Caps Sign Center B. Morrison

(Getty Images)

The Caps have signed center Brendan Morrison to a one-year contract worth $1.5 million, I'm told.

Morrison, who will turn 34 next month, amassed 16 goals and 31 points in 81 games last season with Anaheim and Dallas, which claimed him off waivers in March.

It would appear that Morrison will be in the mix -- if he's not already the leading candidate -- to secure the second-line center spot vacated when Sergei Fedorov signed in Russia last month.

It would also appear that today's signing has all but eaten up the remaining space the Caps had under the $56.8 million salary cap ceiling, if not put them slightly over it (which is allowed by as much as 10 percent in the offseason) when all of the RFAs' salaries are taken into consideration.

Depending on which players (I'm thinking defensemen) make the opening roster, it could also force the Caps to deal away a player to squeeze under the cap.

Back to Morrison. He had his best years in Vancouver, where in eight seasons he notched 50 or more points, topping out in 2002-03, when he racked up 25 goals and 46 assists.

Morrison earned $2.75 last season, so he's taking a decent pay cut to come to Washington.

There will be a conference call with Morrison tonight. So check back.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 10, 2009; 4:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jurcina's Arbitration Date Set
Next: Morrison: 'I'm Back on Track'

Comments

I wonder who's going to be moved!

Posted by: thiazzi | July 10, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Another third liner. Just what the Caps need.

Posted by: StikSav | July 10, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Nice...he's should be much improved this year playing alongside a guy like Alex Semin

Posted by: reesem37 | July 10, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh God, we might have Morrison and Morrisonn..

Posted by: thiazzi | July 10, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

i dont know why people dont like this move. this is a solid center who will help this team out and wont cost too much. good move mcphee

Posted by: capsfan5252 | July 10, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh God, we might have Morrison and Morrisonn..

Posted by: thiazzi | July 10, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

It's the DC Way!

Morrison and Morrissonn on the Caps.

Zimmerman and Zimmermann on the Nats.

A bunch of Thomas's and Williams's on the 'skins. And so it goes.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | July 10, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

not many other "affordable" options out there...this was a good move.

Posted by: reesem37 | July 10, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Former Hobey Baker winner. You know McPhee gets cised.

Posted by: thiazzi | July 10, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

15 goals and 16 assists. 31 points isnt that bad. put him on the 2nd or 3rd line and let him go at it. another solid veteran. just what this team needs

Posted by: capsfan5252 | July 10, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

End of the road for Boyd Gordon maybe? I hope not, but the roster is getting deep and there are other prospects on the farm.

Posted by: lornemyoung | July 10, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh God, we might have Morrison and Morrisonn..

Posted by: thiazzi | July 10, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

It's the DC Way!

YES, we had Bush and Bush and almost had Clinton and Clinton.

I don't have my salary cap spreadsheet here at home. But, assuming the 23 players I had assumed and the RFA amounts I had assumed, Mo already gone, and one of the two between Schultz and Jurcina, there was like $700K to play with. Assume you keep Morrison now and trade Gordon to make room, down to about $200K worth of room.

McPhee must have something up his sleeve. You have Backstrom, Morrison, Nylander, Steckel, Gordon and Aucoin all with NHL deals next year. You are now capped out with a full roster.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 10, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1
Gordon to wing, Aucoin stays in Hershey on a NHL salary and Nylander gets to chat with Tarik and Corey every game.

Posted by: koalatek | July 10, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

heck, we had Mike Green and Mike Green (in different sports, but the point stands)

Posted by: RedBirdie | July 10, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

We will lose Aucoin on waivers if we try to send him to Hershey.

Posted by: thiazzi | July 10, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

In strictly offensive terms (i.e. points rather that position or line) Knuble is a gain from Fedorov and Morrison a equal replacement from Kozlov. Any thoughts?

Posted by: jck747 | July 10, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Also, obviously potential second line center with Semin as has been stated, otherwise whose the second line center with Feds gone?

Posted by: jck747 | July 10, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

chant time: "Over-rated" clap, clap, [pause], clap, clap, clap

His time here will be as memorable as Trevor Linden's.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | July 10, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

It would also appear that today's signing has all but eaten up the remainding space the Caps had under the $56.8 million salary cap ceiling, if not put them slightly over it (which is allowed by as much as 10-percent in the offseason).

tarik, your assuming that the caps will resign fehr, mo, jurcina and schultz. i think its doubtful that all of these guys are resigned. btw, does the 10% overage include RFA's?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 10, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

i would think Nylander would be in the running for second line center

Posted by: doughless | July 10, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Color me somewhat disappointed with this move. A center who lacks size and appears to have lost his scoring touch. Great. We already have guys who fit that description. Unless this is a precursor to Nylander being dealt or signing elsewhere and coming off the books next season this just seems like a waste of precious cap space. I suppose it means McPhee has given up on 2nd line C trade possibilities too.

Posted by: Ovie8 | July 10, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

i hope this means we are going to use anything we free up to acquire some defensive talent. do that and things will be better.

Posted by: doughless | July 10, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl: my figures show the Caps at $800K below the salary cap if all the RFAs are resigned at their QOs. I rounded off a bit, so that might count for the discrepancy. So this move would put the Caps at $700K over the cap. I think someone will be moved, most likely a defenseman. Keeping 8 NHL quality D isn't workable; it certainly didn't work for the Caps during the 2008 playoffs. My bet is ShaMo will start next season in a new uni. BTW I like this signing. I was in favor of trading for B. Morrison before we signed Nylander. We don't need a 80 point second line center. If he gives us 40 points it will be worthwhile

Posted by: tempusfugitrgv | July 10, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1

Gordon is RFA too. The 10% overage will only come into effect when those guys are signed; that is when the actual value of all contracts exceeds the salary cap

Posted by: tempusfugitrgv | July 10, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

lose feh and shultz. if there is a possibilty of a quality D sign - Mo next. Gordon is great in the faceoff circle and i really hate to lose that.

Posted by: doughless | July 10, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

YES I AM SO EXCITED. I ALWAYS LIKED THIS GUY!!! WOOOO

Posted by: capsfan387 | July 10, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Every player they sign can't be or should be all exciting. You can't have a team full of OVs, Semins and Backstroms, you also need "the plumbers".

this team isn't exactly full of hard working forwards or defensemen who do the dirty work. I can't say I'm familiar with Breandan Morrison other than I've heard of his name but if he is a good penalty killer then he's worth the money.

Posted by: joek443 | July 10, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

His NHL.com player card is interesting (the news tab has links to about every article that ever mentioned him):

If nothing else, they're getting a center with tons of playoff experience (53 NHL playoff games). He did make NHL.com's feature on free agents:

"Morrison stayed healthy after an injury-plagued '07-08 season, but didn't put up the kind of numbers he did in his prime. He still has the ability to be a useful No. 2 or No. 3 center." I'd be curious what kinds of injuries he had. Hopefully he's 100% now.

Posted by: blackjack65 | July 10, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

so we can spend the money on a center past his prime, which, i believe, we already have on the roster, but, we can't spend it on something we actually need like a stay at home defenseman (Jay Mckee comes to mind). this move makes no sense.

Posted by: KAS2 | July 10, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

We needed another solid vet with the loss of Feds, koz and brash. Good call by GMGM.

Also VERY excited that this might, temporarily even, stop people from complaining about GMGM not doing enough. There's not much we can do, and honestly we don't need THAT much!

Happy Friday y'all

Posted by: mrszilla | July 10, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Woah, that's interesting. This article says Mike Knuble played two years with Brendan Morrison in college. :)

=================
"The success we had is part of attracting good players," said Knuble. "There were a lot who had the talent and the wheels to become good players.

"My first year I came in, there was Denny Felsner. He had 100 points his last year. Chris Tamer was a teammate who went on to have good years at Pittsburgh. The second two years I played with *Brendan Morrison* (Hobey Baker winner in 1997). I was a senior when Marty Turco came. They were all part of my success there." Maybe he put in a good word for him? :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | July 10, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

1.5 ain't bad at all for BMo.

Now, not to gloat, but I was calling for him back in May, along with 2 other people. I forgot who they were, but I just want to give them both a pat on the back.

@joek, and all.

BMo is a workhorse in the playoffs. Kind of like Franzen, to a lesser degree. He was the Nucks star back in their runs.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 10, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

chant time: "Over-rated" clap, clap, [pause], clap, clap, clap

His time here will be as memorable as Trevor Linden's.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | July 10, 2009 5:08 PM |

yeah man.

1.5 mil/yr is really overrated.

LOL.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 10, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Happy Friday y'all

Posted by: mrszilla | July 10, 2009 5:40 PM |

Haha, we can only hope mrszilla..we can only hope.

People are already complaining...

Posted by: richmondphil | July 10, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I think this is one of those moves that you can't be too sure about. It has good things (short term if he doesn't pan out) and bad things (is he what we need?) about it, so much like the draft, it's going to be hard to judge this until after we see some results.

Posted by: superpaqman | July 10, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

No complaining allowed!! It's Friday, it's not raining (at least where I am) and our GMGM has made very smart moves considering how little money he had to work with!

I swear some of you people would moan that the cup wasn't polished enough while ovie carried it... Have faith my people!

Posted by: mrszilla | July 10, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Feds had 33 points last year for a highly productive offensive team, and made $4 million. BMo had 31 points between two mediocre offensive teams, and he'll make $1.5 million. I won't even mention Nylander.

Not a bad signing IMO...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | July 10, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I just thought about this, but I guess this pretty much seals it that Laich won't be playing center, except maybe on special teams

Posted by: superpaqman | July 10, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

How is he not what we need? Just because his name isn't bigger, for some reason people want to question him. People were BEGGING for a 2nd line center. Well there he is. He many not put up the numbers he used to, but Morrison is a workhorse and does all the small things needed. He was on a line with Bertuzzi and Naslund, when they led the league in scoring.

Think about it people...all the scoring we lost, we already made up for and then some. We needed grit and workers on the front end--->Knuble and BMo. He digs inn the corners, he wins faceoffs, he sits in front of the net.

nuff said.

If he doesnt perform, dump him in the AHL or let another team have him. It's really not a big deal at all.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 10, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Everyone needs to relax. It clearly states that teh teams can be over the cap until the season starts. Look at NJ either last year or year before. The Caps will be OK. I've said it before, Nylander is gone. Count on it. I don't know where or when(Aug 1?) but he will be traded.

To all you you self proclaimed salary cap experts, please stop. It hurts to even read your post. The Caps brass know what they're doing and I'm sure they don't need your help. Find something else to talk about. How about starting a debate as to where Theo gets traded to? It's definitely getting more interesting each day with all the goalies signing with new teams. That's a lot easier to read then how the Caps will get under the cap.

Posted by: jwash4472 | July 10, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Everyone needs to relax. It clearly states that the teams can be over the cap until the season starts. Look at NJ either last year or year before. The Caps will be OK. I've said it before, Nylander is gone. Count on it. I don't know where or when(Aug 1?) but he will be traded.

Posted by: jwash4472 | July 10, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

sorry for double posting everyone. Having internet trouble out on the road.

Posted by: jwash4472 | July 10, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Why would Morrison be on the Caps 2nd line when he couldn't hack it as the Ducks or Stars 2nd line? As well Nylander is a much better Center. Anyone who thinks the team will be better off with Morrison over Nylander is a dope. As usual, the Caps make some questionable moves BUT once again fail to address the main problem...the D! Knuble and Morrison are nice 'role' players, but if your not going to address keeping the puck out of the net, then you need to add more than a PP specialist and an aging Center. I cringe to think that they might be after Tanguay...

Posted by: austonja | July 10, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Morrison was 204/450 in faceoffs last year (45.3%). He was slightly better than even when at home. (Those are just his Dallas numbers, I think. I can't track down his Anaheim numbers.)

For reference:

Steckel: 513/886 (57.9%)
Fedorov: 368/655 (56.2%)
Gordon: 374/667 (56.1%)
Backstrom: 570/1171 (48.7%)
Nylander: 290/632 (45.9%)

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 10, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised (maybe not...have I learnt nothing!) of all the negative postings on this move. Like it or not, we needed a qualified veteran C and this IMO is a low risk signing at the right price.

In regards to comments on the D...I would defer to kitty and others who have said that a veteran Dman can be obtained for cheap at the trading deadline. Also, a trade may also be coming as well.

Patience people. I like this signing.

Posted by: robblahs | July 10, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and if we signed two defense men, you would be complaining about net presence and two-way play...

The blue line is backed up right now. Trades will fix that, hopefully.

FYI, he was Dallas' 2nd line center and did fairly better than his time with the Ducks.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 10, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

interesting fact- Morrisonn was teammates with Knuble when they both played for college hockey for Michigan.

Posted by: gringo184 | July 10, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Seems like a bargain at that price. We'll see how he fits in.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 10, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad signing IMO...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | July 10, 2009 6:11 PM |

I'm not sure how Morrison is overvalued, either. Consider the price per point (I can never get these to come out right...):

Name Points $/yr $/Point
Fedorov 33 4,000,000 121,212.12
Nylander 33 5,500,000 166,666.67
Morrison 31 1,500,000 48,387.10

Posted by: Greg S. | July 10, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

So now were looking at

Ovie-Backy-Knuble
Semin-Morrison-Laich
Flash-Nylander-Clark
Bourque-Steckal-Bradley

No room for Gordon or Fehr. Hopefully theres a trade lined up here involving Nylander. FWIW, I like Bourque over fehr and maybe we can package him with Nyles.

Posted by: digster1013 | July 10, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

i'm not sure what possesses someone to take a 45% pay cut. if it is because of his desire to be on a cup contending team - then he can only be good for the team. my concerns are with GMGM and him making sure he has some cap room at the trade deadline. there is more than a 50/50 chance that the roster when the season starts will not be the same come february. i would like to see at least one 'free' contract and $3M to work with. the $3M does not mean they have to be that amount below the cap - but that a player making $3M will fit under that cap when pro-rated.
i still think nyls can contribute just not $5.5M worth.
my wish list would be: find a taker for theo, sign johnson - between him and varly - they could cover 82 games. then at the trade deadline - pick up the best available rental S@H defenceman you can with whatever money is still left.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 10, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, I think we are better using Aucoin at $500K than Morrison at $1.5M.

@tempusfugitrgv:

I will post my spreadsheet Monday, but here are numbers from memory:

14 forwards - OV 9.5; Nylander 4.875; Semin 4.6; Backstrom 2.4; Clark 2.65; Laich 2.1; Morrison 1.5; Fehr (est) 1.0; Steckel and Flash 725 ea; Brads 1.0; Knuble 2.8; Aucoin 500; Gordon (est) 1.0. That adds to 35.3 rounded. It leaves off Bourque and Osala.

7 d-men Green 5.25; Poti 3.5; Pothier 2.5; Alzner 1.6 (w/bonus); Ersk 1.25; Jurcina (est 1.25); Sloan 640 = 16 rounded.

Theo 4.5, Varly 850, Clymer 300 or so = 5.65.

Add 35.3 + 16 + 5.65 = 57 million dollars.

Isn't the cap 56.8? Of course, due to Alzner's bonus, the team can play the whole year discounting that $850K or whatever, and even overrun with the bonus, having the overrun docked next year. Not ideal though. Also - I am already subtracting Morrisonn and Schultz (using Sloan as d-man #7) and not accounting for Bourque, who I believe will need to go through waivers if returned to Hershey.

Bourque I feel is ready to play and so is Aucoin. I only really like this deal if somehow they can pull the plug on Nylander. Otherwise, why when you already had a 30-pt center that you had to pay, did you go and sign another 30-pt center? I would have much rather used Aucoin (who will easily give you 30 pts if you play him 15 mins/game) and saved the cash.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 10, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Another plus to this signing is adding some competition among our existing forwards (nothing taken for granted) and gives the coaching staff more to work with putting lines together. It's not like Morrison has even secured a spot on the roster... he may not fit and be moved as well. I just see it as bringing more options to the mix. Let these boys work their butts off for their spot. Good move!

Posted by: gonchpup | July 10, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

IMO, this move was made to squeeze Nylander. There is no place for him on the roster anymore. The Caps can now legitimately tell him that he will be a healthy scratch and in the press box on most nights. Simply trying to force his hand and accept a move to Europe.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | July 10, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Morrison? Meh. I can take him or leave him. Looks like I'll be taking him. The 09-10 version of Cassels.

Posted by: oo7 | July 10, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Those of you here who are not in favor of this move are simply not very intelligent and obviously don't watch much hockey outside of the Caps. You can't always judge a player by pure stats. I'm sure most of you would agree that Feds was worth more than his 33 points or whatever he had. Same thing with Morrison, he can play in all situations like Knuble. What were the 2 most glaring weaknesses of our team? D and PK, with the 2 signings GMGM has done he has not only replaced the 2 players that left but has replace them with better and cheaper players. Knuble is 3x's better than Kozlov and Morrison will at least be a Fedorov equilalent but at 25% of the cost. To me GMGM should win executive of the offseason. We don't need Hossa, Heatley etc we need to fill "gaps" not get game changers, we already have them. This is a fantastic move if not even better than the Knuble signing. He may not hit like Feds but he plays on both ends of the ice and is a solid consistent contributor. At 1.5M he is a steal especially considering Nyls is making 4x's this to do what? Skate circles? The subtraction of Schult as a full time player and injecting Alzner as his replacement vastly improves this team with the 2 signings. I'm ready for the season and another 100+ points in the standings. Release the schedule and lets get to it. Nice work GMGM.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | July 10, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KAS2 | July 10, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

bmo will be 34 by seasons start. jay mckee will be 32. big difference. st. louis basically paid him to go away. he's making less than brashear...what does that tell you. that tells me the pens are trying to plug their defensive holes w/duct tape since they are in worse cap shape than the caps.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 10, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan-

Completely agree with you on that one. Mckee is not what we need, and it does speak volumes about the state of the Pens.

Posted by: gonchpup | July 10, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I suggest we wait and see what GMGM does by 1 Oct before we jump to conclusions. GMGM keeps things close to his vest and is a very smart GM. I trust him to do the right moves.

Posted by: JMinVA | July 10, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's how I see it

Ovie-Back-Semin
Flash-Morrison-Knuble
Gordon-Laich-Fehr
Bourque-Steckel-Bradley

Green-Jurcina
Alzner-Poti
Pothier-Erskine/Schultz/S. Morrisonn

Varlamov
Theo

Bench: Nylander, Clark (GMGM to God- Please oh Please send me a trade; I'll take a 50th round draft choice if that is even possible, just please)

Last spot: Aucoin or Carlson or Schultz or Erskine or S. Morrisonn- Of the three D I like Erskine to start. I would rather see Aucoin b/c I really like him. For now maybe send Carlson back down (a la this years Alzner, a ready D who can't make b/c of roster clutter) and he can fill-in for an injured D if ever needed. Aucoin seemed to just grab points whenever he came up and I really think he would be a great C/F to have on the bench. Unfortunately, if Schultz and Erskine and S. Morrisonn re-sign they all make and someone is getting traded (one of those 3 or Nyls or Clark). I like Erskine best out of the three Ds. I would rather see those other 4 players move elswhere so we don't lose Aucoin and can move Carlson and another prospect (F or D) up or get-back Q. Laing to come off bench (if he is still available). Of course, I think S. Morrissonn and Schultz have offers and its going to be hard to unload Nyls and Clark. Let's wait and see what GMGM (who keeps saying he isn't going to do anything this summer, wink wink Knuble wink wink Morrisonn) does.
BTW I like the Morrisonn sign. One year rental for a guy who could revive his carrer back to +50 point status on the Caps. Hell the points he had playing injured were decent last year. Plus he's replacing Fed who didn't do a lot last year if fans recall.
FYI: I think Boudreau liked the Gordon-Laich-Fehr third line, and about a week ago or so he mentioned that maybe Knuble wouldn't play with Ovie b/c Semin is a pretty good RW, leading me to believe he wants the fearsome Ovie-Back-Semin line.

Posted by: mcgratsp | July 10, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Poll:

1) What are the chances we'll get a def. we so desperately need?

Assuming we do (which is becoming more and more doubtful to me)...

2) Who gets shipped to create room under the cap?

a) The obvious choice for me is Theo, leaving Varly #1 and
Johnson #2 depth wise; or

b) Buy out Nylander now, better to free up $2m plus and
have him produce nothing than for him to get his $4.5 and
take up a roster spot and produce nothing

Posted by: jck747 | July 10, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

mcgratsp-

Clark on the bench? He's had back-to-back seasons wracked with injuries. If he comes out healthy, he is in Knuble's league in what he brings to the game. Look what he did with Ovi a couple years ago. It's not like he just went flat... slow-healing groin injury and wrist surgery. I don't see Bourque or Fehr offering more, but I like the two of them as well. Nice predicament to finally be in, eh?

Posted by: gonchpup | July 10, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Todd White should have won the Hobey!!!!

Posted by: joecct77 | July 10, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Morrison is a former Michigan Wolverine, A former Hobey Baker Award winner, and had string of 542 consecutive games played. He signed for $1.5 million. He's offensive minded and a valuable veteran. How could you not like this move?

And for all of those that say he hasn't won anything, all I have to say is that there were many guys who won Cups by finally getting into the right situation. This may qualify.

Stranger things have happened. I like this move. Mostly because Morrison is a quality player that we need, but also because he was never an f*^kin' Penguin.

Posted by: jmurray019 | July 10, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@jmurray019: Would there be any pleasure though in getting a former f*^kin' Penguin and converting them? It'd be nice to get a sound bite along the lines of "Yeah, it was pretty bad seeing the red roses from Bettman at Crosby's little cubby in the locker room before every game." *snicker*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 10, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Random thought but is it worth considering moving netminder Neuv and getting a draft pick or something in return in place? What are the chances both Varly and Neuv stay? Can't see both quality netminders sitting on the bench or taking turns? Could we cash in now while the iron is hot? Or stick Nyls in goal and trade him to Pheonix.

Posted by: TottenhamCaps | July 11, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

Two words: Jaromir Jagr.

There aren't very many Matt Bradley's out there.

Posted by: jmurray019 | July 11, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

could we stick nyls on wavers and hope someone takes him once the season starts

Posted by: funkyroyal38 | July 11, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I like the move: we get a transitional center while we wait for the two Swedes to develop. I'm thinking he will dump a few players now.

Ovie Backstrom Knuble/Semin