Caps Sign Knuble, Brashear Bolts to Big Apple

The Caps have acquired the net presence they've lacked in recent seasons, signing veteran winger Mike Knuble to a two-year deal, according to various reports. Those reports are that the 36-year-old former Flyer will get $2.8 million per.

Knuble skated in 82 games in three of the past four seasons, posting 27 goals last season.

Waiting on confirmation from the Caps.

Various reports also suggest that enforcer Donald Brashear has signed with the Rangers, who, of course, were calling for the tough guy to be suspended for his hit on Blair Betts on two months ago. Brashear will replace Colton Orr, who signed with Toronto earlier in the day.

I'll have more on the Knuble signing soon.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 1, 2009; 2:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee: 'Don't Be Surprised if We Sit This One Out'
Next: Done Deal: Caps Confirm Knuble Contract

Comments

I love it - great job GMGM on Knuble, and I'm not really losing any sleep over the Brash news although I came to love the guy.

Posted by: alpca3877 | July 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Good going on Knuble - not too long a term, reasonable money.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | July 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Great signing and yes we will take care of Backs and Semin for sure. As a Cap fan that's the last thing I'm worried about. I'm sure GMGM already knows exactly how next year will work out. Do you really think either of them want to go anywhere else?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | July 1, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

it's a great signing. Knuble has always been a guy that plants himself in front of the net. Definitely something we desperately needed.

Posted by: diner99 | July 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if he'll wear #22.

Posted by: thiazzi | July 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Yahoo! Knuble, great. Losing Brashear to the Rangers, not so great. Win some, lose some.

Wondering what the nay-sayers are gonna' be saying with this news. Is it good enough for them or what?

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The great thing about Zanon is that he will go relatively cheap. He likes to stay in his zone, which is what we need.

I am relying moreso on Carlson stepping up and doing the crease-clearing for us, since it looks like With Knuble factored in, we are tight on cap space again.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:11 PM |

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

This is great news for the Caps!

Posted by: MReilly9 | July 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Good signing. Big, tough, goes to the net, can score and fills one of our needs (RW). Yes, he's old, but coming off a good season and is relatively cheap. Good work, McPhee.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Not only does he plant himself infront of the net but he scores goals. 27 last year. 41 points overall. not bad at all. I think thats a lot more than Kozlov had. I love the signing plus it brings someone who has a ring and is a gritty forward. Just what we need. Showed how much it helped the Penguins with Guerin.

Posted by: capsfan5252 | July 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Knuble's what we needed in the playoffs last year. Now we just need to fill the void left by Fedorov and Kozlov.

Posted by: Erol2 | July 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

He was also the Flyer who killed us in game 7 OT two years ago.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

As for Brashear signing with the Rangers when my Rangers friend IMed me about it I was sure that was a joke.

Now that it's been confirmed I'm still laughing. Way to sign a guy who's currently the #1 most hated player in NYC. Good luck, Brash.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Correction; not game 7, but it was that double OT game.

@Erol2

This is the void left by Kozlov.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 3:17 PM |

Also apparently cost them 100K more than what we paid him. Haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Great move on McPhee's part. The signing doesn't burden us with a long and heavy contract leaving us plenty of money to resign Backstrom and Semin. Knuble with Bruce's style of play should be capable of a plus 30 goal season (fingers crossed). I still think we need a good veteran blue liner though.

Posted by: swagger216 | July 1, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Like everything about this signing except for one thing. The guy is 36 years old. At some point the body starts to break down after years and years of punishment. Planting yourself in front of the crease isn't exactly a low contact area. But overall, pretty happy with this signing. I was hoping GM would go extend and offer as long as it wasn't over 2.5 million. I assume we are going to be doing a little more than just testing out a few centers from Hershey now.

Posted by: MeatSweats | July 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Good signing. But still need a veteran defenseman. And I'd say a true 2nd line centre. Laich's alright but I don't think you can have real balanced scoring with him centering Semin.

Posted by: Stu_c | July 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -

Any news on the goaltending situation in Edmonton? A few of us are hoping Emnonton built a door we can shove Theo out of with their gaff on the Roloson deal.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

If I were Knuble I'd be jumping up and down right now because at the moment it looks like he'd be a direct replacement for Kozlov and will get to play with Ovie and Backie.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Unfreakingbelievable.... $1.4 M per year for Brashear. Sather is a complete moron. He clears his caps space by getting a sucker to take Gomez' contract off his hands than he turns a round and gives $1.4 M to a useless player who took out of the play-offs one of their best players with a cheap shot.I am sure the Rangers fans are happy... No wonder he is presently being crucified by the Rangers Fans on the Ranger Report Blog.

Posted by: atybat | July 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@ patrone

At the moment my grandma is penciled in as the #1 goalie in Edmonton.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

he had more goals than Feds and Koz cobined last year

Posted by: Andoy | July 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@Patrone

There is still Gustavvson, Khabi and Biron.

I'd go with any of them before Theo, so we will see.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully he can teach some of the younger guys how to crash the net a bit more/better.

Posted by: MeatSweats | July 1, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Great signing!!! i hear over at Jaspers that all the analysts are oohing and aaaahhhing....

Everyone in Philly is $h!tting bricks apparently :)

Posted by: caps28fan | July 1, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

SInce we do not play a rough game where we try to take out opposing team's best players (i.e. the reason we had Brash was to protect us against teams that did), I am not worried about Brash on the Rangers when we play them. Our skill will beat that. We do need to find a little more grit. Like the Knuble signing.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | July 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Good for Brash if the contract reports are true, and I'm sure the Rags fans will be happy once he lays someone out, then complain again until he gets another KO

Posted by: superpaqman | July 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Knuble is a good sign. talk smack about Brash all you want here, but i for one am not looking forward to him being in a Rags sweater. lets face it, Brash will pummel any Cap Bouds cares to put in front of him.

sorry but I am not ready to jump on the Bettman bandwagon. sign a D-man or enforcer and call it a day.

Posted by: doughless | July 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

EDM prob does have capspace to spend on a FA goalie. I'm just saying that because nobody ever wants to sign there. I dont have numbers in front of me.

However, Theo is probably the most risk averse choice out there. Only one year at 4mil. I think that is enticing for any team NEEDING a goalie

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I dont think we have to worry about Brashear taking out guys out. We have to worry about random dudes taking our guys out because Brash isnt here to bash their face in.

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I think we can expect plenty of this from Knuble.

Posted by: SA-Town | July 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 1, 2009 3:25 PM |

Good point.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Love the Knuble signing.

Brashear was a nonfactor for us.

Now we need a 2nd line center...

Posted by: smutsboy | July 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Actually Knuble turns 37 on July 4th, but he had 20 goals and 47 points for the Flyers last season. I think he can help for a year or two, but we need a solid, veteran stay at home defenseman! Somehow GMGM thinks we are good on defense, but after the Pens and Cindy C. ate us up, I have serious doubts!

Posted by: EricinMD | July 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I just agreed to a bargain basement $1.2 million 1-year deal to play goalie for the Oilers. Woohoo! Going out to celebrate.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

WOW was not expecting this. The money is NOT bad either.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if we could pry Smaby from TB, he's young, cheap-ish and mean

Posted by: superpaqman | July 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Zanon would be a cheap D and grit

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

My son and I will miss Brash. He was such a likeable guy with a sad life story. he deserved to have a little success and you will miss someone who is a team guy like he is. I wish him success, although not when we play them of couse.

Posted by: EricinMD | July 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

When GMGM said we were good on defense, he obviously meant in depth. Go read it again. Context, people. He was clearly talking about depth.

Tout for that invisible d man all you want, but if anyone signs it is going to be cheaper guys like Zanon.

We don't really have the space to pick up another free agent, unless we move some contracts. and That is why I am relying on Carlson to step up and be that crease-clearing hitter we need.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

nice work GMGM

Posted by: _stevo | July 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Like the Knuble signing but what about bringing in a defenseman?

Posted by: nford2 | July 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: makplan20002

---

If you prove to be correct that will really make my day. At the moment, even KHL teams aren't interested in Theo.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Great signing

I don't know how I will feel about seeing Brash go after any guys during a game with us.

And am I crazy think that the Oilers would be interested in Theo since Roloson is gone? They have a kid who isn't proven and need a solid vet but only for the short term. Theo only has 1 year left on his contract and we don't want him. It seems like it works for me.

Posted by: pkendrick | July 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

God, this deal just reminded me about hockey and that reminded me that the Pens won the Cup.
I hadn't thought of that in awhile. :( I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Posted by: EricinMD | July 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Brashear played 6 minutes a game against the other teams goons. That doesn't intimidate anyone but the other teams' goons. It doesn't make any of the good opposing players afraid or intimidated. The only thing that makes a good player afraid is when a physical players play against him at the same time. Guys like Scott Stevens intimidated players.
Brashear was a complete non-factor for our team and will be a complete non-factor for the Rangers. Sather just made another of his infamous moronic move.
GMGM did well but not re-signing him and by getting Knuble. A good day for our team.

Posted by: atybat | July 1, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

nford2....GMGM just said in today's Post that "on defense we are fine."

I think he has a different definition of "fine" than I do!

Posted by: EricinMD | July 1, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil and makplan20002

Exactly - I'm hoping that Edmonton's refusal to sign Rolloson to a 2 year deal is a sign they aren't looking to sign a long term goaltender.

No way Khabi signs a 1 year deal at this point in his career. Unless Biron thinks he won't have a seat when the music stops if he doesn't sign a 1 year deal - I think he pushes for 2 or 3 at least. The only other real FA choice is Gustavvson. Unproven goaltender who is comanding the market right now. I'm pegging him to be the biggest FA mis-signing of this season.

Theo isn't great...he isn't even good - but he's a proven 70 game starter who's got an average price tag and a short term. I'm not familiar with the Oilers farm team - but I'm assuming their reluctance to sign Rolloson to a 2 year deal means they've got someone coming up in the system.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

2 young, fairly cheap D-man possibilities could be a couple of Canes: Babchuk or Seidenberg.

Posted by: doughless | July 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@EricinMD

I actually think GMGM is right...we are fine on D.

If your definition of fine is fantastic...then maybe not so much. With Alzner and Carolson in the wings I don't think we need any help on D.

Alzner replaces Schultz on next years roster hands down. If Morrison bolts as an RFA we've got Carolson starting in the AHL next year.

That leaves us with Green, Poti, Pothier, Erskine, Juice, and Alzner as our starting defense corps. I'm pretty happy with that to be honest. Who would you replace? Keep in mind that both Juice and Erskine played very well in the playoffs.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@sa-town

Knuble brings some real animation to his playing style, as per your goal clip.

And I'm asking myself: how is he different from Clark? We'll see. (I guess Brash and Betts will be buds now...)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | July 1, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Green, Poti, Potsy and Erskine are the locks for the starting 6. Outside of that if Mo and or Juice bolt then we have Alzner. I don't know if Carlson is NHL ready just yet. He is close but that's why they signed Sloan to a 1 year deal. He can be a stop gap if we lose the RFAs and Carlson isn't ready.

Posted by: pkendrick | July 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

RedLitYogi - the difference between Knuble and Clark is Knuble has played in every regular season game for 3 or the past 4 years.

Posted by: pkendrick | July 1, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi

Knuble is different than Clark by +3" and +30 lbs. He also has scored a decent amount of goals playing with someone not named Ovechkin

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 1, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Nice move GMGM...I like Knuble!

Posted by: NatyBG | July 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Good signing by GMGM, providing Knuble brings it for the Caps like he did for the Flyers.

On the second line center -- the Caps have one. His name is Nylander. He should take the opportunity to show what he can do. He needs to stop noodling around with the puck, make crisp passes for a shot, or (here's a concept), take the shot himself. He's also been around long enough to know that he should also get back to play defensively in his zone.

At the same time, Boudreau needs to wipe the slate clean and take him off his hate list. Working with him, giving him a chance to use his skills and making him a viable part of the team again is much better than paying a boatload to ride the pine. If that can be done, it fills another hole. All that will be left will be to put together a trade package later in the year to pick up a good veteran D-man.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | July 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm....my post above went straight in. That was my second writing of it. The first time, I got a screen thanking me for submitting a post and that it was with the blog moderator. The only thing I can figure is that I used the term "spitlist' except that I started it with a $ and finished it with hitlist. Does that mean that the system cued in on it and that my post was barred because of it? That's a rather innocuous way of writing that word and I've seen worse on here. Man, I hope this blog doesn't start falling under some iron-fisted censor.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | July 1, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I have been saying the same thing to my buddies Puckdawg69. He is the playmaking center that we need for our 2nd line if he can stop doing his "Circles"

Posted by: pkendrick | July 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

So much for Theo to Edmonton. Bulin' wall will be tending the nets there for the next 4 yrs.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | July 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

That is an INSANE contract for a 36 year old goalie.

Posted by: pkendrick | July 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow this is a crazy free agency day! Hossa to Chicago for 12 years?!? Bulin to the Oilers...good move...he did wonders for Chicago this season. Does that mean that Huet is their #1? If so he needs to step it up, Hossa can't pull his slack!

Posted by: NatyBG | July 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Ah, nothing like another summer season and the Capital's fans dreaming of that elusive championship. Once again chasing the mighty Pittsburgh Penguins and the league's top players, Crosby and Malkin. How did you like watching those two hoist the cup? How did you like seeing Crosby dominate in the Washington series - caping it all off by stealing the puck from Ovie and scoring on the breakaway. How did you like Malkin dazling in the playoffs and showing Ovie what the real trophies look like. Knuble is a solid hockey player, but not a difference maker. Washington is still weak defensively and its best player is a one dimensional super scorer who does not elevate the players around him. Look for the Penguins to once again reign in the East.

Posted by: southPgh | July 1, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

People need to stop being so surprised at the lengths of contracts for older players. It's just creative accounting to keep the salary cap hits low. Salary cap hit = total amount of contract divided by the number of years. So when you see a contract like Hossa's just imagine that it's a 5-year deal with a lot more per year.

@ RedLitYogi

Really? Here's the difference between Clark and Knuble.

Knuble GP:82 G:27 A:20 PTS:47
Clark GP:32 G:1 A:5 PTS:6

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@ southPgh

How does it feel to be such a loser that you feel the need to come to this blog and post this bullcrap on July 1?

Ovechkin dominated the series between our teams every bit as much as Crosby and he does elevate his teammates probably more than any other player in the game. And btw, you squeaked by us in 7 games. Hardly a reason to come here and blather about nonsense.

Perhaps you're bored with your team's lack of activity today and your own lack of life.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

For southPgh

To add to ranndino's comment -- yeah, the Pens won the Cup, but it's not hard to do when you have the officials on your side. Caps dominated series but were outdone by the zebras in Game three. End of series, almost a 2:1 discrepancy for penalties in favor of the Pens.

Your team's cheap shots after the whistle, both against the Caps and the Canes, were never called. Yet, similar actions by both those teams were always whistled.

What really sealed it was when Malkin started a fight in the last 18 seconds of a game against Detroit. Correctly so, he was a given a game misconduct and suspended for the next game. But...oops..what happened? "Oh...no suspension. We made a mistake!" When did you ever see the officials and the NHL go back on a call like that? It's in the rule book!

So, in the end, you can try to strut your miserable hide on here, but you know that if it weren't for Bettman licking up to Lemieux (I still say he's got some kind of video on their action together), the Pens would not have won from series 2 onwards. They are favored by Bettman, who lays the rules for the refs, and you're a complete loser for believing they actually won this fair and square.

Take that back to Steel City, m*ther f***er!

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | July 1, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Luv the Knuble signing.
Thought we wouldn't get him but I guess his age scared other teams away.

He still has mileage & won't have to work as hard with the offensive talent he has around him.

Losing Brash hurts. The first time he lays out 1 of our guys & makes us shy away from the net, you morons will understand.
Turning point of the Rags series was when he came back from the injury stint & pummeled those guys. Those 5 minutes showed his worth to true hockey fans. The same fans who recognized the value of playing the body.

Richmondphil - Carlson is an big offensive defenseman. I am not sure he is a hitter as u surmise.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 1, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

If sh!tsburgh disappears from the earth no1 would care.

The charity program that the NHL puts there is for all the dimwits to come out of the cave & dance after having nothing to cheer about all winter.

randdino - Their life savings P1 Intels are finally sending the posts to us 3 wks AFTER the finals.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

ooops meant Puckdawg69.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Rocc00

I'll miss Brash too. Yeah, he didn't get a lot of minutes and he didn't fight every time I thought he should have, but...he did lay some good checks while he was out there. I do believe that his presence was a threat in other players' minds and that may have swayed their actions (or lack of them). Brads is game, but he's generally in for a beat-down. Ersk has to watch the concussion thing. Schultz, as big as he is, can only hold on. The only real fighter we have left is Sems. If he gets the bongos going on the opponent, then it's over. :)

Seriously though, I think the Caps will miss Brash. I know I'll miss seeing that old "shake-and-bake" before he starts those jackhammer lefts. I just hope he doesn't do it against our guys from now on.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | July 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Brashear is that you need four lines these days and he really bogged down his line. You can't play with five D anymore and keep a tough guy on the bench for fighting situations only. Teams are moving away from having a guy who can't really play, and though Brashear can do something with the puck when it's on his stick he can't skate anywhere close to NHL speed.

Posted by: milfordone | July 1, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 3, 2009 3:33 AM | Report abuse