Caps Re-Sign Collins, Sloan

The Caps have inked two more depth players, re-signing free agent defensemen Sean Collins and Tyler Sloan. Collins got a two-year contract and Sloan signed a one year deal.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 18, 2009; 7:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: GMGM on Washington Post Live
Next: Ovechkin Wins Pearson Award

Comments

Good stuff. Glad to see them both back in the organization!
Now if only NHL would realize some of us don't get Versus or the NHL Network. Argh.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

whoo! Good depth signings.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Don't know too much about Collins, but I am glad to see Sloan back.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Also, I don't know if it has been discussed or not, but Sloan's sister was a Canadian national swimmer who was set to compete in the 2000 Olympics. Tragically, she was killed in an auto accident in March of 2000.

"Tyler used the dedication his sister showed in earning a spot on the Canadian Olympic team as inspiration in his own hockey career. His sister's journal of her attempts to qualify for the Olympics motivated Tyler: "Swimmers are tremendous athletes. Their work ethic is unparalleled. I saw what it took for her to get there. That was important because I didn't realize what it took to get to this level," he told the Globe and Mail newspaper."

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Also;

Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma received a call today from President Barack Obama, who congratulated Bylsma and the Penguins on winning the Stanley Cup.

“To hear from the President of the United States, and have him congratulate our team on this accomplishment, is such an incredible honor that I’m almost speechless,” Bylsma said.

“President Obama is dealing with so many important issues facing the country and the world. It says a lot about him that he would take the time to place that call. It is a highlight I will never forget.”

Maybe Obama should work on that change he promised...(instead of just doing the same thing the previous administration did..but that is not for here..:))

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

u can watch online at www.cbc.ca though

Posted by: keghauling | June 18, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

keghauling, you are my new favorite person! I guess I'll see just how fast my new internet is.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Is the online feed on an hour delay too? I'm not getting anything from the player winder.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Kane is bad at this..

@JMU

All you missed was a very awkward RnB performance by Robin Thicke and....Chakakahn(lol).

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I love Konstantinov.

Big props for him to still be active in the hockey world.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin for Pearson. Somewhat of a surprise to me, but congrats.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

"winder" Geez. Window*. Well, the CBC feed is not working for me. :-(

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Datsyuk for Selke.

SCREW YOU RICHARDS!

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

who starts an award show this early besides the NHL?? LOL

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Good to see the red shark out there, he's one of my favs.

Hockey players have to be the most uncomfortable public speakers in sports. Cheer up Kane!

1 for 1 so far. I'm saying we go 3 for 3. I'm feeling Greenie for Norris.

Posted by: Moose33 | June 18, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

So we've got Mason with the Calder, Datsyuk with the Selke, and Ovi with the Pearson. Anything else get handed out yet?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I remember when the duo of Pat Riggin and Al Jensen won the Jennings for the Caps in the 80's.. just another meaningless award, kinda like the President's Trophy

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Bruins for Jennings. (no surprise)

Sullivan for that one about perseverance.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

two Caps killers on stage, Bossy and Hrudey.. LOL

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Datsyuk for the Byng. (again)

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

tominfl - reports are that Sloan re-signed for something like $620,000, which is less than the $725 (or was it $750K) of our bet. Looks like one beer coming my way!

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

yea dosent start in canada till 830

Posted by: keghauling | June 18, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Do you guys notice how few cheers there are whenever the Pens and the Stanley Cup are mentioned?

Posted by: tess2201 | June 18, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

hope Lidstrom doesn't win his 7th Norris trophy tonight. Not just becauese of Green but when I think about the great defensemen who have played in this league, just among those I've watched played in the last 25 years, he's nowhere near the best. He just hasn't had the competition for the trophy like the years when Bourque, Coffey, Langway and Chelios did. Scott Stevens never even won ONE. That's not Lidstrom's fault obviously but just shows the lack of quality defensemen in the NHL the last several years.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Can we go one post without taking a shot at the Pens?

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Luongo got boo'd.

hahahahahaha.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

MORE CHAKAKAHN?@?@?@

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Chaka Khan?? you gotta be kidding me... LOL I'd even settle for Celine Dionne

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil, They're not boooing him, they're "Luuuuuuuuuu-ing" him. Well, I'm assuming they are since I still can't watch it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

who picked Roenick for the host?? he's had a pretty good career but I mostly remember him for two things.

how he disgraced himself and our country when he played in the olympics and how pompous he looked and sounded just before the NHL lockout.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

geez, how many plactic surgeries has Tony Espo had??

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl - it was Louuuuuuuuuu, not booooo.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Considering he started out in the ECHL, I liked what I saw from Collins this year. Im glad he was resigned.

Posted by: cc415 | June 18, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse