Caps Sign Prospect Perreault

The Caps have signed prospect 2006 draft choice Mathieu Perreault to a three-year-entry level deal.

A sixth-round choice (177th overall), Perreault, a 5 foot 9, 166-pound center, led the QMJHL in scoring this season, notching 114 points (34 goals, 80 assists) in 65 games for Acadie-Bathurst, and was the league MVP last season. This was his second straight 100-point season and posted a club record 27-game point streak.

Perreault's team finished third in the QMJHL's East Division and is currently in the first round of the playoffs.

As for the current Caps, they should be arriving here at BankAtlantic Center in a few minutes for a team meeting and optional practice. I'm scheduled to host a chat at noon, and I hope to be able to stay for the full hour, but I might have to bail a few minutes early to catch the players before they leave.

Update:Practice was extremely optional today and most players opted to take the day off to rest and recover. I'm working on a story for tomorrow's Post on Sergei Fedorov and what he's meant to the team in recent weeks.

If any news breaks, I'll post an another update.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 28, 2008; 11:36 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steckel Is Close; Clark Not So Much
Next: The Goaltending (Non) Rotation

Comments

First!

Great win last night! Keep it up boys!!

Posted by: RIT | March 28, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Reposted from previous thread, RE: 3-Point Games.

Rich C

Well, that wasn't as hard as I thought. After each night, NHL releases updated overtime-shootout stats for all teams in the league...so finding # of shootout games was pretty easy.

Here's what I did (please tell me if I did it wrong):
1. Games entering shootout are new value for 1-point ties. Current OTL column is removed.
2. Game resolution in non-shootout overtime is ignored and kept the same. (removal of OTL removes 3rd point).
3. Shootout WINS are subtracted from team's win total.

EAST:

10. PHO:74
11. CHI:72
12. CBJ:68
13. EDM:66
14. STL:62
15. LAK:60

As we can see, while the seeds move a bit, there is not much that changes with who is in the top 8 slots. CAPS as of right now lose the tie-breaker to both BOS and BUF (games played). The race for 8 and 7 are much closer though.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 28, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Perrault becomes the second Caps prospect in a row to win the MVP for the QMJHL (Bouchard was the other). Hats off to the Caps scouts.

Posted by: b.orr4 | March 28, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Flash haters....eat crow!!

He has potential, and plays a sound defensive game in his own zone. As long as he is not a defensive liability, BB will let him play and gain experience.

He has not done much offensively, but he has not hurt the team defensively either. Unlike our boy Semin, he is not a minus 20 something on the year.

Great win, too bad Boston cant lose one.

Posted by: Genotype55 | March 28, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, any word on Kozy?

Posted by: Ffx | March 28, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Tarik - I will miss today's chat and was wondering if you will please address Kozlov's status either here on the blog or in the chat. It didn't look so good when Poti was pushing him off the ice. Thanks!

Posted by: Jill | March 28, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Just saying whats up, staying away from the hockey talk today bc Coach BB told me to take a break before tomorrows big game (like they all arent big).

Great time last night with the buckets o' beer. I think we had like 10 to 15 of em. Can anyone do the math on that?

Got to meet a couple fellow bloggers, Super and Jschoon, very cool kids, and the crowd was great. Also got to meet horn guy and cap guy aka harry potter on a personal level. Got bambozzled by a good looking woman Caps fan, won't go too far into it.

On the same note, went back to Front Page and the manager was very apologetic about what they did last night so hopefully, they will cover away playoff games and really hook us up.

Again, had a great time and look forward to Saturday night. I think we came up with the Green Turtle for Saturday but I will look for further confirmation.

Posted by: Roger # 94 | March 28, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Where is the link to the noon chat? I can't find it anywhere on the website.

Posted by: Bill | March 28, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jill | March 28, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@ Yosh / Boo

I see what you're both saying and you bring up a good point which i respect, but I don't see it as being a double standard... and here are the reasons why...

1) full season of solid goalteding by Huet.
3) you've got the goalie that gives you the best chance to win, playing... AND he's on a 5 game win streak. (that's the hot-hand AND best choice between the two) olie hasn't had more than a 3-gamer...
4) last game out, olie got the loss. (albeit not his fault at all)

Reverse all of that, and those are your reasons why Olie would be starting over Huet.

No doubt olie has been playing better recently, but he's still not your best chance to win.

Posted by: Scofield | March 28, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

AH whats going on with the discussion page, it refuses to work for me today, and yes I tried Jill's link and finding it on my own. I had a semi-informed question to ask, and several half-baked ones to throw out there too

Posted by: AP | March 28, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

How about those CAPS!!!!! How was the Front Page last night?
@Boo or Jill
Did you get to meet our bloggers???
@Genotype 55
Hate to say it, but Flash still isn't that good yet, one game winning goal, important or not, does not justify his lack of contribution - it's called consistency!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

so i'm a ducks fan from socal living in dc, and i've sort of adopted the caps as my second team. is there a big message board where caps fans go? or is it just this page?

Posted by: ultra | March 28, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov has been absolutley amazing this last couple weeks. I understand that we've got Nylander and that Fedorov was viewed as a rental but I can't see not making a strong push to keep him around at seasons end. I know Feds enjoys the roll he has here and playing with all the young Russians. Should the Caps maybe explore sending Nylander and that impressive plus/minus packing? Send him to Edmonton..they wanted him last year anyway.

Posted by: Jake K | March 28, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Jake K

Nyls played hurt and with Semin. Neither will help your +/-.

Feds would be great to keep around, and he brings a ton to this team, but there just is no room without letting another guy go. Laich and Fehr, IMO, are caps next year, but if we fail to resign either, I'd see us trying to keep Feds.

My only concern with Feds right now is he seems to be playing @150lbs. By that I mean, he's getting knocked around and abused A LOT. The guy seems to be easy to remove from the puck (ala Flash/Semin). I wonder what a full season of that kind of beating would do to him. I love what he's doing right now, but I'd rather see us continue to build with what we've got.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 28, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Per Jake K, Nylander has a no-trade clause. His family loves DC which is the main reason he came back to the Caps. He is not going anywhere.

If the Caps could resign Federov for 2.5 mil a year for two years, they would be well served to do it. Even as a third line center, his face-off prowess, off-ice presence (especially as a mentor) and utility in basically all situations make him desirable to resign.

Something tells me he will command more elsewhere and the Caps wont match.

Posted by: Matt | March 28, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I meant Fedorov...so much for proof-reading before hitting submit.

Posted by: Matt | March 28, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

How far away are Bouchard and Perrault from the NHL in terms of years? These kids are doing sick things in the juniors. I hope their presence with kids translates into great NHL careers eventually. Did the Caps sign Bouchard yet? How does he look this year?

Posted by: JIM | March 28, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

While I agree that we need to keep Nyls around as the #2 center i also feel it may be just as important to resign Feds as a mentor to those young Russians......especially Semin!!! Maybe some of Feds defensive prowess would actually rub off on him!!!!

Posted by: Phil | March 28, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Looking at Fedorov's faceoff % and the fact that he has two Selkes under his belt, I wouldn't mind keeping him around as a checking-line center.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Semin-Nylander-Laich?
Cooke-Fedorov-Clark?
Laing-Gordon/Steckel-Bradley

Laich and Clark and maybe Cooke (assuming we re-sign him... If we don't, Laing up to the third and Gordo to the wing) and Laing could be switched... This would relegate the Donald and either Gordon or Stecks to the pressbox. As far as Flash goes, either back to Hershey or traded...

Posted by: Murshawursha | March 28, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It seems like Feds is playing for a contract next year, and I doubt it matters to him who it comes from, but he's out to prove his value and get the $$ he thinks he's worth.

Regarding signing those we need for next season, I have a feeling we will soon be in the same boat as the Wings where players will take a little less to be on a perennial Cup contender. Our backlog of upcoming talent seems exhaustive (fingers crossed).

Posted by: keef | March 28, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@Murshawursha

We all love Laing, but is he starter material? Maybe with more time but I think there are many young'uns we could be giving that time to in order to have them for a long time.

You want Stecks riding pine????

Posted by: keef | March 28, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to the fullbright guy anyways? He fall off the face of the earth or what?

Posted by: stoopid | March 28, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@Keef

Not really, but I don't want Gordon benched either. I'm glad it's not a decision I have to make... And yeah, I'd start Laing. The guy's a human wall and he plays his heart out every shift. The only other guys I could put in there are Flash or Fehr, and neither of them have done anything to impress me. Flash shows flashes of brilliance, but too often I don't notice him, and I think his time is running out... I'd give Fehr a bit of a break cause he was out so long.

Posted by: Murshawursha | March 28, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

murshawursha

Flash can not be sent down. He will be claimed off waivers. We can not avoid waivers if we send him down.

Steckel is our checking line center. The chemistry he, the donald and Brads has is amazing and those guys need to stay together (that depends of course on our resigning of brads).

Cooke and Clark are too alike to play on the same line. Clark deserves the "kozlov" spot on the top two lines. Either AO/Backs/(Koz/Clark)
Semin/Nyls/(Clark/Koz)

Our flux next year is lines 3 and 4. It will all come down to the contract status of Laich and Fehr. If either are not resigned, look for us to make a move on Feds. If both are resigned, we just don't have the room for Feds. If we can't resign either Laich or Fehr, look for us to try to get Cooke back.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 28, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Was it just me or on that faceoff last night that led to the Semin tying goal, did Fedorov tie up the Bolt's stick before the puck was dropped? It looked like it to me, but I guess the linesman would have stopped it, the way they they throw guys out of the circle for just flinching these days.

Posted by: Phil | March 28, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@ffs enough

I see no reason the caps would not be able to re-sign both Laich and Fehr for at least next season. Both are RFAs and while Laich may command a slight raise coming off his 20 goal performance, Fehr will simply be qualified.

Posted by: Caps Corndog | March 28, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Greenie:
I didn't go - I was snug as a bug in a rug at home.

From the previous post:

fricnkoutstandin:
You say that Huet is the better keeper - I am not debating that, my point is that when Olie was the better keeper (i.e. Huet was not here), he still took heat for such performances. That's the double-standard.

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I am a fan of anyone that does not include Brash in the lineup next season!

It would help the Caps out a ton to keep Fedorov if he is willing to accept a reduced role. It would also provide for incredible insurance in case one of the other centers go down to injury. He's well worth the money on PP too.

Posted by: RobMonroe | March 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

TBH I could care less if flash gets claimed off waivers. I might regret that somewhere along the line were it to come to pass, but I just haven't seen anything from him to make me think he's a keeper. A couple of pretty goals here and there, with a month without a point in between... That doesn't cut it IMO.

I accept the Cooke/Clark arguement... Switch him and Laich and I'm still happy. And as much as I like Brashear, I don't think he needs to dress every night. We've got plenty of other guys who aren't afraid to drop the gloves that provide more punch in other ways. Yes, Brash is a relentless forechecker, but I think Bradley can fill his role on most nights.

Posted by: Murshawursha | March 28, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

A willingness to drop the gloves is not enough. The brawler must win decisively a majority of his bouts. I don't think any Caps except Brashear can do that.

Posted by: uncatim | March 28, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!
I think the difference is the goals that Olie allowed just looked to be extremely soft goals on several occasions. I have seen maybe two goals which Huet should have had in my opinion since he has been here.

Posted by: Phil | March 28, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Federov, could also play wing like he did on occasion in Detroit when he played on a line with Larionov and Slava Kozlov. I would like to see him say because he still plays fantastic two-way hockey and has been solid at faceoffs. It's too early for him to retire or got back to Russia to finish out his career.

Posted by: Lowell | March 28, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
But Olie has played well lately - top 10 in Feb! They have both been excellent as of late. Regardless, Olie never gets slack - Huet does.

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

A couple of positive things on Semin last night. When the puck got stuck in his glove and the guy slashed him, Alex got in his face, but didn't take a stupid penalty as he would have last year. 2 he back checked really well several times. and 3 he got right into the scrum around the net after the whistle and backed his guy off. oh rather nice goal too.

Posted by: billd | March 28, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo

At what point in the season did Koltzig prove to be "the better goalie" even before Huet got here??

People were calling for his head then because he wasn't reliable. One game he'd be lights out, then the next night he'd look like he belonged in the ECHL. That was the whole reason they signed Huet to begin with. That trade doesn't become an issue if Koltzig is playing above average on a consistent basis.

He's something like 3 games over ,500 since Thanksgiving... when BB took over (when the team started their turn-around.) how can you defend that he wasn't given a fair shot? He just didn't earn it... last week, last month or all season.

Posted by: Scofield | March 28, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

mursh

I can understand the flash/waviers thing. Problem with that is we get nothing for him if he gets claimed. We keep him for the remainder of his deal, he's still RFA (a reason he was extended this year) and we can qualify him and let him go for a pick (like what will happen with Emmy this year.

We'll probably not agree on Brashear. I could see him and Laing swapping spots in the press box next year depending on how tough the team we play is, but IMO he is more useful than Laing.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 28, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Boo!:

I understand what you are saying that Olie has been solid lately. But, I still cringe when he is in goal and lets in a puck that looks the least bit questionable. All I can think is "O Lord, here we go again." I can't seem to get past his early play and I think that effects the opinion of everyone else as well. Huet played well in Montreal all season hence the slack. I love Olie but man at times this year he has just looked old and slow.

Posted by: Phil | March 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Are we watching different games? I don't see Feds got knocked around at all. He is obviously no Ovechkin, but he is much better physically than, say, Semi.

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@tarik

Will Perreault be sent to Hershey after Junior playoffs are over?

Thanks!!

Posted by: CantMissKid | March 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Can we get some predictions on the Flyers and Hurricanes games? You got to SWAMI for us...we need something to go our way.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 28, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

RFA's
Fehr - re-sign 2yr/2M
Gordon - good bye
Eminger - good bye
Morrisonn - re-sign 3yr/$4.5M
Green - re-sign 6yr/$33M
Laich - re-sign 3yr/$4.5M

UFA's
Fedorov - a sad good bye (someone will give him 2yr/$6M)
Huet - 3yr/$12M
Cooke - 2yr/$4M
Bradley - good bye
Kolzig - good bye

Off-season
Trade Poti -3.5M if Pothier is able to play
Sign Alzner + Godfrey

Assume Clark and Nylander are healthy...

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Clark/Fehr
Semin/Nylander/Kozlov (Semin + Kozlov played well together)
Cooke/Laich/Fehr/Clark/Flash
Brashear/Steckel/Bourque/Clark

Green/Morrisonn
Pothier/Schultz
Alzner/Lepisto/Jurcina/Erskine

Posted by: GM JSchon | March 28, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Guys/Gals, let's not go back to the goalie posts, BB has made his decision, we need to trust him. I'm all for letting Olie rest, but don't eliminate him totally, he is still capable of stellar performances when needed, he does come up big on occasion, let coaching and play decide who starts, we may need him down the road, he isn't horrible, give him some credit, he still can save a 100mph slap shot (unleashed by the papa) that you or I wouldn't stand in front of, so ease up and let's see what happens. My gosh he doesn't suck totally!
Sometimes this board is too hard/relentless on guys, everyone has bad games/seasons, for whatever reason - give the guy a break! He hasn't given up or even tanked a game.
For the record, I think Huet is playing better, to me it seems he is in better position to make the save every time. No big deal, I think Olie is bigger and intimidates with how much of the goal he covers - each has their strengths and weaknesses!

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Yo

Watch Feds when he delivers or receives a check. It's like watching a 6lb bowling ball trying to knock over 10 pins. The guy on the receiving end just doesn't move. He is trying to play the physical side of the game, but it's never been there for him and it is not there for him now. I appreciate the effort, but on the physical side of things, he seems more like a nussence than an effective checker.

What makes him valuable still is his ability to get the puck away before he receives the hits. He's also got the mind of a Russian Chess master int he faceoff circle... the guy is amazing.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm writing my story for tomorrow's paper about Sergei Fedorov and the impact he's had in his short time in Washington.

Thanks, Tarik! I was asking for it and looking forward to it. Please ask him if he likes Washington D.C. and how it could be compared to Ohio. Does he feel that he can catch the wave with Ovechkin and Caps to get another Stanley Cup?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Any chance the Caps would get rid of Semin? According to our hockey gurus he seems to be huge liability. That guy is atrocious, again, according to my knowledgeable ones.

Posted by: x | March 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

@ Greenie

for $5,000,000 a year, i'll stand in front of any slapshot you can find!! :-) HA HA!

Posted by: Scofield | March 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie

Sorry, no pint glasses passed out last night... I was going to get one for you...

Posted by: JSchon | March 28, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I think the hole in Olie's game now is there always seems to be at least a goal a game where you say, "Huet makes that save". It's hard to explain.
It's like benching Brett Favre.

Posted by: Shaggy | March 28, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@Scofield
Maybe for one, but not 40 games of it - You go right ahead - funny stuff!
Anyone who thinks that doesn't sting is crazy, even with pads you will feel it! Not me! No thanks! I appreciate what they do on the ice, it amazes me and I have played hockey for 15 years!

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon - thanks for trying - I appreciate it! Did you guys have a good time, sounds like the liquid was plentiful!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@FFS Enough

Let's agree to disagree, He knocked off Hatcher once, and it doesn't happen often for Hatcher.

The only thing I noticed is that after concussion that sidelined Fed for several games with CBJ, he is more cautious. But when he sees someone coming at him, he sometimes loses the puck because he is trying to avoid collision. Hard to blame him for that.

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@GM JSchon

I like the way you think. I"m not so sure that Fehr is ready for first.. and I'd almost like to have Kozlov out there with Ovy on first. Clark on 2nd gives Semin a better defensive pairing to allow him more creativity (see time to learn the defensive side of the game), as well as a veteran linemate. However, that line would be the most goal susceptible (Semin -20, Nyla -19, Clark 0)

All in all though.. I like your plan. I'd vote for you as GM!

Posted by: fricnkoutstandin | March 28, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Nylander has always been a + guy throughout his career. His -19 this year was solely due to his shoulder injury, playing with one arm doesnt allow you to grind it out in the corners.

He hadnt been in the - side since 2000.

Posted by: GM JSchon | March 28, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

How about this for a stat, your Washington Capitals were 2-0 last week against goaltenders named Karri

Posted by: AP | March 28, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I see Greenie making 3.5 maybe at most 4 million per.

Posted by: Cristiano | March 28, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

After reading Tarik's chat transcript, I'd say there's plenty of reasons to talk about the goalie situation. But it'll all be speculation until the season ends and Tarik gives us the real scoop.

Posted by: Jill | March 28, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

And by last week I mean this past week. AND you can go as far as saying we are 3-0 in our last 3 against goalies with A as the second letter of their first name.

Posted by: AP | March 28, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Scofield/Phil:
You are taking what I wrote to mean that Olie should play over Huet - I never said that (NEVER!). That's not my point. My point is, when Huet puts up a game that is less than perfect, he is not put under the same scrutiny as Olie is for the same performance. Period. Olie was the better keeper BEFORE Huet. Now, not so much. But he has played well (and RELATIVELY consistently) for the past couple of months - he would not have been top 10 in Feb if that was not the case (BTW, Huet was not top 10 in Feb). Can't you concede any of that?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Fehr needs trial by fire. Backstrom will be a year older. We need to figure out if Fehr is the guy we think he is. He needs to play on one of the top 2 lines. The first line is the only option, IMO, because Semin is still extremely inconsistent. Semin needs veterans with him and so does Fehr. You have to split them up. Fehr on the checking/energy line doesnt do us any good.

Posted by: GM JSchon | March 28, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Green will be offered $5M or more. Brian Campbell is RFA and will get $6M or more. All the top scoring defensemen make over $5. Green has tremendous upside, someone will seem to overpay for him, it should be us.

Posted by: GM JSchon | March 28, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

So Tarik's chat creates the conclusion that Kolzig isn't going to be the Number 1 here, so he'll be playing somewhere else that wants him as #1.

My first thought was: Look out Cassivi he's coming for your job!

My second thought was: German League?

My third thought: Is there a team in the NHL that really needs Olie as a co-#1? I can't see how he gets a gig that involves him being a #1. It might start off with him being co #1 with the young stud, but if the young stud takes off, he'll be riding the pine or get traded at the deadline (See Huet) so they can groom the stud. If the young stud stinks, Olie might physically break down playing every day. We all love Olie, he's going to toss all that respect people have for him to play one more vanity year which is all people will remember- that and his 4.5 GAA next year.

Discuss

Posted by: old time hockey | March 28, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

He also played a defenseman under Bowman and last season he finished playing d-man as well for CBJ because they were short of d-men

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Scofield

1) full season of solid goalteding by Huet.

For Montreal, not Washington...two very very different teams. And no offense to Washington's defense (which is young and getting better), but they aren't nearly as good/capable (at this point) as the Montreal D.

2) BB already made it clear that Olie won't start more than 2 games in a row because he needs the rest to stay sharp. (hence the goalie rotation - starting w/ BJ & olie, now Huet & olie)

I've never spoke against this. My point/argument this entire time is that Olie has been getting better SINCE the rotation started. That while he's lost a step, he's still got potential/the skills to compete when given time off. He's not 32 years old anymore...thus can't start 70-80% of the games. I've argued that it should be a 1a/1b combination with Huet getting 55-60 of the starts over a full year.

Again, never argued that point. Though I have argued when people say the team plays harder in front of Huet than Kolzig and that the players have lost faith in Kolzig. Blasphemy is all I can say to that.

Posted by: Yosh | March 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay it's fun to make jokes about how Olie is old and slow now! He's done nothing for Washington and deserves no respect whatsoever! Stupid old Olie! Stupid, stupid! I hope that he retires! Hahahaha OLD PEOPLE.

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | March 28, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@GM JSchon
I still want you to find room for my FEDS!
If I'm not mistaken we now have 3 goals because of clean face off wins in the offensive zone, we didn't have 3 the whole season prior to his acquisition???? I like Nylander, he was one of my favorite players before we traded him, he is a thread the needle kind of player as well - why did we ever trade him to begin with is beyond me as is why Halpie was traded - you can do a better job than the true GMMMMMMMM!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

boo!

Can't you concede any of that?!?

Posted by: Yosh | March 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

From previous post:

Greg S,
Ahhh Terry Christensen. I still shudder when I hear that name! Truth be told he wasn't the sole reason for the Manchester Storm folding but he sure didn't help. His problem was he was following the very successful and popular Kurt Klienendorst as head coach. KK had won us the British Superleague and the UK's major knockout tournement. KK is now head coach of NJ's AHL affiliate, Lowell Devils.

I had a few drinks with TC in the hotel bar where the team were staying on an away trip to Belfast. Now there is a city for drinking!! In those days the fans would mix with the team in the bar afterwards.

That was probably the furthest away trip I made as a Manchester Storm fan and that got me thinking.

To all, say the Caps made the playoffs, where would be the furthest city you would consider going to to watch the Caps in a live playoff game?

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I always heard the Halpern did not want to stay for the re-build like Witt.

Posted by: Erika | March 28, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Greenie

"didn't have 3 the whole season prior to his acquisition????"

Ummmm...I'd have to disagree wholeheartedly about that. I'm pretty sure OV has quite a few right off the face-off on the PP.

Posted by: Yosh | March 28, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"Good luck with that. I've tried and tried and tried to get someone to concede my point about Olie just having a stronger second half..(mid Jan-present)..to no avail."

@Yosh

That's ridiculous. I'd happily concede that. Who wouldn't?

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | March 28, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Erika

"I always heard the Halpern did not want to stay for the re-build like Witt."

Halpern left because Dallas offered him 4 years...he wanted the security of those additional years. If memory serves correct the Caps weren't willing to offer him more than 2.

Posted by: Yosh | March 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@Dave UK Caps Fan
No distance is too far for me as long as I have my messages/prayers for deliverance!
Ha Ha Ha!!!
I still can't believe I did that - it was fun - good thing no one took a picture of it!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo

Sure... I'll concede that he's under the microscope. But with his horrid start, he created the microscope for himself. That's kinda how I see it.

Seasons previous to this, even after a rough game or few games, he didn't get railed because everyone was confident that he'd bounce back. Now... not so much, which has created this downhill slide of criticism against him.

As far as Huet not getting the same treatment... If you're purely looking at numbers, he does deserve the same... but I think Phil had it correct when he said that it wasn't the amount of goals, it was more about his play creating those goals (huge rebounds, out of position) and softies that seem to be happening more and more frequently.

You're right... he definitely takes a beating, probably just as much on every Caps related board out there, but I think he's created the situation for himself rather than it being a double standard.

I hope that makes sense... believe me, I don't wanna see the guy go down in flames... while I'm not a huge fan, he's done so much for this team and this town, he just pulls on the heart-strings and you hope things work out great, but at this point in the season, wins prevail, so he's gonna take the heat when he doesn't win.

The only other way to look at it is that he was so good for so long, he built up a reputation that spoiled us all and he can't live up to it anymore... so we come down on him for it.

Posted by: Scofield | March 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

NoCountryForCapsFans

Maybe you weren't around on those days/weeks with the debate then.

Posted by: Yosh | March 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Yosh
Would love to know how many we had before FEDS - I honestly was looking for the information and couldn't find it, but I'm not sure???? hence the???????? Looked last night and this morning, I was seriously talking about clean wins!!! I think the number is 3 prior to Ovie.

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@ Yosh
Sorry I can't type as fast as I can think!!
restate - I think the number is 3 for Ovie prior to FEDS.

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh

Granted - I recognize that I'm practically brand new here - but who in their right minds would have been making an argument that Olie's play hasn't improved marketably during the second half of the season? Even if someone had a reason (which I can't imagine) to completely hate the guy, what would they base that argument on? He's been far better during the homestretch no doubt, how is that debatable?

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | March 28, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Greenie

I can't figure a way to go back and figure that one out. Nor can I say with 100% certainty there been more than 3. I can say though that I remember different occasions at games where we (people in my row) have talked about the goal being a direct result of the face-off.

Posted by: Yosh | March 28, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Why on earth do people want to trade Poti? He's been a fine defenseman, he's not caught out of position a lot, and he has been playing all year while hurt. His shot isn't all there, give him an offseason to heal. You hated Nylander and yelled at him all year while he was hurt, and when he announced it and stopped playing, you forgive him? It's a pain.

Besides, Poti's been nothing but a solid defenseman for most of his career. Give him some slack.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | March 28, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

@Whiter Mage
Forget asking for slack, this is a tough board! Your wasting your typing skills!

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Scofield:
I'll just take the "you're right" portion of your post and disregard the rest ... ;-) To say that Olie basically brought the scrutiny on himself given his start does not hold water - if that were the case, then the entire team should be under the same microscope. Remember - we were not only in the division basement, and not only in the conference basement, but we were in the league basement (Olie did not take use down there alone).

NoCountryForCapsFans:
Welcome to the senseless debate!!

Yosh:
Keep on keepin' on - I'm behind ya ...

mauree:
Care to chime in?!? I know this is your favorite subject!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's true that Sid has the staying power and the greater overall value, and maybe it's true that Ovechkin eventually will crash and burn. But isn't it better to live one hour as a tiger than a whole lifetime as a worm?

Posted by: Studebaker | March 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@GM JSchon,

Campbell is a UFA, not an RFA...big difference. I don't understand why so many people (not just you by any means, sorry to single you out) seem to think that other teams are going to throw the bank at Green/any RFA, when history says that's just NOT the case. First off, you end up waaaaaay overpaying for the player in order to offer him enough to avoid the original club matching the offer. THEN, you have to give up major draft picks as well. Poaching RFAs is not a strategy any team is going to employ...it's a desperate last resort of teams that have failed in the UFA market (such as Edmonton, who tried it last year with 2 different players. And they can't do that again, because they already lost all the draft picks that they would have to give up with the signing of Penner.)

I was hoping to find a list of players that have received offer sheets recently and I couldn't. BUT, I did find the following quote from article about Vanek last year: "The Vanek signing marks the second time in as many years that a team has tried to land another club's restricted free agent. Last year, the Philadelphia Flyers offered Ryan Kesler a $1.9 million US deal that was easily matched by the Vancouver Canucks.".

I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying that the ONE player this year who gets an offer MIGHT be Green, when there will be dozens of other established and/or budding stars in the same pool.

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@BOO

The entire team IS under the same microscope (save for Huet, Fedorov, and Cooke). The difference is that since BB took over, our offense has improved. We are playing to win, as opposed to "not lose".

However, Olie has done better under BB, he has not truly improved his game. The team has done better. The microscope is aimed at the fat rebounds, the out of position butterfly, the slow closing 5-hole, the mediocre SO record, and the poor stick handling.

Olie was / and always will be a great member of the Capitals. however, he's not the best player at his position on the roster anymore. Huet is quicker, stronger, and positioned better throughout the games more so then Olie. Thus, he should be the starter.

Where is all the "controversy" coming from? I haven't seen anyone say Olie should be starting.. because we all know it's not true.

The majority of fans will lovingly remember how good he was. But he's not the now. He's not the new. He's got one foot on the boat to the island of misfit toys.

He may be a veteran backup somewhere next year. Or better yet, maybe he will stay with the organization in some front office spot. Either way, he's been great, and I hope he stays with the Caps.. just off the ice.

Posted by: fricnkoutstandin | March 28, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

No quarter will be given...

My feeling on moving Poti, is purely economics.

If you keep Poti and Pothier comes back, you'll have over $15 million tied up on the blue-line assuming you sign Green for $5 to $6M and Morrisonn to about $1.5.

So here are your blue-liners...

Poti/Schultz
Green/Morrisonn
Pothier/Jurcina
Alzner/Lepisto
Erskine/
+Godfrey and Seabrook a year away.
Thats pretty crowded...

Its a business decision, a tough one, but if I could get a decent draft pick or a decent young defensemen who might be a year away from the NHL, I'd do it.

His salary is massive and having 2 guys make almost 10M on a young team is too much...

Posted by: GM JSchon | March 28, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"The issues people are having is that they feel Olie is being disrespected or dismissed. Well.. kinda.. yeah... and so? In the world of blogs.. sometimes it's the best you can hope for."

What the...?

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | March 28, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I know Greenie. I just thought I'd bring up the past. Oh well.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | March 28, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@Gusdaman

Yes, poaching RFAs is rare, but two words to remember:

Dusin Penner

Posted by: old time hockey | March 28, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@fricnkoutstandin - You lost me with "He's got one foot on the boat to the island of misfit toys."

Posted by: Jill | March 28, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@GusDaMan

It only takes one team to offer a player a contract that may be considered out of the market. Green, a highly skilled scoring defensemen, will be sought after. Again its just my opinion that he will be making $5M+ when its all said and done.

Posted by: GM JSchon | March 28, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@GM JSchon,

You think Poti's salary is "Massive" at 3.5 and you want to throw 6 mil at Green without batting an eyelash?!?

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 28, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Devils 2 Philly 1
Canes 3 Thrash 2 (OT-SO)

Posted by: Swami | March 28, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

fricnkoutstandin:

Ya'all are making this about whether or not Olie should start - not me.

(For the umpteenth time), I was simply saying that Olie would have been slaughtered for the same performance that Huet put up last night.

Huet gets slack (ala OUR SAVIOR!); Olie gets scrutiny (ala HE is the reason for EVERY loss, and when we win with him in goal, we win DESPITE him).

OK, maybe a little dramatic, but you get the point ... (you do get it, don't you?!?)

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Why does Poti suck so bad?

Posted by: TheSonny1 | March 28, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Poti has played decent lately.

Posted by: I.M Poti-Trained | March 28, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Green and how much it will cost to re-sign him, I don't disagree that IF someone offers him an offer sheet, it will be in the 5-6 mil range...I just think the odds border on astronomical that he will actually receive such an offer sheet.

Thus the reason I tend to scoff at statements such as "some team will offer him 5 to mil per year" (emphasis mine).

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 28, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Poti - 31yrs old 1g 25a
Green - 22yrs old 17g 33a

Lidstrom - $7.5M
Gonchar - $5M
Phanuef - $6.5M
Markov - $5.75M
Campbell - $6M (my guess)
Rafalski - $6M
Kaberle - $4.25M
Jovanowski - $6.5M
Chara - $7.5M
Pronger - $6.25M

I left off M.Streit, I dont know much about him but he is a UFA.

Those are the top point getting blue-liners.

I bat an eye, take a deep breath, and shake his hand and say "I happy that you'll be a Capital for next 6 year".

Posted by: JSchon | March 28, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo!

I am in total agreement with you. Don't stress out over a couple of Olie haters.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@Boo;
Not dramatic at all...that's exactly what happens. Olie get crucified and Huet gets a pardon on 2 of those goals last night. Some Caps fans are just ignorant sometimes. Their opinion is gospel, and nothing will change it... Their OPINION is Olie sucks...MY opinion is that most of them do. You people need to stop dumping on Olie all the time. HE is NOT the only reason this team started the season in the crapper. That distinction belongs to Hugs Hanlon and GM, who didn't fire his butt a week sooner...wake up, people.

Posted by: Jeeze | March 28, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

C'mon you bandwagon fans who are ONLY watching the team and even READING this blog b/c they are winning...let me have it!

Posted by: Jeeze | March 28, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"Update:Practice was extremely optional today and most players opted to take the day off to rest and recover. "

I wish work was extremely optional today...

Posted by: AP | March 28, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

you beat me to it, AP.

Posted by: jamebow | March 28, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Well I'm betting I only beat you on typing it.

Posted by: AP | March 28, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if I am the only one that knew about this, but I heard that there was some sort of a college basketball tournament going on. Huh....

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo

ok, you can stop there :-) ha!

actually though, I don't think he is the sole reason we started so bad, but to absolve him of his lackluster play just because the rest of the team didn't give up only 5 shots a game is kinda bogus too. It was a total team thing... but when we started to rebound, he was still only so-so. W-L doesn't just tell the story... his play, overall, just hasn't returned to his "top goalie" form IMO.

@ Yosh

Huet has played BETTER here (with our young and inexperienced defense) than when he had that "more capable" defense in Montreal... care to explain that?

Why should Olie get 30 starts a year when Huet (you're #1 of the purported #1 and #1a rotation) is 7-2 in a stretch run (both losses were flukes in the last minute) with a 2.03 GAA and 92% save percentage???

Blasphemy? maybe... but if you've watched the games that Huet's played and the games Olie has played... you've seen the difference. It's not some "read between the lines" thing, it's impossible to deny the team has just played better for Huet. It is what it is.

Posted by: Scofield | March 28, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan

There's no tournament going on for Connecticut. The first round is past.. Zing.

Yes, I know about the women. I'm married to a CT woman. All she does is talk about Lady Huskies.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 28, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

NY slapshot:

A planned trip to New York by Anatoly Bardin, the general manager of the Russian Elite League team Avangard Omsk, next week has all kinds of implications for the Rangers.
For one, it is the team that Rangers' first-round draft pick Alexei Cherepanov plays for and the Rangers have been trying since the draft to work out a deal to bring Cherepanov here before his contract with Omsk runs out at the end of the 2008-09 season. That contract is the reason many people believe Cherepanov fell to the Rangers at the 17th pick. The Rangers would like him here next season and once thought they had a deal that would make that happen, but Omsk has since backed off.
But even more intriguing is that Jaromir Jagr plans to meet with Bardin, Jagr has confirmed.
Jagr played for Omsk during the N.H.L. lockout and has spoken glowingly about his time there and said he would like to return and play there at the end of his N.H.L. career. Lately, he has been cagey about returning to the Rangers when he becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, although he ends those conversations by saying he will not talk about it until the season is over.

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted this on the last entry, but will do so again here. Say what you want about fan reaction to the goals Huet let in, but from Boudreau's point of view, there is one consideration that overwhelms the rest: Huet is solid in the shootout, Olie isn't. Them's just the facts. At this time of year, with every point worth its weight in gold and games coming down to the last shot, this is what the coach has to go with. Both goalies have proven they can get the team through 60, even 65 minutes and not lost. Only Huet has proven he can seal the deal in the shootout with some regularity. Huet has to go the rest of the way, because any game could come down to the shootout.

Posted by: katzistan | March 28, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@ old time hockey

Just because I live here, doesn't mean I like the teams. I HATE Uconn basketball. Born and raised in DC. An alumni of GMU.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@Jeeze and Boo
Those of us who have been watching for years and years know that Olie is not the reason - he is being used as a scape goat (only because he is not the spectacular youngster he once was) -Huet may be better, but as I have said before and will continue to say - the guys are finally playing for each other and TAKING RESPONSIBILITY......no one has been held accountable for the way they play until Bruce showed up!!!!!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

An impressive list of blue-liners...almost all of whom are earning what they are after entering the UFA market. They weren't making that kind of money after ONE good season (with the possible exception of Phaneuf, who plays a MUCH better all around game than Green). I for one will be very disappointed if we throw that kind of money at Green, despite the fact that I think he's great.

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 28, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Greenie and Boo,

I respect your love for Olie, but get real... Just check the stats, Olie has been the worst in NHL up until Feb, and even after he improved, he obviously didn't do well enough.

I feel the opposite, Olie gets the favorable treatment because of his past, and he is very good at manipulating people and upper management.

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@ GusDaMan

Problem with that though is a team, like Edmonton who wants to hand it to us for the Nyls signing, will come along and do it. We can control the price by signing him first and not letting him go to free agency.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not M.Greens agent, I have no vested interest in this other than being a fan. Salaries are often based on what you're done and what you are predicted to do. Hey, we drafted a guy who is looking like an all-star for a lot of years, that's our fault. It would also be our fault if we didnt recognize that and pay him what he should be making. You might be upset paying $5.5M a year, but if he bolts because you didnt want to pony up an extra $1 over 6 years and he puts up 50 points a year and competes for the Norris, you wouldnt be upset?

Posted by: JSchon | March 28, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@ Yo

I think Olie should get favorable treatment over Huet if only for his long service to bringing this town winning teams. That is not to say he shouold be starting now, but he should be getting more favorable treatment than someone who has been here for a month. The place he does not get favorable treatment is right here on this blog.

If I understand Boo correctly, it is not that she thinks he should be starting but he should not be singled out for a bad game any more than Huet. In my mind, he should be singled out LESS based on history.

Obviously as many people disagree as agree. Seems like it is on par with whether or not OV gets the MVP, playoffs or not.

Oh, yeah. Let's Go Caps!!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@ CT Caps Fan

That's pretty much it... there's no real answer that's gonna work for everyone, but i guess that's the beauty and the beast of the whole conversation/blog.

I honestly believe that if Huet starts giving up huge rebounds and giving up soft goals on a consistent basis, he'd get the same treatment.

I have no loyalty to Huet, I just think he's a better goalie, and even as good as olie has been playing recently, Huet's been better... record wise and technically as a goalie.

Posted by: Scofield | March 28, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan
I've posted this before and I am posting it again:
February 16, 2008, 11:27 am
Why Ovechkin, Lecavalier and Kovalchuk Can't Win? Simple answer: bad goaltending.

rank goalie, team mins sv pctg
40 Johan Hedberg, Atl 1,492 .896
41 Fredrik Norrena, Clm 1,384 .896
42 Ray Emery, Ott 1,297 .892
43 Johan Holmqvist, TB 2,288 .890
44 Olaf Kolzig, Wsh 2,591 .887

Kolzig is 44th out of 44 in NHL. He is not a scapegoat, he is a bad goalie. His best days are over.

Now look how Huet is rated

Feb, 27, 2008
17. Toskala
18. Backstrom
19. Legace
20. Theodore
21. Gerber
22. Huet
James Mirtle: Pascal Leclaire, Chris Osgood and Jose Theodore are too high on the list, even if it's entirely based on this season, while I'd have Cristobal Huet and Kari Lehtonen much higher.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan,

Except as I pointed out earlier, edmonton can't sign any RFAs this year because they already lost all their picks when they signed Penner.

And you are falling into the same fallacy that actually started my semi-rant on this topic by saying "Problem with that though is a team, like Edmonton who wants to hand it to us for the Nyls signing, will come along and do it."

As I conceded before, IF he gets an offer sheet, it will probably be vastly inflated and be worth 5+ per year. IF. But history shows us that offer sheets are very infrequently offered to RFAs. I'm not willing to base my negotiations, as a GM, on the inflated price that he COULD get from some desperate team. Whether or not Kevin Lowe MAY be stupid enough to pay him that amount shouldn't impact what I ACTUALLY pay him...until such a point as I actually have to pay that stupid amount to match some desperate GM trying to keep his job.

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 28, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I've posted Kolzig/Huet numbers, but missed the id

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I would just like to say that Alex Ovechkin reminds me of me as the Terminator. He goes after opposing teams' defenses and goalies like they were all named Sarah Connor.

Posted by: Arnold Schwarzenegger | March 28, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Where's Russ Thaler?

Posted by: WaPoLive | March 28, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

@ Yo

#22 versus #44. Yes, better, but not dominant. Either way, stats only give justification for who should start, which nobody is arguing about. It is the treatment factor.

New topic.

Chick peas are neither chicks nor peas...discuss

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, better, but not dominant

So true, I wonder why GMGM brought Huet here in the first place, he is only 22 guys ahead of Olie... :-)

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Regardless.... I like chicks and peas :-)

Posted by: Scofield | March 28, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's just say they will be retiring Olie's number long before Huet's. And I will be there to be a part of it.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Atlanta vs Canes tonight.

Canes Country blog reports that "the rest of NHL roots for Caps because they want Ovechkin in playoffs"

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

My take on the Mike Green situation is that he will be a Cap next year.

This summer, teams will have to think LONG AND HARD about making an offer to an RFA. Because if they do, they will lose a first round pick in the 2009 draft.

That's when Jonathan Tavares will be available, and so will Victor Hedman, the Swedish defenseman that some scouts have rated above Tavares. (BTW Hedman's brother Oscar is a Caps draftee). Teams will be hesitant to risk missing their chance at "the next one"

So, if some team is willing to make Mike Green an offer of more than 5 million dollars a season, the Caps would seriously consider NOT matching it on the outside chance that they might get a top pick in 2009. But I don't think that offer will be coming, and Green will have to settle for a decent offer from the Caps that will make him a very rich young man.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 28, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I just don't get it why it hasn't been done already. GMGM is always tardy.

Posted by: Yo | March 28, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

When Bruce gets the big money from Ted he needs to take a trip to see Bruno Cipriani.
As for the goalie "controversy". There is none. BB has shown great respect to 37 since the trade deadline.Huet has proven he's the new #1.Huet has made those one or two saves a game that inspire the team.
By the way, "big money"-great song by Rush.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 28, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

@ Yo

I agree with you and the Canes report. I do believe the majority of the NHL want OV and the Caps in. I just wish the refs got the memo.

@ oneal

Nice, smart theory. I hope you are right

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@o'Neal....I will say upfront I do not know a thing about the players you named, so I will except they will be the next Lindstrom or OV even.It depends on the team that attempts to sign Green. If for example it is a Middle of Road or better team, that does not work as Green in theory will make them better hence higher in the Standings. However if it is say LA or someone in the lower third of the league then maybe your idea works. You are only talking about 2 or 3 players, so the the number of teams that fall into that category is small. My bet would be someone will attempt to sign him to a big contract just to push the caps into a tight cap situation with all the players the caps need to sign now and in the future. The fans will be in a uproar if the caps do not sign Green no matter the price. Scary process.

Posted by: Rich c | March 28, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Rich c - I definitely agree with that. If Detroit comes in with an offer, the Caps better match it because that first-round pick will be number 25 or lower.

But so far it has not been the "quality" teams that make the crazy RFA offers. (this is probably not a coincidence.. the quality GM's know that throwing money and draft picks away is not the way to build a team)

As for Tavares, there are a lot of scouts who say he would be the number one pick THIS YEAR if he were old enough. Supposedly he's the type of player that only comes along once every few years. A GM who gave away a pick that could have been used to draft him would soon be on the unemployment line.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | March 28, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

CT Caps Fan:
You are my new hero ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Still at work. Not sure that you want my opinion on Olie, I'll try to give an honest analysis. It's going to be a long post - keep me company for this ride :)

Game-wise there are two Olies: pre and post trades.

The pre-trades Olie is, stat-wise, one of the worst goalie in the NHL. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean one of the worst goalie: the team was not helping at all. Even at that time many were calling for his head and more starts for Brent. The main reasons were not really the stats, but a handful of games that honestly Olie gave away. One softie here, one there, the whole game momentum changes, game lost. I think I'm objective when I say that that happened in a few occasions. However there were other occasions when he deserved a shutout.
Add to that his spontaneous attitude, seen by many (sometimes including me) as a primadonna attitude, rarely blaming his own game and occasionally ready to point fingers at the teammates/coach. I think this, and those losses, were the reason why some got to actually hate Olie, and for many to bring on a big microscope to scrutinize his every move. The breed of Olie-haters was born. That microscope will turn off only when he retires - unless he plays some really spectacular game later on.

Post-trades Olie is better, stats and game-wise. But I think the pre-trades contaminates this and he's not gonna get a break. Ever. In any case, I appeal to the Olie haters to give the guy a break. He's a Cap, he doesn't want to lose. Let's support him - and at least respect him.

Comes in Huet. His first game a shutout against the devils! He's giving up some softies, but is making excellent saves too, and he's winning us games. And, maybe as important, even when we win he's blaming himself for the soft goals and admits that he let his teammates down.

Here comes my opinion. I we should keep riding Huet for now. Who knows what will happen later on this season.

Next year: I think Olie should "reset" his status. I don't want him to go anywhere else honestly, and I wish he end his career on a high note next year here with the Caps. It would be the perfect ending of this "movie" (I'm a sucker for good endings). If he wants this too, he need to accept to be #2 (assuming Huet stays here), and to have a substantial salary cut. Only this way he can really help the team. Do that, show his enthusiasm and willingness to selflessly help the Caps, and I'll cheer him up all next year. He'll have his chance to help.

Ok... looooong post... I know the content probably wasn't what you were looking for Boo!

oh and:

GO NJD! GO ATL!

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

mauree: Great Olie post. I heartily agree and I wish he would stay a Capital as a #2. I love Olie -- but I don't have confidence that he is still quick enough to stop shots game after game. From what Tarik says Olie still thinks he can. I would be very happy if Olie retires in a Caps jersey. That will probably be up to #37.

Posted by: uncatim | March 28, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

give Olie the respect he deserves(for his staying here,and getting us through hard times.)he is not the goalie he once was, hence te Huet move.But Olie is still and always will be a Caps Goalie. he will play for the Caps next year, just not as much in his wonderful past!

Posted by: capsfaninGa. | March 28, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...I posted as "Phil" about Fedorov this afternoon and was away a for few hours, but it looks like there's another Phil who started an Olie discussion (and got a few replies). For the record, I don't consider Olie to be the bane of good goaltending, but I do agree Huet is probably the answer for now. I'll change my name to "OldPhil" (as in "old Olie") to be identified with the old folks.

Posted by: OldPhil | March 28, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Not good --Staal scores for Carolina :42 seconds into the game

Posted by: uncatim | March 28, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo!

Any time! :)

And I agree with capsfaninGa. Olie was here during the rebuilding years. He stuck by this team, this management in the bad times. He deserves to be here in the good times. Hasek can still play over 40 and Brodeur can play at an age older than Olie.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Devils....a piece of my soul for a NJ victory.

Posted by: Rich C | March 28, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I pop out after work for a couple of beers and come back to find all hell breaking loose! :)

By the way Boo - I totally get the point you are making.

No one (with the exception of the lovely Miss/Mrs Greenie) answered my question about how far you would be prepared to travel to see the Caps live in the postseason.

The Devils are 2-1 up on Philly at the end of the 1st. Come on you Devils!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan, Mauree...

THAT is my point...Olie has stayed with this team through the rebuild. He has shown loyalty to one team which is almost unheard of today, in ANY major sport. He stole more than a few wins for us the last few years...now, the team is a contender, but ALL his past success is PAST. Everybody cant WAIT to get him on a bus out of town. His play has decreased, I dont think anyone denies that, but to spew the venom at him here, and on the Caps' message boards when he has been nothing BUT loyal to this team and it's EXTREMELY fickle fan base? It makes me want to vomit and sometimes ashamed to be a fan of this team; when other "fans" want to push the man who has been the face of this franchise for the last 14 years or so out the door. I'd LOVE for him to resign here as #1...especially if it ticks off his bashers...it may not happen, especially with Huet in the fold. But, after seeing all the criticism Olie gets, Huet may NOT want to get the same if he puts up a stinker (which he WILL) and may bolt to a "Hockey Town" Detroit can platoon #1 goalies...why can't Washington?

Posted by: Jeeze | March 28, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Devils up 3-1 now...

Hey, who do you think will start in 2 years? Who should we sign, who should we trade in 2011?

Seriously, we are heavy in this season right now... can't people talk about next season in a month or when the Caps are done for the year?

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Philly back to 3-2! Damm!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

take a deep breath Jeeze...
this is the same town that couldnt wait for Gibbs to get out his second time around...

I'm sure Huet is reading the blogs and paying attention to us to determine whether he stays or not... sigh...

he probably is listening to the Caps fans at the arenas, saying Hip Hip Huet... also probably looking at his stats and the team's winning % since he's been here.

dont be so manic.

Posted by: JSchon | March 28, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon;
Whatever. I'm just sick of the incessant bashing. Dont tell me to stop reading, because you people are like a car wreck...no matter how much you dont want to, you have to look; I have to read it to see what kind of ridiculous crap people are throwing after THIS loss. He gets crap WHEN HE DOESN'T EVEN PLAY!!! Players DO read these things, contrary to popular belief...THAT I have on good authority. I'm not saying it makes their decision on whether or not to re-sign, but they DO know what's going on.

Posted by: Jeeze | March 28, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon;
Dont patronize me. I'm just sick of the incessant bashing. Dont tell me to stop reading, because you people are like a car wreck...no matter how much you dont want to, you have to look; I have to read it to see what kind of ridiculous crap people are throwing after THIS loss. He gets crap WHEN HE DOESN'T EVEN PLAY!!! Players DO read these things, contrary to popular belief...THAT I have on good authority. I'm not saying it makes their decision on whether or not to re-sign, but they DO know what's going on.

Posted by: Jeeze | March 28, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

JSchon - I would say DC is the least of his worries as well. Being a "non-hockey" town, this city "expects less". Where as Montreal, Detroit, Buffalo, Philly, NY - "if you ain't first, you're last"... let me throw stones at you for you to get the hint that we don't want you anymore.

Kolzig could stay here - the bottom line - will he take a pay cut. I can't see anyone paying Olie 5 mil a year... not anymore. So, that boils down to - "Show me the money" or, "I want to be a part of something great".

You choose what type of person Olie is.

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Dave:

I cannot tell a lie - I started it. So you can blame me for the chaos. Sorry! But I am glad that you (and CT Caps Fan, Yosh, Greenie and Jeeze) get it. It is not about who is better or who should start, it is about the fact that they are evaluated differently for the same performance. It is a double-standard - period. Now that we've beaten that horse into Elmers glue ...

How far would I travel for a playoff game? I can't say there is a limit. In fact, I was thinking earlier this season it would be fun if they did a Winter Classic in Canada, MN, MI or MA (or NY or PA, but they are close) and invited the Caps so that they can see Ovie. I would totally go.

Speaking of MN, you never answered me - were you a Wild, Gophers or North Stars fan? If my math is correct, you were probably a little too late for the North Stars and too early for the Wild ... no?

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

JSchon - you going to the Green Turtle tomorrow night?

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Here is an evil thought...if you were Montral who would you rather play...The caps coming in on a roll or Boston? Let us hope they do not lay down to avoid the caps..It may just mean resting a player or two againgst them...stranger things have happened...Same with Pens and Philly...play Philly or caps

Posted by: Rich C | March 28, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Boo!, I honestly think people have known Olie for so long, where as Huet, he is new. Everyone likes new - so therefor, that is why they are evaluated differently.
I don't know - I really don't have an opinion about any of this. I don't care who is in goal - as long as we are winning and out scoring the other opponent, I am fine.

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Jeeze:
I appreciate your passion and support (of me and Olie :-)), but please don't get too fired up. It's really not worth it - no need to resort to name calling. We're all just a bunch of armchair ... uh ... centers (?!?) and our opinions don't amount to much, but we like to think that they do!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Rich C, I thought about that too. However, the Pens have owned the Caps, so I doubt they care. Both, I am sure are fighting for that #1 spot in the East - just for bragging rights. If all of that were true, you would think that ATL, TB, and FL would lay down to help boost the SE division... to make it seem that the division is better than it really is. I felt that way when Pitt beat WV in college football. Pitt had no reason to beat them and cost WV a national Championship. Why not lay down and let WV represent the Big East? Either way, I hope sports are not like that, but then again, like you said - stranger things have happened.

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

New topic:

Liquid Leather...it is neither liquid nor leather...discuss

By the way, Thrashers throwing a stink bomb tonight

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

By the way PHY at NJD is being broadcast by yahoo:

no need of any software for this one :)

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@Rich, 828
I'm suspect the Pens will tank the two games with Philly - they know they have been lucky with the Caps and they know the Caps can beat them - more than Philly that's for sure.

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

BUF is up 1-0... that may make them hungry for BOS - that is good news... "I think" :|

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
Shame on you!

Your math is right. Too late for North Stars too soon for Wild. I was there during the summer so followed the Twins.

DC didnt have a baseball team then so I dont consider it cheating!

I did answer this question on the previous post though! You were probably too busy starting arguments to notice!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I think the tanking theory all depends on where Pitt is in the standings (1st or 2nd) and who is in 7th, 8th and 9th. It is hard to tell now because you don't know who will be in and who is out, probably until the very last game of the season.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!
I didn't call anybody names---yet. I apologize, It's just that I have met Olie several times, and he is such a nice, decent guy, I just dont think it's fair for people to treat him like they do...so what he makes $6 million a year--the money hasn't changed him. Ovie is the same way--$$$ really isn't a factor to him. I just have a feeling that even when the team does win the Cup, it still won't be good enough...unless Olie is off the team.

Posted by: Jeeze | March 28, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Mauree - really? I think Sid will try and help Malkin get the scoring title - just to spite Alex. I hope they don't tank... and I hope Philly only wins one game - NYI...
Remember, MTL and PIT are still fighting for Home Ice Advantage... NJ and OTT are still in the hunt for that.

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

828:
A new perspecitve! Very interesting ... good points.

CT Caps Fan:
Still my hero ...

mauree:
Are you SURE that English is your second language?!? The way it just flows off of your, uh, fingertips, it is hard to believe!! :-) Anyway, I did expect something from you (given our old exchanges about Olie), but not exactly that! LOL!! Having said that, the only thing that I really take exception with is the fact that Olie bashed the team. I remember when people used to complain about that and I just didn't get it. I read a lot of Caps coverage, always watch the online post-game interviews, etc. - I never had the same perception. I think people just read a lot into his comments. I think people over-reacted (hmm ... I am seeing a trend ...). But that's just me - what do I know?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

828,

More than bragging rights for finishing 1st in the Conference. Home advantage all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Jeeze, don't buy that... the Caps win the cup, everyone is the hero.
I don't think Olie is all about the money either, however, if he wants to play in the NHL, he will have to take a pay cut. I would like him to stay in Washington and retire here and get his number hung up. However, I don't think the Caps should pay him anywhere close to what he makes this year because the Caps have to think about the future and sign guys like Green.

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

@828
Not worried about Sid, but I think Therrien won't particularly push against PHI. Especially if, as I suspect, it will mean choose between them and us.

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
So sorry I missed it! That pesky thing called work is ALWAYS getting in the way! So distracting when I have Caps reading to do ... darn work.

Jeeze:
I hear ya - he is a decent guy and has been very loyal, so it is frustrating. But at least he gets his props on the ice - people chant his name and cheer when he is announced. He is loved and appreciated ... even if he is picked apart by some. It was great to see him after he hit 300 - I am sure he was feelin' the love that night!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Mauree - if they tank... well crap, I can't hate Pit more than I already do.

I'll have to ask me friend what he thinks - he is a huge Pit fan... he too is worried about playing the Caps. He was at the Min game with me and Cooke got the Shorty - first thing he said - that is why I dont want to play the Caps, they are unpredictable and very dangerous... made me feel good.

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Philly tied it up ... :-|

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

3-3 - Devils Philly... WTF - is there no justice in this world?

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Philly 3-3

Come on Devils - can't even let them get a point.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

What the F is wrong with the Devils. Argh.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 28, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't you just hate Cindy Crosby,(not sidney) the cry baby,but don't count out Danny Briere for that category either.

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

But that's just me - what do I know?!?
You know more than me, that's for sure, I only started following the NHL seriously 4 years ago, and the Caps a couple of years ago. But I'm really passionate about the Caps now :D - in fact I think that even clouds my judgment at times (re: the refs).

I was referring to a couple of specific interviews (Caps TV) a couple of months ago - I remember a certain guru picked up on that and I (gasp!) agreed with him lol.

Those are just my opinions - and not written in stone, I'm learning from all you guys/girls. That's why I like this blog in particular, a lot of hockey knowledge here to learn from.

Ouch Philly just scored :( they're tied now that really sucks. A softie - slow glove by Brodeur from the distance.

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

What's worse is that the goal was a floater by Randy Jones

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

It would be sweet if a former Caps like Zubrus would help their ex teammates out a lil

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 28, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy:
You mean the way Halpren did?!? :-P

mauree:
Don't sell yourself short - you strike me as a pretty bright dude. I like reading your posts - even when they are wrong. ;-) (HA!)

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Gionta!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
One hundred lines: I will never ever let work come before the Caps.

On my desk at 9 tomorrow!

Under 6 mins for the Devils to give us a hand.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

That would be sweet sombrero guy

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Make that under 6 minutes for the Devils to hang on!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Devils up 4-3 and now are on the PP... 5 min to go... score here, game over.

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

DEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRE(Gionta I think.Wow that's hard to root for the Devils though.

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

devils scored!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
Tell me how to get it to you, and I'll do it! Otherwise I will have to pass - I am guessing folks don't want to see that here 100 times ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Bring out the Devil trap for the rest of this game

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Bring out the Devil trap for the rest of this game

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Carolina pulling away,and Buffalo Tied at one

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Devils...

Posted by: Dinger | March 28, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Devils...

Posted by: Dinger | March 28, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Is everyone holding their breath?!? This could be it! This could be the break that we needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Boo! - this is still small - we need them to lose to NYI tomorrow night as well. And, it wouldn't hurt BOS to lose tomorrow and Sunday... and of course the Caps need to win tomorrow.

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

oh my god they tied it.

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Flyers scored,crap.

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

DRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUGGER ME!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Spoke too soon...

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

At this rate, we may catch the Devils

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't believe it

4-4 with 55 seconds to go.

That's it I'm officially off to bed.

Boo,
Not sure how you can get me the lines but just as well as I don't work Saturdays so I wouldn't have been there to check they had arrived!

Night all.

Depressed Dave

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

This is not going well Buffalo just scored.

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

K - one point... ah crap... Lets go Flyers... Lets go Flyers!!! F it, maybe rooting for the teams that we dont want to get points work... obviously its not working the other way around...

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Dave:
Just as well - I'm too depressed to write them. Hopefully they will at least lose in OT. Sleep tight.

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I am starting to think our best chance is to catch Boston. Flyers are just playing so well now.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Sweet dreams Dave.

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the current point system. Teams are very happy to bring one point home - and team stop playing if they're tied and near the end of the game. And why not? Why push it and risk to lose one point?

Maybe:

3 pts regulation win
2 pts OT win
1 pt OT loss.

So teams will want to finish it in regulation.

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Buff 3-1

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Shootout.

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable. Friggin Devils. Out to enjoy Colorado Springs. At least I have a bar in Denver lined up to watch the game tomorrow.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 28, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

bears lose

Posted by: uncatim | March 28, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Devils win

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Devils win

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Only got one point - could have been worse!

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Probably just as good that Buffalo will get points tonight. It they are still in it, they will play hard and we need them to do that.

The sad thing is that we are getting a look at the future and probably won't have anything but the 14th pick in the draft to show for it. The dreadful start and a very sluggish February where the Caps peed away far too many points gathering their second wind will probably doom us for another year. At least I hope it isn't any longer.

I just hope this is 1982 all over again instead of 1980. Eventually, this team is going to be very good whether we sign Huet or not.

Posted by: Old Bob | March 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Gotta get 2 tomorrow.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

PHI plays NYI tomorrow then twice the Pens and NJD again.
If the Pens don't tank it, there's hope. But: let's win tomorrow boys!!!

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

On Olie vs Huet:

"Just win baby."

Posted by: Steve R | March 28, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Well at least Filthadelphia only got one point. MAN those OTL's are saving the Bruins and Flyers.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 28, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Montreal scored 3-2 Buffalo

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
AMEN!!!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Montreal tied it!!!!!!!! 3-3

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

This could actually be the best case. If Montreal wins in OT, Buff gets one to keep them alive but they ONLY get one

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 28, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

@Boo,

"It's really not worth it - no need to resort to name calling"

I don't know about that Boo, you did make fun of soccer the other night...

Posted by: Steve R | March 28, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Montreal wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss baby yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

My name now = CA(CALIFORNIA)Caps fan.

Posted by: Blank | March 28, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

BuF got one point... keeps them hungry... Can BOS and PHI just lose 3 more games each... that's all I want.

BOS - OTT, BUF, BUF - all loses.
PHI - PIT, PIT, NJ - all loses.

In regulation - period.

Caps - there is only one thing to do - "Win the whole f'ing thing" ~ Major League

Posted by: 828 | March 28, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
LOL!!! I did not make fun of soccer, per se, I just questioned whether or not you had your priorities straight ... :-P (and you still have not told me whether or not it was worth it!) So, all of the craziness on the board today and you bite onto that?!? Silly bear ... (not that I am calling you a name, or anything ;-)).

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

828:
we don't "need" them to lose that many, do we?

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@Boo,

Seriously though, in my opinion a double standard does exist re Olie vs Huet. But it "appears" to me that the team "looks" more confident with Huet in net. That could well be my opinions tinting the picture that I see on the ice a certain way, not sure, but I do believe that Huet gives the Caps a better chance to win.

Posted by: Steve R | March 28, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Just got off work. Took me better part of an hour to read all the posts. Looks like I didn't miss much. haha
Running JP's predictor, Caps need to run the table, and Canes need to lose at least two (in regulation and including the game against the Caps) for us to catch them. Otherwise, we tie and I don't think we win the tie-breaker.
Philly and Boston losing two in regulation (which Boston seems incapable of doing these days) with the Rangers running their collective table, puts us in at #8 with a point over Philly.
Okay, I think I did that right, but my brain hurts. I guess I know what I'll be doing April 5th--drinking heavily in sadness, or drinking heavily in celebration.
I've been a Caps fan for less than a year and already I'm so excited/nervous/proud that my heart does weird things every time I think about hockey.

Lets go Caps!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 28, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Steve:

I agree - Huet is more consistent and, therefore, more likely to lead us to victory. Too bad, though - it sure would be nice to see Olie lead the Caps to a Cup after all of these years. (Beyond that, I just love it when you agree with me!! ;-))

BTW, it is open season tomorrow night - I HAVE to go out and, therefore, will not be watching the game live, but rather late courtesy of my DVR. :-( So go ahead - start picking ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

*shakes head disapprovingly*

hehe jk have fun :D

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Pretty cool short clips "The cup changes everything":

Posted by: mauree | March 28, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Stay up late for me, mauree - I will log on after I watch ... probably around midnight or so!! ;-) (Why do I think I will be here all alone?!?)

Posted by: Boo! | March 28, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo,
I'll be up, but unfortunately, I've got a bunch of drunken yahoos hanging out at my house tomorrow night starting right after the game. I'll try to look in from time to time and comment so you won't feel so alone.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 28, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

As i read you guys here on a daily basis. I can not believe how unfair/disloyal has been towards Kolzig.

The guy may have lost a step but he was Mr. Capital until Ovies cruised in!!!!

Who says the Huet will want to sign on here? Are there are any guarantees? Let's pause before we Fed-ex Olie out of town.

He gave his best years to a very bad team the last few years!!!!

Olie Thank you!!!!!

Posted by: CRSCK32 | March 29, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

@CRSCK32

Yeah, Olie got 300 wins, now let's keep him until he gets 100 years old.

Are you guys insane?

It's a professional sports franchise, not a retirement community. Even Michael Jordan retired. He could've stick like Kolzig with Chicago Bulls for another 100 years, but he retired.

Posted by: Yo | March 29, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Okay, so we beat Florida tomorrow, Carolina loses to Tampa, we beat Carolina on Tuesday and we're tied for the division (other than Carolina's tie-breaker with the extra win at that point).

As long as we win these two games, I think it looks good since Tampa can't stand Carolina, and has been playing way better lately, and aren't moping around (in large part due to Halpern's energy on the third line making the sleeping giants wake up on the first line).

I don't know about our game against Florida, but I have a feeling Tampa is going to shoot down Carolina tonight.

Posted by: Pete | March 29, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

What we've got here, is ... failure to communicate.

LOL - Your argument about Olie was as funny as Larry the Cable Guy.

Thank you. I needed that.

(p.s. the circus is looking for clowns)

Posted by: Captain | March 29, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

CRSCK32:
You tell 'em!! :-) Olie deserves more respect. Not that he should play forever, but he is not the chump that many make him out to be. I hope he gets an opportunity to play again before he leaves ... Actually, I hope he will come back as a #2 (1B?) and help take the Caps to the Cup. It sounds like it is up to him - he'll have to be willing to not be #1 and to take less money. So far I get the sense that he is not willing to do that.

Captain:
Who are you talking to?

Man ... it seems like MONTHS since I have been to a Caps game! Has it really only been a couple of weeks?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 29, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!
See? Great minds think alike :D

The standings are the last thing I check at night and the first in the morning lol... brain-pushing for small variations.

Remember some time ago when we thought it wouldn't take the same points as last year to make the playoff? Some even ventured to say it would be enough with 88. Now I'm not sure 92 will do.

Posted by: mauree | March 29, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

mauree:
I know - I was just looking at the standings. We really do need to win them all, and someone needs to lose a couple. I hope I can go out to dinner tonight knowing that the Bruins have lost!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | March 29, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Is it too much to ask for Philly to be tired and tank tonight? And the same for Carolina - is it too much to ask for them to be tired, worn out from traveling, and for Tampa to have another monster game? Is it?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 29, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

And for Boston to lose today then be tired tomorrow!

Posted by: mauree | March 29, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

mauree:
Yes, I fully expect Boston to lose this afternoon. If they don't, then I can't go out and enjoy my evening. Yup, they had best lose, or they are going to have to contend with me ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 29, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I was also taken in by the 88 possibility, but 88 rarely gets it done any more. Winning an absolutely dreadful division is the only way it can realistically happen. Parity and three point games ensures that 94 is almost the minimum. The teams scrapping for the last place are all trying so hard that several teams that were once safely in, are starting to come back to the bubble teams.

Posted by: Old Bob | March 29, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

What a lineup today. If feels like a Saturday of College Football. I need the NHL Center Ice Package today.

Posted by: SA_Town | March 29, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

The hockey gods have been against us all season, and have made things very difficult. Boston must lose some games. Carlina will run out of gas. It will come down to next saturdays game against Florida. But what a ride it's been!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 29, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Interesting night last night. We're within 2 of Boston and 3 of Philly. I expect Boston to lose tonight against Ottowa, but Philly to tie or win against the Isles. I know we're tired from being on the road for the past 6 games, but this game is very winnable, and is a must win. We could very easily go to bed tonight in 8th, and be 2-3 points behind Philly. That's reachable too, given the schedules.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 29, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Greg, BOS plays at 1pm

And yeah we could be tied for 8th (but BOS one game in hand) or if things go very wrong we could be out of the playoffs altogether tonight.

I know our boys must be tired - but it's time to collect all energies and give all tonight. Then 3 precious days of rest.

Posted by: mauree | March 29, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

One thing, though. We HAVE to play FULL 60 minute games and play them HARD!!! Forechecking all around, hitting has to increase, the offensive zone pressure has to be intense, shots on net (not around it) with bodies in front to clean up the messy rebounds and get deflections. Last of all, NEVER LET UP THE PRESSURE! Even if we're up 8-1.

We're grabbing the tiger by the tail this year. If we let it go, we'll be eaten up. If we just hang on, we'll be beaten up. We have to fight and climb our way up onto the back of this beast and ride it. That takes perseverence. I hope we have it.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 29, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Key weekend for Boston. Ottawa today, at Buffalo tomorrow. No more in hand games after this weekend.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 29, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@Winston Greg

What you wrote reminded me of this:

We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air.
We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be.
We shall fight on beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,
We shall fight in the fields and in the streets.
We shall fight in the hills,
We shall never surrender.

:D GO BOYS!

Posted by: mauree | March 29, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Massive day today folks.

Manchester United vs Aston Villa at 5:15 (1:15 your time!) with the Reds hopefully taking a step closer to their 17th English title.

What's that I hear? "No-one cares!"

Ok so there is also the small matter of Caps vs Cats, Bolts vs Canes, Bs vs Sens, Flyers vs Isles.

If everything went to plan we would be:
2 points back from the Canes (both 3 games left)
level with Boston (they would have a game in hand)
1 point behind Philly (both 3 games to go)

Oh and United would be 8 points clear of Chelsea with 6 games left!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 29, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I like # 91 better that # 92

Posted by: Livinit | March 29, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Good posts above, and I agree - when are these teams going to lose? This is frustrating to not gain any ground. One thing is for sure: if we win out and still don't make it, we can look back at that 6-14-1 record at Thanksgiving and know that was the difference. Imagine where we would be with the reverse of that record... Go Caps!

Posted by: Roose | March 29, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
You are not alone - there is a ManU/Caps divide in this house ... :-X Thank goodness we have more than one TV!! ;-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEEGURU!!!
I am sorry that you have not received your present yet, but it is not quite together. However, if all goes well, by the end of the day you will receive:

A loss for Boston
A loss for Philly
and ...
A BIG WIN FOR THE CAPS!!

I figured it was the least "I" could do for your big 4-0! ;-) So be a good birthday boy and you will receive all this and more before midnight. Otherwise you will turn into a pumpkin, along with our Cinderella story. :-( Anyway ... MAY YOU HAVE A BIRTHDAY THAT IS FIT FOR A GURU!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse