Caps Sign Draft Pick Della Rovere

Stefan Della Rovere, the Caps' seventh round pick in 2008, has signed a three-year entry level contract. The 18-year-old is expected to join South Carolina of the ECHL and could make his debut tonight.

A rugged forward with leadership and agitator qualities, Della Rovere won a gold medal with Canada at world juniors this year. He'll still be able to return to the Barrie Colts of the OHL next season.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 1, 2009; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George McPhee on Washington Post Live
Next: Tonight's Lineup: Islanders at Caps (Updated)

Comments

GOOD. If there's one tthing that would be nice to have more of in the org, it's a pest.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

nice

Posted by: _stevo | April 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

18-year-year

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@ kittypawz -- agreed

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

tELb: On Frozen Blog is reporting Thaler's departure

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Not from CSN, just from 'Washington Post Live'.

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg mentioned that Ivan Carter was taking over WPL a while ago.

Posted by: koalatek | April 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I just got the cheesiest grin on my face. I love this kid. Can't wait to see how he does.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm reposting this. I'm always riding the tale. arg.

There were a couple of quotes that stood out to me in the WPL interview. Regarding the rebuild, I thought this was interesting:

"They built a new rink and we all know what that does; it helps you recruit" - Kettler

This next one made me think of everyone thats asking for a matchup vs the Pens in the 1st round.

"You have to be careful what you wish for."

It also made me think of those of us who prefer NY or Montreal or Florida. In the end, though, it would seem that he and I agree. You play for 2nd and get ready for the dust to settle.

"The first round is the hardest."

Especially for Caps fans, as its generally been the only one.

Posted by: oo7 | April 1, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit that I can't stand this kid. He's nothing but a dirty jackass with no hockey skills. All he does it take stupid penalties while trying to injure players.

I don't get why people are excited to have him. Especially the same people who have criticized Avery. Avery can at least play.

Posted by: ranndino | April 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I like this signing but there is no gurantee he will play for the Caps or in the NHL. Not many 7th round draft choices crack the NHL.

I would like to know what the holdup is in signing Finley. I hope Finley is not going to pull a Wheeler on us and refuse to sign and become a free agent.

Posted by: 4capitals | April 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe people are crying about washington post live, one of the worst shows ever. The whole network is a joke and the fact that we're watching hockey on it is sad. The game productions are good, and we're actually lucky to have Joe B. and Locker, but the rest of the programming is doo doo. Whats with those horribly garish sets? Why do the cameras look like they're operated by Tweek from southpark? Why is the music always TOO LOUD on sports night? And Don't get me started on the other anchors. None of them know anything about hockey or can pronounce a name to save their lives, which means that they aren't watching it. The announcer would have said the name of the guy in the highlight ten times.

rant over.

Posted by: oo7 | April 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

What I really need to know is whether Semin will play tonight.

@ 4capitals

He might play unfortunately. For what he does you don't need any skills so he can play in any league.

Again, nothing against pests. I like pests. For example, I loved Matt Cooke. Because he's a hard hitting, honest player with some skills. Della Rovere is a dirty bastard with no skills.

Posted by: ranndino | April 1, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

YOU HAD ME AT....AGITATOR!

SWEET!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe GM will let me sign him for a couples of days to deal with my wife.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 1, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

No skills? He's nearly a point-per-game scorer (51 pts in 57 games). He'll be cheaper (read: younger) than Brash and can take his place once Brash is gone.

Posted by: dc_homer | April 1, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

ranndino, You don't think a year or two in the upper leagues will calm him down any? My guess, he's going to play dirty to the wrong guy a few times and he'll learn. He's got 51 pts, 27 goals, in 57 games, so there's some level of ability there.
But you're right, he wasn't signed because of his stunning offensive ability. He'll probably be a chippier version of Brads if he gets up here.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

i am a big avery fan so thats why i am looking forward to seeing stefan

Posted by: _stevo | April 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

4capitals - not many 7th rounders, but lets see if anybody knows one. I know Zetterberg. I'm glad i went first.

Posted by: oo7 | April 1, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Anyone need a pair for tonight? 411 Row J. I can't make it myself. Please post an e-mail address.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

These would be gratis for Caps fans. Seats will go empty otherwise.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

No Russ Thaler? -that's shockingly disappointing & thus the Post continues to decay. Russ's enthusiasm for hockey (&tennis) will be missed. Sounds like I*ll have the NHL Live replay on now, in that time slot.

Posted by: Max231 | April 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

He is a sandpaper type of player. He DOES have some skillls as well. Plus he id a KID, give him some time to develop and we might have a good team player.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 1, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

007,

Wow! I think you're being way too hard on CSN and I completely disagree with your assessment of their talent.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 2, 2009 3:25 AM | Report abuse

I just hope WPL doesn't become like PTI and 980 with the change in direction. All football and basketball with golf every blue moon as long as it is a tournament that Tiger is excelling in. WPL was a welcome change of pace with it's willingness to cover a broader sports scene than the narrowminded folks on our local sports radio channels.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 2, 2009 3:31 AM | Report abuse