Caps React to All-Star Selections

Here's what the Caps had to say about the Eastern Conference All-Star Team, which, if you haven't seen, included only Alex Ovechkin.

The squad does, however, include four Canadiens, three Bruins and two Penguins.

"I don't know why Semin is not over there, and Greenie and Backie, I think they are top players in the league right now," said Ovechkin, referring to Alex Semin, Mike Green and Nicklas Backstrom. "So it's pretty strange for me."

Backstrom said he wasn't expected to be appointed, so he was not upset about the snub. He also said he has not decided whether he would accept another invitation YoungStars game (that team will be announced tomorrow).

"I'm okay with it," Backstrom said. "I was not expecting myself in there."

As for playing in the YoungStars, he added: "I will do what the coaches tell me to do."

Mike Green was similarly diplomatic, saying, "I would have been honored to go. But I'm not going to say that I deserved to go."

Coach Bruce Boudreau, though, was less restrained.

"We know on merit that Nick and Mike and maybe Alex Semin should all be on that," said Boudreau, who might be tapped as the assistant coach. "But that's not how [it] goes, and it's not because they don't deserve to be on it. It's how the whole thing is situated. They have to pick a player from every team."

He added: "That's been going on for a long time. We understand the process. But as a personal opinion, I don't agree with the process. I agree that people would much rather see the best players in the world rather than one representative from every team."

Jose Theodore, a two time all-star himself, agreed with Boudreau.

"The league really should review the system, especially for the starting lineup," he said. "Ovie not in the starting lineup takes away from the selections. The league needs to do something about it."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 8, 2009; 12:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Earns Spot; Backstrom, Green Snubbed
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Couldn't agree with Bruce or Jose more!

Posted by: Don-Ald | January 8, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Theodore has it right -- the current system is a joke.

Posted by: uncatim | January 8, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm not remembering right, but I thought the NHL made a big deal out of *not* having to have one player from each team, unlike the MLB. Do I have it backwards?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom should stay at home...rest up. The All Star Game is a farce.

All we care about is the Cup...win that - shut everyone up and shove it up the Montreal and Pens fans a@@es

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 8, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

It makes sense to have a representative from every team. It's an exhibition game, for cryin' out loud. It's not like the outcome impacts anything but the winners' bank accounts.

In baseball, where the winning league in the ASG gets home field advantage, it makes no sense to have a representative from each team. But in this game, why alienate fans by not having their team represented? It's bad business.

If they're going to change something, they should change the way the starters are selected. That's what caused this whole mess in the first place.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 8, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I knew the blog hiccuped! Thurs AM update is back behind the ASG Lineup post.

Anyway...

Caught this on Ted's Take. Very neat, I'm looking forward to something to take the steam and stench away from "Redskins Nation."

"Our Comcast SportsNet television ratings have steadily increased and are 130% better than a year ago, and yesterday we announced a new television venture, Capitals Red Line Monday, presented by Geico. The show will debut Feb. 9 on CSN and highlight the personalities of our players as well as give fans a behind-the-scenes look at our team. Here’s a quick video promo for Capitals Red Line Monday."

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 8, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be cool if Ovie went out in the 1st period wearing his name on his jersey, then in the 2nd period have Backs on his jersey then in the 3rd have Greenie on his jersey.

Just a thought.

Posted by: NFeKPo | January 8, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

FFSEnough:
The blog had a visceral reaction to the news about the ASG ...

JMU (from the previous):
You said it first! I am your witness if that's what happens!! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | January 8, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

NHL doesn't require a rep from each team. I seem to recall a season or two during the lean years where the only Caps rep was Bondra in the skills competition.

MLB creates issues where deserving players don't make the AllStar teams due to the 1 player from each team rule.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Caps can take the bull by the horns on Saturday and destroy the Habs up in Montreal (just don't forget to blast Columbus first!).

The only reason Green isn't going to the game is because Komisarek was elected as a starter. Komisarek wouldn't be going to the all-star game any other way (unless he had a ticket.) Backstrom is tough, but that Phil Kessel of Boston is also outrageous. What that kid has been through in 21 years of his life and that he's becoming a top scorer in this league is nothing short of remarkable...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | January 8, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Boo-, I don't think I'd be the first be any stretch of the imagination to say that Therrien's on the hotseat. However, I will laugh hysterically if it happens so quickly after Staal's signing.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Im sorry, but having someone from every team, gives every NHL fan a reason to watch the game and cheer for there favorite player. I dont mind it that way.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 8, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

We are the Washington Capitals.
We are the Black Sheep of the NHL.
Live it, Love it, Embrace it!

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | January 8, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

ASG's in general are a farce. MLB's is a travesty because they've had to tie home field advantage to an exhibition game to make the participants take it seriously and thus appease the fans.

That being said isn't there the financial ramifications to take into consideration? Don't players have bonus clauses in their contracts for being selected?

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Granted, I'm with you all and really don't care THAT much -- but good lord, what a freaking joke.

the MVP not starting, the highest goal-scoring Defenseman not even going -- to the ALL-STAR GAME where all they want is goals, for god's sake -- who actually picked the team?

Hopefully, Bruce won't be blackballed from the team, either.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 8, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Has Bäckis ever promoted himself at all? Even when back in Brynäs he always just pointed to the other guys saying "It was them who made me look good, I am not great".

I think that is why I like him so much. He is a great player and apparently(from people in his hometown) pretty humble and just happy to not be the fat kid on the team anymore.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 8, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like Mirtle's suggestion here, mainly because I kinda hate the ASG and feel that the skills competition is about the only redeeming quality of the All-Star Weekend (besides picking out which guy looks more like he's going to prom in his tux) :-D. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=504475

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

The NHL should be embarrassed

Posted by: doughless | January 8, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I have an update from my sources yesterday regarding Malkin and the caps. Here is what I hear:

Malkin for
Nyls, Fehr, Mo, and Nuevirth.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru, Geez. I could see Neuvirth, but do you really think Nyls would go to Pittburgh?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

There are a lot of other teams who have had guys snubbed so its not just the Caps.

We cant put everyone in the game. Each team does need a representative. With that said. They should take 1 rep from each team and then fill the rest of the roster with those they see fit.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 8, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

people like playing there supposedly. and it's not that far from here.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@ RicketyCricket

I love people who talk out of their ass like they actually know something. The NHL All-Star game does indeed REQUIRE a player from each team, just as Bruce said. Also, the example you cited is proof of that, not the other way around. Bondra was in the All-Star game that year. They don't just use players for the skills competition and send them home after.

Posted by: ranndino | January 8, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The NHL has always had a player from each team represented as long as I can remember. It is the other sports that don't follow that.

I like the fact that the NHL does that. Every team has a player that is really good and should be a participant. Even if the team is in the dumper. The problem is the NHL puts guys up there that are injured and not playing over guys that are playing.

Look at Gonchar. He was up in the voting for defenseman and he hasn't played this year due to injury. BB is correct about the system being screwed up, but I like the fact that every team is represented.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | January 8, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

jmu-

Ben Wright's is the best. Revoke NTC's of any player on the losing squad or who declines invitation.

And Cricket.

NHL does infact require 1 player from each team.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 8, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Well, if it happens, we heard it here first.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@JMU - hah I am pretty sure Lee is just rousing some rabble. Or as Dave in UK might say, "taking the piss".

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 8, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

How about this

Set the rosters then allow fans to vote for the starting lineups. This takes away from the stuffing the box for 3 guys from one team because realistically, there might only be 1 rep to choose from.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 8, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@ ranndino

Take it easy. It's a blog. I pulled something from memory incorrectly. I guess this is one reason in a long line of them why I don't get paid for this.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"rousing rabble?" sir, I am offended and demand satsfaction!

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero, I'm with you. I joked about it earlier with him. Just find it amusing that someone who's wife allegedly didn't want to go to Edmonton would be okay with Pittsburgh. Do we start calling him Lee "Malkin to the Caps" Guru?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

the malkin thing is a joke right? AO would have none of that

Posted by: _stevo | January 8, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Forget about and focus on overtaking Boston!

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | January 8, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Ovie should boycott the ASG, take a rest and prepare to take the number one spot in the Eastern Conference.

Posted by: tURBO8 | January 8, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Dear lord, I agree with Jose! Is the world still spinning?

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 8, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Jmu, world of difference between Edmonton and Pittsburg.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 8, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@_stevo,

Do you really think AO would boycott a move to bring Malkin to the Caps? You are crazy.

Posted by: the_ocho | January 8, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The voting system was developed to get the fans involved. The system is a joke and its a slap in the face of Washington. We can cry all we want about Alex not being a starter, but he's not a starter because the fans of Washington didn't vote for him. Some hockey town eh Ted?

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

AO's a pro. If the team honestly had an opportunity to bring Malkin on board without gutting any top lines you know he'd embrace it. Winning is the bottom line. You don't have to be best friends with everyone on your team to do so.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@JMU - "Lee "Malkin to the Caps" Guru" has a nice ring to it....

@the_ocho - I don't think AO would block it, but the salary cap certainly would prevent that move from happening. Besides it was just a joke

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 8, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 8, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The Pens are a hockey institution ... most players would probably go there (and *cough* most would like to play with Crosby). Ovie and Malkin would get over it - they would be a powerhouse.

Posted by: Boo- | January 8, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I whole heartedly believe the reason so many Habs are in the starting line-up is because they are hosting the ASG during the 10th anniversary season. My guess would be that fans from across Canada voted for Habs because of this. Although Green and Semin are true superstars, they've missed a lot of hockey this season. Backstrom out is simply a numbers games. Although we hate them, Malkin is leading the league in scoring, and Crosby is well, Mr. NHL as far the the NHL is concerned. He is number 3 in scoring though. I think the ASG will be a nice break for our boys.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 8, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero, perhaps you would take it more seriously if you knew the source. Boo and steve do.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the know!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | January 8, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Darn it, missed a zero, everyone knows it's the Habs 100th anniversary, not their 10th.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 8, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

It would be a Russian powerhouse for sure, but it would never happen...nice to dream though.

Posted by: HBFan | January 8, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

caphcky

I don't know why you are trying to poke at Ted and his insistence (and Fedorov's) that this is a hockey town because the fans from the city didn't want to dishonestly stuff the box.

By the way, most of the exploits were done via SMS. Computer generated and via handheld.

NHL had a system in place to record votes for "TEAMNAMEHERE" to their SMS number. The system would also count 1 vote for each LINE OF THE SMS. People were sending text messages counting for 10 votes each every 3 seconds or so. (Resend button is nice).

If you think DC isn't a hockey town because we didn't want to participate in that crap, to each their own, I guess.

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 8, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I still think that the problem with the ASG right now is how the fan voting was handled. It was ripe for abuse, and it got abused equally in both conferences (J.S. Giguere over Niklas Backstrom or Evgeni Nabokov? You've got to be kidding me). As a result, a number of deserving players, not just from the Caps, got snubbed.

I say don't worry about it. Yeah, it's stupid, and yeah, it's annoying, but I'd rather have a Cup, wouldn't you? Let's annoy the media and take the Cup home instead.

As for the ASG? A boycott is really, really tempting - I wonder how many dissed teams' fans we could get to do such a boycott? Is it worth it? What do the players think of an idea? It's not like we'd want to diss our own players, but at the same time, there does need to be a protest of the voting process.

I think we haven't blown out enough teams lately, by the by. Time to smoke a few. How does Columbus sound for a start?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

@rdy4all2000 - I'm on board with that idea.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 8, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I dont care about the starters, let that be a game the fans play, picking the starters. What should ALWAYS happen is that the best players are there and there is reasonable representation across the league. I dont claim to have the solution to this problem, but any fool can see that this aint right. Its exibition for goodness sake, and right now its one I dont want to see.

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 8, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The Fourth Period website has the Caps 3rd in its Power Rankings. Also, in its Rumor Central area there is the rumor: "Columbus owners willing to add salaries". This article briefly mentions the possibility of Nylander going to the Blue Jackets.

Posted by: MReilly9 | January 8, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1

If you want to know how the boxes got so full, a quick google search will give you the answer. They were simple exploits that a large group of organized, dishonest tech-savvy people pulled off. Coincidence that they wanted some Canadians to start, no, I'm sure we will not see the same tactic next year (though, I hope the NHL is smart enough to close the loopholes.)

Posted by: FFSEnough | January 8, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"rousing rabble?" sir, I am offended and demand satsfaction!

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 1:41 PM

Did somebody slap somebody else with a glove and I missed it?

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 8, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@Leegru

Are you serious? malkin? really?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 8, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Tomas Kaberle has no desire to leave Toronto, but the Maple Leafs defencemen said today he wouldn't stand in the way of a trade if management was forceful in its request. Asked if he would wave his no-trade contract should Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke tell him he is no longer part of the team's future, Kaberle for the first time opened the door for a potential trade. "Obviously when the GM is going to tell you he doesn't want you here any more, you don't want to play for a team if someone doesn't want you any more," Kaberle said at the Bell Centre prior to tonight's game against the Montreal Canadiens. "That's a different story." Kaberle, who today was named to the ..."

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 8, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

For various reasons, the Caps rarely get respect from the league or the national media. Even beyond being Russian and not Canadian, Ovie is a Cap and not a Penguin (one of the NHLs darlings).

But it's the ASG-- it's a joke, and if anything we have less players in danger of being hurt now. At the end of the season, a deep playoff run showcases these players better than the ASG ever will.

Posted by: TheGJ | January 8, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The Pens are successful right now because they are good. They were almost banckrupt so they are not a hockey institution. They aren't selling out every game this season. Last season was their first in club history in which they sold out every game. There was a dip in their attendance when they stunk, let than 12,000 a game in 03-04. They've had a spike since the coming of Crosby and Malkin. Hmmm, Pittsburg has bandwagon fans too? Everyone does, still makes it more fun to scream with a bandwagon fan when the Caps are winning rather than hear your voice echo in the bad years. The thing is, this group won't be a one hit wonder as long as fans keep showing up because ownership will be able to pay them.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 8, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Bruce is testing out a lineup I suggested a few days ago. He is reading this blog, I am sure of it.

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 8, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Kaberle, under contract for two more years at 4.25m per year... We have Greenie already, too much $ to absorb.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 8, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I'd rather have The Cup but:
1) that has nothing to do with the ASG
and
2) neither I, nor you, will ever have it because we don't play for the Caps.

But I'll be very stoked when (not if) they bring it to DC.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 8, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The all-star game is a meaningless exhibition so I'm not stressed. I think MLB made a mistake by attaching World Series importance to it. Team success, i.e., Stanley Cups, count far more than individual awards in the final accounting of a player's career.

Posted by: eric22 | January 8, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Sure the Cup has everything to do with the ASG.

We're pissed because we have amazing players who deserve recognition and did not get it for the ASG.

As loyal Caps fans (and therefore bitter for having endured endless abuse from many sources), we therefore get upset at snubs--especially when we have the record and paper stats to prove we deserve the recognition.

My point is, we'll get the recognition with a Cup. And it's sweeter anyway.

And while you and I may not get the Cup, I think being loyal, paying fans who get to relish in our team winning is good enough for me :)

Posted by: TheGJ | January 8, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Always good to give the team a little more motivation, isn't it?

Also glad to see the Caps beat the Flyers by playing a Caps game, not a Flyers pond-hockey scrimmage.

Posted by: perspective6 | January 8, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

The Cup is the bigger prize. we will get back at the Habs when we sweep the right out of the playoffs on the way to the cup and the Pens they might not even make the playoffs

Posted by: mreric03 | January 8, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

WTF_Fehr: I wouldn't be in the least surprised if he does. You're not the first person here to post a set of lines and then see them in a practice or a game, or something very akin to it. :) Isn't it awesome, though?

I care about ASG only in the sense of team pride and pride in our boys. It means something to them, so it should mean something to us. But, it shouldn't mean everything, and it's not worth getting up in arms about. Let's let our boys rest and set our sights on the #1 spot in the conference, shall we?

@OMunchkin: True, but ask any player who's won one whether a supportive fanbase matters to them and whether they think it affects the win. You gotta remember that in a sense, championships belong to the fans as much as anyone else, because it is our money and our support that draws the players that make it possible. No, we didn't win it, but we make it possible.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

My point was intended to be that discussing the ASG, and our disgruntlement therewith, is indeed valid despite that fact that The Cup is the more desirable prize, counter to what some others here might proclaim.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 8, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz

Yes kitty, very cool. Lets see if it works again on something else....trade Nylander to a team he likes and get good return value....waiting

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 8, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but who gives a flying Frank Mahovlich about the ASG? It's lamer than the shootout, and that's sayin something.
I'd rather watch TiVO of the, ah, Muhammad Ali-Marlene Dietrich fight than pretend the ASG is a hockey game...

Posted by: redlineblue | January 8, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin would not block a trade with malkin coming here. in fact, he has no power to do so. why would he block a trade to bring arguably the best playmaker in the league and comrade to the caps? we cant afford it anyway, wishful thinking.

ASG? who really cares, we are still #2 in the East. bettman nhl has been a joke, it is just following form.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 8, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Of course it's valid :) But we can sit here and moan about it or we can turn it into motivation. A lot of deserving players got snubbed because of the fan vote, and not just from the Caps (and not just in the East). There isn't really a damn thing we can do about this year's selections unless everyone here wants to recruit people to boycott the game, and I don't want to do that to Ovi. Next year - well, that's something else again.

So yeah, we definitely got disrespected and it's severely annoying. We are going to get disrespected until we take the league by the throat and shake a few times (figuratively), and that's how it is. Respect is earned when one's name isn't Crosby. So it sounds to me like it's time for us to rest up, then go out and tear up the Eastern Conference for the rest of the season.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say we are irrelevant, just that WE are not THEM. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | January 8, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I was disappointed that Green and Backstrom were not selected for the ASG. But, I think that Ovi has too much class to decline (same for Bruce if he is selected to be the second coach). I am with the group that says we should use this as motivation.

I am also for the concept of fan voting, but it is the manner and scope of fan voting that I think was the problem this year. Probably would have made more sense to allow fan voting for just one All Star position for each conference rather than all of the starters (i.e. the player in each conference getting the most points is on the team and then the remaining players are chosen by more analytical/merit driven means). When I am Queen for the Day I will change that!

BTW seeing Matt Bradley at ESPNZone last night was really cool. Great guy.

Posted by: Kim-3 | January 8, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Malkin was a joke?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 8, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Re: "I’m sorry, but having someone from every team, gives every NHL fan a reason to watch the game and cheer for there favorite player. I don’t mind it that way."

Are you serious? Who watches the All Star Game in Tampa etc.? And other looser towns?

Fan voting is a joke and we (caps fans) could have voted Ovie, Green, Backstroem, etc. into the game IF we would have voted multiple times. I was honest and voted once! So stop complaining!!!!

Ovie: take a brake - ignore that farce!

Posted by: johnbear1 | January 8, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I meant the player from each conference getting the most fan votes (not points).

Posted by: Kim-3 | January 8, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 2:56 PM

I heard the Battle Hymn of the Republic while I was reading this Kitty. You made me want to take the ice dammit.

GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 8, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redlineblue | January 8, 2009 2:54 PM

+1. Or to borrow a quote from another Post beat writer, "zzzzz...."

Posted by: Section117 | January 8, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Lyle,

Sombrero thinks it's a joke

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

How come Wilbon doesn't write about the Caps?

Posted by: hessone | January 8, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Locker made an excellent suggestion on the Philly/Comcast appearance Tuesday. Just increase the roster size. No one is out there to play 20+ minutes anyway so a few more selections won't hurt. Mike Green led the NHL in goals for a defensman last year? He's not in the game? Come on.

Posted by: cappies | January 8, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Lol - Leeguru

That doesn't help me?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 8, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I could care less about the game as well but it would just be nice to see Green in the accuracy competition or something like that. They should screw the game and have two days of skills and just show off what these NHL Players have.

Posted by: cappies | January 8, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@hessone -- Wilbon is too busy with his TV stuff and only writes about 'real sports' and ripping DC about having horrible fans (yet he only goes to Wiz games and skins games - but only when they are winning). But will be the first to tell you he's a huge cubs fans but rooted for the white sox; and was a blackhawks fan but only when they're good.

In other words, Wilbon is your typical DC transplant bandwagon fan.

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 8, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is DB

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 8, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

apparently the devils are trying to get Jagr over here, since the KHL cant pay their players.

but this is coming from ecklund, so its probably just more useless rumors.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 8, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Why are we making such a big deal out of this? The All-star game is pointless and nobody really watches it. Let Backstrom, Semin, and Green rest they play for so many minutes here. We all know they're good enough to play in the all-star game, who cares if they aren't? Unlike in baseball, the all-star game means nothing in hockey.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 8, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Because we're in first place by 10 points. What else do we have to complain about this year? ;)

Posted by: cappies | January 8, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"yeah caphcky, a slap in the face of dc for not jerking the system around by employing autovoting technology. shame on us for not cheating. another top notch, well thought out post."

Who said it was cheating. Its CLEARLY set up for the fans......and we fell short. I'm sorry you don't agree I wasn't soliciting YOUR opinion, just stating a fact.

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@hnic -If the hockey all star game means nothing; but the baseball allstar game does mean something; but baseball doesn't really mean anything.

does that mean that the all star baseball game is worthless?

something to ponder this afternoon.

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 8, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@hockeynightincanada
What you want more Nylander speculation? All of our other horses have been beated beyond recognition.

Posted by: koalatek | January 8, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

There is no need to ponder. In baseball the winner of the AL or NL gets home field advantage for the World Series. In hockey nothing happens after the game that affects the outcome of the Cup finals. Not that I watch the baseball all-star game either but I still know that there is a significance to playing in baseball than an allstar game in hockey.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 8, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Baseball isn't full contact either. Less risk when they go all out.

Posted by: cappies | January 8, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The ASG sucks for the better teams in that will only get one or two players on the team. There were years when the Guy Charron's of the world were on the team when many other much more qualified players were left off. The only way that will change is if they do not have to have one player from each team or add to the number of players allowed. Otherwise deserving players will always be left off.

Posted by: RichC3 | January 8, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but can you really call the NHL ASG full contact either? It's shooting goalies in a barrel.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Tell that to Luis Ayala.

-----

Baseball isn't full contact either. Less risk when they go all out.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 8, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | January 8, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Exhibit B - Randy Johnson vs. Tweety Bird

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@goskins
>>Wilbon ... goes to Wiz games and skins games - but only when they are winning

So, Wilbon doesn't get out much?

Posted by: redlineblue | January 8, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

That wasn't my argument. I said that the MLB All-Star game decides home field advantage to the World Series. The NHL all-star game determines nothing. That was it.

Let Green, Backstrom, and Semin rest. We all know those three are good enough to be in the all star game.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 8, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@caphcky - Any time you stuff the ballot box, it's cheating, in my book.

Using a 'bot to stuff the ballot box as badly as the Habs and Pens fans did is way beyond the pale of cheating.

The ASG voting system does not work fairly. Could I have grabbed a 'bot and had it vote 1,000 times a day for the Caps guys? Sure, I could have. Did I? No. Because using a 'bot to cast your vote for you is cheating. Voting YOURSELF 1,000 times a day is not, under this system, but who has time to sit there and hit "resend" 1,000 times a day?!

Posted by: irockthered | January 8, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@redlineblue - Yes you are correct. Wilbon doesn't go out much.

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 8, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Lee,

So your offer to Pitt is

Your best player for an underperforming aging center, the unfullied promises of a former first round draft pick, a stay at home defenseman who's going to want a big raise at the end of the year, and a goalie prospect that we don't need. I can't believe they haven't already accepted that.

I'm shocked-shocked- that you aren't serving as a GM somewhere in the league right now...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 8, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 3:23 PM

well caphcky, you posted your opinion, so i'll post mine. and your post was not based on facts. for example, statements like "the fans of washington didn't vote for him" as a reason why he didn't get voted as a starter is not a fact. the fact is, he didn't get voted as a starter because the ballot box was stuffed for the habs and pens. if you don't think that's cheating, you must be from chicago.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 8, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Any time you stuff the ballot box, it's cheating, in my book."

When the system calls for it....thats how its done. Its not right, but its hardly cheating.

"So yeah; the Caps got snubbed, not because we, the fans, don't love them, but because winning by cheating is not winning fairly. The Caps are all about fair play. Shouldn't we, their fans, be too?"

Alot of teams got snubbed. It happens every year, and its enjoyable to see people jump off bridges over an exhibition.

I'd rather see Alex enjoy the time off and rest than risk injury in a silly exhibition. Its not an All Star Game, its an Mid-Season Exhibition.

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

so what would everyones starting lineup be anyway for the east/west?

east;

datsyuk
iginla

lidstrom
keith

nabokov

Posted by: richmondphil | January 8, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Fact is, having those guys cheat the way they did will probably be better for the NHL. Because no matter what, you can bet that Canadians are going to watch that game, on TV and in the stands. I say let OV and Bruce be the only ones to go and be done with it.

Posted by: WTF_Fehr | January 8, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

And on a more important note (that being games that count), we have a pending visit from the Bruins who have lost two in a row. A couple Caps wins and a loss or two could mean the game on the 17th could be for the conference lead or very close to it. Now that could be interesting.

Also, our old pal Robert Lang was awesome last night. After the 3rd goal he had a grin like 16 year old!

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | January 8, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@Section117 - Great quotes from that article you posted...

"We definitely hear them, and when we hear them it really gets us going," Bradley said. "I don't think there's any louder building in the league, since the end of last year and this year."
- Matt Bradley

"I love that [Unleash the Fury] video they play," Alzner said. "Whoever thought of it and put it all together, it's pretty genius of them. It's nice to have a little motto like that, and fans can say something and be proud."
- Karl Alzner

Awesome stuff!

Posted by: irockthered | January 8, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"for example, statements like "the fans of washington didn't vote for him" as a reason why he didn't get voted as a starter is not a fact."

There aren't enough fans in Washington...thats the fact!

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@caphcky - You're joking, right? 'Cause... sell-out crowds for more games ALREADY this season than we had all year last year? Hello? Are we gonna need a bigger arena for the lack of fans?

Voting YOURSELF 1,000 times a day is not cheating.

Having a bot vote FOR YOU is.

That is my opinion, and I am sticking by it.

Posted by: irockthered | January 8, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

caphcky,

Dude, there are plenty of fans here. But unlike in Pittsburg, we have jobs and can't vote 1000 times a day.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 8, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

funny, everyone I know in Washington voted.....(but didn't bot-vote)

The bigger issue is that the Caps have NO national media coverage. I was just visiting my husband's family--all big hockey fans--and they all looked at me like I grew a second head when I said "The Caps are one of the best teams in hockey." I actually had to make them look at the standings and player stats to prove it! They had no idea. And as a result, they hadn't voted for any Caps players.

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Ok, thats good stick it....:)

You have to understand the system, get one of those sell-out crowd members to help you.

Enjoy the EXHIBITION

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

There aren't enough fans in Washington...thats the fact!

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 3:59 PM

yeah, given that the team is on track to sell out the majority of their home games this year, i'd say there are more than enough. thomas vanek didnt get voted to the starting lineup despite leading the league in goals. by your logic, there'e arent enough sabres fans out there. we all know there are too many of them.

your posts continue to get better and more logical.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"thomas vanek didnt get voted to the starting lineup despite leading the league in goals. by your logic, there'e arent enough sabres fans out there. we all know there are too many of them."

I nominate this for POST OF THE DAY.

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 8, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ballot box stuffing is ballot box stuffing, and if you do it you're dishonest and you need better things to do with your time.

The fact is that most of us in Washington have lives and jobs and don't have time to go stuffing ballot boxes, nor do we think it's a good idea. (Hey look, I think we sucked all the ethics out of Congress. Explains a lot.)

And on a more important note (that being games that count), we have a pending visit from the Bruins who have lost two in a row. A couple Caps wins and a loss or two could mean the game on the 17th could be for the conference lead or very close to it. Now that could be AWESOME.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | January 8, 2009 3:58 PM

There, fixed that for you.

I say it's time to worry about more important things than a stupid gimmick and a silly troll. Let's talk about Columbus tomorrow. No Rick Nash (that's rough for them), but they're still a Western Conference team in the playoff hunt, and their rookie goalie will probably make the YoungStars team, so let's not knock 'em or blow 'em off.

I don't know that much about CBJ. Any thoughts?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

i am a fan of nash, as evident above. mason is pretty ridiculous, but I foresee us getting the better of them in this one. they just came off a shutout to DET though, so they will be hungry.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 8, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

irockthered:
your are correct sir!!
anyone could vote as many times as they wanted via web or text. i would consider it cheating to setup an automated way to text 'extra' votes for your WHOLE team.
caphcky:
how does that happen?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 8, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hate the fact that Pens fans and Habs fans used BOTs to help vote for their players, my opinion is, whatever...

I do not think its a written rule that the league requires 1 player from each team, but if thats what the guidelines are then sobeit.

Green was hurt for 13 games and Backstrom had a lot competition at the pivot. Richards didn't get in. So I have no problem with OV being our only representative, and maybe BB. Backs and Green will have their turns.

Posted by: JSchon | January 8, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,
I do believe Lee is indeed "Extracting the urine".

To borrow an old Millwall Football Club anthem (to the tune of "We are Sailing"):

No one likes us
No one likes us
No one likes us
Be we don't care
We are Capitals
Super Capitals
Super Capitals
From DC

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"sorry - i think your point is not valid. there will only four teams being represented at the start of the ASG.
how does that happen?"

That wasn't my point. The SYSTEM is wrong. The ASG is not an ASG...its a mid season exhibition. All sports are wrong with this...not just hockey. Fans are given the vote to get them involved. Now they have a product that I could care less about and won't watch.

Yes, there are only 4 teams represented at the start of the ASG....I don't care. Lots of teams got snubbed.....its just part of the problem with the fans voting.

I'd much rather the guys take the weekend OFF and rest, but we've got half of Caps Community jumping off a bridge because the best player in hockey isn't starting in an EXHIBITION game.

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

didnt we all agree the ASG doesnt matter? why are you guys still talking about it?

more columbus talk. i see a 3-1 win.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
Isn't there something else that you should be doing? ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | January 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey folks, just a personal opinion, but can we not start the whole "no one respects us" line? It reminds me too much of Bill Belichick and the Pats in the NFL, where even though they won 3 super bowls some how "no one respected us". Just seems cheesey.

Posted by: superpaqman | January 8, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

3 stanley cups?? where???

Posted by: richmondphil | January 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
Hey chill out dude, I'm working on it :)

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

caphcky:
i was referring to the point that fans of washington didn't vote OV in. it is a bit difficult to out perform (voting wise) an automated system. in that sense there was 'cheating' and it wasn't just washington that got shortchanged on who the starters would be.
sorry

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 8, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
Pud ... :-P

Posted by: Boo- | January 8, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that Backstrom should necessarily have been an ASG shoo-in. His stats sit exactly in the middle of the other six centers chosen:

Goal- Assist- PTS
Malkin 15 48 63
Crosby 16 35 51
Marc Savard 16 36 49
Backstrom 12 33 45
Carter 27 17 44
Lecavalier 16 18 34
Eric Staal 18 13 31

However, Carter is one of the league's top goalscorers, so that probably weighs in his favor, while Lecavalier is an established star who has posted decent numbers on an awful team. The best argument for Backstrom is in comparison to Eric Staal, but like Vinnie, Staal is an established star who leads his mediocre team in goals. The AS choices aren't an "embarrasment," as some here suggest; they're just not ideal.

Posted by: RicoSuave2 | January 8, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

oldtime,

I didn't propose that trade. I just pass on what I hear

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

If using an automated voting bot is not cheating, it certainly falls outside of the spirit of the League's intent by allowing fan voting. It should at the very least pose an ethical dilemma to the people responsible and those who benefited from their actions - including the fans and the players who may not have deserved the spots they were put in. At least guys like OV, Backstrom and Green can look themselves in the mirror on the day of the ASG and have a clear conscience about it.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dave,

It might be an old joke by now, but did Ronaldo get out of the wreck rolling on the ground and pleading for a card?

Posted by: Section117 | January 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru - Just got off the phone with Doc Brown. Word is that he's going to use his Time Traveling Train from the end of BTTF3 to bring 1985 Wayne Gretzky to 2009, and take 2009 Gretzky to 2050 on an extended future vacation. 1985 Wayne Gretzky saw some clips of Ovechkin and thinks he could get 200 assists in a season. Might be a stretch, but we'll see...

1985 Wayne Gretzky will then resign as coach of the Coyotes, and sign with the Caps. Since Gretzky is retired, we can get his rights without giving anything up and sign with the caps for two years, $500,000 per year. $500,000 is a lot of money to someone from 1985. 1985 Gretzky is pretty excited.

The deal is only for 2 years because its expected that 2009 Wayne Gretzky only wants to hang in the future for a season and a half or so.

When 1985 Gretzky is inevitably asked by the media how he looks so young, he's been instructed to just answer "Botox. Everybody's doing it".

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 8, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

But isn't the veteran minimum for Gretsky more than 500k?

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz - Re: CBJ

As usual, I'm looking into stats... and boy do the Blue Jackets play a rough game of hockey.

In October alone - nine games - they took:

1 - cross-checking
3 - boarding (2 to the same player)
11 - fighting majors (6 to the same player - Dorsett - who also had two of the boarding calls)
2 - game misconduct
3 - instigator

...and that's only in the first nine games!

Jared Boll, who has three fighting majors in October alone, has 99 PIMs on his record this season, and is 6'2", 210#. He is 6th in the league for PIMs this season.

Derek Dorsett is 5'11, 187 pounds with 63 PIMs to his name so far this year. He is second on the CBJ team in PIMs.

Rick Nash has 17 goals this season, and 22 assists; that gives him a team-high 39 points. His +/- is +9. His goal has been the game winner four times this season, and he has 130 shots so far, also a team high. And, as we all know, he'll be representing the CBJ at the ASG. IMO, he deserves it. (How's that for a bunch of acronyms?)

The Blue Jackets are sitting at 21st in the League, with an 18-18-4 record; their record away (7-12-3) is worse than their record at home (11-6-1).

That said, we need to (as always)

1) Stay out of the box!
2) Play the system!
3) Take this game seriously!

The Blue Jackets are playing without Derrick Brassard, Jason Chimera, Jiri Novotny, Raffi Torres, and Rostislav Klesla, if you can believe the IR list on their website.

Brassard has 10 goals and 15 assists this season, and a +/- of +10, so missing him, if he's still out of the lineup, will hurt. At 17 PIMs over 31 games, he doesn't seem to spend a lot of time in the box. Their other walking wounded aren't huge contributors either way.

Posted by: irockthered | January 8, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Guru,

Does your "source" know you're posting this on a blog ?

I'd never post info from my buddy/source on a blog, that's just me.

Then again, you're in the car biz.

Posted by: LarryDavid | January 8, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

The all star game isn't hockey anyway. Its dull and unwatchable. The skills competition is fun though.

Posted by: lornemyoung | January 8, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

brassard broke his arm. i beleive he is a rookie.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 8, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

If you heard that one, Leeguru, you need to either put down the bong or smack Eklund (sp?) over the back of the head. Or stop reading hockeybuzz. Oh wait, hockeybuzz and the bong are the same thing.

XD

It's definitely true that Columbus will want to come out swinging. They just got shut out by DET, and I wouldn't look on them as a pushover. Can we win? Probably, if we are willing to take it to them and are aggressive about crashing the net and pouncing on rebounds. Gotta say, though, I wouldn't mind seeing a blowout or two. Close games are great, but I think we're due to stomp a team.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

117,
I suppose its only funny because the lad didn't kill himself but the best comment I read on the Manchester Evening News website was alone the lines of:

He walked away from the wreak to a grass verge where he proceeded to roll around for 5 minutes before deciding he wasn't injured!

At least you didn't mention the Derby result.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru - I'm pretty sure league minimum is $475K.

Also got an update. 2009 Wayne Gretzky only plans to spend one year in 2050. After that he's going back to 2001 to convince his wife to never ever ever place bets with Rick Tochet.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 8, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh ... did United lose to City?!?

Posted by: Boo- | January 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,

We don't have the cap room to add 1985 Gretzky. 2009 Gretzky's wife might like the 2050 gambling though.

Lee,

Don't sweat the abuse my friend, they're not in the know.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 8, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
No you pud! :) They lost to Derby County of the Championship (league below the Prem).

It's pretty much like the Caps losing to the AHL's Norfolk Admirals.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

can we get Gretsky's wife circa 1985?

Steve, I will be vindicated! MARK MY WORDS!

Posted by: Leeguru | January 8, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
WELL!!! I've never been called a pud before!!! Anyway, isn't that worse than losing to City?!? Oops!! (BTW, check your email for a very important commercial message.)

Oh there Lee goes marking his words again ...

Posted by: Boo- | January 8, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Dave, the Admirals really suck.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 8, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

At least you didn't mention the Derby result.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 5:01 PM

Please, I fully expect my guys to be bounced in the next round or two by Kettering Town or something.

Posted by: Section117 | January 8, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Steve,
There's a reason I picked Norfolk, Derby County suck too. Sacked their manager a couple of weeks back and in the FA Cup last week were losing 2-0 to an amateur team after 30 minutes. They did pull it out in the end. Ironic that they were the "giants" in that game then the giantkillers in the next.

Boo,
Checking email now Sir! (Sorry I missed out of the dude thing and I'm making up for it)

Lee,
Is your office near the garage at work? Check for exhaust fumes leeking in.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Someone asked if Wilbon goes to hockey games and reports on them.

Simple answer: No and No.

He thinks that hockey is a boring sport and he'd rather watch soccer - which he finds much more exciting (paraphrasing an interview). His daughter likes the Caps, though and he had to buy her a jersey.

Korny "I wanna be cool, too" hauser simply tossed off hockey, too. Season's too long and meaningless. It shouldn't go into June for the playoffs. But he loves baseball? Talk about meaningless!

Posted by: Greg S. | January 8, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

pud, pud, pud ...

Posted by: Boo- | January 8, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

The ASG obviously is a meaningless game, but it's also a showcase game - or it's supposed to be. But the voting is such a sham. I've never an explanation on why Semin's votes went down over 1000 points one night.

I voted - manually - a few times. What the heck. Once I saw what Montreal did, I stopped. What was the point in it?

How can you possibly justify AO, Chara, Lundqvist NOT being starters? How can Green and Semin not even be IN the ASG? How can Philly have only one player in it? Boston has zero starters?

There's no basis of reality in it. I think it's a snub of AO, Chara, Thomson and a few others and I'd feel insulted.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 8, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Hat tip to OFB for this one ...

For those of you interested, there is a grassroots boycott of the ASG being started here:

I post without comment. Make your own decision.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

If you want to get a sense of what its going to take to make the playoffs . . .

for those to lazy to click on the link. . . if the caps go .500 for the rest of the season they will end with 94 points which should be good enough to get in!

Posted by: hnosh | January 8, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

ditto.

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | January 8, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I would be livid if I were Caps mgt over the way the All-Star selection's been handled this year.
Show's weak NHL leadership and an under-appreciation by league mgt over what is probably the 2nd most visible NHL event of the year.
There was Plenty of time to correct the problem in a better way.
It was "obvious" that simply taking the average votes per day from the point they shut down the vote-bots and applying it to each day prior would have some basis in reality.
And a stern word from leadership about leageu-wide talent to encourage versus discourage voting from fans of All clubs.

Maybe I missed something, but this should be another mark on Bettman's record.

Posted by: austinsteve | January 8, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not just miffed for the Caps guys, but for some of the other teams as well. Iginla as a reserve, too???

If I were them, I'd be royally p1$$ed

Posted by: Greg S. | January 8, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Greg S: *nod* The Flyers fans should be irritated, too. Carter's the only one? I may hate the Flyers, but Mike Richards and Simon Gagne both deserve a shot.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

hnosh: Maybe, but my sights are set a tad higher than that. I'm thinking now towards chasing top seed in the conference and maybe a President's Trophy. And no, if you look at the standings, a President's Trophy is not out of reach for this team.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Flyers fans should be pissed because they don't know how to spell vote-bot, much less write one.

Posted by: austinsteve | January 8, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as the coaches positions for the ASG are based on winning percentage at a certain deadline, why not just have the 12 highest point scoring forwards from each conference at the same deadline. Top 3 from each conference start. (Although this would mean Ovie starting with two Pens - just been a little bit sick in my mouth there....)

I realise you may not get a balance of RW/LW and Centres but its not like you get that now and hardly like it matters so much in the ASG.

For Dmen you could pick a different stat, such a +/-. Everyone knows where they stand at the start of the season and the race for the ASG roster would be fun to watch.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Dave, I like your suggestions. No need for one player from each team (except from the city hosting the game - the host city must have one of their players to cheer for).

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | January 8, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Joe,
Thanks. I guess I missed goalies. Best 3 by SV% would probably do it.

East would be:

Wideman
Gorges (from Montreal)
Chara
Hunwick
Green
Mottau

Goalies (SV% but with 20 game minimum)
Anderson
Thomas
Clemmensen*

* Manny Ferdandez is higher than Clemmensen but has only played 18 games

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

For D-men you could toss in PIMs ranked highest to lowest as the tiebreaker. Give guys like Brash a chance to make the squad and might add an edge to the ASG itself with some of the "tough guys" on the ice.

You could use a pressure rigged dummy like they have in the show "Fight Science" and add "Hardest Hit" to the skills competition.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Anybody watching Comcast? There is no local programming tonight and they are showing the Philly Comcast broadcast of the Minnesota Wild / Flyers game.

Posted by: MReilly9 | January 8, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

going by a stat alone is stupid. slightly less retarded than having fans do it.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 8, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

>>>How come Wilbon doesn't write about the Caps?

Holy CCCCCCCCCCCCCCrap!!! who care what this guy does, or thinks for that matter?? He and Kornheiser, the bald headed twins, can keep with their dumb crowd on other sports.

Hey the ASG is one big rip-off entertainment event that only fools will pay to see. Too bad OV was selected to participate in such a farce, it will be great if he didn't show up. I rather have all the Caps rest.

Posted by: x1232 | January 8, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Ah, I love the addition of European futbol to the conversation. Nice touch, UK Dave.

I watched the last 30 mins of the ManU-Derby match online ... that was only the first leg of the home-and-away series. Isn't ManU expected to thrash Derby on the return home?

---

I believe us Caps fans are just upset to be second in the East Conf and only have one representative. We didn't care whether it was Green, Backstrom or Semin; our record merited a second player in Montreal. I wanted it to be Backstrom.

Posted by: Cerealman | January 8, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Richmondphil, thanks for the feedback. Your idea is?

Cereal,
Correct, but I would have preferred us to win handsomely last night so the big guns could be rested for both games. Now Ronny, Roo etc will probably play the second leg. An extra game we didn't need them playing.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 8, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Am i the only one seeing this? Nice circular loop.
Wasn't there a poster looking for a job on IT? I think the Washington Post needs you.

By Tarik El-Bashir | January 8, 2009; 12:01 PM ET
Previous: Thursday Practice Update | Next: Thursday Practice Update

By Tarik El-Bashir | January 8, 2009; 12:01 PM ET
Previous: Ovechkin Earns Spot; Backstrom, Green Snubbed | Next: Ovechkin Earns Spot; Backstrom, Green Snubbed

Posted by: x1232 | January 8, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Makes sense. Ronny and Roo have more important things to worry about than Derby ... like Chelsea and Liverpool, perhaps?

I know it would never work for several reasons ... but can you imagine for a second the NHL working on a relegation format like the Premiership? What if the NHL suddenly kicked out its bottom three teams each year? So right now, Tampa Bay, Atlanta and the NY Islanders are gone.

Now I don't know where'd we relegate those teams ... or who would replace them, but it's a fascinating concept.

Posted by: Cerealman | January 8, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes, this year's ASG selection was a farce. (Next year, I hope the NHL comes up with more reasonable voting requirements -- at least in the MLB, you can only vote 25 times at a time online, and it seemed to involve filling out a ballot online.)

Since this is the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Canadiens, I'm inclined to give them a pass--especially if they don't get much in the way of post season recognition. And the Caps may have a part to play in making that happen.

As far as the issue of Penguins getting more respect than Capitals, I think that issue may take care of itself. If BB has to use his Mercedez Benz cup holder, I don't think respect will remain a problem for long. But seriously, how long will any team get much respect when their franchise player gets confused about the difference between dropping gloves and dropping a puck, and about which end to punch in a fight?

Posted by: miseaujeu | January 8, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

ROFLMAO.....fans are stupid!

Posted by: caphcky | January 8, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Flyers/Wild game is interesting - they even gave props to the Caps by giving kudos to the Flyers for managing to get a point in DC!! They were talking about how the Caps are unbeatable on home ice. Gotta love it ... They also mentioned that Clutterbuck has more hits than any other rookie (and probably more goals against the Caps than any other rookie ;-)).

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 8, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

@Boo: Interesting. We'll see how it goes. I still think we should have been able to do better than that, but that's me.

I'm watching Ottawa @ Boston - better than I expected. The game's knotted at 3, Ottawa has the momentum. They came out slow until Chris Neil dropped the gloves. Good fight, draw I think but it woke Ottawa up.

Come on Ottawa! Smoke 'em in regulation!

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the Penguins-Predators game on local TV here in Tennessee.

1-0, Pit, though Nashville controlled play for much of the first period, then made a bad turnover and Sykora scored.

Love rooting against those Penguins. :)

Posted by: Cerealman | January 8, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Boy, we're just all over the NHL tonight! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 8, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Gawd! As long as Boudreau keeps making dumb comments about Mike Green deserving to be an all-star player that kid will NEVER learn how to play defense in this league. Why would he? He's got an organization who overpays him to play just one end of the ice, and a coach who could care less about defensive hockey. He gets the money, the fame, and all the ice time he wants. He'd LEARN how to play defense or he'd NEVER play for a Scotty Bowman.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 8, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Boston 5-3 final over Ottawa. Pity. Would have liked to get closer. Come on, Caps, we've got to take Columbus tomorrow night.

Florida up on Carolina 3-1 with 12:20 left.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The only Cap to deserve the all-star nod is Ovechkin. Backis started very slow and he's finally playing better, Semin is brilliant and maddening and brittle, and Greenie is the worst "top 4" defensive player in the NHL. There's no one worse. Ovechkin's being the kind gentleman he is with his comments. Boudreau is just so taken with any offensive talent that he ignores everything else

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 8, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Flyers won :-/

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 8, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

cstanton...do you ever have anything positive to say about anything or anyone?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Pit-Nash game is getting exciting! Pittsburgh went up, 3-0; Nashville has rallied for two goals, including a SH. Pit leads, 3-2.

Also, this is baloney. On the Penguins second goal, in which Suter fired the puck off Arnott and it deflected into their own net -- i.e. an own goal -- the scorer gave out two assists, the secondary assist to Crosby. Please. PLEASE!

Posted by: Cerealman | January 8, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@Boo: Bah. :( So did Boston, and final score was 6-4 not 5-3. Poo. Makes it important for us to win tomorrow night vs. Columbus.

@cstanton: On what stats are you basing this? Or is this just your personal opinion based on the way you prefer to see hockey played?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Cerealman (Tim?):
How much time is left? LET'S GO PREDS!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 8, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I say drop the ASG and have another outdoor game! I myself am gonna avoid the ASG and the madness that is Obamapalooza and head for the south seas. Don't people realize that Obama signed a 4-year deal?

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | January 8, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Nashville scored again!! Game is tied, 3-3, end of 2nd period!

The name's Daniel, btw. *tips the cap*

Posted by: Cerealman | January 8, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

TheCapitalist1:
I can't remember where I read it, but one of the papers predicted the ASG would go away and all of the focus would be on the WC.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 8, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

What was your previous screen name? That whole WaPo registration thing got me all confused ... sorry about that!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 8, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

now ms. pawz. You gots to know the "c" in cstanton stands for cheef. Why feed even a crumb?
I don't like chippy blue jackets coming in right now. Too much could go wrong btw their hardnoses and just-getting-healthy Caps. Cant bang away at Nash in return, as he's out.
A goal and an assist for Fehr, two fives for Brashear (who won't be need much in MTL).

Posted by: redlineblue | January 8, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

No problem. Formerly known as "Caps fan in TN"

Let's go Predators!

Posted by: Cerealman | January 8, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Also, Nashville outshooting Pittsburgh, 30-10, through two periods.

Third period underway!

Posted by: Cerealman | January 8, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, he never seems to.
I'd be okay if they did away with the All-Star Game, but I'm a huge fan of the skills contest if the guys are really allowed to have fun. It was a bummer last year the Ovie was the only one to figure out what they wanted.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhhh. :) I figured he hadn't attacked GMGM enough to be cheef :) Very true.

3-3 Pens-Preds.

@redlineblue: Hm. Not sure Brash gets two fives. One five, almost definitely - Jared Boll'll probably want to try his luck. After all, one doesn't get a reputation as a top fighter without squaring off against the big boys. Two for ShaMo for roughing after CBJ goes after Semin. Possibly five for Clark. Ovi / Backstrom comes up big and ends up with a hat trick and half a dozen points between them.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 -

We all know you hate Green and we all realize how myopic you are when it comes to NHL defensemen. We realize that averaging nearly a point per game while playing defense does not impress you, nor does leading all D-men in power play goals and being just two goals behind the overall d-man goal scoring leader despite missing 13 games. We realize that Green's +/- of +14 which is good for second on the team does not impress you, nor does the fact that he leads the team in average time on ice...but c'mon man give it a rest. You're treading into windjammer territory for repetitive posting, not to mention the fact that you're flat out wrong.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 8, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

NASHVILLE SCORES! 4-3 Suh-weet.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget that Florida helped us out again tonight. If we can beat the injury-depleted Blue Jackets tomorrow night, it's a 12 point lead and Coach BB to the All Star Game.....

Posted by: Dougeb | January 8, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Florida helped us out more than that...if the pens lose tonight down 4-3 currently...they drop to 10th!!! *cackle*

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 8, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Dougeb: Yup. :) We need to win tomorrow night for a pile of reasons. I think we can handle them but we've got to come out full and take them seriously, and crash the net. Mason is too good, and I highly doubt that CBJ will put LeClaire in against us.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 8, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

penguins lose 5-3, drop to 10th in the EAST!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 8, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

John Tavares got traded to the London Knights. He joins Caps prospects Justin Taylor & John Carlson.

Oshawa and London swapped a forward, a dman and a goalie, while Oshawa also got four second-round draft picks and two third-round picks. Geez, talk about an expensive promise.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Cerealman:
THAT'S right!! :-) Sorry about that! So how they doin' now?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 8, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather we not loudly and publicly wallow in Pittsburgh's misery. Granted, a tiny part of me is laughing hysterically just because its Pittsburgh, but it seems to me like just begging to get knocked on our a$$es. A bad month and we could be keeping them company. Not that I'm not excited, I guess I'm just being Rita Reality or Suzie Superstitious.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

nahh...you just must not have been to many playoff games in the patrick division era. if so you would savor every moment of misery the pens/flyers and rangers suffer!...but mostly the pens since they always filled up our stands more and were very annoying!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 8, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

plus it is doubley satisfying since OV got snubbed from starting the all-stars that the other two starters go in as a 10th place team.

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 8, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@kitty
>>Ovi / Backstrom comes up big and ends up with a hat trick and half a dozen points between them.

You've already seen this episode?!? Frickin netflix.

I too am limiting my grin about the suffering Pittsburgh Crosbys. If they don't make the you-know-whats, or get there only to be trashed by the Caps, then my repressed gloating will sweeten the pot.
Schultz will flippin' demolish someone at the offside dot in the 2nd, then flip a backhand pass that springs Kozlov on a semi-breakaway. Stupid crossbar!

Posted by: redlineblue | January 8, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

CapsSkins, I was about seven when the Patrick Division was dissolved. And in Canada. I've pretty much moved on from the ASG shenanigans. I put my unlimited text plan to full use last month without anything to show for it besides a phone bill that's thick enough to pass for a phone book. Guess its just my fear of bad karma.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 8, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

kittypaws

I know I'll get in trouble here to say this, but Philly has a fair number of good players. I like Richards and Coburn, too.

I guess what miffs me the most is that the Montreal and Pittsburgh, and Chicago and LA fans doing this have robbed us. It wasn't like it was of any real value, but they wrecked what little good there was.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 9, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

It sounds nice to say we want Backstrom, Semin, and Green to rest up anyway, and we don't care about the game and all that, but Green and Semin have had plenty of rest lately, so I don't know how much more of that they need, and I don't know how strenuous an exhibition game with next to no hitting or defense really is.

I think the really good thing that comes from this, and the reason Boudreau is commenting on it publicly, is that it could light a fire under these guys, which could make them play just a tiny bit better.

Besides, Green and Semin have been out for a while, so you could argue their absences should take them down a notch, and I'm not sure it's totally unreasonable to say that Backstrom isn't quite worthy of being an all-star just yet. So, yeah, I don't really mind the snubs so much, and I'm hoping it helps the Capitals. I just doubt the extra rest is all that necessary.

Posted by: youaresquishy | January 9, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin should STAY HOME. Shove it right up bettman's rear end. They only market sid the kid anyway. The game is a joke.

Posted by: bundy44 | January 9, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

@ SombreroGuy

Thanks for your comments to cstanton1 about Green. Green has skating moves like nobody else in the leage now. He is the new version of Paul Coffey. He skakes like him,shoots like him and scores like him. Coffey took a little time to develop his D game, and MG his ahead of him in that department.

Who is on the ice and the end of most games when we are protecting a 1 goal lead......Mike Green.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 9, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Just a thought.

Posted by: NFeKPo | January 8, 2009 1:14 PM

@NFeKPo: I LIKE it!!!!!

We are the Washington Capitals.
We are the Black Sheep of the NHL.
Live it, Love it, Embrace it!

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | January 8, 2009 1:20 PM

@LIVINIT1: I can certainly support that argument. Rememeber when Jeremy Roenick became a UFA at the end of his time in Phoenix? GMGM followed the NHL rules and and waited until the appopriate date to approach Roenick about coming to the Washington...only to find out on that date that Roenick's signing with Philthadelphia was ALREADY A DONE DEAL!!!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 8, 2009 7:07 PM

@RicketyCricket: I LOVE it!!! LOL...Maybe Punches Per Minute also?

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 9, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse