Caps Rout Flyers in Rookie Game

Bob Woods and Bruce Boudreau were both pleased with the way the 7-0 win over the Flyers rookies showcased the organization's goal to have the same system from the top down. This was the style they wanted to see from the rookies, the energy and the grit they were looking for. Granted, no one really expected this type of blowout but that was as much a testament to the goaltending as it was anything else.

"I thought they did a very good job to adhere to what we were trying to teach them," Boudreau said. "I think overall, all the support that they've showed in the way that we want to play, the aggressiveness and the speed -- it looked like hopefully the real Caps would look in the future."

There's a scoring summary at the bottom of the post but the line that really clicked well was Francois Bouchard, Mathieu Perreault and Steve Pinizzotto. Each scored a goal and the group combined for six points.

"Every loose puck in the zone they were on it," Hershey coach Bob Woods said. Bouchard and Perreault "think a lot alike and Pinner puts on a little bit of grit, to do the tough stuff in front of the net and let the other two guys buzz around. They really connected and every time they stepped on the ice they made things happen."

Perreault had arguably the niftiest goal of the game in the third period, when he did a toe drag to skirt around a Flyer defenseman before getting the puck on net. He and Bouchard are almost always together, on or off the ice and Boudreau said he was equally impressed with the pair.

"I thought that was the best I've seen them look," Boudreau said. "They made some great plays and they scored some goals, but it was their tenaciousness. They never quit. They were working both ends of the ice and they were finishing checks. Whereas last year's camp and maybe the summer camp, for the most part, they had a tendency not to work as hard as that."

**Josh Godfrey looked great on the powerplay and had a nice assist on Pinizzotto's goal. It'll be interesting to see how he develops in Hershey this year. Also, the washingtonpost.com folks did a video feature on Godfrey that should be up in the coming week or so.

**There were several scraps throughout the game, the first and perhaps most notable coming when Viktor Dovgan fought Josh Beaulieu. John Carlson and Oskar Osala got into their own skirmishes in the third period.

Boudreau on Dovgan: "We thought if anybody would get involved it'd be Viktor. He's a guy that plays an awful lot like Darius Kasparitis. He doesn't fight, but today he fought and he did well against what the scouts tell me was a pretty tough boy....He has no fear and that's the kind of guy you can use on your team."

**None of the goaltenders were tested all that much, but held their own when the Flyers did create some opportunities. And Boudreau is happy to see the continued internal competition between Simeon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth.

"Varlamov had two big saves to make in the first period and Neuvirth at the end had two or three himself," Boudreau said. "You could almost see Michal saying: 'I'm not letting one in I'm not letting one in.'"

Here's the scoring summary:
First:
5:59 -- PPG Morin (Bouchard, Carlson)
17:26 -- PPG Bouchard (Perreault, Pinizzotto)

Second:
11:11-- PPG Pinizzotto (Godfrey, Alzner)
14:18 -- PPG Morin (Beagle, Kugryshev)

Third:
4:42 - Lacroix (Morin)
11:58 - Taylor (Broda, Dovgan)
12:44 - Perreault

By Katie Carrera  |  September 18, 2008; 7:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fedorov: 'It's Just a Dispute'
Next: Minor Moves

Comments

firsttt! i wish i could have gone but school made it not-so-possible :[

Posted by: m | September 18, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjk | September 18, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Which rookies are staying for the big camp ?

Posted by: Cap Fan in Canada | September 18, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Well how much fun was that?!? :-D They came out strong - hitting hard from the get go. I was surprised by all of the scraps/fights - they were giving it their all!! Alzner and Bouchard were really impressive. Despite what BB said about Carlson earlier this week, I actually think he was more impressive earlier this summer (maybe he had an off day?). Overall a lot of fun and left me wanting for more ... I can't wait until next week!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | September 18, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

(From previous threads)

NJ:
Why Pinto?

Greenie:
Please see my previous post and let me know if you want more details. RE: the Canes, I actually may be going to a game in NC and was told that they don't sell tickets to the public until the month before each game - what's up with that?!?

kenwood:
I'm in - how are you taking up the collection?

Dave:
I was just teasing!! :-) Surely you, of all people, can take it! If not, well then I am going to have to gang up on you with Leeguru RE: the Ryder Cup ... ;-) BTW, did you watch the rookie game?

Anonymous:
The group welcomes new people ALL of the time (we were all new at one point!). Just keep in mind, playing nice goes a looong way ...

CT:
So, you're ready for a new season, huh?!? :-) So am I - bring it on! LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | September 18, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Fifth!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Seems like BB has these kids excited and GMGM has picked up some gems in the rough. It's nice to have so many young players with so much raw talent to harness and hone.

Posted by: JIM | September 18, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

That had to have been a rough bus ride back to Philly. :)

Posted by: keef | September 18, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Just who is this "Retard" Ziiing, anyway? He's obviously extremely verbally challenged, judging from his rather foul choice of words. Apparently, he's a remnant of a supposed extinct species, Neanderthal. I suggest he return to his cave until summoned into the light. Dig?

Posted by: Puckguru | September 18, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I really liked the play of Morin, Bouchard, Oskala, Carlton, Lacroix, Perreault, Dovgan, and Pinizzotto. Seeing these kids on the ice must send shivers down the spines of some of the lads on the big team. It will be a very interesting camp next year. There will be some very new faces in DC.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 18, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Hershey will be AWESOME this year.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 18, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

A few pics from Kettler today.
Got both big saves by Varlamov in the first.

Hey Tarik....you need a photographer..... :-)

Posted by: Rdiehljr | September 18, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

what a way to spend a little of this thursday afternoon!!! all i can say is that Caps rookies only confirm the rebuild and build from within approach. LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!

Posted by: doughless | September 18, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik - Any word on Eric Mestery? I don't think I saw him after he got blindsided with an elbow to the head. Looked a little woozey getting up.

Other than that, awesome game. I was lucky enough to get to stand ice level right behind the net.

Oscar Osala is an absolute freight train. He and Jay Beagle (i think because I am doing this from memory) had an awesome PK together and kept the puck in Philly's end for the better part of a minute. He is not impressive when he gets the puck in space though, but I guess that is to be expected from a big man.

Bouchard and Perrault are going to be a treat for Bears fans to watch this year. They had some nice chemistry

And is there something about the Flyers jersey that makes a hockey player immediately become a thug? There were a LOT of cheap shots there, but I am glad out guys stood up for themselves.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 18, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I stood right next to Sombrero Guy.....he actually wore a Sombrero....How bout that. Should have saved it for the regular season.....but a nice touch none the less...

Posted by: Rdiehljr | September 18, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

so no one has a video of this whole game that's up on some site already? i thought we were supposed to be the most tech savvy fans.

Posted by: ranndino | September 18, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo

Oh yeah, I am more than ready as everyone else is.

That was a fun whooping to watch. Am I the only one amazed at the "sold out" KCI for a rookie game? Who says this can't be a hockey town? I would be surprised if other teams have the same kind of excitement and support going into the year.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | September 18, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

And yeah I liked what I saw from Dovgan. Played with a mean streak. Carlson needs Donald Brashear camp and Osala was being grabbed before he even had a chance to drop his stick and gloves but I liked the toughness they all showed.

@Rdiehljr

The first caps game I ever wore the sombrero too was This one last year http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270928023 and i didn't get to wear it until the third period. I figured I'd keep the tradition alive. Hopefully the good luck continues this season

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 18, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised it sounds like Godfrey did well offensively, but how did he look defensively? That has been the big knock on him.

Posted by: reekie | September 18, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from working a soccer game. JMU shutout Penn State. Not a good day for teams from PA.
That game got me so excited for the season. Talking and reading hockey is one thing, but its completely different actually getting to watch the game.
Go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 18, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

how good is hershey gonna be this year?!?...the caps are gonna be awesome, and the bears just keep lookin better and better...GO CAPS! GO BEARS! GO RAYS!

Posted by: ldvballguy | September 18, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Godfrey didn't strike me as being a defensive dynamo but he also never struck me as being a liability. He was solid but generally speaking the Flyers did not create much sustained pressure.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 19, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Boo!

I knew you were joking!!

Unfortunately I was busy last night and so didn’t even get to see if the stream would work for me. Shame because I seem to have missed a cracker. Glad that my boy Osala played well. I’m looking for big things from “The Shark” (Big Finn – get it?)

Did all 3 Caps goalies get a period each?Only SV and NM seem to have been mentioned. Pretty cool if each shut out the Flyers for a period.

As for the Ryder Cup, I fully expect all of you to gang up on me! I may not be on here for a while if Europe lose!! 4 hours to go!!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 19, 2008 3:19 AM | Report abuse

When a game like this ends with the coach being dissappointed that he didn't get to see much from the goalies, you know something is working.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | September 19, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Godfrey you rock!

Posted by: billy | September 19, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

@Dave

Yes all three goalies played and you could see the determination in the third period not to let a goal in after the first 2 goalies had shut out Filthy, even though the Flyer kids were obviously pressing much harder.

Posted by: Bob | September 19, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Tarik

Other then Alzner, who from rookie camp is staying for training camp?

Posted by: Ken | September 19, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Boo -

That's a line from Animal House, Belushi giving pledge names to the Pledges (Anon is pledging to be a menber of this blog, or thinks he needs to). Pinto was played by Tom Hulce (Amadeus) but the signifigance of the name cannot be detailed here in this G rated blog...

Posted by: NJ | September 19, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
You did miss out - it was a great game from the first puck drop. Those kids are good and determined. As Bob said, all 3 keepers played (you called it!) and Holtby was actually the second one in (Neuvirth [sp?] was actually not even dressed for the first two periods). Frankly, I don't know why Holtby does not get more press - he played really well and seemed to be really into the game. Anyway, hopefully someone will post the game so you can still watch it - I wouldn't mind watching the TV view, myself (most seats at Kettler are obstructed).

CT:
It was a riot! :-) I was actually surprised that more people were not there - the rookie game earlier this summer felt more packed. To be fair, Kettler is tiny so I suppose it is easy to sell out, but it was still great to see all of those Caps jerseys there (even being on a elevator full of Caps fans on the way up was pretty funny! :-D). Are you coming down for any games this season? I can't remember - did you say that you are now a STH?

Posted by: Boo! | September 19, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

NJ:
Ah! I forgot!! :-) While I remember the movie well, I don't remember most of their names (story of my life - I am terrible with names ... and you are?!?). Anyway, I don't know which anonymous that was - one is definitely female. I have no idea whether or not that one is her.

Posted by: Boo! | September 19, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Will this be televised? I've watched 3 or 4 other rookie games on the NHLHD channel via Cox HD. Blues, TB vs. Rangers, Detroit vs. Minnesota (I think). I saw the cameras at the game, but they could just be for team review purposes. It was cool to see all the CAPS there, except for Mr. Hair Cuttery...

Posted by: Wake Rat | September 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Boo

From what I gathered through conversations with fans from other teams, it is not common for people to take off from work on a Thursday afternoon to pack a house for a rookie game. One of the guys I spoke with who is a die hard Rangers fan was amazed that anyone would even watch a game through a stream.

This team has amazing support and it is great to see!

I am a partial plan holder so I will be coming down for a handful of games. I will also be taking in all 6 games played in the NY Metro area.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | September 19, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game so only going on the box score and have to ask where is the Morin love? 2 PPG in 1st game - this following a great rookie season in SC. And he is never mentioned can anyone that was at the game tell me how he looked?

Posted by: Deep South Caps Fan | September 19, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Wake Rat:
By "Mr. Hair Cuttery" do you mean Ovie? If so, he was there ...

Deep South Caps Fan:
Clearly, based on goals/points alone, Morin was great. I was trying to keep an eye on him but it was hard! :-) Not sure if he is 'all that' or was just in the right place at the right time. Regardless, based on the #s, I'd say he is one to watch.

CT:
See ya at the VC!! :-D

Does anyone know what the SOGs and PIMs were yesterday?

Posted by: Boo! | September 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@Wake Rat:

I'm pretty sure he was there watching, he was with the group of players in the corner in the middle.

Posted by: Section 117 | September 19, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Ovie was there and Semin was standing right next to him

Posted by: Tim | September 19, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

new thread!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

@Deep South Caps Fan

Morin made a nifty move int he slot to get his first goal.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 19, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Perreault Fan | September 19, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I really was expecting a good game bit it ended up being a laugher. Our goalies were rarely tested and our entire team outclassed and outplayed the Flyers.

Devils advocate would say that the Flyers were without their best two young players not to play in the NHL, Claude Giroux and James van Riemsdyk. But even with those two guys it would not have prevented a win by the young Caps.

The players that stood out at me were the entire 1st line. Perrault, as small as he is, doesnt get pushed around and is extremely skilled. Bouchard was by far the best forward on any team, he looked fantastic. Pinizotto looks like he would be a great 4th line player, always getting into the fray and has skill to boot.

To be honest, the 2nd line did very little. I don't know what Puckguru was watching, but Osala did nothing of note. He's big and runs over people, and thats great but that can't be all he is. Beagle looked ok, I've seem him look better. Kugryshev looks to be in the mix for the future.

We had probably 3 or 4 NHL goals the others were just plain bad goals giving up by the Flyers. That said Morin shined in 3rd line duty, Lacroix looked fast on the wing and Leffler was solid and overall looked better than line 2 by a wide margin.

Defensively, we looked very sound. No one stood out as being dominate but everyone looked very solid with the exception of Mestery who kind of looked lost from time to time.

I was sitting right next to Rog #94 and he was hysterical, yelling and pretty much keeping our section amused. There was one lone Flyer fan with a Simon Gagne sweater on near us and he couldnt bare to watch after Perraults amazing effort on his goal.

Posted by: JSchon | September 19, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

@Deep South Caps Fan:

I've been high on Morin (sounds wierd when you read it) since he's been in SC...

I followed his #71 whenever I could see it in frame and he looked like his 2 goals were well earned... his positioning looked pretty good... I was impressed with his passing and transition...

basically, I think he's a sleeper of the caps picks.

Anyone that can post 80+ points in the ECHl without wearing glasses has got to have talent to spare...

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 19, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the Morin updates - I got to see a number of his college games and liked him a lot - He's one of my favorite prospects.

Posted by: Deep South Caps Fan | September 19, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse