Caps Sign Osala; Leonsis Just 'Kicking It'

The Caps have signed left wing Oskar Osala, a fourth round pick in 2006, to a three-year entry level deal. Here's a link to the team's release.

I hope to update with contract figures and the team's immediate plans for Osala at some point. But I'm going to be on Washington Post Live this evening and won't be in front of a computer until much later.

Update:Osala's NHL salaries will be $600,000, $650,000 and $700,000 plus a signing bonus of $85,000 in each season. There are also games played bonuses.

Osala is expected to play in Hershey next season.

Update: I thought some of you might find this interesting: Ted Leonsis's latest "filmanthropy" project about the Homeless World Cup. That's right. I said the Homeless World Cup. There's more about 'Kicking It' on his blog here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 19, 2008; 11:07 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Talks Between Huet and Caps Continue
Next: Anderson Promoted In Atlanta

Comments

Cool. Load up this system with guys that have a chance to play. Keeps the pressure on the guys up with the big club that are on ELCs.

Posted by: JC | June 19, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Oskar Osala will revolutionize the game of hockey.

Posted by: Villainaire | June 19, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

i read 'caps sign' and got all excited. This is going to be difficult next few weeks.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | June 19, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Tarik: what is meant - expectation and roster-wise - by this move? Do they expect him to fight for a roster spot in the near future? Or is this routine for someone they consider an AHLer?

Posted by: Ben | June 19, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

So he will be here in July at Kettler for sure?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

From TSN....top 60 draft prospects,caps could be getting 3 or 4 of them with the picks they have now. #10 seems like an interesting pick...

Posted by: Rich | June 19, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

39 goals 48 assists in 122 games over the last 2 years in juniors(OHL)18goals 17 assists in 53 games in Finland
Should help in Hershey

Posted by: wendel | June 19, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I read a rumor that Pittsburgh is shopping Malkin around for a possible trade. Any truth to this??? And if so, what would be our chances of making a deal???

Posted by: Phil | June 19, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@Phil

The chance of Malkin on the Caps is somewhere wither slim or none and slim left town.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 19, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

My 4th line left wing has a first name, its O-S-K-A-R....

Posted by: old time hockey | June 19, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

oops! That didn't read so well. Chances of Malkin in Washington is EITHER SLIM OR NONE AND SLIM LEFT TOWN.

That's better.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 19, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Rich

You're referring to Beach?

Given the Caps' drafting as of the past few years, I would expect that the character concerns would immediately dq him from consideration. Or are you suggesting that Ovechkin (and Fedorov, we all hope) will straighten him out? From everything that I've heard, his character issues are nothing to the extent that Semin has (had, maybe?).

Risky, indeed, but I'm personally thinking too risky.

For anyone who's interested: salttequilalime.blogspot.com

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 19, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

And oh, right, the point of this posting:

I hear he's decent. Could be an interesting signing.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 19, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Just passing on what I heard......He sure would be a good match with the Russian connection we already have!!!!

Posted by: Phil | June 19, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Wowza, he had 5 goals and 3 assists in 6 games for Finland in the 2007 World Juniors. Pretty nice!

Posted by: Jordan | June 19, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Re-posting my reply to Mauree from the last thread:

Mauree, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. And I contend that Mike has the right to not share his every thought with us fans. I saw the grin on his face the day he was told that BB had signed a contract extension and that's all the 'enthusiam for the team' that I needed to reassure me that Mike plans to be back in DC in the fall.

Posted by: tess | June 19, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@drinking......I was referring to beach..it does sound like a risk with this kid,but with risk comes great reward. Sounds like he would need a guiding hand, but with OV,clark, maybe Feds, that seems to be possible...so give up the first and a 2nd and take a chance...it would be nice to have a power forward that could take care of the physical and open up another spot on roster by not having Brash. Just thinking out loud so to speak.

Posted by: Rich "C | June 19, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@Phil

From Vogel:

Finally, some rumors are floating about regarding a possible blockbuster swap that would have the Pens dealing Evgeni Malkin to Los Angeles for the No. 2 overall pick, center Mike Cammalleri and more.

Posted by: keef | June 19, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Other than having great size at a position the Caps have pretty locked up, what does Oskar have to offer? I have never seen him play and haven't heard much about him either. Does anyone have a scoop? Tarik?

Posted by: oo7 | June 19, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I love the Penguins dumb moves in the front office.

Who trades a MVP finalist? They dug a huge hole. That Hossa trade was just plain dumb.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

From what I have heard the Penguins are just desperate to sign Hossa which leaves Malkin out in the cold......Personally I would take Malkin over Hossa in a flat second..........with the talent pool the Caps have in Hershey i'm sure they could put together a very attractive package....and maybe throw in a couple draft picks........Malkin and Ovie on the same team......Hey, I'm allowed to dream!!!!

Posted by: Phil | June 19, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Rich

I agree with you about the chance for high reward, and, to that effect, I think we're dealing with a Todd Betuzzi in Beach. The good with the bad. Hopefully, not that extent of bad.

@ Malkin Rumor

If that's true, I guess that's the salary cap causing problems. But, hey, at least he'd be out of the East. An LA Kings/Washington Caps Stanley Cup final would be pretty exciting.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 19, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Malkin rumors indicate that the Pens are trying to find a way to keep Hossa. It did appear, at least in the post season, that Sid may have had more chemistry with Hossa than Malkin.

If these rumors pan out, may also be an indication that Malkin's playoff performance may not be solely attributed to the flu. If he does go somewhere else, must say I am glad it is to a Western team and not an Eastern team.

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's a funny story for you guys..

This old dude I play pickup with sometimes was talking to me yesterday at the rink. Here's what he said about the Caps:

They're going to sign that Nikita Filitov because him and Ovechkin are friends from Russia. (he didn't believe me when I told him Filitov is going through the draft as like the number 2 forward)

The Caps are going to trade whatever it takes for Hossa because they need a high-scoring winger. (....right)

He also said Michal Pivonka played in the ECHL at the end of his career. We all know it was in fact the IHL.

Posted by: Jordan | June 19, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm holding out hope our draft includes Chet Pickard, it'd make me feel a little better.

Posted by: AP | June 19, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when the schedules for next season will be made public? I seem to remember that usually comes out sometime in July. Just curious.

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@ Kim

The schedule is usually released around mid-July. It has been released the day after the MLB All-Star Game, which this year would mean July 16.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 19, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh is too small for Crosby and Malkin. That much is apparent. THey are a better team when only one of them plays. THat said, Crosby isn't going anywhere, ever. Malkin can bring in a big fat bag of goodies and frankly thats what assets are for. Trading Malkin away to fill holes very very well is not a bad idea. THey need wingers to play with centers and Hossa fits that bill. He looks great with Sid. THe cap is going to keep teams from having more than one or two superstars. Fleury and Crosby = no Malkin. LA needs a boost like that, like Washington needed Ovechkin. I don't think its a bonehead move at all.

Posted by: oo7 | June 19, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@Kim,

Wednesday, July 16th is when schedules will be out.

Posted by: Tracy | June 19, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I think all LA needs is a stud defenseman or two and a decent goalie, then they're Washington Caps West. The number of guys that had 20 goals or more (or would have without injury) is pretty high.

Posted by: Jordan | June 19, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

With regard to all of these Malkin rumors... in my opinion, if there is any player from Pittsburgh we should be going after it is Ryan Malone, who is a free agent.

The chances are definitely slim considering he will be seeking a lot of money, but imagine him on a line with Ovie. It would be unbelievable.

Posted by: Zack | June 19, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

As for Beach, he sounds like the kind of a-hole that always ends up on the Flyers roster. Screw him.

As for the Pens, I'm glad they're already squeezed by the cap and fretting about losing Malkin - and they have almost no picks this year in a deep draft. Screw them, too.

Posted by: tokyo fan | June 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't want Malone in Washington.

Kozlov, for all his faults, is probably the ideal winger for Ovechkin. He has a good shot (when he takes it) and he's an excellent passer/stickhandler. Malone is basically Clark. We already have Clark.

That and Malone is nothing special.

However, he is the product of his teammates. If Ovechkin and Backstrom are his linemates, he could be valuable. But I don't see it. Nor would I go out of my way to get it.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 19, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

So far fetched to even be discussing this...but WHY pair Ovie with Malkin? Keep the Backstrom combo and get Malkin down to the 2nd line. Two good scoring lines there.

Posted by: keef | June 19, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Is no one remembering Nylander?

If we manage to sign Fedorov to another year, we will be STACKED at center.

Which is exciting, frankly.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 19, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Didn't forget Nylander at all....Use him as trade bait for Malkin....I know the chances of it happening are remote but.....It would put another very young dynamic player in the fold.....Nylander is quite a few years his senior....

Posted by: Phil | June 19, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

And I'm not saying Malkin for Nylander alone of course....put a package together with Nylander included....

Posted by: Phil | June 19, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@Tess

It's all good :)

Mine was more of an answer to your being pissed at me for writing that Green is after the money - an argument w/o real proof but an opinion nonetheless.

Posted by: mauree | June 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm printing up the banners for the SCHULTZ FOR MALKIN 2008-09 campaign. :)

Posted by: keef | June 19, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Phil

I'm not sure there's a package I'd be willing to send for Malkin. I think we sorta have what we need already in terms of big pieces.

Malkin's a big piece. I think we just need little pieces -- another young defensemen here, another young, hip up-and-coming center who won't play for another year there...

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 19, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Nylander has a NTC. Plus, frankly I don't believe the Malkin trade rumors for a second. If they ending up trading him at all, it won't be this summer.

Posted by: norske | June 19, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jordan | June 19, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@DrinkingPartner,
Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree........Backstrom, Malkin, Fedorov sounds a lot more appealing to me at center than Backstrom, Nylander, Federov............

Posted by: Phil | June 19, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

hehe I too would love Malkin with us... but honestly, he'll want 8-9+M per season. I don't think we can afford it... (even though, looking at the numbers.. Nyl + Kozlov = 7.5M ... hmmm hehe)

Malone I'd take. No offense to Clark.

Posted by: mauree | June 19, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

If the pens are thinking ahead, then they know they can not afford both Malkin and cindy, both will make OV money. Look what happened to TB with 3 guys not making any where near that money you end up with 3 or 4 players and you can not afford a team. So Trade Malkin and get a ton in return to stock your team for the future. Also it would be great for the Kings and the League to have a superstar in LA, it is the only way to draw there....
As for Beach, you do need some some guys that you want to go into a back alley with, look at MCarthy in Detroit or Holstrom, you need tough SOB"s to win the cup

Posted by: Rich C | June 19, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

With Osala being from Finland, as well as, Sami Lepisto being from Finland. The Capitals have Russians, Canadians, French, Americans, Swedes. They used to have a some sort of German/South African guy. Is there a more international team in the league? Maybe they should draft one of the defenseman from Switzerland.

I'm very impressed with the scouting and diversity of the Capitals. I have no reason with this post. It just stood out to me. The Capitals of the free world can be the Capital of hockey. Of course many people in Toronto would declare war on us if we tried to claim that since Toronto is the "Mecca of Hockey"

Posted by: Caps 423 | June 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Zach

Or maybe Brooks Orpik?? Not sure why I have such a man crush on him, but the last two rounds of the playoffs I heard myself hoping outloud that the Caps would sign him.

Posted by: Yosh | June 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@ Caps 423

You forgot the Czech. Wishful thinking, probably.

Posted by: Jordan | June 19, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh

Was Orpik the one laying out hit after hit in his own zone during a shift in the finals? I can't remember who that D was...it was great to watch.

Posted by: keef | June 19, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I must confess that I am actually a transplant from SoCal and originally a die hard Kings fan. (Worst night of the year, the one time the Caps play the Kings.) I would love to get myself a black and purple jersey with a 71 on it.

Forgive me. At least I'm not a Pens or Flyers fan.

Posted by: old time hockey | June 19, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Besides Flash, Jurcina's still on the team and he's a Slovak, right?

Posted by: tallbear | June 19, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Malkin will never make it in L.A

The Hollywood elite will think his chin is too big.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So Oskar Osala would have to wear number 00 if he gets to the Caps.

Malkin to LA is believable. Malkin here will never ever never ever happen.

I'd take Malone on the Caps in a heartbeat. Faster than a heartbeat.

Kozlov may be a good stickhandler, but when the puck is on the end of said stick, he falls greatly. His turnovers vs. goal production last season were not acceptable. While Malone is not a possession player, his work in front of the net would be golden for Ovechkin, Semin, whoever else you want to put in the sentence. He is not as skilled as Kozlov, but he's a harder worker.

Posted by: Eddie C | June 19, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the schedule updates. I have July 16th marked on my calendar. Already trying to get some of the Oct. plans ironed out.

Another thought regarding Malkin. If part of Malkin's problem is that he does not share the limelight well or just plays better when all hopes rest on his shoulders, then he would not be a good fit here. (Not that I for a minute think that we would make a play for him)

Besides, I think if we would even consider trading for a player with his potential payroll it would be for a player destined to replace Lidstrom as the next Norris Trophy monopolizer rather than a Center.

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I have no beef with LA, therefore, in my eyes, at least, Kings fans are welcome here.

And actually, i don't think it will happen realistically, but it probably wouldn't be a bad trade for the Pens if Malkin were to go for Bogosian (?) and Camellari and another pick. In fact, that'd be pretty interesting.

Plus, it would mean that I didn't have to hate Malkin as much.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 19, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I would like Malone in front of the net on the power play, no question. But if he played with Backstrom and Ovechkin, he'd be a hindrance more than a help, he doesn't have Kozlov's ability to distribute the puck, and that would hurt the line as a whole. We need Kozlov on the boards or behind the net, and that's not the type of player Malone is.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 19, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Eddie C

You must be joking. Did you watch any games last year? He was by far the best Cap at keep the puck ON his stick in the offensive zone. Time and time again he had two defenders draped on him only to come out of it with the puck.

Posted by: Yosh | June 19, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Boyd was the best at keeping the puck, but Kozzie was doing it against more skilled players while double teamed.

Posted by: keef | June 19, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

keef

That was one of the primary things about him that impressed me.

No one on this blog seems to agree with me. But the primary thing the Caps are lacking is a real defender....especially in BB's offensive scheme. As much as I'd like to see Green resigned, ATLEAST one phyisical, MOBILE (i.e. not Erskine) dman is essential.

Posted by: Yosh | June 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Anybody listen to NHL live and can confirm this?

Posted by: honed | June 19, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Reposted from the previous thread...

@mthoss

No one is interested in your issue okay? Maybe they were when you were on a college campus, in the real world, no one cares. Or maybe you just came out and you feel you have something to prove... read on, NO ONE CARES.

Re-Read Yosh's post, in no way, WHATSOEVER, does he show an unreasoning fear of homosexuals, the definition of homophobic.

In fact you know what? I'm offended BY YOU for judging him because he typed the word flaming. What are you the free speech police? Do you want to destroy words like Big Brother in 1984?! How dare you sir, HOW DARE YOU!

Now I'm going to leave this silly thread go outside and enjoy a nice flaming fag, 'scuse me, cigarette to you Americans.

PS - Huet for two years is a good start.

Posted by: Darren | June 19, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

honed

Anybody listen to NHL live and can confirm this?

What is there to confirm? GMGM stated what we already know. Green probably won't sign before 1 July...there are talks with Huet's agent and he wants to come back in principal....and we all want #91 to return, but it has to be for the right price.

As for the worries behind the cap rising...that could mean a number of things.

Posted by: Yosh | June 19, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I remember hearing that AO and Malkin hate each other? No way would they bring in somebody who AO has a history with doesn't like. No chance.

Posted by: CRitch | June 19, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"They will just wait it out and see where it goes (earlier this week McPhee said he would match an offer sheet in about ten minutes)."
That part. Earlier he made a definitive stance that they'd match any offer, now he'll "see where it goes." McPhee and his mind games...

Posted by: honed | June 19, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

And I think a lot of people would agree with you about needing another solid (preferably fear-inducing) defenseman, but didn't Orpik's playoff performance significantly raise his asking price?

Posted by: honed | June 19, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

honed, I don't think anyone believed that GMGM would match any offer. So it's not really a surprise.

Posted by: tallbear | June 19, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

honed

Touche, I didn't pick up on that...it might be something, but it also might just be the end of June and fans like us are reading too deep into things :)

Posted by: Yosh | June 19, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I heard a rumor that Patrick Roy is coming out of retirement and he wanted to play for the Caps.

Posted by: MNMNT | June 19, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Dont forget to check out Donny boys site..

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

This has nothing to do with the signing of this guy but I have to say this. I am very concerned about Ovechkin's love for sports cars, speed, and his off-hand comments the other day that speed limits in DC were suspended. Foreign players, especially Russians, have made stupid mistakes behind the wheels of fast cars. If anyone from Caps management reads these blogs please take heed. You probably have the same feelings as I do.

Posted by: Jay | June 19, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Jay

Is this a joke? Care to elaborate on that russian part? I can't think of a single example.

Posted by: Yosh | June 19, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I think we have more to worry about if he takes a stress test at a mall; gets kidnapped by the Scientologist cult running it, and turned into Tom Cruise's right hand man.

Posted by: MNMNT | June 19, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

If you want to use that analogy, get rid of Backstrom because Pelle Lindburgh drove a Porsche.......

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Jay probably things Asian women have horizontal vaginas as well.

Posted by: MNMNT | June 19, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Jay

Do you want to lock him in a cage in verizon center between games? Maybe you could sit with him, and make sure he has his milk, and lifts weights, and takes his vitamins..

Somethings just arent really our concern...if he gets hauled in by the cops, Im sure Leonsis will work will him.

Posted by: IM CRAZY!!! | June 19, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"Nylander does not have a no-trade clause. Haven't we been over this a hundred times?"

Posted by: Jordan | June 19, 2008 2:02 PM

I'd be interested to see your source that he doesn't have a no trade clause, because I've got one that says he does, at least for the first three years of his contract.

Posted by: norske | June 19, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

No way in heck would there be a trade between the Pens and the Caps. The rivalry is too much. The only way a player would switch teams would be through free agency.

With that said, I think it very possible Malkin would go to the Kings. Makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 19, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

#55 needs to be locked in a cage during the off season to lift weights and suck down protein shakes. Maybe feed him raw meat and poke him with a stick to create a mean streak. He is "Prongeresque" in size after all.....

Posted by: Steve R | June 19, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

He needs to go on my diet...

Posted by: Leeguru | June 19, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

The secret to unleashing the rage of Sarge is to pull his pigtails.

Posted by: keef | June 19, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Lee,

.....?

Posted by: Steve R | June 19, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I applaude OV's love for speed.
The faster the better !
Drive fast, take chances !

Posted by: Chief | June 19, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

If you are any of these people (or just as important as any of these people) and do not treasure your anonymity, email me.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | June 19, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Atta boy Chief, appreciate your .02

So, any thoughts on what moves (aside from firing MIDGIT) the Caps need to make this off season?

Posted by: Steve R | June 19, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Apologies for yesterday's snafu on my part about the rule changes. I thought I had mentioned the icing. Sorry.

On Green (again).

I frankly don't care if they pay him 20M a year, or if he holds out for that. That he's exercising HIS RIGHT to wait until July 1 is fine with me. gmgm's statement last week simply tells other GM's to come with an "A" list offer, because a "B" list deal won't get done.

I think that this signing will tell us a lot about the direction that gmgm wants to take the team. I think that if we sign him at 5+ per year, that tells us that Huet will be left alone to defend the net (metaphorically speaking). If the idea is to get Huet, or who ever we sign to goaltend for us, some help, better find a good D-man to stay at home.

This is not the style of play that has won cups, but it does put fannies in seats during the season. I just wouldn't play this game with him. My personal opinion.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 19, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

On Green (again).

Posted by: Greg S. | June 19, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

On Green (again).

Posted by: Greg S. | June 19, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow! A 3-fer!

Sorry about that. I'm feeling pretty sorry today, eh?

On Beach as #10. Sounds damned fine to me. That would make a few players obsolete, and the grind line one to be feared.

I'll keep breathing, though. It's unlikely that he'll be here any time soon.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 19, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Are we losing yet?

Posted by: mike b | June 19, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

I was just curious about the whereabouts of the players during this year vacation. If you have infos it would make an interesting articles - where they went and how (or if) they relax.

Posted by: mauree | June 19, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

mauree,
There's a Matt Bradley hometown tour video on the Caps site, complete with a cameo by Grandma Bradley.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 19, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Right on Greg S.

Green is well within his rights to wait to see what happens July 1.

I'm guessing 5m a year is realistic. We're going to be the NHL version of the old run and gun from UNLV. High risk, high reward, exciting as hell to watch. NJ's booring trap..? Nope. 35-40+ shots a night and "Unleash the Fury". Can't wait.

Posted by: Steve R | June 19, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

not to be a priss, but Steinberg's list of interesting caps insider posters left me feeling...icy. "MNMNT, Stormblue, norske, Sombrero Guy, tallbear, old time hockey. (I'm definitely weakest here, apologies.)" WHo the hell is Stormblue? Thats not a name I see much. Norske once in a while. MNMNT, Sombrero and old time I see a bunch. And no offense to you guys at all, but thats it? Out of all of us? WTF? I definitely think that I should have been picked. I have style, pizazz and wit a-plenty. Not to mention i'm usually right. I'm going to take it to mean he doesn't want to meet me or jmu or mauree or chief (ahem). Fine. If thats the way he wants it. He'll never see me coming.

Posted by: oo7 | June 19, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Yosh,
I totally agree with you about a stay at home, solid D man. I grew up in the Langway era and sport his jersey amoung others.

Personally, I'd trade Green and Alzner's potential goals for plus +, plus + any day. We always made the playoffs every year Langway was on the roster remember?

You can argue the game is different now but solid D is always a major commodity. Goal tending wins cups but solid D gets you there.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | June 19, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

@007

Yeah, and what about Boo, jmu, Greenie and I? I mean how many other blogs have the femine touch that does not just spew puck bunny (although I myself do have those rare puck bunny moments - I've tried the 12 step program, but have you seen some of the Caps?)

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Now on the serious side, Tarik's post re: Huet mentioned that his agent was going to talk to GMGM this weekend at the draft. So when does the draft actually start?

I am going to be out of pocket most of the weekend for a soccer tournament, but will have to check in and see if there is any breaking news.

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

@ Yosh

re: Russians and fast cars.

You mean Russians like Danny Heatley?

Posted by: reekie | June 19, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and before the blog spelling police get me, it is feminine. I can spell Fedorov too in case anyone is checking.

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@reekie

Ouch! Although I do have to admit that I also thought of Mr. Heatley.

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

@BernieWolfeFan
I thought Alzner was a big stay at home knock em out of the crease guy no???

Posted by: billd1960 | June 19, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Kim: First round of the draft is on Versus at 7:00 Friday evening. I think the other rounds are Saturday and shown on NHL Network.

Posted by: tess | June 19, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Its about quality, not quantity. I tend to post when I find something particularly funny, or if I have a question for Tarik.

Not that hearing hourly updates on your opinion of Mike Green aren't interesting. :)

Posted by: Stormblue | June 19, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

: )

Posted by: oo7 | June 20, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Speak for yourself, Stormblue! My Green insights are stupendous and worth posting every hour, though I try not to.

OK. Maybe stupendous was a trifle strong. Inciteful, maybe? Almost incited a riot... maybe not so much that, either.

Alright. I'll keep my fingers off of the keyboard for a few hours.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 20, 2008 2:20 AM | Report abuse

oo7 & Kim,
You guys are cracking me up. I'll pass on being interviewed or whatever, but have fun! I'm trying to keep a low profile so I don't get blamed for starting the Mike Green bash-fest. Not sure a whole lot about Osala, but I hope to find an excuse to go to Hershey for a game or two this season. Maybe I'll see him play.
Kim, I've had my girly moments too, you're not the only one. We ladies are just in a unique position to be able to appreciate all aspects of the players, not just their hockey ability. Trying to avoid dangerous PB territory here, but not only do we have one of the best teams in the league talent-wise, we've got one of the best looking teams too.
Can't wait for the draft tomorrow night. My favorite off-season event right in time to give me a break from packing!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 2:58 AM | Report abuse

Brashear is dreamy...

Posted by: JSchon | June 20, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: I think Brashear looks extra-dreamy without gloves when he accessorizes with someone else's blood.

Posted by: uncatim | June 20, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I have a question: How do the homeless get to Australia for the tournament? Its kind of hard to hitchhike there.

Posted by: old time hockey | June 20, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I'd add to the list:

Boo!, GregS, Keef, Lee, jmu_capsgirl, Steve R, JSchon, King Huet, DC Fury, Kim, SA-town, 828, TheCapitalist, Tess, Oneal, Jill, Yosh, BernieWolfeFan, kevbpgc, Whiter Mage, Raber, fullright, Opita, CT Caps Fan, Jeff, FFS Enough, pmoravek, Metal Cap (sorry if I'm forgetting someone).

Throughout the entire season the discussion with these people added invaluable insight on the games... not to mention one hell of a good time :)

Posted by: mauree | June 20, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Homeless soccer is really catching on.

The IHFS, (International Hobo Futball Superleague)really needs to get a team here in D.C.

From the talent I have seen around town, we should be able to field a competitive club.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I guess the guy that turned his World Championships fantasy team from celler dwellers into top 4 contenders is just chopped liver! I'm going to go have a cry now!

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Jordan- we just fly under the radar. Next season they'll never know what hit 'em...

Posted by: honed | June 20, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Oh come on guys :D of course you too :D

Posted by: mauree | June 20, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Here's things to ponder, finish my statements, folks!

My locker room blogs are the best surpassing ...

I am tall, handsome and dog gone it, chicks ...

I will lead all Caps d-men not into temptation, but to ...

Posted by: Papa 'Panzer' Schultz | June 20, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Mauree. Looking forward to the debates on the draft & free agency.

Old Time, you just made me choke on my coffee. Good one.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I listed all people I remember on top of my head that were missing on the link above. If I missed someone it was not on purpose of course, I apologize. Yesterday I just turned 36. I'm old and forgetful ok?

Posted by: mauree | June 20, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Lol not actually offended, Mauree. Besides, I've always thought it better to fly under the radar, that way people don't have expectations :p Happy belated birthday.
p.s. is the draft always an evening thing? I was hoping for distractions during work

Posted by: honed | June 20, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

What does everybody think about Wade Redden? I think he could get back to form in a new location.

Little pricey but ehh. Maybe he'll take less. TSN says nobody wanted his negotiating rights: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241168&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_nhl

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

@ Jordan

I saw that article too. Here is the meat for those too lazy to click over:

And it's not just players the managers are trying to trade. With unrestricted free agency beginning on July 1, players right's are being offered up to give teams exclusive negotiating privileges for more than a week.

Murray confirmed Thursday that he tried to do that with veteran defenceman Wade Redden, but had no takers.

Redden would be awesome for a couple years (maybe), but PRICEY. With Green seeming to be holding out for a big pay day, signing Huet, and keeping enough money for later signings (Backstorm and Semin), plus maybe Feds and all the other RFA's -- I can't see it happening. What are the Sens asking for in terms of picks? Finally, Redden is possibly on the downside of his career.

Posted by: JIM | June 20, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, mauree! Nice to be remembered.

By the way folks, I may not be posting as much right now but I am reading every single word being written. I just have the attitude of wait and see. I don't like to comment on what hasn't happened but rather wait until something does happen.

But then again, if something doesn't happen, does that mean that something did happen after all? hmmmmmmmm

Too early on a Friday for deep thought.

Looking forward to something happening in tonight's draft!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 20, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

mauree

Yesterday I just turned 36. I'm old and forgetful ok?

Yeah I'm still waiting on that purty new car...

Posted by: Yosh | June 20, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Jordan, I like him but not at 6.5m a year.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Steve R

I like him but not at 6.5m a year.

Does anyone know a good site where you can sort players/positions by their salary?

Posted by: Yosh | June 20, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Yosh,

nhlscap.com has current and future $, not sure if it can be sorted by player position though

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind...

www.nhlnumbers.com works nicely :)

Posted by: Yosh | June 20, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I know its a long summer, but this thread lost me with talks of Malkin in a Caps uniform. Give me a break!

Posted by: fansince74 | June 20, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Apparently I was way off on some defensmen salaries...after looking at this list, getting Green for under 6M per might be a challenge.

I originally thought 4.5 would be a good number but look at the guys pulling that in...(G/A/+|-)

Scott Hannan (2/19/-5)
Eric Brewer (1/21/-18)
Robyn Regehr (5/15/+11)

Now I'm thinking around 6 million is almost far fetched:

Mathieu Schneider (5.75) (12/27/+22)
Andrei Markov (5.75) (16/42/+1)
Sergei Gonchar (6) (12/53/+13)
Brian Rafalski (6) (13/42/+27)
Bryan McCabe (6.15)(5/18/-2) *only 54 games
Sheldon Souray(6.25)(3/7/-7)*only 26 games

Posted by: Yosh | June 20, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

TSN sez da Blues just picked up Chris Mason and shipped off Jamal Mayers to Toronto.

I guess Nashville had better sign Ellis, or else they don't got no goaliez!

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that means Ellis signing with Preds is a done deal. Please GMGM, sign Huet!

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

wow, Sheldon Souray for $6.25! That's just nuts...

Posted by: Moose33 | June 20, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@Yosh

You forgot Lidstrom @ 7 hehe

There are many reasons why the players in your list are so valuable. As of now, NONE of those reasons apply to Green. None of those players is getting paid so much cause they score. Hehe we're back to Green's potentials and value... sorrie sorrie... I accuse Yosh of incitation :p

Posted by: mauree | June 20, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Happy Belated Birthday mauree!
I'd like Redden if we could get a "I need to get out of this town and fast" discount.
I'll bite on the mad libs.
My locker room blogs are the best surpassing "only the random news feed that is donbrashear.com."
I am tall, handsome and dog gone it, chicks "still dig Brooks Laich more."
I will lead all Caps d-men not into temptation, but to "better body checks and a higher +/- so I don't get traded."

Is it 7 yet?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Mauree: Happy belated birthday! And see, the Caps gave you a birthday gift by signing Osala. Now if they would just give us all a few more gifts....Huet, Greenie, Mo, Feds, Brooks....

Posted by: tess | June 20, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Commodity - Blueliners who can score

Not a commidity - Bald, half asian men in their mid 30's

Yosh - I already did the homework... $6.25M is the average for the top 10 scoring defensemen. Non-FA. Campbell's contract will surpass $6.25M IMO. Streit will get $5M and M.Green will get about $5M, hopefully.

Posted by: JSchon | June 20, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

mauree

Hehe we're back to Green's potentials and value...sorrie sorrie... I accuse Yosh of incitation

Now now now...that wasn't my intention. Honest to god, I was surprised to see the salary of some of those guys.

As for the reasons behind the salary...I'd argue that they won't matter when it's time to sign a contract or offer letter. The bottom line is you know Green et al will be looking for a Phaneuf-esque contract. I doubt any team will throw that out there, but you can be sure there will be a GM that atleast goes as high as Gonchar's 6M for a period of 4-5 years.

If GMGM can't get him signed and an off of that size is thrown out there...well I'd shed a tear, but ya gotta let him walk.

Posted by: Yosh | June 20, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Mauree,

Gonch and Markov are both offensive d-men.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

aww guys/girls thanks for the wishes :)

@jmu hahaha on the Papa answers... chicks "still dig Brooks Laich more."

@Steve R
I stand corrected. Still, I think Gonchar is paid more for his checks than his scoring abilities. And Markov for his D. You can argue that Lidstrom and Pronger are "offensive" d-men too cause they score a lot.

Anyway I'm hoping for a Green contract too (but someone need to play devil's advocate :D )

Posted by: mauree | June 20, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you, it was just too easy. Anybody seen the kid they're saying is Schultz's brother? I'm not sure I believe it. Ian looks like he eats peewee players for breakfast. Whereas Jeff looks like he eats Lucky Charms. I think I know who beat up who when they were kids, despite the age difference.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

To those of you that have looked closely at the cap and our flexibility. Say Green and Huet get $10 mill combined. How much left will we have to sign Fedorov, Cooke, Laich, Morrison and whoever else is RFA?

Posted by: Pat | June 20, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I still think 4.5 for Green is a good max given the salaries. He is way too young to be considered in the same league with Schneider, Gonchar and Rafalski. Souray is a fluke. Great year in a contract year. Wasn't that pre cap, too?

Posted by: old time hockey | June 20, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Any ideas where to get stats on hits? I'm guessing Gonch is waayyyyy down the leader board, I just can't find hard numbers.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@oldtime.....Sourey signed last year...

Posted by: Rich C | June 20, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, NHL.com lists Mike Green having 94 hits in 82 games. Gonchar had 56 in 78 games.

Perhaps more interesting, Pronger had 74 hits in 72 games...

Posted by: Jeff | June 20, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Gonchar is most CERTAINLY known for offense. I don't even think of hits when I think of him. His main function on the team is leading the power play, which he does pretty well.

Posted by: Jordan | June 20, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Gonch 2nd in the NHL in power play points last season with 46.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info Jeff. How many elbows to the head did Pronger have?

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

Japers has some video of Ian Schultz fighting. Definitely did not follow in his brother's footsteps in the hitting department.

He said something to the effect that he would love to play on the same team as his brother, but if not he would have to hit him extra hard. From the looks of the video I think he could and would.

Oh and the answers to the sentences were great. I was actually going to put something in about his little brother or Matt Bradley, but anytime Brooks Laich gets a mention it is okay by me.

Posted by: Kim | June 20, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@ oo7, Kim, jmu, and the other regulars:

Steinberg just listed a few names (and to be fair, he said this was his weakest area), but I'd definitely like to feature all of you.

Email crowdnoise@wpni.com.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | June 20, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

here's a fun fact i found...

Inn the draft's 45-year history only five No. 1's--Guy Lafleur, Denis Potvin, Mario Lemieux, Mike Modano, Vincent Lecavalier--have led the teams that chose them to a Cup.

lets hope OV is number 6...

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | June 20, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Lafleur won 6 or 7,not sure on Guy, Potvin(the scum that he was) won 4, Mario had 2, and the last 2 one each...not a good trend.lol

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Kim,
I saw those videos. I also youtubed a few more. Still not sure how they're related, but I wouldn't complain if GMGM drafted Schultz. I thoroughly support younger sibling dominance and maybe Ian can give Jeff a few pointers on how to use his size (not that Ian is anywhere near as big as Jeff).
Laich was the first guy that popped into my head, but you could probably have made comments with anybody on the team. It was also the only one for that sentence I came up with that was double-entendre free. Trying to keep it family friendly. :-D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

5.5 hours till the draft. Any guesses if we try to package a deal and move up?

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Steve R

Who would we move up to get? The interesting thing about this draft is the fact that after pick, say, 5 (my guess would be Filatov), just about anyone else could go just about anywhere. For that reason, moving up would be good to make sure we got who we wanted, but it also may be deemed entirely unnecessary, simply because the field is SO deep.

I'm hoping they take Aaron Ness, Mattias Tedenby, or Nicholas Deschamps, personally.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 20, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I wouldnt give up our first round pick, but Id package 2 2nd rounders and someone else already in the system to try to get into the top 12. Hopefully something intesresting happens.

Posted by: Pat | June 20, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

In this draft, I'd hope that, for that kind of deal (Pat's two 2nd rounders and a prospect), we'd get a prospect along with a 1st round pick, or, at least, two picks, because that's EXPENSIVE.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 20, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Next year Schultz senior is RFA. He better start making a difference this year or I wouldn't want to resign him. A 6'6' getting creamed on the boards by Martin St. Louis (yes. it happened. my eyes were not deceiving me.) is not exactly the type of D-man I want for the SC.

Posted by: mauree | June 20, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@drinking partner

It is expensive yes, but if theres someone they really want in the top 12 its worth it when you have that many 2nd rounders. When you want something badly, you overpay for it. My guess is we dont move at all though.

Posted by: Pat | June 20, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Dan Ellis signs two year $3.5 million contract with the Predators.

Posted by: Pat | June 20, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Drinking Partner,

At least one of them should be avail at 23.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Come on now mauree,
St-Louis is a tough little hobbit? He just went for the knees? Played the brains over brawn card? David v Goliath? Told JS if he dropped like a rock, he'd get him a vintage Lecavalier/Richards/St-Louis autographed stick? Offered him use of his Florida beach house over the summer? I'm running out of lame reasons here. There has to be a conceivable excuse. Right? Oh wait, this is Jeff Schultz we're talking about. I'm sure he just flashed St-Louis his goofy grin and dropped for no reason other than to make us all batty.
I could see us moving up, but I guess the real question is, who is going to drop down? Is there any teams that aren't interested in whats up high in the draft and more interested in, say, the trifecta of relatively incompetent D-men? Or maybe just a few late round picks?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@Pat

WOW. So cheap for a starter. Why can't we get that lucky.

Posted by: keef | June 20, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I like how the picture they have of Ellis doesn't have him making a spectacular franchise-saving stop. Instead, he looks rather useless as the puck slides over the goal line. I'm sure Chris Mason arranged for TSN to find that picture. "Me? For a fourth-rounder? Darn you, Ellis! At least you can look bad in your signing announcement picture."

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 20, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Mauree,

I remember Frodo whacking #55 also.

I still think locking him in a cage with a weight bench, raw meat and "Eye of the Tiger" on a loop might be the answer to tapping into his mean streak.

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

How did Preds pull that one off? 3.5m for two years...?

Posted by: Steve R | June 20, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

So, Cloutier and Emery are waived and Ellis signs for 2 yrs/ $3.5 mil.

Whats that make Huet worth?

Posted by: NJ | June 20, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

In this chat, they say a 3 year deal will get Huet $13 million+

Posted by: Pat | June 20, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Just stopping, still avidly reading but I am not sure if I can add anything to the Green predictions.

Anyways, just saw that Carter resigned with Flithy 15 m for 3. Just to say, I would take Greenie over Carter..

Chief still sucks, Jschon is the man..

R

Posted by: Roger # 94 | June 20, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

With Olie getting $5mm/yr, anything less would be welcome. I wonder if the team set the bar with that price or will acknowledge they were overpaying. If Olie was worth $5mm the past season, Cris is worth $10mm.

Posted by: keef | June 20, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Steve R.

Yeah, I think so, too -- which is why I'd personally be mum about trading up.

Aside from the top 5-10, is there anyone worth trading up to get? I mean, that'd take a lot to get up that high.

(And part of me flushes with pride as we speak about how late the Caps are drafting.)

:-)

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 20, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

new thread and a crazy rumor comment...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Have not seen any comments about Emminger - is he finally gone?

Posted by: 828 | June 23, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse