Caps Sign RW Motzko

The Caps have signed RW Joe Motzko to a two-year contract. It's a depth signing, meaning he'll probably spend the season in Hershey, Pa.. But he could be used as a fill-in with Washington if there are injuries next season.

The 27-year-old Minnesota native finished last season with the Stanely Cup champion Ducks, but only saw action in three playoff games including one in the finals. He has just one goal in 11 regular season NHL games, but he's a pretty good AHL player, from what I'm told.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 10, 2007; 11:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crosby Gets a New Deal
Next: Summer Development Camp Roster

Comments

This is the signing that we've been waiting for! Joe Motzko will bring the CUP to Washington!

J/K, but I can't think of any negatives for bringing this guy on. Welcome to Washington, Joe.

Posted by: The Cup | July 10, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering if the Caps need to sign a legitimate NHL blueliner and if this signing means one of the Bears is on the way out? I've noted that some decent blueliners have been signing elsewhere, such as Aaron Miller, Sean Hill, Vishnevski, Rachunek, Darryl Sydor, Jassen Cullimore, Jamie Rivers, and especailly Ken Klee. These are not great defensemen, but many of these are veterans who'd improve a weak defense and tutor the young defensemen. I like the Poti signing a lot having watched him play for the Rangers (I didn't see him much for the Islanders). I like some of the Caps young dee (Schultz, Green, Morrison) and the additions from last year (Porthier and Jurcina), but still a veteran might just solidify. What do others think? As for the done Bear, who do folks think just lost a roster spot, what prospect turned out to be a bust?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

As far as the Bears go, they've lost at least Tenute, Hendricks, Wiseman and Brennan from the forward ranks. There are others that are still up in the air, like Robitaille. Motzko probably fills in for Tenute's spot.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the genius of McPhee just keeps getting stronger. Motzko can also speak english and help out with Alzners transition. Way to go McPhee!

Posted by: The Rock | July 10, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I said this a month or two ago -- I thought Sean Hill would have been a really good signing. He signed for nothing (obviously that's his own fault, and he won't be playing for a few months), but he would really have helped with experience on the blue line and plays with a mean streak (um, roid-rage anyone?). Obviously a moot point now, but...I wouldn't be surprised if he is available at the trade deadline.

Posted by: Jeff | July 10, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse