's a wash to me.

Posted by: Jaymagz | February 11, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

They posted it on Japers' Rink:

"Explanation on Philadelphia’s second goal at 9:47 of the second period – Washington’s Shaone Morrisonn plays the puck and Philadelphia’s Patrick Thoresen lays a legal body check on Morrisonn. No Philadelphia player makes contact with Washington goaltender Huet (Rule 69). This play is not reviewable."

Yeah, pretty much NO explanation needed. This is basically the same thing as last night yet that goal in game 7 stood. Complete CRAP.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

if Varly is healthy, goaltending won't be a problem in the playoffs... what's out there is Marty Turco, is he better than Varly?? I don't think so

Posted by: joek443 | February 11, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@Jaymagz

On your points. While another solid defenseman would be helpful, I do not necessarily agree with trading Schultz. While he didn't have one of his better days yesterday, I think he has plenty of upside.

I also don't think Turco would be an upgrade for us at goal.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 11, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Schultz, Poti and Green are their top 3... if you're gonna upgrade the defense, it's the other 3 you need to upgrade, not those 3

Posted by: joek443 | February 11, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@Jaymagz

I also don't think Turco would be an upgrade for us at goal.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 11, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Besides that point, even if Turco was a bit of an upgrade, given his contract, the Caps wouldn't have the cap space to make any other moves. GMGM and the Caps probably have one bullet to fire, so to speak, so trading for a 2nd or 3rd line center or a top 4 dman has to be the priority.

Posted by: cainoo7x | February 11, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@joek443

I agree that those 3 are the top people on our defense, although they've had their share of critics.

I figure Green and Schultz at least are keepers.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 11, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Turco is worse than Theodore. joek443 is right, Turco is no upgrade.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Poti was brutal all night. I am not saying get rid of him...be he had a poor night. I think he was benched, more then 'injured' in the 3rd period.

Posted by: netminder71 | February 11, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: netminder71 | February 11, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. During games 2-10 of the streak, the entire D was playing well, and Poti really stepped up his game. However, it appears that the clock has struck midnight and Tom Poti has turned back into, well, Tom Poti.

Posted by: cainoo7x | February 11, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Then again, maybe and injury is what caused Poti to have a brutal night??

Whatever it is, hope he is okay, and good to go soon. He has generally been playing pretty well as of late.

If not, hopefully Carlson or Alzner would be able to make it up to Ottawa tonight, if that is what needs to be done.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 11, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"Then again, maybe and injury is what caused Poti to have a brutal night??"

( oops! should be "an" injury...)

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 11, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

BB would never bench Poti, Green, Ovie, Backs and maybe a couple others no matter what... he's not from the Mike Keenan school of coaching

Posted by: joek443 | February 11, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Poti is not great but he is definitely one of the Caps top 4 defenseman right now. The ideal situation would be to acquire a top 4 defenseman which would enable the Caps to drop one of the top 4 guys to the 3rd pairing.

I know everyone (including me) thinks Alzner is going to be a very good defenseman, but there has to be a reason why BB isn't playing him over the likes of Erskine and Sloan.

Erskine and Sloan are fine regular season players but neither should be a top 6 guy in the playoffs. I'm starting to think BB doesn't like Alzner for some reason, maybe his style of play or maybe he has just been overrated.

With Alzner's age and the guys who are playing D for the Caps, there needs to be a good reason why he isn't playing. And I don't want to hear so he is eliible to play in the AHL. He only had to not be on the roster for 5 of the last 20 NHL games before the break and he has passed that already.

I think they need to start playing him consistently.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 11, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think they need to start playing him consistently.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 11, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

There are several good reasons that he hasn't been playing. For one, given the bonuses in his contract, if he were to play in the NHL the entire season, he'd be twice as expensive as Jeff Schultz. Two, he's the one guy who can be sent down to Hershey without having to clear waivers.

Posted by: cainoo7x | February 11, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

i wonder if the opportunity still exists to get a jackman and a center from the blues. I know they are looking for a young goalie. so holtby pick/prospect/morrison twins. i wonder if that would or could get us jackman and jay Mclcement

Posted by: samb99 | February 11, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Can't win em all...great run!

That being said - same story as last year...can you win a Cup beating teams 6-5 in playoff games? Doubtful. Glaring needs for imposing SAH Dman and a second line center with size.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 11, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

You guys are such homers...

Don't throw numbers at me, because when you play for a bad team, your numbers are not going to be good.

Theo is NOT, I repeat NOT better than Turco.

Just like Giguere "sucked" as you homers put it...well, he gets traded to Toronto and pitches 2 straight shutouts.

I have an idea, let's just let Georgie boy do his job and we can stop saying out players are ALL the top in the league...

We have a very nice mix of stars and hard workers. You take some of our players and put them elsewhere...they are not nearly as good.

You win with Role Players (Laich, Steckel, Bradley, Gordon, Schultz) and Good Goaltending. And you count on your stars to show up and play...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 11, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else remember when H. Sedin was leading the league by a fair number of points roughly 2-3 weeks ago? He's now 10 back of OV! I love how Alex consistently puts up points; that is why he will win another Art Ross this year. Other players score in streaks, then go cold (as Sedin has the past 4 games), while OV puts up 1-3 points almost every single game.

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 11, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Ovie is the Man...and Backstrom is quickly gaining...

He is past Cindy Crosby! OMG Canada!!! You have a Russian, and 2 Swedes ahead of your golden boy!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 11, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Alzner can fit under the cap, that is not a worry this year.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 11, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Guess who's back tonight? VARLY's starting!!!!! YAY VARLY!!!!!!!!! =) ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps: well then what's your reasoning for saying Theodore is not better than Turco??

So excited to see Varly!!!!!! It's definitely gonna be fun tonight!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Finally...varly is back...

Theo...8 goals in the last 5 periods (and 2 overtimes)...

Must be preparing for the playoffs...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 11, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

i think almost everyone can agree that the current group of caps d men can be improved, be it grit, quicker afoot, better at clearing the puck, solid s@h, crease clearing, etc.
making a change leads to two questions:
how much do you give up to get this guy (that most likely will not possess most of these skills?
and
if the forwards are not carrying their load of d play - will this player really be any more effective than what is currently on the roster?

IMO - making a move, just to make a move will not help that much unless the entire team is on the same page.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 11, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

*punches the mute button on SoaringCaps*

Ahh, much better!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 11, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

You are so right Kirk.

Don't make a move to make one...but I think Georgie is smart enough to handle that.

Remember he brought Cooke and Federov in with Huet...that was just what we needed...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 11, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I have done nothing but searching/reading on the internet in RE: to that goal being disallowed last night. I am really upset about it.

It really does seem like there are these ambiguous, grey area rulings that come down with no rhyme or reason sometimes and that is very frustrating.

Perhaps the NHL should institute a "coaches challenge" similar to what the NFL has. ie...BB could challenge the disallowance of the goal and have it reviewed by Toronto. If the challenge fails, then you lose your timeout.

I am just peeved cause not only did it cost us a goal in this close game with the win streak on the line, but it also wiped out, what I think is one of Ovie's top 5 goals ever.

Shame on you NHL for your consistent inconsistency!!!

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | February 11, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

That a boy HOMER LeftCoast... :)

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 11, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 11, 2010 12:11 PM

this is true - but that team was not nearly what this team is. i'm not sure many here thought that team would even make the playoffs - winning the div and a playoff spot on the last day of the season. they were in playoff 'mode' for weeks before the playoffs began.
that team needed something to shake them up to get them going.
this team needs some tweaks that will not disrupt what they have going already.

i also believe in GMGM to make the right moves as needed for this team

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 11, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

varly to start tonight

Posted by: _stevo | February 11, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Varly is in.

Posted by: elicea | February 11, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Would it be cruel for me to wish I was snowed in with you guys than here in LA, where the sun is out? As usual. Blah. Enjoyed it when the snowpocalypse came in last week and made it dangerous to leave Verizon after the Thrashers game and "dangerous" to get to the Penguins game. Good times, good times....here's to a victory tonight to get the boys hungry for another round after the Olympics.

Hey, SoaringCaps, Chipotle or Bar Louie? My treat. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 11, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

One more comment on the disappointing end to the OT last night. Note to Caps' defenders: When time is running down in OT, and the opposition has a quality scoring chance, TAKE A PENALTY--YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL THE WHOLE TWO MINUTES! Had #55 grabbed, tripped, hooked, or tackled his man in front of the net, the Caps would only have needed to kill a few seconds before the game went to a shoot-out.

Posted by: jhershb | February 11, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Just to add to Crosby's woes...TSN has him rated as the 9th best player in the NHL with Ovi, Green and Backstrom all ahead of him in the ratings. Alex S. is rated 11th.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 11, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse