Caps send qualifying offers to nine

As General Manager George McPhee told us a few days ago, the Caps have issued qualifying offers to all nine of their restricted free agents.

Now it's official, per the team.

Current roster players Eric Fehr, Tomas Fleischmann, Jeff Schultz and Boyd Gordon as well as prospects Jay Beagle, Chris Bourque, Andrew Gordon, Patrick McNeill, Zach Miskovic have all received the one-year tenders.

By making a qualifying offer, the Caps retain the players' negotiating rights and the opportunity to match an offer from another team. If one of the RFAs does sign an offer sheet from another team, the Caps would be entitled to draft pick compensation.

The players have until July 15 to accept or decline the Caps' offer. But they can begin talking to other teams about an offer sheet tomorrow (though they can't sign it until July 1).

July 5 is the deadline for players to request salary arbitration. Eight of the Caps' RFAs have arbitration rights, but the ones you need to worry about are Fehr, Fleischmann and Schultz because it's possible, if not likely, each of them will receive a significant raise over their 2009-10 salary.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 28, 2010; 3:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL draft 2010: Overview of the Caps' picks
Next: McPhee: Caps to proceed prudently in free agency

Comments

Is there any information available on the Fehr and Schultz negotiations? Each could be very interesting.

Posted by: zmega | June 28, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Is there any information available on the Fehr or Schultz negotiations? Each could be very interesting.

Posted by: zmega | June 28, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Fehr and Shultz should get more money, GM GM needs to split Flash's salary between them and get them both signed up and tell flash C YA LATER no room for sleepers here had enough of it last season

Posted by: bqts | June 28, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Schultz had a great regular season last year but that was a brutal playoffs for him. Hard to say how negotiations are going to go based on that. They should have traded Flash or Fehr at the deadline last year to get something in return. With all the forwards they brougth in it didn't make much sense to have them both around.

Posted by: Stu_c | June 28, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I disagree on trading Fehr. All things point to next season being very big for Fehr. just in time to let Knuble go after the season, should they go that route (i'm not so sure I would since Knuble warmed up late in the season)

I am curious as to how much Schultz gets. it could be the biggest factor is signing a UFA D.

That and Flash resigning or getting traded.

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 28, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

whats up with all the 'trade flash' talk? so he didnt have a good post season,well what cap did besides ovie and backie.while ovi was out he was our leadin points maker.yes,he didnt have a great second half but he had alot of issues going on with him then.I think with a good summer to rest and heal he can come in have a good camp and i bet he'll have a way more productive season than he has yet.If not and he doesnt produce,then trade him at deadline or before but i think he should be givin the chance to show what hes really got which i think is something special and so does BB,not sayn that matters but... 'trade semin' is the talk we should be sayn!GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | June 28, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Screw trading anyone. Let's see how this team gels in a regular, non-Olympic, hopefully healthy season. I think there is still a little developing going on and love the team as it has been constructed (especially if someone can fill the second line center slot effectively).
I'd much rather enjoy an era of stability where you can enjoy both the stars AND the heart and soul role players on a team than listen to every armchair GM/player scream about how they would trade everyone but Ovi and Nick for whatever superstar they heard on NHL Network or read in some publication is a pending free agent.
That is just Daniel Snyderesque-thinking.
We are better than that.
Go Caps!!!

Posted by: chucktownCAPSfan | June 28, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Amen chucktownCAPSfan ..maybe if Dan Snyder was the Caps GM they could win a Cup

Posted by: heathdog1119 | June 28, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

rumors are we are going after Willie Mitchell? Kaberle?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | June 28, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

i think teams are a bit gunshy on Willie after his concussion but for me frankly I don't see a significant upgrade over letting Mo go and replacing him with Mitchell.

Mo and Willie are two peas in a pod. They both take the body. They both like hitting other team's skill players and aren't afraid of it although neither one is Bryan Marchment. They're both built very similarly. And I think the fact that Mo is 5 yrs younger plus his head is healthier equals out any puck moving advantage that Mitchell has.

Kaberle would make sense. Good god would it make sense for this team to go after him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 28, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@lylewimbledon

Link please?

I agree 100% on Mitchell... he should be the only target since he'll be cheaper and a better option than Volchenkov and others...

Kaberle? BWAAAA, please god no! *cries*

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 28, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

You can prolly google his name and the Caps and find a dozen links

I don't know who creates rumors but anytime a defenseman (esp one who can play D) is on the block it seems the Caps get tossed into the mix as an interested party. Unless the Caps explicitly deny interest.

I'm going to create a rumor right here. Unknown sources within the organization have offered up Tomas Fleischmann, Karl Alzner, Boyd Gordon and a 2nd round draft pick for Brandon Dubinsky, Marc Staal, and Brandon Prust.

I bet in 3 days this will hit the offical rumor mill.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 28, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

hey guys, not sure if you seen it but jimmy vandemeer was put on waivers today. he's always amongst league leaders in hits.

Posted by: sdima | June 28, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Boston would be interested in Flash for Savard? Hmmmm

Posted by: j3rockstar | June 28, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are loaded with skill upfront. Alzner and Carlson will step up and plug the D holes. We have some gritty players in Hershey that can replace Walker who was worthless. Goaltending... Kind of iffy, but a veteran can always be had at the trade deadline if needed. I don't see the need for a major trade.

I'd like to see McPhee sign the Boogieman to protect the youngsters and answer the bell.

Posted by: FLDave | June 28, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Volchenkov to the rescue! The all time leading shot blocker in league history at 27 years old wants to be a Cap! This is the kind of defenseman we need to help protect our young goalies and the type of player that gets you deep in the playoffs. Unselfish with lots of bruises! He is is a better blue line defender than anyone we have, though we still need one more. This guy, another defender and a second line center. I could car less if they sign Fehr OR Flash to be quite honest. most of the secondary players we have are not even that. They are the reason we cannot trade Semin or Green, much as I would like to. They cannot be depended upon to score if Ovechkin or Backstrom go down so for now you have to keep them, and pay them.

I for one would also like to see them get an enforcer. I think you need one during the regular season to protect your stars. Then you find a reason to put them on the injured list when the playoffs come. Nobody has room for one in the playoffs unless he is also a good defender, but there are only a handful of them.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | June 28, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

LOVE the Fehr and Schultz support. Fehr scores as much and as often as a third line forward should. He does good enough on the 3rd to get at least as much as his linemate Chimera, 1.85 per year. Schultz had a great year and silenced doubters. Yeah the playoffs were rough, but he is not a top-four blueliner that can cover for [the slowly defensively improving] Green. Sign him to a worthy 3rd line D, about $1.75 per year. BTW, Gordon deserves as much as Steckel, $1.100 per year.

@chucktownCAPSfan and @gratefuldid:

I like Flash. I also like Semin. Problem is neither is a second line Center (I know Flash did ok there for a while, but he's not the permanent Center we need). chuck, I like letting these guys have a second chance, but I really think one has to go for a pure Center. gratefuldid, both Semin and Flash are good, albeit inconsistent second line wings; but if your going to change out one, why not the guy who scores less, Flash? Yes, Semin makes sense b/c he will probably leave after next year for money/salary cap purposes. But sometimes you have to think a little about the NOW, and right NOW his 40 goal productivity is better than Flash. Plus, I'm not worried about losing both by next year because we have M. Johannson and A. Gordon coming up. CONCLUSION: I love Flash, but I like Semin more and we need a 2nd line Center. Trade Flash for that Center or a top-D

For CENTER: First get Belanger back for the third line. Then for 2nd line the best, most affordable (around $2.25) options look like the Sens M. Cullen or the Rangers V. Prospal (gotta imagine he'll take a raise and go to a better team with better wings). I don't know if any good rentals are available for trade. Last resort could be convincing Modano to come to us, if he has enough juice left.

For DEFENSE: Try sending Flash and a prospect like A. Gustavsson or a high draft pick to rent Kaberle for a season (w/out having to pay Flash, and getting two centers at around 2.25 million each, 4.5 fits). If we can't get him, I like trying to get a young, under the radar H. Tallinder from Buffalo. It might be risky when we have to pay Alzner and Carlson in the future, but this top four shotblocking blueliner would probably take 3.5 million a year while everyone else is fighting over Volchenkov.

BTW everything i'm suggesting fits the cap. Check the cap calculator on line to see.

Posted by: mcgratsp | June 28, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Tallinder is not young, he's 31. I like Cullen, but Prospal? No thank you.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 28, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

It was the Edmonton Journal that reported the Caps interest in Mitchell. Still rumors floating about Ilya signing here for 1 yr and Semin being dealt for prospects to make it fit cap wise.

Posted by: bukaki23 | June 28, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

We cannot acquire a guy like Kaberle! On defense, he is the direct opposite of what we actually need.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 28, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Losing Semin for Kovalchuk would be a huge mistake. Kovalchuk scores more goals, but Semin knows how to play defense. Likewise, Kaberle would be a huge mistake - he's exactly the type of dman we don't need. Tallinder wouldn't be bad, he is the type of dman we need - but there are other options as well.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 28, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil:

my apologies, you are right, for some reason I thought Tallinder was only like 27. Nonetheless, I still like him as a potential top-4 bargain.

Of course, Cullen would be preferred, but Prospal might not be a bad bargain to settle on. The guy can produce, and it's not his fault he played for a bad team. Grabbing a guy like Cullen or settling for a guy like Prospal all depends on cap management and who will take a short term deal (at some point we need to actually create roster spots for young centers like Perrault, Eakin and Kuznetsov, and maybe Gustaffson).

Posted by: mcgratsp | June 28, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Shultz is our "stay at home" defensemen. I'm sure he'll get a significant raise. That really is a sad state of affairs that Shultz and two rookies (Carlson and Alzner) are our only hope for some solid D between our goalie and the opponents forwards.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | June 28, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mcgratsp | June 28, 2010 9:05 PM

I'd pick Koivu or Lombardi before Prospal. And like I said, I really like Cullen. But do you think he's a 2nd line center?

We can afford the higher-priced FA centers, if we wanted to. I also still maintain that any significant pieces brought in is through trade. Not expecting a big slash in FA this off-season. Maybe a defender or two, but that defender better be better than ShaMo.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 28, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

LloydChristmas - I don't see the Schultz, Alzner, Carlson thing as a sad state. Weren't the 3 Norris candidates this year all in their first three years in the NHL? Some of these young kids do just fine in the bigs and three of ours are pretty damn good. Still developing, but think of the many good years still left in them. I'm confident.

Posted by: gonchpup | June 28, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

One other thing on W. Mitchell, his injury history is horrible. Pull up his career stats, missed a ton of games.

As far as UFA D (Volchenkov, Hamhuis, Michalek)
As Far as UFA C (Lombardi)

IMO, no other Free agent signing is an upgrade. We don't get any of these guys, we need to make trades.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 28, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Shultz is our "stay at home" defensemen. I'm sure he'll get a significant raise. "That really is a sad state of affairs that Shultz and two rookies (Carlson and Alzner) are our only hope for some solid D between our goalie and the opponents forwards.
Posted by: LloydChristmas | June 28, 2010 9:06 PM |"
Stay at home. Thats an understatement. Home for Schultz is 5 feet in front of the goalie. If he gets an offer, don't match it. Great defensemen win battles behind the net, they don't watch them.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | June 28, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

So Washington gets draft pick compensation if a KHL team signs Bourque? Sweet! The irony is the Caps will draft more Russians! If only...

Posted by: larryn703 | June 28, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

@timmyv38

Agree with you that losing Semin for Kovalchuk would be a mistake. Nothing personal against Kovy as he's a great player but he's even more expensive than Semin. We're already in a dicey situation, cap wise. Semin is better defensively as well.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 28, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

I pretty much agree with your assessment on the available free agents. However, I would also have to throw Paul Martin into the group of available defensemen that would provide a significant upgrade.

I do think signing Saku Koivu for a 1 year contract for the right price (say $2.25ish) would be a solid signing for a 2nd line center. This would be contingent on the Caps spending a significant portion of their remaining cap space on a top notch defenseman.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 28, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

WHy would that worry me,I don't have to pay them?

Posted by: mfowler1 | June 28, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Reagan says, "Just say 'No' to Kaberle and Kovalchuk."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 29, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the UFA possibilities for a #2C, I see 4 possibilities - Lombardi, Koivu, Prospal, and Cullen. Here is points, +/-, and faceoff % for each:

Lombardi - 19-34-53, +8, 49.7%
Koivu - 19-33-52, +14, 51.4%
Prospal - 20-38-58, +8, 51.2%
Cullen - 16-32-48, -7, 51.0% (12-28-40, 0, 49.1% in 60 games with Carolina, 4-4-8, -7, 58.7% in 21 games with Ottawa)

Based on stats alone, it's hard to pick one out as better than another. Age is a factor - Koivu and Prospal are both 35, Cullen is 33, Lombardi is 28. Honestly, I think any of the 4 could fill the #2C slot on the Caps. While I would like Lombardi for his speed, he would also likely be the hardest one to get. Thoughts from anyone else?

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I like Koivu the most out of that group. Then Lombardi and Cullen.

J. Stoll from the Kings is supposed to be available, as the Kings try to dump some salary for FAs. I'd prefer him.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 29, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

I hadn't looked into any players under contract - the list gets much bigger at that point. Stoll certainly has the numbers to make a good #2C - but he is more pricy than any that I named. Question is, who would we have that LA would want? Or would they be looking for picks/prospects?

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

timmy: The voice inside my head says Koivu would be a perfect two-year bridge to MaJo.

That would be, 2 years at like $3M/year tops. As you can see, there's marginal difference between what Koivu brings and what BMo had left in the tank. In some circles, time is momey; in sports, starts are money.

That said, I can still see a strategic plan where Semin is traded and ultimately through a series of moves you end up with an upgraded #2 center, an upgraded #3RW and an upgraded first-pair d-man.

It is a beautiful thing in the desert when it is like 95 in the day - hot, but not uncomfortable - and, then, no sooner does the sun set but it feels like the inside of an ice rink in the upper bowl. The AC is off and all windows are open and they are closing the sliding door due to "breeze too cool."

Weren't my children raised in ice rinks and playing street hockey on the courts of Bel Air, MD?

How soon the blood thins after 14 years in Florida.

Some are born to great wisdom, able to see in reverse how all things could have been made better; others are blessed with the omnipotence to predict playoff failures years down the line; me, I'm happy I learned tonight that a house becomes a home when they unpack the booze and you have a bottle of 7-Up and some Wiser's Canadian Whisky and some ice and you learn on the spot that with a dash of lemon and lime it becomes a wonderful thing.

I will have to remember one day to not only thank God for inventing ice but for not forgetting the limes.

Yours, in a very special place,
tominsocal1

btw, the 58 in HD TV is now set up I just have to order the sports package with NHL Network. Oh, and I have my jerseys back, and all my Caps hats, and all my national parks tee-shirts and hats, and the booze, and I've been hanging paintings, and unpacking term papers from political philosophy 475 in 1978, and pictures of my kids I had forgotten I had taken, and picking out dust bunnies on things probably older than Bugs, and feeling very sad on what has been left behind, but optimistic as I am for all things including the Caps.

I have a feeling, call it a hunch, but if Belanger is the #3 center next year, all of next year, that would be a very good thing; foir it would mean that: 1) we have a true #2 center and, 2) we aren't relying on a misplaced person to serve as #3 C.

The tarot cards have spoken.

-- nostrathomas

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 29, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

tom - good to hear everything is going so well there.

I'm with you on your player ideas. While Lombardi's skills would be great, Koivu's experience and leadership might be even more important. Veteran leadership is one thing the Caps are short on - Knuble is 37 (and just look at the impact he had to see the importance of veteran leadership), Poti is 33, Belanger and Brads are 32, Chimera is 31, no one else is over 30. Unless the situation changes, whatever #2C we get would play between Semin and either Fehr or Laich - a steady veteran would be helpful. BMo was doing that last year for the first few months, but he just couldn't maintain his level of play - I think his injuries from a few seasons ago caught up with him.

If our centers were Backstrom, Koivu, Belanger, and Steckel/Gordon, I would be happy. They should have Steckel and Gordon work with Backstrom on faceoffs - he was 49.9% during the regular season, and 46.7% during the playoffs. That won't cut it for a #1C.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Oh, have I told you all about the train?

No, not the wonderful Burt Lancaster film from 1965, directed by John Frankenheimer; and, no, not Volchenkoy; this is the commuter train that runs from LA to Santa Clarita and then through the canyon and into the Mojave Desert.

I live in the canyon. Now, intermittently throughout the day, wind conditions and all, we can hear the "hoot" as the train goes by. Sometimes from the front, upper-level balcony I can catch a fleeting glimpse of moving windows. One thing you would never guess in a canyon is you can see people, down the block, 200 yards away, and they cough and it is like in your ear. The noise reverberates through the canyon like a weak echo sort of thing.

Let's not forget the Caps got 121 pts last year 8th most in NHL history.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 29, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

One other topic for tonight and then I shall retire to dreams of Dale Hunter plastering Gord Murphy into the end boards.

For my last subject, I'll discuss something that doesn't even exist - time.

By now you are thinking, "But surely, tominsocal1, time must certainly exist. How else could my boss yell at me so much when I am late?"

OK, so time is a human contraption, invented back in the cave days for various reasons ("You'd better be home before the raven caws three times").

But, as a kid, I'd try my hardest to keep from falling asleep to hear Chuck and Bill doing Orioles games from out West; invariabvly, though, I'd fall asleep, and all you'd have the next morning was the Sun with partial scores listed. Those 10:30 west coast games were WEIRD.

Except now on Saturday the game o' the week is on before the bacon is done cooking. WEIRD.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 29, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse

gonchpup - Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Carlson and I think Alzner is good. They will definitely be our top Defensive pairing, but being rookies, they will be making a lot more mistakes which will have to be over compensated with great offense in the playoffs, which, we didn't have this year. Remember, the PP was 1 for 30 YUCK!

wgood - that made me laugh! Well done!

Posted by: LloydChristmas | June 29, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

@mcgratsp:

--Tallinder is not the droid you are looking for...

@all:

+1000 no to Semin-for-Kovy trade, because:

--Kovy is (if possible) an even bigger head case than Semin...and I say that as a Semin advocate...
--No way in #311 do I want to see "our" Sasha in a Devils' sweater. If he must leave the Caps, it should be preferably to a Western Conference team.
--Too much $$$...and I somehow doubt that Kovy would give enough of an "Ovechkin discount" (for the privilege of playing alongside the Red Jesus) to make a difference capwise. We have other priorities, and frankly, plenty of offense.

@tominsocal1: You, sir, have the soul of a poet...BTW, don't be late coming home from work or else you'll be having cold mastodon for dinner!! XD

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 29, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 28, 2010 5:57 PM |

@cstanton1: Well isn't that SPECIAL...I wonder who made you say such a thing...

Could it be....EKLUND!?!?!?

Düüüüde! I kid you, of course! ;-D

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 29, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

The knock on this team is that they do not have "killer instinct". They get up on teams in the playoffs (Montreal 3-1, Pitt 2-0), then fail to finish. IMO, McPhee needs to have that killer instinct during this offseason. Make the moves he needs to make to finish off the opponents. If he cannot do it, why should we expect any different from the team.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 29, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Also, if you look at contenders, we have the most available cap space. No reason to screw around here.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 29, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

That tomincanyon guy sure knows how to paint a picture.

STILL THE #1 POSTER!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | June 29, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

wgood - that made me laugh! Well done!

Posted by: LloydChristmas | June 29, 2010 8:37 AM

It wasn't a matter of not having the offense. The two factors were players not getting in front of Halak and Montreal's defensive system. Remember, the Caps were 25.2% on the PP during the season, but only 3-16 (18.8%) against Montreal.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 29, 2010 9:15 AM

We do, but that is also before re-signing anyone - it will probably drop to $9M or so.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

underpants2 - do you know where SI got those numbers from? They seem off. All the other numbers I am seeing say the Caps are closer to $14M in cap space.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that Sports Illustrated ceased to be a sports journal over 10 years ago. It is now "People Magazine/US Weekly of Sports".

Posted by: LesGrossman | June 29, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Is nhlnumbers.com wrong? They have Neuvy listed as an RFA this year too.

Posted by: FedsFanForever | June 29, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

----------------------

to schultzie, battles = spectator sport

and i doubt anyone will sign him to any kind of offer sheet. He's valued by the Caps more than he's valued by anyone else and even if some team did want to see how he'd fit onto their blueline they'd have to significantly overpay him to prevent the Caps from matching.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Daniel Winnik is now an Av. Traded by Phx for a 4th rounder. Which means that Bissonnette will be a full-time player without having to look over his shoulder. Something he earned last yr. Smart move by Phx plucking him off waivers.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Is nhlnumbers.com wrong? They have Neuvy listed as an RFA this year too.

Posted by: FedsFanForever | June 29, 2010 10:12 AM |

He has a year left.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

pretty solid yr last season fulfilling his Erskine type of role. And he's reduced his PIMs. I'd take him over Erskine.
Vandy's had some tough ankle injuries over his career.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

My worry with Vandemeer would be how many games he has missed during his career. I don't see any seasons where he played more than 76 games - and there were 2 where he played 45 and 46, as well as last season where he only played 62. And was he hurt during the playoffs? I don't see him listed there.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38

Don't know, just found it on their web site. And yes, before resigning players, but same for all others on that list.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone watch any of the Calder Cup playoffs? Hershey was so dominant that the other teams and fans were whining about NHL talent competing in the AHL.

Why go outside of our system to grab players past their prime? We have young, extremely talented guys that have EARNED their chance to play in the NHL.

Posted by: FLDave | June 29, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

FLDave, the answer is simple. Many players who dominate in the AHL don't have NHL level talent. For example - Giroux and Aucoin. They've both been top scorers the last couple seasons, but have been ineffective when the Caps have brought them up. Hershey players could be brought in for 3rd/4th line roles, but those are roles that are already filled. A few of the Bears - Alzner, Carlson and Neuvirth - already have their slots with the Caps. There isn't a single player at Hershey who could adequately fill the #2C slot right now, which is the Caps' main need.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

yep, Hershey's true NHL-level prospects at this point if you take age into consideration is a trio of 3rd/4th liners - AG, SP, JB. And some feel MP should be in that mix as well. Down the road maybe Bouchard steps up. He's gotten stronger but like most Caps prospects he's a skilled guy who has to get better at other parts of his game and gain strength.

And defensively Hershey doesn't have much to offer the Caps. Carlson's already a Cap and Alzner is a couple of notches below.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------

well, he's broken both ankles so that's gonna keep anyone out for a while. And he plays a rugged game without being one of the bigger guys out there so a player like him shouldn't be counted upon to give you more than 65-70 games a yr and hopefully be healthy in the playoffs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

This is pretty much the team we will be going to camp with. The Caps will let their young players and depth players that are signed try and win jobs. No big free agent signing and no big trades. The team has months before they have to make a big move...if they even need to. I don't mind if Flash or Fehr don't get signed - I assume one will be back anyway. Don't wanna miss the forest for the trees, if one of them bolts its probably a good thing later for the team to have the extra wiggle room. It won't cost them a single point in the standings the way the rest of the cast is shaping up.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | June 29, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@timmy:
go to http://www.capgeek.com/ to get all the accurate cap related contract info...

@larryn703:
what do you mean the Caps get compensation if the KHL signs Bourque? can you expound on that please?

@cstanton:
nicely done... lol

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 29, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I'll admit that I haven't read all the comments above so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not but how about Marcus Johansson as the 2nd line center? Nick stepped in as the 1st line center a year after he was drafted. Johansson signed his entry level deal and supposedly they are very high on him so what do you think can this kid do the same at the 2nd line level?

Posted by: southeastdc | June 29, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

this was a funny read i have to say. I don't think the writer was serious, this has to be a joke. They must let just anyone write stuff on that site.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@southeastdc:
I think it's possible but very very unlikely.

He'll get his shot at camp and I think MP will claim it IF bonafide a UFA #2 Center hasn't been signed (Lombardi or others)

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 29, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

timmyv38

I agree that Aucoin is an AHL lifer, but how many games was Giroux given at the NHL level? Who were his linemates? How much ice time did he get? If memory serves he got a very short look and it takes time to acclimate.

Good point on the 2nd line center... I liked the way Savard and OV clicked at the All Star game. I know you can't base that on a real NHL game/season, but they read each other well. I'd love to see McPhee package a couple of Caps/picks for Lucic and Savard.

Posted by: FLDave | June 29, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

FYI - the Devils just announced that they've hired former Caps captain Adam Oates as their new assistant coach.

Posted by: Thisistheyear | June 29, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I think both Aucoin and Giroux have had ample opportunities to crack our lineup. They have both seen time on the top 2 lines. Of the two I think Aucoin has looked the best, but we can do better.

I would like to see the 4 others we mention get their shot, but some likeable vet(s) have to go for that to happen. Nice problem to have, they say.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | June 29, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave:
FYI: Savard has already designate the 5 teams he's willing to be traded to for this season... and the Caps aren't one of them... so that is a veritible impossibility! I looked for a link regarding the 5 teams but could not find it...

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 29, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see McPhee package a couple of Caps/picks for Lucic and Savard.
----------------------------------

they passed on Lucic the first time, when they opted to draft Bouchard instead following traditional McPhee wisdom that you always favor fancy skill guys from the "Q" over bruising forwards who can skate from the "W".

They probably look at Lucic as a guy they don't really need unless they reinvent their 2nd line.

Savard they could also have had as a FA in 2006 after he certainly displayed a nice two way gritty game for Atlanta. He played 82 games, 100 PIMs, 97 points and was just a pain in the butt player in the crease.

We got a firsthand look at what type of player he was in the SE div.
Instead the Caps opted to blow a load on Pothier and then save their money for the great Nylander a yr later.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

totally OT but who is for or against the Caps resigning Knuble after his 2 year deal is up at the end of this season?

2009-10 stats:
69GP, 29G, 24A, 53Pts, +23, 6PPG, 7PPA, 5GWG,
Prorated 09-10 stats:
82GP, 34G, 29A, 64Pts, +28, 7PPG, 9PPA, 6GWG

Thoughts?

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 29, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Giroux can always be a decent depth player on the 3rd line. Even though he doesn't score, he does a good job of finishing his checks and doing some of the little things.

Aucoin can also be a spot-duty player if need be.

"FYI: Savard has already designate the 5 teams he's willing to be traded to for this season... and the Caps aren't one of them"

now why do you think that is? Because he's looking to be a top line center and doesn't want the 2nd center role behind Backs, or because he doesn't feel the Caps style of play is a good fit for him? Or it doesn't offer him a chance to win the Cup?

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton:
"blow a load"? come on man, don't be crass! leave that to Pens and Philly fans, DOH! :-|

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 29, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1.....nice rumor. It will be on espn insider later today or tomorrow!!

I'm all for extending Knuble past this season. Maybe year to year given his age which means guaranteed cap hit.

Posted by: southeastdc | June 29, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Pothier was a good signing that was not a desired destination. His injury sucked but he was solid. Savard would not be a good fit only for the length of his deal and Nylander was key in getting Ovie to sign his extension. He helped show the Caps were willing to spend and I don't remember anybody complaining at the time. Hindsight 20/20, hell just go look at top NHL'ers from every draft and wonder how such talent drops.

Fun to wonder but I'd rather the Caps go after a Ribero in Dallas than a Savard. Out of conference, shorter deal and allows the youth to rise.

Posted by: flee001 | June 29, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

sorry, i rephrase

Caps dispensed Semin all over themselves in trying to sign Pothier in '06!

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@flee001

nylander was instrumental in Ovie signing his contract extension?

Posted by: _stevo | June 29, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

Lucic wasn't really a top talent. His skillset proved that at worst he could be a very effective NHL checking-line winger. His upside was he could play on a higher line. Anyone who followed junior hockey knew all about Milan Lucic. He was no hidden gem. imo he was a known commodity who the Caps would never take a flyer on because he didn't fit what they usually target.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@flee001

nylander was instrumental in Ovie signing his contract extension?

Posted by: _stevo | June 29, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

yeah i had to scratch my head on that one. If all the rumors about how everything we have to do to keep Ovy happy are actually true, we should just make him the GM. Apparently we could also never deal Semin because Ovy would have a temper tantrum or complete meltdown.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

You don't agree that Poti and Nylander were signed to prove to Ovie (and others) that the Caps are ready to contend for playoffs, be serious and thus influence Ovie decision to do an extension?

Nylander was his #1 center, brought here for Ovie after working with Jagr. Backs was supposed to be #2.

Posted by: flee001 | June 29, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Agreed about Lucic, but I don't think there's any way the B's let him leave, especially now that Cam Neely's role is elevated.

Speaking of Neely, rumor out of Boston anyway is that he's the main reason Savard is available; Cam is not exactly a fan. I will say, Lucic (and Satan, for that matter) were great all playoffs on David Krecji's line, but they collectively did jacksquat once DK got hurt (7-2 with, 0-4 without) and Savard centered them. Maybe he was still recovering, but Savard was mostly invisible against the Flyers.

Boston seems to feel strongly that Savard is not a #1C anymore [or even a 2C] - and I don't know if he's the kind of guy who'd be happy to play second fiddle, given what you read and hear about him.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | June 29, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton:
you are a card aren't you? LOL

I think year to year for Knuble is good... he's a good dude and fits well on the team...

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 29, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Savard was a shell of his former self. And I can't blame him coming back from that hit. I'd be hesitant as heck to start knocking shoulders.

Looks like Neely's latest project is getting Nathan Horton to play like a true power forward.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Boston has too many centers. Savard will come into play once Ilya signs. He was great in Atl with Ilya and could be again. I don't buy the Toronto rumor but one that I read is why not Calgary who keeps failing in their top line center route.

Posted by: flee001 | June 29, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Savard will never finish his contract, he is too injury prone. That is why Boston wants to move him.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 29, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

--------------

i'd like to see a deal involving Ribeiro. He's not big but he competes.

I just watched some vid of that 2nd pick of ours. Puke. He looks EXACTLY like Semin. Right down to how he uses his stick to try and free up the puck when he should jam his body in there. Or when he's skating one way trying to bat a puck out of the air as it gets easily intercepted the other way. Its all low percentage type plays.

Semin better be gone by the time that kid gets promoted. I'll have a heart attack I swear I will if I have to watch both of them in the lineup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@flee - yes I do believe that. Around the league at least people were saying that Ovie's (former?) agent at least was concerned with the direction the Caps seemed to be going in at the time. Remember, this was pre-BB; the dead-puck Glen Hanlon era.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | June 29, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Timbo_1 you rock, thanks.

As for Semin A and Semin B if they are both on the ice the Russians will win Gold ... in pairs figure skating.

Posted by: flee001 | June 29, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Still venting?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | June 29, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

-------

I agree - what are the odds of this happening, any idea? I don't know enough about the guy to say [other than at least one of our D seemed to have a tough time moving him out of the slot]; Chiarelli was touting this pickup big-time but some of the B's fans seemed to think he played pretty soft for his size.

Maybe I'm too tough on big guys, I don't know - but I can't believe he went #3 overall, or whatever. But I guess having Cam Neely light a fire under your @ss would tend to motivate one...

Posted by: Timbo_1 | June 29, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I think a kid like Horton who goes from a bottom feeder to a real hockey town like Boston, under the tutelage of the great Cam Neely will end up looking a real solid power forward. Esp after the embarassment of a trade.

Blake Wheeler's another kid who doesn't play to his size but that could change now as well.

"Still venting?"

there's always some of that. But today its more about informed discussions.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Ribiero makes 5 mil... that's too much... we should be spending some of that on D...

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 29, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Esp after the embarassment of a trade.
------

Yeah, no kidding - my best hockey bud and I were so mad at management when the Whalers picked Chris Pronger at #2 overall and left [among others] Paul Kariya on the table; we couldn't believe it, so pissed. Then the dude gets traded to STL for Brendan Shanahan, we rejoiced - and 2 seasons later he's playing like a freaking all-star and Shanny's split town.

So, good on Team USA for picking Brian Burke and not yours truly to run their squad, you'd have to say.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | June 29, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrankM73

Not too much if we move Flash. We could still sign a good D with leftover money.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 29, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Lombardi might be a good pickup to center the 2nd line. He's got the speed to play on the Caps.

Posted by: Stu_c | June 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

that was a big deal at the time. Shanny for Coffey and Primeau. I forget why Primeau fell out of favor with Detroit but I know he had run-ins with Probert. And Detroit I think felt they needed a grittier version of Primeau who at the time was an underachiever.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

amazing article

i remember andre waters, that's where i started paying attention to this stuff. I wonder if Raphel Cherry had the same issues. He was a carbon copy of Waters and he ended up losing his mind and killing his wife.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

timmyv38

Posted by: FLDave | June 29, 2010 12:40 PM

The last 4 seasons, he had 30 games with the Caps - 9 in '06'07, 12 in '08'09, 9 in '09-'10. He had 4 goals, 5 assists, +3. This past season, he was generally on the 2nd line, I believe - 10:22 TOI/G. Might have had a fair amount of time on the 3rd line though.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Giroux doesn't have Fehr's draft status within the Caps org so they were probably a bit more impatient with him (that happens all the time btw where some player gets extra chances to prove themselves based on how they were acquired).

And since Giroux doesn't do any one thing extremely well, the only way I see him making any NHL roster is if he commits himself to becoming a better checker. Than any goals he scores will be looked upon as a bonus. Take the Mike Knuble road.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I also think DET at one point had Feds, Stevie Y and Larionov down the middle so they probably felt they could afford to lose Primeau. Really good player but I always thought he didn't quite have the vision or hands to be a #1C but obviously others felt differently.

Great article btw, the after-effects of some of those brain injuries are scary.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | June 29, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Primeau was probably best suited as a checking center with some offensive ability. That one playoff season for the Flyers he looked unstoppable. Played against the opposition's top line and dominated at both ends.
Best player on the ice in the '03 playoffs. And a great example of how a checker like him can have a subpar reg season and really rise to the occasion in the playoffs. I hold out hope that Steckel can turn into that :)

Speaking of concussions, that's what killed KP's career.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

oh and KP has agreed to donate his brain to the same CTE center to study longterm effects of concussions on the brains of pro athletes.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

while on the subject. keith primeau also fought his brother in a game, which i found pretty awesome

Posted by: _stevo | June 29, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"The Edmonton Oilers housecleaning is well underway as forwards Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson and Patrick O'Sullivan were all placed on waivers on Tuesday setting in motion the buyout process.

Other players placed on waivers include the Ducks' Nathan Oystric, the Lightning's Todd Fedoruk and New York Rangers' Donald Brashear, Aaron Voros and Patrick Rissmiller.

O'Sullivan is scheduled to make $2.95 million next season, while both Moreau and Nilsson are slated to earn $2 million each.

Jonathan Cheechoo, Petteri Nokelainen, Ales Kotalik, Jim Vandermeer and Ville Koistenen all cleared waivers today and are now eligible to be bought out by their former clubs."

Moreau is interesing if you're looking for a Chris Clark type x 2 type of player. And Aaron Voros showed me a lot last yr after he lost his spot to Brashear. Big able bodied guy who can skate and is willing to stick his nose in there.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

----------

That about perfectly sums up Keith Primeau; and yes he did rise to the occasion. Also tough to disagree about the '03 playoffs, Primeau was a force at both ends.

I hadn't made the Steckel connection before, interesting comparison. One thing though is KP had some serious after-burners, especially in open ice; if DS has a similar burst he's been doing a good job of hiding it.

@_stevo - ah, wayne primeau - part of the infamous Jumbo Joe trade, also netting Marco Sturm [and Brad Stuart, iirc]. I didn't have the heart to tell my buddy from Dorchester that, no, the "B's" really hadn't made out so well in that particular swap, all things considered (and Harry Sinden's protestations notwithstanding.)

Posted by: Timbo_1 | June 29, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

was it Sinden or Mike O'Connell who made that trade? I thought it was O'Connell. Sinden had last say but I thought O'Connell swore by the trade. Never liked him that much as a GM. But thats what you get when you hire a freakin offensive dman as your GM!

Sinden got a lot of leash from B's fans because he gave them a bruising team and he snagged Neely from the Canucks.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Steck had an off year speed-wise last yr, as bizarre as that sounds. I've seen him look faster. Although you may have a point, he's no Primeau in terms of brute force explosion.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I was expecting DS to pot 10-15 goals this past season based on his progression and improvements. I was quite shocked at how slow and lethargic he looked compared to 08-09. He looked like he gained a few pounds and lost some stamina or had an minor injury that he just played the whole season though...

either way, he needs to be better in 10-11...

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 29, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah you're right, it was O'Connell - but I hafta think Sinden was still rattling around somewhere like the crazy uncle you just keep away from the press at all costs.

One other thing besides the speed I can't figure out about Steckel is his hands - how can somebody so good on face-offs [and even I will admit he's damn good] be so ________ (trying to be nice here) on scoring opportunities? And while I'm at it, can I just say, he's not exactly Forsbergian in the passing department for an NHL center?

Alright, sorry, no more criticism from me on DS.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | June 29, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Primeau never fell out of favor in Detroit. Coffey dis fall out of favor with Scotty Bowman.

Primeau was the price the wings had to pay (in addition, obviously, to coffey) in order to get shanahan.

Long story short, it was a fiar deal, and a deal that needed to be done, but at the end of the day I think the wings would have kept Primeau if they could have.

Posted by: LesGrossman | June 29, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

DS got drafted with an expectation he'd be an offensive player but since his skating was suspect he had to re-engineer himself into a defensive player. Blossomed under Bouds in Manchester and that was how he ended up in Hershey. I give BB credit for Steckel.

He was a dominating player at Hershey from what I saw. He was hitting people all over the ice, shutting down 5 on 3 PPs, there was a notable play where he makes an open ice hit on a dman then steals the puck along the halfwall and makes a nice pass to a streaking Giroux. And at times he's looked very dominating here on the defensive side and on the forecheck. Last yr, who knows. I'm willing to call it an aberration but I think part of it was that the Caps pushed all their players to be more offensive. And Steck's game stems from being a quality grinder.
I didn't much of that from our 3rd and 4th lines as I have in prev years. More crease-play from our team overall, but less work in the corners.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

cool les, i didn't know for sure either way. But I do remember Primeau not being happy about playing more wing than center and I remember he got into a fight with Probert in practice and they had a beef that lasted a while.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

i dunno les, looks like he forced a trade :)

By his third season, in '92-93, Primeau didn't want to play in Detroit any more than the Detroit fans wanted him to. He asked out through the newspapers, not the prescribed way of winning new admirers. "I brought a lot of this on myself," Primeau says. "The people expected me to score like Jimmy Carson and fight like Bob Probert. They had such high expectations for me, but I had high expectations for myself. I understood their frustration. For a year I tuned out the radio, didn't watch the TV, wouldn't look at the sports section except to read about other sports. Size always has been a huge advantage and a huge hindrance to me. It makes you stand out on good nights and bad nights, and there were a lot of bad nights. My mistake was taking the trade request to the papers."

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know that, pretty cool to hear. I give him credit for saving his career and making the most out of the oppo BB gave him then. As a high pick that's a pretty rare transformation, you hear about a lot of other guys going south in a hurry. Good for him.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | June 29, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 29, 2010 3:45 PM

The one thing with Giroux that hurts him is his age - he is 29 now, and was 25 before the Caps got him. I could see him as a 3rd liner, but he's going to have a tough time breaking into the lineup with the Caps. If he was included as part of a trade, that might give him a chance to get into the NHL - but I don't think it will happen until then.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 29, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Looking at hockeysfuture.com, they have ranked Dallas and Minnesota near the bottom in organizational depth. Both of those teams are rebuilding, and we know Dallas has a self imposed cap. We should be targeting guys on those two teams.

Posted by: underpants2 | June 29, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Question is, how many players do those teams have who we want and who they would be willing to trade? Neither would seem to be a team with a lot to offer, except 3rd/4th liners or possibly a defenseman.

And something I'm curious about - how did Mark Fistric on the Stars have +27 when none of the other Stars had over +8? Just seems a bit weird.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 30, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only person on Earth who feels LeBron James will wind up with the Wizards? I mean, him and Ovi are buds.

Yours truly,
nostrathomas

Meanwhile, the following exchange was heard to have taken place today in the McPhee household:

"Honey...honey? George?"

"On the computer."

"Oh. It's Junior, dear."

"What now?"

"Well, he says he wants twenty dollars a week."

"Twenty?!"

"Yes, dear, he says that's what the other boys are getting."

"Twenty? Well, I understand the kid down the street gets fifteen a week allowance and does trash cans and the lawn."

"Yes, dear."

"And the kid on the next block just signed for three years average allowance hit at nineteen per week and also does the cat litter. Since when Have I seen Junior do the cat litter?"

Silence.

"Well?"

"Junior doesn't like to do the cat litter, George. You know that."

"Of course, just like Flash doesn't like to go to the front of the net."

"Yes, dear."

"Tell Junior the offer is fifteen a week for two years. He can take me to arbitration if he doesn't like it."

Inaudible sound.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, dear. Just your imagination."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 30, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

lol... tom, do you have too much time on your hands?

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 30, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Today the new, free agent dining room set arrived. It is a square, dark table with six all-wooden chairs in some medieval kind of look. This is what mrstominsocal1 wanted. Naturally, the furniture being medieval Spanish look, I gave her the inquisition. Here are some of the highlights:

"Did you negotiate?"

"Yes," she said, "we got 30% off on the dining room table and chairs."

"So what was the cap hit?"

"Forty-five hundred."

"Ouch!"

She frowned and turned away. I saw the look on her face and knew I had to back off (after 31 years, you kinda know). I mean, $4500 is a small fortune for a dining room set, even if it includes a table, eight chairs, a buffet and a large china closet. To be honest, I REALLY like it. This Spanish medieval look is pretty cool and they all say I can spend like $2K if I want and buy a real suit of armor and paint it red with weagle and all and set it there and nobody made an objection...I don't know...But, should I hold out? This IS a negotiation...

We also had a cap hit of over $2K for the living room and like $4K for two refrigerators, a gas dryer (they don't use electric in CA), seven ceiling fans, installation of said fans (I see the guy who installs ceiling fans as being kinda like a gritty, 3rd line winger) several outside grills and all the blinds, purchase and install.

The mrs wants to put a covered patio in the back. This is like the dream of her life. I haven't told her but the dream of my life would be watching Bettman hand Ovi the Cup. I haven't told her that I seriously doubt that this patio fits within the cap. Well, I kinda did, and she told me I could go to the AHL.

Anyway, after 31 years, I've learned there's some things you just don't tell your spouse. Like, how much money you really have and what you were really doing when she wasn't paying attention.

Hopefully, she doesn't give me another ten minute misconduct. I've done my time in the box though (me and Dale Hunter) and the good thing is the time goes by and then you get to skate free.

You know, after 31 years, I kinda like her some. I do wish she'd forecheck a bit harder but then again a woman can't have everything.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 30, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Flash sucks. The Caps look more and more like a joke. Why would you make an offer to Bourque. The guy is an AHLer at best.

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse