Caps Sign S. Morrisonn, Bourque and Pinizzotto

Defenseman Shaone Morrisonn and Chris Bourque have signed their qualifying offers, GM George McPhee said. Prospect Steve Pinizzotto, meantime, has signed a two-year, two-way contract.

The deadline for the others is 5 p.m.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 15, 2009; 3:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Announce Regular Season Schedule
Next: TV: NBC Extension, Post-Olympic Plans Shelved?

Comments

ShaMo signed, eh? Now I'm no accountant, but it would seem to me the Capitals now have negative monies with respect to the salary cap...

Posted by: SmallZ827 | July 15, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

When is Schultz gonna sign? Interesting to see Morrisonn still in the fold, and I like the Pinizzotto signing.

Posted by: reesem37 | July 15, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg S. | July 15, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Teams can go over the cap by 10% as long as they're square by opening night, correct? I wonder who is going to get moved..

Posted by: thiazzi | July 15, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Greg, thanks for Depressing me... :'(

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 15, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@thiazzi

Yeah, we're allowed to be above it now, but that means somebody's gotta go, especially if Jurcina gets a higher amount from arbitration than they're expecting. Unless I am wrong about our cap room, but I don't think so.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | July 15, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Fehr and Schultz..watchya gonna do?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 15, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Puck actually drops at 7:07 or so, b`ut I'll let that go....

Wow, I was wrong about Mo. Guess he couldn't match his arb award +10%. Interesting the Fehr and Schultz are holding out. Fehr's once promissing future is kind of iffy, so I don't know what he's expecting if he declines it.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | July 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

hbcapsfan

No, man! This is our time to get in shape for the season. Make sure that the beer arm is in good shape, that the beer nuts are in good supply, directions to the sports bar is set, that the "team" is established and knows what the schedule is, spouses are notified of your extended absences... Lots of work to do!

Posted by: Greg S. | July 15, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

In previous threads you mentioned that many teams would be interested in Theo and that he still possesses trade value. My impression is that GMGM tried to shop both him and Nylander for a bag of pucks.

Posted by: C-way | July 15, 2009 12:59 PM |

Oh really? That's weird considering I have been, along with kittypawz and others, have been saying to keep Theo.

The only time I may have mentioned it is when I found out BJ was still being talked too, as you yourself mentioned. If BJ is being talked to, then wouldn't a logical conclusion be that Theo might be out?

Anyways, maybe you should get your sh** together before you put words in people's mouths.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Mo's QO would have been identical to what he earned last year. Players earning less than a million (i think that is the cutoff) get the raises, but over a million a QO is status quo.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | July 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

caps go 1 month between home games (feb 7-march 4).

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 15, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Fehr and Schultz combined for around 1.4 mil last year. Take their QO's out of the equation, and how does our cap look?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 15, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Now I have a little more hope about Schultz becoming a Pen.

I know he would be somewhat of a gamble (not a giant one due to his low salary), but I think he's still got a bunch of potential. With ShaMo signed ... it's easy to think Schultz will be allowed to walk ... and hopefully he walks into the Pens D-corps.

Truth is, he needs a fresh start. With the beating he takes on web boards and also at the games, new scenery would do him good.

Posted by: PensFan98 | July 15, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

QO's are as follows (per CBA)

Less than or equal to $660,000, 110%
Between 660,001 and $1 M, 105%
Over $1 M, 100%.

These are the minimums, not the percent that the QO is for. So it's entirel possible for a team to make a QO in excess of the QO percent shown.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 15, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice that we don't have a new year's day game this season?

Posted by: Boo- | July 15, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

What is Giroux's status? I hear little about him these days.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | July 15, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

COME ON 5:00!!!!! GO, GO, GO, GO

No signing by Schultz = solid defensive corps.

Posted by: drewsie | July 15, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Boo

Yes, TEB explained that only the WC is being played on New Years Day.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 15, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Could it be our prayers are answered. It is 5:15 and nada on Schultz.

Posted by: ERHDC1 | July 15, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey Pensfan98,

please take Shultz...you think he has potential? Go for it....slowest guy in the NHL...

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 15, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

(REPOST)
Ogie Oglethorpe in a Caps jersey.
Posted by: fanohock1 | July 15, 2009 1:36 PM

@fanohock1:

OK, fine, 3,000 + PIM’s, etc., etc.

However, regarding pride vs. shame, we’ll have to agree to disagree. The real point is that although Huntzie may indeed have been a goon by some standards, he was nevertheless OUR goon!

I will always remember a faceoff he took against Yzerman in the SC Final in '98: The immediate stinky glove that followed spoke volumes about his courage in refusing to be intimidated by the Red Wings mystique.

Posted by: Rhino40 | July 15, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Softest big guy in the NHL too.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 15, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Phil-
Chill. Please.

Posted by: C-way | July 15, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Softest big guy in the NHL too.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 15, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

come on...we all know he's the next Chara. He's tall. That proves it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 15, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Dale Hunter was no goon. Anyone who scored over 1000 points in the NHL is no goon nor was he big enough to be a goon. He was one of those rare players who had absolutely no fear of anything or anyone when he was on the ice. yes, he did some stupid things as well but you win with guys like Hunter.

Posted by: joek443 | July 15, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

No No No No... Please Trade Him

Posted by: Tprpolen | July 15, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

What is Giroux's status? I hear little about him these days.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | July 15, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it the oilers have signed him to a 1 way deal

Posted by: Tprpolen | July 15, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

good, I'm not the biggest Shultz fan but it's way too early to give up on him.

Posted by: joek443 | July 15, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

That's a good move.

He's young. And the contract is peanuts.

I'd have done the same.