Caps Sign Miskovic, Clinch Playoff Berth

St. Lawrence defenseman Zach Miskovic has been signed to a one-year entry level contract beginning in 2009-10, the team announced earlier today. From the Caps:

Miskovic, 23, was a first-team All-ECAC Hockey selection this season as a senior at St. Lawrence after earning third-team honors in 2007-08. He shared the team lead and led all NCAA defensemen in goals with 16 in 38 games. Miskovic, who played all 154 games in his college career, scored five power-play goals this season and a team-high four game-winners, while adding nine assists for 25 points.
A 6'1", 195-pound native of River Forest, Ill., Miskovic had eight goals and 21 assists as a junior and was named the Saints' outstanding defenseman. He won the Clark Cup (playoff champion) and Anderson Cup (regular-season champion) as a member of the United States Hockey League's Cedar Rapids Roughriders in 2004-05, prior to attending St. Lawrence.

Click here for a little more on Miskovic, who will join the Bears on an amateur tryout agreement.

And it's official: the Caps have clinched a spot in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 25, 2009; 9:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pothier: 'I Feel Better Every Game'
Next: Morning Reading List: Pothier Improving

Comments

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 25, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

oo7,
It's all about maximum games. I actually already told Jschon and Sombrero about the secret - should have waited until I beat either one of them next round. You can set it up so that you get more players than the maximum amount of players... just gotta be good with math! ;)

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmmm, curious as to how the new kid does. I take it he fits under the contract number max because his doesn't start until next season?

ludeman95, I'm being realistic. If we get a Z, it will be the prettiest letter ever.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 25, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

And we're in! Time to get the division, boys!

Posted by: RtR52 | March 25, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The caps have basically made it clear they don't want to 2nd seed. Well they asked what they wished for. Either carolina or pittsburgh will finish 6th, the two hottest teams in the east right now.

No excuses. The caps better put up or shut up and stop with this thinking that they are "too cool" for the this league. The more time goes on, the more they start to resemble the Ottawa Senators.

They are a cocky bunch and they are going to face one of 2 teams that no one really would like to see 1st round. Even John Stevens said Carolina is a team that no one wants to see.

Well boys, you set it in stone that you could careless about your seeding in the playoffs. But I will say that this will be a big disaster for Ted and the organization if they flame out in the 1st round again.

Posted by: O-V-P | March 25, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

The Caps were the hottest team in the NHL going into the playoffs last year - how did that work out for them?
Being hot to make the playoffs really doesn't mean much - just that you wasted a lot of energy to get there.

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Yea! Lose two games clinch a playoff spot!
: }

Ugly game in Colorado. (I'm watching our draft day veteran D pickup)

6-0 far less than halfway through. Some ugly goals too. If I'm a fan I'm headed home

Posted by: austinsteve | March 25, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

_828,

at the same time, you have to ramp up your game so that you are playoff ready and not shell shocked by teams already in playoff mode. I just hope the caps work out the kinks in these last 7 or so games. Please no more 1st round exits and please no more excuses. Losing organizations come up with excuses, let's actually win a series or two.

a 1st round exit for this organization would really be a huge huge failure IMO no matter who they face.

Posted by: O-V-P | March 25, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

O-V-P, I agree with you - just saying that the teams that are hot just to make the playoffs are expending a lot of energy. Mental and physical energy...

I hope they pull it together as well, but all in all, I hope they all start feeling better.

A little pressure isn't going to hurt them - I feel they play their best under pressure, because they HAVE to play.

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

828, was I the only one that didn't know? It would make 1st in the regular season more meaningful. I'd been staring at your lineup. I couldn't figure out why savard wasn't in. ack.

remember when Edmonton went to the finals as the 8th seed? The last few years have been interesting.

Eitherway, name the last team to enter the post with no momentum that did well.

Posted by: oo7 | March 25, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this is the back checking you were talking about!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 25, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 25, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 25, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

For you viewing pleasure

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 25, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Detroit last year... Name the last #1 seed that went to the SC finals from the East?

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Caps will feel more urgency on Friday since nobody seems to be able to beat Carolina to save their lives. Well guess who Carolina plays next? New Jersey. Time to win, Caps and get the second seed. Yes, Carolina has still another game vs NJ besides the one this weekend. Plus a game with the Pens.

I hope our boys recover from the flu. They sure are playing like they're sick. Poti admitted to being sick. We know Semin and Bradley were sick. (Does the 7 sick Caps include the ones who were sick last week like Green and Fedorov or not?)

Semin may have been "off" yesterday but, sad to say, he was doing better and generating chances than most of the rest of our cast of characters.

But glad they're in the playoffs and don't have to worry about finishing behind the Panthers.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 25, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Anaheim went 5-3-2 when then won the cup - isn't that our record right now?

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Well _828, did you name your screen name in honor of a couple of Caps forwards named Alexander, by some fluky chance? Just wondering.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 25, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Alexander Puckisin ....

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 25, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

haha, CapsFan75 - yes... I thought people would either think Ovechkin and Semin... or Alex to Alex... either way, that's my screen name.

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

It would be pretty weak if it were my birth date huh? August 28th...

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

_828:
or august of 1928 :)

StanleyCup1907:
what's your favorite color?
thanks

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 25, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

A beer at Verizon Center...$8.00.
Tickets on the lower level to see my Caps play...$105.00.
Flu shots for my Caps...PRICELESS!

(C'mon, Smitty...put it in your planner!)

Posted by: WCAPS1 | March 25, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

_828, must admit I like your screen name as I'm a fellow fan of the two Alexes.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 25, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

007, you are NOT the only one who didn't know the secret
I tip my hat to you 828, but you have now sunk to the level of the tanking penguins in my esteem ;P

Posted by: honed | March 25, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

yeh, your right about one in the east. Boston, or NJ, might change that. Though, Philly, Carolina and Pitt are worrisome. The Canes seem to matchup well against the Caps. Does Pittsburghs resurgance worry you? They're pretty hot under this coach and with the aquisitions.

Posted by: oo7 | March 25, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

yeah, honed, my brain twisted up for a second :)
glad I'm not the only one. Interesting that the league mngr knew. I'd call that a conspiracy!

Posted by: oo7 | March 25, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Anaheim went 5-3-2 when then won the cup - isn't that our record right now?

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:44 PM

yeah thats a much more relevant comparison then say perhaps Anaheim had a great defense, the best checking line in hockey, and top line forwards with talent who also wear down other teams with their grit like Getzlaf, Perry, McDonald, and kunitz.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 25, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _828 | March 25, 2009 10:11 PM

another great point. We should maybe just lose the rest of our games and then we'll have plenty of energy to win. Its like a faucet I hear. Any team can just turn it on when they want to. I wonder then why players such as Laich even make comments about this team needing to get some more jump in their game instead of wondering how much energy they actually have left in them after the games. Didn't he just say, "not one of us felt like we really left it out there on the ice tonight" ?

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 25, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me if this has already been talked about. The Caps signed a guy to a one-year contract and he's going to Hershey. But I thought we were at our contract limit. Has anyone heard anything about the specifics? I'm not sure how this works.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 25, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

the caps actually just recently signed two college guys - trevor bruess and zack miskovic (offensive defenseman go figure!)

They will each do an amateur tryout with Hershey next week and probably just sign with the Bears. Their caps contracts don't kick in till NEXT season, hope that helps :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 25, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

After months of reading the board, I can't tell if you're a fan or not. But if you are, you realize that you're only taking away from your own enjoyment of the team, right?

Posted by: jpbryant | March 25, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

@jmu
The new guy will play in Hershey the rest of this season under an "ATO-Amateur Tryout Contract". His official contract doesn't kick in till next year. That's how they get around the limit on total # of contracts.

Bears won 5-4 tonight. Late in the game Keith Aucoin took a puck in the jaw and left the game. I talked to someone who sits near the bench who said Coiner was bleeding bad and in a lot of pain when he came off the ice. Hoping he's ok.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 25, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

ahh yes.. playoffs

Posted by: _stevo | March 25, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about my brain failure...
Bears won 4-3 not 5-4.
Blame it on my typing skills or lack thereof.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 25, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 & tess2201, Ahhhhh. It took more pondering than I'd care to admit, but I figured it was something like that. Thanks for confirming!
I must have missed Bruess. Is he an offense-minded D as well?

Poor Coiner! Wishful thinking, but maybe its just a knocked out tooth. *crosses fingers*

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 26, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Many here expect the players to be excited and energetic about the rest of the season and the approaching playoffs, yet a ton of posters are boo-hooing and spelling disaster and can't enjoy the fact that the boys are in the Dance for the 2nd consecutive year. Sheesh! Everyone got spoiled really quick. Anyone remember the very recent times when we couldn't get a sniff of the post-season? I do! It's time to lighten up and enjoy the team's accomplishment. It doesn't matter how they got in, THEY ARE IN!!! LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 26, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

LOL at the doom and gloom and OH NOES have to play some red hot team -- bwak ....

In the last 10 games, carolina and pittsburgh are 7-3, the Caps are 5-5 -- and the Caps are a combined 19-5-5 against all the teams in the playoffs right now, better than anyone else -- seriously folks, relax -- the only thing that matters is getting into the playoffs -- how you got there at this point doesn't matter at all ...

Posted by: Terpsrule | March 26, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Just remember another ATO signing we made of a 23 yr old experienced college defenseman that kinda helped out this year. The name Sean Collins ring a bell. Always good to sign some of these college free agents and let them mesh down in Hershey, good depth for the Bears in case Caps need bodies during the Cup run

GO CAPS!!! April 15th GO TIME!!!

Posted by: BBDwrestling | March 26, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Cool, nice to know a spot is there for us but I'm sure BB and the boys are not really looking at a PO berth as any real accomplishment at this point.

It's going to be interesting to see how much more time Varly gets between now and Aprill 11.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 26, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

where does this season stand in regards to the earliest time in a season that the Caps have clinched a playoff spot?

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | March 26, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

check out the forecheck on Cindy

Posted by: boomer44 | March 26, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse