Caps recall Aucoin, Giroux

With Alexander Semin "touch and go" with an illness and Boyd Gordon out with a sore back, the Caps have recalled forwards Keith Aucoin and Alexandre Giroux from Hershey.

No word yet on who will play tonight in Atlanta (7 p.m., CSN), but Tarik will get a glimpse at the lineup when the morning skate begins at 11:30. Stay tuned.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  October 22, 2009; 10:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: passing fancy
Next: Semin sidelined vs. Atlanta

Comments

Giroux was Thrashers property for a while - stick it to 'em Alex!!!

Posted by: panic13 | October 22, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I'll be there at Phillips Arena tonight ... here's to hoping I get to see Semin play.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 22, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I hope this is not the start of another season where Semin can't stay healthy.

Posted by: carsonspence | October 22, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Luden's Cherry Cough Drops...>STAT.

Posted by: carsonspence | October 22, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Wish they had brought up one of the kids so they can start getting some time with the big club so they can stop being prospects and start being players.

Posted by: superpaqman | October 22, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see some "new" blood take a whack at it. Perrault? Beagle? Osala?

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | October 22, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

If Giroux doesn't start taking advantage of his opportunities he will be the next Chris Bourque. Too bad Aucoin doesn't play center.

Posted by: doughless | October 22, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

additional caphit for new blood? =)

Posted by: Rambutan_ru | October 22, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

doughless: Love your user ID. And I totally agree with you on Giroux.. we already know he gets the shivers in the NHL. Let's see how someone else holds up.

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | October 22, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless | October 22, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Uh....Aucoin does play center. I would put a 3rd line of Aucoin, Giroux and Clark. Move Laich to LW w/ Backstrom and Fehr.
Keep the 3rd/4th Line of Stecks, Omar, and Laing as they have played extremely well together.

Posted by: opus1m | October 22, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Oh right, cap hit...why must it always come back to Nyls?

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | October 22, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I am curious about tonights lines. Just guessing but I see something like...

Ovi-Nicky-Knubs
Giroux-BMo-Laich
Clark-Aucoin-Fehr
Brads-Stecks-Brads

The other option is to keep Aucoin and Giroux together since they know each other and put Clark up on the 2nd line.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 22, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Yes the cap hit would restrict us from calling up Beagle or Osala. Perreault could be called up but it is probably more of a money issue outside of the cap.

Aucoin is on a 1-way deal so he makes the same (500K) if he is up or down. The young prospects are all on 2-way deals which means we are paying them less to play in Hershey. With that in mind the team is saving some money by calling up Aucoin because they would have to pay the NHL salaries of the kids if they came up.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 22, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

...because they would have to pay the NHL salaries of the kids if they came up.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 22, 2009 11:26 AM

That's unfortunate because I realy liked what I saw of Jay Beagle. All in time I suppose...

Posted by: Fro_ | October 22, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fro_

Same here Fro_. I like Beags and with his size, speed and grit he could make a better 3rd line center then Stecks.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 22, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Giroux definitely playing....Semin didn't even make the trip to Atlanta via twitter.

Posted by: ThePat | October 22, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

They are on the ice now for their morning skate. Any updates on the lines?

Posted by: pkendrick | October 22, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@I'd like to see some "new" blood take a whack at it. Perrault? Beagle? Osala?

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | October 22, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I would be surprised to see Perrault or Osala at all this year. I think they would rather have them playing lots and lots of minutes as opposed to just a few with the big boys.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 22, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

BB didn't give out line combinations in his interview, so not sure. Just said Semin and Goron are out the other two are in. I assume Aucoin on the third line and Giroux on the 2nd line but not positive.

Posted by: ThePat | October 22, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Giroux is nearly 30 years old. not really a prospect at this point. you kinda know what you get with him. Amazing player in the minors. hopefully some of that will translate on the CAPS.

Posted by: sa11231 | October 22, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

I was hoping Tarik or Lindsay would have apdate on who is skating with who during today's morning skate.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 22, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

That will be Tariks update, he was the one who asked the questions in the interview. BB also wouldn't divulge who the goalie will be tonight.

Posted by: ThePat | October 22, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

actually Tarik just updated that Varly is starting.

Posted by: ThePat | October 22, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Again, i.e. Semin...Backstrom must be priority no.1 to get resigned to a nice long contract.I like Semin, but fragile and I would not lose any tears like I would if Nicky did not resign with us.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 22, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick

Concerning your line combos. I'm sure they will separate Ovie and Backy again tonight, especially with Semin out. They'll want to spread out the talent. I would guess something like this:

Ovie-BMo-Knubs
Giroux-Backs-Laich
Clark-Aucoin-Fehr
Brads-Stecks-Laing

Posted by: JD09 | October 22, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"Alexander Semin did not come to ATL, so he's out tonight. BB said its a combo of sick and ill." From Tarik's twitter

LMAO. BB how do you get with it?

Posted by: hock1 | October 22, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I meant to ask BB how he gets away with those silly statements.

Posted by: hock1 | October 22, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

hock, probably like the difference between being hurt and injured. you play hurt but not injured. i think semin would play if he was just sick but not when he's ill...BB's no doctor thats for sure.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 22, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

It's Tarik's typo, he meant to say 'sick and sore'.

Listen to BB, it starts with Tarik asking the question about Semin, "Is he hurt or sick?"

washcaps: Bruce Boudreau talks to the press after skate. http://tmic.fm/ow8n0g5ibd1

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 22, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Is Semin sick?

BB: It's combination of both :)

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 22, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Funny that BB didn't admit that Anderson is a hell of a coach. They are friends, but I think there's a lot of competition between them.

Anderson seems to know how to play against BB and his system/style. If Caps lose tonight, I won't be surprised.

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 22, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

If Semin is out due to flu-like symptoms rather than sprained ankle-like symptoms, I don't think that is another example of his fragility. I second what was typed here earlier. If we have to let Semin go to retain Nick, so be it.

Posted by: chopin224 | October 22, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse