Caps Re-Sign Laing to One-Year Deal

From the Caps:

The Washington Capitals have re-signed left wing Quintin Laing to a one-year contract, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Laing, 30, played one game for Washington last season. He was recalled by the Caps from the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League on March 19 and played the entire game (10:19) at Tampa Bay despite suffering a torn spleen on his second shift in the first period. Laing ended the game with a +1 rating.
The 6'2", 210-pound native of Rosetown, Saskatchewan, spent most of the season with the Calder Cup champion Bears. He tallied 25 points (9g-16a) in 55 regular-season games before his recall. Laing missed more than two months with his spleen injury, but he returned to the Bears during the Calder Cup playoffs and had two goals and two assists in nine games.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 17, 2009; 10:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Vegas, Baby
Next: Update on Nylander and Other Items of Interest

Comments

This is the best news I've heard in weeks.

Posted by: 1hockeymom | June 17, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay! Have you been holding on to these or something? You need to spread them out, girl! :D

JK... Keep 'em comin'!

Posted by: Greg S. | June 17, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, I know -- awful timing!

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | June 17, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

As someone mentioned in a previous post, could someone change the photo as it appears on http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/sports/capitals/ ??

Us Caps fans are tired of seeing Cindy-

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | June 17, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Any chance we'll see him up again with the Capitals? It'd be nice to see him actually play since I've heard and read a lot of good things about him.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 17, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I concur with TheOriginalEgon. Not a fan of Crosby and Bettman giving NHL fans the finger with their lovefest around the Stanley Cup. =/ I'd rather have the picture of Ovi on the cover of NHL2K10 than that hideous picture. Maybe someone has some other ideas to replace that picture like asap. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 17, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Laing should be up on the Caps. He was our best PK guy two years ago. He would also throw his body on the ice to block shots. We didnt have a guy like that this year and it really hurt us. Any thoughts?

Posted by: capsfan5252 | June 17, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Laing and Boyd Gordon are basically the same role.

If your gonna put Laing in the lineup, you would have to sit a guy like Flash. Some might think that is OK, but Flash did score 20 goals...so..thats your choice...

Posted by: SA-Town | June 17, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan5252 | June 17, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Brooks Laich is on line 1 for you.

Posted by: Section117 | June 17, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

but remember Boyd Gordon isn't a guarantee to be back. Maybe this signals the end of Gordon in Washington?

Does anyone know if this is a one way or two way deal??

Posted by: gman2797 | June 17, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Matt Bradley is on line 2

Posted by: Moose33 | June 17, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I thought we were OK (not good or great) on PK, but that's his main benefit to the Caps. He may also be one to crash the net, because apparently there's a disconnect between his brain and body in terms of feeling pain. I'd guess that's where his production came from. He's not known as a goal scorer. 2g2a is a lot in a short time for him.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 17, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

My bad, I thought you said there wasn't a guy willing to throw his face infront of a fist

Posted by: Moose33 | June 17, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Gordon's a good 3rd or 4th line center. If I were running the Caps (which I'm decidedly not), I'd keep him. He's got a proven track record, and my only concern is that ongoing battle with back spasms. And he comes very cheaply considering he's an elite face-off man (ranked 9th in the NHL) and his talent for killing penalties.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 17, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Love Quintin Laing. He is that "Rudy" kind of guy. Not a skill guy and lacks speed, but he definitely was impressive on the PK. The effort, heart, and desire are all there.

Posted by: _Mark | June 17, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

So you could say Laing is Boyd Gordon insurance?

Posted by: superpaqman | June 17, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Lainger's back for another year! Hopefully he'll get to see a little more ice time up with the Caps this time around!
Another thing is that he can heal remarkably fast, probably from his inability to feel pain. (Or something like that) After all, he managed to leap in for the last bit of the Bears' run!

Posted by: 4RBears | June 17, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Laing's a winger, Gordon plays center. Most nights, the Caps throw Steckel and Gordon out on the ice for the PK because if one gets tossed, the other will take the face off and win the draw somewhere between 55-60% of the time. That alone is a huge advantage. Laing can't replace Gordon's face-off ability.

Steckel and Gordon, combined, made a whooping $1.25 million this past season. Steckel already signed a nice new contract, and I assume Gordo will get a pay raise as well should the Caps decide to retain his services. But they're still likely the cheapest pair of elite face off/PK guys in the whole NHL.

I like Laing, but I think there's honestly a reason he spent his time in Hershey this past season. He's a nice call-up for injuries, but he's not quite at the full time NHL level. But hey, he gets paid to play the sport of his choice, and I'm stilling here avoiding reviewing policy papers, so.......

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 17, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully the main page photo will be changed tomorrow night to Ovie holding some hardware.

Posted by: CapsChick | June 17, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Green...

Posted by: CapsChick | June 17, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

i don't know...I kinda hope Green wouldn't win. Memories of game 7's embarrassing collapse will rush back in my mind if I see him up there on stage. I can already hear the Pens fans everywhere mocking him for a great defensive job he did on game 7.

Posted by: Andoy | June 17, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

then it would just once again show that Penguins fans who post here have a tendency to be ignorant of hockey. The awards are voted on immediately after the regular season and to bring up the post-season in the discussion about who did or did not deserve awards is ridiculous.

That said, Nic Lidstrom deserves some extra points for getting his, ahem, manhood operated on in the middle of the playoffs and not saying a word about it.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 17, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd settle for a blank space where that picture is at.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I got the text this morning as I was leaving. Good to hear, Laing brings exactly what we need to our lineup.

To the guy asking about if it is a one-way or two-way, I am just going to assume that it is one-way, and they plan on keeping him up all season so they don't waste all that money. FYI, one/two way does not simply mean they do or don't have to go through waivers. I know a lot of hockey people seem to want to think that. One/Two way just controls pay, not if they have to go through waivers.
With all that said, I am just hoping that it is a one-way and Laing will be with the big boys all season. (anticipating an RFA to not get an extension or a trade)

@RedBirdie

I don't know about all that. I do agree with you that Steckel is one of the best 3/4 line role players and face off man in the league, but Gordon has a little ways to go I think before I peg him as the same.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

And with that said, I think that Gordon shows sign of breaking out of his delineation, and possibly stepping up to manning a 2nd line in the not so near future. But I think he needs to work on the simple things.

In contrast, Steckel may very well always be a role player, 3/4 line type of player.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Matt Bradley is on line 2

Posted by: Moose33 | June 17, 2009 11:10 AM |

Bold.

Is he ready to man a line with Semin?

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, God. I read that entirely wrong.

I thought you were saying Bradley on the 2nd line, not a followup to Section117's joke.

Man, I failed.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Agreeing with fellow posters, put up a pic of a Quintin grin and take Cindy down.

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | June 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey, that's great. Any chance we can get a picture of Laing for the front page of the sports section? I'm getting a little tired of coming here and seeing our arch-nemesis holding the stanley cup.

Posted by: aybee27 | June 17, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, yeah, I hear ya. I'm also golf editor so this day is very very very busy, but I promise to make a photo change happen within the hour.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | June 17, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan5252 | June 17, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Agree totally. It was asinine that he wasn't up with the big club for most of the year. He made the Steckel-Brads line really go that one game he played. When they tried Gordon on that line it didn't go anywhere.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Decent blog on what a top D-Man could cost us.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 17, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Now that Heatley has asked for a trade, the Caps have plenty of pieces to deal, and we could use some secondary scoring, what are the odds we might be able to dump one of those non-attractive contracts with some real bright talent and get him?

Posted by: dodo1939 | June 17, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Andrew Gordon is a better prospect than is Boyd Gordon. Gordo's going to find it harder and harder to keep cracking this lineup even with the exodus of some players (brash, fedorov, kozlov etc)

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

on what planet is Heatley an attractive option? He has a massive contract with 4 years left, his production is down, and he brings a ton of baggage with him.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 17, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I think he would have been up more if he didn't tear his spleen. Actually in 'the game of inches' of playoff hockey, it isn't beyond reason to imagine him being the piece to help the Caps finish the Pens before it reached the 7th game.

Posted by: cleanfront | June 17, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Laing and Boyd Gordon are basically the same role.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 17, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Laing is a better 3rd or 4th liner than is Flash, Flash is a better 2nd liner. So if Flash can't crack our 2nd line next year, then Laing will be a better option to go to for the checking lines. Maybe Osala/Beagle/Bourque/Andrew Gordon all get a chance to make the team next season which puts players like Flash and BGordon on the possible bubble. Flash proved worthless in the playoffs, his strength (or lackthereof) was a major issue.

He can score in the reg season. But can he be effective in the playoffs/?

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

clean - he tore his spleen AFTER his recall, not before. He battled injuries here and there but the main reason he wasn't up was Boudreau fell into the camp that Laing just wasn't "skilled" enough to be in our lineup. I dunno..is Matt Cooke "skilled" enough to be in the Pens lineup? Every team needs players like Cooke and Laing. The guys who will do anything they can to win. We needed more of that attitude vs the Pens, I'd agree

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 17, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

funny, thats what the Chicago Blackhawks thought about Shawn Thornton when he played at Norfolk. The Ducks used him simply as a thug. It took the Boston Bruins to think 'outside the box' before Thornton became a truly valuable role player.
Laing can be a valuable role player on the Caps also. And not just in spot duty. He's a perfect fit on our checking lines.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

and for the record - Quintin's lack of alleged speed sure doesn't hamper him on the forecheck. He's a better more effective forechecker than half the rest of our forwards who apparently have a ton more speed but maybe don't like to use it their full advantage :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Good news about Laing signing. I like him and Stecks together on the PK. I'd have no problem with Quint replacing B.Gordon on the roster.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 17, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | June 17, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Why? Is there something going on this weekend? Are men in trousers going to walk around and hit a little white ball every once in a while?

Posted by: Moose33 | June 17, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The Caps will need Laing and Aucoin because they possess the commitment to do whatever it takes to win. These are role players the Caps need to excel further into the second season next year.

Posted by: coolcraig | June 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I say don't mess up one of the more successful lines we had during the second round:

laich/stecks/brads

Posted by: Andoy | June 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Good guy to have, should something happen to Boyd Gordan. Could fill that role nicely with a non-torn spleen.

Posted by: dcsportsfan3 | June 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

laich/stecks/brads

Posted by: Andoy | June 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The problem with that line is that Brooks Laich can be more helpful on the 2nd line. Remember that Boudreau tried to jumpstart his other lines by borrowing Laich from the 3rd line. That made our 3rd line weaker. Now if Laing hadn't gotten hurt and he was in the lineup, Laich would have been able to play on the 2nd line and make it stronger while the 3rd line wouldn't have missed a beat with Laing in there.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

how many other players on Hershey could fill Laing spot though?

Posted by: Blevinsand3 | June 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

There is an awful lot to consider for next year...

Posted by: Blevinsand3 | June 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Lindsay, for the new picture. I can take the post-it off that part of my computer screen at work now.

Looking forward to seeing who makes it up from Hershey.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes, there is an awful lot to consider for next year. Brash may still be in the line-up. We still need an enforcer. Don't count him out yet.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 17, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it but don't count on the Caps having an enforcer next year. I think after they played without Brashear, and the fact that neither the Wings nor the Pens played with a tough guy (Godard was benched all playoffs), they think they can get some more skill into the lineup.

I don't think Brash will be back and I don't see Kip Brennan getting a shot either. It'll take a serious transgression against our skill players before we add another tough guy to the lineup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@ Lindsay_Applebaum

Do you happen to know what time the Poker Tourny starts out in Vegas??

Posted by: ThePat | June 17, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, thank you, Lindsay, for taking that hideous picture of Bettman and Crosby off the page and replacing it with Laing.

I see nothing wrong with giving Green a trophy in L.V.---he was injured AND sick during the play-offs, and the vote comes before the play-offs anyway. He was a pleasure to watch all season---a great offensive defenseman.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | June 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I think there should be a new defensive trophy added - One for Best Offensive Deffenseman and one for best Defensive Defenseman. As good of a year as Chara had, its easy for him to get overshadowed because he doesnt put up Mike Green numbers. He is always out there shutting down teams top players. But it is hard to deny the kind of number Greenie put up this year too. Tough decisions.....

Posted by: Grape8 | June 17, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Grapeape, I like the idea, sort of like a Selke for D-men. The only problem I see is like voters for the Selke always say, its hard to quantify certain aspects of the game, and that stats in general do not provide the big picture, so unless the player is seen a lot, many voters may not have enough knowledge on all candidates.

Posted by: superpaqman | June 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Great news! Quintin is one of those character guys that are always hard to replace. I think he would have made a difference in the playoffs, and it was great seeing him play with Hershey in the Calder Cup playoffs (where he played very well). Hopefully we'll see more of him in DC next season.

Posted by: firehorse | June 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Cstanton; playoff hockey is much different than regular season hockey. Many teams do not play their enforcer during the playoffs. And I certainly hope that it does not take an injury causing transgression to have an enforcer in the line-up.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 17, 2009 1:10 PM |

Huh? a 50 goal scorer at the cusp of his career isn't an attractive option?

If we didn't already have an offensive superstar left winger (2 really), then I would be pressing for the Caps to get him.

But seriously guys, we do not need more finesse goal scorers. We have way too many of these types of players already, and we definetely don't need another superstar winger. (we can't afford it anyway)

More Laing's, more Hudler's please.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Quintan Laing is one of the last of a dying breed: the scrappy hard-worker that has more heart and determination than major league skill. He may not make the roster, but the Capitals need to have a player with the qualities he brings, to take the next step. He will do anything to win and stay on the team. The Caps have a lot of guys who will do "a lot" to win. They are perilessly short of guys who will do "anything" to win. Quintan Laing is the kind of heart guy this team needs badly.

Posted by: NHLObserver | June 17, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

NHLObserver - nice observation, but I would change the perilessly short part to being guys who will "do anything" CONSISTANTLY. It seems they all have fire, but some nights just don't flip the switch.

Posted by: superpaqman | June 17, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S,
Sorry, just got home from work. Not sure if you had your question answered, but I think they said development camp was July 13-18, but I could be wrong. Rookie camp is generally two or three weeks before the season opener, with training camp right after.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 17, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Love the Q signing. Might have to get a Laing jersey this year.

Assuming Nyls, Feds and Kozzy are gone the Caps will at the bare minimum need at least 2 top six forwards. Any suggestions? I'm hoping for a trade for Marleau or signing a UFA like Hudler or Samuelsson.

Posted by: jake81 | June 17, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

WOW!! Look at all of the Laing love - I dig it! :-) I was SO happy to finally see him make it back up this season and then ... darn spleen. I wonder if he would have made a difference in the playoffs?

The thing that makes Laing such a great addition is not his individual contributions (despite the fact that he sacrifices his body for the game), it is what he makes others do. He is not the best player on the ice, but you're hard pressed to find a player with more commitment and more character. He's all heart and EVERYONE knows it. The guys who are on the ice with him see how fearless he is (talk about taking one for the team!) and they are inspired to play with the same 'whatever it takes' mentality. They simply elevate their game when he plays and you can really see the difference in their game.

So when it comes to Laing it is about more than PK or blocked shots or all of the other great stuff that he does, it is what he inspires others to do. Ya gotta respect that. I hope we get more of a chance to see him in the bigs next season!

Posted by: Boo- | June 17, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

A fan posted photos on the AO Blog of Ovie at the motion capture event. The "hot stick" celebration was reinacted.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 17, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

That's pretty funny. Too bad the 2K series is a pile of crap compared to EA's series and will not sell at all.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

you're preaching to the choir. I just don't think McPhee and company feel the same way. We'll see. Hope I'm wrong, but the Caps really don't ever fill Brashear's spot in the lineup with a young tough guy callup. Other teams usually will recall an apt replacement when their resident tough guy is out of the lineup. I think once Brash is gone, the Caps will just fill his spot with a different type of player and that won't change unless they see overwhelming visible evidence that it was the wrong move.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

That's good stuff. I kind of wish they wouldn't include the "hot stick" not because of the over-the-top reaction to it but my personal preferance. That being said, I can see why it would be fun to include it. I love the fist pump on one knee and raising the arm.

The real question is will they motion capture Cindy punching someone in the balls?

I will totally agree 2K has nothing on EA.

Posted by: Moose33 | June 17, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like reports are showing that Sykora and Satan might be KHL property next year.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not gonna lie. I did a fist pump when i got the text from the Caps first thing this morning. Love me some Q.L.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | June 17, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Richmond Moose:
NHL2k10 IS by EA Sports.

Posted by: 202-206 | June 17, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry i thought that puck shown said EA Sports...it is actually 2k sports. And yes, their product is inferior to EA's.

Posted by: 202-206 | June 17, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I remember when Ovie was asked about about players he had met in the NHL who impressed him, the player he named was Laing. For all the reasons that Boo and NHLobserver mention Laing may well be the missing part on this team. You can sit Nylander and that may take care of a problem, but when you play Laing you add heart to the team and make everyone on the ice better. When the guys watch Ovie play hard they tend to sit back, but when they see a guy like Laing step up they all know they can do the same thing. I for one would ove to see him in DC. Maybe Nylander could add some "Veteran Leadership" to the Bears and we could get a player who plays hard every shift.

Posted by: majiksea | June 17, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Nylander has a NMC.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I know we can't trade him, but NO MOVE. You sure? Of course that would explain the way he played last year. By the end he had quit moving.

Posted by: majiksea | June 17, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Nyles won't see the ice much next season barring injuries to our top centers. I think the Caps will try and just "encourage" him to go find a deal elsewhere by appealing to his pride.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 17, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I am almost positive he has a NMC. I mean, what else would prevent us from wavering him then?

Nyls will play on a NHL or KHL team next year.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

If I was George, I would trip him on the stairs at the phone booth!

Posted by: majiksea | June 17, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

One and Seven

Posted by: malkinshockeyskates | June 17, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

You probably weren't even born for 5 of those series, so just sit tight and enjoy your Cup.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero:
That's my boy! :-)

majiksea:
What you said! :-) Well, not the tripping part about Nyls, but the Laing part!! ;-)

Phil:
Satan can't go to the KHL until he plays for the Devils.

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 17, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I think we all might have engaged in a synchronized fist pumping as we all received that message.

The Great Miro Satan shall rise again!

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

@Moose33: I'm imagining the hand motions with the Wii we'll need to do in order to make Cindy on NHL2K10 hit someone in the berries. Anyone else chuckling? =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 17, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Phil is a Satan worshiper.

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 17, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry - that was a little out of context - Phil is a Miro Satan worshiper. ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 17, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I always add Miro, but make sure I pronounce it the wrong way. I see no h in "satan" anyway!

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Crap, I forgot the first S had a caron over it.

I guess SHahTan wins.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
Don't forget the silent Q!

From DC Sports Bog ...

Odds to Win 2010 Stanley Cup:
1. Detroit Red Wings 6-1
2. Pittsburgh Penguins 7-1
3. Boston Bruins 9-1
4t. San Jose Sharks 10-1
4t. Washington Capitals 10-1
6. Chicago Blackhawks 12-1
7t. Vancouver Canucks 15-1
7t. Philadelphia Flyers 15-1
7t. New Jersey Devils 15-1

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 17, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if everyone has seen this, but Bruce Boudreau received numerous text messages from mad Cap players minutes after the Pens won last Friday.

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 17, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Boo, "SHahTanQ"? Is that pronounced like "2008-2009 Islanders"? Or is it a harsher pronunciation, like "2007-2008 Senators"?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 17, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

@Riely9

Interesting article..I guess that means either BB is lying or Green just straight up lied to Tarik, haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 17, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
LOL!!! I think it is closer to the latter. BTW, he goes by Shaq for short. (So when are you going to quit that whole silly 'real job' thing and try your hand at stand-up? ;-))

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 17, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Boo, never. I'd suck at stand-up. 95% of what I say that's funny is situationally so and requires way too much context and me to misunderstand something, intentionally or not, to be good stand-up material. Its like being blonde only I get the joke. And I promise, it generally takes me time to think of these things. I'm always thinking about conversations later and thinking, "Man, if only I had said X, it would have been so much wittier. Instead, I now look like a moron." Yes everyone, I am cooler online. ;-D
On a sort-of related note, I also joined in the collective fist pump of joy this morning, in the middle of the dining hall. Now our Russian basketball player thinks I'm a huge dork. And he would be right, but that's not the impression I try to give off on a daily basis.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 17, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
Well I bet he would have a new found respect for you if you told him that you were a fan of Ovechkin! ;-) BTW, since I get your jokes, does that make me blonde, too?

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 17, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse