Caps Recall Giroux (Update)

Donald Brashear will indeed miss tonight's game with a sprained knee. Also, because a another forward is feeling "ill," the team has recalled Alexandre Giroux as a precaution, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau. If the undisclosed forward can't go -- Boudreau wouldn't say which player is ailing or what might be wrong with him -- Giroux will play.

Update:Michael Nylander will replace Brashear.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 12, 2009; 5:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brashear on Fighting: Don't Change a Thing
Next: Tonight's Lineup

Comments

god I hope it is Nysl that is "sick"

Posted by: griffin13 | March 12, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I bet you it's Ovie....

Posted by: SA-Town | March 12, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

i'm assuming this counts as an emergency call up and not one of our four allotted call ups?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 12, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Unless it's Semin who's ill rather than Ovi. If it's either of them, not good news.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 12, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Have a feeling it's from one of the top 2 lines. Without Brash and Bradley probably not willing to drop the gloves after the bloody fiasco, Philly will look to bully this team.

Posted by: visionof75 | March 12, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Looks like BB doesn't like this "ill" hokey player.

Posted by: voyM | March 12, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Come on boys! Of all nights to feel "ill!"

Stick it to 'em CAPS!!

Posted by: cfrazier9 | March 12, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Nylander for Brash......yeah, that's putting in a like player.

Nylander will drop the gloves against Carcillo.

Posted by: kolbkl | March 12, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

This doesn't sound good. If BB isn't saying who it is, then it's probably Ovi or Sasha.I really hope it's neither of them, but if it one them I hope this is enough motivation for the Caps to play as a Team and kick the Flyers butts.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 12, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

You wouldn't know it to look at the last few decades, but Nylander's an ANIMAL, okay? If you don't believe me, ask the sisters of mercy, who found his behavior along the boards so shockling that they stopped coming to games.
Flyers will be wary of messing with 92. Mark my---oh, the hell with it.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 12, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

For those on the blog who just can't help themselves and continue to show their astounding ignorance of hockey, please read Japers Rink on Shultz

Posted by: majiksea | March 12, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Watch Nyls drop the gloves tonight.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 12, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Seeing that Giroux plays center he could be replacing Nicky of Feds. I hope it's just precautionary and all our guys get to play tonight.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 12, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I just hope that whomever is ill, they don't spread that ish to the rest of the team. quarantine that mofo...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 12, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

@majiksea,

Great link. I haven't read Japers in awhile, and that's a well-reasoned article. I'll admit that I like Jeff Schultz as a player, so maybe I'm a tad biased. I do wish he would hit more, but that doesn't mean he isn't effective.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 12, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: majiksea | March 12, 2009 5:45 PM

The way people resort to petty insults on this board when they disagree with others' opinions is really sad. Not liking a particular player, or his particular style of hockey, doesn't make a person ignorant. Many people have posted completely legitimate observations about Schultz's speed and physical play (or lack thereof). It doesn't make you ignorant if you would prefer a defenseman with more speed who hits harder over one with less speed who hits less hard. You're entitled to like him and others are equally entitled to not like him.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 12, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

well said capsfan26.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 12, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: I try to be the voice of reason. I know I'm probably tilting at windmills, but hope springs eternal I guess.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 12, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I "don't like" Crosby, but I would never say he is a bad hockey player. I "don't like" the way Briere plays the game, but would never say he is a bad hockey player. I "don't like" the way Nylander fits into our system, but I would never say he is a bad hockey player. I too wish Shultz would HIT SOMEONE, but he is not a bad hockey player. Your argument makes no sense.

Posted by: majiksea | March 12, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Giroux needs to dish the puck more.

On the Schultz article - if he only cleared the crease, I'd have no problems with him.

Tonight is going to be a good test. GO CAPS!

Posted by: pch49 | March 12, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan
If you read this blog you know that there are those on the blog that blame Schultz for every problem and every loss the Caps have ever had or ever will have. There are posters on this blog who would blame Shultz for a Caps loss if he was rehabing in Hershey. It is to those posters my post was aimed. There have been many times at home in front of the TV and at the Phone Booth in my seats where I have yelled "SHULTZ" in a very unkind way, but he is not a bad hockey player. If you think he is, please look at the facts!

Posted by: majiksea | March 12, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: majiksea | March 12, 2009 6:06 PM

Um, I didn't say Schultz was a bad player, so which argument made no sense, exactly? I'm frustrated with his slowness and his apparent inability (or unwillingness, or both) to hit people. He's got good qualities too, and he's young, so I'm hoping he'll develop and get better, but right now I'm not satisfied with what I see from him. Bad - no. Good enough - I think reasonable minds could differ. And insulting people gets you nowhere.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 12, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know any sites that will be streaming tonights game?

Posted by: larisa83 | March 12, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Re Schultz and the Japers' column, what's that old saying? Something like "There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics".

Posted by: capsfan77 | March 12, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Got the right quote (Mark Twain?): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics". Just wanted to make it accurate.

Posted by: capsfan77 | March 12, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Here we go Schultz again!

We know he's slow, he rarely hits and doesn't clear the crease and also screens our goalie(this in particular really annoys me)but he is here and we can't do anything about it other than state our opinions.

Anyway I really hope Brads is the forward who's ill. Even though he said he'll be 100% tonight, I think he sit this one out tonight and get some rest.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 12, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

We would have world peace by know if it weren't for Shultz.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 12, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need to have the team (coaches and front office included) wearing Michael Jackson-esque surgical masks at all times.

Posted by: superpaqman | March 12, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

You're entitled to like him and others are equally entitled to not like him.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 12, 2009 5:56 PM

Where doesn't rooting for him to get hurt fall in there?

Posted by: Section117 | March 12, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

lol @ mikebrady1

Seriously though, statistics really don't tell the whole story. If you let a forward get around you because you're too slow, and he shoots it wide or the goalie makes a save - that doesn't get reflected in the stats. If you go after a loose puck and get beaten to it because you're too slow or you aren't physical enough along the boards - that doesn't get reflected in the stats. If you screen the goalie or fail to clear a guy out of the crease - again, that doesn't get reflected in the stats, especially if there's no goal or it's a PP goal so it doesn't show up in +/-. See where I'm going with this?

Yes, Schultz has some good qualities and makes some good plays, and the statistics reflect those. The problem is, all the times he makes mistakes and gets bailed out by a teammate or simply gets lucky, don't necessarily get reflected in the stats, but those of us who are watching the games see those mistakes with our own eyes and get frustrated. I find myself yelling "Oh come ON, Schultz!" more often than I yell "Oh come ON, [other defensemen]." Not that the other defensemen are perfect - far from it! - but Schultz's mistakes just seem more glaring, somehow.

I guess my point is, there's no right or wrong here. If you like him, you're going to find support for why you think he's good. If you don't like him, you're going to find support for why you think he's not good enough. I just hope he plays a more physical game tonight than he usually does.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 12, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Tarik!

Its time to show some love to Steckel, man...When Fehr got hot, Steckel was a significant part of that. Now, Laich is hot....yeah baby, look who's right there making a difference!!!!

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | March 12, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

what the hell is a schultz?

new VW model?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope these winning ways continue tonight.

Typically I wouldn't do this, but so far my search has been fairly fruitless, does anyone have 2 tickets to the game Saturday vs. the 'Canes? I need to buy a pair, but haven't had any luck so far finding any.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | March 12, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Unless a guy is sick and puking on the ice tonight Giroux shouldnt be playing. Sick players fight through it in a game against your biggest rival. Thats just my opinion, unless they are using "sick" for being hurt

Posted by: ThePat | March 12, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

If the "sick" player is either Ovie or Semin, my bet is on Semin. I mean, come on! Look at their track record. Hopefully it is neither one of them.

Tonight we will know--win or lose--whether the Caps have snapped the losing streak and learned from mistakes. A success tonight--even if it is playing well but tying--will have a huge impact. I hope to God that Phily doesn't dominate, or throw us off or embarras us in any way. I'd rather be beaten by any other team than Phily and the Pens.

Posted by: caraveli | March 12, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Why does comcast insist on showing the clip of Erskine giving a low blow on one of the flyers players on the game commercial for tonight?

Posted by: superpaqman | March 12, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Fed's is out...he is sick

Posted by: SA-Town | March 12, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse